Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | In Shadow of the Gods-Nuzlocke-COMPLETE
1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 62 63
@Chalkolate

Absolutely, thanks so much! That means a lot!

I'm happy to help, but I advise you read the original FR Nuzlocke post first!

After you've read through that, feel free to ask me any questions you still have. c:
@Chalkolate

Absolutely, thanks so much! That means a lot!

I'm happy to help, but I advise you read the original FR Nuzlocke post first!

After you've read through that, feel free to ask me any questions you still have. c:
Kai - Al (There's only 1 L!)
[Call me Kai!] [30s,They/Them]
PLEASE do not ask about
my avatar on an
unrelated thread topic!
f18d31cc350d038f8fdc1052107773b5e5669843.png
- Accent Shop!
- Hatchathon: Egg a Day 2024!
- In Shadow of the Gods: A Nuzlocke (Complete!)
- G1s with Art!
- Wishlist/Icon Dragon
I love this! But does Edan not count sd scrolls as expensive? I figured at the start he wanted to turn the two into Mirrors which would be 100k but doable, 350k on the other hand for one dragon. I wouldn't think he had that much on hand.
I love this! But does Edan not count sd scrolls as expensive? I figured at the start he wanted to turn the two into Mirrors which would be 100k but doable, 350k on the other hand for one dragon. I wouldn't think he had that much on hand.
zBb62uZ.pngkiukE70.png1.png
@IronPen

Edan absolutely does count SD scrolls as expensive, but we're not exactly going by Marketplace prices here.

Lorewise, I believe that more dragons would be capable of constructing breed change scrolls than the ones who supply the MP, and those would be the dragons Zuehal is trading with.

So basically, Edan is getting ready to buy some good ol' No Name Brand scrolls, lmao
@IronPen

Edan absolutely does count SD scrolls as expensive, but we're not exactly going by Marketplace prices here.

Lorewise, I believe that more dragons would be capable of constructing breed change scrolls than the ones who supply the MP, and those would be the dragons Zuehal is trading with.

So basically, Edan is getting ready to buy some good ol' No Name Brand scrolls, lmao
PLEASE do not ask about
my avatar on an
unrelated thread topic!
- Accent Shop!
- G1s with Art!
- Wishlist/Icon Dragon
@kaial I went and read the nuzlocke rules, and i think i've understodd most of it, except how you have pearlcatchers and skydancers (Solveig, in the beginning, so it wouldn't make sense to have gotten a breed change scroll so early) and Sunrae? as well as having someone like veldr?

and also, can the lore be anything? Death would still be death, of course, but does everyone have to be together in a clan, or would i have creative freedom with however the lore would work?
@kaial I went and read the nuzlocke rules, and i think i've understodd most of it, except how you have pearlcatchers and skydancers (Solveig, in the beginning, so it wouldn't make sense to have gotten a breed change scroll so early) and Sunrae? as well as having someone like veldr?

and also, can the lore be anything? Death would still be death, of course, but does everyone have to be together in a clan, or would i have creative freedom with however the lore would work?
wB6a41TxH_8Vzrqk8bWYsyEimHORcK7Z0Z3gbImaxzXXimBTPCns1lb0EC9jLhscb-JO8YUDOeWuNiDlHPEyObzf8B1jZ3R_i9XKOQnREnWbAuwNVgRC9fveZKpa30_oOKRpSLOd5D7cJ5Or7nXBOlYzU3ZZPHqUzNkj_UFjCiHfeeQ_HOX7Fkc6EFhBZGN5XjUsudKlaThKxwJuvNHqtDnvZc9udJygA3xxXFrnUD8iYe_nxDlGLWU78G6_ryRHdOw3hpxvv_Ffda0FrVDtjB9iUykZBW5iZeE_Zi22AXsewVsWMRpx_YUe3FJr-MW1P--aWU72-fG8DlD9tKoy7fs-JhogtmQ93U8mCu7BRLQ50690DufZHCZaeJjwHwbzvWNmsWe56jSmHPr1UO02ZOYDOG1RMRVqh-U1J9vLeQyx6GnKCD0D09Nctqm8XWOT5fk1lc60VV7XfOObl4Ro5c4YVDltP_ooIFLe-I_y3urD1REQdCNsoUNAuxoRQB9u_mlzhM5FcoRxUeNhVWSTNgsiFRiC8_T2S8hyHSapEoRpiyBwkIKLXyGdW74M2ALOmWZaZYR86Ktuy1rAhSKr_shwMfGgKbtCjmUDRJ2K6cF8ZU_QTGkDfvo1NdI0cIjxFD64QYxLxTQSZi5EwMqYuAO_9b1cnpM8cj9CVWjAZstG1KfOMT7ISo8oA5Q9mtjhN6JssXl2Hg7Di3hhJzAljYoCTbIzn_4vgMNEH_gwH3UrIr9zMEBpB2A=w100-h100-no?.png
@Chalkolate

The only rules to do with breed changes are you can buy one breed change for every egg you find! Thus, I breed changed Saerun and the Pearlcatchers before introducing them to the locke, because I'd found enough eggs to buy their scrolls and establish them that way. c:

And it's your story so do what you want, honestly!
@Chalkolate

The only rules to do with breed changes are you can buy one breed change for every egg you find! Thus, I breed changed Saerun and the Pearlcatchers before introducing them to the locke, because I'd found enough eggs to buy their scrolls and establish them that way. c:

And it's your story so do what you want, honestly!
PLEASE do not ask about
my avatar on an
unrelated thread topic!
- Accent Shop!
- G1s with Art!
- Wishlist/Icon Dragon
@kaial thank you :D
@kaial thank you :D
wB6a41TxH_8Vzrqk8bWYsyEimHORcK7Z0Z3gbImaxzXXimBTPCns1lb0EC9jLhscb-JO8YUDOeWuNiDlHPEyObzf8B1jZ3R_i9XKOQnREnWbAuwNVgRC9fveZKpa30_oOKRpSLOd5D7cJ5Or7nXBOlYzU3ZZPHqUzNkj_UFjCiHfeeQ_HOX7Fkc6EFhBZGN5XjUsudKlaThKxwJuvNHqtDnvZc9udJygA3xxXFrnUD8iYe_nxDlGLWU78G6_ryRHdOw3hpxvv_Ffda0FrVDtjB9iUykZBW5iZeE_Zi22AXsewVsWMRpx_YUe3FJr-MW1P--aWU72-fG8DlD9tKoy7fs-JhogtmQ93U8mCu7BRLQ50690DufZHCZaeJjwHwbzvWNmsWe56jSmHPr1UO02ZOYDOG1RMRVqh-U1J9vLeQyx6GnKCD0D09Nctqm8XWOT5fk1lc60VV7XfOObl4Ro5c4YVDltP_ooIFLe-I_y3urD1REQdCNsoUNAuxoRQB9u_mlzhM5FcoRxUeNhVWSTNgsiFRiC8_T2S8hyHSapEoRpiyBwkIKLXyGdW74M2ALOmWZaZYR86Ktuy1rAhSKr_shwMfGgKbtCjmUDRJ2K6cF8ZU_QTGkDfvo1NdI0cIjxFD64QYxLxTQSZi5EwMqYuAO_9b1cnpM8cj9CVWjAZstG1KfOMT7ISo8oA5Q9mtjhN6JssXl2Hg7Di3hhJzAljYoCTbIzn_4vgMNEH_gwH3UrIr9zMEBpB2A=w100-h100-no?.png
@Chalkolate

No problem at all! c:
@Chalkolate

No problem at all! c:
PLEASE do not ask about
my avatar on an
unrelated thread topic!
- Accent Shop!
- G1s with Art!
- Wishlist/Icon Dragon
[b]A Deal[/b] [sub]Note: this kind of ends on what looks like a cliffhanger or something? It's not meant to be. It's just this damn chapter is LONG ENOUGH ALREADY LOL[/sub] Dawn had just risen, and already the house was bustling with activity. Saerun and Ciron were still dozing. Saerun had only briefly gotten up to take Clara and get her settled, as they’d be looking after her alongside their home today. Everyone else was up and ready to leave, though some were more awake than others. Solveig and Ila were a bit quiet, and Marshall seemed especially bleary. Espen and Hazel were practically bouncing off the walls. “Alright,” Edan began, looking over the group. “Do you have everything you want to trade packed?” Various ‘yes’es and grunts of confirmation greeted him. “And you have provisions for the day?” More ‘yes’es. “Alright, good. Let’s get going. Just follow me. Don’t stray off.” ------------- Their flight was uneventful. The weather had been pleasant, and nobody had difficulty keeping up. Edan had frequently looked over his shoulder to check for stragglers, but instead found that everyone had been dutifully following his movements. Without needing to keep everyone in line, he instead found himself marveling by how much his group had grown in such a short time. It wouldn’t even be out of place to have a clan name at this point. Gods, he needed to build. …And to focus on navigating properly. He had the group land and convene to eat lunch, and looked over the list they’d cobbled together the night before. “So… I’m not sure how much of this we’re gonna manage,” he admitted, frowning as he looked over the considerably long scroll. “…So I’m looking forward to seeing how all of you handle haggling. Zuehal is known to cut a deal, if you can convince him.” “How are we supposed to do that?” Hazel asked. “Well hell, you’re proud of your sculptures, aren’t you?” Edan asked. “Tell him why! Tell him how you made them, and how long it took! There’s value in that.” “You ramble about them to us for hours,” Marshall snorted. “So do that to him. Maybe he’ll pay you extra to like, shut up eventually.” “Oh, bite me,” Hazel snapped, turning to snarl at him. “[i]She [/i]has something to contribute,” Edan asked, giving the swamp-coloured nocturne a particularly cold glare as he spoke. “Do you?” “Hm? Yeah,” Marshall took a moment to chew on his jerky, evidently unaffected by the anger directed at him. “Been collecting geodes. Bones. Stuff like that.” “I’m not sure he’s going to be interested in [i]bones[/i], Marshall,” Edan shook his head. “Fine, then I have geodes.” “I’ve got some scarves, and clothes I made that don’t fit anymore,” Ila said nervously. “I thought about keeping them for someone else, but it might be better to just sell them, right? If he’ll take them?” “He sells clothes so, yeah, he should,” Edan replied. “Anyone else?” “I mean, I picked the best of my junk, but I mostly just have… junk,” Rorin admitted, looking vaguely embarrassed. “Same,” Espen added with a snicker. “Alright well… you go last, so you don’t just tick him off.” ----------- It was mid-afternoon by the time the outpost was in sight. Edan had halted the group for a moment, circling and watching for any other patrons down below. Zuehal was indeed there, the vivid blue wildclaw sitting crosslegged in a tent stall. He was flanked by two large ridgebacks who were armed to the teeth, but lying around in a casual manner. Edan noted another heat signature coming from within the tent, but couldn’t discern what it was. “Oh, yea! His note said he’d have bodyguards or something,” Hazel said, peering curiously down beside him. “Makes sense,” Edan replied, watching as a small group of longnecks trotted off from the tent, large baskets and bags balanced on their shoulders. “Alright, looks like the last of his customers are dealt with… no other dragons. Let’s go.” Edan tilted his wings and soared downward, seeing the wildclaw below take notice of his group and look up, cupping his hand over his eyes. “Edan!” Zuehal shouted. “It’s been years since I’ve seen you!” Edan landed, and nodded in greeting. Ila landed next and waved politely, with Solveig following suit. Then Hazel touched down and immediately rushed over to him, which resulted in the two ridgebacks suddenly sitting up straight to watch her intently. “Easy there!” Edan shouted, frowning as he trotted up to her side. He looked toward Zuehal. “So… got a few more people around since we last spoke. We’ll be looking to stock up.” “And [i]I [/i]would like to be a skydancer, please,” Hazel said, gesturing toward herself. “I’m Hazel, and I make some pretty cool things I think you might like.” “Uh, yeah, looking to buy a skydancer scroll, rice, flour, nails, uh,” Edan pulled out the list and handed it to the wildclaw. “Whatever you can fill from this after you see what we’ve got to offer. I’ve got gold too, just hoping to do a partial trade.” “Ah,” Zuehal blinked, looking between Edan and the list. His moment of bemusement quickly passed, and a toothy grin quickly replaced it. He spread his arms out and gestured toward an empty table beside him. continued in a slight sing-song. “I see. By all means, show me what you’ve got! I’m sure we can work out a [i]deal[/i]. Just lay your works out here, miss Hazel.” Hazel hurried over and began going through her bags, carefully placing her sculptures and jewellery out one by one. As she worked, Zuehal sidled over to Edan. “So, tell me,” he began quietly. “How did so many dragons find their way into your company? Did you join a clan?” “No, actually,” Edan replied, shaking his head. “They all found their way to me, if you can believe that.” “[i]Really[/i]?” the wildclaw laughed. “Hah! How many do you have now?” “Eight,” Edan replied after a moment’s pause. He’d briefly thought of mentioning Clara, but then he’d have to explain leaving a baby at home “alone”. “All pretty excited for this, as you can tell.” “Hm, yes,” the wildclaw replied, stroking his chin as he pondered. “It looks like you might benefit from a few more visits from me per year at this rate.” “Don’t know if I can afford that, Zuehal,” Edan replied flatly, raising a brow at the wildclaw. Zuehal didn’t seem to notice, instead focused on Hazel’s display. He headed over and stood by the table. “Very interesting, my girl! You made these all yourself?” “Absolutely!” Hazel replied proudly, her hands on her hips. “I found all the parts myself, too!” She picked up a necklace from the table and held it out toward him. “Do you see all those little chain links? I put them together myself, piece by piece! That’s why there’s two different shapes alternating! And they’re strong too!” She took a moment to pull harshly on the chain - which, to her word, did not break or show any signs of strain. “Very nice!” Zuehal remarked, seeming genuinely impressed. “And, I see why you’re wishing to become a skydancer. Better for the detail work, isn’t it?” “Yes, exactly!” Hazel nodded. Edan breathed a sigh of relief at her reply. “And I promise you that all my work is just as well-made as this one! Please, have a look!” Zuehal bent forward, adjusting his glasses as he looked over each of the approximately dozen trinkets that Hazel had brought him and testing their strength. After a few minutes of inspection, he stood up straight and nodded. “Yes, I’m confident I can find buyers for these. I’ll take them all… but to be clear, it will cover about a third of the scroll’s cost. Does that sound acceptable to you?” Hazel nodded and pranced off, shooting Marshall an absolutely demonic grin once she’d turned her back to Zuehal. Ila was next to step up. She carefully moved Hazel’s work to a corner of the table before beginning to set out the clothing she’d brought. “Hello, Zuehal, it’s nice to meet you!” she greeted brightly, though Edan could hear some nervousness in her voice. “It’s to my understanding you trade in clothing, as well? I’m - I’m a seamstress, and I wanted to see if you’d be interested what I make? I’m interested in trading for fabric as well.” “How interesting!” Zuehal exclaimed, picking up a scarf and holding it out in the light. “I’ve not seen a mosaic pattern like this before… are all the pieces sewn individually?” “Yes,” Ila replied, nodding. She took a moment to ponder her words. “Each cut, selected, and set by hand.” “That must take days,” the wildclaw said, inspecting the stitches carefully. “Oh, it does,” Ila laughed. “But honestly, I tend to work on them when I’m trying to fall asleep. I find it… calming.” “They’re quite beautiful. I’ll be happy to take them all,” he grinned. “Unique handmade pieces like this tend to go for a high price, and I’m fairly certain the… exoticism of your remote location will bump up the price as well. Hmm… promise you bring more of these next time I come around and I’ll consider that scroll covered. Sound like a deal? I can go look in the back for fabric scraps as well, if you wish - ” “Yes!” Ila replied joyously, her hands balling into fists and waving with excitement. “Thank you!” “Does anyone else have things to offer?” Zuehal asked, looking out at the rest of the group. “Please, put them out on the table while I go fetch a few things off this list. And Edan, would you come with me please?” Edan nodded and began walking with the wildclaw. The makeshift lineup the rest of his clan had formed quickly dissolved behind them, with everyone clamoring to reach the table. “So, Zuehal…” Edan began, cocking his head to the side and giving the wildclaw a scrutinizing stare. “I gotta say, you’re giving us a better deal than I would have expected.” The wildclaw glanced over his shoulder and raised his brow, offering a small smile. “Like I know my girls are talented. Skilled,” he continued. “But it doesn’t seem like you to give us the scroll without any coin attached. What are you up to?” “Honestly?” Zuehal began, pulling open a large trunk behind his tent and pulling various small pieces of fabric into a bag. “It’s exciting to see a clan starting from the ground up, and I want to help. Not to bring it all back up, but I remember how you were… back then.” Edan swallowed, glancing away - which resulted in him briefly making eye contact with one of the ridgeback guards. Awful. “And aside from that,” Zuehal added, standing and handing the bag of scrap fabrics to Edan before heading to yet another trunk. “I saw you had a lot of building materials on your list there. Nails, bolts, fittings, and so on. You’re making more accommodations, aren’t you? Making a proper village. I see it as… an investment!” “I’m still paying you for these,” Edan stated, only to grunt as another - much more heavy - sack was pushed into his arms. He was terrible at balancing on his hind legs. “I don’t like being in debt.” “Oh, you won’t be,” Zuehal laughed, now moving to look through his food stock. “Particularly… if you’re willing to take one more dragon with you when you head back.” “What?” Edan balked. “Hold on now, are you talking about shacking up with us? Because that’s going to really throw a wrench on your whole Traveling Merchant thing.” “No, not me!” Zuehal laughed. “I was paid to find a home for this girl, you see, and it’s rare to run into a dragon I’d trust with such a thing. You though, and all those happy kids? It seems perfect. I’d consider it quite a favour should you agree.” “Well, I,” Edan paused, staring at the ground as he tried to think. “I’ll have to meet her first.” “Oh, of course!” Zuehal nodded, turning back to him with two large sacks - one of rice, one of wheat flour - in his arms. “I’ll take you to her now. You can talk for a few minutes while I go grab the rest of what you ordered.” “Uh. Alright,” Edan replied hesitantly, following behind the wildclaw as quickly as he could manage. The table was completely covered in various items by the time they returned, and Zuehal quickly promised he’d be back to look them over as he set down the bags he’d been carrying. Edan dropped his, as well, and followed as the wildclaw ushered him behind a hanging curtain that covered the back of his tent. “Hello, Angie,” Zuehal greeted warmly, smiling as he gestured toward Edan. “I believe I’ve found a home for you to go to, if you feel comfortable. This is Edan, I’ve known him for a number of years now.” The dragon that blinked up at him looked quite… odd. Edan didn’t know exactly what she was. It was the mane that was most confusing; incredibly long black hair draped down to cover much of her body - and her limbs as well. What he could see was covered in both scales and what looked like burns. She brushed her hair from her eyes and offered a claw to him. It was only then he could discern she looked [i]mostly[/i] like a nocturne. “Hello, Angie,” he greeted, carefully shaking her talon. “It’s nice to meet you.” “And you,” she replied in what was barely more than a whisper. “Angie here’s clan got caught up in… an unpleasant series of skirmishes,” Zuehal explained. “Her parents paid me to get her to safety, preferably somewhere rather… quiet.” “Well, can’t say we don’t have that,” Edan replied. “Though it’ll be a bit cramped for you where I live for now. We’ll be building soon, but for now it’s basically… two rooms.” “Well, so long as it’s bigger than a tent,” she replied, still barely audible. A nervous smile briefly ghosted across her face. “And… Zuehal, is this a permanent arrangement?” he asked, turning to look at the wildclaw. “If people are gonna come calling for her it needs to be through you, I’m not giving up my location - ” “I know, I know,” Zuehal replied, waving his hands dismissively. “You have my word, Edan. If her parents call for her return, I’ll come by and advertise another sale. Maybe leave a little mark on the bottom of the notice so you have a signal to watch for. I won’t give up your… secret hideout.” Edan frowned. “Anyway, I’ll go get the rest of your order, now,” the wildclaw continued. “Feel free to chat a bit while I look through everything. I won’t be long.” Edan and the strange little dragon sat in silence for a moment. He felt anxiety fill his chest as he began to realize her coming with him might actually happen. He looked back to her and took a deep breath. “So… if you do come with us, there are some things you should know. Some ground rules,” Edan began. “The most important is to not wander off. We live remotely. There are many dangers out in the wild, and if you want to go out, you take someone with you to watch your back.” “That seems sensible,” Angie replied, nodding. “Everyone pulls their own weight in my clan,” he continued. “Now… you look to be injured, so we wouldn’t expect much of you until that’s… sorted. But otherwise you’d be expected to hunt, gather, work with the rest of us.” Angie nodded again. “And finally…” Edan sighed. “There are dangerous groups out there, and people we have to protect. It sounds a lot like what you’ve been dealing with already, which is why I’m hoping I can trust you. I’ll introduce you to the rest of my clan soon, and promise me you won’t trust anyone else - if you [i]do [/i]see someone else out there, in the woods, you tell one of us so we can deal with it. Make sure it’s safe.” “I… I’m not sure I understand,” she replied quietly, giving him a worried look. “I’m saying where I live - and the people who live in it - are safe, because I keep it hidden,” Edan stated. “So if you’re going to come with me, you have to do your part to protect it too.” “Oh,” Angie nodded. “Of course. I promise I will.” “Okay, good,” Edan replied, letting out some of his nerves with a quick sigh. “So… what is it that happened to you? Does… that need treatment?” “Uh, to put it simply, the house I was in was torched,” she replied, grimacing. “And there’s not really anything to do about these burns aside from keep them clean until they heal on their own…” “Solveig might be able to help,” Edan offered. “Or - well, we have a few healers. Might be able to dull the pain a bit at least, speed it along…” Zuehal poked his head in through the curtain, smiling curiously at the two. “So, what do you think?” “I think this will work,” Angie replied. Edan nodded silently in agreement. “Excellent! Let’s head out then,” Zuehal grinned and pulled back the curtain for them both. “I think we were able to work all the extras out while you were talking.” “Extras?” Edan asked, giving Zuehal a confused look before turning and seeing the nocturne quartet, who were [i]all [/i]holding scrolls. --------- [sub] Meet Zuehal: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=32598177] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/325982/32598177_350.png[/img] [/url] And Angie: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=48037896] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/480379/48037896_350.png[/img] [/url] Please consider Zuehal something of an NPC if you will. @Dovalore, @Valishtu, @Gloomyvibes, @AnimeLover9631, @Akash, @tigressRising, @ArgenteaMoon, @mintSMASH, @StormWendjule, @IronPen, @Solaristigres, @Acuarela, @Rivix, @Keet, @Farwalker, @catmeow1, @fuurin, @owlstar7, @amberclawed, @cgnx, @arinemera, @Weredogalism, @Kosaa, @astrallis, @ShadewingRising, @Kyaritty, @Chalkolate, @Drachenschwinge, @luteia
A Deal

Note: this kind of ends on what looks like a cliffhanger or something? It's not meant to be. It's just this damn chapter is LONG ENOUGH ALREADY LOL

Dawn had just risen, and already the house was bustling with activity.

Saerun and Ciron were still dozing. Saerun had only briefly gotten up to take Clara and get her settled, as they’d be looking after her alongside their home today.

Everyone else was up and ready to leave, though some were more awake than others. Solveig and Ila were a bit quiet, and Marshall seemed especially bleary. Espen and Hazel were practically bouncing off the walls.

“Alright,” Edan began, looking over the group. “Do you have everything you want to trade packed?”

Various ‘yes’es and grunts of confirmation greeted him.

“And you have provisions for the day?”

More ‘yes’es.

“Alright, good. Let’s get going. Just follow me. Don’t stray off.”

Their flight was uneventful.

The weather had been pleasant, and nobody had difficulty keeping up.

Edan had frequently looked over his shoulder to check for stragglers, but instead found that everyone had been dutifully following his movements. Without needing to keep everyone in line, he instead found himself marveling by how much his group had grown in such a short time.

It wouldn’t even be out of place to have a clan name at this point.
Gods, he needed to build.
…And to focus on navigating properly.

He had the group land and convene to eat lunch, and looked over the list they’d cobbled together the night before.

“So… I’m not sure how much of this we’re gonna manage,” he admitted, frowning as he looked over the considerably long scroll. “…So I’m looking forward to seeing how all of you handle haggling. Zuehal is known to cut a deal, if you can convince him.”

“How are we supposed to do that?” Hazel asked.

“Well hell, you’re proud of your sculptures, aren’t you?” Edan asked. “Tell him why! Tell him how you made them, and how long it took! There’s value in that.”

“You ramble about them to us for hours,” Marshall snorted. “So do that to him. Maybe he’ll pay you extra to like, shut up eventually.”

“Oh, bite me,” Hazel snapped, turning to snarl at him.

She has something to contribute,” Edan asked, giving the swamp-coloured nocturne a particularly cold glare as he spoke. “Do you?”

“Hm? Yeah,” Marshall took a moment to chew on his jerky, evidently unaffected by the anger directed at him. “Been collecting geodes. Bones. Stuff like that.”

“I’m not sure he’s going to be interested in bones, Marshall,” Edan shook his head.

“Fine, then I have geodes.”

“I’ve got some scarves, and clothes I made that don’t fit anymore,” Ila said nervously. “I thought about keeping them for someone else, but it might be better to just sell them, right? If he’ll take them?”

“He sells clothes so, yeah, he should,” Edan replied. “Anyone else?”

“I mean, I picked the best of my junk, but I mostly just have… junk,” Rorin admitted, looking vaguely embarrassed.

“Same,” Espen added with a snicker.

“Alright well… you go last, so you don’t just tick him off.”

It was mid-afternoon by the time the outpost was in sight.

Edan had halted the group for a moment, circling and watching for any other patrons down below.

Zuehal was indeed there, the vivid blue wildclaw sitting crosslegged in a tent stall. He was flanked by two large ridgebacks who were armed to the teeth, but lying around in a casual manner. Edan noted another heat signature coming from within the tent, but couldn’t discern what it was.

“Oh, yea! His note said he’d have bodyguards or something,” Hazel said, peering curiously down beside him.

“Makes sense,” Edan replied, watching as a small group of longnecks trotted off from the tent, large baskets and bags balanced on their shoulders. “Alright, looks like the last of his customers are dealt with… no other dragons. Let’s go.”

Edan tilted his wings and soared downward, seeing the wildclaw below take notice of his group and look up, cupping his hand over his eyes.

“Edan!” Zuehal shouted. “It’s been years since I’ve seen you!”

Edan landed, and nodded in greeting.
Ila landed next and waved politely, with Solveig following suit.

Then Hazel touched down and immediately rushed over to him, which resulted in the two ridgebacks suddenly sitting up straight to watch her intently.

“Easy there!” Edan shouted, frowning as he trotted up to her side. He looked toward Zuehal. “So… got a few more people around since we last spoke. We’ll be looking to stock up.”

“And I would like to be a skydancer, please,” Hazel said, gesturing toward herself. “I’m Hazel, and I make some pretty cool things I think you might like.”

“Uh, yeah, looking to buy a skydancer scroll, rice, flour, nails, uh,” Edan pulled out the list and handed it to the wildclaw. “Whatever you can fill from this after you see what we’ve got to offer. I’ve got gold too, just hoping to do a partial trade.”

“Ah,” Zuehal blinked, looking between Edan and the list. His moment of bemusement quickly passed, and a toothy grin quickly replaced it. He spread his arms out and gestured toward an empty table beside him. continued in a slight sing-song. “I see. By all means, show me what you’ve got! I’m sure we can work out a deal. Just lay your works out here, miss Hazel.”

Hazel hurried over and began going through her bags, carefully placing her sculptures and jewellery out one by one. As she worked, Zuehal sidled over to Edan.

“So, tell me,” he began quietly. “How did so many dragons find their way into your company? Did you join a clan?”

“No, actually,” Edan replied, shaking his head. “They all found their way to me, if you can believe that.”

Really?” the wildclaw laughed. “Hah! How many do you have now?”

“Eight,” Edan replied after a moment’s pause. He’d briefly thought of mentioning Clara, but then he’d have to explain leaving a baby at home “alone”. “All pretty excited for this, as you can tell.”

“Hm, yes,” the wildclaw replied, stroking his chin as he pondered. “It looks like you might benefit from a few more visits from me per year at this rate.”

“Don’t know if I can afford that, Zuehal,” Edan replied flatly, raising a brow at the wildclaw.

Zuehal didn’t seem to notice, instead focused on Hazel’s display. He headed over and stood by the table.
“Very interesting, my girl! You made these all yourself?”

“Absolutely!” Hazel replied proudly, her hands on her hips. “I found all the parts myself, too!”
She picked up a necklace from the table and held it out toward him. “Do you see all those little chain links? I put them together myself, piece by piece! That’s why there’s two different shapes alternating! And they’re strong too!”
She took a moment to pull harshly on the chain - which, to her word, did not break or show any signs of strain.

“Very nice!” Zuehal remarked, seeming genuinely impressed. “And, I see why you’re wishing to become a skydancer. Better for the detail work, isn’t it?”

“Yes, exactly!” Hazel nodded. Edan breathed a sigh of relief at her reply. “And I promise you that all my work is just as well-made as this one! Please, have a look!”

Zuehal bent forward, adjusting his glasses as he looked over each of the approximately dozen trinkets that Hazel had brought him and testing their strength. After a few minutes of inspection, he stood up straight and nodded. “Yes, I’m confident I can find buyers for these. I’ll take them all… but to be clear, it will cover about a third of the scroll’s cost. Does that sound acceptable to you?”

Hazel nodded and pranced off, shooting Marshall an absolutely demonic grin once she’d turned her back to Zuehal.

Ila was next to step up. She carefully moved Hazel’s work to a corner of the table before beginning to set out the clothing she’d brought.
“Hello, Zuehal, it’s nice to meet you!” she greeted brightly, though Edan could hear some nervousness in her voice. “It’s to my understanding you trade in clothing, as well? I’m - I’m a seamstress, and I wanted to see if you’d be interested what I make? I’m interested in trading for fabric as well.”

“How interesting!” Zuehal exclaimed, picking up a scarf and holding it out in the light. “I’ve not seen a mosaic pattern like this before… are all the pieces sewn individually?”

“Yes,” Ila replied, nodding. She took a moment to ponder her words. “Each cut, selected, and set by hand.”

“That must take days,” the wildclaw said, inspecting the stitches carefully.

“Oh, it does,” Ila laughed. “But honestly, I tend to work on them when I’m trying to fall asleep. I find it… calming.”

“They’re quite beautiful. I’ll be happy to take them all,” he grinned. “Unique handmade pieces like this tend to go for a high price, and I’m fairly certain the… exoticism of your remote location will bump up the price as well. Hmm… promise you bring more of these next time I come around and I’ll consider that scroll covered. Sound like a deal? I can go look in the back for fabric scraps as well, if you wish - ”

“Yes!” Ila replied joyously, her hands balling into fists and waving with excitement. “Thank you!”

“Does anyone else have things to offer?” Zuehal asked, looking out at the rest of the group. “Please, put them out on the table while I go fetch a few things off this list. And Edan, would you come with me please?”

Edan nodded and began walking with the wildclaw. The makeshift lineup the rest of his clan had formed quickly dissolved behind them, with everyone clamoring to reach the table.

“So, Zuehal…” Edan began, cocking his head to the side and giving the wildclaw a scrutinizing stare. “I gotta say, you’re giving us a better deal than I would have expected.”

The wildclaw glanced over his shoulder and raised his brow, offering a small smile.

“Like I know my girls are talented. Skilled,” he continued. “But it doesn’t seem like you to give us the scroll without any coin attached. What are you up to?”

“Honestly?” Zuehal began, pulling open a large trunk behind his tent and pulling various small pieces of fabric into a bag. “It’s exciting to see a clan starting from the ground up, and I want to help. Not to bring it all back up, but I remember how you were… back then.”

Edan swallowed, glancing away - which resulted in him briefly making eye contact with one of the ridgeback guards. Awful.

“And aside from that,” Zuehal added, standing and handing the bag of scrap fabrics to Edan before heading to yet another trunk. “I saw you had a lot of building materials on your list there. Nails, bolts, fittings, and so on. You’re making more accommodations, aren’t you? Making a proper village. I see it as… an investment!”

“I’m still paying you for these,” Edan stated, only to grunt as another - much more heavy - sack was pushed into his arms. He was terrible at balancing on his hind legs. “I don’t like being in debt.”

“Oh, you won’t be,” Zuehal laughed, now moving to look through his food stock. “Particularly… if you’re willing to take one more dragon with you when you head back.”

“What?” Edan balked. “Hold on now, are you talking about shacking up with us? Because that’s going to really throw a wrench on your whole Traveling Merchant thing.”

“No, not me!” Zuehal laughed. “I was paid to find a home for this girl, you see, and it’s rare to run into a dragon I’d trust with such a thing. You though, and all those happy kids? It seems perfect. I’d consider it quite a favour should you agree.”

“Well, I,” Edan paused, staring at the ground as he tried to think. “I’ll have to meet her first.”

“Oh, of course!” Zuehal nodded, turning back to him with two large sacks - one of rice, one of wheat flour - in his arms. “I’ll take you to her now. You can talk for a few minutes while I go grab the rest of what you ordered.”

“Uh. Alright,” Edan replied hesitantly, following behind the wildclaw as quickly as he could manage.

The table was completely covered in various items by the time they returned, and Zuehal quickly promised he’d be back to look them over as he set down the bags he’d been carrying. Edan dropped his, as well, and followed as the wildclaw ushered him behind a hanging curtain that covered the back of his tent.

“Hello, Angie,” Zuehal greeted warmly, smiling as he gestured toward Edan. “I believe I’ve found a home for you to go to, if you feel comfortable. This is Edan, I’ve known him for a number of years now.”

The dragon that blinked up at him looked quite… odd. Edan didn’t know exactly what she was. It was the mane that was most confusing; incredibly long black hair draped down to cover much of her body - and her limbs as well. What he could see was covered in both scales and what looked like burns. She brushed her hair from her eyes and offered a claw to him. It was only then he could discern she looked mostly like a nocturne.

“Hello, Angie,” he greeted, carefully shaking her talon. “It’s nice to meet you.”

“And you,” she replied in what was barely more than a whisper.

“Angie here’s clan got caught up in… an unpleasant series of skirmishes,” Zuehal explained. “Her parents paid me to get her to safety, preferably somewhere rather… quiet.”

“Well, can’t say we don’t have that,” Edan replied. “Though it’ll be a bit cramped for you where I live for now. We’ll be building soon, but for now it’s basically… two rooms.”

“Well, so long as it’s bigger than a tent,” she replied, still barely audible. A nervous smile briefly ghosted across her face.

“And… Zuehal, is this a permanent arrangement?” he asked, turning to look at the wildclaw. “If people are gonna come calling for her it needs to be through you, I’m not giving up my location - ”

“I know, I know,” Zuehal replied, waving his hands dismissively. “You have my word, Edan. If her parents call for her return, I’ll come by and advertise another sale. Maybe leave a little mark on the bottom of the notice so you have a signal to watch for. I won’t give up your… secret hideout.”

Edan frowned.

“Anyway, I’ll go get the rest of your order, now,” the wildclaw continued. “Feel free to chat a bit while I look through everything. I won’t be long.”

Edan and the strange little dragon sat in silence for a moment. He felt anxiety fill his chest as he began to realize her coming with him might actually happen.
He looked back to her and took a deep breath.

“So… if you do come with us, there are some things you should know. Some ground rules,” Edan began. “The most important is to not wander off. We live remotely. There are many dangers out in the wild, and if you want to go out, you take someone with you to watch your back.”

“That seems sensible,” Angie replied, nodding.

“Everyone pulls their own weight in my clan,” he continued. “Now… you look to be injured, so we wouldn’t expect much of you until that’s… sorted. But otherwise you’d be expected to hunt, gather, work with the rest of us.”

Angie nodded again.

“And finally…” Edan sighed. “There are dangerous groups out there, and people we have to protect. It sounds a lot like what you’ve been dealing with already, which is why I’m hoping I can trust you. I’ll introduce you to the rest of my clan soon, and promise me you won’t trust anyone else - if you do see someone else out there, in the woods, you tell one of us so we can deal with it. Make sure it’s safe.”

“I… I’m not sure I understand,” she replied quietly, giving him a worried look.

“I’m saying where I live - and the people who live in it - are safe, because I keep it hidden,” Edan stated. “So if you’re going to come with me, you have to do your part to protect it too.”

“Oh,” Angie nodded. “Of course. I promise I will.”

“Okay, good,” Edan replied, letting out some of his nerves with a quick sigh. “So… what is it that happened to you? Does… that need treatment?”

“Uh, to put it simply, the house I was in was torched,” she replied, grimacing. “And there’s not really anything to do about these burns aside from keep them clean until they heal on their own…”

“Solveig might be able to help,” Edan offered. “Or - well, we have a few healers. Might be able to dull the pain a bit at least, speed it along…”
Zuehal poked his head in through the curtain, smiling curiously at the two.

“So, what do you think?”

“I think this will work,” Angie replied. Edan nodded silently in agreement.

“Excellent! Let’s head out then,” Zuehal grinned and pulled back the curtain for them both. “I think we were able to work all the extras out while you were talking.”

“Extras?” Edan asked, giving Zuehal a confused look before turning and seeing the nocturne quartet, who were all holding scrolls.

Meet Zuehal:

32598177_350.png

And Angie:

48037896_350.png

Please consider Zuehal something of an NPC if you will.

@Dovalore, @Valishtu, @Gloomyvibes, @AnimeLover9631, @Akash, @tigressRising, @ArgenteaMoon, @mintSMASH, @StormWendjule, @IronPen, @Solaristigres, @Acuarela, @Rivix, @Keet, @Farwalker, @catmeow1, @fuurin, @owlstar7, @amberclawed, @cgnx, @arinemera, @Weredogalism, @Kosaa, @astrallis, @ShadewingRising, @Kyaritty, @Chalkolate, @Drachenschwinge, @luteia
PLEASE do not ask about
my avatar on an
unrelated thread topic!
- Accent Shop!
- G1s with Art!
- Wishlist/Icon Dragon
ahh i really like angie's soft and graceful look!

and the sibling dynamic!
ahh i really like angie's soft and graceful look!

and the sibling dynamic!
sig_me.pngsig_art.pngsig_f2u.png
@Dovalore

Thank you very much! Also Marshall is just kind of a craphead
@Dovalore

Thank you very much! Also Marshall is just kind of a craphead
PLEASE do not ask about
my avatar on an
unrelated thread topic!
- Accent Shop!
- G1s with Art!
- Wishlist/Icon Dragon
1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 62 63