Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Did You Have To Learn Cursive in School?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 15
i did, in second grade or so. then my fifth grade teacher said “never write in cursive i hate it” and so i stopped. to this day i cannot write or read anything in cursive whatsoever. LOL
i did, in second grade or so. then my fifth grade teacher said “never write in cursive i hate it” and so i stopped. to this day i cannot write or read anything in cursive whatsoever. LOL
y6Tz96p.png
5hF3FGk.png
yeah, but i switched back over to regular printing very soon after learning it. i still kinda know how to write it tho but printing normally is faster
yeah, but i switched back over to regular printing very soon after learning it. i still kinda know how to write it tho but printing normally is faster
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX]
2zEU4.gif

You matter.
i follow every thread i make
(+1 fr time)
5INS7.gif
They tried teaching us in fourth grade. Key word being tried.

At one point the teacher assigned us a rather large packet of cursive practice as homework. This would have been bad enough on its own, but the teacher A.) failed to give the corresponding lesson in class on how to actually write cursive and B.) either didn't give us a due date or expected it back as soon as possible.

I am the sort of person who requires a decent amount of structure in order to do certain tasks. If the situation's left too open-ended or there aren't enough instructions to begin with, I get stuck and panic. I like to think I've gotten a bit better with this, but back in fourth grade it was one long night filled with frustration.

Now imagine this sort of frustration multiplied by a class full of fourth graders and you should have some idea of how well this worked out. The teacher apologised the next day.

No one has tried to get us to use cursive in school ever since.
They tried teaching us in fourth grade. Key word being tried.

At one point the teacher assigned us a rather large packet of cursive practice as homework. This would have been bad enough on its own, but the teacher A.) failed to give the corresponding lesson in class on how to actually write cursive and B.) either didn't give us a due date or expected it back as soon as possible.

I am the sort of person who requires a decent amount of structure in order to do certain tasks. If the situation's left too open-ended or there aren't enough instructions to begin with, I get stuck and panic. I like to think I've gotten a bit better with this, but back in fourth grade it was one long night filled with frustration.

Now imagine this sort of frustration multiplied by a class full of fourth graders and you should have some idea of how well this worked out. The teacher apologised the next day.

No one has tried to get us to use cursive in school ever since.
tumblr_nknb5ifvlX1s7y9wxo5_100.pngiiadg18.png
I had to learn it in 3rd grade ( US ), and tbh I don't really mind writing in it. I really enjoy the flow of it even if I tend to forget how to write some letters. Its actually become a habit of mine to write the first letter of my last name in cursive even when I'm writing in print, it's a weird habit to have pff.

School wise there wasn't much use for it, only a couple of my teachers really wanted us to write in cursive and tried to say that it was required in college, then on they'd just say it wasn't required/useful for any part of life.
I had to learn it in 3rd grade ( US ), and tbh I don't really mind writing in it. I really enjoy the flow of it even if I tend to forget how to write some letters. Its actually become a habit of mine to write the first letter of my last name in cursive even when I'm writing in print, it's a weird habit to have pff.

School wise there wasn't much use for it, only a couple of my teachers really wanted us to write in cursive and tried to say that it was required in college, then on they'd just say it wasn't required/useful for any part of life.
sig.gif
I learned cursive in 2nd or 3rd grade. Since then, my cursive has greatly improved and my regular printing is not all that great because I rarely use it. Cursive seems to come naturally to me and it looks more elegant as well. Unless you're one of those people who can print and make it look like a nice font, I envy you.
I learned cursive in 2nd or 3rd grade. Since then, my cursive has greatly improved and my regular printing is not all that great because I rarely use it. Cursive seems to come naturally to me and it looks more elegant as well. Unless you're one of those people who can print and make it look like a nice font, I envy you.
u94F7n8.png x x FObX7rS.png Pladge16.png
I think I learned it in 1st grade and then every year they threatened that next year we would be *required* to write in it. It never happened and I rarely use it now
I think I learned it in 1st grade and then every year they threatened that next year we would be *required* to write in it. It never happened and I rarely use it now
tFtivUoURYLbG.gif
Yeah, they taught us in 1st through 3rd grade. My cursive looks terrible but i can do it. Apparently they stopped teaching it in our school and I found that a bit surprising because you need to know how to at least sign your name on checks and stuff..
Yeah, they taught us in 1st through 3rd grade. My cursive looks terrible but i can do it. Apparently they stopped teaching it in our school and I found that a bit surprising because you need to know how to at least sign your name on checks and stuff..
6U6lWPg.pngWRPJKhj.png
P E R E G R I N
rO50KyM.png
she/they
free giveaway

wishlist
art shop
HxP6kXi.pngqKZAaLK.png0jScwbh.pngxe4FQbY.pngDWI9puz.pngybizMWD.png7GFlGJN.pngTrnD1Pw.png
DHc3orZ.pngDHc3orZ.png
i'm homeschooled and my mom tried to make me learn to write in cursive years ago but i refuse to use it sjfkjgslfg i HATE IT
i'm homeschooled and my mom tried to make me learn to write in cursive years ago but i refuse to use it sjfkjgslfg i HATE IT
hopping_magpie_by_tathym-daeyqxz.gif cowboy | 19 | he/himhopping_magpie_by_tathym-daeyqxz.gif
I learned cursive in the 3rd grade, and I wrote in cursive ever since. Until 9th grade, one of my teachers pointed it out and made me feel weird about it. Because no one else wrote in cursive.
I learned cursive in the 3rd grade, and I wrote in cursive ever since. Until 9th grade, one of my teachers pointed it out and made me feel weird about it. Because no one else wrote in cursive.
tumblr_inline_nbax4xlrxv1qg78ij.png
Personally, I didn't have to learn cursive, but when I was in third grade I was FASCINATED by it. The second I caught a glance at a couple of notes my teacher at the time wrote on some sticky notes on their desk that were in cursive I was like, "ooh, what's that kinda writing? It looks pretty cool and I wanna learn to read it (maybe write it too)!" So, like the easily impressed kid that I was, I asked what it was in my "special needs downtime" free period class (I'm one of those people that thinks differently than most do; they replied Cursive btw) and if I could learn it. At first, they were like, "Nah, fam, that's 6th grade level stuff, you'll learn it in 6th grade (spoilers, we didn't)," but then I insisted on learning it and they ended up caving after some hesitation.

It took me a while to grasp the concept of the neat, squiggly letters, but once I did I was on a rOLL. I used it so much that my actual teacher asked me to stop writing in it because they could barely read cursive themselves. Since then, I only wrote my name in cursive and made sure to refresh my memory on what the other letters looked like every few years and now I can pretty much write effectively both in print and cursive, save for a few capitol letters that I either can't remember the look of or barely remember for the sheer fact that I rarely use them, if ever.

tl;dr I didn't have to, but I did anyway because I wanted to and used it for my signature ever since
Personally, I didn't have to learn cursive, but when I was in third grade I was FASCINATED by it. The second I caught a glance at a couple of notes my teacher at the time wrote on some sticky notes on their desk that were in cursive I was like, "ooh, what's that kinda writing? It looks pretty cool and I wanna learn to read it (maybe write it too)!" So, like the easily impressed kid that I was, I asked what it was in my "special needs downtime" free period class (I'm one of those people that thinks differently than most do; they replied Cursive btw) and if I could learn it. At first, they were like, "Nah, fam, that's 6th grade level stuff, you'll learn it in 6th grade (spoilers, we didn't)," but then I insisted on learning it and they ended up caving after some hesitation.

It took me a while to grasp the concept of the neat, squiggly letters, but once I did I was on a rOLL. I used it so much that my actual teacher asked me to stop writing in it because they could barely read cursive themselves. Since then, I only wrote my name in cursive and made sure to refresh my memory on what the other letters looked like every few years and now I can pretty much write effectively both in print and cursive, save for a few capitol letters that I either can't remember the look of or barely remember for the sheer fact that I rarely use them, if ever.

tl;dr I didn't have to, but I did anyway because I wanted to and used it for my signature ever since
WCJCpSS.pngqXSwF3U.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 15