Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [NuzVariant] Sheshu's Clan: Rules Thread
1 2
[img]http://www.firecat.net/Tsaarn/Sheshu_images/SheshusClan_banner.png[/img] [center][size=6]Rules Thread[/size] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/1656016]Story thread can be found here[/url][/center] [rule] Hello! So here are the rules for my Nuzlocke variant, which I’ve posted in a separate thread from the actual story because they turned out so @#$%! long. I consider these to be under construction and liable to change as I see how they actually play out. [indent]1. Acquiring dragons 2. Breeding 3. Money, purchases, and possessions 4. Gathering and traveling 5. Familiars 6. Skins, accents, and scrolls 7. Coliseum 8. Breed-specific challenges[/indent] I welcome any comments! :) [rule]
SheshusClan_banner.png

Hello! So here are the rules for my Nuzlocke variant, which I’ve posted in a separate thread from the actual story because they turned out so @#$%! long. I consider these to be under construction and liable to change as I see how they actually play out.

1. Acquiring dragons
2. Breeding
3. Money, purchases, and possessions
4. Gathering and traveling
5. Familiars
6. Skins, accents, and scrolls
7. Coliseum
8. Breed-specific challenges

I welcome any comments! :)

SheshusClan_profile.png
Acquiring Dragons

[I’m starting with my two progens, but if you were starting from scratch I guess you’d probably want to follow standard Nuzlocke start rules: one lair survivor and one egg.]

Once a month, you can “buy” one dragon from the auction house. (Note that these dragons are not actually being sold/auctioned in-story but are being encountered and joining the clan.) When acquiring these dragons (using vault money only; see below under “Money, purchases, and possessions”), roll/rng on the following table for breed and for each gene.

1-45: plentiful
46-70: common
71-90: uncommon
91-98: limited
99-100: rare

Roll on the following table for element:

1-80: element of the region that the clan is currently in
81-100: any element

You can choose from any dragon you can afford that fits these rarities/elements. (Find the guide to rarities here.) If there are no affordable dragons that fit the criteria (or if you don’t want any of the affordable ones), your acquisition session is over for that month., you can keep checking the AH for the rest of that month, using the same roll results. If by the end of the month you haven't found an affordable dragon that you like, that month's acquisition is lost. If you don't attempt to find a dragon (i.e., you don’t roll at all), your dragon purchase rolls over to the next month, so you can save them up to acquire more than one dragon at a time.

You can also acquire new dragons when dragons from your clan visit another clan (or vice versa), by trading with, “purchasing” from (using vault money), or accepting a gift from that clan. In this case, there are no rarity limitations.

Elemental eggs can be acquired with hoard money or vault money, gifted, or found via gathering or coli. Only one egg may be purchased per month. (There are no limits on found or gifted eggs.)

You may acquire eggs from festival and dom raffles, but not dragons. Treat raffle eggs as gifts.

Acquiring Dragons

[I’m starting with my two progens, but if you were starting from scratch I guess you’d probably want to follow standard Nuzlocke start rules: one lair survivor and one egg.]

Once a month, you can “buy” one dragon from the auction house. (Note that these dragons are not actually being sold/auctioned in-story but are being encountered and joining the clan.) When acquiring these dragons (using vault money only; see below under “Money, purchases, and possessions”), roll/rng on the following table for breed and for each gene.

1-45: plentiful
46-70: common
71-90: uncommon
91-98: limited
99-100: rare

Roll on the following table for element:

1-80: element of the region that the clan is currently in
81-100: any element

You can choose from any dragon you can afford that fits these rarities/elements. (Find the guide to rarities here.) If there are no affordable dragons that fit the criteria (or if you don’t want any of the affordable ones), your acquisition session is over for that month., you can keep checking the AH for the rest of that month, using the same roll results. If by the end of the month you haven't found an affordable dragon that you like, that month's acquisition is lost. If you don't attempt to find a dragon (i.e., you don’t roll at all), your dragon purchase rolls over to the next month, so you can save them up to acquire more than one dragon at a time.

You can also acquire new dragons when dragons from your clan visit another clan (or vice versa), by trading with, “purchasing” from (using vault money), or accepting a gift from that clan. In this case, there are no rarity limitations.

Elemental eggs can be acquired with hoard money or vault money, gifted, or found via gathering or coli. Only one egg may be purchased per month. (There are no limits on found or gifted eggs.)

You may acquire eggs from festival and dom raffles, but not dragons. Treat raffle eggs as gifts.

SheshusClan_profile.png
Breeding

Dragons are all interfertile, but they can only breed if their sizes are roughly compatible. Generally speaking, this blocks out as:

– Fae can only breed with other fae, spirals, and tundras.

– Spirals, tundras, skydancers, snappers, wildclaws, pearlcatchers, nocturnes, and mirrors are all reasonably compatible with each other.

– Coatls can breed with snappers, wildclaws, pearlcatchers, mirrors, and smallish guardians.

– Guardians, ridgebacks, and imperials are all compatible with each other.

Exceptions can be made if one or the other partner is unusually small or large for its breed.

For each hatchling in a nest (or each elemental egg hatched), roll/rng 1-100. On a 1-5, the hatchling dies sometime before reaching adulthood (or the egg just fails to hatch).

Dragons on a nest cannot travel.

Breeding

Dragons are all interfertile, but they can only breed if their sizes are roughly compatible. Generally speaking, this blocks out as:

– Fae can only breed with other fae, spirals, and tundras.

– Spirals, tundras, skydancers, snappers, wildclaws, pearlcatchers, nocturnes, and mirrors are all reasonably compatible with each other.

– Coatls can breed with snappers, wildclaws, pearlcatchers, mirrors, and smallish guardians.

– Guardians, ridgebacks, and imperials are all compatible with each other.

Exceptions can be made if one or the other partner is unusually small or large for its breed.

For each hatchling in a nest (or each elemental egg hatched), roll/rng 1-100. On a 1-5, the hatchling dies sometime before reaching adulthood (or the egg just fails to hatch).

Dragons on a nest cannot travel.

SheshusClan_profile.png
Money, Purchases, and Possessions

All treasure and gems from dragon and familiar “sales,” skin and nonapparel accent sales (see “Skins and accents,” below), battlestone sales, and exaltation goes in the vault; this is the only money that can be used for dragon acquisition, breed and gene changes, scatterscrolls, battlestones, skins and nonapparel accents, marketplace familiars, and lair, nest, and apparel expansions. This “vault money” is virtual money and doesn’t count against the clan’s carrying capacity. [The premise is that this is a sort of intangible experience/success/power capital that the clan acquires through time and events, which allows it to gain new members, abilities, specialized items, etc.]

Treasure from hoard sales also goes to the vault. So does daily treasure/gems, including any bonues from dom.

Treasure/gems from gathering, the coli, and all sales not listed above are “hoard money.” Hoard money can be used for apparel, apparel accents, food, materials, and other items. This money can also be used to buy tickets in festival raffles.

All items from familiar chests aside from other familiars (including the chests themselves) can kept, hoard sold (if applicable) for vault money, or auctioned for hoard money. Treasure and gems may be assigned as hoard money (i.e., this is “real” money that your familiar found for you), or vault money, as you prefer.

When dragons are traveling, they can only carry a reasonable amount of possessions. [I’m eyeballing this rather than setting strict rules.] Other possessions can be cached (vaulted) and are available when the clan is in that location.

Out-of-character games and acquisitions:
– No fairgrounds.
– No trading post except during festival weeks. No Baldwin at all. Added 12/15/15: The daily draw from Pinkerton is allowed—instead of receiving the item from Pinkerton himself, it's a random find or will be otherwise written into the story.
– No gem purchases.

[Exception 1: Gem purchases and fairgrounds treasure are allowed for out-of-character exchanges only—for example, to purchase art or banners. The money must be acquired for a specific, planned purchase and used as soon as possible.]
[Exception 2: A gem purchase of up to $25 may be made for each dragon leveled to 25. (Because there should be some motivation for leveling, right?)]

Money, Purchases, and Possessions

All treasure and gems from dragon and familiar “sales,” skin and nonapparel accent sales (see “Skins and accents,” below), battlestone sales, and exaltation goes in the vault; this is the only money that can be used for dragon acquisition, breed and gene changes, scatterscrolls, battlestones, skins and nonapparel accents, marketplace familiars, and lair, nest, and apparel expansions. This “vault money” is virtual money and doesn’t count against the clan’s carrying capacity. [The premise is that this is a sort of intangible experience/success/power capital that the clan acquires through time and events, which allows it to gain new members, abilities, specialized items, etc.]

Treasure from hoard sales also goes to the vault. So does daily treasure/gems, including any bonues from dom.

Treasure/gems from gathering, the coli, and all sales not listed above are “hoard money.” Hoard money can be used for apparel, apparel accents, food, materials, and other items. This money can also be used to buy tickets in festival raffles.

All items from familiar chests aside from other familiars (including the chests themselves) can kept, hoard sold (if applicable) for vault money, or auctioned for hoard money. Treasure and gems may be assigned as hoard money (i.e., this is “real” money that your familiar found for you), or vault money, as you prefer.

When dragons are traveling, they can only carry a reasonable amount of possessions. [I’m eyeballing this rather than setting strict rules.] Other possessions can be cached (vaulted) and are available when the clan is in that location.

Out-of-character games and acquisitions:
– No fairgrounds.
– No trading post except during festival weeks. No Baldwin at all. Added 12/15/15: The daily draw from Pinkerton is allowed—instead of receiving the item from Pinkerton himself, it's a random find or will be otherwise written into the story.
– No gem purchases.

[Exception 1: Gem purchases and fairgrounds treasure are allowed for out-of-character exchanges only—for example, to purchase art or banners. The money must be acquired for a specific, planned purchase and used as soon as possible.]
[Exception 2: A gem purchase of up to $25 may be made for each dragon leveled to 25. (Because there should be some motivation for leveling, right?)]

SheshusClan_profile.png
Gathering and Traveling

Each healthy, adult dragon gets two gathering turns per day, and each hatchling over two days old gets one turn per day (up to the clan’s total gathering turns), plus the clan in general gets its well-fed bonus and any gathering bonus from dom. These turns may be divided among any of the forms of gathering (i.e., gathering for food is allowed). All gathering must be done in the region that the clan is currently in. (If one or more dragons are traveling separately from the clan, the gathering can be split among regions.)

Any number of dragons in the clan may be traveling at any time. There are no formal rules for where or how far dragons can travel, but assume that Sornieth is huge and use common sense (e.g., no traveling from Ice to Nature in a day; fae are poor travelers as described in their lore; snappers can’t fly, etc.).

If a dragon reaches 5 energy or lower, it can no longer travel or gather. At 0 energy, it dies of starvation.

Gathering and Traveling

Each healthy, adult dragon gets two gathering turns per day, and each hatchling over two days old gets one turn per day (up to the clan’s total gathering turns), plus the clan in general gets its well-fed bonus and any gathering bonus from dom. These turns may be divided among any of the forms of gathering (i.e., gathering for food is allowed). All gathering must be done in the region that the clan is currently in. (If one or more dragons are traveling separately from the clan, the gathering can be split among regions.)

Any number of dragons in the clan may be traveling at any time. There are no formal rules for where or how far dragons can travel, but assume that Sornieth is huge and use common sense (e.g., no traveling from Ice to Nature in a day; fae are poor travelers as described in their lore; snappers can’t fly, etc.).

If a dragon reaches 5 energy or lower, it can no longer travel or gather. At 0 energy, it dies of starvation.

SheshusClan_profile.png
Familiars

Familiars cannot be purchased from the auction house or marketplace or acquired via raffles; they can only be acquired via gathering, familiar-bonding chests, the coli, or gifts. [Exceptions: Marketplace-only familiars and retired/cycled out familiars can be acquired using vault money. Festival familiars can be acquired using festival currency or vault money.]

Familiars can be auctioned, hoard-sold, or gifted. (Lorewise, familiars are not actually sold but released to the wilds, their original homes, or a new dragon companion.)

All familiars must be attached to a dragon. Only one familiar per dragon. Aquatic familiars are only allowed when their dragon is settled near water. If/when they move on, these familiars must be sold or given away. (Alternatively, they can be vaulted—i.e., cached—and rejoin their dragon when it returns to the location.) Added 12/20/15: Acquired but unattached familiars remain in the location in which they were first encountered and can be claimed/attached whenever the dragon(s) are in that area. Also, other creatures can be attached to a dragon's familiar instead of to the dragon itself, assuming that this makes sense lorewise (e.g., a luna mith with companion moths, or a pack of wolves). Although these followers are not actually the dragon's familiars, they may follow where the familiar goes.

A dragon can only bond with one familiar at a time. All acquired familiars not currently attached to a dragon exist in one of four states:

1. Already full bonded: Once a familiar reaches the Awakened state, it may choose to remain with its dragon when the dragon begins bonding with a new familiar. In this way, dragons may eventually acquire more than one familiar, if they so choose.

2. Partially or fully bonded but left behind: The familiar has been left at some location (because it's limited to certain environments, for example, or because the dragon wants to release it for some reason). The dragon can renew its relationship with that familiar by returning to the location where they parted. However, if it has only been partially bonded, it can only rejoin the dragon if all of the dragon's current familiars are awakened (i.e., a dragon can't have two partially bonded familiars at the same time).

3. Familiar in potential: Familiars that were "acquired" but not attached to any dragon yet are considered to be potential familiars and can be encountered and attached to a dragon anywhere and at any time (provided they can exist in that environment).

4. Companion to a current familiar: Other creatures can be attached to a dragon's familiar instead of to the dragon itself, assuming that this makes sense lorewise (e.g., a luna mith with companion moths, or a pack of wolves). Although these followers are not actually the dragon's familiars, they may follow where the familiar goes.
[1/3/15: totally revamped this section]

Familiars

Familiars cannot be purchased from the auction house or marketplace or acquired via raffles; they can only be acquired via gathering, familiar-bonding chests, the coli, or gifts. [Exceptions: Marketplace-only familiars and retired/cycled out familiars can be acquired using vault money. Festival familiars can be acquired using festival currency or vault money.]

Familiars can be auctioned, hoard-sold, or gifted. (Lorewise, familiars are not actually sold but released to the wilds, their original homes, or a new dragon companion.)

All familiars must be attached to a dragon. Only one familiar per dragon. Aquatic familiars are only allowed when their dragon is settled near water. If/when they move on, these familiars must be sold or given away. (Alternatively, they can be vaulted—i.e., cached—and rejoin their dragon when it returns to the location.) Added 12/20/15: Acquired but unattached familiars remain in the location in which they were first encountered and can be claimed/attached whenever the dragon(s) are in that area. Also, other creatures can be attached to a dragon's familiar instead of to the dragon itself, assuming that this makes sense lorewise (e.g., a luna mith with companion moths, or a pack of wolves). Although these followers are not actually the dragon's familiars, they may follow where the familiar goes.

A dragon can only bond with one familiar at a time. All acquired familiars not currently attached to a dragon exist in one of four states:

1. Already full bonded: Once a familiar reaches the Awakened state, it may choose to remain with its dragon when the dragon begins bonding with a new familiar. In this way, dragons may eventually acquire more than one familiar, if they so choose.

2. Partially or fully bonded but left behind: The familiar has been left at some location (because it's limited to certain environments, for example, or because the dragon wants to release it for some reason). The dragon can renew its relationship with that familiar by returning to the location where they parted. However, if it has only been partially bonded, it can only rejoin the dragon if all of the dragon's current familiars are awakened (i.e., a dragon can't have two partially bonded familiars at the same time).

3. Familiar in potential: Familiars that were "acquired" but not attached to any dragon yet are considered to be potential familiars and can be encountered and attached to a dragon anywhere and at any time (provided they can exist in that environment).

4. Companion to a current familiar: Other creatures can be attached to a dragon's familiar instead of to the dragon itself, assuming that this makes sense lorewise (e.g., a luna mith with companion moths, or a pack of wolves). Although these followers are not actually the dragon's familiars, they may follow where the familiar goes.
[1/3/15: totally revamped this section]

SheshusClan_profile.png
Skins, accents, and scrolls

Accents that look like clothing, jewelry, flowers, armor, painted runes, or other apparel or decorations can be bought and sold with hoard money, gifted, or acquired via raffles. These are treated like other possessions.

Accents that look like actual physical changes to the dragon (elemental or magical features, color or pattern changes, etc.) and skins must be bought and sold with vault money.

Festival skins/accents and other coli skins/accents follow the same rules, except that they can also be acquired via chests/crates.

All breed changes, gene changes, color scattering, and skins/nonapparel accents need a lore explanation. (Dragons from elemental eggs are magically fluid in nature and can be considered to change easily within their first few months of life, but there still should be some reason, even if it’s just that their true nature is emerging.)

Skins, accents, and scrolls

Accents that look like clothing, jewelry, flowers, armor, painted runes, or other apparel or decorations can be bought and sold with hoard money, gifted, or acquired via raffles. These are treated like other possessions.

Accents that look like actual physical changes to the dragon (elemental or magical features, color or pattern changes, etc.) and skins must be bought and sold with vault money.

Festival skins/accents and other coli skins/accents follow the same rules, except that they can also be acquired via chests/crates.

All breed changes, gene changes, color scattering, and skins/nonapparel accents need a lore explanation. (Dragons from elemental eggs are magically fluid in nature and can be considered to change easily within their first few months of life, but there still should be some reason, even if it’s just that their true nature is emerging.)

SheshusClan_profile.png
Coliseum

All elemental regions of Sornieth are assumed to have some equivalent of every coliseum venue, although some travel within the region may be required to reach them.

If a dragon faints in the coli, roll/rng 1-100 at the end of the combat. If the number is equal to or less than the dragon’s strength, it lives.
– multiply the roll x2 if the killing blow was a crit
– multiply the roll x3 if it was crit and a one-shot kill
– if the dragon has a familiar, divide the roll by 2 (after any multipliers), rounding down
– if a dragon is wearing armor, subtract 1 from the base roll (before any adjustments) for each minor piece of armor (tail guard, greaves, gauntlets, wing pieces, banner); subtract 5 from the base roll for each major piece of armor (chest guard or breastplate, helmet). If the dragon is wearing a full set of armor, ignore any crit multipliers. This applies to accent armor as well as apparel armor.

If a dragon faints three times in a day, it’s dead on the third faint (no “saves”).

If all of the dragons faint in any combat, the entire party is dead (no survival rolls).

To escape a battle, the dragons must use the flee action (no clicking away from the coli). At least one dragon must escape for the party to have any chance of surviving.

Dead dragons are exalted.
[Exception: The clan’s two progenitors, Sheshu and Tori, get one free faint per day, as long as at least one other dragon is able to either flee or win the fight. Also, if either or both dies, they may remain with the clan as “spirits.” (I’ll figure out any specific rules for this if/when it happens.)]

Coliseum

All elemental regions of Sornieth are assumed to have some equivalent of every coliseum venue, although some travel within the region may be required to reach them.

If a dragon faints in the coli, roll/rng 1-100 at the end of the combat. If the number is equal to or less than the dragon’s strength, it lives.
– multiply the roll x2 if the killing blow was a crit
– multiply the roll x3 if it was crit and a one-shot kill
– if the dragon has a familiar, divide the roll by 2 (after any multipliers), rounding down
– if a dragon is wearing armor, subtract 1 from the base roll (before any adjustments) for each minor piece of armor (tail guard, greaves, gauntlets, wing pieces, banner); subtract 5 from the base roll for each major piece of armor (chest guard or breastplate, helmet). If the dragon is wearing a full set of armor, ignore any crit multipliers. This applies to accent armor as well as apparel armor.

If a dragon faints three times in a day, it’s dead on the third faint (no “saves”).

If all of the dragons faint in any combat, the entire party is dead (no survival rolls).

To escape a battle, the dragons must use the flee action (no clicking away from the coli). At least one dragon must escape for the party to have any chance of surviving.

Dead dragons are exalted.
[Exception: The clan’s two progenitors, Sheshu and Tori, get one free faint per day, as long as at least one other dragon is able to either flee or win the fight. Also, if either or both dies, they may remain with the clan as “spirits.” (I’ll figure out any specific rules for this if/when it happens.)]

SheshusClan_profile.png
Breed-Specific Challenges

Coatls: If a coatl is acquired or bred (or scattered) with any one of these colors, it may be unhealthy: maize through coal, thistle, steel, swamp, goldenrod, ivory, beige, stone. At the beginning of each month, roll/rng 1-10. On a 1-5 (or a 1-2 if the coatl is in the Fire region), the coatl is ill. Ill coatls cannot nest, travel (except by conveyance), or fight in the coli; they are reduced to one gathering turn per day (or none, if a hatchling). A coatl may be temporarily healed by expending a health potion or major health potion or by being tended by a healer, but will still need to reroll for health each month. If a coatl remains ill for four consecutive months, it must succeed on its next health roll or die. A coatl may be made permanently healthy by being scattered to better colors, replacing its poorly colored genes with crystal/facet/glimmer genes, or wearing a skin.

Fae: Fae are unusually sensitive to the magical energies of the regions. Whenever a fae enters an area of region belonging to its opposing element, roll/rng 1-100. If the result is equal to or lower than the fae’s intelligence, the fae is fine. Otherwise, if a fae is in the two outermost regions of its opposing element, it feels anxious and uncomfortable. In the third level of that region, the fae becomes unable to access its own elemental magics, and the sheer elemental power of the innermost level of the region causes the fae to become catatonic until removed from the area. The elemental oppositions are as follows:

Water vs. Wind
Earth vs. Fire
Light vs. Shadow
Lightning vs. Ice
Nature vs. Plague
Arcane—pick any one region (or select randomly)

When a fae is in its own elemental region, it uses its intelligence or strength score, whichever is better, for death saves in the coli. If it has a familiar of its own element, divide the death roll by 3 instead of 2.

Guardians: When a guardian reaches breeding age, roll/rng 1-10. On a 1, the guardian’s charge is (or will be) in the clan. On any other number, the guardian must leave on Search (i.e., be sold or exalted). Guardians acquired as mature adults are exempt from this; it can be assumed that their Charge is in the clan or that they brought it with them.

Imperials: Each month, roll/rng 1-100. On a 1-71-2, the imperial dies (is exalted).

Mirrors: Mirrors require twice as much food as other dragons. Whenever a mirror consumes food points, meat or seafood items providing an equal number of points must be sacrificed. These items are hoard sold, and the money can be deposited in the vault. If there are no meat or seafood items to sacrifice, use fleeing in the coli to make the mirror lose the required number of points in energy, rounding the number down. (So a mirror that needs an extra three points of food either needs to sacrifice three food points worth of items or flee the coli once, losing 2 points of energy.) No death saves are needed for any accidental faints, as this isn’t actually a battle.

Nocturnes: Nocturnes that belong to clans with non-nocturne members have adapted so as not to remain dormant most of the time, but they do still need a yearly period of hibernation. From the end of Greenskeeper’s Gathering to the end of Flameforger’s Festival, nocturnes are unable to gather, nest, or fight in the coli; they are only able to travel if there’s a covered vehicle to carry them. If the clan is in some sort of indoor or underground location, the nocturne may remain minimally active and communicative; otherwise, the nocturne will find or create a burrow and go to sleep for the duration. Light nocturnes have a brief period of full wakefulness and activity during the week of Brightshine Jubilee, as they feel an attunement to the Lightweaver’s power.

Also, a nocturne may only gather, travel, or fight in the coli during twilight or at night, unless wearing some sort of eye protection.

Pearlcatchers: If a pearlcatcher flees the coli (or faints and survives), roll/rng 1-10. On a 1-2, its pearl has been lost, stolen, or destroyed. The result should be roleplayed out as appropriate for the personality of the dragon, bearing in mind the seriousness of the situation (i.e., the dragon believes that it has actually lost its soul or essence).

Ridgebacks: The only thing ridgebacks hate worse than being wet is being cold and wet. Whenever a ridgeback spends any amount of time in a cold, wet location without sufficient protection from the elements, roll/rng 1-100 and subtract the dragon’s vitality from the result. (Ice and Water dragons subtract their vitality x2.)

1-45: Dragon is disgruntled.
46-70: Dragon has minor sniffles.
71-90: Dragon gets ill with fever, chills, headache, and coughing/sneezing; plus all of its spines turn pale, molt, and then have to grow out again, which is itchy and annoying. (The ridgeback’s nose horn also turns pale temporarily, and while no one has ever actually lost their horn, some dragons are convinced that they will.) The dragon cannot travel, gather, or fight in the coli for one week (two if it insists on waiting for the spines to regrow).
91-100: Dragon develops a form of pneumonia; make a death save as if the dragon had fainted in the coli, including the familiar bonus if applicable. If a healer or healing potions are available, you may reroll failures: once for the healer, once for each health potion, and twice for each major health potion applied. The dragon cannot travel, gather, or fight in the coli for one month, while it recovers.

Cold, wet locations include the Boreal Wood; the Waterway, the Crystal Pools, and the Kelp Beds in all regions except Fire, Lightning, and Nature; any wet location in the Tangled Wood; everywhere in the Sea of a Thousand Currents except the southwestern Tsunami Flats; everywhere in the Southern Icefields, plus any other locations and/or circumstances that would logically seem to lead to cold wetness. Protective gear includes coats, capes, (non-silk) scarves, raider’s arm wraps and leggings, warm hats, gloves, etc. that cover the majority of the dragon’s body. Appropriate apparel-type accents also count. Armor alone is not protective.

Skydancers: Born of wind, skydancers are uncomfortable when they can’t feel the movement of the air or see the sky. When a skydancer is first acquired/hatched, roll/rng 1-10. If the result is a 1-3, the skydancer struggles to function in enclosed spaces. Such a dragon is unable to use its gathering turns for digging, and if forced to fight in the Forgotten Cave, the Waterway, the Kelp Beds, or the Golem’s Workshop, it must roll/rng 1-100 each time it takes damage—if it rolls higher than its strength or intelligence (whichever is its primary score), it must flee the fight. (Apply the crit multiplier and familiar modifier, as applicable.) If the clan settles in an entirely enclosed location (e.g., a cave system or underwater), roll for the skydancer each month as if it were a snapper. Water Flight skydancers do not need to roll for living underwater as long as they can visit the surface occasionally.

Snappers: Snappers have difficulty remaining in one place for any stretch of time. After one month of the snapper being settled, roll/rng 1-10. If the result is 6 or more, the snapper must either travel for the rest of that month or leave the clan entirely. (Add 1 to the roll for each consecutive month the snapper has been stationary; add 2 if the snapper is currently living in a particularly enclosed/restricted place, such as a cave system.) When the snapper eventually returns to the clan (if it does), all of the modifiers reset.

Also, while snappers are molting, they are unable to travel, gather, nest, or fight in the coli. A snapper molts every three months for its first year (counting from its hatching date), then once a year after that. Each molt lasts 4-6 days (roll/rng 1-3+3).

Spirals: If a spiral takes any physical damage in the coli, roll/rng 1-10. On a 1, one of the spiral’s wings has been damaged and it can no longer flee or fight; it can only take the Defend action. If it survives the combat, roll/rng 1-10 to find out how many days it will take for the wing to heal and the spiral to be able to return to the coli. While injured, spirals cannot gather and can only travel if there is a larger dragon or a vehicle to carry them.

Tundras: Even in their summer coats, tundras suffer from heat and become lethargic. In hot areas, tundras can only use half their gathering turns each day (round down, so hatchlings get no turns). If a tundra survives a faint in a hot area of the coli, it must retire for the rest of that day as it recovers from heat prostration. Hot locations include the Scorched Forest, Sandswept Delta, and Rainsong Forest in all domains except Ice and Water; the inner two regions of the Shifting Expanse and the Viridian Labyrinth, and all areas of the Ashfall Waste; and summer (from Greenskeeper’s through Flameforger’s) in Earth, Plague, Light, and the outer two regions of Nature and Lightning. Crystal tundras can ignore the heat; some skins and nonapparel accents can also provide immunity.

Tundras can gather and travel at 5 energy or below and don’t die at 0 energy unless in an area in which literally nothing is growing. (It’s assumed that since they can consume any form plant matter they can eke out a bare survival anywhere that there are plants.)

Wildclaws: Children of Nature, Wildclaws are closely connected to primal energies and thus peculiarly susceptible to elemental mutations. Roll on the table below whenever the dragon 1) enters the innermost area of a region for the first time, 2) spends a month in either of the two inner areas of a region, or 3) turns one year old. (Apply the following modifiers to the roll: +10 if the dragon is in the innermost area, +10 if the region’s element is in opposition to the dragon’s [see under “Fae,” above], –10 if the dragon’s element is the same as the region’s.)

1-70: no effect
71-90: minor cosmetic alteration
91-98: significant physical alteration
99-100: dragon transforms into a monster and either becomes an antagonist of the clan or must be exalted

After the dragon turns one year old, its form is basically stable, and further shifting is unlikely to take place (unless it would make a good story).

Breed-Specific Challenges

Coatls: If a coatl is acquired or bred (or scattered) with any one of these colors, it may be unhealthy: maize through coal, thistle, steel, swamp, goldenrod, ivory, beige, stone. At the beginning of each month, roll/rng 1-10. On a 1-5 (or a 1-2 if the coatl is in the Fire region), the coatl is ill. Ill coatls cannot nest, travel (except by conveyance), or fight in the coli; they are reduced to one gathering turn per day (or none, if a hatchling). A coatl may be temporarily healed by expending a health potion or major health potion or by being tended by a healer, but will still need to reroll for health each month. If a coatl remains ill for four consecutive months, it must succeed on its next health roll or die. A coatl may be made permanently healthy by being scattered to better colors, replacing its poorly colored genes with crystal/facet/glimmer genes, or wearing a skin.

Fae: Fae are unusually sensitive to the magical energies of the regions. Whenever a fae enters an area of region belonging to its opposing element, roll/rng 1-100. If the result is equal to or lower than the fae’s intelligence, the fae is fine. Otherwise, if a fae is in the two outermost regions of its opposing element, it feels anxious and uncomfortable. In the third level of that region, the fae becomes unable to access its own elemental magics, and the sheer elemental power of the innermost level of the region causes the fae to become catatonic until removed from the area. The elemental oppositions are as follows:

Water vs. Wind
Earth vs. Fire
Light vs. Shadow
Lightning vs. Ice
Nature vs. Plague
Arcane—pick any one region (or select randomly)

When a fae is in its own elemental region, it uses its intelligence or strength score, whichever is better, for death saves in the coli. If it has a familiar of its own element, divide the death roll by 3 instead of 2.

Guardians: When a guardian reaches breeding age, roll/rng 1-10. On a 1, the guardian’s charge is (or will be) in the clan. On any other number, the guardian must leave on Search (i.e., be sold or exalted). Guardians acquired as mature adults are exempt from this; it can be assumed that their Charge is in the clan or that they brought it with them.

Imperials: Each month, roll/rng 1-100. On a 1-71-2, the imperial dies (is exalted).

Mirrors: Mirrors require twice as much food as other dragons. Whenever a mirror consumes food points, meat or seafood items providing an equal number of points must be sacrificed. These items are hoard sold, and the money can be deposited in the vault. If there are no meat or seafood items to sacrifice, use fleeing in the coli to make the mirror lose the required number of points in energy, rounding the number down. (So a mirror that needs an extra three points of food either needs to sacrifice three food points worth of items or flee the coli once, losing 2 points of energy.) No death saves are needed for any accidental faints, as this isn’t actually a battle.

Nocturnes: Nocturnes that belong to clans with non-nocturne members have adapted so as not to remain dormant most of the time, but they do still need a yearly period of hibernation. From the end of Greenskeeper’s Gathering to the end of Flameforger’s Festival, nocturnes are unable to gather, nest, or fight in the coli; they are only able to travel if there’s a covered vehicle to carry them. If the clan is in some sort of indoor or underground location, the nocturne may remain minimally active and communicative; otherwise, the nocturne will find or create a burrow and go to sleep for the duration. Light nocturnes have a brief period of full wakefulness and activity during the week of Brightshine Jubilee, as they feel an attunement to the Lightweaver’s power.

Also, a nocturne may only gather, travel, or fight in the coli during twilight or at night, unless wearing some sort of eye protection.

Pearlcatchers: If a pearlcatcher flees the coli (or faints and survives), roll/rng 1-10. On a 1-2, its pearl has been lost, stolen, or destroyed. The result should be roleplayed out as appropriate for the personality of the dragon, bearing in mind the seriousness of the situation (i.e., the dragon believes that it has actually lost its soul or essence).

Ridgebacks: The only thing ridgebacks hate worse than being wet is being cold and wet. Whenever a ridgeback spends any amount of time in a cold, wet location without sufficient protection from the elements, roll/rng 1-100 and subtract the dragon’s vitality from the result. (Ice and Water dragons subtract their vitality x2.)

1-45: Dragon is disgruntled.
46-70: Dragon has minor sniffles.
71-90: Dragon gets ill with fever, chills, headache, and coughing/sneezing; plus all of its spines turn pale, molt, and then have to grow out again, which is itchy and annoying. (The ridgeback’s nose horn also turns pale temporarily, and while no one has ever actually lost their horn, some dragons are convinced that they will.) The dragon cannot travel, gather, or fight in the coli for one week (two if it insists on waiting for the spines to regrow).
91-100: Dragon develops a form of pneumonia; make a death save as if the dragon had fainted in the coli, including the familiar bonus if applicable. If a healer or healing potions are available, you may reroll failures: once for the healer, once for each health potion, and twice for each major health potion applied. The dragon cannot travel, gather, or fight in the coli for one month, while it recovers.

Cold, wet locations include the Boreal Wood; the Waterway, the Crystal Pools, and the Kelp Beds in all regions except Fire, Lightning, and Nature; any wet location in the Tangled Wood; everywhere in the Sea of a Thousand Currents except the southwestern Tsunami Flats; everywhere in the Southern Icefields, plus any other locations and/or circumstances that would logically seem to lead to cold wetness. Protective gear includes coats, capes, (non-silk) scarves, raider’s arm wraps and leggings, warm hats, gloves, etc. that cover the majority of the dragon’s body. Appropriate apparel-type accents also count. Armor alone is not protective.

Skydancers: Born of wind, skydancers are uncomfortable when they can’t feel the movement of the air or see the sky. When a skydancer is first acquired/hatched, roll/rng 1-10. If the result is a 1-3, the skydancer struggles to function in enclosed spaces. Such a dragon is unable to use its gathering turns for digging, and if forced to fight in the Forgotten Cave, the Waterway, the Kelp Beds, or the Golem’s Workshop, it must roll/rng 1-100 each time it takes damage—if it rolls higher than its strength or intelligence (whichever is its primary score), it must flee the fight. (Apply the crit multiplier and familiar modifier, as applicable.) If the clan settles in an entirely enclosed location (e.g., a cave system or underwater), roll for the skydancer each month as if it were a snapper. Water Flight skydancers do not need to roll for living underwater as long as they can visit the surface occasionally.

Snappers: Snappers have difficulty remaining in one place for any stretch of time. After one month of the snapper being settled, roll/rng 1-10. If the result is 6 or more, the snapper must either travel for the rest of that month or leave the clan entirely. (Add 1 to the roll for each consecutive month the snapper has been stationary; add 2 if the snapper is currently living in a particularly enclosed/restricted place, such as a cave system.) When the snapper eventually returns to the clan (if it does), all of the modifiers reset.

Also, while snappers are molting, they are unable to travel, gather, nest, or fight in the coli. A snapper molts every three months for its first year (counting from its hatching date), then once a year after that. Each molt lasts 4-6 days (roll/rng 1-3+3).

Spirals: If a spiral takes any physical damage in the coli, roll/rng 1-10. On a 1, one of the spiral’s wings has been damaged and it can no longer flee or fight; it can only take the Defend action. If it survives the combat, roll/rng 1-10 to find out how many days it will take for the wing to heal and the spiral to be able to return to the coli. While injured, spirals cannot gather and can only travel if there is a larger dragon or a vehicle to carry them.

Tundras: Even in their summer coats, tundras suffer from heat and become lethargic. In hot areas, tundras can only use half their gathering turns each day (round down, so hatchlings get no turns). If a tundra survives a faint in a hot area of the coli, it must retire for the rest of that day as it recovers from heat prostration. Hot locations include the Scorched Forest, Sandswept Delta, and Rainsong Forest in all domains except Ice and Water; the inner two regions of the Shifting Expanse and the Viridian Labyrinth, and all areas of the Ashfall Waste; and summer (from Greenskeeper’s through Flameforger’s) in Earth, Plague, Light, and the outer two regions of Nature and Lightning. Crystal tundras can ignore the heat; some skins and nonapparel accents can also provide immunity.

Tundras can gather and travel at 5 energy or below and don’t die at 0 energy unless in an area in which literally nothing is growing. (It’s assumed that since they can consume any form plant matter they can eke out a bare survival anywhere that there are plants.)

Wildclaws: Children of Nature, Wildclaws are closely connected to primal energies and thus peculiarly susceptible to elemental mutations. Roll on the table below whenever the dragon 1) enters the innermost area of a region for the first time, 2) spends a month in either of the two inner areas of a region, or 3) turns one year old. (Apply the following modifiers to the roll: +10 if the dragon is in the innermost area, +10 if the region’s element is in opposition to the dragon’s [see under “Fae,” above], –10 if the dragon’s element is the same as the region’s.)

1-70: no effect
71-90: minor cosmetic alteration
91-98: significant physical alteration
99-100: dragon transforms into a monster and either becomes an antagonist of the clan or must be exalted

After the dragon turns one year old, its form is basically stable, and further shifting is unlikely to take place (unless it would make a good story).

SheshusClan_profile.png
[reserved]
[reserved]
SheshusClan_profile.png
1 2