Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Common Draconic [A Conlang Project]
1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 38 39
@Pachirisu
Dont, :P me missy!
@Pachirisu
Dont, :P me missy!
vpNQaZP.pngRupeeWaterX2.gifWZ3H2YX.pngnAoSSfC.pnga8e4wzd.png
@StarriannaFlare

Ah sorry! Fixed!
@StarriannaFlare

Ah sorry! Fixed!
QQzuQIK.pngdF1rw1e.png
7I3clLF.pngWn7rTGB.png
sWI3AkK.pngXVIZS1P.png
@Banjo
No worries! I've been told repeatedly that my name is hard to spell. XD
Thank you, though! <3
@Banjo
No worries! I've been told repeatedly that my name is hard to spell. XD
Thank you, though! <3
tihutbH.png
lAvpyOQ.png

ZwbGqUa.png

rPaLIxa.png

J7D1quC.png

FObX7rS.png

YMPbu9R.png
53e090906bf1abf526e496f785950d62fc9cfa93.png
Aw maaaan, this is so cool. Like. Amazingly cool. I'm DEFINITELY going to use this somewhere in my lore! And maybe learn it! Definitely learn it! Gonna be bilingual in a dragon language.
Aw maaaan, this is so cool. Like. Amazingly cool. I'm DEFINITELY going to use this somewhere in my lore! And maybe learn it! Definitely learn it! Gonna be bilingual in a dragon language.
dungeon master
@Pachirisu @Aftershock @Hesper @QwertyBird @Surpirate @bakurabox @dreamtime @Phooka @Merethic @momoi @Kes @StarriannaFlare @logicalDiviner @Pieks @Whimzica @sh33pskin @bellzan @RottingFlesh @mnkn10 @princesscassie @paigyp01 @Gowenna @isolte @MagicianPokes @MythicStarfall @Iochsi @adrienne1614 @Abysea @Katta @mattykips @FelicisNox177 @Cosmopoeia

This is a lore post based on the conlang for which I hijacked the pinglist! I'll be making these every once in a while for those who are interested. If you're on the conlang pinglist, but not interested, let me know and I won't ping you for them. Also let me know if you're not on the conlang pinglist and are interested!

Now without further complication

DRACONIC NONSENSE #01: GUARDIAN TITLES

Every Guardian in Sornieth who has come of age carries a title which accompanies their name.

A guardian who have just begun his search is called Yevaun. This means “Searching.”

When their charge is found, they become a Yerlan, a “residing or settling.” they will remain a Yerlan until the passing of the next festival. In more traditional cultures (Earth, Ice, Nature etc) , this period lasts until the guardian finds a permanent home with his charge. This can take a matter of minutes or a matter of years. More progressive flights (Wind, Arcane, Lightning,) follow the festival rule.

Once this time is over, the guardian becomes a Sulan, or “settled”. Most guardians remain Sulanal for the rest of their lives.

In the event that a charge is somehow lost, the title changes to Suvaun, or “searched.”

In formal situations, it is rude not to address a guardian with their title unless, of course, the guardian is a Suvaun
@Pachirisu @Aftershock @Hesper @QwertyBird @Surpirate @bakurabox @dreamtime @Phooka @Merethic @momoi @Kes @StarriannaFlare @logicalDiviner @Pieks @Whimzica @sh33pskin @bellzan @RottingFlesh @mnkn10 @princesscassie @paigyp01 @Gowenna @isolte @MagicianPokes @MythicStarfall @Iochsi @adrienne1614 @Abysea @Katta @mattykips @FelicisNox177 @Cosmopoeia

This is a lore post based on the conlang for which I hijacked the pinglist! I'll be making these every once in a while for those who are interested. If you're on the conlang pinglist, but not interested, let me know and I won't ping you for them. Also let me know if you're not on the conlang pinglist and are interested!

Now without further complication

DRACONIC NONSENSE #01: GUARDIAN TITLES

Every Guardian in Sornieth who has come of age carries a title which accompanies their name.

A guardian who have just begun his search is called Yevaun. This means “Searching.”

When their charge is found, they become a Yerlan, a “residing or settling.” they will remain a Yerlan until the passing of the next festival. In more traditional cultures (Earth, Ice, Nature etc) , this period lasts until the guardian finds a permanent home with his charge. This can take a matter of minutes or a matter of years. More progressive flights (Wind, Arcane, Lightning,) follow the festival rule.

Once this time is over, the guardian becomes a Sulan, or “settled”. Most guardians remain Sulanal for the rest of their lives.

In the event that a charge is somehow lost, the title changes to Suvaun, or “searched.”

In formal situations, it is rude not to address a guardian with their title unless, of course, the guardian is a Suvaun
sig_top2_by_soenkan-dbx7qvx.gif
sig_buttons_m_by_soenkan-dbx7qwu.gifsig_buttons_a_by_soenkan-dbx7qx6.gifsig_buttons_w_by_soenkan-dbx7qw5.gifsig_buttons_t2_by_soenkan-dbx7qwp.gifsig_buttons_u_by_soenkan-dbx7qwd.gif
I like it!
I like it!
vpNQaZP.pngRupeeWaterX2.gifWZ3H2YX.pngnAoSSfC.pnga8e4wzd.png
Ooh, that's interesting. I like that. I may use that nifty little bit of lore for my guardians.
Ooh, that's interesting. I like that. I may use that nifty little bit of lore for my guardians.
unknown.png
Coli Grinding Services
Current goal: ???: ???/??? saved (0/1 obtained)
this is brilliant stuff! :D
this is brilliant stuff! :D
tumblr_nypuavqh4z1tdfiqoo3_100.png 11efmKl.pngJuaytuP.pngmjtJ868.png
hWPjBUy.pngdT9HQge.pngXAx6hs9.png
Clan Cloud Brush
CB/Cuddles/Bunny; 20s, F, SEA
LuYynDz.png
This felt like too much to say in Discord Chat, lol. ^_^' @Llanai I'm going through the old "Weekly Q&A" threads, looking for hints on site lore, especially for the timetable thing to help with the numbers, but I haven't found it yet. I did find this though: [quote name="Aequorin"]Earth, air, water, and fire dragons each have a name that they will call the world, as they feel that their patrons had the greatest hands in their creation. However, the neutral term used in inter flight discussion tends to be "Sornieth" which is draconic for "our planet".[/quote] Should all those different names be in the Dictionary? @Banjo I found that thread I was talking about, with the moons. [quote name="Saccharine"] A note: I don't particularly like using real-life dates such as "August 25th" when it comes to a fantasy world like this. So for now I'm making a headcanon that dragons divide their year into cycles of the moon (well, okay, months), named after the elemental holiday that takes place in it (or lack thereof, when it comes to December), and don't bother with days of the week. If I find out that there's a legitimate lore for the site that explains a Sornieth calendar, I might adapt to that. [/quote] A couple other people used their idea for the calendar moons too, but they use different names than the OP used, like I did, since the whole list wasn't up yet when we talked about it. So, maybe the specific names vary by region? Like the time around Trickmurk Circus might be called Dark Moon, Trick Moon, or Shadow Moon, or the time around Riot of Rot might be called the Rotting Moon or the Plague Moon, based on which name a specific clan/flight/region decides to use. ---- Also, according to the Wiki, Sornieth has 2 moons(haven't checked all the links yet), so the time of the festivals might be decided by their positions in the sky, and maybe that's why the dates for the festivals aren't constant.
This felt like too much to say in Discord Chat, lol. ^_^'

@Llanai
I'm going through the old "Weekly Q&A" threads, looking for hints on site lore, especially for the timetable thing to help with the numbers, but I haven't found it yet. I did find this though:
Aequorin wrote:
Earth, air, water, and fire dragons each have a name that they will call the world, as they feel that their patrons had the greatest hands in their creation. However, the neutral term used in inter flight discussion tends to be "Sornieth" which is draconic for "our planet".
Should all those different names be in the Dictionary?

@Banjo
I found that thread I was talking about, with the moons.
Saccharine wrote:
A note: I don't particularly like using real-life dates such as "August 25th" when it comes to a fantasy world like this. So for now I'm making a headcanon that dragons divide their year into cycles of the moon (well, okay, months), named after the elemental holiday that takes place in it (or lack thereof, when it comes to December), and don't bother with days of the week. If I find out that there's a legitimate lore for the site that explains a Sornieth calendar, I might adapt to that.
A couple other people used their idea for the calendar moons too, but they use different names than the OP used, like I did, since the whole list wasn't up yet when we talked about it.

So, maybe the specific names vary by region?
Like the time around Trickmurk Circus might be called Dark Moon, Trick Moon, or Shadow Moon, or the time around Riot of Rot might be called the Rotting Moon or the Plague Moon, based on which name a specific clan/flight/region decides to use.

----
Also, according to the Wiki, Sornieth has 2 moons(haven't checked all the links yet), so the time of the festivals might be decided by their positions in the sky, and maybe that's why the dates for the festivals aren't constant.
tihutbH.png
lAvpyOQ.png

ZwbGqUa.png

rPaLIxa.png

J7D1quC.png

FObX7rS.png

YMPbu9R.png
53e090906bf1abf526e496f785950d62fc9cfa93.png
Oh this is officially the hypest thing I have ever seen on this site. For funsies, I translated the first stanza of Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken" into Ursegal!...with some creative liberties, because vocabulary restraints, but also because every language has its own devices for sounding poetic, and I get the feeling that emphasizing actions taken is a strong way to build a mental picture in this very verb-focused language. A few words are missing, but that's aaaaaaall gooooood My translation: [quote][i]Sudhel Iotebal ka nihent et Mondura siyeh voy[/i] [i]Sudhelran keffit;[/i] [indent][i]kav vensu vanderan Balotekal ka, kav vensu vanderan Risdag ur[/i][/indent] [i]Sudhelran yebval et Vacond yaltag yakkur, sudhelran yesehk Alde Ocerev aste pekav,[/i] [indent][i]ta Iote ur pekav, ta Pujut pekav, ta Reoj pekav.[/i][/indent][/quote] The original text: [quote][i]Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, And sorry I could not travel both And be one traveler, long I stood And looked down one as far as I could To where it bent in the undergrowth;[/i][/quote] And the gloss I used: [quote]Were paths two joined-together a forest yellow in Was-I [sorry/sad]; [indent]not could-travel-I footpaths [two/both], not could-travel-I journey one[/indent] Was-standing-I an [interval/time] long through, was-looking-I end sight of toward, [indent]Road [single/one] toward, the curve toward, the undergrowth toward.[/indent][/quote] Notes: [s]- There's a space in the dictionary for "footpath", and that word would probably be more fitting than "Iote" (general "path"), but this will do for now.[/s] - "keffit" is just "sad", and similarly, a word or phrase closer to "sorry/regretful" would be better but it works. - "not could-travel-I [journey] one" jumped to mind as a way to gloss "sorry I could not [...] be one traveler", because it got across what that sentence was actually saying while putting emphasis on the [i]act[/i] of traveling the way Ursegal lends itself to doing, [s]BUT what I would [i]actually[/i] love to do with that sentence is use the word for "footpath" when saying "there were two roads, I couldn't travel two roads" and then use the general word for "path" for the followup "I couldn't travel one path". It takes the original sentence and turns it into kind of a metaphor hanging over the translated sentence, but the parallelism of "I could not travel two footpaths, I could not travel one (metaphorical) path" is tantalizing.[/s] - Fixed! What's going on there now is that the poem opens with "Iotebal" - generic "path" - and then the third and fourth lines split that image into two, expressing that the writer is sad because they cannot travel two physical footpaths (Balotekal), and therefore cannot have them both within one journey (Risdag), or metaphorical "life-walk". - [s]The concept of doing something "for a long time" is something that there's so many ways to handle grammatically that I just held off on trying to cobble a phrase together because there might be a specific adverb for that.[/s] - "Vacond yaltag" was provided as a phrase to use - "Vacond" for "time" in the sense of an interval or period of time, and "yaltag" being long. I used "yakkur" ("through") for the prepositional to avoid writing an English cipher. - I completely retooled that bit of imagery at the end because I feel like lots of prepositional phrases adding details upon each other is a cool poetic style that works nicely with Ursegal's grammar. Like painting a picture with strong, dramatic strokes that give you an impressionistic effect instead of painting with a tiny brush in clinical detail. That's why the indents are there, to make it obvious where there's imagery/description by way of parallel prepositional phrases. - "end sight of" is a fun way to gloss the concept of "the horizon/vanishing point/point at which your vision is blocked by something". - idefk what to do with punctuation man @Banjo @Llanai
Oh this is officially the hypest thing I have ever seen on this site.

For funsies, I translated the first stanza of Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken" into Ursegal!...with some creative liberties, because vocabulary restraints, but also because every language has its own devices for sounding poetic, and I get the feeling that emphasizing actions taken is a strong way to build a mental picture in this very verb-focused language.

A few words are missing, but that's aaaaaaall gooooood

My translation:
Quote:
Sudhel Iotebal ka nihent et Mondura siyeh voy
Sudhelran keffit;
kav vensu vanderan Balotekal ka,
kav vensu vanderan Risdag ur
Sudhelran yebval et Vacond yaltag yakkur, sudhelran yesehk Alde Ocerev aste pekav,
ta Iote ur pekav,
ta Pujut pekav,
ta Reoj pekav.

The original text:
Quote:
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

And the gloss I used:
Quote:
Were paths two joined-together a forest yellow in
Was-I [sorry/sad];
not could-travel-I footpaths [two/both],
not could-travel-I journey one
Was-standing-I an [interval/time] long through, was-looking-I end sight of toward,
Road [single/one] toward,
the curve toward,
the undergrowth toward.

Notes:
- There's a space in the dictionary for "footpath", and that word would probably be more fitting than "Iote" (general "path"), but this will do for now.
- "keffit" is just "sad", and similarly, a word or phrase closer to "sorry/regretful" would be better but it works.
- "not could-travel-I [journey] one" jumped to mind as a way to gloss "sorry I could not [...] be one traveler", because it got across what that sentence was actually saying while putting emphasis on the act of traveling the way Ursegal lends itself to doing, BUT what I would actually love to do with that sentence is use the word for "footpath" when saying "there were two roads, I couldn't travel two roads" and then use the general word for "path" for the followup "I couldn't travel one path". It takes the original sentence and turns it into kind of a metaphor hanging over the translated sentence, but the parallelism of "I could not travel two footpaths, I could not travel one (metaphorical) path" is tantalizing.
- Fixed! What's going on there now is that the poem opens with "Iotebal" - generic "path" - and then the third and fourth lines split that image into two, expressing that the writer is sad because they cannot travel two physical footpaths (Balotekal), and therefore cannot have them both within one journey (Risdag), or metaphorical "life-walk".
- The concept of doing something "for a long time" is something that there's so many ways to handle grammatically that I just held off on trying to cobble a phrase together because there might be a specific adverb for that.
- "Vacond yaltag" was provided as a phrase to use - "Vacond" for "time" in the sense of an interval or period of time, and "yaltag" being long. I used "yakkur" ("through") for the prepositional to avoid writing an English cipher.
- I completely retooled that bit of imagery at the end because I feel like lots of prepositional phrases adding details upon each other is a cool poetic style that works nicely with Ursegal's grammar. Like painting a picture with strong, dramatic strokes that give you an impressionistic effect instead of painting with a tiny brush in clinical detail. That's why the indents are there, to make it obvious where there's imagery/description by way of parallel prepositional phrases.
- "end sight of" is a fun way to gloss the concept of "the horizon/vanishing point/point at which your vision is blocked by something".
- idefk what to do with punctuation man

@Banjo @Llanai
iiJfkW7.pngHYKufkZ.png8H57y7U.png
1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 38 39