Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [BSJ] Artifact Recovery and Reassembly
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23 24
@Mycologist @Zenhugz @Egress @Haoang20082 @UserOfShadows @Naga @MagpieScholar

All of your entries have been recorded! Thank you so much for participating and for sharing your skills--I'm awed by (and laughing at) your entries!

UserOfShadows, could I request that you use a bit darker font if you plan on participating again? I understand your desire to use the gold font for Lindi, it's just a little difficult for me to read! (Which is not your fault, I just have some vision issues.)
@Mycologist @Zenhugz @Egress @Haoang20082 @UserOfShadows @Naga @MagpieScholar

All of your entries have been recorded! Thank you so much for participating and for sharing your skills--I'm awed by (and laughing at) your entries!

UserOfShadows, could I request that you use a bit darker font if you plan on participating again? I understand your desire to use the gold font for Lindi, it's just a little difficult for me to read! (Which is not your fault, I just have some vision issues.)
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=2447075] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/24471/2447075_350.png[/img] [/url] For a moment, Nera stood frozen, intimidated by the no-nonsense tone in Zap's voice and her apparent expectation that he would know what the chest's contents were supposed to be. He blinked at the Nocturne, then actually looked down into the chest, too intimidated to point out that he hadn't actually volunteered his assistance, and was just passing by and had happened to glance towards her stall ... What he saw inside, however, sent a jolt of excitement through him. "Oh, I've [i]read[/i] about this!" he cried in delight, undulating forwards and snatching a bleached leather satchel out of the chest - though despite his enthusiasm he handled it with as much care as he would any of his own fragile tablets and ancient papers. He moved aside some of the items displayed atop a flat-topped trunk nearby using his tail and then placed the leather satchel on top so that he could open the delicate clasp and open the flap. From inside, he first withdrew several pots of golden oil, which was glowing slightly with the last remnants of ancient Light magic. He examined them in fascination. "They would have used these to draw runes and magic circles on the floor of the chamber where the ceremony took place," he said, glancing up at Zap. "I could show you the symbols, if you like - I remember them from the tablets I translated! They're really quite complex. It was a summoning ritual, you see, used by the Exalted of the Lightweaver." He dived back into the satchel and pulled out a carved incense burner, the remains of a stick of incense still stuck in place. The pungent odour was too strong to be entirely pleasant and he wrinkled his nose as he put it down. "Ah, yes, the incense - so somewhere in here there must be ... yes! The fan!" He found the final piece of the ensemble and showed it to Zap: a fan of green feathers that had seen better days and was in danger of falling apart. Nera put it down before his claws did any more damage. "See, what they would do is - if they wanted to commune with their ancestors, or any spirits really. It might even have been used to talk to dragons who were far away? A way to summon the spirit of a living dragon who is far away, in a different part of Sornieth - but I'm not sure, that section of the tablets was damaged so it's a bit unclear. Anyway, it implied ancestors. So the Exalted would draw the right symbols and circles using the oil, which was imbued with Light magic," Nera said, pantomiming each action on the surface of the trunk as he spoke, "And then they would light the incense and use the fan to blow it into their faces so that they could inhale the smoke. Then the ancestors would come and enlighten them. According the tablets I translated, anyway. They came from the Hewn City, so they should be accurate. I can get my Clan to send you copies of my notes and translation abut the ceremony if you like?" He grinned at Zap, hoping that his translation skills could finally be of use - and hoping that his quick-fire explanation hadn't ended up being too fast for her to understand, as was often the case with members of his own Clan. --- Using these: [item=golden glow alchemist tools][item=yellow sludge][item=decorative feather fan][item=ancestral incense]

2447075_350.png

For a moment, Nera stood frozen, intimidated by the no-nonsense tone in Zap's voice and her apparent expectation that he would know what the chest's contents were supposed to be. He blinked at the Nocturne, then actually looked down into the chest, too intimidated to point out that he hadn't actually volunteered his assistance, and was just passing by and had happened to glance towards her stall ...

What he saw inside, however, sent a jolt of excitement through him.

"Oh, I've read about this!" he cried in delight, undulating forwards and snatching a bleached leather satchel out of the chest - though despite his enthusiasm he handled it with as much care as he would any of his own fragile tablets and ancient papers.

He moved aside some of the items displayed atop a flat-topped trunk nearby using his tail and then placed the leather satchel on top so that he could open the delicate clasp and open the flap. From inside, he first withdrew several pots of golden oil, which was glowing slightly with the last remnants of ancient Light magic. He examined them in fascination.

"They would have used these to draw runes and magic circles on the floor of the chamber where the ceremony took place," he said, glancing up at Zap. "I could show you the symbols, if you like - I remember them from the tablets I translated! They're really quite complex. It was a summoning ritual, you see, used by the Exalted of the Lightweaver."

He dived back into the satchel and pulled out a carved incense burner, the remains of a stick of incense still stuck in place. The pungent odour was too strong to be entirely pleasant and he wrinkled his nose as he put it down.

"Ah, yes, the incense - so somewhere in here there must be ... yes! The fan!"

He found the final piece of the ensemble and showed it to Zap: a fan of green feathers that had seen better days and was in danger of falling apart. Nera put it down before his claws did any more damage.

"See, what they would do is - if they wanted to commune with their ancestors, or any spirits really. It might even have been used to talk to dragons who were far away? A way to summon the spirit of a living dragon who is far away, in a different part of Sornieth - but I'm not sure, that section of the tablets was damaged so it's a bit unclear. Anyway, it implied ancestors. So the Exalted would draw the right symbols and circles using the oil, which was imbued with Light magic," Nera said, pantomiming each action on the surface of the trunk as he spoke, "And then they would light the incense and use the fan to blow it into their faces so that they could inhale the smoke. Then the ancestors would come and enlighten them. According the tablets I translated, anyway. They came from the Hewn City, so they should be accurate. I can get my Clan to send you copies of my notes and translation abut the ceremony if you like?"

He grinned at Zap, hoping that his translation skills could finally be of use - and hoping that his quick-fire explanation hadn't ended up being too fast for her to understand, as was often the case with members of his own Clan.

---

Using these:
Golden Glow Alchemist Tools Yellow Sludge Decorative Feather Fan Ancestral Incense
A two-toned pink eight-pointed compass rose with the Arcane symbol at the centre, with the word 'adept' hand-written in front of the downwards point
The Spire, home of the Lundlaevungar: a crystal island shaped like an inverted mountain floating above the sea in a yellow sky
The Pirate Trials button, linking to the thread: a pink pearl with subtle gold sparkles, with 'The Pirate Trials' handwritten in front; the P is an eye patch with a skull on it Arcane Badge depicting the Oculus of the Eleven
Clan Lore

Exalted Dragons

FR+8

they/them
[quote][center][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/map/icons/light_2.png[/img] [img]http://66.media.tumblr.com/d1738336ed45f9488b29b994dd246d63/tumblr_o1zrsv44JN1ufdm5xo2_400.png[/img] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/equipment/16235.png[/img][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/trinket/1899.png[/img][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/trinket/9838.png[/img][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/trinket/15294.png[/img][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/trinket/1148.png[/img][/center] [i]The pursuit of knowledge may be one of two things; awe-inspiring and fantastical, urging young scholars to proceed for the good of all, or woefully selfish, done only for political gain. The story of the Hewn City is an odd one. Certainly it befuddles many a scholar. From whence did this blight in the light goddess' land come from? What happened that caused her to cast her light away and leave it an an abysmal state? The Hewn City is a shining (metaphorically, of course) example of the pursuit of knowledge poisoned. Once a utopia, a gleaming beacon of learning, dark studies and pursuit of forbidden knowledge sank into the roots of the city. One particularly dangerous inquiry was an attempt by dragons to harness the power of the Tidelord. It was well known to all that dragons with oceans rippling in their eyes could foresee the future. In an incredibly disheartening turn of events, they refused to divulge what they saw. To those who dedicated their lives to knowledge, this could not stand. The ritual took place at dying light. Some say it was done only then to hide from the Lightweaver. It always included one pure arcane dragon, i.e, a fae (typically male, to reflect the arcanist) born and blossomed in the Starfall Isles. The rest of the dragons present mattered not. Most ritual groups shied away from water dragons. Their fear of the Tidelord realizing their on goings and striking them down was too great. Because the arcane dragon was the only one able to understand the odd runes that floated in the depths of the crystal ball, he or she was responsible for bringing it. All other dragons involved were required to make a sacrifice for a glimpse into the future. They carried their chosen sacrifice in a pure white alchemist bag, off of which hung bottles filled with yellow sludge. These bags marked them as part of the rituals. The crystal ball was set over a cauldron, and incense was lit and filled the room with a thick, musky perfume. The offering dragons would cover their sacrifice in yellow sludge; yellow, it was said, as an apology to the Lightweaver. The sludge's purpose was to protect the sacrificial item in the boiling stew long enough that, according to the Arcane dragon, the deity they called upon (later known as the Shade) could decide whether or not it found it acceptable. One by one, each dragon put their sacrifice in the cauldron and peered into the crystal ball's depths. The arcane dragon then took the ball, brought the dragon into a side room, and explained it's meaning. Some dragons found joy. Others, horror. The truly unlucky (though to be said, the most common outcome) simply went insane. One by one, until the ritual was done. Many dragons never came out of these rituals the same. The arcane translator almost always came out shade-touched; dark, dreary, and destructive. Slowly but surely, dragons realized that the future is often better left unknown for those who are not gifted to naturally see it. As for the feathers often found on ritual sites? Well, the going theory is faes should perhaps consider their monotone nature when speaking. After all, saying, "Sure, wear a feather hat and dance around the cauldron." may cause some sarcasm to be lost in translation.[/i][/quote]
Quote:
light_2.png

tumblr_o1zrsv44JN1ufdm5xo2_400.png

16235.png1899.png9838.png15294.png1148.png

The pursuit of knowledge may be one of two things; awe-inspiring and fantastical, urging young scholars to proceed for the good of all, or woefully selfish, done only for political gain.
The story of the Hewn City is an odd one. Certainly it befuddles many a scholar. From whence did this blight in the light goddess' land come from? What happened that caused her to cast her light away and leave it an an abysmal state?
The Hewn City is a shining (metaphorically, of course) example of the pursuit of knowledge poisoned. Once a utopia, a gleaming beacon of learning, dark studies and pursuit of forbidden knowledge sank into the roots of the city. One particularly dangerous inquiry was an attempt by dragons to harness the power of the Tidelord.
It was well known to all that dragons with oceans rippling in their eyes could foresee the future. In an incredibly disheartening turn of events, they refused to divulge what they saw. To those who dedicated their lives to knowledge, this could not stand.
The ritual took place at dying light. Some say it was done only then to hide from the Lightweaver. It always included one pure arcane dragon, i.e, a fae (typically male, to reflect the arcanist) born and blossomed in the Starfall Isles. The rest of the dragons present mattered not. Most ritual groups shied away from water dragons. Their fear of the Tidelord realizing their on goings and striking them down was too great.
Because the arcane dragon was the only one able to understand the odd runes that floated in the depths of the crystal ball, he or she was responsible for bringing it. All other dragons involved were required to make a sacrifice for a glimpse into the future. They carried their chosen sacrifice in a pure white alchemist bag, off of which hung bottles filled with yellow sludge. These bags marked them as part of the rituals.
The crystal ball was set over a cauldron, and incense was lit and filled the room with a thick, musky perfume. The offering dragons would cover their sacrifice in yellow sludge; yellow, it was said, as an apology to the Lightweaver. The sludge's purpose was to protect the sacrificial item in the boiling stew long enough that, according to the Arcane dragon, the deity they called upon (later known as the Shade) could decide whether or not it found it acceptable.
One by one, each dragon put their sacrifice in the cauldron and peered into the crystal ball's depths. The arcane dragon then took the ball, brought the dragon into a side room, and explained it's meaning. Some dragons found joy. Others, horror. The truly unlucky (though to be said, the most common outcome) simply went insane. One by one, until the ritual was done.
Many dragons never came out of these rituals the same. The arcane translator almost always came out shade-touched; dark, dreary, and destructive. Slowly but surely, dragons realized that the future is often better left unknown for those who are not gifted to naturally see it.
As for the feathers often found on ritual sites? Well, the going theory is faes should perhaps consider their monotone nature when speaking. After all, saying, "Sure, wear a feather hat and dance around the cauldron." may cause some sarcasm to be lost in translation.
je67dzK.gif ...
Val + she/her + fr+3
talk to me about hozier

7zrgo5F.png
@Vely Am I allowed to take pieces from the item itself and draw something? Or do I have to combine all of the the time? Such as, could I take just the glowing orbs from the tools as part of my piece?
@Vely Am I allowed to take pieces from the item itself and draw something? Or do I have to combine all of the the time? Such as, could I take just the glowing orbs from the tools as part of my piece?
@Harmonywish

As long as it is related to the prompt, you can do it. You don't need to use the entire item, nor are you required to use all the items. You can say that your dragon removes the orbs from the satchel, or you can pretend the satchel wasn't there at all. With an art piece, so long as it at least vaguely resembles part of one of the items, you're good.

So, short answer: Yes.
@Harmonywish

As long as it is related to the prompt, you can do it. You don't need to use the entire item, nor are you required to use all the items. You can say that your dragon removes the orbs from the satchel, or you can pretend the satchel wasn't there at all. With an art piece, so long as it at least vaguely resembles part of one of the items, you're good.

So, short answer: Yes.
@Vely Ok! Can I draw a model, if it's a clothing item?
@Vely Ok! Can I draw a model, if it's a clothing item?
@Harmonywish

You certainly may! You can also use official FR art for models if you'd like to save time or something.
@Harmonywish

You certainly may! You can also use official FR art for models if you'd like to save time or something.
@Vely Ok! And is color needed? :> Thank you for you help >w<
@Vely Ok! And is color needed? :> Thank you for you help >w<
[center][img]http://i.imgur.com/ItA7jeS.png[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/7pjLh0d.png[/img] [b]Herne & Haiku[/b][/center] Ignoring the Nocturne's unfriendly tone, Haiku quickly starts to investigate the ancient bag and feathers, her expression slowly growing surprised. "Herne, what do you think of this?" Her companion, a white Coatl, seemingly having been daydreaming, turns his head in surprise. "What a beautiful bag! May I try it one? It's for sale, isn't it?" "You can't! It's an ancient artifact and we're here to analyze its former purpose!" Noticing Zap's growing impatience, Haiku turns towards them with a smile. "Well, it looks like, indeed, this is a very, very old bag. I'm quite surprised you found it in such a good condition! After having a proper look at it, we suspect it belonged to a healer or a mage. The bottles attached to it seem to have been used to carry some sort of potion. They are light and easy to bring along on an adventure. As for the yellow sludge-" "It's acid!", Herne suddenly says. "oh and those feathers- they were used to replace, well, feathers that dragons lost because of it. There's some hair left here- and here, see?" Haiku, obviously surprised, listens to her usually useless companion. She herself wasn't sure what those feathers might have been for. "Just as Herne said, this is [i]clearly[/i] acid and without a doubt, those feathers were used to replace lost fur."
ItA7jeS.png 7pjLh0d.png
Herne & Haiku

Ignoring the Nocturne's unfriendly tone, Haiku quickly starts to investigate the ancient bag and feathers, her expression slowly growing surprised.

"Herne, what do you think of this?"
Her companion, a white Coatl, seemingly having been daydreaming, turns his head in surprise. "What a beautiful bag! May I try it one? It's for sale, isn't it?"
"You can't! It's an ancient artifact and we're here to analyze its former purpose!"

Noticing Zap's growing impatience, Haiku turns towards them with a smile.

"Well, it looks like, indeed, this is a very, very old bag. I'm quite surprised you found it in such a good condition! After having a proper look at it, we suspect it belonged to a healer or a mage. The bottles attached to it seem to have been used to carry some sort of potion. They are light and easy to bring along on an adventure. As for the yellow sludge-"
"It's acid!", Herne suddenly says. "oh and those feathers- they were used to replace, well, feathers that dragons lost because of it. There's some hair left here- and here, see?"

Haiku, obviously surprised, listens to her usually useless companion. She herself wasn't sure what those feathers might have been for. "Just as Herne said, this is clearly acid and without a doubt, those feathers were used to replace lost fur."
8zV4IMd.pngk2tbrDz.pngg8YR7Kz.png
@Vely here's my entry! I typed this up on my phone, I'll proof it when I get home today. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=24267339] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/242674/24267339_350.png[/img] [/url] Lirmada was wandering the docks at the port city of the sunbeam ruins that she had just arrived at. Her eyes were gleaming almost as much as the city was. This was nothing like the cave she called her home, back at the border between Plague and Earth territory. Never before had she seen so many dragons all in one place, all hustling and bustling every which way. Tourists, locals, adventurers, all going about their business, preparing for the festival. She was shaken from her awe when a massive imperial budged past her. Knocked off of her balance a bit, she stumbled sideways and nearly trampled a Fae. After he gave her a few "choice words" he fluttered away in a huff. Lirmada, embarrassed, wandered away a bit from where most of the dragons were. Suddenly, a small stand caught her eye. A bored looking Nocturne was rythmicly clicking their claws on some strange orb. Lirmada tilted her head and approached. The Nocturne soon saw her as well, and ushered her over, looking for her opinion on some strange artifacts. "Uhhh.. Yes yes, of course I know what this is." Lirmada stuttered. In reality, Lirmada didn't really know much about science and history. She was still quite young. But the Nocturne was looking at her expectantly now, and she'd already dug her hole. "Yes, indeed. Clearly this is.. Uhh.." she picked up the satchel with the glowing orbs attatched. One of which was cracked, and leaking some strange luminecent yellow fluid. She flipped open the bag, and quickly shut it again once a larger orb covered in runes tried to float out. Fortunately it had been open long enough for her to see the feathers and incense inside as well. "Obviously this bag belonged to some wise Light shaman dragon. They probably used it for rituals and such." Lirmada nodded sagely "What kind of rituals?" The Nocturne sighed. Lirmada had a feeling this dragon knew that she was pulling this out of her tail. "Uhhh, rituals to.. Commune with lightbringer?? No, commune with their ancestors. Wait wait no, healing rituals. All of the above?" The Nocturne pulled out a scroll and writing quill and began scratching in what Lirmada had proposed. "Thank you for your... Helpful input. Please wait now, I have more items that need appraisal." Lirmada sat and curled her tail around her toes. She had a feeling she would be here for a while.
@Vely here's my entry! I typed this up on my phone, I'll proof it when I get home today.

24267339_350.png

Lirmada was wandering the docks at the port city of the sunbeam ruins that she had just arrived at. Her eyes were gleaming almost as much as the city was. This was nothing like the cave she called her home, back at the border between Plague and Earth territory. Never before had she seen so many dragons all in one place, all hustling and bustling every which way. Tourists, locals, adventurers, all going about their business, preparing for the festival.

She was shaken from her awe when a massive imperial budged past her. Knocked off of her balance a bit, she stumbled sideways and nearly trampled a Fae. After he gave her a few "choice words" he fluttered away in a huff. Lirmada, embarrassed, wandered away a bit from where most of the dragons were. Suddenly, a small stand caught her eye. A bored looking Nocturne was rythmicly clicking their claws on some strange orb. Lirmada tilted her head and approached. The Nocturne soon saw her as well, and ushered her over, looking for her opinion on some strange artifacts.

"Uhhh.. Yes yes, of course I know what this is." Lirmada stuttered. In reality, Lirmada didn't really know much about science and history. She was still quite young. But the Nocturne was looking at her expectantly now, and she'd already dug her hole.

"Yes, indeed. Clearly this is.. Uhh.." she picked up the satchel with the glowing orbs attatched. One of which was cracked, and leaking some strange luminecent yellow fluid. She flipped open the bag, and quickly shut it again once a larger orb covered in runes tried to float out. Fortunately it had been open long enough for her to see the feathers and incense inside as well.

"Obviously this bag belonged to some wise Light shaman dragon. They probably used it for rituals and such." Lirmada nodded sagely

"What kind of rituals?" The Nocturne sighed. Lirmada had a feeling this dragon knew that she was pulling this out of her tail.

"Uhhh, rituals to.. Commune with lightbringer?? No, commune with their ancestors. Wait wait no, healing rituals. All of the above?"

The Nocturne pulled out a scroll and writing quill and began scratching in what Lirmada had proposed. "Thank you for your... Helpful input. Please wait now, I have more items that need appraisal."

Lirmada sat and curled her tail around her toes. She had a feeling she would be here for a while.
5VAXjaj.pngFFpBIKI.pngjKoaviz.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23 24