Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Words on the Wind, vol 10
1 2 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
A friend of mine told me that someone was talking about how Unnamed Dragons might get taken off of breeding lists. At first, I was SUPER excited about this idea. But then I realized "what's going to happen when you try to look up that exalted dragon, and no one can find it?"
So here's what I think;

The site should make it so that the function can either be toggled on and off, OR
the site should make it so that you CANNOT exalt an unnamed dragon, and you CANNOT breed an unnamed dragon. That way, no one would ever be stuck with a dragon that has a list of unnamed offspring, or two unnamed parents.

Just a thought! Someone who is more popular on this site than me should bump this up for me! :)
A friend of mine told me that someone was talking about how Unnamed Dragons might get taken off of breeding lists. At first, I was SUPER excited about this idea. But then I realized "what's going to happen when you try to look up that exalted dragon, and no one can find it?"
So here's what I think;

The site should make it so that the function can either be toggled on and off, OR
the site should make it so that you CANNOT exalt an unnamed dragon, and you CANNOT breed an unnamed dragon. That way, no one would ever be stuck with a dragon that has a list of unnamed offspring, or two unnamed parents.

Just a thought! Someone who is more popular on this site than me should bump this up for me! :)
@DixieVicious I have dragons unnamed for a reason and I don't want to be forced to name them. In fact if I was forced to name them especially for breeding purposes I'd probably just stop breeding dragons at all. Its my dragon and I can do what I want with it. Including it leaving it unnamed.
@DixieVicious I have dragons unnamed for a reason and I don't want to be forced to name them. In fact if I was forced to name them especially for breeding purposes I'd probably just stop breeding dragons at all. Its my dragon and I can do what I want with it. Including it leaving it unnamed.
@merbara I guess that's fair, but I don't think they should straight take Unnamed dragons off of the lists simply because of the fact that they are unnamed. And I mean, I get that there are a select few that don't like to name their dragons, but I feel like the majority of people I have met on this site get angry when they have exalted unnamed dragon in their listings. That was why I also mentioned that they could just toggle the option on and off, maybe in the edit profile or something.
Or they could make it so you could name your dragon "Unnamed" if you wanted it to permanently stay "Unnamed". I just feel like most people don't like it. You're the first person I've ever even heard of intentionally leaving then Unnamed (not that that's wrong; I just feel like it's a very small minority next to a huge majority). It's still really cool that you chose to do that, though.
@merbara I guess that's fair, but I don't think they should straight take Unnamed dragons off of the lists simply because of the fact that they are unnamed. And I mean, I get that there are a select few that don't like to name their dragons, but I feel like the majority of people I have met on this site get angry when they have exalted unnamed dragon in their listings. That was why I also mentioned that they could just toggle the option on and off, maybe in the edit profile or something.
Or they could make it so you could name your dragon "Unnamed" if you wanted it to permanently stay "Unnamed". I just feel like most people don't like it. You're the first person I've ever even heard of intentionally leaving then Unnamed (not that that's wrong; I just feel like it's a very small minority next to a huge majority). It's still really cool that you chose to do that, though.
@DixieVicious they aren't taking unnamed dragons off the lists. What they will be doing is breaking the list into two: Active dragons and Exalted dragons and you will have the option of collapsing or expanding the list of exalted dragons. Nothing's removed, its all accessable

As for preventing unnamed dragons my biggest issue with suggestions that prevent unnamed dragon thing is that once a player sells a dragon, they have no say on what the purchaser does with the dragon. If a seller does not like unnamed dragons on their dragons' offspring list, they should name the hatchlings before they sell them and not expect the purchaser to do so or suggest the game be changed to force names upon dragons. Once a dragon is sold the seller has no say on what is done with that dragon; if unnamed dragons bother them, it is their responsibility to name the dragons before selling them. There have been several polls that have shown that most players aren't bothered by a pre-named dragon

Players exalt dragons unnamed for a variety of reasons.
--To differentiate exalted dragons from existing dragons on an offspring list. (IE they exalt their hatchlings unnamed; if they sell they generally get a name so its easy to tell at a glance who it is worth checking up on to see what that dragon has been up to)
--Some exalters prefer to exalt unnamed to avoid 'potentially harassing names' (IE the Mulch mess)
--Some exalters don't care if the dragon is named or not but don't want dragons automatically named when they exalt because it will slow them down (the system will have to update the name field and mark the dragon as exalted) when compared to pre-named dragons.
--Some players exalt dragons for story reasons:
----Unnamed hatchlings may have been ones that died as a hatchling
----Unnamed dragons may not have earned a name
----Unnamed dragons essentially do not exist in their story/head canon for certain pairs perhaps because they are trying to breed certain offspring and any that are not to the right characteristics are exalted unnamed

Suggestions like this essentially state that the breeder is more important than the buyer (since the argument tends to be that the unnnamed exalted offspring appear on the parents' page) which is incorrect since when you buy a dragon; you buy all rights to that dragon including the name or lack there of. The breeder seller has already been compensated for the dragon as they got the sales price they asked for. The exalter may have reasons for exalting unnamed (for example the dragon they exalted unnamed may have been used for a breeding project where they wanted unnamed parents or the dragon exalted unnamed may be referenced in their active clan members' profiles) and it is their right to be able to leave the dragon they exalted unnamed because it is their dragon.

Also as a side note it is impossible to name a dragon 'Unnamed' because then it would be impossible for players to tell if that dragon was truely unnamed or just named Unnamed. It could result in trolls selling dragons named Unnamed, and thus hitting the buyers with an additional 6,000 T fee to rename the dragon
@DixieVicious they aren't taking unnamed dragons off the lists. What they will be doing is breaking the list into two: Active dragons and Exalted dragons and you will have the option of collapsing or expanding the list of exalted dragons. Nothing's removed, its all accessable

As for preventing unnamed dragons my biggest issue with suggestions that prevent unnamed dragon thing is that once a player sells a dragon, they have no say on what the purchaser does with the dragon. If a seller does not like unnamed dragons on their dragons' offspring list, they should name the hatchlings before they sell them and not expect the purchaser to do so or suggest the game be changed to force names upon dragons. Once a dragon is sold the seller has no say on what is done with that dragon; if unnamed dragons bother them, it is their responsibility to name the dragons before selling them. There have been several polls that have shown that most players aren't bothered by a pre-named dragon

Players exalt dragons unnamed for a variety of reasons.
--To differentiate exalted dragons from existing dragons on an offspring list. (IE they exalt their hatchlings unnamed; if they sell they generally get a name so its easy to tell at a glance who it is worth checking up on to see what that dragon has been up to)
--Some exalters prefer to exalt unnamed to avoid 'potentially harassing names' (IE the Mulch mess)
--Some exalters don't care if the dragon is named or not but don't want dragons automatically named when they exalt because it will slow them down (the system will have to update the name field and mark the dragon as exalted) when compared to pre-named dragons.
--Some players exalt dragons for story reasons:
----Unnamed hatchlings may have been ones that died as a hatchling
----Unnamed dragons may not have earned a name
----Unnamed dragons essentially do not exist in their story/head canon for certain pairs perhaps because they are trying to breed certain offspring and any that are not to the right characteristics are exalted unnamed

Suggestions like this essentially state that the breeder is more important than the buyer (since the argument tends to be that the unnnamed exalted offspring appear on the parents' page) which is incorrect since when you buy a dragon; you buy all rights to that dragon including the name or lack there of. The breeder seller has already been compensated for the dragon as they got the sales price they asked for. The exalter may have reasons for exalting unnamed (for example the dragon they exalted unnamed may have been used for a breeding project where they wanted unnamed parents or the dragon exalted unnamed may be referenced in their active clan members' profiles) and it is their right to be able to leave the dragon they exalted unnamed because it is their dragon.

Also as a side note it is impossible to name a dragon 'Unnamed' because then it would be impossible for players to tell if that dragon was truely unnamed or just named Unnamed. It could result in trolls selling dragons named Unnamed, and thus hitting the buyers with an additional 6,000 T fee to rename the dragon
3DS Friend Code: 5300-9941-4980
#UnnamedIsValid .:. Nature Sales Thread .:. Strider Subspecies
@DragonSage oooo I never thought of the trolls, that's a fair point.
And I agree 100% with your post; I normally end up selling my dragons in the forums and ask people that are interested if they intend on naming them, so that no one gets upset. I once intentionally bought a dragon that had unnamed parents because I imagined them as an orphan who didn't know their parents, just remembered a faint memory of what they looked like. Other than that, I normally check to see if the parents are named since it's more on me to care about that or not. I mean, I've had dragons with Unnamed exalted babes (I think I ended up getting rid of them, not sure now) and I know it ends up happening, but I definitely feel like seeing four Unnamed dragons in a row on one of my lists is somewhat of an eyesore just for personal preference (that's why I like selling in the forums as opposed to the AH or just prenaming them since they tend to sell either way). I don't really mind buying a prenamed dragon (sometimes I feel like it kinda adds more personality to the dragon, so I don't end up changing their names), and I LOVE the idea of drop down lists for exalted and not exalted; I didn't know that was what they were planning on doing (I tried to find the original post and there was simply too many pages and I couldn't find it *sigh*), and I do remember reading something about how people would rename dragons in a cruel way and then exalt them, and I DEFINITELY don't agree with that. It's cruel and unnecessary (I definitely have a pair of dragons that have two babies that were bought and both renamed "Glitterbutt" and then exalted, which I actually found kind of hilarious and cute and not malicious. Is that weird? Oh well).
And as for the story plot thing, that's why I said that it actually did sound kinda cool that @merbara leaves some of them Unnamed, because I figured it could potentially be storyplot related. I've only used Unnamed dragons as part of my stories once, and I just really hadn't heard of anyone else feeling like they WANTED Unnamed dragons (I'm starting to realize with more research that this is clearly a debate that has been going on since long before I even got to sign up).
Honestly, I was just throwing both ideas out there because I didn't know for sure what was ACTUALLY going to be changed, and what wasn't. I didn't mean to offend anyone in anyway and if I did, I apologize. I'm really okay with them leaving it as is, since I have found ways around the whole "Unnamed" thing with or without other options, but I figured if they were choosing a "one or the other" option and it was specifically for Unnamed dragons, that I would throw my other opinion out there, and not just the toggle option.
Thank you for posting this. I REALLY liked your response. It was insightful and informative. I appreciate it.
@DragonSage oooo I never thought of the trolls, that's a fair point.
And I agree 100% with your post; I normally end up selling my dragons in the forums and ask people that are interested if they intend on naming them, so that no one gets upset. I once intentionally bought a dragon that had unnamed parents because I imagined them as an orphan who didn't know their parents, just remembered a faint memory of what they looked like. Other than that, I normally check to see if the parents are named since it's more on me to care about that or not. I mean, I've had dragons with Unnamed exalted babes (I think I ended up getting rid of them, not sure now) and I know it ends up happening, but I definitely feel like seeing four Unnamed dragons in a row on one of my lists is somewhat of an eyesore just for personal preference (that's why I like selling in the forums as opposed to the AH or just prenaming them since they tend to sell either way). I don't really mind buying a prenamed dragon (sometimes I feel like it kinda adds more personality to the dragon, so I don't end up changing their names), and I LOVE the idea of drop down lists for exalted and not exalted; I didn't know that was what they were planning on doing (I tried to find the original post and there was simply too many pages and I couldn't find it *sigh*), and I do remember reading something about how people would rename dragons in a cruel way and then exalt them, and I DEFINITELY don't agree with that. It's cruel and unnecessary (I definitely have a pair of dragons that have two babies that were bought and both renamed "Glitterbutt" and then exalted, which I actually found kind of hilarious and cute and not malicious. Is that weird? Oh well).
And as for the story plot thing, that's why I said that it actually did sound kinda cool that @merbara leaves some of them Unnamed, because I figured it could potentially be storyplot related. I've only used Unnamed dragons as part of my stories once, and I just really hadn't heard of anyone else feeling like they WANTED Unnamed dragons (I'm starting to realize with more research that this is clearly a debate that has been going on since long before I even got to sign up).
Honestly, I was just throwing both ideas out there because I didn't know for sure what was ACTUALLY going to be changed, and what wasn't. I didn't mean to offend anyone in anyway and if I did, I apologize. I'm really okay with them leaving it as is, since I have found ways around the whole "Unnamed" thing with or without other options, but I figured if they were choosing a "one or the other" option and it was specifically for Unnamed dragons, that I would throw my other opinion out there, and not just the toggle option.
Thank you for posting this. I REALLY liked your response. It was insightful and informative. I appreciate it.
Why not just open up registration.
Because these openings are getting way to frequent for the site to handle, both in game wise and tech wise.
Trying to use your account of a registration day is a constant uphill battle with the site.

Can we get that fixed perhaps?
Why not just open up registration.
Because these openings are getting way to frequent for the site to handle, both in game wise and tech wise.
Trying to use your account of a registration day is a constant uphill battle with the site.

Can we get that fixed perhaps?
tumblr_inline_n6kdvbu87Y1qlye38.giftumblr_n69vu8VRkE1t0ibwro5_250.giftumblr_inline_n6kdvbu87Y1qlye38.gif
@Sainler That's what they're aiming for. The registration windows are pmuch a stress-test for the servers so far. If they thing the servers can handle it, they will work on making the time between the windows smaller so that eventually it will be open permanently.
@Sainler That's what they're aiming for. The registration windows are pmuch a stress-test for the servers so far. If they thing the servers can handle it, they will work on making the time between the windows smaller so that eventually it will be open permanently.
hPGHvDe.pngjPfUJ3r.png
[LF] Aqua Bellies | [LF]Nature-y Dragons | [ Fandragon Hub ]
CPx59tb.png
@Loddie Thank you!

However this means I need to make a bug report; I was never notified that you pinged me.
@Loddie Thank you!

However this means I need to make a bug report; I was never notified that you pinged me.
[quote name="EnchantedEcho" date="2014-12-05 11:05:29"][quote name="Lindulcis" date="2014-12-05 10:37:26"][quote name="FlapFlap" date="2014-12-05 10:02:20"][quote name="nika" date="2014-12-05 08:51:46"][quote name="Danerys" date="2014-12-05 04:30:07"][quote name="Xhaztol" date="2014-12-04 17:30:47"]I'm a bit disappointed in the open negativity directed toward @Aequorin for performing her role and putting together [i]Words on the Wind[/i] each month. It's fine if there are disagreements with the content, but the rude, sarcastic, and pointed criticism is becoming quite discouraging. Please remember that @Aequorin is acting as the public voice of the entire administrative team, and that not an issue of [i]Words [/i]is published without input, editing, and collaboration of the [b]whole [/b]staff. You can be upset. You can not like what's being written. You can do all those things, but it's unfair that it be laser-focused on someone who already has a fairly tough job to do. It's one thing to disagree and provide constructive feedback, it's something entirely different to target a staff member and outright attack them. If you have feedback about [i]Words on the Wind[/i] or about anyone on Stormlight Workshop staff, please utilize our [b][url=http://flightrising.com/index.php?p=contact][b]Contact Us[/b][/url][/b] page; we're never above taking that feedback and trying to integrate it into our content. But please be mindful of openly criticizing one person when this feature is created by all of us.[/quote] @Xhaztol, you've made posts like this in the past expressing disappointment in the community for not appreciating Aequorin's Words on the Wind. When you do this, can you please give specific examples of what it is you don't like? Granted, there are some people expressing frustration in not understanding certain rules outlined in the WotW and there are people asking questions and wanting feed back, but it seems like the majority of the people on this thread are excited, happy, and grateful. The last time you did this was on the WotW 7 thread: http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=mb&board=ann&id=1183046&page=18 [quote]We would like to dispel the misconception that Aequorin is "acting rogue-like" or "changing things around" or "making Words on the Wind her personal blog" and some of the other more colorful choices being used. This is untrue and unfair criticism, as she is directly working alongside with--and guided by--the adminstrative team.[/quote] I literally went through every page of that thread using ctrl+F to find the words you put in quotes. No one said anything like that. No one says "acting rogue-like" or "changing things around" or "making Words on the Wind her personal blog" or any variation of those things. Do you know what Google yields when I search for some combination of Flight Rising, your username, and your quoted words? Links to a certain drama blog where those actual quotes came from. I understand that drama blogs and the negative comments off site are discouraging, but my question is this: [i]Are these on site threads full of support and excitement really the place to chastise those off-site anonymous people? [/i] It kind of seems like we're all being punished and reprimanded because some anon off site said something you didn't like and you're choosing to respond to their rude claims here, and it doesn't make any sense; why would an anon off site come to this thread to look for the staff's response to an anon post they made off site? Could you please air your grievances with drama-mongers AT the actual drama-mongers? Reblog them on Tumblr with your disappointment. Make an announcement on the Flight Rising Tumblr tag to express your disappointment. If someone is being rude on this thread, tell them. Use their actual quotes (if you don't want to ping them or disclose their name) so we know what not to do OR to allow that person to explain themselves better (you're saying people are being pointed and sarcastic, but sometimes things get misconstrued through text -- for all you know, they weren't trying to be mean). With all due respect, I don't think it's fair or professional of staff members to bring off site matters on site, telling us you're disappointed in all of us for something one dumb anon said. Edited for spelling.[/quote] @Danerys THIS. Thank you for posting this (and for actually doing the searches), not that I expect you'll get a response.[/quote] Seconded.[/quote] f'in this[/quote] [center][size=2]Yeah. This. All of this.[/quote] Late to the party but assuming I'm allowed to join the quote chain, THIS ^ Edit: and IMO, until secure trading is put in place, there NEEDS to be support for scamming via the current trading system.
EnchantedEcho wrote on 2014-12-05 11:05:29:
Lindulcis wrote on 2014-12-05 10:37:26:
FlapFlap wrote on 2014-12-05 10:02:20:
nika wrote on 2014-12-05 08:51:46:
Danerys wrote on 2014-12-05 04:30:07:
Xhaztol wrote on 2014-12-04 17:30:47:
I'm a bit disappointed in the open negativity directed toward @Aequorin for performing her role and putting together Words on the Wind each month. It's fine if there are disagreements with the content, but the rude, sarcastic, and pointed criticism is becoming quite discouraging.

Please remember that @Aequorin is acting as the public voice of the entire administrative team, and that not an issue of Words is published without input, editing, and collaboration of the whole staff. You can be upset. You can not like what's being written. You can do all those things, but it's unfair that it be laser-focused on someone who already has a fairly tough job to do. It's one thing to disagree and provide constructive feedback, it's something entirely different to target a staff member and outright attack them.

If you have feedback about Words on the Wind or about anyone on Stormlight Workshop staff, please utilize our Contact Us page; we're never above taking that feedback and trying to integrate it into our content. But please be mindful of openly criticizing one person when this feature is created by all of us.

@Xhaztol, you've made posts like this in the past expressing disappointment in the community for not appreciating Aequorin's Words on the Wind. When you do this, can you please give specific examples of what it is you don't like? Granted, there are some people expressing frustration in not understanding certain rules outlined in the WotW and there are people asking questions and wanting feed back, but it seems like the majority of the people on this thread are excited, happy, and grateful.

The last time you did this was on the WotW 7 thread: http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=mb&board=ann&id=1183046&page=18
Quote:
We would like to dispel the misconception that Aequorin is "acting rogue-like" or "changing things around" or "making Words on the Wind her personal blog" and some of the other more colorful choices being used. This is untrue and unfair criticism, as she is directly working alongside with--and guided by--the adminstrative team.

I literally went through every page of that thread using ctrl+F to find the words you put in quotes. No one said anything like that. No one says "acting rogue-like" or "changing things around" or "making Words on the Wind her personal blog" or any variation of those things. Do you know what Google yields when I search for some combination of Flight Rising, your username, and your quoted words? Links to a certain drama blog where those actual quotes came from.

I understand that drama blogs and the negative comments off site are discouraging, but my question is this: Are these on site threads full of support and excitement really the place to chastise those off-site anonymous people?

It kind of seems like we're all being punished and reprimanded because some anon off site said something you didn't like and you're choosing to respond to their rude claims here, and it doesn't make any sense; why would an anon off site come to this thread to look for the staff's response to an anon post they made off site?

Could you please air your grievances with drama-mongers AT the actual drama-mongers? Reblog them on Tumblr with your disappointment. Make an announcement on the Flight Rising Tumblr tag to express your disappointment. If someone is being rude on this thread, tell them. Use their actual quotes (if you don't want to ping them or disclose their name) so we know what not to do OR to allow that person to explain themselves better (you're saying people are being pointed and sarcastic, but sometimes things get misconstrued through text -- for all you know, they weren't trying to be mean).

With all due respect, I don't think it's fair or professional of staff members to bring off site matters on site, telling us you're disappointed in all of us for something one dumb anon said.

Edited for spelling.

@Danerys THIS. Thank you for posting this (and for actually doing the searches), not that I expect you'll get a response.
Seconded.

f'in this
Yeah. This. All of this.

Late to the party but assuming I'm allowed to join the quote chain, THIS ^

Edit: and IMO, until secure trading is put in place, there NEEDS to be support for scamming via the current trading system.
h4uz0mr.gif
>ignores every other post<

I'm still super excited for facet. Does anybody on the mod/admin team have an ETA they can share, maybe?
>ignores every other post<

I'm still super excited for facet. Does anybody on the mod/admin team have an ETA they can share, maybe?
fA9EDFQ.png x9ADy1B.png dnuQeRf.png
1 2 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33