Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Add a Genetic Component to Eye Types
1 2
I fully understand that the eye types are random mutations as a result of the peaks in magic a la BotE, but I think making them purely random detracts from the customisation of breeding. While I do like the idea of it being random, I think it's not a good idea to make it purely random.

What I had in mind was that any combination of eyes bred against each other could feasibly produce any eye type, however, depending on the eye types of the parents, there could be an increased chance of the eyes that they have. In this way it would simultaneously allow for more control for the players, which in the field of aesthetics I think is a good thing, however it still allows for random generation of this, fitting with the lore based explanation of magic instigated mutations. Furthermore, if these are truly mutations, it stands to reason that they are hereditary, if also recessive.

I think this would not only be a good middle ground between what we already have and what we, the userbase, want, but also it would make a bit more sense in canon.
I fully understand that the eye types are random mutations as a result of the peaks in magic a la BotE, but I think making them purely random detracts from the customisation of breeding. While I do like the idea of it being random, I think it's not a good idea to make it purely random.

What I had in mind was that any combination of eyes bred against each other could feasibly produce any eye type, however, depending on the eye types of the parents, there could be an increased chance of the eyes that they have. In this way it would simultaneously allow for more control for the players, which in the field of aesthetics I think is a good thing, however it still allows for random generation of this, fitting with the lore based explanation of magic instigated mutations. Furthermore, if these are truly mutations, it stands to reason that they are hereditary, if also recessive.

I think this would not only be a good middle ground between what we already have and what we, the userbase, want, but also it would make a bit more sense in canon.
sorry my christmas sig has been up until may it won't happen again
Support

This is a breeding website. Why would making what is essentially a quaternary gene make sense? The whole breeding mechanic is based off of chances for certain things to happen due to the parents' genes/colors.

And yes, I know Staff keeps insisting it isn't a Fourth gene, but it pretty much it as this point. But it's 100% random.
Support

This is a breeding website. Why would making what is essentially a quaternary gene make sense? The whole breeding mechanic is based off of chances for certain things to happen due to the parents' genes/colors.

And yes, I know Staff keeps insisting it isn't a Fourth gene, but it pretty much it as this point. But it's 100% random.
I've got mixed feelings on this. On one hand, the way eyes are implemented right now doesn't make a lot of sense to me, and on some level I'd prefer to breed for them. On the other... I got the feeling FR really wanted to make those rarer eyes special, and not subject to the same trends which see xxy gem/gem/gem gened dragons sell for fodder prices on the auction house a month after a new gene comes out. Making them easier to breed will inevitably do that.
I've got mixed feelings on this. On one hand, the way eyes are implemented right now doesn't make a lot of sense to me, and on some level I'd prefer to breed for them. On the other... I got the feeling FR really wanted to make those rarer eyes special, and not subject to the same trends which see xxy gem/gem/gem gened dragons sell for fodder prices on the auction house a month after a new gene comes out. Making them easier to breed will inevitably do that.
tumblr_inline_omxl63fueX1s9ucgw_500.gif
XPDxt22.png
@Laluzi i see your point. while i was thinking of a significant boost, i still think making a primary part of the odds in favour of a random eye type thats not in either of the parents fits this idea better. think jumping from 1 percent to 10 or 20 as opposed to them being the only or primary options. like i said, they could be recessive. this is a really good point.
@Laluzi i see your point. while i was thinking of a significant boost, i still think making a primary part of the odds in favour of a random eye type thats not in either of the parents fits this idea better. think jumping from 1 percent to 10 or 20 as opposed to them being the only or primary options. like i said, they could be recessive. this is a really good point.
I also am mixed on this.

I don't mind the randomness, I just think that retiring the vials is a bad idea. They could fix it either way, but I would prefer to just be able to change it after the fact rather than having ANOTHER thing I need to breed for.
I also am mixed on this.

I don't mind the randomness, I just think that retiring the vials is a bad idea. They could fix it either way, but I would prefer to just be able to change it after the fact rather than having ANOTHER thing I need to breed for.
Q9opeXe.png...8ydRw4n.png...o022-d01-L-Firtarian.pngo141-d02-Firtarian.pngo141-d03-Firtarian.pngo141-d04-Firtarian.pngs1-d2-Firtarian.pngs1-d14-Firtarian.pngs1-d16-Firtarian.pngs1-d4-Firtarian.png
@Flitarian i agree, vials shouldnt be retired. maybe those two concepts dont go hand in hand haha. but the vials shouldnt be retired for sure. cycled and rare maybe, but not retired.
@Flitarian i agree, vials shouldnt be retired. maybe those two concepts dont go hand in hand haha. but the vials shouldnt be retired for sure. cycled and rare maybe, but not retired.
Support. The lack of control is infuriating when compared to the amount of control (or not) we could [i]choose[/i] to have prior to this. The fact the items are slated to be retired is only more infuriating, as well as forcing all users to participate through nest breeding regardless if they want to participate or not. Lore does not always equal good mechanics. [quote name="MoonLuxray" date="2018-06-08 13:38:23" ] Support This is a breeding website. Why would making what is essentially a quaternary gene make sense? The whole breeding mechanic is based off of chances for certain things to happen due to the parents' genes/colors. And yes, I know Staff keeps insisting it isn't a Fourth gene, but it pretty much it as this point. But it's 100% random. [/quote] They even listed Eye Type under Tertiary genes on dragon tooltips and pages. It's visually a quaternary gene. Functionally, varying patterns and designs look no different than tertiary genes to me, just with eyes.
Support. The lack of control is infuriating when compared to the amount of control (or not) we could choose to have prior to this. The fact the items are slated to be retired is only more infuriating, as well as forcing all users to participate through nest breeding regardless if they want to participate or not. Lore does not always equal good mechanics.
MoonLuxray wrote on 2018-06-08 13:38:23:
Support

They even listed Eye Type under Tertiary genes on dragon tooltips and pages. It's visually a quaternary gene. Functionally, varying patterns and designs look no different than tertiary genes to me, just with eyes.
Alpha :: FR+0
they/them or
he/him please!

tumblr_inline_ojq6kyaRlG1r2ao8y_540.pngtumblr_inline_ojq6kvO0vd1r2ao8y_540.pngtumblr_inline_ojq6kzLZx61r2ao8y_540.png
_____ vxsLSdd.png _ ° Wishlist
° Badges
° Clan Exalter
° Scatter Quest
° UMs for Sale
__ ° Hug Moist?
° Moistling Sales
° Nest Rentals
° SIDHA
° 8x8/90mil!
__ TTTYQHv.png 1XIVewE.gif
I can understand where you're coming from, but personally no support.

Breeding has suddenly become far less stale for a lot of people, and it fills a niche nothing else does - no player-driven market saturation. People have been complaining for so long about no dragons being special and it being so hard to sell them and breed rarity not meaning anything. Now you've got something where the rarer ones will only ever trickle in, and are going to be rare and sought-after for a long time.

On top of that, it benefits newbies as much as older players and there's almost nothing else that does that. Everyone has a chance at hatching something that, while it might not be what they want, has a good chance of earning them the starting cash that is needed to get you off the ground. Literally the only thing it can cost you is a bit of time on breeding pairs.

I do feel that we need a cheap revert-to-common vial. That would solve even the time issue with breeding pairs.
I can understand where you're coming from, but personally no support.

Breeding has suddenly become far less stale for a lot of people, and it fills a niche nothing else does - no player-driven market saturation. People have been complaining for so long about no dragons being special and it being so hard to sell them and breed rarity not meaning anything. Now you've got something where the rarer ones will only ever trickle in, and are going to be rare and sought-after for a long time.

On top of that, it benefits newbies as much as older players and there's almost nothing else that does that. Everyone has a chance at hatching something that, while it might not be what they want, has a good chance of earning them the starting cash that is needed to get you off the ground. Literally the only thing it can cost you is a bit of time on breeding pairs.

I do feel that we need a cheap revert-to-common vial. That would solve even the time issue with breeding pairs.
jYPBXj5.png4RsuN8b.pngMXNV32c.pngS7EiNKy.png
@Vendrus ooooh. while i still like my original idea, youve actually swayed me to be more at peace with this. i still maintain that adding a genetic component would make more sense, but i have a much better understanding at where staff was coming from.
@Vendrus ooooh. while i still like my original idea, youve actually swayed me to be more at peace with this. i still maintain that adding a genetic component would make more sense, but i have a much better understanding at where staff was coming from.
Support.

New eye types=cool! No control=bad

This is a breeding game first and foremost. Allowing something like eyes to not be breedable makes absolutely no sense. Why?
  • Eyes already have rarity tiers- just like genes. The framework to implement this is literally the core feature of the site.
  • Yes, eye color has never been genetic, but you DO have a say via nest rentals (or just changing flights entirely). Until this update, you could get exactly the dragon you wanted.
  • That memorial/special date/project dragon that you've carefully worked towards breeding for months/years? Enjoy hideous eyes that you have to pay premium currency to change to 1 other option, which you may not like either!
  • Literally just do a search for "mutations" in the suggestion forum. Things like this have been suggested over and over again just like gender change scrolls, and they have always been been shot down for these reasons and more.
Support.

New eye types=cool! No control=bad

This is a breeding game first and foremost. Allowing something like eyes to not be breedable makes absolutely no sense. Why?
  • Eyes already have rarity tiers- just like genes. The framework to implement this is literally the core feature of the site.
  • Yes, eye color has never been genetic, but you DO have a say via nest rentals (or just changing flights entirely). Until this update, you could get exactly the dragon you wanted.
  • That memorial/special date/project dragon that you've carefully worked towards breeding for months/years? Enjoy hideous eyes that you have to pay premium currency to change to 1 other option, which you may not like either!
  • Literally just do a search for "mutations" in the suggestion forum. Things like this have been suggested over and over again just like gender change scrolls, and they have always been been shot down for these reasons and more.
1 2