Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | POV of why some users are not happy
1 2 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 32 33
@jemadar what are 'natural' eyes exactly? Are people mad because the natural eyes have been added as vials?
@jemadar what are 'natural' eyes exactly? Are people mad because the natural eyes have been added as vials?
[quote name="Sorel" date="2021-05-05 16:33:09" ] [quote name="Deramadus" date="2021-05-05 09:44:05" ] Alright, I took a day to clear my head, so I have a few more things I'd like to point out. Others probably have already, but I'll point them out as I go. Here's the problem. The update is great, alright? It is. Everyone can get any eye they want on their dragons and that's amazing - I know I already have some plans and projects in the works. But here's the crux of it all, that I think many are trying to articulate: [b]the damage had already been done[/b]. The eyepocalypse had come and had sparked a fire that started to burn everything to the ground. With no fixes to be had, the fire kept burning until it eventually burned itself out. Now we were left to build back up with the blackened pieces, to try and adapt to this new and flawed situation. And for [u]3 years[/u], that is what everyone did. Users adapted to this shifted marketplace and figured out how to use a system that was broken so they could continue playing the game how they wanted. And [i]no one[/i] can fault [i]anyone[/i] for doing so. There were no hints that help was coming, or a fix was on the way, so everyone hunkered down and did the best with what they had. Saying that people played the gambling game and lost is wrong, since we had [i]no [/i]knowledge that this was, in fact, a gambling game and simply took it as a new era to adapt to. Then, 3 years later, an update comes. But it is the equivalent of throwing water on already cold cinders. The update knocks down what we had built and flattens it completely. It does give us new supplies though, new materials and ways to build back up even faster, which is great! It's exactly what we needed! [u]3 years ago[/u]. Though it is good for the long run and definitely needed to happen, you [i]cannot [/i]fault people for feeling disappointed and even angry that all of the work they put into building a somewhat stable environment out of the burned cinders was disregarded and thrown out overnight. Yes, it is far better now, yes, it is more fair for everyone, but the [b]damage had already been done years ago[/b]. I can see very clearly how it could feel like a slap to the face for those who spent years doing what they could with the flawed system, because they had no other choice! There was nothing saying anywhere that this would change, so they [i]adapted[/i]. And the scattersights - they are a whole different, but equally important, problem. Items are money in FR, and that is just plain truth that cannot be disputed. Nowadays, with nothing, not even fest items, remaining retired, no wonder people are clutching onto their limited assets. [i]Because there are no new assets being created[/i]. Scattersights are very controversial - I hated them when they were first introduced and even now I still hold a grudge against them - but it does not change the fact that this was the first retired asset to come out in [i]years[/i]. At this point, scattersights became akin to eggs and retired fest items, and flowed into the marketplace as something to trade with. And there is nothing wrong with this. People were not taking 'advantage' of anything, they were using what they were given so that they could make light of a bad situation. We were told that scattersights would not be brought back, which to this day is true. Unfortunately, it no longer matters since there is a far cheaper method that guarantees you get what you want. Whether the staff meant it or not, this absolutely obliterated the value of the item to around 10% of what it was worth before. Yes, the scattersights are still retired, but it would make no difference if they were brought back, no? The damage has been done and the market people have been building for 3 years has been pushed over overnight. With staff being so adamant, as Kydoimos said, on retiring vials for good, it's obvious that they became a bank item like sprites and eggs. So to suddenly have them be rendered worthless definitely feels like a stab in the back. Because, it was heavily implied that the eye types would not be moving from breeding exclusivity, and you [i]cannot [/i]fault people for thinking so after 3 years of near silence on the topic. As Toska said: [quote=Toska] Here's a [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/2457301#post_2457301]quote[/url]: "Going forward, here's what we'd like everyone to know: Vials of Scattersight will not be returning to the game; we still think it's important that from this point forward, natural eye types be part of the breeding system exclusively."[/quote] There is nothing here to imply that eye types would be put on the market, in fact it implies the opposite. So it's incredibly frustrating that people don't realize how much of a shock this was to many people. All in all, it needed to happen. But any form of communication, even just a 'we're considering the eye dilemma' would have given people some hints as to what would happen. Instead, we got no warning, and a bank item has been rendered worthless and obsolete, which people have every right to be angry about. To put it into perspective, it's nearly like if they put a sprite item on the market for 10% of a sprite's actual cost, but it gives you a random sprite instead of the sprite you want. Yes, technically the sprites haven't been unretired, but there is now an item that makes them obsolete anyways, so what's the difference? Anyways, I know I missed some points, but I know others have already covered it. I [u]am not[/u] saying that this update is inherently bad, just poorly communicated with seemingly unpredicted negative results. I hope this helps some people make sense of the problem more. Thank you. [/quote] I want to thank you for this post. This summarizes everything I've bee thinking and wanted to say far better than I ever could. The eye update needed to happen but it needed to happen a week after the original update. I've yet to see anyone saying the original update was great or that we should roll back the new one. It that this needs to be addressed and that trust I and others had in the staff to solve this problem has been shattered. [/quote] While I already lost all trust in the staff with the fifth anniversary update and the way that was handled (or not handled), this states everything pretty well. It's a shame it took them this long to come to this conclusion. And it's the biggest thing that they did not learn that was the one thing I wished they would: communication. So much hurt could be avoided, could have been avoided if they would just say something. I also wish they'd come up with a way to keep the eyes breeding only. Honestly, I can't believe this is what they went with. Literally the most boring option (even if a treasure sink is sorely needed...). But really, it's the communication piece that's missing, and the only thing I guess I really wanted. The vials are a nice consolation prize though.
Sorel wrote on 2021-05-05 16:33:09:
Deramadus wrote on 2021-05-05 09:44:05:
Alright, I took a day to clear my head, so I have a few more things I'd like to point out. Others probably have already, but I'll point them out as I go.

Here's the problem. The update is great, alright? It is. Everyone can get any eye they want on their dragons and that's amazing - I know I already have some plans and projects in the works. But here's the crux of it all, that I think many are trying to articulate: the damage had already been done.

The eyepocalypse had come and had sparked a fire that started to burn everything to the ground. With no fixes to be had, the fire kept burning until it eventually burned itself out. Now we were left to build back up with the blackened pieces, to try and adapt to this new and flawed situation. And for 3 years, that is what everyone did. Users adapted to this shifted marketplace and figured out how to use a system that was broken so they could continue playing the game how they wanted. And no one can fault anyone for doing so. There were no hints that help was coming, or a fix was on the way, so everyone hunkered down and did the best with what they had. Saying that people played the gambling game and lost is wrong, since we had no knowledge that this was, in fact, a gambling game and simply took it as a new era to adapt to.

Then, 3 years later, an update comes. But it is the equivalent of throwing water on already cold cinders. The update knocks down what we had built and flattens it completely. It does give us new supplies though, new materials and ways to build back up even faster, which is great! It's exactly what we needed! 3 years ago. Though it is good for the long run and definitely needed to happen, you cannot fault people for feeling disappointed and even angry that all of the work they put into building a somewhat stable environment out of the burned cinders was disregarded and thrown out overnight. Yes, it is far better now, yes, it is more fair for everyone, but the damage had already been done years ago. I can see very clearly how it could feel like a slap to the face for those who spent years doing what they could with the flawed system, because they had no other choice! There was nothing saying anywhere that this would change, so they adapted.

And the scattersights - they are a whole different, but equally important, problem. Items are money in FR, and that is just plain truth that cannot be disputed. Nowadays, with nothing, not even fest items, remaining retired, no wonder people are clutching onto their limited assets. Because there are no new assets being created. Scattersights are very controversial - I hated them when they were first introduced and even now I still hold a grudge against them - but it does not change the fact that this was the first retired asset to come out in years. At this point, scattersights became akin to eggs and retired fest items, and flowed into the marketplace as something to trade with. And there is nothing wrong with this. People were not taking 'advantage' of anything, they were using what they were given so that they could make light of a bad situation.

We were told that scattersights would not be brought back, which to this day is true. Unfortunately, it no longer matters since there is a far cheaper method that guarantees you get what you want. Whether the staff meant it or not, this absolutely obliterated the value of the item to around 10% of what it was worth before. Yes, the scattersights are still retired, but it would make no difference if they were brought back, no? The damage has been done and the market people have been building for 3 years has been pushed over overnight. With staff being so adamant, as Kydoimos said, on retiring vials for good, it's obvious that they became a bank item like sprites and eggs. So to suddenly have them be rendered worthless definitely feels like a stab in the back. Because, it was heavily implied that the eye types would not be moving from breeding exclusivity, and you cannot fault people for thinking so after 3 years of near silence on the topic. As Toska said:
Toska wrote:
Here's a quote:

"Going forward, here's what we'd like everyone to know:

Vials of Scattersight will not be returning to the game; we still think it's important that from this point forward, natural eye types be part of the breeding system exclusively."
There is nothing here to imply that eye types would be put on the market, in fact it implies the opposite. So it's incredibly frustrating that people don't realize how much of a shock this was to many people.

All in all, it needed to happen. But any form of communication, even just a 'we're considering the eye dilemma' would have given people some hints as to what would happen. Instead, we got no warning, and a bank item has been rendered worthless and obsolete, which people have every right to be angry about. To put it into perspective, it's nearly like if they put a sprite item on the market for 10% of a sprite's actual cost, but it gives you a random sprite instead of the sprite you want. Yes, technically the sprites haven't been unretired, but there is now an item that makes them obsolete anyways, so what's the difference?

Anyways, I know I missed some points, but I know others have already covered it. I am not saying that this update is inherently bad, just poorly communicated with seemingly unpredicted negative results. I hope this helps some people make sense of the problem more. Thank you.

I want to thank you for this post. This summarizes everything I've bee thinking and wanted to say far better than I ever could. The eye update needed to happen but it needed to happen a week after the original update. I've yet to see anyone saying the original update was great or that we should roll back the new one. It that this needs to be addressed and that trust I and others had in the staff to solve this problem has been shattered.
While I already lost all trust in the staff with the fifth anniversary update and the way that was handled (or not handled), this states everything pretty well. It's a shame it took them this long to come to this conclusion. And it's the biggest thing that they did not learn that was the one thing I wished they would: communication. So much hurt could be avoided, could have been avoided if they would just say something.

I also wish they'd come up with a way to keep the eyes breeding only. Honestly, I can't believe this is what they went with. Literally the most boring option (even if a treasure sink is sorely needed...).

But really, it's the communication piece that's missing, and the only thing I guess I really wanted. The vials are a nice consolation prize though.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
[quote name="@Sorrelfur" date="2021-05-05 19:01:23" ] @[i][/i]jemadar what are 'natural' eyes exactly? Are people mad because the natural eyes have been added as vials? [/quote] Yes, natural eyes are eye types that can only be generated randomly and can't be customized (applied to dragons).
@Sorrelfur wrote on 2021-05-05 19:01:23:
Yes, natural eyes are eye types that can only be generated randomly and can't be customized (applied to dragons).
oN0doZI.gif

SilverRipple
Female ~ She/They
FR+15 hrs
[quote name="SilverRipple" date="2021-05-05 19:04:45" ] [quote name="@Sorrelfur" date="2021-05-05 19:01:23" ] @[i][/i]jemadar what are 'natural' eyes exactly? Are people mad because the natural eyes have been added as vials? [/quote] Yes, natural eyes are eye types that can only be generated randomly and can't be customized (applied to dragons). [/quote] To add on, the 'natural' eyes were only available through breeding or the retired scattersight. People are mad because the staff took 3 years to make the decision to put the 'natural' eyes into obtainable vials for other players, and in that time, people assumed that nothing would ultimately be done about it, leading to some people to invest in scattersights, and to buy primal dragons for higher prices than they normally would have. Because the natural vials are available through the treasure MP, the scattersight market has crashed (to my understanding it went from like nearly 1000 gems to about 40 gems in a day) as their odds were notoriously horrid, and primal dragons, especially gen1s, also started seeing their prices tanking. I do feel that there were better ways to introduce natural eye vials to the game, but I think I understand the reasoning behind it (mainly treasure sink)
SilverRipple wrote on 2021-05-05 19:04:45:
@Sorrelfur wrote on 2021-05-05 19:01:23:
Yes, natural eyes are eye types that can only be generated randomly and can't be customized (applied to dragons).
To add on, the 'natural' eyes were only available through breeding or the retired scattersight.

People are mad because the staff took 3 years to make the decision to put the 'natural' eyes into obtainable vials for other players, and in that time, people assumed that nothing would ultimately be done about it, leading to some people to invest in scattersights, and to buy primal dragons for higher prices than they normally would have.

Because the natural vials are available through the treasure MP, the scattersight market has crashed (to my understanding it went from like nearly 1000 gems to about 40 gems in a day) as their odds were notoriously horrid, and primal dragons, especially gen1s, also started seeing their prices tanking.

I do feel that there were better ways to introduce natural eye vials to the game, but I think I understand the reasoning behind it (mainly treasure sink)

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
This and so much more. I have had people continue to post attacks at me for being upset by the update's impact on my play style. As if my being upset isn't my right. As if I'm being selfish, which I am not. I joined the game in January, so al I've known is that eyes had to be hatched as a huge part of the game. And, to have that suddenly ripped, right after I achieved my primal hatch, of course is upsetting. If it were how they had been playing it, they would be just as upset. But, it's the fact that they have attacked me in threads that weren't even about this issue, when I hadn't mentioned it, that has me bothered. Like stalkers. I'm also concerned they will destroy the value of colors soon enough, too. And, rightly so. Simply, there are people who play this that 500,000 treasure or 500 gems is a drop in the bucket. They are the ones buying up all of the primal eyes that hit the MP and reselling them in AH at profits. They don't care about how difficult it is for other players to obtain the gems or treasure for something that is being sold in a scalping method. Those same players will do the same things with anything offered, including color options. There will always be people making buying/selling of dragons, and other items, a huge part of the game. [quote name="Lostdaydreams" date="2021-05-05 11:32:07" ] I consider myself modertaly annoyed by this update. What do I mean by that? I am not a collector of expensive familiars. I am not into 1G and I plain don't get the 5 digit thing. BUT something I do love to collect? Rare (visual) things very few people have. One of those things are rare user made skins/accents. Another thing I really liked was the concept of primal dragons. But now that literary anyone can have one made me lose most of my interest :/. I will still probably buy 2/3 of those special scrolls for aesthetics reasons, but I will consider it just another "gene" like we have those line braking genes on ancients. If they did this update and made everything BUT primals for sale, I would have actually been happy with it as well. I see some people say "Oh but you can still breed them and have a "pure" primals to chalange yourself!" sorry, but that brings me ZERO satisfaction. Just like if someone exalted by mistake their 5 digit dragon and gifting them an identical one, but is not a 5 digit dragon would bring them next to no consolation. I think its ridiculous how some people will start a war in the comment section, when someone has a different opinion. Just because you didn't care about X feature does not mean everyone feel the same. And me wanting exclusive stuff does not make me a snob or that I am looking down on others who have a different play style. It was just my thing, I don't like the fact it was taken away. Its that plain and simple. I really wish this community would just learn to say "Oh yay, I love this new thing!" or "Eww no, I hate this!" with out jumping at other's throat for having a different opinion. People telling others "You are selfish for not wanting this update!" pisses me off more that the actual update. [/quote]
This and so much more. I have had people continue to post attacks at me for being upset by the update's impact on my play style. As if my being upset isn't my right. As if I'm being selfish, which I am not. I joined the game in January, so al I've known is that eyes had to be hatched as a huge part of the game. And, to have that suddenly ripped, right after I achieved my primal hatch, of course is upsetting.

If it were how they had been playing it, they would be just as upset.

But, it's the fact that they have attacked me in threads that weren't even about this issue, when I hadn't mentioned it, that has me bothered. Like stalkers.

I'm also concerned they will destroy the value of colors soon enough, too. And, rightly so. Simply, there are people who play this that 500,000 treasure or 500 gems is a drop in the bucket. They are the ones buying up all of the primal eyes that hit the MP and reselling them in AH at profits. They don't care about how difficult it is for other players to obtain the gems or treasure for something that is being sold in a scalping method.

Those same players will do the same things with anything offered, including color options. There will always be people making buying/selling of dragons, and other items, a huge part of the game.
Lostdaydreams wrote on 2021-05-05 11:32:07:
I consider myself modertaly annoyed by this update.

What do I mean by that? I am not a collector of expensive familiars. I am not into 1G and I plain don't get the 5 digit thing.
BUT something I do love to collect? Rare (visual) things very few people have. One of those things are rare user made skins/accents.
Another thing I really liked was the concept of primal dragons. But now that literary anyone can have one made me lose most of my interest :/. I will still probably buy 2/3 of those special scrolls for aesthetics reasons, but I will consider it just another "gene" like we have those line braking genes on ancients.
If they did this update and made everything BUT primals for sale, I would have actually been happy with it as well.

I see some people say "Oh but you can still breed them and have a "pure" primals to chalange yourself!" sorry, but that brings me ZERO satisfaction. Just like if someone exalted by mistake their 5 digit dragon and gifting them an identical one, but is not a 5 digit dragon would bring them next to no consolation.

I think its ridiculous how some people will start a war in the comment section, when someone has a different opinion. Just because you didn't care about X feature does not mean everyone feel the same. And me wanting exclusive stuff does not make me a snob or that I am looking down on others who have a different play style. It was just my thing, I don't like the fact it was taken away. Its that plain and simple.

I really wish this community would just learn to say "Oh yay, I love this new thing!" or "Eww no, I hate this!" with out jumping at other's throat for having a different opinion.
People telling others "You are selfish for not wanting this update!" pisses me off more that the actual update.
EggForumNebula2150hightiny.png
I think the thing that I don't see in this argument is that, like, you can want to play the game a certain way because you're an older player and that's fine. But things that make the game more challenging for YOU make it more restrictive for new players. I'm sorry but just because you've put time into this game, doesn't mean you're the majority of its playerbase, and even if you are, that doesn't mean the devs have to pander to you.

Something I noticed when this update came out is that it's another update that people have been asking for for ages, that for YEARS if you BOTHERED to suggest in the suggestions forum, people would shout you down and condescendingly tell you that's not how the game works. And people do that for almost any update. Remember when pose-changing scrolls were unthinkable? I got yelled at for suggesting to add a "return to nesting grounds" button to the page where you're shown your new hatchlings!

People on this website resist literally any update that makes the game experience smoother and it's one of the reasons I'm no longer as active on Flight Rising. Maybe having the game be extra challenging keeps you coming back. But it makes other players not want to return to the site when anything they want to do to their dragons is ridiculously expensive or time-consuming. I understand that that's a part of the game's design, but updates that balance that and make it more viable for less dedicated players are important.

You aren't more deserving of your dream flight rising experience than other players for any reason.
I think the thing that I don't see in this argument is that, like, you can want to play the game a certain way because you're an older player and that's fine. But things that make the game more challenging for YOU make it more restrictive for new players. I'm sorry but just because you've put time into this game, doesn't mean you're the majority of its playerbase, and even if you are, that doesn't mean the devs have to pander to you.

Something I noticed when this update came out is that it's another update that people have been asking for for ages, that for YEARS if you BOTHERED to suggest in the suggestions forum, people would shout you down and condescendingly tell you that's not how the game works. And people do that for almost any update. Remember when pose-changing scrolls were unthinkable? I got yelled at for suggesting to add a "return to nesting grounds" button to the page where you're shown your new hatchlings!

People on this website resist literally any update that makes the game experience smoother and it's one of the reasons I'm no longer as active on Flight Rising. Maybe having the game be extra challenging keeps you coming back. But it makes other players not want to return to the site when anything they want to do to their dragons is ridiculously expensive or time-consuming. I understand that that's a part of the game's design, but updates that balance that and make it more viable for less dedicated players are important.

You aren't more deserving of your dream flight rising experience than other players for any reason.
clyCaLS.png .

20s, male, he/him
.np7f4Fm.png about me
.np7f4Fm.png current icon:
NUuorfS.png .
[quote name="GuidanceOfficer" date="2021-05-05 19:44:46" ] I think the thing that I don't see in this argument is that, like, you can want to play the game a certain way because you're an older player and that's fine. But things that make the game more challenging for YOU make it more restrictive for new players. I'm sorry but just because you've put time into this game, doesn't mean you're the majority of its playerbase, and even if you are, that doesn't mean the devs have to pander to you. People on this website resist literally any update that makes the game experience smoother and it's one of the reasons I'm no longer as active on Flight Rising. Maybe having the game be extra challenging keeps you coming back. But it makes other players not want to return to the site when anything they want to do to their dragons is ridiculously expensive or time-consuming. I understand that that's a part of the game's design, but updates that balance that and make it more viable for less dedicated players are important. You aren't more deserving of your dream flight rising experience than other players for any reason. [/quote] Is it just me or does this also apply to the people who were mad about the eyes for the past 3 years?
GuidanceOfficer wrote on 2021-05-05 19:44:46:

Is it just me or does this also apply to the people who were mad about the eyes for the past 3 years?
tastefulmarketing.gif
WAIT, WE'VE HAD EYE TYPES FOR THREE YEARS?

edit: oh. oh my god we have. I feel so old I still think of them as a new update deep down
WAIT, WE'VE HAD EYE TYPES FOR THREE YEARS?

edit: oh. oh my god we have. I feel so old I still think of them as a new update deep down
clyCaLS.png .

20s, male, he/him
.np7f4Fm.png about me
.np7f4Fm.png current icon:
NUuorfS.png .
People are allowed to be frustrated when their playstyle suddenly shifts when they thought it'd be stable. Deal with it. [quote name="Toska" date="2021-05-05 19:58:05" ] Is it just me or does this also apply to the people who were mad about the eyes for the past 3 years? [/quote] yes, yes it does.
People are allowed to be frustrated when their playstyle suddenly shifts when they thought it'd be stable. Deal with it.
Toska wrote on 2021-05-05 19:58:05:
Is it just me or does this also apply to the people who were mad about the eyes for the past 3 years?

yes, yes it does.
No traveling dragons please!
[quote name="Nekomata" date="2021-05-05 13:33:18" ] It's not all that surprising that the staff went back on their word. They did the same with Roundsey and the sprites (years of saying they're permanently retired and not going to be available via any other means). This isn't the first time they've gone back on their word and it likely won't be the last. This time I feel has a lot more drastic of an impact in the number of users negatively effected by the change (those who spent a ton for scattervials for example) so I see why so many are upset. I think my main gripe here is their reasoning being "In Flight Rising, if you put enough time into it, you can pretty much craft your perfect dragon. That should remain one of the most important aspects of our game." This is something many users, including myself, three years ago used as an argument for making eye types available via other means. Many suggestion threads were shut down and it seemed the staff were entirely against the idea despite the very vocal outcry. People quit over the update because their dragons were locked out of a new feature. I was one of them. Had they done this three years ago when the public disdain for the eye update was still fresh it'd have impacted far fewer people and there'd be far less discourse over this. But it's been three years. Three years is a colossal amount of time for people to sink thousand of gems into scattervials. It's a lot of time to invest in scatter vials. It's a lot of time for people to think nothing will change. While this is an update I wanted so badly at one point, I wholeheartedly agree with those who are upset. Not to say I dislike this update- I've logged on to FR for the first time in a very long time to see it- but I dislike that it's three years too late and how the long wait has made this update into something negative for many. [/quote] You put it so well. I don't hate the vials. I'll probably use them. But this REALLY messed with serious chunks of the economy, and for at least some players will have had a game-breaking negative impact. [quote name="000000" date="2021-05-05 09:20:51" ]They [b]did[/b] say multiple times that they were working on improving natural eye releases in the future. Now, I'm not sure if this was ever put into a main announcement, and if it wasn't it probably should have been, but if this decision to change the mechanic entirely was more recent (ie. they had discarded any other options they were previously looking at when they made those posts) then there isn't much they could have done because it still would have been "too late". And IMO the problem with paying people out for the Scattersights is that it was always a gamble how much they would be worth to resell, same as it is with any other limited item. There was never a guarantee that they'd end up worth so much, and there was never a guarantee that they'd stay worth that much. I see it happen all the time when something is selling for big bucks and then it gets mentioned on the forums and the market gets flooded because everyone wants to get in on it, and it drives the price back down—Obviously a different situation, but still similar in the sense that it's unpredictable and staff has never given any guarantees about the monetary worth of anything. I'd support giving the Scattersights a sellback price, but personally I think it'd be better to hold onto them and sell as they go back up in price again. If there's a demand for Scatterscrolls, there's no reason people won't want to use Scattersights for the same reason, and, unlike Scatterscrolls, Scattersights [i]will[/i] disappear one day. [/quote] They're never going back up in price. Why on earth would you buy a vial that gives you a TINY chance of the specific eyes you want when there is a vial that gives you a 100% chance of the eyes you want? That market was wiped out the instant the update was released, forever. If they released an item that let you pick the colours you wanted to change your dragon to, not a single scatterscroll more would ever be purchased again. Scattersights were also extremely stable relative to other investment items. They were never coming back (according to staff) and breeding for eyes was always going to be the only mechanic (also according to staff) so they were both limited and had a function nothing else could replicate. They were about as safe of a bet as you could make in Flight Rising - their value had been essentially guaranteed by staff communications for three years. You tolerate fluctuations in price, absolutely, that's normal in any kind of investment - but a complete and permanent gutting of the market? No, that's not normal or something anyone could have predicted when choosing scattersights as their item. This is seriously unprecedented in FR history and should not be taken lightly; they essentially set up an economic system of storing your wealth in investment items that will hold or increase in value, then liquidating when you're ready to buy something, and for the first time they've shown willingness to completely pull the rug out from under stable items with no warning. Sure makes me think about the sprites currently in my hoard, for instance. And I only had a handful of vials!!
Nekomata wrote on 2021-05-05 13:33:18:
It's not all that surprising that the staff went back on their word. They did the same with Roundsey and the sprites (years of saying they're permanently retired and not going to be available via any other means). This isn't the first time they've gone back on their word and it likely won't be the last. This time I feel has a lot more drastic of an impact in the number of users negatively effected by the change (those who spent a ton for scattervials for example) so I see why so many are upset.

I think my main gripe here is their reasoning being "In Flight Rising, if you put enough time into it, you can pretty much craft your perfect dragon. That should remain one of the most important aspects of our game." This is something many users, including myself, three years ago used as an argument for making eye types available via other means. Many suggestion threads were shut down and it seemed the staff were entirely against the idea despite the very vocal outcry. People quit over the update because their dragons were locked out of a new feature. I was one of them.

Had they done this three years ago when the public disdain for the eye update was still fresh it'd have impacted far fewer people and there'd be far less discourse over this. But it's been three years. Three years is a colossal amount of time for people to sink thousand of gems into scattervials. It's a lot of time to invest in scatter vials. It's a lot of time for people to think nothing will change. While this is an update I wanted so badly at one point, I wholeheartedly agree with those who are upset. Not to say I dislike this update- I've logged on to FR for the first time in a very long time to see it- but I dislike that it's three years too late and how the long wait has made this update into something negative for many.

You put it so well. I don't hate the vials. I'll probably use them. But this REALLY messed with serious chunks of the economy, and for at least some players will have had a game-breaking negative impact.
000000 wrote on 2021-05-05 09:20:51:
They did say multiple times that they were working on improving natural eye releases in the future. Now, I'm not sure if this was ever put into a main announcement, and if it wasn't it probably should have been, but if this decision to change the mechanic entirely was more recent (ie. they had discarded any other options they were previously looking at when they made those posts) then there isn't much they could have done because it still would have been "too late".

And IMO the problem with paying people out for the Scattersights is that it was always a gamble how much they would be worth to resell, same as it is with any other limited item. There was never a guarantee that they'd end up worth so much, and there was never a guarantee that they'd stay worth that much. I see it happen all the time when something is selling for big bucks and then it gets mentioned on the forums and the market gets flooded because everyone wants to get in on it, and it drives the price back down—Obviously a different situation, but still similar in the sense that it's unpredictable and staff has never given any guarantees about the monetary worth of anything.

I'd support giving the Scattersights a sellback price, but personally I think it'd be better to hold onto them and sell as they go back up in price again. If there's a demand for Scatterscrolls, there's no reason people won't want to use Scattersights for the same reason, and, unlike Scatterscrolls, Scattersights will disappear one day.

They're never going back up in price. Why on earth would you buy a vial that gives you a TINY chance of the specific eyes you want when there is a vial that gives you a 100% chance of the eyes you want? That market was wiped out the instant the update was released, forever. If they released an item that let you pick the colours you wanted to change your dragon to, not a single scatterscroll more would ever be purchased again.

Scattersights were also extremely stable relative to other investment items. They were never coming back (according to staff) and breeding for eyes was always going to be the only mechanic (also according to staff) so they were both limited and had a function nothing else could replicate. They were about as safe of a bet as you could make in Flight Rising - their value had been essentially guaranteed by staff communications for three years. You tolerate fluctuations in price, absolutely, that's normal in any kind of investment - but a complete and permanent gutting of the market? No, that's not normal or something anyone could have predicted when choosing scattersights as their item. This is seriously unprecedented in FR history and should not be taken lightly; they essentially set up an economic system of storing your wealth in investment items that will hold or increase in value, then liquidating when you're ready to buy something, and for the first time they've shown willingness to completely pull the rug out from under stable items with no warning.

Sure makes me think about the sprites currently in my hoard, for instance. And I only had a handful of vials!!
1 2 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 32 33