Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Coliseum Technical Beta
1 2 ... 56 57 58 59 60 ... 93 94
@alliegator

I didn't see that before...
@alliegator

I didn't see that before...
Don't mind me I'm just a girl who likes dragons and robots.

FMoJ9vk.png S59aFC6.png fX0bVgZ.png MtGlogH.png cdqdRxL.png ypcKWM0.png 2VtxnMX.png HJLIYn4.pngawUnQ0L.pngll0CfnD.pngpFa33lp.png

[All of my social media]
Omg it's awesome!!!! I had my doubts but its actually super fast on my phone! Way faster!

Plus in the only one, I'd have to touch buttons like three times before they responded. Now the buttons and slide bars move on the first try! And I don't have to fish for stones anymore! I can just slide to them!!!

I love it!
Omg it's awesome!!!! I had my doubts but its actually super fast on my phone! Way faster!

Plus in the only one, I'd have to touch buttons like three times before they responded. Now the buttons and slide bars move on the first try! And I don't have to fish for stones anymore! I can just slide to them!!!

I love it!
[quote name="valdosta" date=2018-02-05 09:08:37] Strongly dislike how every page has to refresh. It's incredibly slow, which is strange considering I thought a big point was to make everything go faster. Also kicks you out of fullscreen mode and ruins any mobile play. [b]Totally understand that refreshing helps ad revenue[/b] but...when something like that directly influences gameplay in a negative light, it's a problem. [/quote] Oh hey, so here's a fun totally un-true rumor that seems to be making the rounds that I just wanted to jump in and address reeeeeeeeeeeal quick. (And I'm not pickin' on ya @valdosta - I just saw your post first) The decision to add page refreshes to the Coliseum was done [b]100% for performance and stability reasons[/b] for players that were having issues loading the feature fully. End of story. Loading the whole application was causing very real problems for many players with lower-end machines, and our optimization of the feature needed to encompass helping those players. In fact: We have actually, due to their nature, purposefully [b]demonetized [/b]the Coliseum pages. Right now, in the [s]legacy[/s] beta version, only Hiveworks ads (whom help manage our ad system) are served, which don't benefit us in the way this rumor seems to imply. When the new Coliseum is live, it will be the same way, and may even only show in-house "ads" that [i]we[/i] create to promote things elsewhere on [i]Flight Rising[/i] (like other site features or in the future, our merch), thus not actually doing anything but being banner links for other activities you can do here. [LIST] [*]Yes, we are a business and we make some money off of ad revenue. [*]No, we are not specifically injecting page reloads in to Coliseum to boost that revenue. [/LIST] If you see anyone talking about it that way, please kindly direct them to this post for more information. That being said, the page reloads between battles is clearly unpopular among our testers, and you better believe we have it on our list of items to discuss while we continue to polish and bug fix the Coliseum and make it ready for launch. That has absolutely not fallen on deaf ears. Thanks! [br] ----- [br] [i][size=2]Don't mind me, just passing by with a 'xhaztol was exhausted when he posted this' edit. -Aequorin [/size][/i]
valdosta wrote on 2018-02-05:
Strongly dislike how every page has to refresh. It's incredibly slow, which is strange considering I thought a big point was to make everything go faster. Also kicks you out of fullscreen mode and ruins any mobile play. Totally understand that refreshing helps ad revenue but...when something like that directly influences gameplay in a negative light, it's a problem.

Oh hey, so here's a fun totally un-true rumor that seems to be making the rounds that I just wanted to jump in and address reeeeeeeeeeeal quick. (And I'm not pickin' on ya @valdosta - I just saw your post first)

The decision to add page refreshes to the Coliseum was done 100% for performance and stability reasons for players that were having issues loading the feature fully. End of story. Loading the whole application was causing very real problems for many players with lower-end machines, and our optimization of the feature needed to encompass helping those players.

In fact:

We have actually, due to their nature, purposefully demonetized the Coliseum pages. Right now, in the legacy beta version, only Hiveworks ads (whom help manage our ad system) are served, which don't benefit us in the way this rumor seems to imply. When the new Coliseum is live, it will be the same way, and may even only show in-house "ads" that we create to promote things elsewhere on Flight Rising (like other site features or in the future, our merch), thus not actually doing anything but being banner links for other activities you can do here.
  • Yes, we are a business and we make some money off of ad revenue.
  • No, we are not specifically injecting page reloads in to Coliseum to boost that revenue.

If you see anyone talking about it that way, please kindly direct them to this post for more information.

That being said, the page reloads between battles is clearly unpopular among our testers, and you better believe we have it on our list of items to discuss while we continue to polish and bug fix the Coliseum and make it ready for launch. That has absolutely not fallen on deaf ears.

Thanks!

Don't mind me, just passing by with a 'xhaztol was exhausted when he posted this' edit. -Aequorin
Flight Rising Developer
Project Management | Engineering Team Cheerleader | UI Designer
(also sorry for any snark, I just finished a 3-day stint of being hospitalized for the first time in my life and I'm still a little bit on the mend, as they say!)

Rumors are bad, m'kay
(also sorry for any snark, I just finished a 3-day stint of being hospitalized for the first time in my life and I'm still a little bit on the mend, as they say!)

Rumors are bad, m'kay
Flight Rising Developer
Have this as well: [img]http://www.thatcutesite.com/uploads/2009/09/puppy_nose_bite.jpg[/img] (subtitle: Xhaztolpup chomps down on Rumorpup)
Have this as well:

puppy_nose_bite.jpg

(subtitle: Xhaztolpup chomps down on Rumorpup)
Flight Rising Developer
[quote name="Xhaztol" date=2018-02-06 13:59:13] Have this as well: [img]http://www.thatcutesite.com/uploads/2009/09/puppy_nose_bite.jpg[/img] (subtitle: Xhaztolpup chomps down on Rumorpup) [/quote] [center][img]https://media.giphy.com/media/Lb3vIJjaSIQWA/giphy.gif[/img][/center]
Xhaztol wrote on 2018-02-06:
Have this as well:

puppy_nose_bite.jpg

(subtitle: Xhaztolpup chomps down on Rumorpup)
giphy.gif
Since you're not making the Coli more fun with your rewrite, you're--at the very least-- supposed to make it more accessible. Less of a slog than what it was before. But this "reloading after every battle" nonsense makes it less accessible. I actually have to pay attention to the Coli which I don't want to do... because it's boring. I'd rather watch TV and grind rather than pay attention to your silent moving pixels.

And whatever you did to the turn system is seriously annoying. I mean getting my first turn is great, but there's a huge lag after every turn. EVERY TURN.

And the Captchas. Lord the Captchas. First off they're unreadable. Like I cannot find the dragon in half the ones I've seen. Even with my glasses on. And the camping boosts are useless. No one needs a piddly little 5% boost in anything, that's not going to help. Even just rotating the images so that everything is right side up would help with the not seeing problem but I'd like another solution to keep botters away rather than the Captchas.

The whole point of this rewrite was to make the Coli open to as many people as possible but now you've gone so far in trying to chase away botters that you've started to chase away people.

At this point I'd rather take the old Coli with all it's problems than this new one.
Since you're not making the Coli more fun with your rewrite, you're--at the very least-- supposed to make it more accessible. Less of a slog than what it was before. But this "reloading after every battle" nonsense makes it less accessible. I actually have to pay attention to the Coli which I don't want to do... because it's boring. I'd rather watch TV and grind rather than pay attention to your silent moving pixels.

And whatever you did to the turn system is seriously annoying. I mean getting my first turn is great, but there's a huge lag after every turn. EVERY TURN.

And the Captchas. Lord the Captchas. First off they're unreadable. Like I cannot find the dragon in half the ones I've seen. Even with my glasses on. And the camping boosts are useless. No one needs a piddly little 5% boost in anything, that's not going to help. Even just rotating the images so that everything is right side up would help with the not seeing problem but I'd like another solution to keep botters away rather than the Captchas.

The whole point of this rewrite was to make the Coli open to as many people as possible but now you've gone so far in trying to chase away botters that you've started to chase away people.

At this point I'd rather take the old Coli with all it's problems than this new one.
@Xhaztol
Absolutely wonderful response to that, thank you a lot, you aren't picking on me at all. I'm sorry if my first post came off as rude or anything (it was also 3 am or something and I was incredibly tired and more annoyed than usual haha), that wasn't the idea at all, I just figured that was what it was for, so thank you for correcting me, I appreciate a direct response and acknowledgment of the problem. There was definitely some earlier bias when I was swayed on bad rumors mainly because of other sites that I know have done the whole "page refresh for ad revenue thing" that I've modded / joined in the past, so I just figured that the rumors were true. None of them really gave me a direct response like this one though, haha, especially one this detailed.

I hope you feel better, of course! I remember getting hospitalized for the first time, it was scary but I felt like a superhero later on, I'm sure you'll feel the same way :)
@Xhaztol
Absolutely wonderful response to that, thank you a lot, you aren't picking on me at all. I'm sorry if my first post came off as rude or anything (it was also 3 am or something and I was incredibly tired and more annoyed than usual haha), that wasn't the idea at all, I just figured that was what it was for, so thank you for correcting me, I appreciate a direct response and acknowledgment of the problem. There was definitely some earlier bias when I was swayed on bad rumors mainly because of other sites that I know have done the whole "page refresh for ad revenue thing" that I've modded / joined in the past, so I just figured that the rumors were true. None of them really gave me a direct response like this one though, haha, especially one this detailed.

I hope you feel better, of course! I remember getting hospitalized for the first time, it was scary but I felt like a superhero later on, I'm sure you'll feel the same way :)
HjZUn7k.gif
thanks a bunch @Xhaztol for listening and trying to make this better. if we can at least get rid of the refreshes between battles, that'd be a huge help in making this version a real improvement over the old.

i really wanna like it, there's just a few very important issues that need ironed out first, this being the most annoying of them.
thanks a bunch @Xhaztol for listening and trying to make this better. if we can at least get rid of the refreshes between battles, that'd be a huge help in making this version a real improvement over the old.

i really wanna like it, there's just a few very important issues that need ironed out first, this being the most annoying of them.
qLQeTFk.gif
xxxxx
ARAxlYW.png
oxDm2Un.png
FObX7rS.png
nWiQNX9.png
mlHpBMC.png
NQ1Ze0S.png
xxxxx 9121892.png
Everything working just dandy ol fine for me today in mobile (I hate not having a computer)
Everything working just dandy ol fine for me today in mobile (I hate not having a computer)
LvA Contribution
1 2 ... 56 57 58 59 60 ... 93 94