Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | "Sex" not "Gender"
1 2 ... 35 36 37 38 39 ... 46 47
I don't support it because of the dual meaning with intercourse. Seeing "sex" would make me uncomfortable. So I can make the exact same reverse argument; why would you want things to say "sex" when some users are more comfortable with "gender"? Why would you purposefully want to make other users uncomfortable?

That said, there was a compromise solution pages back I support the most. The compromise was just don't use either. Just keep it "M/F."
I don't support it because of the dual meaning with intercourse. Seeing "sex" would make me uncomfortable. So I can make the exact same reverse argument; why would you want things to say "sex" when some users are more comfortable with "gender"? Why would you purposefully want to make other users uncomfortable?

That said, there was a compromise solution pages back I support the most. The compromise was just don't use either. Just keep it "M/F."
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
I support this change. Saying gender when you mean physical sex is not only wrong, it's disrespectful towards people who don't fit into the gender binary. I myself am asexual, and prefer not to hear or see sex-related talk, but I think using the word "sex" to refer to someone's physical configuration is fine.
I support this change. Saying gender when you mean physical sex is not only wrong, it's disrespectful towards people who don't fit into the gender binary. I myself am asexual, and prefer not to hear or see sex-related talk, but I think using the word "sex" to refer to someone's physical configuration is fine.
Nothing is more irritating to me than the misinterpretation and/or misuse of these specific words. I support this minor, grammatical change.
Nothing is more irritating to me than the misinterpretation and/or misuse of these specific words. I support this minor, grammatical change.
b33911.png
Forum signature by Encore.
Support for all of the reasoning in this thread.
Support for all of the reasoning in this thread.
WkCEhwX.png
EiPW4qT.png
gTTW2gA.png
WKtl2lb.png
flight rising really do be like that sometimes
pls ping me i'm totally cool with talking
message me ur sapphic dragons
[quote name="gemajgall" date="2014-06-11 15:25:24"]I don't support it because of the dual meaning with intercourse. Seeing "sex" would make me uncomfortable. So I can make the exact same reverse argument; why would you want things to say "sex" when some users are more comfortable with "gender"? Why would you purposefully want to make other users uncomfortable? That said, there was a compromise solution pages back I support the most. The compromise was just don't use either. Just keep it "M/F."[/quote] ^
gemajgall wrote on 2014-06-11 15:25:24:

^
yAEXdRe.png
Definately my support on this too :)!
Definately my support on this too :)!
@AMADEUS but what if all the dragons just happen to identify as what their gender is saying they are ? Then it is correct by that logic, is it not ? And since we can't really ask them whether or not that's the case, we can't really say for sure if it is or isn't.

To me personally, this is just one of those things that I too, don't really get how could bother anyone. It's a word. It's not even directed at you, or anyone in particular. Just the dragon.

But really, if it bothers so many people, I could go with it. Doesn't matter to me much. Just leave in the option to pick, since there's also people that would be bothered by having "sex" there instead (harh harh), as shown above.
@AMADEUS but what if all the dragons just happen to identify as what their gender is saying they are ? Then it is correct by that logic, is it not ? And since we can't really ask them whether or not that's the case, we can't really say for sure if it is or isn't.

To me personally, this is just one of those things that I too, don't really get how could bother anyone. It's a word. It's not even directed at you, or anyone in particular. Just the dragon.

But really, if it bothers so many people, I could go with it. Doesn't matter to me much. Just leave in the option to pick, since there's also people that would be bothered by having "sex" there instead (harh harh), as shown above.
@ghooostie - If one can't say for sure whether every dragon is or isn't as it's impossible to prove, obviously, then FR should use the correct vernacular by using "sex" instead of "gender". Just because you don't see how it could bother anyone doesn't mean that it shouldn't or makes the current terms any less incorrect.
@ghooostie - If one can't say for sure whether every dragon is or isn't as it's impossible to prove, obviously, then FR should use the correct vernacular by using "sex" instead of "gender". Just because you don't see how it could bother anyone doesn't mean that it shouldn't or makes the current terms any less incorrect.
Tumblr ! | Accent Thread ! | Fatties !
@AMADEUS that's why I added that last bit. It doesn't bother me personally, but if it bothers others, then sure. Just make it an optional feature
@AMADEUS that's why I added that last bit. It doesn't bother me personally, but if it bothers others, then sure. Just make it an optional feature
I support this, but I'm not sure why it's an issue?

I understand that the distinctions need be made, but in this instance I don't think it needs to be. The dragons on this site are largely for breeding and arguably only for breeding. Whether or not it is listed as 'Sex' or 'Gender' doesn't change anything, which is why I do support it, but I can't help but feel that it is just being brought up because of issues on other websites.
I support this, but I'm not sure why it's an issue?

I understand that the distinctions need be made, but in this instance I don't think it needs to be. The dragons on this site are largely for breeding and arguably only for breeding. Whether or not it is listed as 'Sex' or 'Gender' doesn't change anything, which is why I do support it, but I can't help but feel that it is just being brought up because of issues on other websites.
1 2 ... 35 36 37 38 39 ... 46 47