Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | POV of why some users are not happy
1 2 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
It's genuinely hilarious that some people seem to think voluntarily refusing to use a freely accessible item to try and replicate what was before a genuine challenge somehow is still equally fun. I don't think you have the slightest idea what people were getting out of that challenge before. Which is fine, obviously it never appealed to you in the same way, but your "nothing is forcing you to use the vials" comments, as if that's meant to fix the issue, are condescending.

Like, I'd love to meet the person that has decided it's a fun challenge to never buy a gene for their dragons; who has voluntarily decided to exalt otherwise perfect dragons rather than buy the gene that would make one with the colours they were after their ideal dragon. That's the same idea as just not using the vials now; there is nothing inherently fun about the difficulty, it was playing with the limitations of the mechanics people enjoyed.
It's genuinely hilarious that some people seem to think voluntarily refusing to use a freely accessible item to try and replicate what was before a genuine challenge somehow is still equally fun. I don't think you have the slightest idea what people were getting out of that challenge before. Which is fine, obviously it never appealed to you in the same way, but your "nothing is forcing you to use the vials" comments, as if that's meant to fix the issue, are condescending.

Like, I'd love to meet the person that has decided it's a fun challenge to never buy a gene for their dragons; who has voluntarily decided to exalt otherwise perfect dragons rather than buy the gene that would make one with the colours they were after their ideal dragon. That's the same idea as just not using the vials now; there is nothing inherently fun about the difficulty, it was playing with the limitations of the mechanics people enjoyed.
[quote name="Avarice" date="2021-05-08 21:17:46" ] It's genuinely hilarious that some people seem to think voluntarily refusing to use a freely accessible item to try and replicate what was before a genuine challenge somehow is still equally fun. I don't think you have the slightest idea what people were getting out of that challenge before. Which is fine, obviously it never appealed to you in the same way, but your "nothing is forcing you to use the vials" comments, as if that's meant to fix the issue, are condescending. Like, I'd love to meet the person that has decided it's a fun challenge to never buy a gene for their dragons; who has voluntarily decided to exalt otherwise perfect dragons rather than buy the gene that would make one with the colours they were after their ideal dragon. That's the same idea as just not using the vials now; there is nothing inherently fun about the difficulty, it was playing with the limitations of the mechanics people enjoyed. [/quote] There [i]are[/i] people who do challenges like that, though. Nuzlockes are popular for a reason. I've seen some really interesting and creative things along those lines, that involve all kinds of self limitations. Maybe that's not for you, but it's still a valid suggestion.
Avarice wrote on 2021-05-08 21:17:46:

There are people who do challenges like that, though. Nuzlockes are popular for a reason. I've seen some really interesting and creative things along those lines, that involve all kinds of self limitations. Maybe that's not for you, but it's still a valid suggestion.
i believe that you believe there is a heaven
where you belong.
he/him
[quote name="000000" date="2021-05-08 21:41:30" ] There [i]are[/i] people who do challenges like that, though. Nuzlockes are popular for a reason. I've seen some really interesting and creative things along those lines, that involve all kinds of self limitations. Maybe that's not for you, but it's still a valid suggestion. [/quote] Very true, tho you have to remember that while market value and personal value ar different things sometimes one can influence the other. Let's say someone hatches a triple bubblegum G1, they didn't really cared about G1's or even the pink range but they know that this dragon is so special it could go for a fortune on an auction. This strike of luck may lead them to keep and cherish said dragon. The reasons were initially influenced by the general tendencies of the market but they developed into a personal attachment. If a G1 triple wasn't such a big deal maybe that person wouldn't have thought much about it and promptly sold or exhalted that dragon. Personally the vials existance doesn't affect me as my long-term goals revolve around my Clan's lore development but to me it is sad to see that some people were so mad about the previous eye update that they just can't comprehend why some were fine with it and even preferred it. Let the people mourn a mechanic that they found exciting/profitable/fun.
000000 wrote on 2021-05-08 21:41:30:
There are people who do challenges like that, though. Nuzlockes are popular for a reason. I've seen some really interesting and creative things along those lines, that involve all kinds of self limitations. Maybe that's not for you, but it's still a valid suggestion.
Very true, tho you have to remember that while market value and personal value ar different things sometimes one can influence the other.

Let's say someone hatches a triple bubblegum G1, they didn't really cared about G1's or even the pink range but they know that this dragon is so special it could go for a fortune on an auction.

This strike of luck may lead them to keep and cherish said dragon. The reasons were initially influenced by the general tendencies of the market but they developed into a personal attachment. If a G1 triple wasn't such a big deal maybe that person wouldn't have thought much about it and promptly sold or exhalted that dragon.

Personally the vials existance doesn't affect me as my long-term goals revolve around my Clan's lore development but to me it is sad to see that some people were so mad about the previous eye update that they just can't comprehend why some were fine with it and even preferred it.

Let the people mourn a mechanic that they found exciting/profitable/fun.
2A6X4Q7.png
Basically there's a difference between internally and externally motivated players. The players that say things like "just make a personal challenge" don't understand the needs of the externally motivated player.

From the perspective of someone externally motivated, they may think 'well why would I do a challenge for no reason? Now my g1 primal is worth a tiny fraction of what it used to be, and why would I continue what I used to do (say, hatching eggs) when there's easier ways to do it. My gameplay lost meaning.' Working within the confines of the old system was what made it fun for those kinds of players. The old system gave primals a lot more rarity and it's a sort of rarity that was easily understood by everyone playing the game. I think this kind of need to be validated externally is what made the accusations of 'elitism' fly around. The internally motivated players, I think, are the kind of players who don't understand why others don't like a dragon 'for what it is', aka 'if you truly loved this dragon, why are you upset it lost value'. But since these dragons are pixels, it's not wrong to value them mostly or only for stonks or rarity.

It also ties back into what others have brought up as 'customization' vs 'challenge' kind of players. The 'customization' people are just happy they can change their dragons eyes to primal much more easily now. I think those players are usually internally driven; they might think well, maybe I sunk a lot of money into my old g1 primals, but I still like them and I'm stoked I get to primal eye my other dragons too. I think the 'challenge' people are more externally driven and prefer 'site imposed challenges' over 'personal challenges'. So those who decided to get into primal eyes because they liked the challenge of it, or the rarity, or the expense have basically lost that reason to like primals anymore.
Basically there's a difference between internally and externally motivated players. The players that say things like "just make a personal challenge" don't understand the needs of the externally motivated player.

From the perspective of someone externally motivated, they may think 'well why would I do a challenge for no reason? Now my g1 primal is worth a tiny fraction of what it used to be, and why would I continue what I used to do (say, hatching eggs) when there's easier ways to do it. My gameplay lost meaning.' Working within the confines of the old system was what made it fun for those kinds of players. The old system gave primals a lot more rarity and it's a sort of rarity that was easily understood by everyone playing the game. I think this kind of need to be validated externally is what made the accusations of 'elitism' fly around. The internally motivated players, I think, are the kind of players who don't understand why others don't like a dragon 'for what it is', aka 'if you truly loved this dragon, why are you upset it lost value'. But since these dragons are pixels, it's not wrong to value them mostly or only for stonks or rarity.

It also ties back into what others have brought up as 'customization' vs 'challenge' kind of players. The 'customization' people are just happy they can change their dragons eyes to primal much more easily now. I think those players are usually internally driven; they might think well, maybe I sunk a lot of money into my old g1 primals, but I still like them and I'm stoked I get to primal eye my other dragons too. I think the 'challenge' people are more externally driven and prefer 'site imposed challenges' over 'personal challenges'. So those who decided to get into primal eyes because they liked the challenge of it, or the rarity, or the expense have basically lost that reason to like primals anymore.
tastefulmarketing.gif
But I'm both externally driven and internally, yet the part of my playstyle that mourns the loss is being called elitist just for having a different playstyle. I don't even really want RNG; I want a challenge. I love working within the confines of a system because it sparks more creativity than if I was given a sandbox.

It isn't and won't ever be elitist just to want an external challenge still, unless I actively went around attacking people for their playstyle (I wouldn't). I don't even have primals to begin with, and my current dragons are not exactly g1s. I have exactly 3 permas and it's because I think they're pretty. That is because relatively I am a newer player, and have much to work with still.

Despite that, I still am a bit sad about this change because now I am thinking "what now"? exactly as you said. Some people are saying the existence of non-self imposed challenge alone is elitist which I heavily disagree with. When all your dragons are prettified and virtually identical to every other dragon, loss of interest is going to hit pretty hard because right now that's the only side of the game that exists. Some people (like I was planning) got a lot of their joy from hatching rare pretties. Now there really is no point because every dragon can have a vial slapped for a meager 500kt, which isn't the solution I was looking for. Your dragons that were imperfect that might have meant a lot to you because it was triumphing over the odds of the system are now worth essentially fodder price, both emotionally and economically. That is, from my 'external' perspective, the problem. I was really looking forward to my first primal hatch, but now? Not so much. Why, when I can just slap a vial on a pretty looking g1 and call it a day?

Feels pretty bad to be mainly on the 'challenge' player spectrum right now. I haven't seen anyone lash out calling veiled primals inferior, but I have absolutely seen pro-vial people call others elitist just for wanting the distinction to carry on their playstyle even though we've found methods that would not impact their dragons in any way. Even in threads meant to mourn the loss of the mechanic, people having been jumping down others' throats because they aren't as happy about the update as they "should" be. They imply that others wanting the distinction at all, even just for their playstyle to make decisions for their lair, is elitist. Well, I just can't agree on that. It feels pretty bad and I can't imagine what some older players are feeling. At first I was rather happy at this update because yay attainability, but I can't shake an uneasy and looming melancholy about it. What now?
But I'm both externally driven and internally, yet the part of my playstyle that mourns the loss is being called elitist just for having a different playstyle. I don't even really want RNG; I want a challenge. I love working within the confines of a system because it sparks more creativity than if I was given a sandbox.

It isn't and won't ever be elitist just to want an external challenge still, unless I actively went around attacking people for their playstyle (I wouldn't). I don't even have primals to begin with, and my current dragons are not exactly g1s. I have exactly 3 permas and it's because I think they're pretty. That is because relatively I am a newer player, and have much to work with still.

Despite that, I still am a bit sad about this change because now I am thinking "what now"? exactly as you said. Some people are saying the existence of non-self imposed challenge alone is elitist which I heavily disagree with. When all your dragons are prettified and virtually identical to every other dragon, loss of interest is going to hit pretty hard because right now that's the only side of the game that exists. Some people (like I was planning) got a lot of their joy from hatching rare pretties. Now there really is no point because every dragon can have a vial slapped for a meager 500kt, which isn't the solution I was looking for. Your dragons that were imperfect that might have meant a lot to you because it was triumphing over the odds of the system are now worth essentially fodder price, both emotionally and economically. That is, from my 'external' perspective, the problem. I was really looking forward to my first primal hatch, but now? Not so much. Why, when I can just slap a vial on a pretty looking g1 and call it a day?

Feels pretty bad to be mainly on the 'challenge' player spectrum right now. I haven't seen anyone lash out calling veiled primals inferior, but I have absolutely seen pro-vial people call others elitist just for wanting the distinction to carry on their playstyle even though we've found methods that would not impact their dragons in any way. Even in threads meant to mourn the loss of the mechanic, people having been jumping down others' throats because they aren't as happy about the update as they "should" be. They imply that others wanting the distinction at all, even just for their playstyle to make decisions for their lair, is elitist. Well, I just can't agree on that. It feels pretty bad and I can't imagine what some older players are feeling. At first I was rather happy at this update because yay attainability, but I can't shake an uneasy and looming melancholy about it. What now?
[quote name="000000" date="2021-05-08 21:41:30" ] [quote name="Avarice" date="2021-05-08 21:17:46" ] It's genuinely hilarious that some people seem to think voluntarily refusing to use a freely accessible item to try and replicate what was before a genuine challenge somehow is still equally fun. I don't think you have the slightest idea what people were getting out of that challenge before. Which is fine, obviously it never appealed to you in the same way, but your "nothing is forcing you to use the vials" comments, as if that's meant to fix the issue, are condescending. Like, I'd love to meet the person that has decided it's a fun challenge to never buy a gene for their dragons; who has voluntarily decided to exalt otherwise perfect dragons rather than buy the gene that would make one with the colours they were after their ideal dragon. That's the same idea as just not using the vials now; there is nothing inherently fun about the difficulty, it was playing with the limitations of the mechanics people enjoyed. [/quote] There [i]are[/i] people who do challenges like that, though. Nuzlockes are popular for a reason. I've seen some really interesting and creative things along those lines, that involve all kinds of self limitations. Maybe that's not for you, but it's still a valid suggestion. [/quote] It's not that it's not for me - I've played around with Nuzlockes before. The problem is that choosing to do a Nuzlocke and choosing to play within the limitations of game mechanics are two very different approaches to challenge-style playing. I'm sure there's overlap, with people who get a kick out of both, but the appeal of a Nuzlocke is not replicated by the appeal of inherent game mechanic restrictions.

It's not that it's not for me - I've played around with Nuzlockes before. The problem is that choosing to do a Nuzlocke and choosing to play within the limitations of game mechanics are two very different approaches to challenge-style playing. I'm sure there's overlap, with people who get a kick out of both, but the appeal of a Nuzlocke is not replicated by the appeal of inherent game mechanic restrictions.
[quote name="Avarice" date="2021-05-08 23:03:35" ] [quote name="000000" date="2021-05-08 21:41:30" ] [quote name="Avarice" date="2021-05-08 21:17:46" ] It's genuinely hilarious that some people seem to think voluntarily refusing to use a freely accessible item to try and replicate what was before a genuine challenge somehow is still equally fun. I don't think you have the slightest idea what people were getting out of that challenge before. Which is fine, obviously it never appealed to you in the same way, but your "nothing is forcing you to use the vials" comments, as if that's meant to fix the issue, are condescending. Like, I'd love to meet the person that has decided it's a fun challenge to never buy a gene for their dragons; who has voluntarily decided to exalt otherwise perfect dragons rather than buy the gene that would make one with the colours they were after their ideal dragon. That's the same idea as just not using the vials now; there is nothing inherently fun about the difficulty, it was playing with the limitations of the mechanics people enjoyed. [/quote] There [i]are[/i] people who do challenges like that, though. Nuzlockes are popular for a reason. I've seen some really interesting and creative things along those lines, that involve all kinds of self limitations. Maybe that's not for you, but it's still a valid suggestion. [/quote] It's not that it's not for me - I've played around with Nuzlockes before. The problem is that choosing to do a Nuzlocke and choosing to play within the limitations of game mechanics are two very different approaches to challenge-style playing. I'm sure there's overlap, with people who get a kick out of both, but the appeal of a Nuzlocke is not replicated by the appeal of inherent game mechanic restrictions. [/quote] I can affirm that I had the same problem with Pokemon games being too easy - and that Nuzlockes did nothing for me. I stopped liking the franchise because of it, and only return for the older games that still have an ounce of challenge in them. Those games, while never exactly 'hard', still hold up for me in a way that the newer ones do not. I squeezed as much life with randomizers as I could, but even that wasn't enough to keep me engaged once I'd seen it all. I imagine in FR that is what some of the older players are currently feeling. It's a valid suggestion for some, granted, but the type of "challenge" players that are currently vocal might find that solution short-sighted.
Avarice wrote on 2021-05-08 23:03:35:

It's not that it's not for me - I've played around with Nuzlockes before. The problem is that choosing to do a Nuzlocke and choosing to play within the limitations of game mechanics are two very different approaches to challenge-style playing. I'm sure there's overlap, with people who get a kick out of both, but the appeal of a Nuzlocke is not replicated by the appeal of inherent game mechanic restrictions.

I can affirm that I had the same problem with Pokemon games being too easy - and that Nuzlockes did nothing for me. I stopped liking the franchise because of it, and only return for the older games that still have an ounce of challenge in them. Those games, while never exactly 'hard', still hold up for me in a way that the newer ones do not. I squeezed as much life with randomizers as I could, but even that wasn't enough to keep me engaged once I'd seen it all. I imagine in FR that is what some of the older players are currently feeling.

It's a valid suggestion for some, granted, but the type of "challenge" players that are currently vocal might find that solution short-sighted.
[quote name="Toska" date="2021-05-08 22:15:55" ] Basically there's a difference between internally and externally motivated players. The players that say things like "just make a personal challenge" don't understand the needs of the externally motivated player. From the perspective of someone externally motivated, they may think 'well why would I do a challenge for no reason? Now my g1 primal is worth a tiny fraction of what it used to be, and why would I continue what I used to do (say, hatching eggs) when there's easier ways to do it. My gameplay lost meaning.' Working within the confines of the old system was what made it fun for those kinds of players. The old system gave primals a lot more rarity and it's a sort of rarity that was easily understood by everyone playing the game. I think this kind of need to be validated externally is what made the accusations of 'elitism' fly around. The internally motivated players, I think, are the kind of players who don't understand why others don't like a dragon 'for what it is', aka 'if you truly loved this dragon, why are you upset it lost value'. But since these dragons are pixels, it's not wrong to value them mostly or only for stonks or rarity. It also ties back into what others have brought up as 'customization' vs 'challenge' kind of players. The 'customization' people are just happy they can change their dragons eyes to primal much more easily now. I think those players are usually internally driven; they might think well, maybe I sunk a lot of money into my old g1 primals, but I still like them and I'm stoked I get to primal eye my other dragons too. I think the 'challenge' people are more externally driven and prefer 'site imposed challenges' over 'personal challenges'. So those who decided to get into primal eyes because they liked the challenge of it, or the rarity, or the expense have basically lost that reason to like primals anymore. [/quote] Yeah, what you said. I like the challenge, and I never scry my dragons with eye types that was near impossible to be reached before the update was made, and I don't even have dream dragons
Toska wrote on 2021-05-08 22:15:55:

Yeah, what you said. I like the challenge, and I never scry my dragons with eye types that was near impossible to be reached before the update was made, and I don't even have dream dragons
oN0doZI.gif

SilverRipple
Female ~ She/They
FR+15 hrs
[quote name="Toska" date="2021-05-08 19:00:53" ] [...] Stop presuming things for the whole userbase. I've been here since day one of the site, you don't speak for me. [...] I think if anything, most people are now saying staff should have just reversed their decision 3 years earlier, which is the opposite of what you're implying. And stop glossing over that people genuinely lost a lot of gems over this change, where as nobody lost any money over the initial eye change. [...][/quote] It's not presuming things for the whole userbase, and since you think being here since day one makes a difference, so have I. If you think it doesn't apply to some people, you're also acknowledging that it [i]does[/i] apply to some people. Not once did I say it applies to every single player. I said it applies to long-time players. It applies to users that had been around for the 5 years before the eye changes became a thing. That in no way is saying it applies to [b]every single one[/b] of them. It means "this is the group it affected the most." I didn't realize that people thought the staff were time-travelers, telling them they should have done this 3 years ago. Sure it was a mistake that should have been changed from day one, but it wasn't. What now? They can only move forward and here they are trying to move forward, yet people come out saying this was a mistake. So which is it? They made a mistake to not do this and now they made a mistake [i]to[/i] do it. It's funny that you think I'm not in the pool of people that lost out because of this change. [quote name="Celinikal" date="2021-05-08 21:08:36" ]I'm not going to do a challenge when I can play G&G and just buy the eyes. [...] As someone who enjoys collecting things, finding a natural primal now is impossible. For all I know, the seller just slapped an eye vial on a G1. How would I know? This kills the collection fun. If you want to be happy about the update, fine. But you're the one posting that people have 'no reason to think the update was bad' in a thread that is literally filled with people unhappy about the update. [/quote] That's understandable and I get that, I understand why people want a way to officially have their dragons marked as natural or not, but I also realize how badly a turn that could make things take. People already harass others for their raffle dragons, and likely harass people for their primal g1 hatches, so having markers would just help those kinds of people to target them even more. Of course there's blocking and all but at some point it just gets exhausting and people would rather just leave or give up their dragon than be steadfast. However, I did not say that people have no reason. I stated that this change is not a reason to [b]demand Imperial scrolls be brought back[/b], and that if people think it's bad solely for its use then I am asking do they think it's appropriate to expect people to replace dragons they spent how many years and how many thousands of gems to get to.
Toska wrote on 2021-05-08 19:00:53:
[...] Stop presuming things for the whole userbase. I've been here since day one of the site, you don't speak for me. [...] I think if anything, most people are now saying staff should have just reversed their decision 3 years earlier, which is the opposite of what you're implying. And stop glossing over that people genuinely lost a lot of gems over this change, where as nobody lost any money over the initial eye change. [...]

It's not presuming things for the whole userbase, and since you think being here since day one makes a difference, so have I. If you think it doesn't apply to some people, you're also acknowledging that it does apply to some people. Not once did I say it applies to every single player. I said it applies to long-time players. It applies to users that had been around for the 5 years before the eye changes became a thing. That in no way is saying it applies to every single one of them. It means "this is the group it affected the most."

I didn't realize that people thought the staff were time-travelers, telling them they should have done this 3 years ago. Sure it was a mistake that should have been changed from day one, but it wasn't. What now? They can only move forward and here they are trying to move forward, yet people come out saying this was a mistake. So which is it? They made a mistake to not do this and now they made a mistake to do it.

It's funny that you think I'm not in the pool of people that lost out because of this change.

Celinikal wrote on 2021-05-08 21:08:36:
I'm not going to do a challenge when I can play G&G and just buy the eyes. [...] As someone who enjoys collecting things, finding a natural primal now is impossible. For all I know, the seller just slapped an eye vial on a G1. How would I know? This kills the collection fun.

If you want to be happy about the update, fine. But you're the one posting that people have 'no reason to think the update was bad' in a thread that is literally filled with people unhappy about the update.

That's understandable and I get that, I understand why people want a way to officially have their dragons marked as natural or not, but I also realize how badly a turn that could make things take. People already harass others for their raffle dragons, and likely harass people for their primal g1 hatches, so having markers would just help those kinds of people to target them even more. Of course there's blocking and all but at some point it just gets exhausting and people would rather just leave or give up their dragon than be steadfast.

However, I did not say that people have no reason. I stated that this change is not a reason to demand Imperial scrolls be brought back, and that if people think it's bad solely for its use then I am asking do they think it's appropriate to expect people to replace dragons they spent how many years and how many thousands of gems to get to.
*~*~*~*~*
Previously
Morichinatsu
*~*~*~*~*
FBJNgPs.png 8eLgwHU.png tuKAvP2.png 8a4I5lk.png FBJNgPs.png
I
VlDJnIY.png
polar
bears
and
jmrzRk7.pngs
I do not get these "you can still challenge yourself, just don't use the vials!" answers. That was the game I was playing and now it's gone.

Saying something in the lines of "well, all those eyes were easily accessible to you, just use the scrying workshop, make your dream dragon, save the image and call it a day!" would be considered utterly insensitive, because it is obvious it's not the game people are playing.
I do not get these "you can still challenge yourself, just don't use the vials!" answers. That was the game I was playing and now it's gone.

Saying something in the lines of "well, all those eyes were easily accessible to you, just use the scrying workshop, make your dream dragon, save the image and call it a day!" would be considered utterly insensitive, because it is obvious it's not the game people are playing.
1 2 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33