Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Help a lil' struggling artist?
1 2
@Dragonett some thoughts. But first, to answer your question directly. 50kt for pencil drawing would be irresistible. I'd pay more if you cleaned out the bg, as high as 80kt, but that would be pushing me. Anyway...

1, link your store here as well, ppl might have useful feedback on that.

2, whenever you make a new bump, delete the old ones. It's not against the rules unless you use it to try and do more bumping than is allowed for that particular forum, and it helps keep your thread looking a bit cleaner, which can be appealing, esp, in a shop.

3, consider a price reduction of 20%-30% or so until people start buying. Once you have some purchasers under your belt, raise the price to where you are more comfortable with it. I for one don't like to buy from "unproven" shops. I like to see that when someone pays for a thing, or orders a thing, that they get it and all goes smoothly, so having purchases looks good. It's not that I think any artist is out to cheat me, I just know how I am, and I'm not the only one like me, it's easy to get behind to forget, to intend to but not... looking reliable is good.

4, all the advice you got on the discord was good advice. But i'd add that you don't need fancy banners to make your shop look good. I personally can't be bothered to put in the effort for such a thing and try to make stuff look as nice as I can with text alone. You can check out my adoptable shop and my hatcheries to see what I mean. The art shop was extraordinarily minimal and poor and got attention because it was pwyw. The skin shop - gasp does all the work in the skins forum.... But Presentation, super important. The most important.

5, list your samples near the prices in a way that indicates what sample goes with each price. I don't see any pencil sketches in your examples, and I'm not sure what I'd be getting if I gave you 80k and asked for a bust of my can leader for instance. What is a sketch and what is a refined pencil? I can't quite tell in the shop.

6, I'm really cheap, and I know it. I would pay you $5 for a pencil drawing... however, and this is stupid, but the human brain doesn't process numbers well because I wouldn't pay you more than 100kt for the same pencil drawing. See... I have real world income, but dragon world income? I have less of that. I'm not everyone though, so... *shrug* And $5 is too little money for the effort I know you put into your work. I can see it, I can tell... but that's what I'd be willing to part with.

7, I find centered text to be kind of tacky.
@Dragonett some thoughts. But first, to answer your question directly. 50kt for pencil drawing would be irresistible. I'd pay more if you cleaned out the bg, as high as 80kt, but that would be pushing me. Anyway...

1, link your store here as well, ppl might have useful feedback on that.

2, whenever you make a new bump, delete the old ones. It's not against the rules unless you use it to try and do more bumping than is allowed for that particular forum, and it helps keep your thread looking a bit cleaner, which can be appealing, esp, in a shop.

3, consider a price reduction of 20%-30% or so until people start buying. Once you have some purchasers under your belt, raise the price to where you are more comfortable with it. I for one don't like to buy from "unproven" shops. I like to see that when someone pays for a thing, or orders a thing, that they get it and all goes smoothly, so having purchases looks good. It's not that I think any artist is out to cheat me, I just know how I am, and I'm not the only one like me, it's easy to get behind to forget, to intend to but not... looking reliable is good.

4, all the advice you got on the discord was good advice. But i'd add that you don't need fancy banners to make your shop look good. I personally can't be bothered to put in the effort for such a thing and try to make stuff look as nice as I can with text alone. You can check out my adoptable shop and my hatcheries to see what I mean. The art shop was extraordinarily minimal and poor and got attention because it was pwyw. The skin shop - gasp does all the work in the skins forum.... But Presentation, super important. The most important.

5, list your samples near the prices in a way that indicates what sample goes with each price. I don't see any pencil sketches in your examples, and I'm not sure what I'd be getting if I gave you 80k and asked for a bust of my can leader for instance. What is a sketch and what is a refined pencil? I can't quite tell in the shop.

6, I'm really cheap, and I know it. I would pay you $5 for a pencil drawing... however, and this is stupid, but the human brain doesn't process numbers well because I wouldn't pay you more than 100kt for the same pencil drawing. See... I have real world income, but dragon world income? I have less of that. I'm not everyone though, so... *shrug* And $5 is too little money for the effort I know you put into your work. I can see it, I can tell... but that's what I'd be willing to part with.

7, I find centered text to be kind of tacky.
bird115702.gif Shops:
Visual Art
Accents
Lore Dragons
Bio Writing
dbatlo8-f76069b5-a213-48ac-a09d-7699704c12a9.png Lore & Projects:
Shade's Witness
Scarwind Fae Colony
Ichorus Line
[LF] Art
dbatlo8-f76069b5-a213-48ac-a09d-7699704c12a9.png Formerly @GennyWar
+3 FR Time
Hatchling Letters appreciated
My Pronouns are ~Braindead~ (any/all)

Minstri not Ministri (careful with Pings)
@Minstri @Above Clouds Thank you both for the indepth help ;v; currently I'm working on more dragon examples as suggested, and once I huave a few more of those I'll take another shot at the shop haha. (I did this in red ink on some.. weird... off-white paper I had. Not sure why, but hey it''s a start) [img]http://pre00.deviantart.net/6906/th/pre/i/2017/113/5/7/prowl_by_squiddikin-db6xso8.png[/img]
@Minstri @Above Clouds
Thank you both for the indepth help ;v; currently I'm working on more dragon examples as suggested, and once I huave a few more of those I'll take another shot at the shop haha.
(I did this in red ink on some.. weird... off-white paper I had. Not sure why, but hey it''s a start)
prowl_by_squiddikin-db6xso8.png
dragonilluminaticonfirmed.gif
Boop
Boop
dragonilluminaticonfirmed.gif
@Dragonett You seem to be getting some good advice on the other points, so I'll touch on one that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Personally, I love traditional art (especially watercolor) and highly prefer the look of it over digital, but I hardly ever buy it because it's such a gamble. With digital art, you can ask for corrections if something has been omitted or needs fixing, but with traditional art, what's done is done. Even if WIPs are provided, the traditional medium is very limited in what can actually be adjusted. I've had too many instances where an artist messed up something along the way and I was stuck paying for a piece I didn't like and could not get fixed. For example, I commissioned a fully rendered watercolor scene from an artist on this site - they did not provide a sketch preview or any sort of in-progress work for me to approve, and they ended up drawing my character in the entirely wrong type of clothing.

Buying traditional art is a gamble, and I won't even consider it unless the artist has a large portfolio of examples I can refer to. I will not commission traditional art, even in person, unless I am 100% sure the artist can accurately depict my character exactly as they should. Of course, there may be people who don't really care as much, but this is my experience.
@Dragonett You seem to be getting some good advice on the other points, so I'll touch on one that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Personally, I love traditional art (especially watercolor) and highly prefer the look of it over digital, but I hardly ever buy it because it's such a gamble. With digital art, you can ask for corrections if something has been omitted or needs fixing, but with traditional art, what's done is done. Even if WIPs are provided, the traditional medium is very limited in what can actually be adjusted. I've had too many instances where an artist messed up something along the way and I was stuck paying for a piece I didn't like and could not get fixed. For example, I commissioned a fully rendered watercolor scene from an artist on this site - they did not provide a sketch preview or any sort of in-progress work for me to approve, and they ended up drawing my character in the entirely wrong type of clothing.

Buying traditional art is a gamble, and I won't even consider it unless the artist has a large portfolio of examples I can refer to. I will not commission traditional art, even in person, unless I am 100% sure the artist can accurately depict my character exactly as they should. Of course, there may be people who don't really care as much, but this is my experience.
Can you animate, draw anthros/furries, or make music? ~ click here ~
Please copy/paste my username when pinging!

if9zLya.jpg
@Dragonett
I think the latest dragon you drew is really nice! I can't say how much i'd pay for it, because I'm pretty much inexperienced as you, but it's really gr8!
@Dragonett
I think the latest dragon you drew is really nice! I can't say how much i'd pay for it, because I'm pretty much inexperienced as you, but it's really gr8!
tjjhFkf.png
1 2