Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Don't limit pings - it'll destroy tools
1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19 20
So much support to this!

I have a tool that the new system would be great for as I am the only one using the pinglist I create, but I am a user of many more pinglists that would not work with this new system.

I don't really have an idea how to have both and make it work...
So much support to this!

I have a tool that the new system would be great for as I am the only one using the pinglist I create, but I am a user of many more pinglists that would not work with this new system.

I don't really have an idea how to have both and make it work...
....hSza.gif
mlHpBMC.png
KXqgAVm.png
5hF3FGk.png
D27EEGQ.png lGZCiFv.pngLeGrsom.png
[quote name="jbapple" date="2023-10-26 12:25:19" ] also if mass pings are limited raffle runners can't ping everyone to check tickets, announce first round,whatever. I guess the fix is everyone has to subscribe to every thread but the UI for unsubscribing to thread from clan info is super limited. -snipped for length- wow the dom team burnout is only 1 person on team could use dom pinglist, meaning you feel guilty about taking time away from fr because only you can ping. Also someone leaves/gets locked etc[/quote] I totally agree with this, and I also saw this mentioned elsewhere. Disabling mass pings doesn't only affect those who sign up for specific pinglists currently, there's several reasons why a mass ping would go out that people don't currently 'sign up' for. Dom organizers specifically - for example, at the start of the most recent battle everyone who participated in OOF boarding got pinged with a reminder to send boarded dragons back. Their participation in boarding was their permission for pings, so there didn't need to be an extra step that could be forgotten. Getting rid of mass pings would mean that if more than 12 people forgot to return dragons at battle start, they would have to be reminded in batches or via multiple pms. It will require kind of a cultural shift on FR and also a lot of foresight for everyone to preemptively make and sign up for pinglists for [i]everything[/i] that might need to be pinged for. Often I will get pings for checking tickets for OOF raffles. My participation in sending dragons for the raffle meant that I signed up for that ping, and I didn't have to do an extra step by signing up for a pinglist that could be used for raffle participants checking tickets, start of the raffle drawing, etc. The start of the raffle stage is usually where people will sign up for a pinglist to watch each round being drawn, but in future that might have to be preemptively added to the thread in order to avoid people missing out. Further, even once people get used to signing up for a pinglist on every thread, under the 'single person owns a pinglist and is the only one who can use it' system, if the original raffle runner dom org has an issue and can't run the raffle nobody else on the dom team can step in to take over.
jbapple wrote on 2023-10-26 12:25:19:
also if mass pings are limited raffle runners can't ping everyone to check tickets, announce first round,whatever. I guess the fix is everyone has to subscribe to every thread but the UI for unsubscribing to thread from clan info is super limited.

-snipped for length-

wow the dom team burnout is only 1 person on team could use dom pinglist, meaning you feel guilty about taking time away from fr because only you can ping. Also someone leaves/gets locked etc
I totally agree with this, and I also saw this mentioned elsewhere.

Disabling mass pings doesn't only affect those who sign up for specific pinglists currently, there's several reasons why a mass ping would go out that people don't currently 'sign up' for. Dom organizers specifically - for example, at the start of the most recent battle everyone who participated in OOF boarding got pinged with a reminder to send boarded dragons back. Their participation in boarding was their permission for pings, so there didn't need to be an extra step that could be forgotten. Getting rid of mass pings would mean that if more than 12 people forgot to return dragons at battle start, they would have to be reminded in batches or via multiple pms.

It will require kind of a cultural shift on FR and also a lot of foresight for everyone to preemptively make and sign up for pinglists for everything that might need to be pinged for. Often I will get pings for checking tickets for OOF raffles. My participation in sending dragons for the raffle meant that I signed up for that ping, and I didn't have to do an extra step by signing up for a pinglist that could be used for raffle participants checking tickets, start of the raffle drawing, etc. The start of the raffle stage is usually where people will sign up for a pinglist to watch each round being drawn, but in future that might have to be preemptively added to the thread in order to avoid people missing out. Further, even once people get used to signing up for a pinglist on every thread, under the 'single person owns a pinglist and is the only one who can use it' system, if the original raffle runner dom org has an issue and can't run the raffle nobody else on the dom team can step in to take over.
kjeji39.pngLRZsir9.pngLOwwb1o.pngQy3ikhx.pngbadgeshadowmentor_by_aliena_cordis-dc3un59.gif
support. I am small accent creator and GASP is the source to get me anyone :I I already have little with it, don't wanna completely lose it if I do wanna continue making accents here and there...

like yes I love this new system of pinglist but some lists just can't work like so, adding cap is not it
support. I am small accent creator and GASP is the source to get me anyone :I I already have little with it, don't wanna completely lose it if I do wanna continue making accents here and there...

like yes I love this new system of pinglist but some lists just can't work like so, adding cap is not it
WIhgWqV.pngyeetWr77RAu.png

yeet
you
see
mE
wHy

yeet hYZxkBA.gif
I agree. While I love the onsite pinglists (and have been a victim of pinglist harassment myself), I think disabling mass pings is going to cause far too many issues. In addition to those already discussed, I also want to bring up some other problems caused by disabling mass pings: inactive users and sudden issue pings.

There are pinglists that I signed up for years ago whose owners are now inactive. But I'm still interested in those services if they ever come back! If they return after mass pings are disabled, they will have no way of contacting the people on their lists.

Sudden issue pings are things like when threads get accidentally deleted, or sheets/image hosting breaks. These are rarer, but they do happen. In these instances you want to ping all participants to let them know what's going on. This won't be possible if mass pinging is disabled, and could lead to people missing important information.

And then of course, I simply can't see a way staff can replicate the features of something like GASP without massive amounts of work. So I would rather see them implement some changes and additional features, and then monitor and evaluate if harassment is still an issue. I think with the right additions, issues can be virtually eliminated while still allowing mass pings to exist.

Basically, pinglists seem to exist in the following use cases:
  • single list, single user (ex: artist pinging for more slots opening)
  • single list, multi user (ex: Dom watch)
  • multi list, single user (ex: skin shops)
  • multi list, multi user (ex: GASP)

single list, single user
This is basically what's covered best by the current system. It works great for that and I love it!

single list, multi user
These can work well with the current system if we're allowed to set who can use a pinglist. Settings like Everyone, Invite only, Flight only, Only me, etc would allow this to function pretty seamlessly. Unauthorized pinglist use isn't generally a problem, and not the way pinglists are utilized for harassment, so I don't see any reason not to update the feature to include this.

multi list, single user
This sort of thing is primarily being used in skin shops, where the owner has to ping for preorders, payment collection, updates, reprints, etc all for specific skins. This can work with the current system, but it's pretty unwieldy and a whole lot of lists. I think this particular use case is best catered to with the skin system update. I would love to see things like user storefronts for auto-reprints, onsite preorder systems, and skin specific widgets that allow players to sign up for info about that skin. Some of this overlaps with the pinglist system, but I think the majority of it is better addressed as part of the skin system update.

multi list, multi user
And this is the version that I just don't see flight rising being able to replicate. Massive filterable lists seems like it would be really difficult to implement. Now if they can do it, then sure! By all means! But I think this might be better addressed by allowing mass pinging to stay, and simply updating to a modular block system. Allow people to block mass pings, pings from a specific user, pings from a specific thread, etc. There are relatively few of these absolutely massive lists, and if all other pinglist use cases are addressed with onsite features, then opportunities for harassment should go way down.

If after all this is done there are still issues with harassment, then okay. We can re-evaluate and discuss disabling mass pinging and how to make things like GASP still function. But I don't think blanket disabling should be plan A.
I agree. While I love the onsite pinglists (and have been a victim of pinglist harassment myself), I think disabling mass pings is going to cause far too many issues. In addition to those already discussed, I also want to bring up some other problems caused by disabling mass pings: inactive users and sudden issue pings.

There are pinglists that I signed up for years ago whose owners are now inactive. But I'm still interested in those services if they ever come back! If they return after mass pings are disabled, they will have no way of contacting the people on their lists.

Sudden issue pings are things like when threads get accidentally deleted, or sheets/image hosting breaks. These are rarer, but they do happen. In these instances you want to ping all participants to let them know what's going on. This won't be possible if mass pinging is disabled, and could lead to people missing important information.

And then of course, I simply can't see a way staff can replicate the features of something like GASP without massive amounts of work. So I would rather see them implement some changes and additional features, and then monitor and evaluate if harassment is still an issue. I think with the right additions, issues can be virtually eliminated while still allowing mass pings to exist.

Basically, pinglists seem to exist in the following use cases:
  • single list, single user (ex: artist pinging for more slots opening)
  • single list, multi user (ex: Dom watch)
  • multi list, single user (ex: skin shops)
  • multi list, multi user (ex: GASP)

single list, single user
This is basically what's covered best by the current system. It works great for that and I love it!

single list, multi user
These can work well with the current system if we're allowed to set who can use a pinglist. Settings like Everyone, Invite only, Flight only, Only me, etc would allow this to function pretty seamlessly. Unauthorized pinglist use isn't generally a problem, and not the way pinglists are utilized for harassment, so I don't see any reason not to update the feature to include this.

multi list, single user
This sort of thing is primarily being used in skin shops, where the owner has to ping for preorders, payment collection, updates, reprints, etc all for specific skins. This can work with the current system, but it's pretty unwieldy and a whole lot of lists. I think this particular use case is best catered to with the skin system update. I would love to see things like user storefronts for auto-reprints, onsite preorder systems, and skin specific widgets that allow players to sign up for info about that skin. Some of this overlaps with the pinglist system, but I think the majority of it is better addressed as part of the skin system update.

multi list, multi user
And this is the version that I just don't see flight rising being able to replicate. Massive filterable lists seems like it would be really difficult to implement. Now if they can do it, then sure! By all means! But I think this might be better addressed by allowing mass pinging to stay, and simply updating to a modular block system. Allow people to block mass pings, pings from a specific user, pings from a specific thread, etc. There are relatively few of these absolutely massive lists, and if all other pinglist use cases are addressed with onsite features, then opportunities for harassment should go way down.

If after all this is done there are still issues with harassment, then okay. We can re-evaluate and discuss disabling mass pinging and how to make things like GASP still function. But I don't think blanket disabling should be plan A.
Wua5ROf.png
Support - I'm excited for on-site pinglists as a feature, but they need some tweaks before I can use them.
Support - I'm excited for on-site pinglists as a feature, but they need some tweaks before I can use them.
Na5WGHa.png
Adding on my support as well. I've sold lots of G1s and this would severely limit visibility for sales. I'm also on various pinglists for G1s, skins, dom, etc. I really hope we can keep mass pings as they are a big part of the community.
Adding on my support as well. I've sold lots of G1s and this would severely limit visibility for sales. I'm also on various pinglists for G1s, skins, dom, etc. I really hope we can keep mass pings as they are a big part of the community.

fr+3
she/her
autistic
9ML3Nya.gif
Massive support, especially when mass pinglists also help to filter out criteria that otherwise would have you juggling 20+ pinglists to account for minor changes (G1 but 7 digit, G1 but snowbelly, limited accents vs reselling accents, etc etc) and I cannot even imagine how GASP and G1 pinglists would be transitioned over to this system, especially as only the owners can ping said pinglists.

I do hope it's reconsidered, definitely a system where harassment can be hard to avoid (had an instance where someone was placed on my pinglists w/o their permission), but it feels like it's a big, big loss to many community pinglists (as someone who also sells accents and relies on GASP myself).

Most people already covered good points and potential alternative fixes/things to keep in mind, so not much else to add outside adding support.
Massive support, especially when mass pinglists also help to filter out criteria that otherwise would have you juggling 20+ pinglists to account for minor changes (G1 but 7 digit, G1 but snowbelly, limited accents vs reselling accents, etc etc) and I cannot even imagine how GASP and G1 pinglists would be transitioned over to this system, especially as only the owners can ping said pinglists.

I do hope it's reconsidered, definitely a system where harassment can be hard to avoid (had an instance where someone was placed on my pinglists w/o their permission), but it feels like it's a big, big loss to many community pinglists (as someone who also sells accents and relies on GASP myself).

Most people already covered good points and potential alternative fixes/things to keep in mind, so not much else to add outside adding support.
J6HTF7u.png Wdr4Smc.png Hideki #68095
aid | she/her | FR +3

• Accent Shop
• Art Shop / Pixel Imps
• Hatchery
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa7be29bc03ed4feeddde2b2c8ea3e290ab4c1561a.png
[quote name="Vendrus" date="2023-10-26 09:34:33" ] Another suggestion from later pages: Ability to not receive pings from 'mass pings' [/quote] Support - I like this idea. ----- Removing mass pings will also make it much more difficult to run games like Choose Your Own Adventures ([url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3272239#post_3272239]example - the game I ran during Starfall[/url]). I know these are not a massive part of FR's world (certainly not to the scale of GASP etc.) but I enjoy them both as an event runner and as a participant and I'd hate to see them destroyed by this update. If you have branching pathways, you cannot ping everyone to the correct path (if there are more than 12 people) without asking them in advance to sign up to a pinglist ... which you cannot do, because it's related to a choice they are making. I suppose you could have pinglist sign-ups for each path if it was a "simple" game like mine (i.e. the branching paths were not affected by previous days' choices) ... but even then, for my game, it would have required [i]at least 21 different pinglists[/i] to be set up, used once, and then discarded. Also, it wouldn't have been possible to ask people to sign up to a pinglist for the final day's results, because those were calculated by me going over previous days' choices and then manually assigning people to their final result. Players could not sign up for that themselves! Also there have been other previous CYOAs that have run that have had much more complex paths, which would not have worked via pinglists as they exist on-site, because they demanded calculating multiple previous choices. Again, I realise this isn't a bit part of FR gameplay, [i]but it is a part of it[/i]! I think it's worth considering.
Vendrus wrote on 2023-10-26 09:34:33:
Another suggestion from later pages: Ability to not receive pings from 'mass pings'

Support - I like this idea.

Removing mass pings will also make it much more difficult to run games like Choose Your Own Adventures (example - the game I ran during Starfall). I know these are not a massive part of FR's world (certainly not to the scale of GASP etc.) but I enjoy them both as an event runner and as a participant and I'd hate to see them destroyed by this update.

If you have branching pathways, you cannot ping everyone to the correct path (if there are more than 12 people) without asking them in advance to sign up to a pinglist ... which you cannot do, because it's related to a choice they are making.

I suppose you could have pinglist sign-ups for each path if it was a "simple" game like mine (i.e. the branching paths were not affected by previous days' choices) ... but even then, for my game, it would have required at least 21 different pinglists to be set up, used once, and then discarded. Also, it wouldn't have been possible to ask people to sign up to a pinglist for the final day's results, because those were calculated by me going over previous days' choices and then manually assigning people to their final result. Players could not sign up for that themselves!

Also there have been other previous CYOAs that have run that have had much more complex paths, which would not have worked via pinglists as they exist on-site, because they demanded calculating multiple previous choices.

Again, I realise this isn't a bit part of FR gameplay, but it is a part of it! I think it's worth considering.
A two-toned pink eight-pointed compass rose with the Arcane symbol at the centre, with the word 'adept' hand-written in front of the downwards point
The Spire, home of the Lundlaevungar: a crystal island shaped like an inverted mountain floating above the sea in a yellow sky
The Pirate Trials button, linking to the thread: a pink pearl with subtle gold sparkles, with 'The Pirate Trials' handwritten in front; the P is an eye patch with a skull on it Arcane Badge depicting the Oculus of the Eleven
Clan Lore

Exalted Dragons

FR+8

they/them
Support this 10x! I can't believe they'd do such a drastic change that would hurt so many communities on a grand scale
Support this 10x! I can't believe they'd do such a drastic change that would hurt so many communities on a grand scale
Prvfc1i.png[The Hatchery Masterlist/center]
don't have a huge amount to say that hasn't been said but basically yeah i subscribe to elements of both g1 sellers (dragons with a certain date) and GASP (monster dragons), and I am not sure how you would implement these things onsite, but some sort of sharable pinglists is absolutely necessary for things like dominance efforts and raffles.
There are 365 possible dates in any give year; multiplied by the number of years it's really just not feasible. Also g1 sellers just has a tool where you can put down the details of a dragon you're trying to sell and it will spit out the relevant pinglist; i'm quite sure GASP does the same for skin artists.

How will we find skins we are interested in except by happenstance if we don't have pings alerting us when skins we might be interested in are made?

I do trust that with shareable pinglists we will find some kind of workarounds, and that's the major needed thing here!
don't have a huge amount to say that hasn't been said but basically yeah i subscribe to elements of both g1 sellers (dragons with a certain date) and GASP (monster dragons), and I am not sure how you would implement these things onsite, but some sort of sharable pinglists is absolutely necessary for things like dominance efforts and raffles.
There are 365 possible dates in any give year; multiplied by the number of years it's really just not feasible. Also g1 sellers just has a tool where you can put down the details of a dragon you're trying to sell and it will spit out the relevant pinglist; i'm quite sure GASP does the same for skin artists.

How will we find skins we are interested in except by happenstance if we don't have pings alerting us when skins we might be interested in are made?

I do trust that with shareable pinglists we will find some kind of workarounds, and that's the major needed thing here!
my images broke....fix later sol.
they/them.
fr+2
friendly&anxious.
Small_Capy.png
1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19 20