Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Advertisement Solution
1 2 3 4 5 6
[quote name="Denri" date="2014-11-05 09:41:42"] @ettanin it's still something people with money can do that people without money can't. that's a thing. whether or not the thing is worth it doesn't matter. [/quote]@Denri You still can get gems without paying for them. You get one daily if your dragons are all well fed, people offer to trade gems for treasure which you can farm in the fairgrounds or get by selling items. And you can get free gems from treasure chests (not the rusty ones). Why I would expect that? There's a certain story and arts website (which starts with f and ends with y and has a .net domain ending) which allows commisions and is sustained by user-generated adverts. If it wouldn't work out for the commissioners, people wouldn't pay for ads. Also, Flight Rising is a site for creativity (in some sort of sense), and thus the demand would likely be there also.
Denri wrote on 2014-11-05 09:41:42:
@ettanin it's still something people with money can do that people without money can't. that's a thing. whether or not the thing is worth it doesn't matter.
@Denri You still can get gems without paying for them. You get one daily if your dragons are all well fed, people offer to trade gems for treasure which you can farm in the fairgrounds or get by selling items. And you can get free gems from treasure chests (not the rusty ones).

Why I would expect that? There's a certain story and arts website (which starts with f and ends with y and has a .net domain ending) which allows commisions and is sustained by user-generated adverts. If it wouldn't work out for the commissioners, people wouldn't pay for ads. Also, Flight Rising is a site for creativity (in some sort of sense), and thus the demand would likely be there also.
In pinging me I assume consent to be pinged back. This is because I disabled signature display (too many intrusive banners)
Solar stance time difference: +9 Hours FRT

My avatar
The only way I could possibly support this is if the amount of revenue made from this was greater than or equal to the revenue made from the ad system the site currently uses. And I highly doubt that would happen. The site needs money, it has shortcomings that need addressed, it needs to hire more staff, etc.

And you can't really blame Flight Rising for the bad ads that sneak in. I've seen the admin mention several times that they don't pick which ads are displayed. They can only react when these bad ads do pop up, and I commend them for that.
The only way I could possibly support this is if the amount of revenue made from this was greater than or equal to the revenue made from the ad system the site currently uses. And I highly doubt that would happen. The site needs money, it has shortcomings that need addressed, it needs to hire more staff, etc.

And you can't really blame Flight Rising for the bad ads that sneak in. I've seen the admin mention several times that they don't pick which ads are displayed. They can only react when these bad ads do pop up, and I commend them for that.
plaguebringer_banner_by_eyenoom-d6kkk4e.png
[quote name="Ettanin" date="2014-11-05 09:45:59"][quote name="Denri" date="2014-11-05 09:41:42"] @ettanin it's still something people with money can do that people without money can't. that's a thing. whether or not the thing is worth it doesn't matter. [/quote]@Denri You still can get gems without paying for them. You get one daily if your dragons are all well fed, people offer to trade gems for treasure which you can farm in the fairgrounds or get by selling items. And you can get free gems from treasure chests (not the rusty ones). Why I would expect that? There's a certain story and arts website (which starts with f and ends with y and has a .net domain ending) which allows commisions and is sustained by user-generated adverts. If it wouldn't work out for the commissioners, people wouldn't pay for ads. Also, Flight Rising is a site for creativity (in some sort of sense), and thus the demand would likely be there also.[/quote] @ettanin the amount of time it takes to get gems without paying real money is ludicrous. it frustrates me that gems are a real money currency, because yeah, that's... basically pay-to-win. and the admins said they don't want that. i don't think adding [i]more[/i] pay-to-win incentives is a good idea. FA has a much, much larger userbase than this website. it's not really a comparable situation. have you seen how hard it is to make [i]any[/i] money via commissions in flight rising? it's horrendous. there's no demand, no one will pay the kind of prices that are actually fair to artists. this is especially true because flight rising isn't entirely a creative website. the entire point of FA is art, but here you don't have to be creative to play. a lot of people aren't. the demand just isn't going to be high enough to support this.
Ettanin wrote on 2014-11-05 09:45:59:
Denri wrote on 2014-11-05 09:41:42:
@ettanin it's still something people with money can do that people without money can't. that's a thing. whether or not the thing is worth it doesn't matter.
@Denri You still can get gems without paying for them. You get one daily if your dragons are all well fed, people offer to trade gems for treasure which you can farm in the fairgrounds or get by selling items. And you can get free gems from treasure chests (not the rusty ones).

Why I would expect that? There's a certain story and arts website (which starts with f and ends with y and has a .net domain ending) which allows commisions and is sustained by user-generated adverts. If it wouldn't work out for the commissioners, people wouldn't pay for ads. Also, Flight Rising is a site for creativity (in some sort of sense), and thus the demand would likely be there also.

@ettanin
the amount of time it takes to get gems without paying real money is ludicrous.
it frustrates me that gems are a real money currency, because yeah, that's... basically pay-to-win. and the admins said they don't want that. i don't think adding more pay-to-win incentives is a good idea.

FA has a much, much larger userbase than this website. it's not really a comparable situation. have you seen how hard it is to make any money via commissions in flight rising? it's horrendous. there's no demand, no one will pay the kind of prices that are actually fair to artists. this is especially true because flight rising isn't entirely a creative website. the entire point of FA is art, but here you don't have to be creative to play. a lot of people aren't. the demand just isn't going to be high enough to support this.
J1Hn7rK.png
No support. It would make things enormously more complicated for the admins, mean the creation of another paid position if they didn't take up the workload themselves, and I doubt they'd be paid as much for the ads, regardless of how cute an idea it would be to have in-site ads.

Not to mention that once gems are on the site, they wouldn't even be getting paid for the ads, at all, if you went with the 'pay with gems' idea. They'd effectively have to stop giving gems on the site at all for it to be feasible.
No support. It would make things enormously more complicated for the admins, mean the creation of another paid position if they didn't take up the workload themselves, and I doubt they'd be paid as much for the ads, regardless of how cute an idea it would be to have in-site ads.

Not to mention that once gems are on the site, they wouldn't even be getting paid for the ads, at all, if you went with the 'pay with gems' idea. They'd effectively have to stop giving gems on the site at all for it to be feasible.
fbwGP.png
No support.
  • FR's userbase is too small for it to work. If it was assumed that everyone paid real money for ads, this might do; however, I am sure the players willing to advertize themselves would end up a minority. (Also, this would affect gem sales. A large portion of the people willing to pay real money would end up choosing between buying gems and buying ad space, as most people have a limited income.)
  • FR has occasional drama and arguments, both within and outside the site's boundaries. If the worst was to happen, you'd end up with some people making ads just to spite eachother - or just to stir up drama. (And, as the submitted ads would probably be checked, things like this would take up some poor moderator's time at the very least.)
  • Speaking of mods - you would probably need to hire someone to check the ads and do all the other related work. You couldn't really hire someone for FR currency (nor for free) ; a) too big a workload and b) making sure you don't end up with someone who would let their friends' ads slip through.

Also agreeing with some of @Denri 's points.

I do think this idea has a good core to it... And it might work okay, too, if the userbase was larger. But for now? No, I don't think this would be beneficial.
No support.
  • FR's userbase is too small for it to work. If it was assumed that everyone paid real money for ads, this might do; however, I am sure the players willing to advertize themselves would end up a minority. (Also, this would affect gem sales. A large portion of the people willing to pay real money would end up choosing between buying gems and buying ad space, as most people have a limited income.)
  • FR has occasional drama and arguments, both within and outside the site's boundaries. If the worst was to happen, you'd end up with some people making ads just to spite eachother - or just to stir up drama. (And, as the submitted ads would probably be checked, things like this would take up some poor moderator's time at the very least.)
  • Speaking of mods - you would probably need to hire someone to check the ads and do all the other related work. You couldn't really hire someone for FR currency (nor for free) ; a) too big a workload and b) making sure you don't end up with someone who would let their friends' ads slip through.

Also agreeing with some of @Denri 's points.

I do think this idea has a good core to it... And it might work okay, too, if the userbase was larger. But for now? No, I don't think this would be beneficial.
I miss pings - DMs work better. Semi-hiatus.
No support.

The problem isn't third-party ads on the whole, it's whatever Flight Rising's third-party provider is. This sounds like they need to go with a better provider. There are a lot of ad providers out there that are more than a little sketchy and don't screen their content particularly well, and that seems to have been the case here.

Changing to player ads would be a lot more complicated than simply changing ad providers.
No support.

The problem isn't third-party ads on the whole, it's whatever Flight Rising's third-party provider is. This sounds like they need to go with a better provider. There are a lot of ad providers out there that are more than a little sketchy and don't screen their content particularly well, and that seems to have been the case here.

Changing to player ads would be a lot more complicated than simply changing ad providers.
No support. Like Bellsprout said, the issue isn't with the ads, it's with the third-party provider FR has currently. What FR needs to do is find a better provider, not completely rework how they do ads.
No support. Like Bellsprout said, the issue isn't with the ads, it's with the third-party provider FR has currently. What FR needs to do is find a better provider, not completely rework how they do ads.
Support.
Support.
kpBHZdf.gif lIfS9Um.png DQCsQbQ.gif
I like the idea of using Project Wonderful. I have never once clicked an ad on FR (...does anyone use imvu???) but I actually follow links from Project Wonderful pretty frequently. Also Ryan North.
I like the idea of using Project Wonderful. I have never once clicked an ad on FR (...does anyone use imvu???) but I actually follow links from Project Wonderful pretty frequently. Also Ryan North.
1 2 3 4 5 6