Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Don't limit pings - it'll destroy tools
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19 20
[quote name="Doglover287915" date="2023-10-26 10:16:36" ] I think one good compromise may be to keep mass pings but add the ability for specific users to block mass pings only. [/quote] if theyre implementing a way to detect posts where more than 12 players are pinged, maybe they could do something like [i]if more than 12 players pinged; do not ping x users[/i]
Doglover287915 wrote on 2023-10-26 10:16:36:
I think one good compromise may be to keep mass pings but add the ability for specific users to block mass pings only.

if theyre implementing a way to detect posts where more than 12 players are pinged, maybe they could do something like if more than 12 players pinged; do not ping x users
OSdYejY.png
[quote name="Cinspawn" date="2023-10-26 10:41:32" ] I wonder if some sort of 'nested pings' feature would also help with the GASP-type pings? Because as of now, if we made a pinglist for say, Bogsneaks, Pastel skins, and galaxy themed skins... that's three pings you would get for 1 skin. That's a lot of notifications. Perhaps some sort of code that goes like [code][pinglist=14,34,233][/code] would ping those three pinglists, but remove the duplicates? Idunno if it's possible to implement that, but it would revive some GASP functionality I think? [/quote] Possibly, though an essential aspect of GASP is being able to be filtered out / not be pinged for things as well (e.g. don't ping for body horror). So still a clunky facade of GASP's current functionality.
Cinspawn wrote on 2023-10-26 10:41:32:
I wonder if some sort of 'nested pings' feature would also help with the GASP-type pings?

Because as of now, if we made a pinglist for say, Bogsneaks, Pastel skins, and galaxy themed skins... that's three pings you would get for 1 skin. That's a lot of notifications.

Perhaps some sort of code that goes like
Code:
[pinglist=14,34,233]

would ping those three pinglists, but remove the duplicates? Idunno if it's possible to implement that, but it would revive some GASP functionality I think?

Possibly, though an essential aspect of GASP is being able to be filtered out / not be pinged for things as well (e.g. don't ping for body horror). So still a clunky facade of GASP's current functionality.
jA0Unwf.gif
To start, I just want to say that, from the depths of my heart, thank all that is holy in this world that we now have an on-site Pinglist feature. This is something that has been needed for literal years to cut down on abuse, and I am so happy to be surprised with this today.

That being said, the OP makes a great point about multi-user pinglists, such as threads for selling accents and G1s and whatnot. I think the suggested "choose to let additional people use this pinglist" is a good solution--though for something like GASP, it would take a lot of effort to add everyone who uses it.

I also wouldn't object to pinglists having the option to be Public (anyone can use the list to ping), Private (only the creator can use the list to ping), Friends Only (only friends of the creator can use), or even Flight Only (only members of the Flight can use). After all, ping-ees can only add or remove themselves. And if it turns out that such a system would be abused, FR could just punish the abusers and let everyone else who uses lists properly go about their lives.

I don't have a perfect solution, but I will state that I am ridiculously happy that players can only add and remove themselves. This'll cut down on so much bullying. With the flexibility of adding and removing yourself, subscribing to threads, and enabling/disabling pings entirely, I think it might be worth FR's time to trial and error and see what works best.
To start, I just want to say that, from the depths of my heart, thank all that is holy in this world that we now have an on-site Pinglist feature. This is something that has been needed for literal years to cut down on abuse, and I am so happy to be surprised with this today.

That being said, the OP makes a great point about multi-user pinglists, such as threads for selling accents and G1s and whatnot. I think the suggested "choose to let additional people use this pinglist" is a good solution--though for something like GASP, it would take a lot of effort to add everyone who uses it.

I also wouldn't object to pinglists having the option to be Public (anyone can use the list to ping), Private (only the creator can use the list to ping), Friends Only (only friends of the creator can use), or even Flight Only (only members of the Flight can use). After all, ping-ees can only add or remove themselves. And if it turns out that such a system would be abused, FR could just punish the abusers and let everyone else who uses lists properly go about their lives.

I don't have a perfect solution, but I will state that I am ridiculously happy that players can only add and remove themselves. This'll cut down on so much bullying. With the flexibility of adding and removing yourself, subscribing to threads, and enabling/disabling pings entirely, I think it might be worth FR's time to trial and error and see what works best.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
[quote name="Mitchy" date="2023-10-26 10:36:21" ] [quote name="Doglover287915" date="2023-10-26 10:16:36" ] I think one good compromise may be to keep mass pings but add the ability for specific users to block mass pings only. This way users who don't interact with mass pings can avoid them and only use pinglists they want to be on without breaking tools. Also temporary pinglists could be a good idea so people can join the spectators pinglist for a raffle but the creator can then delete that list or set a time for it to be deleted automatically. [/quote] don't support (unless edited...) because i feel like it doesnt address the issue how does this address the issue of people that want to be mass pinged for certain things, but are being harrassed offline and added to pinglists they dont want to be on? i assumed this was what staff was attempting to address [/quote] it seems to me that mass ping harassment is worst when someone is added to individual shop spreadsheets against their will, and not really as related to the type of communal mass-pinging that GASP, G1 lists, etc use. imo i think that having pinglists for individuals all be onsite, instead of every single user keeping a spreadsheet to track their pinglists (which can be edited by anyone), will cut down on the majority of ability for people to add someone to pinglists they don't want to be on. and the big lists like dom lists, G1 or glitch dragon lists, and GASP are all easy to remove yourself from. it's much harder to do that with all the various random shops. so honestly i just think that if mass pings are cut down to people only needing offsite pinglists for organized lists like the above mentioned, it will kind of negate the issues with mass ping harassment. i think that having an option to NEVER be mass pinged is great, because people who don't want to see them at all and are being put on lists against their will can avoid them. and for people who want to be on lists but are being added to ones they don't want to be on, it will be much simpler to remove oneself from 2-5 lists rather than 200 individual peoples' pinglists. so basically i think that the issue of harassment IS addressed by the creation of onsite lists. and that allowing mass pings (if people will move all individual lists to the site like intended) will not be harmful, and that allowing people to mute mass pings will only be a good thing. the only other thing i can think of that would help with mass ping harassment is maybe requiring that individuals sign up for offsite lists on the forums to confirm identity (vs through an offsite sign up or something).
Mitchy wrote on 2023-10-26 10:36:21:
I think one good compromise may be to keep mass pings but add the ability for specific users to block mass pings only.

This way users who don't interact with mass pings can avoid them and only use pinglists they want to be on without breaking tools.

Also temporary pinglists could be a good idea so people can join the spectators pinglist for a raffle but the creator can then delete that list or set a time for it to be deleted automatically.
don't support (unless edited...) because i feel like it doesnt address the issue

how does this address the issue of people that want to be mass pinged for certain things, but are being harrassed offline and added to pinglists they dont want to be on? i assumed this was what staff was attempting to address

it seems to me that mass ping harassment is worst when someone is added to individual shop spreadsheets against their will, and not really as related to the type of communal mass-pinging that GASP, G1 lists, etc use. imo i think that having pinglists for individuals all be onsite, instead of every single user keeping a spreadsheet to track their pinglists (which can be edited by anyone), will cut down on the majority of ability for people to add someone to pinglists they don't want to be on.
and the big lists like dom lists, G1 or glitch dragon lists, and GASP are all easy to remove yourself from. it's much harder to do that with all the various random shops.

so honestly i just think that if mass pings are cut down to people only needing offsite pinglists for organized lists like the above mentioned, it will kind of negate the issues with mass ping harassment. i think that having an option to NEVER be mass pinged is great, because people who don't want to see them at all and are being put on lists against their will can avoid them. and for people who want to be on lists but are being added to ones they don't want to be on, it will be much simpler to remove oneself from 2-5 lists rather than 200 individual peoples' pinglists.

so basically i think that the issue of harassment IS addressed by the creation of onsite lists. and that allowing mass pings (if people will move all individual lists to the site like intended) will not be harmful, and that allowing people to mute mass pings will only be a good thing. the only other thing i can think of that would help with mass ping harassment is maybe requiring that individuals sign up for offsite lists on the forums to confirm identity (vs through an offsite sign up or something).
4F3aTxd.png
[quote name="Doglover287915" date="2023-10-26 10:16:36" ] I think one good compromise may be to keep mass pings but add the ability for specific users to block mass pings only. This way users who don't interact with mass pings can avoid them and only use pinglists they want to be on without breaking tools. Also temporary pinglists could be a good idea so people can join the spectators pinglist for a raffle but the creator can then delete that list or set a time for it to be deleted automatically. [/quote] Massive uppa to this post for suggesting a great compromise! Huge support for protecting community-run projects and interest lists, with a possible compromise in having community-editable ones here on site. I think the current system works well, provided that people prevent others from signing others up for the lists off-site w/o their consent.

This way users who don't interact with mass pings can avoid them and only use pinglists they want to be on without breaking tools.

Also temporary pinglists could be a good idea so people can join the spectators pinglist for a raffle but the creator can then delete that list or set a time for it to be deleted automatically.

Massive uppa to this post for suggesting a great compromise!

Huge support for protecting community-run projects and interest lists, with a possible compromise in having community-editable ones here on site.

I think the current system works well, provided that people prevent others from signing others up for the lists off-site w/o their consent.
Big support! I looove the new official ping system, but I also live on GASP pings to get a lot of the accents/skins I like.

Echoing what everyone has said already, having the ability to toggle being alerted for mass pings or not would be a nice compromise!
Big support! I looove the new official ping system, but I also live on GASP pings to get a lot of the accents/skins I like.

Echoing what everyone has said already, having the ability to toggle being alerted for mass pings or not would be a nice compromise!
4T0426g.png ~~~ Dragon Training

LF UMAs

Yep, I agree with all of this. The current new system will be completely unusable by Dominance Teams (or any team effort) without managers, private/public lists, and other adjustments.
Yep, I agree with all of this. The current new system will be completely unusable by Dominance Teams (or any team effort) without managers, private/public lists, and other adjustments.
E2amngG.png04n5rQx.png8th6mfc.pngtPW2xgo.pngarOGchX.png
Full support. The new system will be extremely detrimental to dedicated players and the way they interact with the site. I do not usually use pinglists like GASP to advertise, but I do rely on them to be informed about new skins that are being sold, especially from smaller artists. Only being able to use shop-specific ping lists will not allow most users to effectively advertise what they are trying to sell.
Full support. The new system will be extremely detrimental to dedicated players and the way they interact with the site. I do not usually use pinglists like GASP to advertise, but I do rely on them to be informed about new skins that are being sold, especially from smaller artists. Only being able to use shop-specific ping lists will not allow most users to effectively advertise what they are trying to sell.
qAcFMSh.png
Support, this new system is just way too simple to even begin to be something GASP could start migrating over towards. On-site pinglists? Awesome, I’m not very skilled at google docs and this would be so useful to my hatchery. But it really really isn’t going to be able to serve as a replacement for Dom and GASP pinglists, nor nest rental groups…
Support, this new system is just way too simple to even begin to be something GASP could start migrating over towards. On-site pinglists? Awesome, I’m not very skilled at google docs and this would be so useful to my hatchery. But it really really isn’t going to be able to serve as a replacement for Dom and GASP pinglists, nor nest rental groups…
dynne | +2 fr time
hatchery
summer_sphinx.png
[quote name="Caoineadh" date="2023-10-26 10:53:22" ] Huge support for protecting community-run projects and interest lists, with a possible compromise in having community-editable ones here on site. [/quote] Same from me. Love the new pinglist subscription feature on the whole, but I'd hate to see the functionality of group-accessible mass pings go away. Maybe there could be an optional feature where the creator of the pinglist can also share ownership of it.
Caoineadh wrote on 2023-10-26 10:53:22:
Huge support for protecting community-run projects and interest lists, with a possible compromise in having community-editable ones here on site.

Same from me. Love the new pinglist subscription feature on the whole, but I'd hate to see the functionality of group-accessible mass pings go away. Maybe there could be an optional feature where the creator of the pinglist can also share ownership of it.
zqDx8gm.png mysticmeat.gif
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19 20