Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Did You Have To Learn Cursive in School?
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 15
Yes, in 2nd and 3rd grade. We had to use it for writing stuff up until 6th grade, where assignments now had to be typed for the most parts. From then on anything handwritten has solely been in print.

I can still kind of write cursive, but I'm not as good as I used to. Pretty much the only time I write in cursive nowadays is for my signature.
Yes, in 2nd and 3rd grade. We had to use it for writing stuff up until 6th grade, where assignments now had to be typed for the most parts. From then on anything handwritten has solely been in print.

I can still kind of write cursive, but I'm not as good as I used to. Pretty much the only time I write in cursive nowadays is for my signature.
mapleshaiku_siggy.png
yeah we had to up to 6th grade. i won a handwriting award in 4th and 6th grade; since the school was 4-6 i was bummed i didn't even try to enter it in 5th grade coulda swept the competition

i actually really liked cursive writing i know it wasn't popular tho
yeah we had to up to 6th grade. i won a handwriting award in 4th and 6th grade; since the school was 4-6 i was bummed i didn't even try to enter it in 5th grade coulda swept the competition

i actually really liked cursive writing i know it wasn't popular tho
yzUX307.png
I live in the US, and in elementary school there was heavy emphasis on learning cursive. "In middle school, they won't let you write in print! Only cursive!" Got to middle school... Only English classes -- depending on the teacher -- wanted cursive. I got "In high school, they won't let you write in print! Only cursive!". Get to high school... No teacher ever encouraged cursive at all.
I live in the US, and in elementary school there was heavy emphasis on learning cursive. "In middle school, they won't let you write in print! Only cursive!" Got to middle school... Only English classes -- depending on the teacher -- wanted cursive. I got "In high school, they won't let you write in print! Only cursive!". Get to high school... No teacher ever encouraged cursive at all.
I did, back in the late 80s in elementary school - 3rd grade. It took me a while, since I'm left-handed, and I had to position my paper and hold my pen differently, but I loved and still love writing in cursive. I teach now, and most of my high-schoolers don't know because it isn't taught in our public school system. I do have some who are into lettering, and are practicing on their own to master cursive writing.
I did, back in the late 80s in elementary school - 3rd grade. It took me a while, since I'm left-handed, and I had to position my paper and hold my pen differently, but I loved and still love writing in cursive. I teach now, and most of my high-schoolers don't know because it isn't taught in our public school system. I do have some who are into lettering, and are practicing on their own to master cursive writing.
noli timere tempestatem. tempestas est res pulchra. ama tempestatem et gaude in pulchritudine.
595bwIn.png
nunc, ad tuas labores reveni!
I really wish they continued it. We learned half of it (half the alphabet, y'know) in 2nd grade and it never carried over :(
I really wish they continued it. We learned half of it (half the alphabet, y'know) in 2nd grade and it never carried over :(
I was forced into it for most of elementary to middle school.

Cursive has sort of morphed into my everyday style since then. I've never been any good at it, though, and my handwriting is still as atrocious as ever.
I was forced into it for most of elementary to middle school.

Cursive has sort of morphed into my everyday style since then. I've never been any good at it, though, and my handwriting is still as atrocious as ever.
They taught that in elementary school here, if that's the right category of school, but they didn't really care afterwards. Stuck to it for a while, didn't like how painful it was to read for others, so I switched to print and now it looks worse :v
They taught that in elementary school here, if that's the right category of school, but they didn't really care afterwards. Stuck to it for a while, didn't like how painful it was to read for others, so I switched to print and now it looks worse :v
This thread makes me feel old.

My schools required it for elementary through middle. Once I hit high school everything was required to be typed if at all possible (electric typewriters were just being made available at school) or else legible cursive. Then again, my instructors at the time were mostly in their 60's and were accustomed to reading cursive.

By the time I hit college the TAs didn't care as long as it was easy to read.

Now I use both interchangeably unless I'm writing out anything I may have to show someone else like recipe cards to avoid having them look at me like I've written in some fantasy language they're not familiar with.
This thread makes me feel old.

My schools required it for elementary through middle. Once I hit high school everything was required to be typed if at all possible (electric typewriters were just being made available at school) or else legible cursive. Then again, my instructors at the time were mostly in their 60's and were accustomed to reading cursive.

By the time I hit college the TAs didn't care as long as it was easy to read.

Now I use both interchangeably unless I'm writing out anything I may have to show someone else like recipe cards to avoid having them look at me like I've written in some fantasy language they're not familiar with.
I want to live in Theory. Everything works there.

Have you checked the Gem MP for Gene and Breed scrolls before buying an AH listing from me ending in 5g?
Yes but from highschool onwards, no one particularly wanted or cared about cursive anymore. As for filling out forms/paperwork as an adult, just print - always print. It's been ages since I deliberately wrote anything in cursive.
Yes but from highschool onwards, no one particularly wanted or cared about cursive anymore. As for filling out forms/paperwork as an adult, just print - always print. It's been ages since I deliberately wrote anything in cursive.
Does that Pokemon fandragon exist yet? Check out this thread, where you can find Pokemon fandragons in one place :)
I was homeschooled and apparently wanted to learn cursive.

So I did.

And now only print when I know someone else is going to read it because apparently people can't read cursive.

My printing kinda sucks, but apparently is more legible than cursive.

I just... cursive is so much faster and honestly easier for me. I don't like printing.
I was homeschooled and apparently wanted to learn cursive.

So I did.

And now only print when I know someone else is going to read it because apparently people can't read cursive.

My printing kinda sucks, but apparently is more legible than cursive.

I just... cursive is so much faster and honestly easier for me. I don't like printing.
Ljw7JvQ.png
dBieivA.png
VL4xbrl.png
WI7lnRZ.png
RYOGC9t.png v886aA7.png etQ32zN.png
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 15