Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | 2020 Familiar Schedule Changes
1 2 3
@Lonin
That is an interesting point!
I used Ophiuchus less because it's a 13th sign and more because, like Fiona, it's a rather recent addition to the world =) Besides, no FR user was born under this sign (not unless they follow the rules)), so there should be less negativity over it being included differently! However, I'll be sure to add your opinion to the post. It is something to consider!
@Lonin
That is an interesting point!
I used Ophiuchus less because it's a 13th sign and more because, like Fiona, it's a rather recent addition to the world =) Besides, no FR user was born under this sign (not unless they follow the rules)), so there should be less negativity over it being included differently! However, I'll be sure to add your opinion to the post. It is something to consider!
@Starrun Nope no one old enough to use FR will have been born under the sign but some people choose it as theirs anyway or feel like it fits them better or just like the idea of it and want to be able to have more than one. Snakes are cool and we'd love to have a hoard full of them just like we will the others. It's not like you can only have familiars related to your star sign.
It doesn't seem right to just throw a different sign at the same problem :c
@Starrun Nope no one old enough to use FR will have been born under the sign but some people choose it as theirs anyway or feel like it fits them better or just like the idea of it and want to be able to have more than one. Snakes are cool and we'd love to have a hoard full of them just like we will the others. It's not like you can only have familiars related to your star sign.
It doesn't seem right to just throw a different sign at the same problem :c
cg2G1xD.gif
tumblr_inline_ngqv6bbPaQ1rvrguk.pngtumblr_inline_n1581tzliY1rvrguk.png
I'm an Ophiuchus if we go by the 13 constellation cycle. And I feel it suits me WAY better than Sagittarius. However, considering how some people in other threads were moaning about it "not being a real zodiac" and should therefore be excluded and how I "should just suck it up and accept Sagittarius is my sign," I would MUCH rather Ophiuchus be in Fiona than excluded entirely. Plus, the staff has already said they're going to do something with Fiona--so rather than retract their words completely, they can just change them. Ophiuchus in Fiona; please Capricorn in NotN. Now, if Ophiuchus pops up in December? I will not complain whatsoever! I'd love it! But please, PLEASE don't exclude Ophiuchus. PLEASE!

EDIT: Ophiuchus isn't new. It's been a constellation since 400 BC. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiuchus And people have been arguing for Ophiuchus as a zodiac sign since AT LEAST the 70s, which means plenty of players on FR would have been born since the debate started.
I'm an Ophiuchus if we go by the 13 constellation cycle. And I feel it suits me WAY better than Sagittarius. However, considering how some people in other threads were moaning about it "not being a real zodiac" and should therefore be excluded and how I "should just suck it up and accept Sagittarius is my sign," I would MUCH rather Ophiuchus be in Fiona than excluded entirely. Plus, the staff has already said they're going to do something with Fiona--so rather than retract their words completely, they can just change them. Ophiuchus in Fiona; please Capricorn in NotN. Now, if Ophiuchus pops up in December? I will not complain whatsoever! I'd love it! But please, PLEASE don't exclude Ophiuchus. PLEASE!

EDIT: Ophiuchus isn't new. It's been a constellation since 400 BC. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiuchus And people have been arguing for Ophiuchus as a zodiac sign since AT LEAST the 70s, which means plenty of players on FR would have been born since the debate started.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
@Starrun I have no problem with that!
@Starrun I have no problem with that!
AbwaPSg.png
xxxxx xrdZoYH.pngOxagJgG.pngmxZJBlR.png
Q0p4QGz.png1j2YGao.pngLvsm6NG.png
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
dEo6ta2.png
nWiQNX9.png
@Starrun No problem! Feel free to quote whatever is helpful.
@Starrun No problem! Feel free to quote whatever is helpful.
@Lonin @gemajgall
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding! Guess I should have done my research on the stellar matters... I'll be sure to update the post with the information and opinions I received from you.
@Lonin @gemajgall
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding! Guess I should have done my research on the stellar matters... I'll be sure to update the post with the information and opinions I received from you.
Support

My partner's a capricorn, and while they're not super interested in zodiac stuff, it'd be nice to be able to gift them a more personalised familiar when it hits their birthday. I'm not super sure how to approach all the Fiona's and ophiuchus stuff as a lot of it would depend on what the FR staff can reasonably manage, but I'm definitely in favour of capricorn being available during/around its month rather than half a year later.
Support

My partner's a capricorn, and while they're not super interested in zodiac stuff, it'd be nice to be able to gift them a more personalised familiar when it hits their birthday. I'm not super sure how to approach all the Fiona's and ophiuchus stuff as a lot of it would depend on what the FR staff can reasonably manage, but I'm definitely in favour of capricorn being available during/around its month rather than half a year later.
PLEZqtS.png
skelle.png
ELkNlaO.png

Call me Ky
they/them
FR+8

Support!

Capricorn being in NOTN, preferably as a brew familiar would be perfect. I love the name "Clever Capricorn"; that really encapsulates some of the traits assigned to capricorns as well as fits with the overall NOTN theme.

I would love for Ophiuchus to be the Fiona familiar instead. It's a lesser known sign and not always recognized as part of the zodiac depending on who you ask so it works great as a prize for players who prefer that sign over Sagittarius as well as familiar/zodiac completionists.
Support!

Capricorn being in NOTN, preferably as a brew familiar would be perfect. I love the name "Clever Capricorn"; that really encapsulates some of the traits assigned to capricorns as well as fits with the overall NOTN theme.

I would love for Ophiuchus to be the Fiona familiar instead. It's a lesser known sign and not always recognized as part of the zodiac depending on who you ask so it works great as a prize for players who prefer that sign over Sagittarius as well as familiar/zodiac completionists.
PeoMDYF.pngUxsWBSZ.png
One quick note:

'Ophiuchus is one of thirteen constellations that cross the ecliptic. It has therefore been called the "13th sign of the zodiac". However, this confuses sign with constellation. The signs of the zodiac are a twelve-fold division of the ecliptic, so that each sign spans 30° of celestial longitude, approximately the distance the Sun travels in a month, and (in the Western tradition) are aligned with the seasons so that the March equinox always falls on the boundary between Pisces and Aries.

Constellations, on the other hand, are unequal in size and are based on the positions of the stars. The constellations of the zodiac have only a loose association with the signs of the zodiac, and do not in general coincide with them. In Western astrology the constellation of Aquarius, for example, largely corresponds to the sign of Pisces. Similarly, the constellation of Ophiuchus occupies most (November 29 – December 18) of the sign of Sagittarius (November 23 – December 21). The differences are due to the fact that the time of year that the sun passes through a particular zodiac constellation's position has slowly changed (because of the precession of the equinoxes) over the centuries from when the Greeks, Babylonians, and Dacians through Zamolxis originally developed the Zodiac.'

'In Western astrology, astrological signs are the twelve 30° sectors of the ecliptic, starting at the vernal equinox (one of the intersections of the ecliptic with the celestial equator), also known as the First Point of Aries. The order of the astrological signs is Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius and Pisces. Each sector was named for a constellation it was passing through in times of naming. '

'The zodiacal signs are distinct from the constellations associated with them, not only because of their drifting apart due to the precession of equinoxes but also because the physical constellations take up varying widths of the ecliptic, so the Sun is not in each constellation for the same amount of time.[42]:25 Thus, Virgo takes up 5 times as much ecliptic longitude as Scorpius. The zodiacal signs are an abstraction from the physical constellations, and each represent exactly one 12th of the full circle, but the time spent by the Sun in each sign varies slightly due to the eccentricity of the Earth's orbit

The path of the Sun passes through 13 constellations recognized by ancient Babylonian, Greek, and Roman astronomers (including in Ptolemy's Almagest)[43][44] and the modern International Astronomical Union. Because the Babylonians had a 12-month lunar calendar, they chose and divided up the year evenly. The 13th was left out: Ophiuchus, the bottom part of which interjects between Scorpio and Sagittarius.

'Occasionally this difference between the astronomical constellations and the astrological signs is mistakenly reported in the popular press as a "change" to the list of traditional signs by some astronomical body like the IAU, NASA, or the Royal Astronomical Society. This happened in a 1995 report of the BBC Nine O'Clock News and various reports in 2011 and 2016'

Regardless, I do enjoy the idea of us getting the 12 zodiac signs from the festivals and NoTN, and then the Ophiuchus constellation from Fiona. (Though looks like Capricorn will be from her based on what the devs have said.)
One quick note:

'Ophiuchus is one of thirteen constellations that cross the ecliptic. It has therefore been called the "13th sign of the zodiac". However, this confuses sign with constellation. The signs of the zodiac are a twelve-fold division of the ecliptic, so that each sign spans 30° of celestial longitude, approximately the distance the Sun travels in a month, and (in the Western tradition) are aligned with the seasons so that the March equinox always falls on the boundary between Pisces and Aries.

Constellations, on the other hand, are unequal in size and are based on the positions of the stars. The constellations of the zodiac have only a loose association with the signs of the zodiac, and do not in general coincide with them. In Western astrology the constellation of Aquarius, for example, largely corresponds to the sign of Pisces. Similarly, the constellation of Ophiuchus occupies most (November 29 – December 18) of the sign of Sagittarius (November 23 – December 21). The differences are due to the fact that the time of year that the sun passes through a particular zodiac constellation's position has slowly changed (because of the precession of the equinoxes) over the centuries from when the Greeks, Babylonians, and Dacians through Zamolxis originally developed the Zodiac.'

'In Western astrology, astrological signs are the twelve 30° sectors of the ecliptic, starting at the vernal equinox (one of the intersections of the ecliptic with the celestial equator), also known as the First Point of Aries. The order of the astrological signs is Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius and Pisces. Each sector was named for a constellation it was passing through in times of naming. '

'The zodiacal signs are distinct from the constellations associated with them, not only because of their drifting apart due to the precession of equinoxes but also because the physical constellations take up varying widths of the ecliptic, so the Sun is not in each constellation for the same amount of time.[42]:25 Thus, Virgo takes up 5 times as much ecliptic longitude as Scorpius. The zodiacal signs are an abstraction from the physical constellations, and each represent exactly one 12th of the full circle, but the time spent by the Sun in each sign varies slightly due to the eccentricity of the Earth's orbit

The path of the Sun passes through 13 constellations recognized by ancient Babylonian, Greek, and Roman astronomers (including in Ptolemy's Almagest)[43][44] and the modern International Astronomical Union. Because the Babylonians had a 12-month lunar calendar, they chose and divided up the year evenly. The 13th was left out: Ophiuchus, the bottom part of which interjects between Scorpio and Sagittarius.

'Occasionally this difference between the astronomical constellations and the astrological signs is mistakenly reported in the popular press as a "change" to the list of traditional signs by some astronomical body like the IAU, NASA, or the Royal Astronomical Society. This happened in a 1995 report of the BBC Nine O'Clock News and various reports in 2011 and 2016'

Regardless, I do enjoy the idea of us getting the 12 zodiac signs from the festivals and NoTN, and then the Ophiuchus constellation from Fiona. (Though looks like Capricorn will be from her based on what the devs have said.)
Lore
Hatchery
Dream Dragons
bepadepadept line long line short boop bepepepep
VPsWmjb.gif
I support a 13th familiar for bonding the other 12,

i feel a bit mixed on different parts of this suggestion,

Wouldn't it be easier to just give the playerbase the 12th Capricorn familiar through galore?
I support a 13th familiar for bonding the other 12,

i feel a bit mixed on different parts of this suggestion,

Wouldn't it be easier to just give the playerbase the 12th Capricorn familiar through galore?
A dragon dressed up as bubbles and fish that has a Bio full of lesser known tips and tricks to Flight Rising
1 2 3