Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Ditch the coli Camping or let me skip
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

I definitely agree that it needs to be made bigger/easier to see at the very least. My vision is "ok" and I STILL have difficulty seeing them! lol.

I usually have to squint and zoom in on the page, but then everything's all blurry and still a tricky to make out.

I definitely agree that it needs to be made bigger/easier to see at the very least. My vision is "ok" and I STILL have difficulty seeing them! lol.

I usually have to squint and zoom in on the page, but then everything's all blurry and still a tricky to make out.
dTxwAN.gifzDdwyYN.gif
[quote name="Amut" date="2020-01-01 09:43:55" ] God guys, read the whole post. I can totally get behind skipping if I have to click a Skip button. That's a live user imput, same as clicking a semi-invisble dragon that's a 1/2inch wide, and if it can move around so much the better. It'll just be a "dragon" you can *see* for a change. I don't see how this is any different than the captcha keybind suggestion in another 1st page thread. At least one doesn't have to play find the dragon anymore. Edit: I still think the captcha is unnecessary if you keep doing things that only a live person would be doing. Like training fodder. I somehow doubt bots play for 6 rounds, then go back to the main screen, change dragons, jump back in, play 6 rounds, go back to the main screen, change dragons, jump back in. That's something only a LIVE PLAYER would ever do. If you keep showing signs of being a live person to a point (if you plan to sit and grind only for 6 hours, then yeah, you may need a captcha to check on you every so often) then the server should be able to tell live-player behavior from a bot. Unless we're all using the keybinds (which I don't, I hybrid play -keyboard to select attacks, mouse to target because its easier for me because the current layout is gigantic handstrain for me), we should all be hitting different spots on the enemies with the mouse, and that's another thing the server should be able to see. Bots are dumb, because programs are dumb, if you tell it to target a certain set of X/Y coordinates, it's never going to deviate from those coordinates. I can tell you right now that I click all over enemies, usually aiming for the neck/shoulder point. Another user might aim solely for heads to click on. But we're both going to have serious deviations from an ideal point because of how the images look. Obviously the server knows where we click, because otherwise attacks wouldn't connect and misclicks are a constant *thing*. A bot will never do that, it literally can't misclick, EVER. That's another nice, subtle and non-intrusive way to tell a live player from a bot. A captcha should only be used to really "triple-check" a person if they do something botlike for too long, not assume from the start that everyone is already a bot, and therefore hassle everyone in perpetuity. [/quote] Unfortunately, basically everything you've listed is easily doable with a bot! Randomise the click location within a small range? Line or two of code. Wait varying amounts of time between clicks? Deliberate misclicks? Sure. Level fodder then beep to alert someone to switch the fodder over? Pretty much the same. Click a skip button instead? Might as well have no detection at all.
Amut wrote on 2020-01-01 09:43:55:
God guys, read the whole post. I can totally get behind skipping if I have to click a Skip button. That's a live user imput, same as clicking a semi-invisble dragon that's a 1/2inch wide, and if it can move around so much the better. It'll just be a "dragon" you can *see* for a change.

I don't see how this is any different than the captcha keybind suggestion in another 1st page thread. At least one doesn't have to play find the dragon anymore.

Edit: I still think the captcha is unnecessary if you keep doing things that only a live person would be doing. Like training fodder. I somehow doubt bots play for 6 rounds, then go back to the main screen, change dragons, jump back in, play 6 rounds, go back to the main screen, change dragons, jump back in. That's something only a LIVE PLAYER would ever do.

If you keep showing signs of being a live person to a point (if you plan to sit and grind only for 6 hours, then yeah, you may need a captcha to check on you every so often) then the server should be able to tell live-player behavior from a bot. Unless we're all using the keybinds (which I don't, I hybrid play -keyboard to select attacks, mouse to target because its easier for me because the current layout is gigantic handstrain for me), we should all be hitting different spots on the enemies with the mouse, and that's another thing the server should be able to see.

Bots are dumb, because programs are dumb, if you tell it to target a certain set of X/Y coordinates, it's never going to deviate from those coordinates. I can tell you right now that I click all over enemies, usually aiming for the neck/shoulder point. Another user might aim solely for heads to click on. But we're both going to have serious deviations from an ideal point because of how the images look. Obviously the server knows where we click, because otherwise attacks wouldn't connect and misclicks are a constant *thing*. A bot will never do that, it literally can't misclick, EVER. That's another nice, subtle and non-intrusive way to tell a live player from a bot.

A captcha should only be used to really "triple-check" a person if they do something botlike for too long, not assume from the start that everyone is already a bot, and therefore hassle everyone in perpetuity.

Unfortunately, basically everything you've listed is easily doable with a bot!
Randomise the click location within a small range? Line or two of code. Wait varying amounts of time between clicks? Deliberate misclicks? Sure. Level fodder then beep to alert someone to switch the fodder over? Pretty much the same. Click a skip button instead? Might as well have no detection at all.
jYPBXj5.png4RsuN8b.pngMXNV32c.pngS7EiNKy.png
I don't support skipping it, but I do support doing literally anything to make it easier. I'm colourblind and sick of getting locked out, and I know many others struggle with vision problems. I think it would help if they just made the images larger (and let you zoom without blurriness) and thickened the lines around the dragon so it's easier to see without relying on colours.
I don't support skipping it, but I do support doing literally anything to make it easier. I'm colourblind and sick of getting locked out, and I know many others struggle with vision problems. I think it would help if they just made the images larger (and let you zoom without blurriness) and thickened the lines around the dragon so it's easier to see without relying on colours.
6ntc1cC.jpg
I have no issues with passing the captcha and I still think it doesn't have a place at all. It's more a hindrance to normal players than it is to botters.

If it really has to stay then it should be so easily cleared by a human being that it can't even be considered a nuisance like it is in its current iteration.
I have no issues with passing the captcha and I still think it doesn't have a place at all. It's more a hindrance to normal players than it is to botters.

If it really has to stay then it should be so easily cleared by a human being that it can't even be considered a nuisance like it is in its current iteration.
sBdLZtA.png
Unpopular opinion:

We shouldn't punish honest players for what cheaters do.

If the measures that are taken to stop botters LARGELY hurt people that play by the book, it's not worth it to me. The Camping screen /barely/ works on mobile and I've gotten banned from the Coli a few times because of it. On desktop I have very little trouble, but it's still a dang game of Where's Waldo sometimes to find the stupid dragon.

People are gonna cheat. It's inevitable in every single game that has any measurable exploit. It's difficult to curb the use of third party software in a browser-based game, but to me, the solution isn't to make the game harder for people that have never and will never break the rules.

The reason I don't bot is not because of the captchas. It's because it's against the rules. I'm not risking my account. I've spent real money here, lol. If someone else wants to get themselves banned that's their deal.

Unpopular opinion:

If the measures that are taken to stop botters LARGELY hurt people that play by the book, it's not worth it to me. The Camping screen /barely/ works on mobile and I've gotten banned from the Coli a few times because of it. On desktop I have very little trouble, but it's still a dang game of Where's Waldo sometimes to find the stupid dragon.

People are gonna cheat. It's inevitable in every single game that has any measurable exploit. It's difficult to curb the use of third party software in a browser-based game, but to me, the solution isn't to make the game harder for people that have never and will never break the rules.

The reason I don't bot is not because of the captchas. It's because it's against the rules. I'm not risking my account. I've spent real money here, lol. If someone else wants to get themselves banned that's their deal.

nZzzLxJ.png Horror aesthetic/lore lair
Weird goblin hermit
She/Her
.......................... Massive Horror fan
Gamer
Writer
zwGyDvx.png
It's not only a struggle for people with vision problems. My vision is fine, but I tend to "fail" captchas for some reason because the dragon I clicked apparently wasn't a dragon in the programe's opinion :/
It's not only a struggle for people with vision problems. My vision is fine, but I tend to "fail" captchas for some reason because the dragon I clicked apparently wasn't a dragon in the programe's opinion :/
xeDKNxe.png
  • Introvert
  • 9+ Hrs ahead of FR time fr__arcane_by_baelfin-d8uyn6b.png
[quote]If the measures that are taken to stop botters LARGELY hurt people that play by the book, it's not worth it to me.[/quote] Removing the captchas is well, still going to LARGELY hurt people that play by the book, just, in a different way. Botters are gonna bot, deflate everything that's still massively profitable, meaning that the little that legit players will get will sell for less, because there will be more of these specific items in the economy, thanks for cheating. Between "being inconvenient to people that use the coli" and "being inconvenient to everyone, including non-coli users", I will take the former.
Quote:
If the measures that are taken to stop botters LARGELY hurt people that play by the book, it's not worth it to me.

Removing the captchas is well, still going to LARGELY hurt people that play by the book, just, in a different way.

Botters are gonna bot, deflate everything that's still massively profitable, meaning that the little that legit players will get will sell for less, because there will be more of these specific items in the economy, thanks for cheating.

Between "being inconvenient to people that use the coli" and "being inconvenient to everyone, including non-coli users", I will take the former.
Alternatives to captchas are programs that "analyze" player behavior. I'll take captcha and it's frustrations over having my account frozen for months (thank you, Neopets) while I politely explain why my game score in Meerca Chase is so consistent every 5-10 days in smaller and smaller words until Customer Service admits that someone botting would not keep putting in the effort to get my account back or they finally understood the math behind the game they thought I was cheating at.

I played Gravity Mode which multiplies points by 6. With only 8 things worth points and needing to send scores high enough for World Challenge but not high enough to trigger the "let us hold your score for review" limit means there's only a dozen possible scores I'm going to send in. Freezing me for sending in too many identical scores is not bot behavior. It's math.

Alternatives to captchas are programs that "analyze" player behavior. I'll take captcha and it's frustrations over having my account frozen for months (thank you, Neopets) while I politely explain why my game score in Meerca Chase is so consistent every 5-10 days in smaller and smaller words until Customer Service admits that someone botting would not keep putting in the effort to get my account back or they finally understood the math behind the game they thought I was cheating at.

I played Gravity Mode which multiplies points by 6. With only 8 things worth points and needing to send scores high enough for World Challenge but not high enough to trigger the "let us hold your score for review" limit means there's only a dozen possible scores I'm going to send in. Freezing me for sending in too many identical scores is not bot behavior. It's math.

I want to live in Theory. Everything works there.

Have you checked the Gem MP for Gene and Breed scrolls before buying an AH listing from me ending in 5g?
I'm not saying it should be removed, though.

And it isn't just inconvenient: the coli is unplayable for people with vision issues.

I am saying that the solution to cheaters shouldn't be a punishment to non cheaters. Camping captchas shouldn't be magic eye puzzles, lol. I have non disabled vision and *I* can't even make out the dragon 100% of the time.

The coli should be accessible to people regardless of their physical abilities. Make captchas clearly visible and colorblind friendly, and I say IP ban botters when they are caught.
I'm not saying it should be removed, though.

And it isn't just inconvenient: the coli is unplayable for people with vision issues.

I am saying that the solution to cheaters shouldn't be a punishment to non cheaters. Camping captchas shouldn't be magic eye puzzles, lol. I have non disabled vision and *I* can't even make out the dragon 100% of the time.

The coli should be accessible to people regardless of their physical abilities. Make captchas clearly visible and colorblind friendly, and I say IP ban botters when they are caught.
nZzzLxJ.png Horror aesthetic/lore lair
Weird goblin hermit
She/Her
.......................... Massive Horror fan
Gamer
Writer
zwGyDvx.png
[quote name="GrimoireBlack" date="2020-01-02 05:28:08" ] Unpopular opinion: We shouldn't punish honest players for what cheaters do. If the measures that are taken to stop botters LARGELY hurt people that play by the book, it's not worth it to me. The Camping screen /barely/ works on mobile and I've gotten banned from the Coli a few times because of it. On desktop I have very little trouble, but it's still a dang game of Where's Waldo sometimes to find the stupid dragon. People are gonna cheat. It's inevitable in every single game that has any measurable exploit. It's difficult to curb the use of third party software in a browser-based game, but to me, the solution isn't to make the game harder for people that have never and will never break the rules. The reason I don't bot is not because of the captchas. It's because it's against the rules. I'm not risking my account. I've spent real money here, lol. If someone else wants to get themselves banned that's their deal. [/quote] Mood. Cheaters gonna cheat
GrimoireBlack wrote on 2020-01-02 05:28:08:
Unpopular opinion:

Mood. Cheaters gonna cheat
tumblr_pap6duN5Et1vvc1jno1_500.png

+3 fr time
1 2 3 4 5 6 7