Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Write Away
1 2 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 91 92
She kicked her legs in the ocean, and from where her feet touched the water, steam billowed into the air. It was creation, they said, of the most primal type. She called it free real estate.

All the things she made started out hot and untouchable, but they soon cooled and green things grew on them. Sometimes, she got bored and destroyed them in a wave of burning rock! Sometimes, she let them grow.

Don't get her started on the flies, though. Scientists talked about rapid evolution and speciation, she wondered if it was worth wiping the slates clean to get rid of the buzzing little things. What were flies even for?

She knew what she was for. In the old days, she'd been everything, everywhere, turning the world inside out. Some of her had become the rock in the sky everyone seemed to like so much. But those were the days when she was young, before she settled down and made some proper mountain ranges, plateaus, valleys. Now she was slow and she carried everything on her back.

Worst of all, most of her was hidden underneath... it. Slimy and full of wriggling things and so very, very cold, always splashing and sloshing around. It was easy to hate, her polar opposite. And most of the time, they did not mix, because it did not like her either. It stayed in the oceanic basins, she pushed the Himalayas as tall as they could go. It washed in and out of the shores uneasily, she was sculpted by the wind into fantastic shapes.

But that couldn't happen here, where she fought her way from underneath it back into the sun. Creating new land for new things to grow on. Everywhere else they could ignore each other, river canyons in a land of dust, but not here.

Here, she turned water to steam.

//

@Avanari
She kicked her legs in the ocean, and from where her feet touched the water, steam billowed into the air. It was creation, they said, of the most primal type. She called it free real estate.

All the things she made started out hot and untouchable, but they soon cooled and green things grew on them. Sometimes, she got bored and destroyed them in a wave of burning rock! Sometimes, she let them grow.

Don't get her started on the flies, though. Scientists talked about rapid evolution and speciation, she wondered if it was worth wiping the slates clean to get rid of the buzzing little things. What were flies even for?

She knew what she was for. In the old days, she'd been everything, everywhere, turning the world inside out. Some of her had become the rock in the sky everyone seemed to like so much. But those were the days when she was young, before she settled down and made some proper mountain ranges, plateaus, valleys. Now she was slow and she carried everything on her back.

Worst of all, most of her was hidden underneath... it. Slimy and full of wriggling things and so very, very cold, always splashing and sloshing around. It was easy to hate, her polar opposite. And most of the time, they did not mix, because it did not like her either. It stayed in the oceanic basins, she pushed the Himalayas as tall as they could go. It washed in and out of the shores uneasily, she was sculpted by the wind into fantastic shapes.

But that couldn't happen here, where she fought her way from underneath it back into the sun. Creating new land for new things to grow on. Everywhere else they could ignore each other, river canyons in a land of dust, but not here.

Here, she turned water to steam.

//

@Avanari
FVLARTi.png
@Avanari Deadline has passed, boop! :3
@Avanari Deadline has passed, boop! :3
RkXJJ5L.png
3adgzZD.png
6Dq3jOp.png
tqGkHih.png
bYt72YT.png
AaYNmEX.png
Sorry all! Life’s been hectic and I haven’t been feeling well these last couple of days. I’m trying to read through them all and judge. Again, I’m sorry.
Sorry all! Life’s been hectic and I haven’t been feeling well these last couple of days. I’m trying to read through them all and judge. Again, I’m sorry.
Sorry this took so long guys. I have finals. Sorry if this seems rushed but it’s been a week and I needed to get this up.

@Gusted
I truly loved how you wrote this! I found the ending rather haunting and it was beautiful! It flowed well and I enjoyed it! Amazing job!
Fav. Line(s): “It all fell across the land once again, and, as quickly as the life had come, it was gone. A world that had once been lush and green and red and blue was now gone, and all that remained was death, decay, and darkness.”

@Kapara
I always find it impressive when someone can write poetry since I just suck at it. Lol! Anyway! This was short and sweet and enjoyable! Nicely done!
Fav. Line(s): “As the world fades
and chaos returns, history remembers
impossibility learned.”

@lessthan3
This was fantastic! It seemed like a whole new story was about to unfold on the end that I really wanted to hear! It was so well written and I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Fav. Line(s): “A half of a rainbow bridge appeared before their feet, and though they felt unchanged, they set foot upon it and walked upward, heading toward the world.”

@Adaris
This was beautiful and sad and I loved it! The way you mixed some fun humor with a sadder elements. Truly beautiful!
Fav. Line(s): “Don't get her started on the flies, though. Scientists talked about rapid evolution and speciation, she wondered if it was worth wiping the slates clean to get rid of the buzzing little things.”

It’s always hard to pick a winner but—
Winner: lessthan3
Runner Up: Gusted, Adaris
Sorry this took so long guys. I have finals. Sorry if this seems rushed but it’s been a week and I needed to get this up.

@Gusted
I truly loved how you wrote this! I found the ending rather haunting and it was beautiful! It flowed well and I enjoyed it! Amazing job!
Fav. Line(s): “It all fell across the land once again, and, as quickly as the life had come, it was gone. A world that had once been lush and green and red and blue was now gone, and all that remained was death, decay, and darkness.”

@Kapara
I always find it impressive when someone can write poetry since I just suck at it. Lol! Anyway! This was short and sweet and enjoyable! Nicely done!
Fav. Line(s): “As the world fades
and chaos returns, history remembers
impossibility learned.”

@lessthan3
This was fantastic! It seemed like a whole new story was about to unfold on the end that I really wanted to hear! It was so well written and I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Fav. Line(s): “A half of a rainbow bridge appeared before their feet, and though they felt unchanged, they set foot upon it and walked upward, heading toward the world.”

@Adaris
This was beautiful and sad and I loved it! The way you mixed some fun humor with a sadder elements. Truly beautiful!
Fav. Line(s): “Don't get her started on the flies, though. Scientists talked about rapid evolution and speciation, she wondered if it was worth wiping the slates clean to get rid of the buzzing little things.”

It’s always hard to pick a winner but—
Winner: lessthan3
Runner Up: Gusted, Adaris
Can you please ping me for prompts?
Can you please ping me for prompts?
CYAN LOVERS UNITE
5MwdWh0.png
Oh my gosh, I won! Next prompt: [img]https://i.pinimg.com/564x/a3/13/1b/a3131b954bb3015a9333a30e8d5a9d5e.jpg[/img] Deadline: June 28 00:00 FR Time @Chrisondra @TidalMoonrise @Mypilot @PixieKnight3264 @Karika @SamIamLuvDov @Lightshadow101 @humanityxpeople @coyearth @Avanari @demonslayr62 @Auraelia @Endernil @Arithelia @Sillywinter @inthestars @Annalynn @meddlesomedragon @SocialBookWorm @SolusPrime379 @Kattata @Reiyn @Skyeset @lessthan3 @AwkwardAngel @Draxia @Toxical @0Musicheart0 @Aphelium @AloneTogether @CelestialNarwhal @Kapara @Slayborn @pharmakraken @Elroth @After @Moonwater @Adaris @LapisDragon17718 @saltyy @ladylilitu @Dragonartist24 @MysticalScribe
Oh my gosh, I won!

Next prompt:

a3131b954bb3015a9333a30e8d5a9d5e.jpg

Deadline: June 28 00:00 FR Time

@Chrisondra @TidalMoonrise @Mypilot @PixieKnight3264 @Karika @SamIamLuvDov @Lightshadow101 @humanityxpeople @coyearth @Avanari @demonslayr62 @Auraelia @Endernil @Arithelia @Sillywinter @inthestars @Annalynn @meddlesomedragon @SocialBookWorm @SolusPrime379 @Kattata @Reiyn @Skyeset @lessthan3 @AwkwardAngel @Draxia @Toxical @0Musicheart0 @Aphelium @AloneTogether @CelestialNarwhal @Kapara @Slayborn @pharmakraken @Elroth @After @Moonwater @Adaris @LapisDragon17718 @saltyy @ladylilitu @Dragonartist24 @MysticalScribe
RkXJJ5L.png
3adgzZD.png
6Dq3jOp.png
tqGkHih.png
bYt72YT.png
AaYNmEX.png
@TwoSwordsClash
@TwoSwordsClash
WARNING: I am likely to put everyone else before myself. Please take this into consideration.
@lessthan3

The small town of Riverton sat nestled between two towering peaks in the Rocky Mountains. Made up of two roads that fed directly to the interstate, the town was mainly inhabited by those who were born there. With only a couple hundred citizens and a dense wood surrounding it, Riverton was the definition of a small town.

The Pollux family had lived there since the town had been established, arriving with the other two families who had trekked west to the idyllic crevasse. Down through the decades, the three families continued to grow and build, attracting the loners and naturists. The gold rush brought in much needed growth, but then left Riverton as barren as the rest of the boom towns.

Jaecen Pollux was one of the last of the Pollux line to live in Riverton. The rest were long gone, and the town was nearing its end. His bags were packed and sitting in the living room, as he sat in bed pondering the upcoming move. He lay on a sleeping bag on the floor of his master bedroom while the light of the moon shone throughout.

The light seemed so precious and pure, Jaecen thought it might do him some good to clear his mind, breathe in the fresh night air. He wanted more than anything to see the moon shining down through the trees onto the abandoned streets of the town. He stood up and walked around the room, throwing on a jacket and pulling on his shoes. Just as he went to push open the door, he felt his phone vibrate in his pocket.

Jaecen ignored it, but it kept vibrating, much longer than it should. Pulling his phone out of his pocket, he flicked it on. The screen illuminated as notifications scrolled down the screen. One after the other, they kept coming, each one displaying the same cryptic message:

IT'S A BEAUTIFUL NIGHT TONIGHT. LOOK OUTSIDE.

The messages kept coming in, pausing only intermittently. Jaecen opened his phone and checked the numbers to find that everyone he knew in Riverton had sent the message. The texts stopped coming as the last person he knew rang in, and he stood, staring at his phone in confusion mingled with terror. Something was definitely wrong.

As he stood there, his screen turned black, and his phone blared a siren as a new message flashed:

DO NOT LOOK AT THE MOON.

Almost immediately afterwards, Jaecen heard another siren coming from outside his door, then another, and another, until it seemed that the earth itself was screaming out in pain. In a panic, he threw open the door.

The moon sat on the horizon directly down the street that stretched away from Jaecen's door. It was massive as it tucked itself between the two peaks. Its light shone down on the entire town, silhouetting every building, street sign, and car, as well as a couple hundred people standing in front of Jaecen's house, staring at him.

Their eyes were flushed white, shining with the same light as the moon as they all pulled their mouths into painfully wide smiles and spoke with one voice:

It's a beautiful night tonight.

Jaecen responded:

It is.
@lessthan3

The small town of Riverton sat nestled between two towering peaks in the Rocky Mountains. Made up of two roads that fed directly to the interstate, the town was mainly inhabited by those who were born there. With only a couple hundred citizens and a dense wood surrounding it, Riverton was the definition of a small town.

The Pollux family had lived there since the town had been established, arriving with the other two families who had trekked west to the idyllic crevasse. Down through the decades, the three families continued to grow and build, attracting the loners and naturists. The gold rush brought in much needed growth, but then left Riverton as barren as the rest of the boom towns.

Jaecen Pollux was one of the last of the Pollux line to live in Riverton. The rest were long gone, and the town was nearing its end. His bags were packed and sitting in the living room, as he sat in bed pondering the upcoming move. He lay on a sleeping bag on the floor of his master bedroom while the light of the moon shone throughout.

The light seemed so precious and pure, Jaecen thought it might do him some good to clear his mind, breathe in the fresh night air. He wanted more than anything to see the moon shining down through the trees onto the abandoned streets of the town. He stood up and walked around the room, throwing on a jacket and pulling on his shoes. Just as he went to push open the door, he felt his phone vibrate in his pocket.

Jaecen ignored it, but it kept vibrating, much longer than it should. Pulling his phone out of his pocket, he flicked it on. The screen illuminated as notifications scrolled down the screen. One after the other, they kept coming, each one displaying the same cryptic message:

IT'S A BEAUTIFUL NIGHT TONIGHT. LOOK OUTSIDE.

The messages kept coming in, pausing only intermittently. Jaecen opened his phone and checked the numbers to find that everyone he knew in Riverton had sent the message. The texts stopped coming as the last person he knew rang in, and he stood, staring at his phone in confusion mingled with terror. Something was definitely wrong.

As he stood there, his screen turned black, and his phone blared a siren as a new message flashed:

DO NOT LOOK AT THE MOON.

Almost immediately afterwards, Jaecen heard another siren coming from outside his door, then another, and another, until it seemed that the earth itself was screaming out in pain. In a panic, he threw open the door.

The moon sat on the horizon directly down the street that stretched away from Jaecen's door. It was massive as it tucked itself between the two peaks. Its light shone down on the entire town, silhouetting every building, street sign, and car, as well as a couple hundred people standing in front of Jaecen's house, staring at him.

Their eyes were flushed white, shining with the same light as the moon as they all pulled their mouths into painfully wide smiles and spoke with one voice:

It's a beautiful night tonight.

Jaecen responded:

It is.
WARNING: I am likely to put everyone else before myself. Please take this into consideration.
@lessthan3
Hope the repetitiveness didn't get too annoying! If you need me to reformat it (maybe make the repeated phrase a bit smaller, so that the rest of the text is easy to see?) just give me a ping. :)

God, the moon was beautiful. Inside my pocket, something buzzed. God, the moon was beautiful. Should I check it? God, the moon was beautiful. I had a niggling, uneasy feeling, at the back - God, the moon was beautiful. What was that? Something was wr - God, the moon was beautiful. My pocket moved again. God the mo - and again God, the moon - and again Go - and again and again and again. My hand moved of its own accord, muscle memory unlocking my pho - God, the moon was beautiful. Something clattered onto the ground. It felt impor - God, the moon was beautiful. Was there something by my feet? I wanted to bend do - God, the moon was beautiful. It was! I wasn't usually one for stargazing, but tonight seemed special. The moon was extremely large, and tinted with green and gold. Was it supposed to be that colo - God, the moon was beautiful. It was! I wasn't usually one for starg - oh, something buzzed at my feet. Should I pick - God, the moon was beautiful. There was something at my feet! Moving - God, the moon was beautiful. There was something - God, the moon was beautiful. And it was - GOD, THE MOON WAS BEAUTIFUL - what was that? Something at my fe - GOD, THE MOON WAS BEAUTIFUL. I relaxed, enjoying the fresh air. It had been a good idea to take a late night jog. I wasn't sure what time it was, but just standing here, staring at the sky...it was a pity that the moon's light blocked off the stars. Honestly, it was bigger than normal. And it was a weird col - God, the moon was beautiful. Something made a strange sound at my feet, but I decided to ignore it. Who knew what it was? Wait, it sounded strangely like - God, the moon was beautiful. I put my hands away from my sides. They had been searching for something, what was - God, the moon was beautiful. Slowly, I started moving. There was something wrong, something bad about this place. Perhaps it had something to do with the too-large, oddly-hued mo - GOD, THE MOON WAS BEAUTIFUL. GOD, THE MOON WAS BEAUTIFUL. GOD THE MOON WAS BEAUTIFUL. GOD, THE MOO-

"SUBJECT ERROR. TERMINATE SESSION."
@lessthan3
Hope the repetitiveness didn't get too annoying! If you need me to reformat it (maybe make the repeated phrase a bit smaller, so that the rest of the text is easy to see?) just give me a ping. :)

God, the moon was beautiful. Inside my pocket, something buzzed. God, the moon was beautiful. Should I check it? God, the moon was beautiful. I had a niggling, uneasy feeling, at the back - God, the moon was beautiful. What was that? Something was wr - God, the moon was beautiful. My pocket moved again. God the mo - and again God, the moon - and again Go - and again and again and again. My hand moved of its own accord, muscle memory unlocking my pho - God, the moon was beautiful. Something clattered onto the ground. It felt impor - God, the moon was beautiful. Was there something by my feet? I wanted to bend do - God, the moon was beautiful. It was! I wasn't usually one for stargazing, but tonight seemed special. The moon was extremely large, and tinted with green and gold. Was it supposed to be that colo - God, the moon was beautiful. It was! I wasn't usually one for starg - oh, something buzzed at my feet. Should I pick - God, the moon was beautiful. There was something at my feet! Moving - God, the moon was beautiful. There was something - God, the moon was beautiful. And it was - GOD, THE MOON WAS BEAUTIFUL - what was that? Something at my fe - GOD, THE MOON WAS BEAUTIFUL. I relaxed, enjoying the fresh air. It had been a good idea to take a late night jog. I wasn't sure what time it was, but just standing here, staring at the sky...it was a pity that the moon's light blocked off the stars. Honestly, it was bigger than normal. And it was a weird col - God, the moon was beautiful. Something made a strange sound at my feet, but I decided to ignore it. Who knew what it was? Wait, it sounded strangely like - God, the moon was beautiful. I put my hands away from my sides. They had been searching for something, what was - God, the moon was beautiful. Slowly, I started moving. There was something wrong, something bad about this place. Perhaps it had something to do with the too-large, oddly-hued mo - GOD, THE MOON WAS BEAUTIFUL. GOD, THE MOON WAS BEAUTIFUL. GOD THE MOON WAS BEAUTIFUL. GOD, THE MOO-

"SUBJECT ERROR. TERMINATE SESSION."
@lessthan3

Entranced

It was just my bad luck to have an eye surgery on the eve of the only blue moon that would occur in my lifetime. The whole world, it seemed, knew about it. It was even mentioned in the news, which I could hear, but not see, from my hospital bed. The bandages, covering my eyes so they could heal, were not to be removed until tomorrow. I sighed. By then, the blue moon would be long since gone.
As nightfall drew near, I (somewhat sulkily) listened to an audio book. It wasn’t very good, though, so I paused it and reclined listlessly while everyone else went outside to await the moon’s arrival. I could hear their excited chatter through a window.
The blue Moon rose slowly, and with it the cries of amazement shivering through the entranced audience. A little boy in the room across from mine, who was in the same plight as myself, demanded of his mother, “Why can’t I see it too?” His mother shushed him and then along with the rest, became quiet, staring fixedly at the moon. Suddenly, everyone watching exclaimed as one, “It’s such a beautiful night tonight!” Maybe, but I couldn’t see it. Abruptly, the television blared, “Do Not Look at the Moon,” (Why? I wondered) “- Under Any Circumstances! Stay inside at All Costs!” The warning sounded over and over again until I unplugged the TV wearily. Then there was absolute silence. No one moved or spoke. All of a sudden, I heard the shuffling of feet I assumed were returning to their tasks. But I was so horribly mistaken. Their footsteps grew fainter and fainter, until I could hear them no more. The marcher’s murmurs about the great beauty of the moon remained for a while longer. Then they too were gone, and all I could hear was the little boy, wailing for his mother...
Next morning, I tore off my bandages and went outside to see what had happened. I found nearly everyone dead. Those who had looked at the moon were no more; they had all climbed to the top of the highest building they could find and jumped off. Why did they jump? Were they so entranced by the moon that they wanted to touch it, forgetting that humans cannot fly?
Whatever the reason, about half of the people on Earth were wiped out. All who were on the dark side of the planet perished, except for the few like me who did not see the moon’s deadly light.
@lessthan3

Entranced

It was just my bad luck to have an eye surgery on the eve of the only blue moon that would occur in my lifetime. The whole world, it seemed, knew about it. It was even mentioned in the news, which I could hear, but not see, from my hospital bed. The bandages, covering my eyes so they could heal, were not to be removed until tomorrow. I sighed. By then, the blue moon would be long since gone.
As nightfall drew near, I (somewhat sulkily) listened to an audio book. It wasn’t very good, though, so I paused it and reclined listlessly while everyone else went outside to await the moon’s arrival. I could hear their excited chatter through a window.
The blue Moon rose slowly, and with it the cries of amazement shivering through the entranced audience. A little boy in the room across from mine, who was in the same plight as myself, demanded of his mother, “Why can’t I see it too?” His mother shushed him and then along with the rest, became quiet, staring fixedly at the moon. Suddenly, everyone watching exclaimed as one, “It’s such a beautiful night tonight!” Maybe, but I couldn’t see it. Abruptly, the television blared, “Do Not Look at the Moon,” (Why? I wondered) “- Under Any Circumstances! Stay inside at All Costs!” The warning sounded over and over again until I unplugged the TV wearily. Then there was absolute silence. No one moved or spoke. All of a sudden, I heard the shuffling of feet I assumed were returning to their tasks. But I was so horribly mistaken. Their footsteps grew fainter and fainter, until I could hear them no more. The marcher’s murmurs about the great beauty of the moon remained for a while longer. Then they too were gone, and all I could hear was the little boy, wailing for his mother...
Next morning, I tore off my bandages and went outside to see what had happened. I found nearly everyone dead. Those who had looked at the moon were no more; they had all climbed to the top of the highest building they could find and jumped off. Why did they jump? Were they so entranced by the moon that they wanted to touch it, forgetting that humans cannot fly?
Whatever the reason, about half of the people on Earth were wiped out. All who were on the dark side of the planet perished, except for the few like me who did not see the moon’s deadly light.
CYAN LOVERS UNITE
5MwdWh0.png
1 2 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 91 92