Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [NuzVariant] Sheshu's Clan: Story Thread
1 2 3 4
[img]http://www.firecat.net/Tsaarn/Sheshu_images/SheshusClan_banner.png[/img] [center][size=6]Story Thread[/size] 1. Introduction 2. Clan members 3. Chapter list 4. Recordkeeping [size=2][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/1656036]Rules can be found here[/url][/size][/center] [rule] The wind combed through the tall grasses, bending them in rippling rows before releasing them to rise and then bow again, over and over. Those waves hissed and sang across the rolling plains, breaking only to curve around a place where the grass had been flattened before flowing on toward the boundless horizon. The mirror curled up in the hollow stirred. She stood, stretched long and lazy, and the morning sunlight threw tigery grass-shadows across her white hide. Lifting her head, she scented the air curiously; she looked all about herself at the many shades of green, the blue sky, the white clouds scudding past overhead, all soft and yet somehow brilliant, and when she shifted her gaze, the currents of the wind became rivers and pools of color, rainbows in constant motion. She reshifted her sight and tilted her head to listen. [i]Shh[/i], went the wind in the grass, [i]shhh-shhh[/i], and "Shhh," she hissed, singing softly back to it, "Shh—sh-shu—sheshu!" She laughed suddenly, stretched again, and then bounded out of the hollow and went trotting off through the yielding grasses, eager to find out what the new day would bring. [rule] Hello and welcome to the story of my clan! I wanted to start off the game with an element of challenge, so I'm doing a variant Nuzlocke (because I think those are pretty cool). I got a little out of control with adapting and expanding the rules—what can I say; I'm a geek—so I've made a separate thread for them [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/1656036]here[/url]. If you have any questions or comments on the rules, that's the place to put them. However, the tl;dr version is: [indent] – limited dragon acquisition [s]– limited familiar acquisition and possession[/s] – breeding is size dependent – small chance of hatchling death – no fairgrounds; limited trading post – distinction between hoard money (actual, tangible money that the dragons possess) and vault money (intangible currency that represents experience, power, and success), and what each can buy – deadly coli fights – breed-specific challenges[/indent] Since I'm starting off play with my progens, and they're a super gorgeous pair, I've made an exception for them in the coli death rules: they get one free faint, and if they die, they'll keep hanging around the lair as "spirits" instead of being exalted. No mercy for anyone else. :D [u]Trigger warnings[/u]: Sornieth can be a rough place, so this story will contain violence and death. Assume as a default that dragons, familiars, and other creatures can and will get hurt and die. I'll aim to put trigger warnings at the beginnings of chapters that contain disturbing material above and beyond that baseline, but there are so many individual triggers that I'm sure I don't know all of them. If I should inadvertently cause someone distress, I sincerely apologize. And with that, on we go! I hope you enjoy the story. I'm curious to find out what happens myself....
SheshusClan_banner.png

Story Thread
1. Introduction
2. Clan members
3. Chapter list
4. Recordkeeping

Rules can be found here

The wind combed through the tall grasses, bending them in rippling rows before releasing them to rise and then bow again, over and over. Those waves hissed and sang across the rolling plains, breaking only to curve around a place where the grass had been flattened before flowing on toward the boundless horizon.

The mirror curled up in the hollow stirred. She stood, stretched long and lazy, and the morning sunlight threw tigery grass-shadows across her white hide. Lifting her head, she scented the air curiously; she looked all about herself at the many shades of green, the blue sky, the white clouds scudding past overhead, all soft and yet somehow brilliant, and when she shifted her gaze, the currents of the wind became rivers and pools of color, rainbows in constant motion. She reshifted her sight and tilted her head to listen. Shh, went the wind in the grass, shhh-shhh, and "Shhh," she hissed, singing softly back to it, "Shh—sh-shu—sheshu!" She laughed suddenly, stretched again, and then bounded out of the hollow and went trotting off through the yielding grasses, eager to find out what the new day would bring.

Hello and welcome to the story of my clan! I wanted to start off the game with an element of challenge, so I'm doing a variant Nuzlocke (because I think those are pretty cool).

I got a little out of control with adapting and expanding the rules—what can I say; I'm a geek—so I've made a separate thread for them here. If you have any questions or comments on the rules, that's the place to put them. However, the tl;dr version is:

– limited dragon acquisition
– limited familiar acquisition and possession
– breeding is size dependent
– small chance of hatchling death
– no fairgrounds; limited trading post
– distinction between hoard money (actual, tangible money that the dragons possess) and vault money (intangible currency that represents experience, power, and success), and what each can buy
– deadly coli fights
– breed-specific challenges

Since I'm starting off play with my progens, and they're a super gorgeous pair, I've made an exception for them in the coli death rules: they get one free faint, and if they die, they'll keep hanging around the lair as "spirits" instead of being exalted. No mercy for anyone else. :D

Trigger warnings: Sornieth can be a rough place, so this story will contain violence and death. Assume as a default that dragons, familiars, and other creatures can and will get hurt and die. I'll aim to put trigger warnings at the beginnings of chapters that contain disturbing material above and beyond that baseline, but there are so many individual triggers that I'm sure I don't know all of them. If I should inadvertently cause someone distress, I sincerely apologize.

And with that, on we go! I hope you enjoy the story. I'm curious to find out what happens myself....

SheshusClan_profile.png
[center][size=6]Clan Members[/size][/center] [size=5]Active[/size] [rule] [columns] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=18511534][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/185116/18511534p.png[/img][/url] [nextcol][size=4]Godborn from the Windsinger's breath, Sheshu has a lot to learn about the world—and especially other dragons. Blunt, a bit crude, intensely curious about the world around her, and constantly hungry, she has yet to figure out little things like empathy, self-restraint, and personal boundaries.[/size] [/columns] [rule] [columns] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=18511535][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/185116/18511535p.png[/img][/url] [nextcol][size=4]Hatched from an abandoned egg and raised by a clan of skydancers, Tori is struggling to come to terms with his nature as a mirror. Though he can be gloomy and caught up in the past, he has a good heart and a great deal of patience with Sheshu's shenanigans.[/size] [/columns] [rule] [columns][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=18972566][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/189726/18972566p.png[/img][/url] [nextcol][size=4]Haunted by tragedy, Tamara has learned to fight, becoming a grimly efficient hunter. But will she ever feel joy again?[/size] [/columns] [rule] [img]http://www.firecat.net/Tsaarn/Sheshu_images/01-08-16_dragon-sizes.png[/img] [size=5]Departed[/size] [rule] [columns] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=18773784][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/187738/18773784p.png[/img][/url] [nextcol][size=4]Pink was found as a hatchling by Tori and Sheshu, who raised her. She left on Search once she was grown, to eventually end up with the [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=view&tab=userpage&id=34726]Clan of Dusk and Dawn[/url].[/size] [/columns] [rule]
Clan Members

Active
18511534p.png Godborn from the Windsinger's breath, Sheshu has a lot to learn about the world—and especially other dragons. Blunt, a bit crude, intensely curious about the world around her, and constantly hungry, she has yet to figure out little things like empathy, self-restraint, and personal boundaries.

18511535p.png Hatched from an abandoned egg and raised by a clan of skydancers, Tori is struggling to come to terms with his nature as a mirror. Though he can be gloomy and caught up in the past, he has a good heart and a great deal of patience with Sheshu's shenanigans.

18972566p.png Haunted by tragedy, Tamara has learned to fight, becoming a grimly efficient hunter. But will she ever feel joy again?

01-08-16_dragon-sizes.png

Departed
18773784p.png Pink was found as a hatchling by Tori and Sheshu, who raised her. She left on Search once she was grown, to eventually end up with the Clan of Dusk and Dawn.

SheshusClan_profile.png
Chapter List

Chapter List

SheshusClan_profile.png
Recordkeeping

Current hoard money
100,212t

Caches
none

Familiar locations
Forest at steppe camp
– Autumn Dryad [Tamara]

Recordkeeping

Current hoard money
100,212t

Caches
none

Familiar locations
Forest at steppe camp
– Autumn Dryad [Tamara]

SheshusClan_profile.png
[center][size=7]1[/size] [size=5][i]Meetings in the Grass[/i][/size][/center] [rule] [center][img]http://flightrising.com/image_generators/dragonpic2.php?body=2&wing=35&style=3&gender=0&ages=1&prig=0&secg=0&tert=60&elem=3&tertgene=0&spec=prev.png[/img] [/center] A louder, more purposeful than usual rustling in the grass alerted Tori, and he looked up from where he lay stretched out along a broad, flat, sun-warmed rock, the second of the brace of gray squirrels he’d caught earlier resting between his paws. The grass before him parted with a decisive swish, and then another mirror was staring at him. A female, he realized after a startled moment. Her head was up, and she was regarding him with interest, but not with aggression—or at least he thought so. Then her eyes fell on the squirrel, and she started visibly salivating. “Hey,” she said. “You gonna eat that?” [i]I was about to[/i], he almost answered, but then it occurred to him that it might be worthwhile to make an offer of friendship, or at least civility, to this might- or might-not-be dangerous stranger. With a sigh, he picked the squirrel up in his jaws and tossed it toward her. “Here,” he said. She sprang forward out of the clump of grass and snatched the squirrel neatly out of the air, gulping it down in a couple of bites. Now that she was out in the open, he realized that she was substantially bigger than he was; she was nearly a meter longer, and her wings were almost twice the size of his. [i]Yikes[/i]. She was white, like him, with tawny gold wings and the pale green eyes of a Wind dragon. Licking her chops, she returned her attention to him. “Thanks! So…who are you?” “My name’s Tori. I’m from,” [i]Zephyrdance Clan[/i], but not anymore, no, “…well, I used to live with a clan not far from here, but now I’m out on my own. So.” “Yeah?” She didn’t seem curious enough about his awkwardly trailing off answer to push for more details, and he relaxed a little. “I’m on my own too.” She laughed, a rough but not unpleasant bark. “In fact, you’re the first dragon I've ever seen.” “Wha?” He stared at her blankly as he tried to make sense of her words. How was that even possible? Where had she been all her life? Had she been…raised by Beastclans? And he’d thought that being a mirror brought up among skydancers was hard…. “Hey, are you still hungry?” she blurted, breaking into his confusion. “I’m still hungry. Let’s go look for more food!” Since she’d eaten half his catch, he was definitely still hungry, and since she still seemed inclined to be friendly, it made sense to go hunting together. “Ah, okay.” He rose to his feet and stretched, then started and jumped off the rock to trot after her as she paced off into the grass. “Hey! What’s your name?” “I’m Sheshu!” she called back to him. Spreading her wings, she leaped into the air, and he was startled into following her, the impulse more instinct than thought. She skimmed the tops of the waving grasses for several long, even strokes, her gaze fixed on the ground below, then banked upward, stalled, and dropped sharply back to earth, pouncing onto some sound or movement hidden among the greenery. She flew like he did. Straight and low and slow, not delicately, not with the ethereal grace and joyful acrobatics that he would never be able to master with his heavy body and clumsy wings. His heart jolted strangely, and he swooped after the other mirror with a newfound energy. [center][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/761.png[/img] [/center] Tori counted their day of hunting as a great success. They’d found enough small grass-dwellers—mostly squirrels, mice, and snakes—to satisfy themselves and even have a bit left over (though it was hard to resist the urge to stuff themselves with every bit of tasty meat). Sheshu proved to be an amazing hunter, strong, wind-quick, and with keen senses, and Tori, honestly, thought he wasn’t doing so badly himself. With the edge taken off her hunger by that first squirrel, Sheshu was intensely curious about each type of prey they came across, investigating it as though she’d never seen it before—”Hey, is this a snake? This is a snake, right?”—before before bolting it down. She seemed most taken by the sparkly mice, although her interest certainly didn’t keep them from ending up in her belly. Satisfied at last, the two mirrors found a place to settle for the night, a low bank that they could curl up under and feel something safe and solid at their backs. Someone had been there before, though not recently—they discovered some half-buried old rugs as well as a rusty tool with two sharp points on one end. Tori picked the tool up in his jaws and swung it experimentally, feeling the weight of the metal head. [indent][i]Twisting his head around, he swung the heavy branch through the air, the drag of its weight wrenching at his tensed neck muscles. Back and forth he whipped it, up and then down to smack against the bare earth, again and again, hard, harder,[/i] harder, [i]as he spun in a whirling dance of frustration. The impacts jarred his skull, but they didn't knock the fire out of his head or his raging heart. He was never going to be right, he was never going to be good enough—and he’d only been trying to help, to hunt for himself. They didn’t have to look at him like that when he came back carrying his kill…. “Tori—”[/i][/indent] “Ha ha—hey!” The voice was Sheshu’s, not the speaker in his memory. “Somebody’s gonna lose some eyes if you keep that up.” “ ‘eah. ‘ight.” He spat out the tool, turned, and padded toward where Sheshu lay on her back, grinning up at him as she wriggled around on the mussed-up heap of rugs. He paused, watching her uneasily. They’d only just met, and he had no idea what she was expecting from him. Skydancers cuddled up together at any excuse. Mirrors didn’t, did they? And the pile of rugs was pretty small…. “Okay, well, g’night.” Sheshu yawned hugely, snorted, and then seemed to fall asleep almost at once. Tori stared at her for a few more moments, discomfited, and then sighed. Moving to what felt like a close but respectfully safe distance, he curled up into a more-or-less comfortable ball on the ground and closed his eyes. [center][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/761.png[/img] [/center] “Hey, hey, hey!” Sheshu’s hiss right in his ear woke him—he scrabbled upright in a panic, and Sheshu’s clawed foot pushed him down again. “Lookit that, what is that? It’s glowing!” He twisted under Sheshu’s foot until he could raise his head enough to see where she was looking. A cluster of tiny, golden lights was moving along the bank—fireflies, he thought at first, but they didn’t wink, and they moved all together in short bursts of motion, interspersed with pauses. He flicked his gaze to heat-sight, and at the center of those lights a small, plump, four-legged body took form. “It’s a mouse,” he whispered. “It's big though, yeah?” Sheshu whispered back. “Y’think it's the whatsit, the mother of the ones we ate?” “No, no, those were fieldmice. This is…I think it’s a glowing pocket mouse. One of the members of my, uh, of my clan had one for a familiar.” “What's a familiar?” Sheshu’s eyes remained locked on the mouse as it scuttled nearer, her haunches shifting as though in preparation to pounce. “It’s like a companion. They, uh, help you. By finding things for you, and sometimes with magic.” Once again, Tori marveled at the things Sheshu didn't know. Her crouch deepened, and he added hastily, “Maybe we can tame this one as a familiar.” Sheshu sat back, momentarily distracted from the hunt. “How do we do that?” “Just sit and let it come to us.” Tori eyed the approaching rodent. Its start-and-stop movements screamed of prey, but there was also an intentness about it, as if it was looking for something. It came to just about springing range, then sat up on its haunches, its spark-tipped whiskers twitching. “Heyyyy, mousie, mousie,” Sheshu crooned. “Gooood mousie.” Tori wondered what that low rumble sounded like to a mouse. Apparently not very frightening, at least to this mouse, because it dropped to all fours again and scurried right up to Sheshu. It was indeed much larger than the fieldmice, closer to the size of a big rat, but still tiny next to the mirror dragon. Sheshu put her head down, and the two creatures sniffed at each other with great interest. “Ha. So it looks like you have a familiar,” Tori said. And he wasn’t really jealous. Much. “Yeah.” Sheshu watched the mouse as it began exploring their resting place, nosing at and burrowing into the pile of rugs. “So I guess I can’t eat it now, right?” “[i]Right[/i].” [center]Previous chapter | [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/1656016#15878259]Next chapter[/url][/center] [rule] Got a familiar on my very first gathering turn. *sweatdrop* [img]http://www.firecat.net/Tsaarn/Sheshu_images/11-26-15_gathering.png[/img]

Meetings in the Grass

dragonpic2.php?body=2&wing=35&style=3&gender=0&ages=1&prig=0&secg=0&tert=60&elem=3&tertgene=0&spec=prev.png

A louder, more purposeful than usual rustling in the grass alerted Tori, and he looked up from where he lay stretched out along a broad, flat, sun-warmed rock, the second of the brace of gray squirrels he’d caught earlier resting between his paws. The grass before him parted with a decisive swish, and then another mirror was staring at him.

A female, he realized after a startled moment. Her head was up, and she was regarding him with interest, but not with aggression—or at least he thought so.

Then her eyes fell on the squirrel, and she started visibly salivating.

“Hey,” she said. “You gonna eat that?”

I was about to, he almost answered, but then it occurred to him that it might be worthwhile to make an offer of friendship, or at least civility, to this might- or might-not-be dangerous stranger. With a sigh, he picked the squirrel up in his jaws and tossed it toward her. “Here,” he said.

She sprang forward out of the clump of grass and snatched the squirrel neatly out of the air, gulping it down in a couple of bites. Now that she was out in the open, he realized that she was substantially bigger than he was; she was nearly a meter longer, and her wings were almost twice the size of his. Yikes. She was white, like him, with tawny gold wings and the pale green eyes of a Wind dragon.

Licking her chops, she returned her attention to him. “Thanks! So…who are you?”

“My name’s Tori. I’m from,” Zephyrdance Clan, but not anymore, no, “…well, I used to live with a clan not far from here, but now I’m out on my own. So.”

“Yeah?” She didn’t seem curious enough about his awkwardly trailing off answer to push for more details, and he relaxed a little. “I’m on my own too.” She laughed, a rough but not unpleasant bark. “In fact, you’re the first dragon I've ever seen.”

“Wha?” He stared at her blankly as he tried to make sense of her words. How was that even possible? Where had she been all her life? Had she been…raised by Beastclans?

And he’d thought that being a mirror brought up among skydancers was hard….

“Hey, are you still hungry?” she blurted, breaking into his confusion. “I’m still hungry. Let’s go look for more food!”

Since she’d eaten half his catch, he was definitely still hungry, and since she still seemed inclined to be friendly, it made sense to go hunting together. “Ah, okay.” He rose to his feet and stretched, then started and jumped off the rock to trot after her as she paced off into the grass. “Hey! What’s your name?”

“I’m Sheshu!” she called back to him. Spreading her wings, she leaped into the air, and he was startled into following her, the impulse more instinct than thought. She skimmed the tops of the waving grasses for several long, even strokes, her gaze fixed on the ground below, then banked upward, stalled, and dropped sharply back to earth, pouncing onto some sound or movement hidden among the greenery.

She flew like he did. Straight and low and slow, not delicately, not with the ethereal grace and joyful acrobatics that he would never be able to master with his heavy body and clumsy wings. His heart jolted strangely, and he swooped after the other mirror with a newfound energy.

761.png

Tori counted their day of hunting as a great success. They’d found enough small grass-dwellers—mostly squirrels, mice, and snakes—to satisfy themselves and even have a bit left over (though it was hard to resist the urge to stuff themselves with every bit of tasty meat). Sheshu proved to be an amazing hunter, strong, wind-quick, and with keen senses, and Tori, honestly, thought he wasn’t doing so badly himself. With the edge taken off her hunger by that first squirrel, Sheshu was intensely curious about each type of prey they came across, investigating it as though she’d never seen it before—”Hey, is this a snake? This is a snake, right?”—before before bolting it down. She seemed most taken by the sparkly mice, although her interest certainly didn’t keep them from ending up in her belly.

Satisfied at last, the two mirrors found a place to settle for the night, a low bank that they could curl up under and feel something safe and solid at their backs. Someone had been there before, though not recently—they discovered some half-buried old rugs as well as a rusty tool with two sharp points on one end. Tori picked the tool up in his jaws and swung it experimentally, feeling the weight of the metal head.

Twisting his head around, he swung the heavy branch through the air, the drag of its weight wrenching at his tensed neck muscles. Back and forth he whipped it, up and then down to smack against the bare earth, again and again, hard, harder, harder, as he spun in a whirling dance of frustration. The impacts jarred his skull, but they didn't knock the fire out of his head or his raging heart. He was never going to be right, he was never going to be good enough—and he’d only been trying to help, to hunt for himself. They didn’t have to look at him like that when he came back carrying his kill….

“Tori—”

“Ha ha—hey!” The voice was Sheshu’s, not the speaker in his memory. “Somebody’s gonna lose some eyes if you keep that up.”

“ ‘eah. ‘ight.” He spat out the tool, turned, and padded toward where Sheshu lay on her back, grinning up at him as she wriggled around on the mussed-up heap of rugs. He paused, watching her uneasily. They’d only just met, and he had no idea what she was expecting from him. Skydancers cuddled up together at any excuse. Mirrors didn’t, did they? And the pile of rugs was pretty small….

“Okay, well, g’night.” Sheshu yawned hugely, snorted, and then seemed to fall asleep almost at once. Tori stared at her for a few more moments, discomfited, and then sighed. Moving to what felt like a close but respectfully safe distance, he curled up into a more-or-less comfortable ball on the ground and closed his eyes.

761.png

“Hey, hey, hey!” Sheshu’s hiss right in his ear woke him—he scrabbled upright in a panic, and Sheshu’s clawed foot pushed him down again. “Lookit that, what is that? It’s glowing!”

He twisted under Sheshu’s foot until he could raise his head enough to see where she was looking. A cluster of tiny, golden lights was moving along the bank—fireflies, he thought at first, but they didn’t wink, and they moved all together in short bursts of motion, interspersed with pauses. He flicked his gaze to heat-sight, and at the center of those lights a small, plump, four-legged body took form.

“It’s a mouse,” he whispered.

“It's big though, yeah?” Sheshu whispered back. “Y’think it's the whatsit, the mother of the ones we ate?”

“No, no, those were fieldmice. This is…I think it’s a glowing pocket mouse. One of the members of my, uh, of my clan had one for a familiar.”

“What's a familiar?” Sheshu’s eyes remained locked on the mouse as it scuttled nearer, her haunches shifting as though in preparation to pounce.

“It’s like a companion. They, uh, help you. By finding things for you, and sometimes with magic.” Once again, Tori marveled at the things Sheshu didn't know. Her crouch deepened, and he added hastily, “Maybe we can tame this one as a familiar.”

Sheshu sat back, momentarily distracted from the hunt. “How do we do that?”

“Just sit and let it come to us.” Tori eyed the approaching rodent. Its start-and-stop movements screamed of prey, but there was also an intentness about it, as if it was looking for something. It came to just about springing range, then sat up on its haunches, its spark-tipped whiskers twitching.

“Heyyyy, mousie, mousie,” Sheshu crooned. “Gooood mousie.” Tori wondered what that low rumble sounded like to a mouse. Apparently not very frightening, at least to this mouse, because it dropped to all fours again and scurried right up to Sheshu. It was indeed much larger than the fieldmice, closer to the size of a big rat, but still tiny next to the mirror dragon. Sheshu put her head down, and the two creatures sniffed at each other with great interest.

“Ha. So it looks like you have a familiar,” Tori said. And he wasn’t really jealous.

Much.

“Yeah.” Sheshu watched the mouse as it began exploring their resting place, nosing at and burrowing into the pile of rugs. “So I guess I can’t eat it now, right?”

Right.”

Previous chapter | Next chapter

Got a familiar on my very first gathering turn. *sweatdrop*

11-26-15_gathering.png

SheshusClan_profile.png
I really like your characters. :) Can you add me to your pinglist?
I really like your characters. :) Can you add me to your pinglist?
@tsaarn

Two white prim mirrors as progen? That's amazing! If you have a ping list please add me :3
@tsaarn

Two white prim mirrors as progen? That's amazing! If you have a ping list please add me :3
natureh5.png
@Neige @Phenolphthalein

Sure thing! I've added you both to my very first pinglist. :D

And Neige, I know! At first I was actually disappointed--I was like, "They're the same? How boring." But then I realized how rare that was! And I've totally fallen in love with them.
@Neige @Phenolphthalein

Sure thing! I've added you both to my very first pinglist. :D

And Neige, I know! At first I was actually disappointed--I was like, "They're the same? How boring." But then I realized how rare that was! And I've totally fallen in love with them.
SheshusClan_profile.png
[center][size=1]@Neige @Phenolphthalein [/size][/center] [center][size=7]2[/size] [size=5][i]By Any Other Name[/i][/size][/center] [rule] [right][size=2][i][color=red]TW:[/color] An unpleasant corpse. Also, bees.[/i][/size][/right] [center][img]http://flightrising.com/image_generators/dragonpic2.php?body=2&wing=35&style=3&gender=0&ages=1&prig=0&secg=0&tert=60&elem=3&tertgene=0&spec=prev.png[/img] [/center] It was a low-striking sunbeam that woke Tori the next morning—first a persistent warmth on his face and then, when he finally pried open one eye, a stabbing dazzle that stung him out of any lingering remnant of drowsiness. Blinking, he stood up and shook the stiffness out of his limbs. It had been cool overnight, which made him think about how the season was turning on toward winter—the Plateau’s winds were generally balmy enough that it never got truly frigid, but it could definitely get chilly, especially when the nights were long and dark. Maybe he should think about where he was going, where he might find shelter. Where...[i]they[/i] were going. Sheshu’s eyes had opened as soon as he started moving; they watched him, half-lidded, a little too intent to truly be called lazy but still showing no sign that she was in any hurry to get up. It was only once he’d scratched the morning itches and licked the corners of his eyes clean and started slinking off to take care of stinkier business that Sheshu began to stir. By the time he came back, the pile of rugs lay abandoned, and she was sitting up on top of the earthen bank, staring off into the distance. With an easy leap and a half flap of his wings, Tori joined her. The ever-present breeze fanned at their faces; it had shifted about to come at them from the south, and as he scented at it, he half imagined that he could already smell fading autumn leaves and the storm-tang of the southern ocean. It sent a small thrill through him—of anxiety or anticipation, he couldn’t say. “D’you ever have the feeling,” Sheshu murmured suddenly, “that you’re supposed to be going somewhere?” There was something odd about her tone; it was abrupt as always, but strangely subdued. The shift threw him off balance, startled a wry snort out of him. “We’re all supposed to be going somewhere,” he said. “That’s what Wind dragons do—we go where the winds take us.” How did that song go? [i]Winds of the world, winds of the heart, winds of the soul….[/i] “Yeah, but like—somewhere in specific?” Sheshu gave a huffing chuckle and then shook her head, her wings twitching as she shrugged off that moment of introspection. “Ah, well, I guess I’ll figure it out.” A rustle seized both of their attentions in the same instant, and they jerked around to stare at the tufty grass along the lip of the bank. An aggravated-looking mouse pulled itself up through the grasses, squeaked at them, and then began irately grooming its whiskers. “Ha, ha!—sorry, Squeaky, but ya snooze, ya get left behind.” Turning back, Sheshu yawned into the breeze, then snapped her jaws shut with a grin. “So hey, Tori, let’s have some of those left-over squirrels, and then we can take a look around this place. Whaddya say?” It didn’t seem like a bad idea, even if it didn’t bring them any closer to answering their questions, so Tori nodded and let Sheshu lead the way. [center][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/199.png[/img] [/center] They set off across the grasslands, having left Sheshu’s mouse behind at their overnight camp (“Guard the rugs, Squeaky—ha!”). Their casual nosing about didn’t uncover any prey, although oddly enough they did find a scattering of more rugs, as well as some other junk. The mystery of where those had come from was solved when they came across the ruin of an old cart. Sheshu showed only a passing interest in it, but Tori’s curiosity was piqued. Who would have been traveling out here? Not many dragons used carts or wagons, preferring instead to fly their wares over long distances—could it have been Beastclans? He didn’t think there was any ’Clan territory nearby. The wind-weathered cart held no scent clues; he cast about farther, and was rewarded when he stumbled across a faded track. “Aha.” “What’d you find?” Sheshu was at his shoulder in an instant; he hadn’t realized she’d been following him that closely. “Look, it’s an old road.” “Roooad.” Sheshu rolled the word around in her mouth like an unfamiliar flavor, and Tori sighed inwardly, trying to think of how best to explain. “It’s like a...path that landtravelers follow.” Was a road really any different than a path? Tori groped after a distinction. “It’s...see, those are wheel tracks.” “Funny tracks.” Sheshu stared down at them. “Do wheels taste good?” “What—no. They’re—” Trying to explain suddenly seemed far too complicated. He thought of taking her back to the ruined cart, but then he’d have to get into what the broken wheels were actually [i]supposed[/i] to look like, and how they worked, and—just, no. “Never mind. They’re not something to eat, anyway.” “Eh.” Losing interest, Sheshu began trotting along the trail, and Tori followed the idle swish of her tail, the swing of her narrow hips that for some reason he found distracting enough that when she stopped short he nearly ran into her. Her head was up, listening, and then he heard it too: a low, thrumming buzz. The back of his shoulders prickled. “Trouble,” he muttered, and Sheshu canted her head toward him, although she remained focused on the sound. Sinking down, she padded forward in a low, slow slink, and he shadowed her, looking all around for any sign of motion. It was the buzzing that changed first, though, becoming louder and sharper, clearer. “Here they come,” he said, just as several large insect forms flew up above one of the rolling swells of the grasslands. “They’re bumbles—watch out, they have enough magic to zap—” [i]“Hrrar!”[/i] Sheshu launched herself with gleeful ferocity at the approaching bees, and Tori hissed in annoyance. She [i]could[/i] have waited another moment for him to finish. The fight was fierce and confusing, as the two mirrors sprang and snapped and dodged and the bumbles darted in and out of reach, firing off their magic blasts. It was over almost before Tori knew it; bewildered, he turned in a circle to see if there were any more enemies, staggering a little from a particularly hard blow to the head. Sheshu was grinning viciously—she snatched up one of the fallen insects in her jaws, shook it with triumphant delight, chomped down into it, and then spat out a mouthful of fuzz and crunchy bits. “Blah!” “Are you all right?” His legs were getting steadier, and he moved closer to her. She wiped at her mouth, made a disgusted face, and then smirked at him. “That was fun! Let’s see if we can find some more.” “Let’s [i]not[/i],” Tori muttered as they set off again—but actually, he was rather proud of himself, a strange, hot feeling that welled up inside his chest as he thought about the fight and the fact that he’d not only survived but had taken down his fair share of targets. [i]Victory[/i]—he’d hardly even hunted for himself before he left the clan, and now he was not only providing food, he was killing dangerous enemies. He felt strong, and cunning, and— —[i]savage[/i]. He growled to himself, pushing aside that old, dry whisper, that judgment out of the past. Sheshu glanced over briefly at the sound, but said nothing. They did encounter a few more scattered bumbles, and as the fights progressed, they both became better at anticipating the bees’ movements, striking through their defenses, and working in coordination with each other. Tori found himself constantly scanning their surroundings as they wandered on, half-eager for more attackers. Despite his alertness, though, it was Sheshu who froze, half rose up on her back legs, and then dropped and bolted forward along the track, a long, low white streak flashing through the grasses. [i]“Ha!”[/i] Tori dashed after her, not even sure what she’d seen until he glimpsed some sort of bird flutter up above a low rise and then drop back out of sight. They left the track to cut straight up over the hill, and as they crested the top the scene became clear: a wagon, wrecked but not as ruinous as the other one, lay upside down next to the road. There was a dark lump, a body of some kind, farther down the track, but the attention of the birds—there was more than one, he realized—was on the wagon. They hovered about it, zipping forward to peck at the wood with their long, sharp beaks, sometimes fluttering upward only to swoop and dive back down—threatening each other or the wagon, he wasn’t quite sure. There wasn’t time for figuring anyway, just the dash, the wing-spread leap, jaws agape and claws extended, the soft, dying weight in his jaws and the angry skreeking of the other birds.... It was a hard fight, half aerial and half land bound, but eventually the last of the birds was flopping and expiring on the ground. Both mirrors were panting with pleasantly tired satisfaction as they rejoined each other at the wagon. Tori studied the vehicle—it looked as though a wheel had gone into a furrow or ditch, and then the whole thing had just rolled over. It must have been traveling fairly quickly at the time. He reached up, gave an undamaged wheel a spin, and watched it revolve. “This,” he told Sheshu, who was sprawled on the ground, resting, “is a wheel.” “Yeaaaah, I don’t think I’d be eating tha—ho, ho, [i]ho![/i] What’s this?” Sheshu rolled back up to her feet and lunged toward the wagon, thrusting her nose into the gap where the top didn’t quite lie flush against the ground and snuffling eagerly. Tori heard a scratching, a rustle, but before he could make out what it was—or decide if he should pull Sheshu back before some new enemy bit her on the muzzle—Sheshu curled her claws under the wagon’s boards and heaved it upward. The vehicle tipped up and then over, falling onto its side with a heavy thud, and Tori stared at the little white dragon that was revealed underneath it. It was a hatchling—quite a young one, barely out of the nest. Little, he’d called it, and it was certainly much smaller than either of them, but it dwarfed the skydancer hatchlings he’d known. It had relatively large, leathery wings in a purplish gray color; its underbelly was a muted pink, and its pale green eyes were fixed on Sheshu, wide with alarm. Letting out a high-pitched creaking squawk, it spread its wings and stomped its forefeet, the fanlike fins on either side of its face opening and closing. “Woohoo!” Snatching the hatchling up in her foreclaws, Sheshu sat up on her haunches and held it high in the air, grinning as it kicked its back feet futilely and made shrill complaining noises. It tried to bite at her foreleg—she swung it around, then rolled it onto the ground and started tickling its stomach. “Look at this little guy—” she sniffed it over, “—uh, girl.” “What’s she doing way out here?” Tori wondered. His gaze slid toward the body farther down the road. No dragon, that. “Let’s call her Pink.” Tori glanced back at Sheshu. The hatchling’s noises had subsided to a squarble that sounded more indignant than alarmed or angry; she had grabbed one of Sheshu’s hands and was gnawing on it in something closer to play-biting. Tori sighed. “You can’t call her Pink.” “Why not? She’s pink.” “Her belly is pink.” This was not an effective counter argument. “Look, she’s a [i]guardian[/i], and—” [i]Big, powerful, dignified,[/i]his mind whirled: again, too much to explain. “Couldn’t you at least call her ‘Rose’?” Sheshu frowned. “Rose?” “It’s a,” he faltered, “it’s a flower.” A noble and distinguished flower, at least. Sheshu scrunched up her muzzle, looking highly dubious. Sitting up, she gazed down at the hatchling, who was lying on her back, squirming wildly and kicking her tiny clawed feet in the air. “Whaddya think, little fart?” Sheshu said. “Do you want to be Rose, or Pink?” With a heave, the hatchling rolled herself over and up into a sitting position and stared at Sheshu with an air of intense inquiry. “Rooose,” Sheshu drew out the word long and slow, “or Piiiiink?” “P’i’k!” the hatchling squeaked in her throaty little voice, with a little bounce-pounce of excitement, and it was decided. “Okay, she’s Pink,” Tori sighed. It could’ve been much worse, he supposed. Sheshu could have named her Squawky. Or Fart. As Sheshu laughed and went back to playing with Pink, Tori padded over to the dead body. It was largish wingless creature that had a four-legged lower body and an upright front portion with two additional limbs. Long hair grew on its head and tail, but otherwise it was covered with a short, dark pelt. It wore a cloak, now wrapped in a hopeless tangle about the upper body, arm bracers, a quiver of arrows, and the remnants of what looked like a leather harness; a broken bow lay on the ground a little distance away. Tori cast about the area, sniffing, but he found no signs of any other creatures. By the time he came back to the corpse, Sheshu had wandered over, the hatchling bumbling along in her wake. “That’s not a dragon,” Sheshu said, tilting her head curiously. “It’s a centaur. They’re one of the Beastclans—the ‘Clans, they’re sort of in this weird place between the animals and monsters and us. They’re intelligent and they organize themselves into groups like we do, but they’re not dragons.” Sheshu was eying the distinctive swellings on the creature’s head and flanks. “Bumbles got it, huh.” “Yeah. Look.” Tori gestured at its hind legs. “It looks like it broke a leg when the cart went over—it tried to run after that, but it didn’t get far.” In addition to the shattered leg and bumble zaps, there was a cavity carved or gnawed into of its abdomen. Sheshu poked at the opening, then stuck her claws into it and pulled out a dripping chunk of honeycomb. With an incredulous, faintly outraged expression, she sniffed at the honey, flicked her tongue gingerly across it, and then made an exaggerated gagging noise. “[i]Ew![/i] Who ruins meat by smearing sweet stuff all over it?” “Bumbles, I guess.” Tori shrugged. Sheshu spat to one side in disgust, then glanced down at Pink who had come over to investigate and was staring at the honeycomb with huge eyes. Sheshu held the honeycomb out to her—Pink snuffled at it, then grabbed it with both foreclaws and stuffed it into her mouth with a ravenous [i]umngfh![/i] At some point, Tori figured, he’d better tell Sheshu that she should be more careful about letting a hatchling put strange things in her mouth, food or not. But a little honey was probably harmless, and Pink looked laughably adorable with that golden stickiness smeared all over her tiny, blissful face. Besides, all things considered, he should probably just be glad that Sheshu wasn’t trying to [i]eat[/i] the hatchling. [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/1656016#15723230]Previous chapter[/url] | [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/1656016/2#16243342]Next chapter[/url][/center] [rule] Meet Pink, the first addition to the clan! (Rules blah-blah about her acquisition [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/1656036/2#15812918]here[/url].) [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=18773784] [img]http://flightrising.com/image_generators/dragonpic2.php?body=2&wing=4&style=2&gender=1&ages=0&prig=0&secg=2&tert=67&elem=3&tertgene=5&spec=prev.png[/img] [/url][/center] (I didn't manage to get this chapter finished and posted before Pink grew up, so I had to use the Scrying Workshop image so you could see her full cuteness. :D ) Hopefully now that work has stopped punching me in the face, I'll be able to keep up with this a little better.... Edited to add two things: 1. No, I did not set out to have an entire lair of white dragons (LOL). 2. Sheshu should not be allowed to name anything. Ever. (Well, except herself...she did a pretty good job with that.)

By Any Other Name

TW: An unpleasant corpse. Also, bees.

dragonpic2.php?body=2&wing=35&style=3&gender=0&ages=1&prig=0&secg=0&tert=60&elem=3&tertgene=0&spec=prev.png

It was a low-striking sunbeam that woke Tori the next morning—first a persistent warmth on his face and then, when he finally pried open one eye, a stabbing dazzle that stung him out of any lingering remnant of drowsiness. Blinking, he stood up and shook the stiffness out of his limbs. It had been cool overnight, which made him think about how the season was turning on toward winter—the Plateau’s winds were generally balmy enough that it never got truly frigid, but it could definitely get chilly, especially when the nights were long and dark. Maybe he should think about where he was going, where he might find shelter.

Where...they were going.

Sheshu’s eyes had opened as soon as he started moving; they watched him, half-lidded, a little too intent to truly be called lazy but still showing no sign that she was in any hurry to get up. It was only once he’d scratched the morning itches and licked the corners of his eyes clean and started slinking off to take care of stinkier business that Sheshu began to stir. By the time he came back, the pile of rugs lay abandoned, and she was sitting up on top of the earthen bank, staring off into the distance.

With an easy leap and a half flap of his wings, Tori joined her. The ever-present breeze fanned at their faces; it had shifted about to come at them from the south, and as he scented at it, he half imagined that he could already smell fading autumn leaves and the storm-tang of the southern ocean. It sent a small thrill through him—of anxiety or anticipation, he couldn’t say.

“D’you ever have the feeling,” Sheshu murmured suddenly, “that you’re supposed to be going somewhere?”

There was something odd about her tone; it was abrupt as always, but strangely subdued. The shift threw him off balance, startled a wry snort out of him.

“We’re all supposed to be going somewhere,” he said. “That’s what Wind dragons do—we go where the winds take us.” How did that song go? Winds of the world, winds of the heart, winds of the soul….

“Yeah, but like—somewhere in specific?” Sheshu gave a huffing chuckle and then shook her head, her wings twitching as she shrugged off that moment of introspection. “Ah, well, I guess I’ll figure it out.”

A rustle seized both of their attentions in the same instant, and they jerked around to stare at the tufty grass along the lip of the bank. An aggravated-looking mouse pulled itself up through the grasses, squeaked at them, and then began irately grooming its whiskers.

“Ha, ha!—sorry, Squeaky, but ya snooze, ya get left behind.” Turning back, Sheshu yawned into the breeze, then snapped her jaws shut with a grin. “So hey, Tori, let’s have some of those left-over squirrels, and then we can take a look around this place. Whaddya say?”

It didn’t seem like a bad idea, even if it didn’t bring them any closer to answering their questions, so Tori nodded and let Sheshu lead the way.

199.png

They set off across the grasslands, having left Sheshu’s mouse behind at their overnight camp (“Guard the rugs, Squeaky—ha!”). Their casual nosing about didn’t uncover any prey, although oddly enough they did find a scattering of more rugs, as well as some other junk. The mystery of where those had come from was solved when they came across the ruin of an old cart. Sheshu showed only a passing interest in it, but Tori’s curiosity was piqued. Who would have been traveling out here? Not many dragons used carts or wagons, preferring instead to fly their wares over long distances—could it have been Beastclans? He didn’t think there was any ’Clan territory nearby. The wind-weathered cart held no scent clues; he cast about farther, and was rewarded when he stumbled across a faded track. “Aha.”

“What’d you find?” Sheshu was at his shoulder in an instant; he hadn’t realized she’d been following him that closely.

“Look, it’s an old road.”

“Roooad.” Sheshu rolled the word around in her mouth like an unfamiliar flavor, and Tori sighed inwardly, trying to think of how best to explain.

“It’s like a...path that landtravelers follow.” Was a road really any different than a path? Tori groped after a distinction. “It’s...see, those are wheel tracks.”

“Funny tracks.” Sheshu stared down at them. “Do wheels taste good?”

“What—no. They’re—” Trying to explain suddenly seemed far too complicated. He thought of taking her back to the ruined cart, but then he’d have to get into what the broken wheels were actually supposed to look like, and how they worked, and—just, no. “Never mind. They’re not something to eat, anyway.”

“Eh.” Losing interest, Sheshu began trotting along the trail, and Tori followed the idle swish of her tail, the swing of her narrow hips that for some reason he found distracting enough that when she stopped short he nearly ran into her. Her head was up, listening, and then he heard it too: a low, thrumming buzz. The back of his shoulders prickled.

“Trouble,” he muttered, and Sheshu canted her head toward him, although she remained focused on the sound. Sinking down, she padded forward in a low, slow slink, and he shadowed her, looking all around for any sign of motion. It was the buzzing that changed first, though, becoming louder and sharper, clearer. “Here they come,” he said, just as several large insect forms flew up above one of the rolling swells of the grasslands. “They’re bumbles—watch out, they have enough magic to zap—”

“Hrrar!” Sheshu launched herself with gleeful ferocity at the approaching bees, and Tori hissed in annoyance. She could have waited another moment for him to finish.

The fight was fierce and confusing, as the two mirrors sprang and snapped and dodged and the bumbles darted in and out of reach, firing off their magic blasts. It was over almost before Tori knew it; bewildered, he turned in a circle to see if there were any more enemies, staggering a little from a particularly hard blow to the head. Sheshu was grinning viciously—she snatched up one of the fallen insects in her jaws, shook it with triumphant delight, chomped down into it, and then spat out a mouthful of fuzz and crunchy bits. “Blah!”

“Are you all right?” His legs were getting steadier, and he moved closer to her. She wiped at her mouth, made a disgusted face, and then smirked at him.

“That was fun! Let’s see if we can find some more.”

“Let’s not,” Tori muttered as they set off again—but actually, he was rather proud of himself, a strange, hot feeling that welled up inside his chest as he thought about the fight and the fact that he’d not only survived but had taken down his fair share of targets. Victory—he’d hardly even hunted for himself before he left the clan, and now he was not only providing food, he was killing dangerous enemies. He felt strong, and cunning, and—

savage.

He growled to himself, pushing aside that old, dry whisper, that judgment out of the past. Sheshu glanced over briefly at the sound, but said nothing.

They did encounter a few more scattered bumbles, and as the fights progressed, they both became better at anticipating the bees’ movements, striking through their defenses, and working in coordination with each other. Tori found himself constantly scanning their surroundings as they wandered on, half-eager for more attackers. Despite his alertness, though, it was Sheshu who froze, half rose up on her back legs, and then dropped and bolted forward along the track, a long, low white streak flashing through the grasses. “Ha!”

Tori dashed after her, not even sure what she’d seen until he glimpsed some sort of bird flutter up above a low rise and then drop back out of sight. They left the track to cut straight up over the hill, and as they crested the top the scene became clear: a wagon, wrecked but not as ruinous as the other one, lay upside down next to the road. There was a dark lump, a body of some kind, farther down the track, but the attention of the birds—there was more than one, he realized—was on the wagon. They hovered about it, zipping forward to peck at the wood with their long, sharp beaks, sometimes fluttering upward only to swoop and dive back down—threatening each other or the wagon, he wasn’t quite sure. There wasn’t time for figuring anyway, just the dash, the wing-spread leap, jaws agape and claws extended, the soft, dying weight in his jaws and the angry skreeking of the other birds....

It was a hard fight, half aerial and half land bound, but eventually the last of the birds was flopping and expiring on the ground. Both mirrors were panting with pleasantly tired satisfaction as they rejoined each other at the wagon. Tori studied the vehicle—it looked as though a wheel had gone into a furrow or ditch, and then the whole thing had just rolled over. It must have been traveling fairly quickly at the time. He reached up, gave an undamaged wheel a spin, and watched it revolve. “This,” he told Sheshu, who was sprawled on the ground, resting, “is a wheel.”

“Yeaaaah, I don’t think I’d be eating tha—ho, ho, ho! What’s this?” Sheshu rolled back up to her feet and lunged toward the wagon, thrusting her nose into the gap where the top didn’t quite lie flush against the ground and snuffling eagerly. Tori heard a scratching, a rustle, but before he could make out what it was—or decide if he should pull Sheshu back before some new enemy bit her on the muzzle—Sheshu curled her claws under the wagon’s boards and heaved it upward. The vehicle tipped up and then over, falling onto its side with a heavy thud, and Tori stared at the little white dragon that was revealed underneath it.

It was a hatchling—quite a young one, barely out of the nest. Little, he’d called it, and it was certainly much smaller than either of them, but it dwarfed the skydancer hatchlings he’d known. It had relatively large, leathery wings in a purplish gray color; its underbelly was a muted pink, and its pale green eyes were fixed on Sheshu, wide with alarm. Letting out a high-pitched creaking squawk, it spread its wings and stomped its forefeet, the fanlike fins on either side of its face opening and closing.

“Woohoo!” Snatching the hatchling up in her foreclaws, Sheshu sat up on her haunches and held it high in the air, grinning as it kicked its back feet futilely and made shrill complaining noises. It tried to bite at her foreleg—she swung it around, then rolled it onto the ground and started tickling its stomach. “Look at this little guy—” she sniffed it over, “—uh, girl.”

“What’s she doing way out here?” Tori wondered. His gaze slid toward the body farther down the road. No dragon, that.

“Let’s call her Pink.” Tori glanced back at Sheshu. The hatchling’s noises had subsided to a squarble that sounded more indignant than alarmed or angry; she had grabbed one of Sheshu’s hands and was gnawing on it in something closer to play-biting.

Tori sighed. “You can’t call her Pink.”

“Why not? She’s pink.”

“Her belly is pink.” This was not an effective counter argument. “Look, she’s a guardian, and—” Big, powerful, dignified,his mind whirled: again, too much to explain. “Couldn’t you at least call her ‘Rose’?”

Sheshu frowned. “Rose?”

“It’s a,” he faltered, “it’s a flower.” A noble and distinguished flower, at least. Sheshu scrunched up her muzzle, looking highly dubious. Sitting up, she gazed down at the hatchling, who was lying on her back, squirming wildly and kicking her tiny clawed feet in the air.

“Whaddya think, little fart?” Sheshu said. “Do you want to be Rose, or Pink?” With a heave, the hatchling rolled herself over and up into a sitting position and stared at Sheshu with an air of intense inquiry. “Rooose,” Sheshu drew out the word long and slow, “or Piiiiink?”

“P’i’k!” the hatchling squeaked in her throaty little voice, with a little bounce-pounce of excitement, and it was decided.

“Okay, she’s Pink,” Tori sighed. It could’ve been much worse, he supposed. Sheshu could have named her Squawky. Or Fart.

As Sheshu laughed and went back to playing with Pink, Tori padded over to the dead body. It was largish wingless creature that had a four-legged lower body and an upright front portion with two additional limbs. Long hair grew on its head and tail, but otherwise it was covered with a short, dark pelt. It wore a cloak, now wrapped in a hopeless tangle about the upper body, arm bracers, a quiver of arrows, and the remnants of what looked like a leather harness; a broken bow lay on the ground a little distance away. Tori cast about the area, sniffing, but he found no signs of any other creatures. By the time he came back to the corpse, Sheshu had wandered over, the hatchling bumbling along in her wake.

“That’s not a dragon,” Sheshu said, tilting her head curiously.

“It’s a centaur. They’re one of the Beastclans—the ‘Clans, they’re sort of in this weird place between the animals and monsters and us. They’re intelligent and they organize themselves into groups like we do, but they’re not dragons.”

Sheshu was eying the distinctive swellings on the creature’s head and flanks. “Bumbles got it, huh.”

“Yeah. Look.” Tori gestured at its hind legs. “It looks like it broke a leg when the cart went over—it tried to run after that, but it didn’t get far.” In addition to the shattered leg and bumble zaps, there was a cavity carved or gnawed into of its abdomen. Sheshu poked at the opening, then stuck her claws into it and pulled out a dripping chunk of honeycomb. With an incredulous, faintly outraged expression, she sniffed at the honey, flicked her tongue gingerly across it, and then made an exaggerated gagging noise.

Ew! Who ruins meat by smearing sweet stuff all over it?”

“Bumbles, I guess.” Tori shrugged. Sheshu spat to one side in disgust, then glanced down at Pink who had come over to investigate and was staring at the honeycomb with huge eyes. Sheshu held the honeycomb out to her—Pink snuffled at it, then grabbed it with both foreclaws and stuffed it into her mouth with a ravenous umngfh!

At some point, Tori figured, he’d better tell Sheshu that she should be more careful about letting a hatchling put strange things in her mouth, food or not. But a little honey was probably harmless, and Pink looked laughably adorable with that golden stickiness smeared all over her tiny, blissful face.

Besides, all things considered, he should probably just be glad that Sheshu wasn’t trying to eat the hatchling.

Meet Pink, the first addition to the clan! (Rules blah-blah about her acquisition here.)

(I didn't manage to get this chapter finished and posted before Pink grew up, so I had to use the Scrying Workshop image so you could see her full cuteness. :D )

Hopefully now that work has stopped punching me in the face, I'll be able to keep up with this a little better....

Edited to add two things:

1. No, I did not set out to have an entire lair of white dragons (LOL).

2. Sheshu should not be allowed to name anything. Ever. (Well, except herself...she did a pretty good job with that.)
SheshusClan_profile.png
Haha, another white primary xD Pink is really cute though! x3
Haha, another white primary xD Pink is really cute though! x3
natureh5.png
1 2 3 4