Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Nuzlocke: The Arcane Exile
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 79 80
[center][size=5]The Arcane Exile[/size] [img]http://40.media.tumblr.com/396a2520d7506cd90a96c43aa87aeac4/tumblr_nfha24VvLA1sf301oo1_1280.jpg[/img][sub] Art by Batcrooks![/sub] [sub]Starting up my own Nuzlocke, yep. This will be told from the perspective of Wafer, my exiled pearlcatcher. The story ties in with clan lore I've been itching to write for ages. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=4892798] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/48928/4892798_350.png[/img] [/url] Here's our protag![/sub] Critique/comments/support are very welcome! It'd mean a lot to hear what you think. This story will also be posted on [url=http://arcaneexile.tumblr.com/]this blog[/url]. I hope you enjoy it... I'm eager to see how this plays out, myself. This is a baby version nuzlocke, only affecting dragons from Wafer onwards in my lair. I can only buy one egg a month. If a dragon faints in the coliseum, it dies. If I breed two dragons, a coin flip will determine whether each of their hatchlings lives or dies. More rules are found [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=mb&board=frd&id=1150203&page=1]here[/url], in the official thread. [b]Additional rules specific to my nuzlocke:[/b] If I get a team to level 25, a conflict with Pepper's clan is slated to happen. I can receive gift eggs, but gift eggs do not count toward breed changes. [b]Pinglist for updates:[/b] Moved offsite! ONWARDS TO THE STORY!
The Arcane Exile
tumblr_nfha24VvLA1sf301oo1_1280.jpg
Art by Batcrooks!

Starting up my own Nuzlocke, yep. This will be told from the perspective of Wafer, my exiled pearlcatcher. The story ties in with clan lore I've been itching to write for ages.

4892798_350.png

Here's our protag!

Critique/comments/support are very welcome! It'd mean a lot to hear what you think.
This story will also be posted on this blog.

I hope you enjoy it... I'm eager to see how this plays out, myself.

This is a baby version nuzlocke, only affecting dragons from Wafer onwards in my lair.
I can only buy one egg a month.
If a dragon faints in the coliseum, it dies.
If I breed two dragons, a coin flip will determine whether each of their hatchlings lives or dies.
More rules are found here, in the official thread.

Additional rules specific to my nuzlocke:
If I get a team to level 25, a conflict with Pepper's clan is slated to happen.
I can receive gift eggs, but gift eggs do not count toward breed changes.

Pinglist for updates:
Moved offsite!

ONWARDS TO THE STORY!
Kai - Al (There's only 1 L!)
[Call me Kai!] [30s,They/Them]
PLEASE do not ask about
my avatar on an
unrelated thread topic!
f18d31cc350d038f8fdc1052107773b5e5669843.png
- Accent Shop!
- Hatchathon: Egg a Day 2024!
- In Shadow of the Gods: A Nuzlocke (Complete!)
- G1s with Art!
- Wishlist/Icon Dragon
Entry 1

By the gods, I’ve screwed up.

I am Wafer, a pearlcatcher born to a clan that reaches as far and high as The Observatory itself. Renowned for its grandeur and sheer display of brilliant fossilized amber, crafted by the leader herself: Pepper.

That sociopathic, manipulative, vile excuse for a dragon. She cast me out. I found out the truth about her far too late… the clan was set against me by the time I returned, convinced of my guilt for the terrible crime I was accused of. My friends… the family I had forged within the lair’s walls—all of them are against me now. I was never able to expose her for what she was. I barely escaped with my life.

It pains me to think of. In fact, I can still hardly make heads or tails of it all. It feels like my time in the Starwood Strand has further addled my thoughts. I just… can’t seem to remember everything.

Crippling anxiety overwhelms my attempts to sort my memories into a tangible form—I know I am not innocent entirely, and the fact seems to be warping to something far worse within my own mind.

I feel there’s something wrong in the very air here—the arcane lands must play with the mind; I’ve never been able to tell until now, when I’m as far from “home” as is possible while still in the Starfall Isles.

My shifting memories have begun to haunt me, but I can’t let myself dwell on such things for now. I have to focus on my own survival.

For the first time since the egg that contained me was found, I am completely alone.
Entry 1

By the gods, I’ve screwed up.

I am Wafer, a pearlcatcher born to a clan that reaches as far and high as The Observatory itself. Renowned for its grandeur and sheer display of brilliant fossilized amber, crafted by the leader herself: Pepper.

That sociopathic, manipulative, vile excuse for a dragon. She cast me out. I found out the truth about her far too late… the clan was set against me by the time I returned, convinced of my guilt for the terrible crime I was accused of. My friends… the family I had forged within the lair’s walls—all of them are against me now. I was never able to expose her for what she was. I barely escaped with my life.

It pains me to think of. In fact, I can still hardly make heads or tails of it all. It feels like my time in the Starwood Strand has further addled my thoughts. I just… can’t seem to remember everything.

Crippling anxiety overwhelms my attempts to sort my memories into a tangible form—I know I am not innocent entirely, and the fact seems to be warping to something far worse within my own mind.

I feel there’s something wrong in the very air here—the arcane lands must play with the mind; I’ve never been able to tell until now, when I’m as far from “home” as is possible while still in the Starfall Isles.

My shifting memories have begun to haunt me, but I can’t let myself dwell on such things for now. I have to focus on my own survival.

For the first time since the egg that contained me was found, I am completely alone.
PLEASE do not ask about
my avatar on an
unrelated thread topic!
- Accent Shop!
- G1s with Art!
- Wishlist/Icon Dragon
Entry 2

I fear the wild. I was never the outdoorsy sort and would have much preferred to have stayed within the lair’s walls if it had been an option. But nobody was excused from mandatory training.

Still, I have to admit, my time battling through the different leagues in the coliseum alongside my team left me with many fond memories. Oleander and Vakker…. Neither were particularly kind or reserved souls—Vakker in particular was a nasty piece of work—but still, how we managed to work together and support one another in the thick of battle still amazes me.

We became close, particularly me and Oleander, and it was thanks to him that I was able to forge any proper friendships in the clan.

There are few dragons that pain me more to think of.
Still, I am very fortunate to have trained with him and Vakker. If it weren’t for them, I’d certainly have no chance now. I can fight with magic and mend my wounds when they become too great.

…Not that I’ve been taking many chances so far. I’ve been attacking only the weakest of enemies for food. It seems cruel of me, really, as I am far more trained… but without a team to back me up, I doubt I could go up against any others without risking my neck.
There’s no sense in that.

I spend from morning until nightfall scrounging for food and supplies, and then retreat to my current “home”: a meagre hole in a cliff overlooking the ocean. The air is salty and cold, but it seems to clear my head, and I’ve had no issue with any wildlife trespassing—unlike the more landlocked caves I’d tried before.

It’s strange and difficult to be both healer and attacker; I am constantly exhausted and sore from my efforts. But, it works. I have enough food to survive and have yet to get in over my head while fighting alone.

But after days and days of the same routine, I am wishing for any change of pace. And I cannot ignore how lonely it feels returning to the dark and frigid den every night.

I suppose this is how my life will be from now on.
Entry 2

I fear the wild. I was never the outdoorsy sort and would have much preferred to have stayed within the lair’s walls if it had been an option. But nobody was excused from mandatory training.

Still, I have to admit, my time battling through the different leagues in the coliseum alongside my team left me with many fond memories. Oleander and Vakker…. Neither were particularly kind or reserved souls—Vakker in particular was a nasty piece of work—but still, how we managed to work together and support one another in the thick of battle still amazes me.

We became close, particularly me and Oleander, and it was thanks to him that I was able to forge any proper friendships in the clan.

There are few dragons that pain me more to think of.
Still, I am very fortunate to have trained with him and Vakker. If it weren’t for them, I’d certainly have no chance now. I can fight with magic and mend my wounds when they become too great.

…Not that I’ve been taking many chances so far. I’ve been attacking only the weakest of enemies for food. It seems cruel of me, really, as I am far more trained… but without a team to back me up, I doubt I could go up against any others without risking my neck.
There’s no sense in that.

I spend from morning until nightfall scrounging for food and supplies, and then retreat to my current “home”: a meagre hole in a cliff overlooking the ocean. The air is salty and cold, but it seems to clear my head, and I’ve had no issue with any wildlife trespassing—unlike the more landlocked caves I’d tried before.

It’s strange and difficult to be both healer and attacker; I am constantly exhausted and sore from my efforts. But, it works. I have enough food to survive and have yet to get in over my head while fighting alone.

But after days and days of the same routine, I am wishing for any change of pace. And I cannot ignore how lonely it feels returning to the dark and frigid den every night.

I suppose this is how my life will be from now on.
PLEASE do not ask about
my avatar on an
unrelated thread topic!
- Accent Shop!
- G1s with Art!
- Wishlist/Icon Dragon
@Kaial well this looks like it will go somewhere interesting! please add me to your ping list :3
@Kaial well this looks like it will go somewhere interesting! please add me to your ping list :3
Professional Grump

I live for memes
@ArgenteaMoon Thank you so much for your interest, and for being the first person on my pinglist! c: Here's the next update~ [center][b]Entry 3[/b][/center] It seems I was incorrect. I stumbled upon something unexpected last evening as I headed home. It was an orb that flickered and crackled in the still of night. At first I didn’t realize what the object was, but by the time I did it was too late. The moment I saw it was in fact an egg, it began to crack. I felt dread well within me as the whelp fought its way out of its shell—being denied my own hatchlings was far too fresh a wound for this and I couldn’t take this hatchling to other dragons either: Pepper’s influence reached far in The Isles, and as a result word about me would have too. At a loss for what to do, I glanced down at the hatchling—a mirror—staring back at me. I suppose it recognized me as another dragon, as it pulled itself toward me—its back legs dragging behind in a concerning manner—until it reached my feet and curled up there while making a soft chirping noise. [img]https://31.media.tumblr.com/626331fdbc37f2ad86d68ef4c00d265e/tumblr_inline_nffjjqURYl1ru8xj4.png[/img] It tugged at my heart. I was so screwed. I ended up taking the hatchling back to the cave with me to set up a bed for it as best I could. I’ve blocked the area off so it cannot wander, but it doesn’t move much at all, even for a hatchling. It worries me, but at least I don’t have to fret over the little mirror falling out of the cave and into the water. …For now, at least. Given how many beasts I’ve defeated recently, I won’t have trouble feeding it—him, for a decent while. I may have to work on finding a bigger place for him once he grows, however. For now, I’ve left him to rest as I scavenge for supplies. I hope he’s in the same spot I left him when I return.
@ArgenteaMoon
Thank you so much for your interest, and for being the first person on my pinglist! c:
Here's the next update~
Entry 3

It seems I was incorrect. I stumbled upon something unexpected last evening as I headed home.

It was an orb that flickered and crackled in the still of night. At first I didn’t realize what the object was, but by the time I did it was too late. The moment I saw it was in fact an egg, it began to crack.

I felt dread well within me as the whelp fought its way out of its shell—being denied my own hatchlings was far too fresh a wound for this and I couldn’t take this hatchling to other dragons either: Pepper’s influence reached far in The Isles, and as a result word about me would have too.

At a loss for what to do, I glanced down at the hatchling—a mirror—staring back at me. I suppose it recognized me as another dragon, as it pulled itself toward me—its back legs dragging behind in a concerning manner—until it reached my feet and curled up there while making a soft chirping noise.

tumblr_inline_nffjjqURYl1ru8xj4.png

It tugged at my heart. I was so screwed.

I ended up taking the hatchling back to the cave with me to set up a bed for it as best I could. I’ve blocked the area off so it cannot wander, but it doesn’t move much at all, even for a hatchling. It worries me, but at least I don’t have to fret over the little mirror falling out of the cave and into the water.
…For now, at least.

Given how many beasts I’ve defeated recently, I won’t have trouble feeding it—him, for a decent while.
I may have to work on finding a bigger place for him once he grows, however.

For now, I’ve left him to rest as I scavenge for supplies.
I hope he’s in the same spot I left him when I return.
PLEASE do not ask about
my avatar on an
unrelated thread topic!
- Accent Shop!
- G1s with Art!
- Wishlist/Icon Dragon
Entry 4
@ArgenteaMoon

After some very disappointing attempts at scavenging for myself, I spent the morning out fighting for food.

My tiny clan grew again as I fought: a webwing began to follow me. It’s been a long time since I gained a familiar out in the fray, but my previous role as clan caretaker quickly had me going through the motions of welcoming it to my own pitiful group.

It’s rather small compared to the others—I think it may be a juvenile. I didn’t really want it seeing me, uh, killing its kin for food. So I returned to the cave with it in tow.

The mirror lay exactly where I left him in his makeshift bed—it looked like he’d barely even shifted.

The webwing quickly found a perch for itself in the cave. It watched me intently as I inspected the hatchling. Despite being a healer, I know little about body structure and so on—I’m not particularly proud of that.

But, as I can’t take him to be seen by anyone, I did my best to check him over myself. His front legs and claws seem fine—he certainly has a strong grip—but it seems he can’t feel his back legs at all. I spent a good amount of time bending them for him to see if he’d get the hint and start to try to use them, but I think he simply cannot.

It seems I’ve named him without thinking, referring to him as “Arc” as I tried to motivate him. For now, nothing’s really come of it, but he’s at least alert and responsive to my speech. I can only hope he’ll get stronger as he grows.

For now, I’ve left him in the cave with the webwing. Hopefully it’ll keep him entertained as I resume today’s hunting.
Entry 4
@ArgenteaMoon

After some very disappointing attempts at scavenging for myself, I spent the morning out fighting for food.

My tiny clan grew again as I fought: a webwing began to follow me. It’s been a long time since I gained a familiar out in the fray, but my previous role as clan caretaker quickly had me going through the motions of welcoming it to my own pitiful group.

It’s rather small compared to the others—I think it may be a juvenile. I didn’t really want it seeing me, uh, killing its kin for food. So I returned to the cave with it in tow.

The mirror lay exactly where I left him in his makeshift bed—it looked like he’d barely even shifted.

The webwing quickly found a perch for itself in the cave. It watched me intently as I inspected the hatchling. Despite being a healer, I know little about body structure and so on—I’m not particularly proud of that.

But, as I can’t take him to be seen by anyone, I did my best to check him over myself. His front legs and claws seem fine—he certainly has a strong grip—but it seems he can’t feel his back legs at all. I spent a good amount of time bending them for him to see if he’d get the hint and start to try to use them, but I think he simply cannot.

It seems I’ve named him without thinking, referring to him as “Arc” as I tried to motivate him. For now, nothing’s really come of it, but he’s at least alert and responsive to my speech. I can only hope he’ll get stronger as he grows.

For now, I’ve left him in the cave with the webwing. Hopefully it’ll keep him entertained as I resume today’s hunting.
PLEASE do not ask about
my avatar on an
unrelated thread topic!
- Accent Shop!
- G1s with Art!
- Wishlist/Icon Dragon
[center][b]Entry 5[/b][/center] I’ve gone from being completely alone to feeling rather crowded within two days. A peculiar sound caught my attention as I wandered in search of quarry, and as I went to investigate the source a rather pungent smell greeted me as well. Following both led me into the woodland path, and I encountered both a basilisk and a cockatrice pecking at a foul-smelling lump. It was only when I heard terrified cries from it I realized it was a dragon egg. I did my best attempt at an intimidating growl to scare them off, but all that did was make them rather defensive over their intended meal. They screeched and went after me A few spells took them down without too much issue. I hurried to the little egg and saw gashes had been pecked into it—its foetid contents oozing out and wilting the grass beneath. I hurriedly pulled the last of the egg’s membranes away and allowed all the liquids within to flow out, revealing a cowering hatchling. Its tiny talons were clasped over its eyes in what I assumed to be an attempt to hide. [img]https://31.media.tumblr.com/17ab47f7ea5f2f6c6f7a45390ca6a6c1/tumblr_inline_nfgq4hIJsT1ru8xj4.png[/img] “Hey now, it’s okay. You’re safe,” I said softly, hoping to calm the poor thing. Initially it flinched at my voice, but after a few moments, the little mirror uncovered all four of its eyes and looked up hesitantly. “Everything’s okay. My name is Wafer,” I continued. I doubted the hatchling could understand what I was saying, but hoped at least my tone would assure it. Sure enough, the hatchling took a slow, wobbly step toward me and— after a moment—clung fiercely to my arm. Unlike Arc it clearly had the use of its legs, as they were clasped around it just as tightly as its arms. “It’s okay, everything is okay now,” I repeated. “I’ll take you back to my home, okay?” I paused, painfully aware of the stench of the egg. “…After I take you to the ocean for a little bath.” [sub](A massive thanks to @Valley for the egg donation!)[/sub]
Entry 5

I’ve gone from being completely alone to feeling rather crowded within two days. A peculiar sound caught my attention as I wandered in search of quarry, and as I went to investigate the source a rather pungent smell greeted me as well.

Following both led me into the woodland path, and I encountered both a basilisk and a cockatrice pecking at a foul-smelling lump. It was only when I heard terrified cries from it I realized it was a dragon egg. I did my best attempt at an intimidating growl to scare them off, but all that did was make them rather defensive over their intended meal. They screeched and went after me

A few spells took them down without too much issue.

I hurried to the little egg and saw gashes had been pecked into it—its foetid contents oozing out and wilting the grass beneath. I hurriedly pulled the last of the egg’s membranes away and allowed all the liquids within to flow out, revealing a cowering hatchling. Its tiny talons were clasped over its eyes in what I assumed to be an attempt to hide.

tumblr_inline_nfgq4hIJsT1ru8xj4.png

“Hey now, it’s okay. You’re safe,” I said softly, hoping to calm the poor thing.

Initially it flinched at my voice, but after a few moments, the little mirror uncovered all four of its eyes and looked up hesitantly.

“Everything’s okay. My name is Wafer,” I continued. I doubted the hatchling could understand what I was saying, but hoped at least my tone would assure it.

Sure enough, the hatchling took a slow, wobbly step toward me and— after a moment—clung fiercely to my arm. Unlike Arc it clearly had the use of its legs, as they were clasped around it just as tightly as its arms.

“It’s okay, everything is okay now,” I repeated. “I’ll take you back to my home, okay?”

I paused, painfully aware of the stench of the egg.

“…After I take you to the ocean for a little bath.”

(A massive thanks to @Valley for the egg donation!)
PLEASE do not ask about
my avatar on an
unrelated thread topic!
- Accent Shop!
- G1s with Art!
- Wishlist/Icon Dragon
This is great! I love reading stuff FR based, and its very well written. Can I be added to your pinglist?
This is great! I love reading stuff FR based, and its very well written. Can I be added to your pinglist?
+3 hrs
@DragonsThunder
Absolutely, thank you very much! I'm glad you're enjoying my story. c:
@DragonsThunder
Absolutely, thank you very much! I'm glad you're enjoying my story. c:
PLEASE do not ask about
my avatar on an
unrelated thread topic!
- Accent Shop!
- G1s with Art!
- Wishlist/Icon Dragon
This is really good! I'm interested in knowing what happens next! Could I be added to the pinglist?
This is really good! I'm interested in knowing what happens next! Could I be added to the pinglist?
05YNfGC.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 79 80