Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Requiring naming your dragon to exalt it
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Looks like I'm late this time. [img]https://i.imgur.com/Z0uZnPL.png[/img] Please do with your dragons what you'd like and I'll do what I like with mine. If I choose to exalt or simply own a dragon without a name it's [i]my dragon[/i].
Looks like I'm late this time.
Z0uZnPL.png
Please do with your dragons what you'd like and I'll do what I like with mine. If I choose to exalt or simply own a dragon without a name it's my dragon.
I want to live in Theory. Everything works there.

Have you checked the Gem MP for Gene and Breed scrolls before buying an AH listing from me ending in 5g?
[quote]Excuse me but did you ever consider that some people might actually like unnamed exalts? Especially for lore?[/quote] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=552848] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/5529/552848_350.png[/img] [/url] The Unnamed One comes out of his hibernation specifically to demonstrate that the phrase above is valid. He does not appreciate people trying to ruin the perfect naming pattern of his family.
Quote:
Excuse me but did you ever consider that some people might actually like unnamed exalts? Especially for lore?

552848_350.png

The Unnamed One comes out of his hibernation specifically to demonstrate that the phrase above is valid. He does not appreciate people trying to ruin the perfect naming pattern of his family.
No Support Ever.

This comes up quite a bit, so it would be worthwhile to use the forum search.

The owner gets to decide what happens to the dragon. This includes genes, colors, exalted, and yes, named or not. FR has already outlined its stance on the issue here. Once a dragon is sold, traded, or otherwise leaves a lair, it belongs to the new owner full stop. The new owner can do whatever he or she wishes with the dragon (excluding rule breaking).

So the bottom line is for breeders to name before they sell, trade, or otherwise relinquish ownership.

This extends to once the dragon is exalted. All exalted dragons are still tied to the accounts of the people who exalted them. The proof is when that player changes flights, all of his/her exalted dragons serve the new deity.

This isn't a matter of someone being lazy, rude, or inconsiderate. People have different play styles. Unnamed doesn't bother many people; they sell Unnamed so other players don't have to buy a Scroll of Renaming, and they accept that these dragons might forever be Unnamed. Others use it in lore. This includes Unnamed offspring (some players use Unnamed exalted offspring to denote stillborns) to Unnamed parentage (I have a couple myself, and I don't want that to change. At all.) Some players mass exalt so much that taking the time to name, or even use the randomizer, would slow down their Dom efforts.

Forcing names on people interferes with all these different playstyles. It ruins lore and handicaps exalting. If these names are randomized, it's even worse, as many people hate the names inside the randomizer.

This also fails to consider other names players dislike. Look at all the exalted dragons saddled with names involving "snot" or "fart." Should the owners of those dragons' parents also have a say in those terrible names? What about dragons that are Unnamed but in active lairs? In inactive lairs? This suggestion doesn't deal with those, which means anyone who sells Unnamed could forever wind up with Unnamed on an offspring list.

It's also unfair to let the owner of the dragon parents have control over the name. What if the two different players own the parents? What if someone bought an already bred dragon? What if the Unnamed dragons were bred and now have active offspring with Unnamed parentage? All of these scenarios ultimately boil down to trying to give control to someone who isn't the dragons' owner. And that just isn't how things work.

Forcing any type of generic or default name upon exalting wouldn't be well received either. If every Unnamed dragon got automatically named Acolyte, for example, upon exalting, people would just dislike it because it's the default name. The same would go for any default name assigned at hatching, sale, or exalting. That is what the root problem of Unnamed is. People dislike it because it's the default name, and that is something people will have to change their own mindsets about.

I do support FR creating a mechanic that lets players cherry-pick which offspring are visible or not. This includes exalted, not exalted, named, badly named, Unnamed, ugly, pretty, lore-relevant, lore-irrelevant, bred by another user, or any other reason a player may want to hide an offspring. Of course, there should be a link to the full offspring list for genealogy purposes and as an anti-scam measure.

I also like the suggestion of nicknaming dragons on your profile only. This doesn't actually change the dragons' names. It's outlined here. I like this suggestion less than the cherry-picking offspring suggestion, but if that's what we get, then that's what we get. I won't complain because it's better than this suggestion.
No Support Ever.

This comes up quite a bit, so it would be worthwhile to use the forum search.

The owner gets to decide what happens to the dragon. This includes genes, colors, exalted, and yes, named or not. FR has already outlined its stance on the issue here. Once a dragon is sold, traded, or otherwise leaves a lair, it belongs to the new owner full stop. The new owner can do whatever he or she wishes with the dragon (excluding rule breaking).

So the bottom line is for breeders to name before they sell, trade, or otherwise relinquish ownership.

This extends to once the dragon is exalted. All exalted dragons are still tied to the accounts of the people who exalted them. The proof is when that player changes flights, all of his/her exalted dragons serve the new deity.

This isn't a matter of someone being lazy, rude, or inconsiderate. People have different play styles. Unnamed doesn't bother many people; they sell Unnamed so other players don't have to buy a Scroll of Renaming, and they accept that these dragons might forever be Unnamed. Others use it in lore. This includes Unnamed offspring (some players use Unnamed exalted offspring to denote stillborns) to Unnamed parentage (I have a couple myself, and I don't want that to change. At all.) Some players mass exalt so much that taking the time to name, or even use the randomizer, would slow down their Dom efforts.

Forcing names on people interferes with all these different playstyles. It ruins lore and handicaps exalting. If these names are randomized, it's even worse, as many people hate the names inside the randomizer.

This also fails to consider other names players dislike. Look at all the exalted dragons saddled with names involving "snot" or "fart." Should the owners of those dragons' parents also have a say in those terrible names? What about dragons that are Unnamed but in active lairs? In inactive lairs? This suggestion doesn't deal with those, which means anyone who sells Unnamed could forever wind up with Unnamed on an offspring list.

It's also unfair to let the owner of the dragon parents have control over the name. What if the two different players own the parents? What if someone bought an already bred dragon? What if the Unnamed dragons were bred and now have active offspring with Unnamed parentage? All of these scenarios ultimately boil down to trying to give control to someone who isn't the dragons' owner. And that just isn't how things work.

Forcing any type of generic or default name upon exalting wouldn't be well received either. If every Unnamed dragon got automatically named Acolyte, for example, upon exalting, people would just dislike it because it's the default name. The same would go for any default name assigned at hatching, sale, or exalting. That is what the root problem of Unnamed is. People dislike it because it's the default name, and that is something people will have to change their own mindsets about.

I do support FR creating a mechanic that lets players cherry-pick which offspring are visible or not. This includes exalted, not exalted, named, badly named, Unnamed, ugly, pretty, lore-relevant, lore-irrelevant, bred by another user, or any other reason a player may want to hide an offspring. Of course, there should be a link to the full offspring list for genealogy purposes and as an anti-scam measure.

I also like the suggestion of nicknaming dragons on your profile only. This doesn't actually change the dragons' names. It's outlined here. I like this suggestion less than the cherry-picking offspring suggestion, but if that's what we get, then that's what we get. I won't complain because it's better than this suggestion.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
[quote]This also fails to consider other names players dislike. Look at all the exalted dragons saddled with names involving "snot" or "fart." Should the owners of those dragons' parents also have a say in those [b]terrible names[/b]? [/quote] Excuse you. Those are very good Plague names, thankyouverymuch. ;) [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=47023872] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/470239/47023872_350.png[/img] [/url][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=48376060] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/483761/48376060_350.png[/img] [/url]
Quote:
This also fails to consider other names players dislike. Look at all the exalted dragons saddled with names involving "snot" or "fart." Should the owners of those dragons' parents also have a say in those terrible names?

Excuse you. Those are very good Plague names, thankyouverymuch. ;)

47023872_350.png

48376060_350.png
Y3kY2LN.png
[quote name="Shian" date="2019-02-13 15:59:49" ] [quote]This also fails to consider other names players dislike. Look at all the exalted dragons saddled with names involving "snot" or "fart." Should the owners of those dragons' parents also have a say in those [b]terrible names[/b]? [/quote] Excuse you. Those are very good Plague names, thankyouverymuch. ;) [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=47023872] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/470239/47023872_350.png[/img] [/url][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=48376060] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/483761/48376060_350.png[/img] [/url] [/quote] But... I am not IN plague... So, why should my water babies have to have *PLAGUE* names? /sarcasm. The quote is exactly how I feel. Unnamed is simply one word of many. It is also the *only* not-banned word that the breeder of the dragon can completely, 100% reliably, forever and ever, prevent from showing up on the parent's offspring list. Once a dragon is given a name, they can not be renamed to 'Unnamed'. So, by naming all dragons before selling, you are not preventing snot, fart, or any other name you might dislike from showing up, but you ARE preventing 'Unnamed' from showing up. Period. So, if you want a way to force players to not use Unnamed in their lores/however they want to use it, I want a way to prevent things *I* dislike from showing up on my offspring list. I name all dragons that leave, but I can't prevent someone from renaming one of the babies I sell.
Shian wrote on 2019-02-13 15:59:49:
Quote:
This also fails to consider other names players dislike. Look at all the exalted dragons saddled with names involving "snot" or "fart." Should the owners of those dragons' parents also have a say in those terrible names?

Excuse you. Those are very good Plague names, thankyouverymuch. ;)

47023872_350.png

48376060_350.png
But... I am not IN plague... So, why should my water babies have to have *PLAGUE* names? /sarcasm.

The quote is exactly how I feel. Unnamed is simply one word of many. It is also the *only* not-banned word that the breeder of the dragon can completely, 100% reliably, forever and ever, prevent from showing up on the parent's offspring list.

Once a dragon is given a name, they can not be renamed to 'Unnamed'. So, by naming all dragons before selling, you are not preventing snot, fart, or any other name you might dislike from showing up, but you ARE preventing 'Unnamed' from showing up. Period.

So, if you want a way to force players to not use Unnamed in their lores/however they want to use it, I want a way to prevent things *I* dislike from showing up on my offspring list. I name all dragons that leave, but I can't prevent someone from renaming one of the babies I sell.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
Dragons don't magically become unnamed - if you originally didn't name it, you didn't care when you sold it.

If you care, you should have named it before selling. Apparently, since MULTIPLE of your precious fodder were sold and exalted unnamed, I don't think you really care that much in the first place.
Dragons don't magically become unnamed - if you originally didn't name it, you didn't care when you sold it.

If you care, you should have named it before selling. Apparently, since MULTIPLE of your precious fodder were sold and exalted unnamed, I don't think you really care that much in the first place.
I got stuck with Snotlocker on my offspring list (that's where that comment is coming from). I sold a dragon named. Someone bought it and renamed it Snotlocker. Someone even bred it before exalting it. As much as I dislike Snotlocker on my offspring list, that STILL doesn't give me the right to rename someone else's dragon.
I got stuck with Snotlocker on my offspring list (that's where that comment is coming from). I sold a dragon named. Someone bought it and renamed it Snotlocker. Someone even bred it before exalting it. As much as I dislike Snotlocker on my offspring list, that STILL doesn't give me the right to rename someone else's dragon.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
[quote name="Valemora" date="2019-02-13 15:09:33" ] [quote]Excuse me but did you ever consider that some people might actually like unnamed exalts? Especially for lore?[/quote] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=552848] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/5529/552848_350.png[/img] [/url] The Unnamed One comes out of his hibernation specifically to demonstrate that the phrase above is valid. He does not appreciate people trying to ruin the perfect naming pattern of his family. [/quote] I love The Unnamed One. Also I swear he looks spookier than when I last saw him. :'''D [emoji=familiar heart]
Valemora wrote on 2019-02-13 15:09:33:
Quote:
Excuse me but did you ever consider that some people might actually like unnamed exalts? Especially for lore?

552848_350.png

The Unnamed One comes out of his hibernation specifically to demonstrate that the phrase above is valid. He does not appreciate people trying to ruin the perfect naming pattern of his family.

I love The Unnamed One. Also I swear he looks spookier than when I last saw him. :'''D
tumblr_inline_pfkgulDiIn1rl0bsp_100.pngGY5Jmcm.png old-oaks-3.png
[quote name="gemajgall" date="2019-02-13 16:37:40" ] I got stuck with Snotlocker on my offspring list (that's where that comment is coming from). I sold a dragon named. Someone bought it and renamed it Snotlocker. Someone even bred it before exalting it. As much as I dislike Snotlocker on my offspring list, that STILL doesn't give me the right to rename someone else's dragon. [/quote] Mine was named Poobles. Second in the list, too. I don't have the parents anymore, but it was... surprising to see that name appear in the list. He wasn't exalted, btw - still has apparel, accent and stuff, as well as a cute lil bio. So... yeah, Unnamed is definitely not the worst thing that can happen to the list XD [quote name="PurpleTartan" date="2019-02-13 16:46:14" ] I love The Unnamed One. Also I swear he looks spookier than when I last saw him. :'''D [emoji=familiar heart] [/quote] The Unnamed One does not love you back, but he feels a certain... lack of disdain for you, so it's as close to love as he can manage :3 Yeah, those grasp thingies were perfect for him.
gemajgall wrote on 2019-02-13 16:37:40:
Mine was named Poobles. Second in the list, too. I don't have the parents anymore, but it was... surprising to see that name appear in the list. He wasn't exalted, btw - still has apparel, accent and stuff, as well as a cute lil bio. So... yeah, Unnamed is definitely not the worst thing that can happen to the list XD
PurpleTartan wrote on 2019-02-13 16:46:14:
I love The Unnamed One. Also I swear he looks spookier than when I last saw him. :'''D
The Unnamed One does not love you back, but he feels a certain... lack of disdain for you, so it's as close to love as he can manage :3

Yeah, those grasp thingies were perfect for him.
Yes, absolutely. I really don't like that I've got so many permanently Unnamed offspring.
Yes, absolutely. I really don't like that I've got so many permanently Unnamed offspring.
I'm finally back!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8