Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | albinoism and melanistic?
1 2
[quote name="GrimoireBlack" date="2020-01-24 05:31:38" ] For those saying these already exist: Well, in nature, TRUE albino is not just "white". It's a total lack of pigment typically accompanied by a pink nose and red/pink eyes. TRUE melanism isn't "black". A melanistic ("black") panther still has spots if viewed in the right light. A melanistic zebra was born last year; it still had stripes. If it were possible to do so, these would make cool genes. You can sort of do Melanism if you use Stained and that gene color is black. [/quote] We do actually get pinks and spots with triple white and triple obsidian! My current avatar is demonstrating the pink inside the ear, where the fur isn't covering the skin: [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/570441/57044029p.png[/img] And even ice eyes or light eyes can approximate albinism as seen in humans, which [i]doesn't[/i] tend to come through as pink or red due to how our eyes handle pigment differently. (And dragons have elemental eyes, so honestly we can go wild with assuming how albinism works there— most of the elements have a lighter or desaturated version of the common color that might work well if someone's attempting a breeding project but doesn't want to be bound to a specific element.) We can also make leucistic dragons using one of the less saturated colors if we'd like! As for melanism: [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=10&bodygene=19&breed=9&element=1&eyetype=3&gender=0&tert=10&tertgene=12&winggene=18&wings=10&auth=2d45bd3d69cc8e9ccab0399eb83b7909b7cce517&dummyext=prev.png[/img] You can still see the spots on xxx Obsidian. My own main hang-up is just that… I don't think this would [i]work[/i] in terms of FR colors or genes, because of how simplistic the breeding system has historically been. The structure has always been not [i]realism[/i] but [i]customizability[/i] and being able to obtain predictable results. Suddenly introducing colors/genes/mutations outside the breeding system would be a lot of chaos (as with the eyes referenced above, but moreso). Genes could be fun but… what would the pattern be? Since pigment mutations/genes are related to how the body handles pigment rather than a specific pattern shared across species. And since albinism/melanism/leucism/etc can be simulated within the structure already, I'm not sure it's necessary.
GrimoireBlack wrote on 2020-01-24 05:31:38:
For those saying these already exist:

Well, in nature, TRUE albino is not just "white". It's a total lack of pigment typically accompanied by a pink nose and red/pink eyes.

TRUE melanism isn't "black". A melanistic ("black") panther still has spots if viewed in the right light. A melanistic zebra was born last year; it still had stripes.

If it were possible to do so, these would make cool genes.

You can sort of do Melanism if you use Stained and that gene color is black.

We do actually get pinks and spots with triple white and triple obsidian! My current avatar is demonstrating the pink inside the ear, where the fur isn't covering the skin:

57044029p.png

And even ice eyes or light eyes can approximate albinism as seen in humans, which doesn't tend to come through as pink or red due to how our eyes handle pigment differently. (And dragons have elemental eyes, so honestly we can go wild with assuming how albinism works there— most of the elements have a lighter or desaturated version of the common color that might work well if someone's attempting a breeding project but doesn't want to be bound to a specific element.) We can also make leucistic dragons using one of the less saturated colors if we'd like!

As for melanism:

dragon?age=0&body=10&bodygene=19&breed=9&element=1&eyetype=3&gender=0&tert=10&tertgene=12&winggene=18&wings=10&auth=2d45bd3d69cc8e9ccab0399eb83b7909b7cce517&dummyext=prev.png
You can still see the spots on xxx Obsidian.

My own main hang-up is just that… I don't think this would work in terms of FR colors or genes, because of how simplistic the breeding system has historically been. The structure has always been not realism but customizability and being able to obtain predictable results. Suddenly introducing colors/genes/mutations outside the breeding system would be a lot of chaos (as with the eyes referenced above, but moreso).

Genes could be fun but… what would the pattern be? Since pigment mutations/genes are related to how the body handles pigment rather than a specific pattern shared across species. And since albinism/melanism/leucism/etc can be simulated within the structure already, I'm not sure it's necessary.
As with your mutation suggestion I don’t want a repeat of the eyepocalypse. If something like this was added it must be available to existing dragons (the mechanism must not retire or cycle) and there must be a removal option
As with your mutation suggestion I don’t want a repeat of the eyepocalypse. If something like this was added it must be available to existing dragons (the mechanism must not retire or cycle) and there must be a removal option
3DS Friend Code: 5300-9941-4980
#UnnamedIsValid .:. Nature Sales Thread .:. Strider Subspecies
I think mutations like this would actually pair well with some sort of trading post NPC that can undo them for free... makes it sort of fun, and less of a problem for people who don't like the idea of mutations based on the dragons Not being like they expected

I think it's neat :D
I think mutations like this would actually pair well with some sort of trading post NPC that can undo them for free... makes it sort of fun, and less of a problem for people who don't like the idea of mutations based on the dragons Not being like they expected

I think it's neat :D
I'd support if mutations hadn't been what ruined lioden. No support.
I'd support if mutations hadn't been what ruined lioden. No support.
@GrimoireBlack Plague or arcane eyes. Daub in the right colors.
@GrimoireBlack Plague or arcane eyes. Daub in the right colors.
Help I'm trapped in a signature!
[item=skin: albino guardian][item=skin: albino bat][item=Skin: Albino Bat (M)][item=Skin: Albino Wildclaw] There have been several skins intended to make dragons appear to be albino, including one that was officially a treasure marketplace item for quite a while. I think melanism and albinism might work better as opt-in skins instead of random mutations, in order to sidestep the concerns brought up earlier about undesirable randomness in breeding projects.
Skin: Albino Guardian Skin: Albino Bat Skin: Albino Bat (M) Skin: Albino Wildclaw

There have been several skins intended to make dragons appear to be albino, including one that was officially a treasure marketplace item for quite a while. I think melanism and albinism might work better as opt-in skins instead of random mutations, in order to sidestep the concerns brought up earlier about undesirable randomness in breeding projects.
An Ice emblem on a background made of ice and lava. It briefly shimmers.An Ice Flight banner. The Ice emblem briefly grows icicles, which fall to the ground.An Ice emblem on a background of ice shaped like a Christmas ornament. It briefly shimmers.An Ice Flight banner. The Ice emblem briefly grows icicles, which fall to the ground."An
Just breed a dragon with all white colors and red/pink eyes you don't need to make everyone else suffer
Just breed a dragon with all white colors and red/pink eyes you don't need to make everyone else suffer
66.png
1 2