Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Exalting Unnamed
1 2 3 4
i wanted to redo my reply to the thread because i wrote my initial reply at like 12am and realized it wasn't very good [size=2]i know we're not supposed to necessarily discourage people from posting suggestions, let alone repeat ones, but there is something to be said about discouraging the repeated posting of topics that upset people - like this one. a simple topic search might've changed your decision to make the thread because there's no take about this topic that's fresh[/size] [quote name="Laratia" date="2024-02-23 10:57:42" ] I didn't realize people could exalt unnamed dragons and this is frustrating (it sucks).[/quote] i don't mean to be rude but how did you not know this when it prompts you with the dragons name (or Unnamed) when you decide to exalt the dragon? it even explains the process and says its irreversible. so you made the choice to exalt the dragon unnamed then... complained about it? i don't get it. it doesn't suck. it's the mechanic that you agreed to when you read "Do you wish to continue?" and pressed the [i]exalt[/i] button.. though i agree with other people in the thread that there needs to be more to the prompt especially for new players, or just everyone in general because players returning from a long hiatus might need the refresher. but i'll have to say this part really sticks out to me: [quote name="Laratia" date="2024-02-23 10:57:42" ]2. There is a way to name previously exalted, unnamed dragons.[/quote] what you're saying is that your discomfort is so much more important than how other people play that you would choose to forcibly subvert their decision, whether accidental or purposeful, because you hate the idea of unnamed dragons THAT MUCH. quoting myself from another thread on the same topic because it sums up my feelings pretty well -- [quote name="hungryhobbits" date="2024-01-31 08:37:19" ] people that hate unnamed dragons feel that their discomfort over a dragon not having a name is MORE important than a person choosing to keep a dragon unnamed for whatever reason, when at the end of the day they are both equally important but the deciding factor is [b]if the dragon is no longer in your lair then you have no say[/b] a personal example: i bought a dragon from someone who refused to sell hatchlings from their lair until they wrote an individualized bio for that dragon regardless of the potential buyers preference or lore, i had to wait for my chosen hatchling until this happened and upon receiving that dragon i immediately deleted that bio because it didn't mean anything to me - if that person saw what i did and was incentivized to do so, they could not then complain and demand i either restore the bio or give the dragon back because it was my purchase and in my lair and mine to do with what i wanted.[/quote] having unnamed dragons, either active or exalted, in your progeny or parental list are things that are extremely minor discomforts that you (general) need to learn how to live with. accept that you made a newbie mistake of exalting a few dragons unnamed, or you sold some unnamed and someone else exalted them or they sat in a lair for six months unnamed before finally being named (i'm guilty of this) or WHATEVER, and get over it. and as a side note: you have a 45 day window to get a dragon that you exalted back and do whatever you want to with it, including renaming it then immediately exalting it again. once those 45 days are up then you no longer have that choice. so they literally implemented something to help with this - but perhaps like a lot of things on this site, most people don't know about it as a function because it's convoluted to get to that option - so here is a [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/support/dragon-restoration]link[/url] to it [size=2]edit to this ^: when i had originally looked it up, i had seen something say it was only 2 weeks, so either they extended it and i didn't know, or it's always been 45 days and i'm an idiot. either way the correction has been made.
i wanted to redo my reply to the thread because i wrote my initial reply at like 12am and realized it wasn't very good

i know we're not supposed to necessarily discourage people from posting suggestions, let alone repeat ones, but there is something to be said about discouraging the repeated posting of topics that upset people - like this one. a simple topic search might've changed your decision to make the thread because there's no take about this topic that's fresh

Laratia wrote on 2024-02-23 10:57:42:
I didn't realize people could exalt unnamed dragons and this is frustrating (it sucks).
i don't mean to be rude but how did you not know this when it prompts you with the dragons name (or Unnamed) when you decide to exalt the dragon? it even explains the process and says its irreversible. so you made the choice to exalt the dragon unnamed then... complained about it? i don't get it. it doesn't suck. it's the mechanic that you agreed to when you read "Do you wish to continue?" and pressed the exalt button..

though i agree with other people in the thread that there needs to be more to the prompt especially for new players, or just everyone in general because players returning from a long hiatus might need the refresher.

but i'll have to say this part really sticks out to me:
2. There is a way to name previously exalted, unnamed dragons.
what you're saying is that your discomfort is so much more important than how other people play that you would choose to forcibly subvert their decision, whether accidental or purposeful, because you hate the idea of unnamed dragons THAT MUCH.

quoting myself from another thread on the same topic because it sums up my feelings pretty well --
hungryhobbits wrote on 2024-01-31 08:37:19:
people that hate unnamed dragons feel that their discomfort over a dragon not having a name is MORE important than a person choosing to keep a dragon unnamed for whatever reason, when at the end of the day they are both equally important but the deciding factor is if the dragon is no longer in your lair then you have no say

a personal example: i bought a dragon from someone who refused to sell hatchlings from their lair until they wrote an individualized bio for that dragon regardless of the potential buyers preference or lore, i had to wait for my chosen hatchling until this happened and upon receiving that dragon i immediately deleted that bio because it didn't mean anything to me - if that person saw what i did and was incentivized to do so, they could not then complain and demand i either restore the bio or give the dragon back because it was my purchase and in my lair and mine to do with what i wanted.
having unnamed dragons, either active or exalted, in your progeny or parental list are things that are extremely minor discomforts that you (general) need to learn how to live with. accept that you made a newbie mistake of exalting a few dragons unnamed, or you sold some unnamed and someone else exalted them or they sat in a lair for six months unnamed before finally being named (i'm guilty of this) or WHATEVER, and get over it.

and as a side note: you have a 45 day window to get a dragon that you exalted back and do whatever you want to with it, including renaming it then immediately exalting it again. once those 45 days are up then you no longer have that choice. so they literally implemented something to help with this - but perhaps like a lot of things on this site, most people don't know about it as a function because it's convoluted to get to that option - so here is a link to it

edit to this ^: when i had originally looked it up, i had seen something say it was only 2 weeks, so either they extended it and i didn't know, or it's always been 45 days and i'm an idiot. either way the correction has been made.
41328.png -
cillian || adult || he/they
Candy Coated Dragons
adopts: obelisk | aether
[quote name="hungryhobbits" date="2024-02-24 03:45:33" ] [quote name="Laratia" date="2024-02-23 10:57:42" ] I didn't realize people could exalt unnamed dragons and this is frustrating (it sucks).[/quote] i don't mean to be rude but how did you not know this when it prompts you with the dragons name (or Unnamed) when you decide to exalt the dragon? it even explains the process and says its irreversible. so you made the choice to exalt the dragon unnamed then... complained about it? i don't get it. it doesn't suck. it's the mechanic that you agreed to when you read "Do you wish to continue?" and pressed the [i]exalt[/i] button..[/quote] Threadstarter didn't exalt the dragons in question. But I agree with the general tenor of the replies that Unnamed is valid. Unless something gets implemented that lets you hide the list of offspring in part or in full, the best thing is to name them yourself. Some people even offer renaming scrolls when selling/giving away already named dragons.
hungryhobbits wrote on 2024-02-24 03:45:33:
I didn't realize people could exalt unnamed dragons and this is frustrating (it sucks).
i don't mean to be rude but how did you not know this when it prompts you with the dragons name (or Unnamed) when you decide to exalt the dragon? it even explains the process and says its irreversible. so you made the choice to exalt the dragon unnamed then... complained about it? i don't get it. it doesn't suck. it's the mechanic that you agreed to when you read "Do you wish to continue?" and pressed the exalt button..

Threadstarter didn't exalt the dragons in question.

But I agree with the general tenor of the replies that Unnamed is valid. Unless something gets implemented that lets you hide the list of offspring in part or in full, the best thing is to name them yourself. Some people even offer renaming scrolls when selling/giving away already named dragons.
"These suggestions would prevent people's lore from being messed up by someone who didn't care enough to name their fodder dragons before exalting them."

Once a dragon is out of your lair, your lore has nothing to do with it. It is no longer yours.

Please do not control what people do with dragons they paid for. They gave you money.

Personally, I prefer Unnamed dragons to a lot of names.

https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/2987630

My progen's second offspring is called FartyPants. So much better than Unnamed. Very aesthetic
"These suggestions would prevent people's lore from being messed up by someone who didn't care enough to name their fodder dragons before exalting them."

Once a dragon is out of your lair, your lore has nothing to do with it. It is no longer yours.

Please do not control what people do with dragons they paid for. They gave you money.

Personally, I prefer Unnamed dragons to a lot of names.

https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/2987630

My progen's second offspring is called FartyPants. So much better than Unnamed. Very aesthetic
I have mixed feelings about this subject...

I agree that players shouldn't be able to control what other players do with their dragons, and that once it's out of your lair it is not yours.

But exalting an Unnamed dragon for 'lore' doesn't make sense to me as an argument against this, specifically if it's the offspring of another player's dragon. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know the only way to see exalted dragons without keeping their link/ID is through the offspring list... So if you've exalted an offspring of one of my dragons, that decision has a permanent impact on only my dragon. That kinda seems like forcing things on another player, no?

Despite that, though, I don't support this particular solution. As others said, there are reasons to exalt 'Unnamed', and some other options are just as bad (if not worse). I think a better option is making sure new players are very clear on what exalting does (and what traces of it are left behind), and maybe a way to customize offspring list.

I think a decent way to do that would be a toggle on each child, and a 'see all' button available to any player viewing that dragon's page. This could also help lore lairs, for example if they get a dragon with offspring from a previous partner but only want to see the ones with its new partner, or hiding non-lore friendly offspring, etc. The 'see all' button being there for all players lessens the possibility of people abusing hiding specific offspring to scam people when selling their dragons (like hiding unnamed/badly named offspring from viewers to raise the sell price or something).

Of course, yes, the most basic solution is to name dragons before selling them. I'm guilty myself of having a dragon sell unnamed and getting frustrated to see it exalted unnamed or named 'Sacrifice' or gibberish. But that frustration is towards myself, because I'm the only one to blame for it - they are free to name (or not) their dragon however they want, a concept independent of exalting.
I have mixed feelings about this subject...

I agree that players shouldn't be able to control what other players do with their dragons, and that once it's out of your lair it is not yours.

But exalting an Unnamed dragon for 'lore' doesn't make sense to me as an argument against this, specifically if it's the offspring of another player's dragon. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know the only way to see exalted dragons without keeping their link/ID is through the offspring list... So if you've exalted an offspring of one of my dragons, that decision has a permanent impact on only my dragon. That kinda seems like forcing things on another player, no?

Despite that, though, I don't support this particular solution. As others said, there are reasons to exalt 'Unnamed', and some other options are just as bad (if not worse). I think a better option is making sure new players are very clear on what exalting does (and what traces of it are left behind), and maybe a way to customize offspring list.

I think a decent way to do that would be a toggle on each child, and a 'see all' button available to any player viewing that dragon's page. This could also help lore lairs, for example if they get a dragon with offspring from a previous partner but only want to see the ones with its new partner, or hiding non-lore friendly offspring, etc. The 'see all' button being there for all players lessens the possibility of people abusing hiding specific offspring to scam people when selling their dragons (like hiding unnamed/badly named offspring from viewers to raise the sell price or something).

Of course, yes, the most basic solution is to name dragons before selling them. I'm guilty myself of having a dragon sell unnamed and getting frustrated to see it exalted unnamed or named 'Sacrifice' or gibberish. But that frustration is towards myself, because I'm the only one to blame for it - they are free to name (or not) their dragon however they want, a concept independent of exalting.
I made a suggestion to fix this a while back and it didn't seem to be as unpopular as they usually are : https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/3313632/1

Basically, Unnamed are valid and your offspring list should be easier to maintain on your own. You should be able to edit your offspring list to show only the offspring that are canon on your dragon's page. Or any babies you want, for all that matters.

Since Unnamed are only seen as "bad" because they "ruin" an offspring list, being able to customise your own list would probably help stop these complains while eventually allowing more freedom to unnamed dragons.....for example being able to unnamed a dragon....
I made a suggestion to fix this a while back and it didn't seem to be as unpopular as they usually are : https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/3313632/1

Basically, Unnamed are valid and your offspring list should be easier to maintain on your own. You should be able to edit your offspring list to show only the offspring that are canon on your dragon's page. Or any babies you want, for all that matters.

Since Unnamed are only seen as "bad" because they "ruin" an offspring list, being able to customise your own list would probably help stop these complains while eventually allowing more freedom to unnamed dragons.....for example being able to unnamed a dragon....
[quote name="KeiranTrick" date="2024-02-24 08:19:36" ] But exalting an Unnamed dragon for 'lore' doesn't make sense to me as an argument against this, specifically if it's the offspring of another player's dragon. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know the only way to see exalted dragons without keeping their link/ID is through the offspring list... So if you've exalted an offspring of one of my dragons, that decision has a permanent impact on only my dragon. That kinda seems like forcing things on another player, no? [/quote] The thing is, this doesn't [i]only[/i] affect dragons you exalt from other players. It also affects your own bred dragons. I exalt all my wildclaws unnamed due to my lore; they need to earn a name, via battle, so they only get named if they're used in the coliseum. Otherwise they stay unnamed for eternity (unless I buy one that's been pre-named in which case that name's non canon). Wildclaws I breed and exalt immediately get exalted unnamed. That's my lore. This 'solution' would affect my bred dragons in a way I don't want them affected, just to make someone else feel better. That's the problem with these 'solutions'; all of them offer ways to make their [i]own[/i] offspring lists fit their lore and aesthetic while ignoring that it also does the opposite to people who breed dragons in their own lair and aren't even involved. That's the argument about lore, not that it affects dragons bought and then exalted, but that it affects [i]everyone[/i] regardless of their involvement in a specific niche of play/whether or not they wanted such a change and for the majority of people it would be a [i]negative[/i] impact, not a positive one. Also, minor correction that you can search an exalted dragon in the dragon search as well-and when you do, it comes up as exalted to whatever deity the exalter exalted it to, and changes if they change flight which is one of the reasons we know dragons are linked to accounts even after exalting and therefore still the property of the exalter even if they're no longer in their lair.
KeiranTrick wrote on 2024-02-24 08:19:36:
The thing is, this doesn't only affect dragons you exalt from other players. It also affects your own bred dragons. I exalt all my wildclaws unnamed due to my lore; they need to earn a name, via battle, so they only get named if they're used in the coliseum. Otherwise they stay unnamed for eternity (unless I buy one that's been pre-named in which case that name's non canon). Wildclaws I breed and exalt immediately get exalted unnamed. That's my lore.

This 'solution' would affect my bred dragons in a way I don't want them affected, just to make someone else feel better. That's the problem with these 'solutions'; all of them offer ways to make their own offspring lists fit their lore and aesthetic while ignoring that it also does the opposite to people who breed dragons in their own lair and aren't even involved.

That's the argument about lore, not that it affects dragons bought and then exalted, but that it affects everyone regardless of their involvement in a specific niche of play/whether or not they wanted such a change and for the majority of people it would be a negative impact, not a positive one.

Also, minor correction that you can search an exalted dragon in the dragon search as well-and when you do, it comes up as exalted to whatever deity the exalter exalted it to, and changes if they change flight which is one of the reasons we know dragons are linked to accounts even after exalting and therefore still the property of the exalter even if they're no longer in their lair.
unknown.png
Coli Grinding Services
Current goal: ???: ???/??? saved (0/1 obtained)
[quote name="KeiranTrick" date="2024-02-24 08:19:36" ] So if you've exalted an offspring of one of my dragons, that decision has a permanent impact on only my dragon. That kinda seems like forcing things on another player, no?[/quote] no actually it doesnt seem like that. the great thing about it is that no one is forcing you to sell a dragon unnamed, that's 100% in your control. if YOU made the choice to sell the dragon unnamed then you made the decision that you were fine with the potential outcome of the dragon going unnamed for however long it takes the person to name it or that the person might exalt it unnamed in exchange for a monetary amount of your choosing! and upon that transaction being complete your offspring list no longer matters [b]why should anyone have to take [i]your[/i] offspring list into consideration when naming [i]their[/i] dragon?[/b]
So if you've exalted an offspring of one of my dragons, that decision has a permanent impact on only my dragon. That kinda seems like forcing things on another player, no?

no actually it doesnt seem like that. the great thing about it is that no one is forcing you to sell a dragon unnamed, that's 100% in your control.

if YOU made the choice to sell the dragon unnamed then you made the decision that you were fine with the potential outcome of the dragon going unnamed for however long it takes the person to name it or that the person might exalt it unnamed in exchange for a monetary amount of your choosing! and upon that transaction being complete your offspring list no longer matters

why should anyone have to take your offspring list into consideration when naming their dragon?
41328.png -
cillian || adult || he/they
Candy Coated Dragons
adopts: obelisk | aether
[quote name="KeiranTrick" date="2024-02-24 08:19:36" ] So if you've exalted an offspring of one of my dragons, that decision has a permanent impact on only my dragon. That kinda seems like forcing things on another player, no? [/quote] And you could have prevented that permanent impact with either keeping the dragon or naming it while it was actually your dragon. If you sell it you lose any right to any decision the new owner makes with [i][b]their [/b][/i]dragon (unless, obviously, they are TOS) Quit making other people's dragons your problem. If you don't like that someone else exalts [b][i]their [/i][/b] dragon unnamed, then name it yourself, or keep it. It's not that hard... [quote name="KeiranTrick" date="2024-02-24 08:19:36" ] But exalting an Unnamed dragon for 'lore' doesn't make sense to me as an argument against this, specifically if it's the offspring of another player's dragon. [/quote] So you're saying someone elses lore is invalid because you don't like how it looks on your offspring list? There are several people who posted unnamed lore dragons in this thread. You don't get to decide which lore is okay as an argument and which isn't. If I decided to exalt a dragon I bought unnamed, because I decided that some priest of mine has to send 10 unnamed dragons to the Plaguebringer, for whatever reason, than I get to do that because I bought the dragon and you sold it unnamed. My lore doesn't have to care about your offspring list. Disclamer: I am not trying to pick on you specifically. You've just wrote arguments that I've heard too often in the past. I wouldn't be opposed to auto-naming every hatchling on birth. I would actually prefer that cause then I wouldn't have to spend 5 minutes a day naming all my unnamed fodder before I go in the coli. But only if in turn Unnamed loses its status as forbidden name.
So if you've exalted an offspring of one of my dragons, that decision has a permanent impact on only my dragon. That kinda seems like forcing things on another player, no?
And you could have prevented that permanent impact with either keeping the dragon or naming it while it was actually your dragon. If you sell it you lose any right to any decision the new owner makes with their dragon (unless, obviously, they are TOS)

Quit making other people's dragons your problem. If you don't like that someone else exalts their dragon unnamed, then name it yourself, or keep it. It's not that hard...
But exalting an Unnamed dragon for 'lore' doesn't make sense to me as an argument against this, specifically if it's the offspring of another player's dragon.
So you're saying someone elses lore is invalid because you don't like how it looks on your offspring list? There are several people who posted unnamed lore dragons in this thread. You don't get to decide which lore is okay as an argument and which isn't. If I decided to exalt a dragon I bought unnamed, because I decided that some priest of mine has to send 10 unnamed dragons to the Plaguebringer, for whatever reason, than I get to do that because I bought the dragon and you sold it unnamed. My lore doesn't have to care about your offspring list.

Disclamer: I am not trying to pick on you specifically. You've just wrote arguments that I've heard too often in the past.

I wouldn't be opposed to auto-naming every hatchling on birth. I would actually prefer that cause then I wouldn't have to spend 5 minutes a day naming all my unnamed fodder before I go in the coli. But only if in turn Unnamed loses its status as forbidden name.
tumblr_otyhq9Ynj41vsg0m1o1_400.pngsmall_save_the_imps2_by_keldeostar-dc6ioyu.pngtumblr_otyhq9Ynj41vsg0m1o1_400.pnghttps://68.media.tumblr.com/d520b49ad1e535b4432d0a80efc5db86/tumblr_otyhq9Ynj41vsg0m1o1_400.png[/img]
To anyone who says that renaming an exalted offspring of one of your dragons (that you did not exalt yourself) doesn't effect anyone else:

What happens to the person who worked on a project dragon, that they bred themselves and wrote lore about that dragon's parents vanishing, or leaving without their names being known, going off to serve the deity of a distant Flight, and as part of this lore they exalted the parents unnamed, when they discover that suddenly their special dragon has parents that are named Tofu and Georgettee?

Do they have the right to be upset that someone decided to alter something that was a part of their dragon's lore, something that they took measures to preserve?

EDIT: Also, I have several permas that I might never name. How is that different from them being exalted unnamed as far as offspring lists are concerned. Does the owner of one or the other of that dragon's parents have the right to name my dragon to fix their offspring list?
To anyone who says that renaming an exalted offspring of one of your dragons (that you did not exalt yourself) doesn't effect anyone else:

What happens to the person who worked on a project dragon, that they bred themselves and wrote lore about that dragon's parents vanishing, or leaving without their names being known, going off to serve the deity of a distant Flight, and as part of this lore they exalted the parents unnamed, when they discover that suddenly their special dragon has parents that are named Tofu and Georgettee?

Do they have the right to be upset that someone decided to alter something that was a part of their dragon's lore, something that they took measures to preserve?

EDIT: Also, I have several permas that I might never name. How is that different from them being exalted unnamed as far as offspring lists are concerned. Does the owner of one or the other of that dragon's parents have the right to name my dragon to fix their offspring list?
[quote name="KeiranTrick" date="2024-02-24 08:19:36" ] So if you've exalted an offspring of one of my dragons, that decision has a permanent impact on only my dragon. That kinda seems like forcing things on another player, no? [/quote] Absolutely, you aren't wrong about this. You are also not wrong that the first and most obvious solution is to always name before selling. However, the way things are right now, we only have the "my dragon, my rules" completely apply to unbred G1 dragons. All other dragons have the "my dragon, my rules unless I've sold that dragon's offspring ever or bought it from someone else's bred pair." I'll agree this is counter-intuitive, and that rule needs to be rewritten to close this inconsistency. The rule as enforced doesn't need to be changed - just the way it's written. Because no one would argue that there is a small box on your dragon that you don't, in fact, own. Most people would say you own everthing having to do from your dragon from the name to the page copyright. It makes perfect intuitive sense. I think exalting unnamed dragons is rude. It's just much more likely to upset someone. But, I also think there's nothing wrong with it. But this is also why we need a way to modify offspring lists, ideally in a way that is visible to everyone but that can be toggled off for searching offspring lists - kind of like how you can see the way a dragon really looks by taking its ID to the scrying workshop. It's not like I as a user on my side can just turn off everyone's skins even though there are skins I find disturbing, and an offspring list is often defined as being an "aesthetic." After all, the "none/none [i]aesthetic[/i]" is a very popular one. We have power to control the way our dragons appear, except this box, which many people find to be an important part of their dragon. But the rules and (non-existent) warnings or tutorials for selling a dragon do not make it clear that by selling offspring, you are actually selling a part of [i]your[/i] dragon.
Absolutely, you aren't wrong about this. You are also not wrong that the first and most obvious solution is to always name before selling.

However, the way things are right now, we only have the "my dragon, my rules" completely apply to unbred G1 dragons. All other dragons have the "my dragon, my rules unless I've sold that dragon's offspring ever or bought it from someone else's bred pair." I'll agree this is counter-intuitive, and that rule needs to be rewritten to close this inconsistency. The rule as enforced doesn't need to be changed - just the way it's written.

Because no one would argue that there is a small box on your dragon that you don't, in fact, own. Most people would say you own everthing having to do from your dragon from the name to the page copyright. It makes perfect intuitive sense.

I think exalting unnamed dragons is rude. It's just much more likely to upset someone. But, I also think there's nothing wrong with it.

But this is also why we need a way to modify offspring lists, ideally in a way that is visible to everyone but that can be toggled off for searching offspring lists - kind of like how you can see the way a dragon really looks by taking its ID to the scrying workshop. It's not like I as a user on my side can just turn off everyone's skins even though there are skins I find disturbing, and an offspring list is often defined as being an "aesthetic." After all, the "none/none aesthetic" is a very popular one. We have power to control the way our dragons appear, except this box, which many people find to be an important part of their dragon. But the rules and (non-existent) warnings or tutorials for selling a dragon do not make it clear that by selling offspring, you are actually selling a part of your dragon.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
1 2 3 4