Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Did You Have To Learn Cursive in School?
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 15
I spent like one day back in 3rd grade and then one day last year in French class on cursive writing. I can somewhat sign my name, but that's about it. It takes me a while to be able to even read it and I have to stare at some words for a while to be able to make it out. It really frustrates me because my school distirict basically changes how they teach it or even if they will teach it year to year and only for kids in like 3rd or 4th grade.
I spent like one day back in 3rd grade and then one day last year in French class on cursive writing. I can somewhat sign my name, but that's about it. It takes me a while to be able to even read it and I have to stare at some words for a while to be able to make it out. It really frustrates me because my school distirict basically changes how they teach it or even if they will teach it year to year and only for kids in like 3rd or 4th grade.
tq6VrgN.png

Mai/Mat
he/they/it
They weren't part of the school curriculum anymore, but my third grade teacher still made us practice them as morning warm ups.

I'm glad she did because I really like writing cursive now!
They weren't part of the school curriculum anymore, but my third grade teacher still made us practice them as morning warm ups.

I'm glad she did because I really like writing cursive now!
yehet! oho, rat!----

J A E

She/They
INFJ | Gemini
USA: Fr+3
1157000853.png
-- tumblr_osqe959pr91v8lm95o1_75sq.gif
.-listen-

previously StarGatherer
LF swan lake vista
Yep. And I was told repeatedly that in the 5th grade my teachers wouldn't accept any work that wasn't done in cursive, including tests. That was enough to scare my perfectionist butt into learning it. The moment I actually got to 5th grade and learned that they didn't care, I stopped writing in cursive. I didn't like doing it, I wasn't good enough to make it pretty and neat so I always spent way too much time trying. I ended up developing my own print-cursive hybrid handwriting style anyway. *shrug emoji* [quote name="Wafer" date="2019-08-15 13:53:23" ] I had probably... one lesson in 2nd grade? And then fast forward to when I had to do the SAT in high school and for some reason we were required to write an entire honor code paragraph *in cursive* - it was awful [/quote] I remember being so angry about that ludicrous requirement that I wrote mine as messily as I possibly could. It was basically illegible and carved deeply into the paper. All I did was make it harder for the poor sap that graded my test but it was the only way I could think to tell College Board exactly what I thought of their dumb test and its dumb rules. It felt really good. XP
Yep. And I was told repeatedly that in the 5th grade my teachers wouldn't accept any work that wasn't done in cursive, including tests. That was enough to scare my perfectionist butt into learning it. The moment I actually got to 5th grade and learned that they didn't care, I stopped writing in cursive. I didn't like doing it, I wasn't good enough to make it pretty and neat so I always spent way too much time trying. I ended up developing my own print-cursive hybrid handwriting style anyway. *shrug emoji*
Wafer wrote on 2019-08-15 13:53:23:
I had probably... one lesson in 2nd grade? And then fast forward to when I had to do the SAT in high school and for some reason we were required to write an entire honor code paragraph *in cursive* - it was awful

I remember being so angry about that ludicrous requirement that I wrote mine as messily as I possibly could. It was basically illegible and carved deeply into the paper. All I did was make it harder for the poor sap that graded my test but it was the only way I could think to tell College Board exactly what I thought of their dumb test and its dumb rules. It felt really good. XP
EWVk32n.png 2myBCp7.png vnzi22K.png EZm008o.png O0Pbuvo.png
My 4th grade teacher had us write every paper except spelling tests in cursive for the whole year and now I have gorgeous handwriting.

It's also a pretty cool secret code bc no one knows what I'm writing when am asked to write on the board, as a consequence teachers learn not to ask me to write on the board.

My 4th grade teacher had us write every paper except spelling tests in cursive for the whole year and now I have gorgeous handwriting.

It's also a pretty cool secret code bc no one knows what I'm writing when am asked to write on the board, as a consequence teachers learn not to ask me to write on the board.

ca4nyRv.pngrcLDXY6.pngxCVbB5p.png
tumblr_inline_nmplalyfet1qfq1fk_500.gif
(quentintarantino)
Hong Kong. I am not sure if they still teach it, but I used to learn cursive back when I was in Primary 4-6 (equivalent to grade 4 to 6, I believe). We had these handwriting exercise books to assist (torture) us. [img]https://media.karousell.com/media/photos/products/2018/06/26/longman_write_to_learn_6_handwriting__copybook_1529992003_d1cda1bf.jpg[/img] (Source: Google) Occasionally the teacher assigns us two or more pages for homework (even more if a holiday is near). But as you can imagine, it is hard for a ten-year-old to sit down and trace lines on paper with a pencil, especially if you have to copy an entire sentence countless times (2-4 times, but it often feels like it would take forever). We started with individual letters, before moving straight on to full sentences. Very often I would get a B, but if I give in a bit of extra effort I might score an A. And of course, we had to turn in all of our English assignments in cursive from then on. I got the hang of it eventually, but it was hard work. I've abandoned it after graduating from Primary school though. Since then I've reverted back to writing in block letters. But looking back, I really do miss the days where I had to write in cursive. Times were simpler then.
Hong Kong.

I am not sure if they still teach it, but I used to learn cursive back when I was in Primary 4-6 (equivalent to grade 4 to 6, I believe). We had these handwriting exercise books to assist (torture) us.

longman_write_to_learn_6_handwriting__copybook_1529992003_d1cda1bf.jpg
(Source: Google)

Occasionally the teacher assigns us two or more pages for homework (even more if a holiday is near). But as you can imagine, it is hard for a ten-year-old to sit down and trace lines on paper with a pencil, especially if you have to copy an entire sentence countless times (2-4 times, but it often feels like it would take forever). We started with individual letters, before moving straight on to full sentences. Very often I would get a B, but if I give in a bit of extra effort I might score an A.

And of course, we had to turn in all of our English assignments in cursive from then on. I got the hang of it eventually, but it was hard work.

I've abandoned it after graduating from Primary school though. Since then I've reverted back to writing in block letters. But looking back, I really do miss the days where I had to write in cursive. Times were simpler then.
ALL OF MY THIRD GRADE we had to learn cursive. ALL OF IT.

Like, everything we did had to be written twice. Once normally, then the other in cursive. It was a pain in the neck.

And the weird thing now? I write in HALF cursive now. Can't help it, my letters just go together the right way sometimes, and they end up connected. =\
ALL OF MY THIRD GRADE we had to learn cursive. ALL OF IT.

Like, everything we did had to be written twice. Once normally, then the other in cursive. It was a pain in the neck.

And the weird thing now? I write in HALF cursive now. Can't help it, my letters just go together the right way sometimes, and they end up connected. =\
emVSLIq.png
I have my own website for things I've made!
SquishyPanda
i had to in third grade and now i only know how to write my name
i had to in third grade and now i only know how to write my name
WHO_IS_THIS_MAN.gif
Yes, I can write in cursive. I learned/used cursive throughout all my school years so far. I'm so used to writing in cursive, I can't write in script. Honestly, I believe cursive is very useful and a wonderful thing to learn how to read/write. If we do not know cursive, we cannot read a lot of history.
Yes, I can write in cursive. I learned/used cursive throughout all my school years so far. I'm so used to writing in cursive, I can't write in script. Honestly, I believe cursive is very useful and a wonderful thing to learn how to read/write. If we do not know cursive, we cannot read a lot of history.
I can't write in cursive with a pen, I can, however, with a quill.

I was home schooled. I don't now if they had those classes... I never went to the school parties willingly.

I'm somewhat good at graphology with certain historical notes, and I am currently using my obsessive analyzing skills to decode crossed-out words in letters.
I can't write in cursive with a pen, I can, however, with a quill.

I was home schooled. I don't now if they had those classes... I never went to the school parties willingly.

I'm somewhat good at graphology with certain historical notes, and I am currently using my obsessive analyzing skills to decode crossed-out words in letters.
Call me Requacy (Pinging Allowed!)(Note to self: Make art for signature)
Learned to write cursive in third grade which in the 90s’ was the standard for most of the US. From what I remember the third grade teacher I had usually used worksheets to teach us. Also, had a teacher’s aide in 4th grade that taught us some calligraphy but it wasn’t required; she taught because she knew how to write in calligraphic script, and it was a random fun exercise to teach students. It never stuck with me though.

To be fair, the SAT one is actually because that paragraph is meant to be your signature/ proof you’re not going to cheat; mostly harkens to when you would sign or write legal documents in cursive. I.e the same idea that your signature is in cursive.

I’m actually glad I learned cursive though since I switch between using both on a regular basis when writing. Also, helps in decoding historical documents( I have both a history BA and 2 MAs, one of which is in European Studies and a lot of old primary documents were written in cursive script.

Learned to write cursive in third grade which in the 90s’ was the standard for most of the US. From what I remember the third grade teacher I had usually used worksheets to teach us. Also, had a teacher’s aide in 4th grade that taught us some calligraphy but it wasn’t required; she taught because she knew how to write in calligraphic script, and it was a random fun exercise to teach students. It never stuck with me though.

To be fair, the SAT one is actually because that paragraph is meant to be your signature/ proof you’re not going to cheat; mostly harkens to when you would sign or write legal documents in cursive. I.e the same idea that your signature is in cursive.

I’m actually glad I learned cursive though since I switch between using both on a regular basis when writing. Also, helps in decoding historical documents( I have both a history BA and 2 MAs, one of which is in European Studies and a lot of old primary documents were written in cursive script.

Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.- Le petit prince.
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 15