Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Tales from Clan Lucerna
As I've been developing my dragons, I've felt the urge to write some stories about them - to put a long story short, this is my topic for that!

I'm not sure if this is of interest to anyone else, but I'd be more than happy to talk about lore, start a pinglist, or answer questions from the perspective of one of my dragons. So feel free to fire away if you're interested in knowing more about one of the dragons I mention here. c:

These will range wildly in content and tone. I'll put content warnings in a spoiler before every story, but feel free to ask me privately if you'd like a head's up for anything.

Posting here is okay!

Table of Contents:
1.) Even Stars are not Immortal
2.) Good Morning
As I've been developing my dragons, I've felt the urge to write some stories about them - to put a long story short, this is my topic for that!

I'm not sure if this is of interest to anyone else, but I'd be more than happy to talk about lore, start a pinglist, or answer questions from the perspective of one of my dragons. So feel free to fire away if you're interested in knowing more about one of the dragons I mention here. c:

These will range wildly in content and tone. I'll put content warnings in a spoiler before every story, but feel free to ask me privately if you'd like a head's up for anything.

Posting here is okay!

Table of Contents:
1.) Even Stars are not Immortal
2.) Good Morning
2db8adadca3ef8633cbd21fe5b445b5d349eabdb.png
Pinglist: @TheAwesoMew

Warnings for: Child in pain/distress, imprisonment, use of "it" as pronouns.

There was no sound in the Fortress of Ends.

The prisoners were silent as death, encased in blocks of ice. Their expressions were twisted into many things - horror, sorrow, acceptance. Through the haze of ice, the form in front of Polaris seemed formless. Shifting. Angry. It was but one of the nightmarish creatures from Sorneith's creation. Just one of the horrors that they must keep locked away.

He placed a single glowing claw upon the ice, dipping his head and closing his eyes. His runes pulsed, and he could almost make out the formless creature in his mind's eye. Sleep. He commanded, channeling his magic into the ice. Bit by bit, the struggling creature faded from his mind. The prisoner was dormant once more.

He lifted his head only once the last trace of the beast's energy had vanished from his mind. The Gaoler stared at it for a long moment, though his expression was shielded behind his mask. The prisoners did not suffer, he reminded himself. They merely slept. They slept in the cold embrace of ice for eternity, forever preserved, forever stagnant.

Forever locked away from the world. In that much, he supposed, perhaps the prisoners and the Gaolers were not so different. He stared for a moment longer into the beast's dead eyes, and saw no flicker of recognition. He wondered, for the first time, if the prisoners dreamed.

There was no sound in the Fortress of Ends. It was silent and stagnant. Such was the Icewarden's decree.

But then the silence stopped, and his ears perked at a familiar noise. He flicked his ear as if swatting away a fly, turning soundlessly towards the source of the intrusion. Sobbing, and two pairs of footsteps. He made no move to speak as two heavily armored Tundras approached him reverently, dipping their heads in a sign of respect.

He did not understand many things about Tundras. He did not understand where the Gaolers had failed, that his Creator saw fit to create his second children. They were... smaller. Weaker. Almost comically so, as if the Icewarden had looked upon the Gaolers and wiped away everything that made them fit to survive in his lands. It was like seeing a parody of yourself, de-clawed and toothless, and Polaris did not like it.

Still. He had some respect for them, as fellow children of the Icewarden. He waited patiently for them to explain themselves. One guard cast an uneasy glance towards the other, who simply looked upon the Gaoler stoically. The two's thoughts flickered across his mind as easily as reading a book.

What- what are these things...? What is that?
Can't be right. Just a child. Don't think about it.
Why is it looking at me like that?
Cold. It's so cold.

He cast them away just as easily as the first guard cleared her throat, stepping forward. "The First saw fit to introduce this one to the Fortress of Ends." She said neutrally, stepping aside and pushing a third party forward.

It was an Imperial, but smaller than any that Polaris had ever laid eyes upon. It was a young one, perhaps. It sniveled pitifully, shivering violently as it looked up at the Gaoler with dark, insectoid eyes. It looked more like a statue than a dragon, carved out of crystal and starlight. Yet it moved nevertheless, storming up to Polaris and spitting at his feet.

The Gaoler wasn't quite sure if he was offended, confused or amused.

The guard who had spoken earlier flinched, casting her gaze aside. Her voice wavered, just barely. "You know what to do." She said softly. She placed her wing over the other guard's shoulder, motioning for him to leave with her. He simply stared, wide-eyed, for a long moment, before taking her advice and turning away. They left the Fortress a tad quicker than they needed to, and that did not escape Polaris.

He tilted his head, and looked down at the little Imperial. This was... unusual. The silence was still gone - it shivered and sniffled, trying to be brave though tears glistened in it's eyes. "New additions are very seldom added." He mused quietly, turning away. "Walk with me." It was a command, but a gentle one. A Gaoler could not abandon his duty, but there was no cause to be cruel.

It - no, she. She stumbled along gracelessly, tucking her wings a bit closer to her body. She glared down at the floor, biting her lip. "Who are you, little one?" He asked gently, glancing at the Imperial from the corner of his eye. She didn't answer, only trailing behind him silently.

"What brought you to this place?" He asked quietly, a faint frown crossing his muzzle, though it was impossible to see behind his mask.

She sniveled and shook her head. "I dunno. I... really don't know." She admitted, shoving a bit more acid in her tone before her sorrow got the best of her. Anger and bitterness kept the sadness at bay. "Mom told me to go with this scary Tundra. Mom said that I was going to go help the Icewarden, but... but then they just locked me up, and then we walked for a long time until we got here. I don't think I did anything wrong..."

Polaris hummed quietly. The fact that she was here might that she was a dangerous to Sorneith, somehow. Perhaps this was just a charade. He read the thoughts on her mind quietly, making out how she intended to finish that sentence.

... unless I just wasn't good enough?
I don't know. I don't know.

This... did not seem like a threat to Sorneith. This seemed like a scared hatchling. That was something Polaris didn't know how to handle. He inhaled deeply, remembering it is not a Gaoler's job to judge who is guilty and innocent. By her arrival here, she had already proven she was guilty.

Still, it was unusual. To be guilty for a crime one couldn't recall. He shifted his position, shielding the hatchling from a cold gust of wind. She didn't seem to notice.

"I shouldn't be here." She spat again, her voice rising. "I didn't do anything wrong, but nobody listens to me. I really didn't! But none of you care! No one tells me anything, I-I don't even know why I'm here!"

"You were not sent here," He explained gently, "Because you did anything wrong. You were sent here because you are a threat to Sorneith. You do not intend to be, nor are you by your own free will. But Sorneith is in danger nevertheless, if you walk upon it."

She fell quiet, glaring daggers at the Gaoler. "I'm not a threat. You're not listening, either."

"I am." He intoned. "You do not know it, but that does not make it untrue. This is necessary to keep the world safe." He touched his nose to hers, and she met his gaze with teary, blank eyes. "You do not need to be afraid, little one. None of this is your fault. You will not suffer. You simply have to sleep."

And the hatchling wilted under his words, the last trace of bravado leaving her. She stopped walking. She breathed in shallow, rapid breathes, her tears freezing soon after they hit the floor. "I-I really didn't mean to put anyone in danger. I didn't know. But I don't- don't want to-"

die/sleep forever. Her thoughts spun wildly between the two, and Polaris suspected she was having a hard time finding the difference.

"I know." Polaris mused gently. He placed a claw on the doorway. Lines of silver magic filled the keyhole, and it creaked open as obediently as ever. They hadn't the need for this room, for... how many years now? A decade, at least. "None of this is your fault." He echoed, for that was the most reassuring thing he could think of saying. He wasn't sure if it was true. He was less sure if it mattered whether it was or not.

"Come in." He ushered, and the hatchling walked through slowly, hesitantly.

She looked up at him with those blank green eyes. "This... is really the only way?" She asked, quietly.

"You would not be here if there was another way. I'm sorry." He murmured, tucking his wing over the Imperial. "You will save so many lives. You will keep Sorneith safe." He echoed, though it did not feel true. "You are a wonderfully brave little dragon."

She exhaled deeply, sniffing one last time. "Okay. Let's do it, then." She stepped forward into a snowflake-shaped circle of runes, glancing back at the Gaoler one last time. "Is this gonna hurt?" She asked, her voice shaking just a touch.

"Only for a moment." He promised, digging his claws into the ice. It bent as obediently as ever, and he felt his magic channel through the ice, into the rune circle, into the hatchling. No thoughts ran through her mind. She just gritted her teeth as frost enveloped her, wheezing and trying to choke back cries of pain.

She was trying not to worry him, he realized after a long moment, and his resolve threatened to crumble at the realization. No- no, he couldn't. Giving up now would only mean repeating the ceremony later. This was kinder. He gritted his teeth and channeled all his magic into the circle, stirring blizzard winds and forcing the frost to crawl up her body.

And then, all at once, the wind died down. It was over. There was nothing in the room but the Gaoler and a block of ice. Polaris fell to his knees, heaving from exhaustion. It stung when tears pricked at his eyes, the biting cold piercing through even a Gaoler's fur. He stayed there, crumpled on the floor for minutes, trying to gather his bravery.

When he finally lifted his head, he saw the rippled reflection of a hatchling, her head dipped and her teeth gritted in pain. Even now, she tucked her wings against her body, as if trying to stay warm. Tears pricked at her hollow eyes, and Polaris crumbled with the realization that he never learned her name.

He sat there for hours, trying to ground himself again. He barely managed to regain his composure before his shift was over, silently trading positions with a fellow Gaoler and walking out towards the Icefields. He stared out at the mountains for a long, long moment, spreading his wings and looking out across the sky.

What do I do now? He asked himself quietly. Setting her free could very well put Sorneith in danger, but staying here... he didn't think he could bear it. Seeing her frozen, sleeping form every time he checked on the prisoners... he couldn't live with himself like that.

He thought for a long moment, but there was only one answer he could find. I don't know. His thoughts echoed. When he tried to think of what would be best, his mind fell as silent as the Fortress itself.

I just don't know.

Warnings for: Child in pain/distress, imprisonment, use of "it" as pronouns.

There was no sound in the Fortress of Ends.

The prisoners were silent as death, encased in blocks of ice. Their expressions were twisted into many things - horror, sorrow, acceptance. Through the haze of ice, the form in front of Polaris seemed formless. Shifting. Angry. It was but one of the nightmarish creatures from Sorneith's creation. Just one of the horrors that they must keep locked away.

He placed a single glowing claw upon the ice, dipping his head and closing his eyes. His runes pulsed, and he could almost make out the formless creature in his mind's eye. Sleep. He commanded, channeling his magic into the ice. Bit by bit, the struggling creature faded from his mind. The prisoner was dormant once more.

He lifted his head only once the last trace of the beast's energy had vanished from his mind. The Gaoler stared at it for a long moment, though his expression was shielded behind his mask. The prisoners did not suffer, he reminded himself. They merely slept. They slept in the cold embrace of ice for eternity, forever preserved, forever stagnant.

Forever locked away from the world. In that much, he supposed, perhaps the prisoners and the Gaolers were not so different. He stared for a moment longer into the beast's dead eyes, and saw no flicker of recognition. He wondered, for the first time, if the prisoners dreamed.

There was no sound in the Fortress of Ends. It was silent and stagnant. Such was the Icewarden's decree.

But then the silence stopped, and his ears perked at a familiar noise. He flicked his ear as if swatting away a fly, turning soundlessly towards the source of the intrusion. Sobbing, and two pairs of footsteps. He made no move to speak as two heavily armored Tundras approached him reverently, dipping their heads in a sign of respect.

He did not understand many things about Tundras. He did not understand where the Gaolers had failed, that his Creator saw fit to create his second children. They were... smaller. Weaker. Almost comically so, as if the Icewarden had looked upon the Gaolers and wiped away everything that made them fit to survive in his lands. It was like seeing a parody of yourself, de-clawed and toothless, and Polaris did not like it.

Still. He had some respect for them, as fellow children of the Icewarden. He waited patiently for them to explain themselves. One guard cast an uneasy glance towards the other, who simply looked upon the Gaoler stoically. The two's thoughts flickered across his mind as easily as reading a book.

What- what are these things...? What is that?
Can't be right. Just a child. Don't think about it.
Why is it looking at me like that?
Cold. It's so cold.

He cast them away just as easily as the first guard cleared her throat, stepping forward. "The First saw fit to introduce this one to the Fortress of Ends." She said neutrally, stepping aside and pushing a third party forward.

It was an Imperial, but smaller than any that Polaris had ever laid eyes upon. It was a young one, perhaps. It sniveled pitifully, shivering violently as it looked up at the Gaoler with dark, insectoid eyes. It looked more like a statue than a dragon, carved out of crystal and starlight. Yet it moved nevertheless, storming up to Polaris and spitting at his feet.

The Gaoler wasn't quite sure if he was offended, confused or amused.

The guard who had spoken earlier flinched, casting her gaze aside. Her voice wavered, just barely. "You know what to do." She said softly. She placed her wing over the other guard's shoulder, motioning for him to leave with her. He simply stared, wide-eyed, for a long moment, before taking her advice and turning away. They left the Fortress a tad quicker than they needed to, and that did not escape Polaris.

He tilted his head, and looked down at the little Imperial. This was... unusual. The silence was still gone - it shivered and sniffled, trying to be brave though tears glistened in it's eyes. "New additions are very seldom added." He mused quietly, turning away. "Walk with me." It was a command, but a gentle one. A Gaoler could not abandon his duty, but there was no cause to be cruel.

It - no, she. She stumbled along gracelessly, tucking her wings a bit closer to her body. She glared down at the floor, biting her lip. "Who are you, little one?" He asked gently, glancing at the Imperial from the corner of his eye. She didn't answer, only trailing behind him silently.

"What brought you to this place?" He asked quietly, a faint frown crossing his muzzle, though it was impossible to see behind his mask.

She sniveled and shook her head. "I dunno. I... really don't know." She admitted, shoving a bit more acid in her tone before her sorrow got the best of her. Anger and bitterness kept the sadness at bay. "Mom told me to go with this scary Tundra. Mom said that I was going to go help the Icewarden, but... but then they just locked me up, and then we walked for a long time until we got here. I don't think I did anything wrong..."

Polaris hummed quietly. The fact that she was here might that she was a dangerous to Sorneith, somehow. Perhaps this was just a charade. He read the thoughts on her mind quietly, making out how she intended to finish that sentence.

... unless I just wasn't good enough?
I don't know. I don't know.

This... did not seem like a threat to Sorneith. This seemed like a scared hatchling. That was something Polaris didn't know how to handle. He inhaled deeply, remembering it is not a Gaoler's job to judge who is guilty and innocent. By her arrival here, she had already proven she was guilty.

Still, it was unusual. To be guilty for a crime one couldn't recall. He shifted his position, shielding the hatchling from a cold gust of wind. She didn't seem to notice.

"I shouldn't be here." She spat again, her voice rising. "I didn't do anything wrong, but nobody listens to me. I really didn't! But none of you care! No one tells me anything, I-I don't even know why I'm here!"

"You were not sent here," He explained gently, "Because you did anything wrong. You were sent here because you are a threat to Sorneith. You do not intend to be, nor are you by your own free will. But Sorneith is in danger nevertheless, if you walk upon it."

She fell quiet, glaring daggers at the Gaoler. "I'm not a threat. You're not listening, either."

"I am." He intoned. "You do not know it, but that does not make it untrue. This is necessary to keep the world safe." He touched his nose to hers, and she met his gaze with teary, blank eyes. "You do not need to be afraid, little one. None of this is your fault. You will not suffer. You simply have to sleep."

And the hatchling wilted under his words, the last trace of bravado leaving her. She stopped walking. She breathed in shallow, rapid breathes, her tears freezing soon after they hit the floor. "I-I really didn't mean to put anyone in danger. I didn't know. But I don't- don't want to-"

die/sleep forever. Her thoughts spun wildly between the two, and Polaris suspected she was having a hard time finding the difference.

"I know." Polaris mused gently. He placed a claw on the doorway. Lines of silver magic filled the keyhole, and it creaked open as obediently as ever. They hadn't the need for this room, for... how many years now? A decade, at least. "None of this is your fault." He echoed, for that was the most reassuring thing he could think of saying. He wasn't sure if it was true. He was less sure if it mattered whether it was or not.

"Come in." He ushered, and the hatchling walked through slowly, hesitantly.

She looked up at him with those blank green eyes. "This... is really the only way?" She asked, quietly.

"You would not be here if there was another way. I'm sorry." He murmured, tucking his wing over the Imperial. "You will save so many lives. You will keep Sorneith safe." He echoed, though it did not feel true. "You are a wonderfully brave little dragon."

She exhaled deeply, sniffing one last time. "Okay. Let's do it, then." She stepped forward into a snowflake-shaped circle of runes, glancing back at the Gaoler one last time. "Is this gonna hurt?" She asked, her voice shaking just a touch.

"Only for a moment." He promised, digging his claws into the ice. It bent as obediently as ever, and he felt his magic channel through the ice, into the rune circle, into the hatchling. No thoughts ran through her mind. She just gritted her teeth as frost enveloped her, wheezing and trying to choke back cries of pain.

She was trying not to worry him, he realized after a long moment, and his resolve threatened to crumble at the realization. No- no, he couldn't. Giving up now would only mean repeating the ceremony later. This was kinder. He gritted his teeth and channeled all his magic into the circle, stirring blizzard winds and forcing the frost to crawl up her body.

And then, all at once, the wind died down. It was over. There was nothing in the room but the Gaoler and a block of ice. Polaris fell to his knees, heaving from exhaustion. It stung when tears pricked at his eyes, the biting cold piercing through even a Gaoler's fur. He stayed there, crumpled on the floor for minutes, trying to gather his bravery.

When he finally lifted his head, he saw the rippled reflection of a hatchling, her head dipped and her teeth gritted in pain. Even now, she tucked her wings against her body, as if trying to stay warm. Tears pricked at her hollow eyes, and Polaris crumbled with the realization that he never learned her name.

He sat there for hours, trying to ground himself again. He barely managed to regain his composure before his shift was over, silently trading positions with a fellow Gaoler and walking out towards the Icefields. He stared out at the mountains for a long, long moment, spreading his wings and looking out across the sky.

What do I do now? He asked himself quietly. Setting her free could very well put Sorneith in danger, but staying here... he didn't think he could bear it. Seeing her frozen, sleeping form every time he checked on the prisoners... he couldn't live with himself like that.

He thought for a long moment, but there was only one answer he could find. I don't know. His thoughts echoed. When he tried to think of what would be best, his mind fell as silent as the Fortress itself.

I just don't know.
Holy heck Ven who gave you the permission to give me the feels??? That was so, so good and filled with emotion! I can't tell you how many Gaoler stories I've read since I really started browsing lore, but yours is the only one which seemed to capture the essence of Ice in the right way--dutiful and withdrawn, but in a way not wholly devoid of justice or feelings. I got literal chills (no pun intended) reading this! I'm very eager to get to learn more of Polaris' story :D
Holy heck Ven who gave you the permission to give me the feels??? That was so, so good and filled with emotion! I can't tell you how many Gaoler stories I've read since I really started browsing lore, but yours is the only one which seemed to capture the essence of Ice in the right way--dutiful and withdrawn, but in a way not wholly devoid of justice or feelings. I got literal chills (no pun intended) reading this! I'm very eager to get to learn more of Polaris' story :D
LhnYpua.png s3-s16-m36-l11-l19-l20-l11-book.pngs3-s16-m36-l11-l19-l20-m36-book.pngs3-s16-m36-l11-l19-l20-s16-book.pngB7_R.png
3KkxJSr.png
LhnYpua.png
eeGpIiY.png
.. « Mew »
|| 2+ FR Time | She/Her | The Calm Before the Storm | fr__lightning_by_baelfin-d8uyn76.png fr__beastclans_by_baelfin-d92uyiw.png ||

• { Lockedown } - Chill Biolocke + Necrolocke
• { Thunder Hollow } - Clan Lore [WIP]

{ Assets: x x x }
eeGpIiY.png
LhnYpua.png 89TBw7Q.gif
@TheAwesoMew

aaah I'm so glad you liked it. c: Knowing my writing gave someone emotions is a really high compliment to me, so thank you so much for telling me!! I wanted to get this one out for the Gala, but it gave me a lot of trouble, especially on how I wanted to end it. Aha, it makes me really happy that someone else liked it. I'm still not quite satisfied, but I suppose that gives me motivation to keep writing about Polaris~

Thanks for reading, Mew!
@TheAwesoMew

aaah I'm so glad you liked it. c: Knowing my writing gave someone emotions is a really high compliment to me, so thank you so much for telling me!! I wanted to get this one out for the Gala, but it gave me a lot of trouble, especially on how I wanted to end it. Aha, it makes me really happy that someone else liked it. I'm still not quite satisfied, but I suppose that gives me motivation to keep writing about Polaris~

Thanks for reading, Mew!
Pinglist: @TheAwesoMew [center][b]Good Morning[/b] (Because I'm emotional today. My dragons are good kids and I wanted to write about them healing a little bit, it's good for the soul.)[/center] Warnings for: [spoiler]Recovery from trauma. Said trauma isn't gone into in detail. Very brief mention of blood and fire.[/spoiler] [url=http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/507069/50706808_350.png?mtime=XNHVuQAC1q0]Sol[/url] looks different in the sunlight. The soft gradient of oranges and yellows grow warmer, more fiery, in the early morning light. It’s funny, seeing her like this - [i]really[/i] seeing someone for the first time in a while. When you fall in love, the little things that once amazed you can become background noise. Their laugh, their voice, the warmth of them sleeping beside you. [url=http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/498152/49815181_350.png?mtime=XNHSqgACa0o]Liana[/url] is no exception. She forgets, at times. And then she wakes up next to her wife in the morning, and it rushes over her again all at once. How lucky she is. How lucky they were to have met, even under the circumstances that they did. How wonderful it is to be alive. It was Thaumaturgy, Smolder called it: ‘wonder working’. The science of miracles, of what happened when emotion and magic and science met just right. She’s crying, when Sol wakes up. How couldn’t she be? The Pearlcatcher is panicked, just for a moment, before she has the chance to explain that no, nothing’s wrong. Quite the opposite, actually. “I was just thinking,” Liana explains, hearing rather than feeling her voice crack, “How lucky we are to be here.” Sol pokes fun at her for that, gently, knowing where the boundaries lay and where not to push them. “You’re a sweetheart, Liana. A silly one, but regardless.” They lay there for minutes before Sol speaks again, finally finding the courage to say what was on her mind. “There was no luck involved.” She admits, then, nuzzling her face into Liana’s chest. “You did this. It’s all thanks to you.” And that only makes her cry harder. [center]__________[emoji=glimmer tile size=1]__________[/center] [center][i]Good morning, [url=http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/429476/42947518_350.png?mtime=XH7z1wADplU]IRIS[/url].[/i][/center] It was only at [url=http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/424785/42478437_350.png?mtime=XKWNqgACAz4]Hollowmaw's[/url] suggestion that she changed her startup line. What was a startup line, to an AI? It was the first thing she woke up to every morning. The first greeting every time she opened her eyes, so to speak. What the startup line [i]was[/i] made no difference to her, not really. Or, at least, it shouldn't have. But something about those words stirred something deep in her chest, and the ghost of a smile creased her face. Perhaps, the AI mused, her startup line could stay like this for a while. She gilded effortlessly along the wires and codes, triple checking that everything was in order. [i]Quarantine systems: Online, 72 out of 72 subgroups active. Defensive measures: Online, 52 out of 184 subgroups active. Emergency defensive measures: Online, 0 out of 34 subgroups active. Climate control: Online, 253 out of 265 subgroups active. No errors detected.[/i] Ha, that was a rarity. No glitches, nothing due for new parts. Perfect. If there was a flaw in their defenses, whether against disease or attack, she would be the first one to know. Her presence gave everyone peace of mind, even in the ruthless lands of the Plaguebringer. That was why she was "alive", so to speak. She did not need anything else. She did not [i]want[/i] anything else. And yet, that startup line. For some reason she could not quite place, she preferred it to the old one. Funny, that. She mused on it for half a moment before discarding her original line, and the train of thought that came with it, deleting it without a word. [center][s]DEFENSE SYSTEM IRIS ONLINE.[/s][/center] [center]__________[emoji=glimmer tile size=1]__________[/center] [url=http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/503096/50309545_350.png?mtime=XJ70tAADUj8]Knight[/url] heaves herself to her feet, as she does every morning. Some mornings are better than others. Sometimes, her walk feels more practiced, more mechanical, more akin to the soldier she was born as. Those days, she looks at Hollowmaw and feels anger well up in her chest. Hollowmaw is the leader, and that makes her the king. But why? What is a king who does not order one to fight for her, to die for her, to stand upon the battlefield in neat little rows? Who decided that she is to be leader? Something dark and guttural in her twists, and guilt for those dark thoughts makes it so that Knight cannot even look that dark mirror in the face. Because, if things can be different, then what did she fight for? What did she kill for? What did her sisters in arms die for? [i]Nothing,[/i] and while she might snap at her clanmates, it only calms the writhing, lashing dark in her chest for a moment. So she follows orders blindly, does her duties as she is told, because the darkest part of her mind whispers that that's all she'll ever know how to do. But this is not one of those mornings. She wakes up to birdsong, and the glistening amber of a Fae's nest over her head. The Guardian shifts - gently, as not to damage anything - and stands outside her den for a moment, lingering in the half-light. She watches the dragons talk loudly and embrace each other openly, not steal glances in the dark when no one else is looking. She watches them from afar, and strangely, she does not feel so different from them. She walks up to Hollowmaw, and says a polite hello without dipping her head. Hollowmaw notices, and she does not mind. If anything, she seems to cherish Knight's lack of reverence towards her, today. "You seem to be in a good mood." She remarks, even though Hollowmaw was never one for words. Knight's answer, though sincere, surprises her. Are the words that unfamiliar to her own ears? "Yes," She rumbles, "I suppose I am." [center]__________[emoji=glimmer tile size=1]__________[/center] There will be bad days, more than anyone could deserve. Sol will crumble under the weight of what she's done. Liana will not be able to look upon her wife without remembering the games, the fire, the blood, and she will hate herself for it. Iris will fall back into old habits, harsh and cold, and forfeit the warmth that she craves. Knight will treat her superiors with a hollow reverence, and spill out at everyone else like an overflowing sink. And then. Sol and Liana will talk. Iris will drift back towards the things she finds comforting, implacably warm. Knight will wake up to birdsong and glistening amber, and not feel like such a stranger in her own body. And they will remember why this was worth fighting for, once. There will always be bad days. But this morning is a good one.
Good Morning
(Because I'm emotional today. My dragons are good kids and I wanted to write about them healing a little bit, it's good for the soul.)
Warnings for: Recovery from trauma. Said trauma isn't gone into in detail. Very brief mention of blood and fire.

Sol looks different in the sunlight. The soft gradient of oranges and yellows grow warmer, more fiery, in the early morning light. It’s funny, seeing her like this - really seeing someone for the first time in a while. When you fall in love, the little things that once amazed you can become background noise. Their laugh, their voice, the warmth of them sleeping beside you. Liana is no exception. She forgets, at times.

And then she wakes up next to her wife in the morning, and it rushes over her again all at once. How lucky she is. How lucky they were to have met, even under the circumstances that they did. How wonderful it is to be alive. It was Thaumaturgy, Smolder called it: ‘wonder working’. The science of miracles, of what happened when emotion and magic and science met just right.

She’s crying, when Sol wakes up. How couldn’t she be? The Pearlcatcher is panicked, just for a moment, before she has the chance to explain that no, nothing’s wrong. Quite the opposite, actually. “I was just thinking,” Liana explains, hearing rather than feeling her voice crack, “How lucky we are to be here.” Sol pokes fun at her for that, gently, knowing where the boundaries lay and where not to push them.

“You’re a sweetheart, Liana. A silly one, but regardless.”

They lay there for minutes before Sol speaks again, finally finding the courage to say what was on her mind. “There was no luck involved.” She admits, then, nuzzling her face into Liana’s chest. “You did this. It’s all thanks to you.”

And that only makes her cry harder.

It was only at Hollowmaw's suggestion that she changed her startup line. What was a startup line, to an AI? It was the first thing she woke up to every morning. The first greeting every time she opened her eyes, so to speak.

What the startup line was made no difference to her, not really. Or, at least, it shouldn't have. But something about those words stirred something deep in her chest, and the ghost of a smile creased her face. Perhaps, the AI mused, her startup line could stay like this for a while.

She gilded effortlessly along the wires and codes, triple checking that everything was in order.

Quarantine systems: Online, 72 out of 72 subgroups active.
Defensive measures: Online, 52 out of 184 subgroups active.
Emergency defensive measures: Online, 0 out of 34 subgroups active.
Climate control: Online, 253 out of 265 subgroups active.

No errors detected.

Ha, that was a rarity. No glitches, nothing due for new parts. Perfect. If there was a flaw in their defenses, whether against disease or attack, she would be the first one to know. Her presence gave everyone peace of mind, even in the ruthless lands of the Plaguebringer. That was why she was "alive", so to speak. She did not need anything else. She did not want anything else.

And yet, that startup line. For some reason she could not quite place, she preferred it to the old one. Funny, that. She mused on it for half a moment before discarding her original line, and the train of thought that came with it, deleting it without a word.
DEFENSE SYSTEM IRIS ONLINE.

Knight heaves herself to her feet, as she does every morning. Some mornings are better than others. Sometimes, her walk feels more practiced, more mechanical, more akin to the soldier she was born as. Those days, she looks at Hollowmaw and feels anger well up in her chest.

Hollowmaw is the leader, and that makes her the king. But why? What is a king who does not order one to fight for her, to die for her, to stand upon the battlefield in neat little rows? Who decided that she is to be leader? Something dark and guttural in her twists, and guilt for those dark thoughts makes it so that Knight cannot even look that dark mirror in the face.

Because, if things can be different, then what did she fight for? What did she kill for? What did her sisters in arms die for? Nothing, and while she might snap at her clanmates, it only calms the writhing, lashing dark in her chest for a moment. So she follows orders blindly, does her duties as she is told, because the darkest part of her mind whispers that that's all she'll ever know how to do.

But this is not one of those mornings.

She wakes up to birdsong, and the glistening amber of a Fae's nest over her head. The Guardian shifts - gently, as not to damage anything - and stands outside her den for a moment, lingering in the half-light. She watches the dragons talk loudly and embrace each other openly, not steal glances in the dark when no one else is looking.

She watches them from afar, and strangely, she does not feel so different from them. She walks up to Hollowmaw, and says a polite hello without dipping her head. Hollowmaw notices, and she does not mind. If anything, she seems to cherish Knight's lack of reverence towards her, today. "You seem to be in a good mood." She remarks, even though Hollowmaw was never one for words.

Knight's answer, though sincere, surprises her. Are the words that unfamiliar to her own ears? "Yes," She rumbles, "I suppose I am."

There will be bad days, more than anyone could deserve. Sol will crumble under the weight of what she's done. Liana will not be able to look upon her wife without remembering the games, the fire, the blood, and she will hate herself for it. Iris will fall back into old habits, harsh and cold, and forfeit the warmth that she craves. Knight will treat her superiors with a hollow reverence, and spill out at everyone else like an overflowing sink.

And then.

Sol and Liana will talk. Iris will drift back towards the things she finds comforting, implacably warm. Knight will wake up to birdsong and glistening amber, and not feel like such a stranger in her own body. And they will remember why this was worth fighting for, once.

There will always be bad days. But this morning is a good one.
I've written a lot of bios lately, which I'm proud of! Since this is my clan lore thread, it seems like the right place to post 'em. [emoji=spiral winking size=1] Merit's (the Imperial) is my favorite of the bunch, I'm genuinely proud of that one~ [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=42433861][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/424339/42433861.png[/img][/url][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=50041252][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/500413/50041252.png[/img][/url][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=50706808][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/507069/50706808.png[/img][/url][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=50841587][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/508416/50841587.png[/img][/url][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=50636579][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/506366/50636579.png[/img][/url][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40265380][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/402654/40265380.png[/img][/url][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=50257098][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/502571/50257098.png[/img][/url][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49815181][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/498152/49815181.png[/img][/url]
I've written a lot of bios lately, which I'm proud of! Since this is my clan lore thread, it seems like the right place to post 'em.

Merit's (the Imperial) is my favorite of the bunch, I'm genuinely proud of that one~
42433861.png50041252.png50706808.png50841587.png50636579.png40265380.png50257098.png49815181.png