Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | (constructively) roast my arts (earn g)
1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
@Dragonartist24

sounds good! I intend to do a people study next time i'm at the mall <3
@Dragonartist24

sounds good! I intend to do a people study next time i'm at the mall <3
@Mintiani

Yeah, that's a good place to "study". I also recommend doing it if you have anything else you have trouble on (for me, I tend to look at people's hands and the way their facial structure works.) :)
@Mintiani

Yeah, that's a good place to "study". I also recommend doing it if you have anything else you have trouble on (for me, I tend to look at people's hands and the way their facial structure works.) :)
@Mintiani I found a series of tutorials the other day that you may find helpful. :^)
https://design.tutsplus.com/articles/6-easy-tips-for-making-realistic-digital-paintings--cms-23665

https://design.tutsplus.com/articles/10-basic-mistakes-in-digital-painting-and-how-to-fix-them--cms-23730

https://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/7-exercises-to-improve-your-digital-painting-skills--cms-25133
@Mintiani I found a series of tutorials the other day that you may find helpful. :^)
https://design.tutsplus.com/articles/6-easy-tips-for-making-realistic-digital-paintings--cms-23665

https://design.tutsplus.com/articles/10-basic-mistakes-in-digital-painting-and-how-to-fix-them--cms-23730

https://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/7-exercises-to-improve-your-digital-painting-skills--cms-25133
tumblr_n8h81aIYJy1si697do4_500.png
@TheAlchemist

aaw thank you! I'll be sure to check them out!
@TheAlchemist

aaw thank you! I'll be sure to check them out!
@Mintiani
I love that glittery boi
@Mintiani
I love that glittery boi
nK1fyjz.png astramaru

she/her

» wishlist
» about
» lore
@MangoLlama

omg compliments are not roastings

waaaaah i'm happy you like it? ?!? >////<
@MangoLlama

omg compliments are not roastings

waaaaah i'm happy you like it? ?!? >////<
[color=#800040]@Mintiani Whoops, I'm super late to the party! Sorry for that - I was super busy with uni and work this week and didn't really have the energy to do anything else than feeding my dragons. Most of the things I would have said were already mentioned, so I'm just gonna say a few things that I think weren't mentioned yet. I'm gonna start with the faun (I think that's what it is, right?) - and more precisely, with his legs. I think they look a bit odd, as if something is missing, so I tried to replicate what you did to see what bothered me and then drew it the way I think it should look. [b]Take it with a grain of salt, though, because it honestly might just be my personal preference.[/b] (Also, excuse my very messy photoshop sketches.) [img]https://i.imgur.com/yJEwAOi.png[/img] Okay, to explain: I think what bothered me is that it looks like your little faun is either missing his thigh or his lower leg, which also causes him to have suuuper long feet. The faun's legs are basically humanized versions of goat legs, so when drawing them, you have to keep the anatomy of the goat leg in mind (the hooves are the toes, and what you might think is the leg is actually the foot!). Which is why I made two very crude sletches of goat legs (they're not super anatomocally correct tho), one side view and a front view, to help wrap your mind around it. I also sketched out the bone structure your faun has (left) and a more "accurate" version (right). (The lenght of the lower legs and feet can be altered of course, this is just how I tend to do anthro legs.) Here's how it would look with pants btw: [img]https://i.imgur.com/pOOEf0m.png[/img] The arms are also a bit weird, I think. Props to you for not just letting them dangle, btw! The only gripes I have is that they look a bit too ... uh ... noodly to me and that the elbows are a tiny bit too round. I also agree with @/Dragonartist24 about the shading. It's okay to blur the shadows of course, but I honestly wouldn't do it too much. I'd stick with rather hard edges, [i]especially[/i] with the drawing style you are using; it fits better than the soft, blurry edges. The other thing I wanted to mention is the background of the guardian piece. It was already mentioned that the background color is way roo similar to the dragon's colors. If you do decide to use a different background color, I'd suggest using a bright color! The dragon would stand out more and the contrasting background color makes the whole thing much more interesting to the eyes! That doesn't mean that dark backgrounds are taboo when drawing dark dragons, though - it always depends on what you want to draw! But for simple portraits, where the focus is on the dragon alone, I'd definitely stick with contrasting colors for the background. Everything else has been mentioned already, so here's somepositive things that I noticed: 1. I can see that your lineart is becoming better! It's still a bit wobbly, but it's definitely much better than it was in your earlier pieces! 2. I see that you're using lines with different thickness - very good! It makes the lineart that tad bit more interesting! 3. At least in some of your pieces, you colored the lineart to make it look more interesting. 4. I really like the way you color eyes! They look so full of life, it really gives the critters and humans you draw personality! 5. The faun's ears turned out really nice, and I love the little marking on his left shoulder. Very cute! Also, as an end note, it's completely fine to feel good about your drawings, even if they are riddled with mistakes. In fact, I think it's [i]super important[/i] to be happy - and proud! - about it! Imagine being disappointed by every piece of art you do - that would become very frustrating after a while. Honestly, if I only tried to be sceptical about all of my drawings, and only saw the bad things in them, I would have stopped drawing by now. Sure, it's important to see the mistakes, so that you can improve, but being happy about what you did well, and being happy about your improvement is [i]good[/i]. Hope I was able to help! :> [/color]
@Mintiani Whoops, I'm super late to the party! Sorry for that - I was super busy with uni and work this week and didn't really have the energy to do anything else than feeding my dragons. Most of the things I would have said were already mentioned, so I'm just gonna say a few things that I think weren't mentioned yet.

I'm gonna start with the faun (I think that's what it is, right?) - and more precisely, with his legs. I think they look a bit odd, as if something is missing, so I tried to replicate what you did to see what bothered me and then drew it the way I think it should look. Take it with a grain of salt, though, because it honestly might just be my personal preference. (Also, excuse my very messy photoshop sketches.)

yJEwAOi.png

Okay, to explain: I think what bothered me is that it looks like your little faun is either missing his thigh or his lower leg, which also causes him to have suuuper long feet. The faun's legs are basically humanized versions of goat legs, so when drawing them, you have to keep the anatomy of the goat leg in mind (the hooves are the toes, and what you might think is the leg is actually the foot!). Which is why I made two very crude sletches of goat legs (they're not super anatomocally correct tho), one side view and a front view, to help wrap your mind around it. I also sketched out the bone structure your faun has (left) and a more "accurate" version (right). (The lenght of the lower legs and feet can be altered of course, this is just how I tend to do anthro legs.) Here's how it would look with pants btw:

pOOEf0m.png

The arms are also a bit weird, I think. Props to you for not just letting them dangle, btw! The only gripes I have is that they look a bit too ... uh ... noodly to me and that the elbows are a tiny bit too round.

I also agree with @/Dragonartist24 about the shading. It's okay to blur the shadows of course, but I honestly wouldn't do it too much. I'd stick with rather hard edges, especially with the drawing style you are using; it fits better than the soft, blurry edges.

The other thing I wanted to mention is the background of the guardian piece. It was already mentioned that the background color is way roo similar to the dragon's colors. If you do decide to use a different background color, I'd suggest using a bright color! The dragon would stand out more and the contrasting background color makes the whole thing much more interesting to the eyes! That doesn't mean that dark backgrounds are taboo when drawing dark dragons, though - it always depends on what you want to draw! But for simple portraits, where the focus is on the dragon alone, I'd definitely stick with contrasting colors for the background.

Everything else has been mentioned already, so here's somepositive things that I noticed:

1. I can see that your lineart is becoming better! It's still a bit wobbly, but it's definitely much better than it was in your earlier pieces!
2. I see that you're using lines with different thickness - very good! It makes the lineart that tad bit more interesting!
3. At least in some of your pieces, you colored the lineart to make it look more interesting.
4. I really like the way you color eyes! They look so full of life, it really gives the critters and humans you draw personality!
5. The faun's ears turned out really nice, and I love the little marking on his left shoulder. Very cute!

Also, as an end note, it's completely fine to feel good about your drawings, even if they are riddled with mistakes. In fact, I think it's super important to be happy - and proud! - about it! Imagine being disappointed by every piece of art you do - that would become very frustrating after a while. Honestly, if I only tried to be sceptical about all of my drawings, and only saw the bad things in them, I would have stopped drawing by now. Sure, it's important to see the mistakes, so that you can improve, but being happy about what you did well, and being happy about your improvement is good.

Hope I was able to help! :>
iIrk1Wj.png
@Midgew @Kuroikari @digsie @SuperNinjaDragon @SunglassesArlo @coyotewest @MangoLlama @HyperionForge @Dragonartist24 @applejuice @Aetherna @thealchemist back again after an art block with a pony! looking mostly for tips on how to improve my shading effects! [img]https://i.imgur.com/4jnrIBq.png[/img]
@Midgew @Kuroikari @digsie @SuperNinjaDragon @SunglassesArlo @coyotewest @MangoLlama @HyperionForge @Dragonartist24 @applejuice @Aetherna @thealchemist

back again after an art block with a pony! looking mostly for tips on how to improve my shading effects!

4jnrIBq.png
@Mintiani
I've been so busy recently (still so busy now, that I can't provide critique/advice now, sorry!) but I just needed to say... Wow. Just wow. You've improved sooooo much. When I saw that artwork I had to look again because I can't believe the same artist made it! Love the pose, shading and colours!
Your initiative to get the help of others to continuously improve has made a big difference - I swear that in no time, you will become a pro!
Good on you! ;)
@Mintiani
I've been so busy recently (still so busy now, that I can't provide critique/advice now, sorry!) but I just needed to say... Wow. Just wow. You've improved sooooo much. When I saw that artwork I had to look again because I can't believe the same artist made it! Love the pose, shading and colours!
Your initiative to get the help of others to continuously improve has made a big difference - I swear that in no time, you will become a pro!
Good on you! ;)
tumblr_opn7kiKzTA1wnxxc9o1_100.pngfT9pA9Y.gifHW6ASYa.png07_SuperNinjaDragon.giftumblr_opn6d7mJiG1wnxxc9o1_100.png
whoa, you really are improving so fast that it's crazy

anyway, @Mintiani - I am aware that your art has been edited for this purpose in the past, but: do you mind if your art is edited so long as it's meant to show you a few tips you could use to improve it? Anything from redlines to full-on filtering to re-shading

Stay awesome!
whoa, you really are improving so fast that it's crazy

anyway, @Mintiani - I am aware that your art has been edited for this purpose in the past, but: do you mind if your art is edited so long as it's meant to show you a few tips you could use to improve it? Anything from redlines to full-on filtering to re-shading

Stay awesome!
goSc2L4.png eDIeknU.png Insta (updating)
1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17