Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | So You Think You Can Write
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 186 187
@coyearth are you guys still doing this! It looks like a lot of fun! (:
@coyearth are you guys still doing this! It looks like a lot of fun! (:
tumblr_oixl5feVPi1u3wsjco1_250.png
@hoothootx3 Yeah, of course! I'm glad more people are interested! Like Tacodoodle says, it's fun when people are on at the same time, but when that isn't the case there's still a round going!
@hoothootx3 Yeah, of course! I'm glad more people are interested! Like Tacodoodle says, it's fun when people are on at the same time, but when that isn't the case there's still a round going!
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
~L. Frank Baum
@coyearth @Tacodoodle
Prompt: moving out
----
Cara heaved the last box into her trunk, just barely managing to cram it all in. She struggled to get the trunk door over everything, but in the end, it all somehow fit into her tiny car.

"Well, that's the last of it," her mother said, smiling sadly.

"Yup," Cara replied, for lack of anything else to say. What was there to say? Everything had already been said. Thrice.

"You'll come back to visit? Every weekend?" her mother asked. For the fourth time.

"Yes," Cara patiently said.

Her mother nodded approvingly, but they once again fell into silence. Shouldn't they be saying something? Shouldn't this be... different? Their last moment definitely should not be awkward.

"... Well, I suppose you should get going soon," her mother said, finally, after looking around uneasily.

"Yes," Cara said. Internally, she was relieved. The silence was making her antsy. She climbed into her car, her mother still waiting in the driveway. She paused, uncertain of what exactly to do. What she wanted to do was to just start the car and drive and get as far away as possible.

"I hope you have a good time, sweetie. You can call me, anytime, I'll be there. Be safe," her mother said. For the fourth time. Cara nodded. She smiled at her mother one last time.

Then she drove away.

To another town, far far away from her own. To her future.

----
[edited to add the pings and stuff]
@coyearth @Tacodoodle
Prompt: moving out
----
Cara heaved the last box into her trunk, just barely managing to cram it all in. She struggled to get the trunk door over everything, but in the end, it all somehow fit into her tiny car.

"Well, that's the last of it," her mother said, smiling sadly.

"Yup," Cara replied, for lack of anything else to say. What was there to say? Everything had already been said. Thrice.

"You'll come back to visit? Every weekend?" her mother asked. For the fourth time.

"Yes," Cara patiently said.

Her mother nodded approvingly, but they once again fell into silence. Shouldn't they be saying something? Shouldn't this be... different? Their last moment definitely should not be awkward.

"... Well, I suppose you should get going soon," her mother said, finally, after looking around uneasily.

"Yes," Cara said. Internally, she was relieved. The silence was making her antsy. She climbed into her car, her mother still waiting in the driveway. She paused, uncertain of what exactly to do. What she wanted to do was to just start the car and drive and get as far away as possible.

"I hope you have a good time, sweetie. You can call me, anytime, I'll be there. Be safe," her mother said. For the fourth time. Cara nodded. She smiled at her mother one last time.

Then she drove away.

To another town, far far away from her own. To her future.

----
[edited to add the pings and stuff]
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Bleeding Heart Crow she/her.xvi.gemini
Alright, @favvn yours is really sweet and I felt it in my soul. However, @Tacodoodle yours was...haha something else. I really liked it, so I'll go with Tacodoodle as the winner for this round. :)

@Kapara @Moonwater and @hoothootx3 feel free to do the next prompt with us!
Alright, @favvn yours is really sweet and I felt it in my soul. However, @Tacodoodle yours was...haha something else. I really liked it, so I'll go with Tacodoodle as the winner for this round. :)

@Kapara @Moonwater and @hoothootx3 feel free to do the next prompt with us!
~L. Frank Baum
aaaa congrats @Tacodoodle u really deserved it ^u^ (sorry, didn't read it till now bc i didnt know if it would count as cheating haha)

sorry for the late submission, by the way, was a little busy + distracted yesterday >.>

also eee new people im excite!!
aaaa congrats @Tacodoodle u really deserved it ^u^ (sorry, didn't read it till now bc i didnt know if it would count as cheating haha)

sorry for the late submission, by the way, was a little busy + distracted yesterday >.>

also eee new people im excite!!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Bleeding Heart Crow she/her.xvi.gemini
@favvn @coyearth
Thank you guys so much! :3 Favvn, your prompt was really good, I liked the cliffhanger ending!
@favvn @coyearth
Thank you guys so much! :3 Favvn, your prompt was really good, I liked the cliffhanger ending!
hdEgTfF.gif5caOtnS.gifTvGyETb.gif
@Kapara @coyearth @favvn @hoothootx3 @Moonwater

Ok, so prompt time! Just to recap: you have 10 minutes to write a story based around the judge's prompt. When you're done, make sure to ping at least the judge, and, if you want, check back periodically to read everyone else's stories! I'll judge them when everyone turns their stories in(unless otherwise notified), so please get them in soon. :D The winner becomes the next judge.

Aaaaand your prompt is: There's something glowing in the woods. Base your story around it!

Have fun!

@Kapara @coyearth @favvn @hoothootx3 @Moonwater

Ok, so prompt time! Just to recap: you have 10 minutes to write a story based around the judge's prompt. When you're done, make sure to ping at least the judge, and, if you want, check back periodically to read everyone else's stories! I'll judge them when everyone turns their stories in(unless otherwise notified), so please get them in soon. :D The winner becomes the next judge.

Aaaaand your prompt is: There's something glowing in the woods. Base your story around it!

Have fun!

hdEgTfF.gif5caOtnS.gifTvGyETb.gif
@tacodoodle Good morning~

Prompt: there something glowing in the woods

I don't care if anyone sees us right now. They should. That'd be good. Then my brother would be forced to leave, rather than cry and moan and lament his, our loss everyday.

This forest isn't ours anymore. I've accepted that long ago, when the beasts began silhouetting on the horizon. How many legends have we heard – we could've been here for generations, centuries. The woods could've been out home since before the first sapling sprung. The beasts always drive us out. It was only a matter of time…

But brother doesn't want to go. He's naive. Even his tears and wings are glowing with aer, that's how shaken he is.

"We have to go."

"NO!"

"You can't deny it, we have to go."

"How can you be so calm!" He half-roars, half-wails. "They are driving us out of our home!"

'How can I not love it!!' Something screams, something deep inside. But I reply "…we have to go, they'll kill us if they find us. We're no match for the beasts."

The dead silence of a dead forest. Slowly, ray by ray, brother stops glowing.

"I'm staying."

"Why?"

"Because I am."

I knew he would say that. I couldn't even fake surprise.

"…then…I'll stay with you."

He whips his head back at me.

"What!? Why!"

"Because, if I leave…this place won't be home…"

We take to the air. I follow his lead.
@tacodoodle Good morning~

Prompt: there something glowing in the woods

I don't care if anyone sees us right now. They should. That'd be good. Then my brother would be forced to leave, rather than cry and moan and lament his, our loss everyday.

This forest isn't ours anymore. I've accepted that long ago, when the beasts began silhouetting on the horizon. How many legends have we heard – we could've been here for generations, centuries. The woods could've been out home since before the first sapling sprung. The beasts always drive us out. It was only a matter of time…

But brother doesn't want to go. He's naive. Even his tears and wings are glowing with aer, that's how shaken he is.

"We have to go."

"NO!"

"You can't deny it, we have to go."

"How can you be so calm!" He half-roars, half-wails. "They are driving us out of our home!"

'How can I not love it!!' Something screams, something deep inside. But I reply "…we have to go, they'll kill us if they find us. We're no match for the beasts."

The dead silence of a dead forest. Slowly, ray by ray, brother stops glowing.

"I'm staying."

"Why?"

"Because I am."

I knew he would say that. I couldn't even fake surprise.

"…then…I'll stay with you."

He whips his head back at me.

"What!? Why!"

"Because, if I leave…this place won't be home…"

We take to the air. I follow his lead.
dNCLmdm.png
@Tacodoodle

They were walking. They had been for hours. The forest seemed endless, like no matter what direction the pair went, there would always be grass, shrubbery and trees. The last time either one of them had said anything was hours ago. They were growing tired. Neither talked about it, but how could they not? The last light of day had shown hours ago. Not that that mattered – in this part of the forest, not even the slightest bit of light could find a way through the many trees.
Then the taller one of the pair felt a tug on his sleeve. He had been lost in his thoughts, but his partner certainly hadn’t.
“Jay,” she whispered, “Jay, look over there.” She pointed in the distance.
“What are you talking about?” He frowned. He saw nothing but darkness.
“Right there! The light, it was right there, I swear!” There was fear in her voice. He wasn’t used to that. Sure, he came across fear often enough, but she wasn’t supposed to be scared. Anyone but her.
Then he heard a noise. It wasn’t much, but enough to catch both of their attention.
“Do you think it could be…” she didn’t really want to finish the sentence, but Jay nodded and took her hand.
“You can do this, we’ve done worse.”
Finally, a figure stepped forward, tall and slender. As they did, the pair took a step back.
“Who are you looking for, strangers?” a female voice said, but it didn’t sound like it came from the figure it front of them. It was wandering around them, sending shivers up their spines and setting the hairs in their necks upright, and the figure merely followed it. But when the boy spoke, both halted at once.
“We want to see Morena.”

I could write about this all day since it's got to do with my clan lore but I was out of minutes xd
Also it might be worth noting that English isn't actually my first language and it's a little over 11 over here, so yeah, have mercy. x)
@Tacodoodle

They were walking. They had been for hours. The forest seemed endless, like no matter what direction the pair went, there would always be grass, shrubbery and trees. The last time either one of them had said anything was hours ago. They were growing tired. Neither talked about it, but how could they not? The last light of day had shown hours ago. Not that that mattered – in this part of the forest, not even the slightest bit of light could find a way through the many trees.
Then the taller one of the pair felt a tug on his sleeve. He had been lost in his thoughts, but his partner certainly hadn’t.
“Jay,” she whispered, “Jay, look over there.” She pointed in the distance.
“What are you talking about?” He frowned. He saw nothing but darkness.
“Right there! The light, it was right there, I swear!” There was fear in her voice. He wasn’t used to that. Sure, he came across fear often enough, but she wasn’t supposed to be scared. Anyone but her.
Then he heard a noise. It wasn’t much, but enough to catch both of their attention.
“Do you think it could be…” she didn’t really want to finish the sentence, but Jay nodded and took her hand.
“You can do this, we’ve done worse.”
Finally, a figure stepped forward, tall and slender. As they did, the pair took a step back.
“Who are you looking for, strangers?” a female voice said, but it didn’t sound like it came from the figure it front of them. It was wandering around them, sending shivers up their spines and setting the hairs in their necks upright, and the figure merely followed it. But when the boy spoke, both halted at once.
“We want to see Morena.”

I could write about this all day since it's got to do with my clan lore but I was out of minutes xd
Also it might be worth noting that English isn't actually my first language and it's a little over 11 over here, so yeah, have mercy. x)
tumblr_oixl5feVPi1u3wsjco1_250.png
@Tacodoodle

Something woke me up. I wasn't sure what it was, but I was sweating. I stretched on the green grass as subtly as I could and closed my eyes. My hands itched to wipe at my brow, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I opened my eyes as much as I dared and peered around me.

Galena was next to me, laying on her side. She looked like she was sleeping, but I'm not sure if she needs sleep. Either way, she seemed undisturbed by whatever feeling woke me up. My eyes swept across the trees surrounding us and I saw Olvir under a large branch. It hung down over him with the same curve as his neck. His ear twitched, but other than that he remained asleep.

I kept looking and finally saw what must have alerted me. There was a glowing in the distance, past all of the sturdy trees. I tensed, my breath catching in my throat. Was it coming any nearer? Was it floating, or did it stem from the ground? I couldn't tell.

I reached out an arm to grip Galena's. She startled awake, as gracefully as one could startle awake. "What is it?" she hummed. "Is it time to go already?"

I shook my head and nodded at the glowing entity. My lips felt glued shut.

She followed my gaze and saw it. She tensed for only a moment before her eyes relaxed. A smile started on her face and my eyes widened in shock. "Ah, how wonderful," she crooned. "Come, we must go to it."

"W-what?" I finally spluttered. "Why? What is it?"

Her smile grew and she grasped my hand kindly. "Something that might be able to help us, if I'm right."

"And if you're wrong?" I demanded. I felt bold. I usually would never question her, but this feeling was just too much.

"Then I will take responsibility."

I didn't like the sound of that, but I grudgingly sat up.

(Edited to fix a typo.)
@Tacodoodle

Something woke me up. I wasn't sure what it was, but I was sweating. I stretched on the green grass as subtly as I could and closed my eyes. My hands itched to wipe at my brow, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I opened my eyes as much as I dared and peered around me.

Galena was next to me, laying on her side. She looked like she was sleeping, but I'm not sure if she needs sleep. Either way, she seemed undisturbed by whatever feeling woke me up. My eyes swept across the trees surrounding us and I saw Olvir under a large branch. It hung down over him with the same curve as his neck. His ear twitched, but other than that he remained asleep.

I kept looking and finally saw what must have alerted me. There was a glowing in the distance, past all of the sturdy trees. I tensed, my breath catching in my throat. Was it coming any nearer? Was it floating, or did it stem from the ground? I couldn't tell.

I reached out an arm to grip Galena's. She startled awake, as gracefully as one could startle awake. "What is it?" she hummed. "Is it time to go already?"

I shook my head and nodded at the glowing entity. My lips felt glued shut.

She followed my gaze and saw it. She tensed for only a moment before her eyes relaxed. A smile started on her face and my eyes widened in shock. "Ah, how wonderful," she crooned. "Come, we must go to it."

"W-what?" I finally spluttered. "Why? What is it?"

Her smile grew and she grasped my hand kindly. "Something that might be able to help us, if I'm right."

"And if you're wrong?" I demanded. I felt bold. I usually would never question her, but this feeling was just too much.

"Then I will take responsibility."

I didn't like the sound of that, but I grudgingly sat up.

(Edited to fix a typo.)
~L. Frank Baum
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 186 187