Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Mobile Coli -- an app, maybe?
1 2
So, I'm going to preface this with: Yes, I know this is going to be A LOT of work. Yes, I understand that it will take time. Yes, I will completely and totally understand if the staff immediately wants to shut it down because it's just not something they can do right now.

---

I would like to propose a mobile app for the coliseum, or maybe even just a more mobile friendly coliseum screen in general. I'm one of the few in my FR friend circle that can actually play on my phone, and even then, the experience isn't stellar. Between too small of buttons and the fact that the coli will "time out" in the middle of a match if my cell connection changes, half the time I'm on a grinding streak when suddenly I get to start all over again and it's really, really frustrating.

Additionally, I do not always have internet at home. I live in the middle of nowhere, and my weird, janky internet will sometimes go out for days on end and the only access I have to the site is my phone. I'm already restricted on several features (such as arranging my lair, but that can't be helped on a phone really). Grinding in the middle of nowhere with 1x roaming and no internet gets old (and sometimes expensive) very quickly.

I feel like it'd be very beneficial to FR if they were to develop an app for phones that was solely for the coli, but I'm not here to give a sales pitch. Suffice it to say though, if they did make an app, there isn't very much I wouldn't give to get it on my phone. I'd probably drop a nice chunk of change and my left arm if it meant I could get a stable, reliable app to grind with.

Feel free to add anything ya'll think of, but I'm just saying. I'm fully prepared (and almost eager to) pay IRL money and probably everything in my hoard/vault if it meant this lackluster coli experience on my phone comes to a halt.

Note: I am not proposing changes to the system, or how the coli works. I just want to grind in peace, please, I'm begging you
So, I'm going to preface this with: Yes, I know this is going to be A LOT of work. Yes, I understand that it will take time. Yes, I will completely and totally understand if the staff immediately wants to shut it down because it's just not something they can do right now.

---

I would like to propose a mobile app for the coliseum, or maybe even just a more mobile friendly coliseum screen in general. I'm one of the few in my FR friend circle that can actually play on my phone, and even then, the experience isn't stellar. Between too small of buttons and the fact that the coli will "time out" in the middle of a match if my cell connection changes, half the time I'm on a grinding streak when suddenly I get to start all over again and it's really, really frustrating.

Additionally, I do not always have internet at home. I live in the middle of nowhere, and my weird, janky internet will sometimes go out for days on end and the only access I have to the site is my phone. I'm already restricted on several features (such as arranging my lair, but that can't be helped on a phone really). Grinding in the middle of nowhere with 1x roaming and no internet gets old (and sometimes expensive) very quickly.

I feel like it'd be very beneficial to FR if they were to develop an app for phones that was solely for the coli, but I'm not here to give a sales pitch. Suffice it to say though, if they did make an app, there isn't very much I wouldn't give to get it on my phone. I'd probably drop a nice chunk of change and my left arm if it meant I could get a stable, reliable app to grind with.

Feel free to add anything ya'll think of, but I'm just saying. I'm fully prepared (and almost eager to) pay IRL money and probably everything in my hoard/vault if it meant this lackluster coli experience on my phone comes to a halt.

Note: I am not proposing changes to the system, or how the coli works. I just want to grind in peace, please, I'm begging you
5MwdWh0.pngaesq82D.gif
...I'd like this to be able to work.

Problems with an app (beside the obvious expensive, needs a team, etc.) is that this site is a web-based site with so many pages, things to do, and other things that wouldn't work well in app format or would severely limit what you can do in this game.

That being said, I think converting a (small) part of the site, aka the coli, to app format maybe could work? You'd be able to use your dragons and play through the coliseum, and then have your winnings sent to you either just automatically to your hoard or simply in a PM to yourself.

I don't know much about programming or apps, but here's my add on/suggestions?

1) The app is only the coli, and only linked to what dragons you have available for the coli. You log into your account and only have access to the coli page that lets you choose your team and then go to the venue. You do not have access to stats or stones. Your winnings from the coli would be sent as a PM.

2) Same as above, but you do have access to your stats and stones. This would mean the app would have to have access to your hoard, and thus would be able to just dump your winnings there.

Idk, I think it's a pretty cool suggestion, and would probably be a better solution than deciding to full-out make an app.
Of course, before any of this the mobile version of the site should probably be streamlined for better use.
...I'd like this to be able to work.

Problems with an app (beside the obvious expensive, needs a team, etc.) is that this site is a web-based site with so many pages, things to do, and other things that wouldn't work well in app format or would severely limit what you can do in this game.

That being said, I think converting a (small) part of the site, aka the coli, to app format maybe could work? You'd be able to use your dragons and play through the coliseum, and then have your winnings sent to you either just automatically to your hoard or simply in a PM to yourself.

I don't know much about programming or apps, but here's my add on/suggestions?

1) The app is only the coli, and only linked to what dragons you have available for the coli. You log into your account and only have access to the coli page that lets you choose your team and then go to the venue. You do not have access to stats or stones. Your winnings from the coli would be sent as a PM.

2) Same as above, but you do have access to your stats and stones. This would mean the app would have to have access to your hoard, and thus would be able to just dump your winnings there.

Idk, I think it's a pretty cool suggestion, and would probably be a better solution than deciding to full-out make an app.
Of course, before any of this the mobile version of the site should probably be streamlined for better use.
H0YTYF1.png CAgQpkV.png 7p4ZvEX.png TX13MWN.png
Thank you for the input! My main intention for this suggestion is -- as detailed in the title -- mainly revolving around the coliseum, and not the site in it's entirety (with how huge FR has become, that'd be much to big of an undertaking for me to ever suggest, tbh). I'm not particularly bothered if I can't do nests or feed my dragons or any of the other many facets of this site from an app because for the most part, they tend to be the least buggy experience when i'm using a mobile device for FR.

The coli, however...
Thank you for the input! My main intention for this suggestion is -- as detailed in the title -- mainly revolving around the coliseum, and not the site in it's entirety (with how huge FR has become, that'd be much to big of an undertaking for me to ever suggest, tbh). I'm not particularly bothered if I can't do nests or feed my dragons or any of the other many facets of this site from an app because for the most part, they tend to be the least buggy experience when i'm using a mobile device for FR.

The coli, however...
5MwdWh0.pngaesq82D.gif
I’d rather not see them develop an app but I am definitely in favor of mobile optimization of the site. Apps are too expensive to develop and keeping the app and the site itself updated would be twice (or more depending on if there are different versions of the app for different phone operating systems) the effort. In addition an app could introduce more errors related to the app communicating with the site and rhe loot or experience not transferring over. Another thing to consider is the site is still in closed registration so three weeks out of the month if new players downloaded the ap they wouldn’t be able to make an account and would poorly rate the app
I’d rather not see them develop an app but I am definitely in favor of mobile optimization of the site. Apps are too expensive to develop and keeping the app and the site itself updated would be twice (or more depending on if there are different versions of the app for different phone operating systems) the effort. In addition an app could introduce more errors related to the app communicating with the site and rhe loot or experience not transferring over. Another thing to consider is the site is still in closed registration so three weeks out of the month if new players downloaded the ap they wouldn’t be able to make an account and would poorly rate the app
3DS Friend Code: 5300-9941-4980
#UnnamedIsValid .:. Nature Sales Thread .:. Strider Subspecies
@DragonSage makes an excellent point!

Perhaps the mobile version could be a "simplified" version of the coli? Maybe without animations and more chill time outs? That way, people could still access the mobile version on their computers if they had an older system that can't handle current coli
@DragonSage makes an excellent point!

Perhaps the mobile version could be a "simplified" version of the coli? Maybe without animations and more chill time outs? That way, people could still access the mobile version on their computers if they had an older system that can't handle current coli
With the revamp coming, I fear the coli experience is only going to get worse for mobile users. A simplified version would be nice, and cheaper to make. I always wondered if FR was going to become an app, something that would make it much more accessible to many.
With the revamp coming, I fear the coli experience is only going to get worse for mobile users. A simplified version would be nice, and cheaper to make. I always wondered if FR was going to become an app, something that would make it much more accessible to many.
officer, i drop kicked that child in self defense
~
fr +17 • she / her
Aaaah, that would be great!! :((
Aaaah, that would be great!! :((
@kittyofthesea808
Why would it get worse? You'll be able to turn off animations, and with preset team selection you'll be able to switch around areas for grinding more easily. Fodder training might not get better, unless they address dragon selection on mobile, but there's no indication it'll get worse.

@cheyhiful
From what I know of networking protocols, FR is unlikely to be able to fix timeouts - that's your browser deciding that too long has passed since it was able to contact the server. On a stable internet connection (and chrome) I've generally had a smooth a low-data-use coli experience - it's refreshing that burns data!

However, upcoming changes like toggle off animations will be a boon to everyone, particularly coli users. Here's hoping they also fix dragon selection on mobile.
@kittyofthesea808
Why would it get worse? You'll be able to turn off animations, and with preset team selection you'll be able to switch around areas for grinding more easily. Fodder training might not get better, unless they address dragon selection on mobile, but there's no indication it'll get worse.

@cheyhiful
From what I know of networking protocols, FR is unlikely to be able to fix timeouts - that's your browser deciding that too long has passed since it was able to contact the server. On a stable internet connection (and chrome) I've generally had a smooth a low-data-use coli experience - it's refreshing that burns data!

However, upcoming changes like toggle off animations will be a boon to everyone, particularly coli users. Here's hoping they also fix dragon selection on mobile.
jYPBXj5.png4RsuN8b.pngMXNV32c.pngS7EiNKy.png
@Vendrus

But won't it mean an influx of users using the coli? Lag? IDK really, I couldn't find the post for the revamp, a friend told me some wrong information it seems... I actually got all the info from an IRL friend. Will be asking for some clarification from her...
@Vendrus

But won't it mean an influx of users using the coli? Lag? IDK really, I couldn't find the post for the revamp, a friend told me some wrong information it seems... I actually got all the info from an IRL friend. Will be asking for some clarification from her...
officer, i drop kicked that child in self defense
~
fr +17 • she / her
@kittyofthesea808
Given I've never seen lag from festivals (in the last year, anyway) I'm pretty sure the servers can handle just about anything we can throw at it these days! You'd hope that the backend overhaul would make it more efficient if anything.

I personally wouldn't expect to see a major change in the number of heavy users, but that is pure conjecture.

The announcement with the additions based on user suggestion:
http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ann/2316439

The original post, I think:
http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ann/1997801
@kittyofthesea808
Given I've never seen lag from festivals (in the last year, anyway) I'm pretty sure the servers can handle just about anything we can throw at it these days! You'd hope that the backend overhaul would make it more efficient if anything.

I personally wouldn't expect to see a major change in the number of heavy users, but that is pure conjecture.

The announcement with the additions based on user suggestion:
http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ann/2316439

The original post, I think:
http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ann/1997801
jYPBXj5.png4RsuN8b.pngMXNV32c.pngS7EiNKy.png
1 2