Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Colored Contact Lenses
1 2 3
Actually, most people say that they don't support for FLIGHT colors, not contacts (there are what, 2 people who say no support at all?) Other color contacts would be good for me at least.

As for the non-flight aspect, I feel that by making the contacts in flight colors would go against lore as it would be misrepresenting the dragon. Non-flight colors you would KNOW that the dragon had contacts in, for flight colors you wouldn't until you actually went to the dragons page.

As for the other items we have to change the eye color, they also have a much more visible component than contact lenses. IE the cowl that makes white eyes you can SEE just by looking at the dragon that the white eyes are caused by the cowl. Boneyard tatters I haven't gotten a good look at, but I assume that they are much the same way, they have a visible aspect to them, they are not ONLY for changing eye color. With contact lenses, you wouldn't see anything but a different eye color on your dragon, no frames to show glasses, no cowl, no face paint etc.. To many people, including me, there IS a difference.

And the small eyes part, that is because you wouldn't be able to get much variation in colors with small eyes, the smaller area you have to work with, the harder it is to make similar colors (such as light blue and white) visibly different. In other words, a Dragon with small eyes that are white, would look very close to a dragon with small eyes with a very light blue. And the one that talked about the small eyes, in case you missed it, was talking about patterned contact lenses. The small eyes of say my guardian would make patterns very difficult to actually do as it would be one or two pixels of one color, then you would need one or two pixels of another etc..

Edit: I also have to say that I would hope that the admins would consider lore for every decision they make about what items to make, what features to implement etc.. While a lot of people don't care about lore, the lore of the site is what makes the particular site unique (just as Neopet's lore makes it unique among pet sites etc..). If lore says one thing, then the admins shouldn't just decide to change that lore mid stream just because, or even worse, ignore said lore. That drives me up the wall when I am reading or playing something and halfway through, the author suddenly changes the rules because they want to do something, but they had previously said that it would never happen. Lore should remain consistent (and before anyone says it, I don't mean static, lore should be able to be expanded etc... but they shouldn't say something like the Arcanist is head of Arcane Flight, then decide that the Arcanist feels like taking over plague, things like that)
Actually, most people say that they don't support for FLIGHT colors, not contacts (there are what, 2 people who say no support at all?) Other color contacts would be good for me at least.

As for the non-flight aspect, I feel that by making the contacts in flight colors would go against lore as it would be misrepresenting the dragon. Non-flight colors you would KNOW that the dragon had contacts in, for flight colors you wouldn't until you actually went to the dragons page.

As for the other items we have to change the eye color, they also have a much more visible component than contact lenses. IE the cowl that makes white eyes you can SEE just by looking at the dragon that the white eyes are caused by the cowl. Boneyard tatters I haven't gotten a good look at, but I assume that they are much the same way, they have a visible aspect to them, they are not ONLY for changing eye color. With contact lenses, you wouldn't see anything but a different eye color on your dragon, no frames to show glasses, no cowl, no face paint etc.. To many people, including me, there IS a difference.

And the small eyes part, that is because you wouldn't be able to get much variation in colors with small eyes, the smaller area you have to work with, the harder it is to make similar colors (such as light blue and white) visibly different. In other words, a Dragon with small eyes that are white, would look very close to a dragon with small eyes with a very light blue. And the one that talked about the small eyes, in case you missed it, was talking about patterned contact lenses. The small eyes of say my guardian would make patterns very difficult to actually do as it would be one or two pixels of one color, then you would need one or two pixels of another etc..

Edit: I also have to say that I would hope that the admins would consider lore for every decision they make about what items to make, what features to implement etc.. While a lot of people don't care about lore, the lore of the site is what makes the particular site unique (just as Neopet's lore makes it unique among pet sites etc..). If lore says one thing, then the admins shouldn't just decide to change that lore mid stream just because, or even worse, ignore said lore. That drives me up the wall when I am reading or playing something and halfway through, the author suddenly changes the rules because they want to do something, but they had previously said that it would never happen. Lore should remain consistent (and before anyone says it, I don't mean static, lore should be able to be expanded etc... but they shouldn't say something like the Arcanist is head of Arcane Flight, then decide that the Arcanist feels like taking over plague, things like that)

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
@Jemadar

I did say I supported the suggestion. I was rebutting the different arguments given for not allowing it at all.

Ie: the person who stated "It won't happen. The admins have said, many times, that they are not going to mess with eye colours. They just aren't. I know, that's a lame reason, but it's a reason. It's been asked. Answer's no." Which is clearly untrue for the boneyard tatter and cowl- even if their other attributes make it more visible. Then again there have been inconsistencies with what is said and what happens before so it could still be an issue.... (Id have to do some searching but I know there are approved accents floating around that cover/change eye colors)

Though the bit about the small eyes making it difficult to differentiate some colors is true and had not thought of it that way- the way it was stated made it sound like 'you cant see it anyway so who cares.' In order for it to work the colors offered would have to be wildly different than the elements here. Like, Id kill for some black-ish colored lenses for skeleton dergs and one of my eyeless fan dragons. And by patterned contacts Im assuming that means like, ones that have cat eye slits and stuff to them, or...? I dont really know what that means, i thought the discussion was just on color changing lenses.
@Jemadar

I did say I supported the suggestion. I was rebutting the different arguments given for not allowing it at all.

Ie: the person who stated "It won't happen. The admins have said, many times, that they are not going to mess with eye colours. They just aren't. I know, that's a lame reason, but it's a reason. It's been asked. Answer's no." Which is clearly untrue for the boneyard tatter and cowl- even if their other attributes make it more visible. Then again there have been inconsistencies with what is said and what happens before so it could still be an issue.... (Id have to do some searching but I know there are approved accents floating around that cover/change eye colors)

Though the bit about the small eyes making it difficult to differentiate some colors is true and had not thought of it that way- the way it was stated made it sound like 'you cant see it anyway so who cares.' In order for it to work the colors offered would have to be wildly different than the elements here. Like, Id kill for some black-ish colored lenses for skeleton dergs and one of my eyeless fan dragons. And by patterned contacts Im assuming that means like, ones that have cat eye slits and stuff to them, or...? I dont really know what that means, i thought the discussion was just on color changing lenses.
Candles, Pandas, Oh My! (A niche little hatchery)
@Arazamatazza

Yeah, I know you supported the suggestion, was just pointing out what I thought others meant (and what I meant)

As for the admins, sometimes they are vague on what they say, so it could be that they won't allow us to change the element, and thus change the eye color, or they might even have meant that they aren't going to give an item that solely changes the eye color or both. I will have to go see if I can find that quote. As for the accents, I don't think any accents actually change the color, the previews do, but I thought someone was saying that the eye is actually layered on top of all the other layers (except perhaps apparel) meaning that accents and skins cannot change the color, as the eye color is layered above those. I haven't actually looked, this is just what I have seen on various flight festival skin forums where people were talking about accents/skins that changed eye color being approved, and others saying that even if the skin itself changes the eye color it doesn't matter, the eye color of the dragon will replace eye color on the skin.

Yeah, that is my main concern for flight like colors and things like that, with the small eyes it would be very hard to tell the difference between some colors (it already can be for some flight colors)

As for the patterns, I don't know what the person who suggested them thought of, but I would assume that cat eyes, plaid, rainbow, maybe a star etc... would be considered, many of which would be difficult to do nicely for the smaller eyes (though the thought of a spiral baby with cat eyes.... I would love to have one) The pattern discussion is tied to the contact lenses because they would be contact lenses that change the color of the eyes, it would just be to a pattern instead of completely different color.
@Arazamatazza

Yeah, I know you supported the suggestion, was just pointing out what I thought others meant (and what I meant)

As for the admins, sometimes they are vague on what they say, so it could be that they won't allow us to change the element, and thus change the eye color, or they might even have meant that they aren't going to give an item that solely changes the eye color or both. I will have to go see if I can find that quote. As for the accents, I don't think any accents actually change the color, the previews do, but I thought someone was saying that the eye is actually layered on top of all the other layers (except perhaps apparel) meaning that accents and skins cannot change the color, as the eye color is layered above those. I haven't actually looked, this is just what I have seen on various flight festival skin forums where people were talking about accents/skins that changed eye color being approved, and others saying that even if the skin itself changes the eye color it doesn't matter, the eye color of the dragon will replace eye color on the skin.

Yeah, that is my main concern for flight like colors and things like that, with the small eyes it would be very hard to tell the difference between some colors (it already can be for some flight colors)

As for the patterns, I don't know what the person who suggested them thought of, but I would assume that cat eyes, plaid, rainbow, maybe a star etc... would be considered, many of which would be difficult to do nicely for the smaller eyes (though the thought of a spiral baby with cat eyes.... I would love to have one) The pattern discussion is tied to the contact lenses because they would be contact lenses that change the color of the eyes, it would just be to a pattern instead of completely different color.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png

14318365.png
Putting this in a new post: [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1327998/33]LInk[/url] [quote]Ok this might sound dumb, but, recent skins have been showing that you can change the number of eyes, and even the color, of a dragon's eyes. Can the same be applied for accents? Changing what the eye looks like, essentially? (not sure if it should go here, but it IS a q&a...)[/quote] [quote]With the way Flight Rising's image generation works, a dragon's eye color will always show over a skin or accent. So to answer your question: it doesn't really matter what colors or art are used in that area of the face, as the elemental eye color will always layer over it.[/quote] Still looking for the quote about changing eye colors, but stumbled across this one, so I thought I would post. And found the [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?board=frd&id=1199916&p=mb]other[/url] [quote]Will there ever be an option to change a dragon's eyecolor? Even skins - which have colored eyes in the preview and a layer for that in the PSD - don't do that. I understand why it's not "normally" possible, but not really why skins overlay everything but eye color. It's really annoying. Is that intended?[/quote] [quote]Thanks for the question! We don't have any current plans to allow changing a dragon's eye color, as it is the only visual representation of the dragon's elemental heritage. The lore explanation is that the dragon's inherent magical core is visible through its eyes. Because all dragons can wear skins and show genes that range the entire available spectrum, this detail allows dragons to still show the distinguishing mark of their element.[/quote] Whether there is a more recent post about dragons and eye color regarding this issue, I don't really know... but that is rather ambiguous so, they maybe have been talking about changing a dragons element
Putting this in a new post:

LInk
Quote:
Ok this might sound dumb, but, recent skins have been showing that you can change the number of eyes, and even the color, of a dragon's eyes. Can the same be applied for accents? Changing what the eye looks like, essentially?

(not sure if it should go here, but it IS a q&a...)
Quote:
With the way Flight Rising's image generation works, a dragon's eye color will always show over a skin or accent. So to answer your question: it doesn't really matter what colors or art are used in that area of the face, as the elemental eye color will always layer over it.

Still looking for the quote about changing eye colors, but stumbled across this one, so I thought I would post.

And found the other
Quote:
Will there ever be an option to change a dragon's eyecolor? Even skins - which have colored eyes in the preview and a layer for that in the PSD - don't do that. I understand why it's not "normally" possible, but not really why skins overlay everything but eye color. It's really annoying. Is that intended?
Quote:
Thanks for the question! We don't have any current plans to allow changing a dragon's eye color, as it is the only visual representation of the dragon's elemental heritage. The lore explanation is that the dragon's inherent magical core is visible through its eyes. Because all dragons can wear skins and show genes that range the entire available spectrum, this detail allows dragons to still show the distinguishing mark of their element.

Whether there is a more recent post about dragons and eye color regarding this issue, I don't really know... but that is rather ambiguous so, they maybe have been talking about changing a dragons element

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png

14318365.png
@Jemadar @Arazamatazza

Adding Colored contacts would not be messing with the eye color it would be adding apparel that would cover the eye color.

Personally I can agree with "no flight colors".

I would like to see things like perhaps patterns like Cats Eye, Marble, and perhaps Tiger Eye. There are plenty of eye patterns that would look really cool as colored contacts.

Since we are talking apparel, it takes the Lore out of the equation anyway. The eye color would still be the same underneath the apparel and would still indicate the element of the dragon.
@Jemadar @Arazamatazza

Adding Colored contacts would not be messing with the eye color it would be adding apparel that would cover the eye color.

Personally I can agree with "no flight colors".

I would like to see things like perhaps patterns like Cats Eye, Marble, and perhaps Tiger Eye. There are plenty of eye patterns that would look really cool as colored contacts.

Since we are talking apparel, it takes the Lore out of the equation anyway. The eye color would still be the same underneath the apparel and would still indicate the element of the dragon.
I'm not sure about this one. BUT, I do support there being specific apparel items that plays a roll in changing the eye color apparel like that already exists. why not make more? support. glowing eyes could be cool! but lame contact lenses aren't any fun. heres an example of the apparel that effects the eye color (wind dragon eyes) [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=7453251] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/74533/7453251_350.png[/img] [/url]
I'm not sure about this one. BUT, I do support there being specific apparel items that plays a roll in changing the eye color

apparel like that already exists. why not make more? support.
glowing eyes could be cool! but lame contact lenses aren't any fun.

heres an example of the apparel that effects the eye color (wind dragon eyes)

7453251_350.png

efohDtn.png
Support! If non-Flight colours are more plausible than Flight colours, that's fine, too. White, black, two-tone, or glowing contacts would be really cool! Contacts wouldn't change a dragon's element (and they'd be great for colour-matching or character dragons), and we already have Cowls and Boneyard Tatters, so I don't see much of an issue Lore-wise.

It'd be neat if they were a Baldwin item, I think (or maybe split between Baldwin and the Marketplace). :0 Maybe some of them could change pupil shape or look like gemstones?

Re:"It's pointless because most dragons have small eyes"-- I know everyone plays the game differently, but I will not buy a dragon if its eyes clash with its colours. :'u Tiny eyes are still visible; I don't want a smudge of Lightning blue on a Chocolate/Rust/Ivory dragon or bright Arcane dots on a Spring/Beige/Maize. There's a whole "Colour-Coordinating Eyes" group on the Share forums, so even if eyes aren't important to some people, they can make a huge difference for others.
Support! If non-Flight colours are more plausible than Flight colours, that's fine, too. White, black, two-tone, or glowing contacts would be really cool! Contacts wouldn't change a dragon's element (and they'd be great for colour-matching or character dragons), and we already have Cowls and Boneyard Tatters, so I don't see much of an issue Lore-wise.

It'd be neat if they were a Baldwin item, I think (or maybe split between Baldwin and the Marketplace). :0 Maybe some of them could change pupil shape or look like gemstones?

Re:"It's pointless because most dragons have small eyes"-- I know everyone plays the game differently, but I will not buy a dragon if its eyes clash with its colours. :'u Tiny eyes are still visible; I don't want a smudge of Lightning blue on a Chocolate/Rust/Ivory dragon or bright Arcane dots on a Spring/Beige/Maize. There's a whole "Colour-Coordinating Eyes" group on the Share forums, so even if eyes aren't important to some people, they can make a huge difference for others.
PB-logo-transparent1.png gem.png Ashes | F
gem.png +4h FR time
gem.png Feel free to ping me!
I certainly don't agree. Have you gotten a glimpse of the general eye size? What's the use of having apparel you can't see? It's not even worth bothering with.
I certainly don't agree. Have you gotten a glimpse of the general eye size? What's the use of having apparel you can't see? It's not even worth bothering with.
tumblr_inline_njviw7oGr71qg2i5p.png
@Iriya

Just because you wouldn't bother with it does not mean others wouldn't

Take the wing bangles for example. On some dragons they are not always easy to see.

Birdskull Necklaces also tend to blend in to certain breeds.

The Veteran Scars are another example.

We already have certain apparel that isn't very noticeable so if players wanted them it would be up to them.

Players will use what they like anyway, so if something were introduced like colored contacts there would be nothing wrong with it at all. It would be more visible on some dragons than others, but again it would be up to the individual if they wanted to use them.
@Iriya

Just because you wouldn't bother with it does not mean others wouldn't

Take the wing bangles for example. On some dragons they are not always easy to see.

Birdskull Necklaces also tend to blend in to certain breeds.

The Veteran Scars are another example.

We already have certain apparel that isn't very noticeable so if players wanted them it would be up to them.

Players will use what they like anyway, so if something were introduced like colored contacts there would be nothing wrong with it at all. It would be more visible on some dragons than others, but again it would be up to the individual if they wanted to use them.
no support and simply because the admins have already stated that they won't release items to change eye color (whether that be contacts to overlay existing color or scrolls to actually change the element).

to add: the admins have been saying this since 2013 and they're still saying it now. if they ever did come out with something different for eye colors, cool! but i highly doubt out.
no support and simply because the admins have already stated that they won't release items to change eye color (whether that be contacts to overlay existing color or scrolls to actually change the element).

to add: the admins have been saying this since 2013 and they're still saying it now. if they ever did come out with something different for eye colors, cool! but i highly doubt out.

HATCHERY
TUMBLR
cIwl6sK.png
kqIigD1.pngUOiauYX.png
kqIigD1.png
kqIigD1.png
Ypb4V1z.gif
IAM6LDQ.gif
1 2 3