Back

Roleplay

Tell stories and roleplay in the world of Flight Rising.
TOPIC | A Brief Guide to Roleplay Etiquette
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Thanks, I needed this!
Thanks, I needed this!
many places I have been, many sorrows I have seen, but I don't regret, nor will I forget, those who took that road with me
I'm definitely not a noobie when it comes to roleplaying, but on the same topic...

Is it technically wrong to use Fandom characters? I've heard a lot of people complain about how it's wrong and that it's copyright infringement, at least in other places. A lot of my OCs aren't really RP-ready yet, so I mainly stick to playing as characters I like. But since they aren't mine...

I never say that they belong to me, and I state where they're from. I also like to use concept art or renders for these characters too. It helps me and others visualize them better. I don't really have the time to draw full on fanart of characters too, if I have to.

I'm pretty sure that I don't need to go calling someone and get an expensive licence to pretend to be a character on a forum, right? Especially for concept art or in-game art that's not that as easy as a simple PM to get permission to use for.
I'm definitely not a noobie when it comes to roleplaying, but on the same topic...

Is it technically wrong to use Fandom characters? I've heard a lot of people complain about how it's wrong and that it's copyright infringement, at least in other places. A lot of my OCs aren't really RP-ready yet, so I mainly stick to playing as characters I like. But since they aren't mine...

I never say that they belong to me, and I state where they're from. I also like to use concept art or renders for these characters too. It helps me and others visualize them better. I don't really have the time to draw full on fanart of characters too, if I have to.

I'm pretty sure that I don't need to go calling someone and get an expensive licence to pretend to be a character on a forum, right? Especially for concept art or in-game art that's not that as easy as a simple PM to get permission to use for.
40d328c43be268b5d074dbc874b8ba24.jpg
@Dingasoid (I know it's kinda old but I hope you don't mind getting a reply!)

If you mean fandom characters as in; inspired and made to fit in the world of a franchise you love. Has anyone seen lawsuits of characters "crossing the line"? There was an app where yoshi was used in, lawsuit came, the only few changes that were made was making yoshi red and giving it a blue baseball cap. Then it was legally approved, and of course, taking out all mentions and tags of Nintendo, Mario, Yoshi, etc. You're fine! And most franchises actually won't care, unless you become a bigshot and try to profit. And then still, the changes are likely need to be minimal to avoid copyright infringement, whole discussion we could have about that. But you're not gonna get sued over a silly old RP on the internet! Most companies welcome fan creation and support it, it's free advertisement!

If you mean fandom characters as in; RPing the character from Canon. As an example, Spider-Man. No, not wrong at all! But I'll admit, there'll be some real blurry lines. For big franchises, at least 30+ people have written for that character legally. Legally, not allowed for you to write about them, but realistically, no one minds it. If something back in your head feels anxious or disrespectful, so many different people have written for that character. You've got your own special view of them you should be allowed to write! It doesn't really belong to anyone but a faceless company, so many people have written for that character, you're not offending anyone with it.
Though with indie projects, it doesn't hurt to ask if the creator is fine with what you're doing. Like Stardew Valley, mostly made by one dude, but he has said many times he's fine with all the creative works people made. But someone on a much smaller scale may not be comfortable with that, the owner of that character hasn't become ambiguous like many pop-charas.

(And honestly, most people don't even credit their sources of franchise media they use, so it's cool enough you already do! And it's cool of ya to not take fanart without permission and credit, I've seen that enough, as an artist, makes me uncomfortable. And what you do isn't making me uncomfortable if that brings you any peace)

Main point I wanna make, nothing is wrong with innocent fun! So enjoy yourself, you ain't hurting anyone! You're not the first doing this, and you won't be the last.
So don't worry. Also copyright law, especially USA, is very outdated by 200 to 300 years and doesn't really apply to online shenanigans. Especially if you're not making money off it or trying to deceive people in anyway with it. So, have fun!
@Dingasoid (I know it's kinda old but I hope you don't mind getting a reply!)

If you mean fandom characters as in; inspired and made to fit in the world of a franchise you love. Has anyone seen lawsuits of characters "crossing the line"? There was an app where yoshi was used in, lawsuit came, the only few changes that were made was making yoshi red and giving it a blue baseball cap. Then it was legally approved, and of course, taking out all mentions and tags of Nintendo, Mario, Yoshi, etc. You're fine! And most franchises actually won't care, unless you become a bigshot and try to profit. And then still, the changes are likely need to be minimal to avoid copyright infringement, whole discussion we could have about that. But you're not gonna get sued over a silly old RP on the internet! Most companies welcome fan creation and support it, it's free advertisement!

If you mean fandom characters as in; RPing the character from Canon. As an example, Spider-Man. No, not wrong at all! But I'll admit, there'll be some real blurry lines. For big franchises, at least 30+ people have written for that character legally. Legally, not allowed for you to write about them, but realistically, no one minds it. If something back in your head feels anxious or disrespectful, so many different people have written for that character. You've got your own special view of them you should be allowed to write! It doesn't really belong to anyone but a faceless company, so many people have written for that character, you're not offending anyone with it.
Though with indie projects, it doesn't hurt to ask if the creator is fine with what you're doing. Like Stardew Valley, mostly made by one dude, but he has said many times he's fine with all the creative works people made. But someone on a much smaller scale may not be comfortable with that, the owner of that character hasn't become ambiguous like many pop-charas.

(And honestly, most people don't even credit their sources of franchise media they use, so it's cool enough you already do! And it's cool of ya to not take fanart without permission and credit, I've seen that enough, as an artist, makes me uncomfortable. And what you do isn't making me uncomfortable if that brings you any peace)

Main point I wanna make, nothing is wrong with innocent fun! So enjoy yourself, you ain't hurting anyone! You're not the first doing this, and you won't be the last.
So don't worry. Also copyright law, especially USA, is very outdated by 200 to 300 years and doesn't really apply to online shenanigans. Especially if you're not making money off it or trying to deceive people in anyway with it. So, have fun!
7tMTPYA.png
>Pings/comments ok, don't DM w/o asking
>Haggle friendly unless stated otherwise
>Feel free to ask questions!
@PreferablyAlone Oh uh- looks like I got a reply! I remember feeling a little down that day, I kind of forgot about the post after a bit lol. Hey, thanks for replying- makes me feel a little better on the topic. I think if "FR and OC only" was the case for the RP section, then most of the threads would have been sniped much earlier. Anyways, I hope you have a good day! [emoji=skydancer happy size=1]
@PreferablyAlone

Oh uh- looks like I got a reply!

I remember feeling a little down that day, I kind of forgot about the post after a bit lol. Hey, thanks for replying- makes me feel a little better on the topic.

I think if "FR and OC only" was the case for the RP section, then most of the threads would have been sniped much earlier.

Anyways, I hope you have a good day!
40d328c43be268b5d074dbc874b8ba24.jpg
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12