Back

Raffles & Giveaways

Share your raffles and giveaways with the Flight Rising community.
TOPIC | Writer's Rescue: Lore Galore!
1 2 ... 39 40 41 42 43 ... 706 707
@onemessyperson added!
@onemessyperson added!
@mermaidlorelei so uh...I got a bit carried away. this ended up being 522 words. and it's kind of super sad. I shouldn't write at two in the morning lol [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=47190663] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/471907/47190663_350.png[/img] [/url] He used to be one with Nature. He used to revel in the jubilant life blooming all around him. He used to love nothing more than the simple smell of flowers and rain on the earth. Talin was pink and green, the color of roses and leaves, back when he was young. He glimmered with stars that shone like tiny pearls. His eyes were the only thing others found unsettling about him. They burned a hypnotizing burnt-blood red. When he was still in his egg, not yet two days old, a Plague Guardian crept into a Nature nest in the haze of a quiet afternoon and stole an egg, leaving Talin's in its place. No one knew the reason for this switch, but Talin was grateful. His nest parents, both small bright Fae, kept him and loved him as their own, never making him feel guilt or shame, and he grew strong, shedding his infantile Plague appearance and turning into a loving Nature dragon. And then, early one morning, a Fae dragon his age entered the Viridian Labyrinth. She demanded to see the young Guardian with crimson eyes. Years in the Scarred Wasteland had turned the stolen Fae hatchling's bones strong from repeated breaking and broiled her delicate lily-colored scales into a dull smoke grey. But her eyes still shone with their natural vibrant green. "You," she said, approaching Talin. "I am Dust. I was supposed to be Juniper, or Lily, or Moonflower. You stole my life from me. My home. My family." Talin, in shock, said not a word. "You're going to give it back," Dust continued calmly. And he did. When he saw the years of grief vanish from his parents' faces, Talin knew he wouldn't dare plunge them back into that darkness by making the Fae leave. And so, Talin of Plague and Earth told them that he was to go and find his egg parents, to bring them the same joy Dust had brought hers. But as he crossed the border into the Scarred Wasteland, thoughts began to rip at the corners of his mind, thoughts he didn't want. [i]They abandoned me. Why would they want to see me? I only did this so I could get away for a bit. Father and mother are probably so relieved to see their egg daughter. She could be my sister, but she's clearly angry at me...and she might even make my mother and father angry at me...[/i] Talin's one and only fear was anger. He simply couldn't handle the thought of his beloved nest parents looking upon him with disgust and loathing in their soft green eyes. The fear boiled away in him as he wandered aimlessly through the Wasteland until his radiant flower-colored scales dimmed to a stagnant brown and a moldy shade of green. His stars faded one by one. [i]This must be my true self,[/i] thought Talin in disappointment. He could go no further then, and he rose into the sky, and he flew east. If anywhere would make him feel better, it would be that little Arcane clan full of storytellers he'd heard about.
@mermaidlorelei

so uh...I got a bit carried away. this ended up being 522 words. and it's kind of super sad. I shouldn't write at two in the morning lol

47190663_350.png

He used to be one with Nature.

He used to revel in the jubilant life blooming all around him.

He used to love nothing more than the simple smell of flowers and rain on the earth.

Talin was pink and green, the color of roses and leaves, back when he was young. He glimmered with stars that shone like tiny pearls. His eyes were the only thing others found unsettling about him. They burned a hypnotizing burnt-blood red. When he was still in his egg, not yet two days old, a Plague Guardian crept into a Nature nest in the haze of a quiet afternoon and stole an egg, leaving Talin's in its place. No one knew the reason for this switch, but Talin was grateful. His nest parents, both small bright Fae, kept him and loved him as their own, never making him feel guilt or shame, and he grew strong, shedding his infantile Plague appearance and turning into a loving Nature dragon.

And then, early one morning, a Fae dragon his age entered the Viridian Labyrinth. She demanded to see the young Guardian with crimson eyes.

Years in the Scarred Wasteland had turned the stolen Fae hatchling's bones strong from repeated breaking and broiled her delicate lily-colored scales into a dull smoke grey. But her eyes still shone with their natural vibrant green.

"You," she said, approaching Talin. "I am Dust. I was supposed to be Juniper, or Lily, or Moonflower. You stole my life from me. My home. My family." Talin, in shock, said not a word.

"You're going to give it back," Dust continued calmly.

And he did.

When he saw the years of grief vanish from his parents' faces, Talin knew he wouldn't dare plunge them back into that darkness by making the Fae leave. And so, Talin of Plague and Earth told them that he was to go and find his egg parents, to bring them the same joy Dust had brought hers. But as he crossed the border into the Scarred Wasteland, thoughts began to rip at the corners of his mind, thoughts he didn't want. They abandoned me. Why would they want to see me? I only did this so I could get away for a bit. Father and mother are probably so relieved to see their egg daughter. She could be my sister, but she's clearly angry at me...and she might even make my mother and father angry at me...

Talin's one and only fear was anger. He simply couldn't handle the thought of his beloved nest parents looking upon him with disgust and loathing in their soft green eyes. The fear boiled away in him as he wandered aimlessly through the Wasteland until his radiant flower-colored scales dimmed to a stagnant brown and a moldy shade of green. His stars faded one by one. This must be my true self, thought Talin in disappointment. He could go no further then, and he rose into the sky, and he flew east.

If anywhere would make him feel better, it would be that little Arcane clan full of storytellers he'd heard about.
QFXpYkj.png
@Decaffeinated enter me pls
@Decaffeinated enter me pls
Hi peeps...

bHeX9bv.png

giphy.gif

nZJa3n3.png
http://i.imgur.com/Wsu677T.png
@mermaidlorelei
I'm about to go to sleep, so I apologize if you send Talin and I don't pick him up right away.
@mermaidlorelei
I'm about to go to sleep, so I apologize if you send Talin and I don't pick him up right away.
QFXpYkj.png
@MermaidLorelei I hope this works. If it doesn't, let me know and I'll write something else. I enjoy writing but I haven't done much on FR. The handful of lore I've written was on Coli teams I raffled off for the Gene Pool bank I run. This is still a WIP because I almost always find places where I repeat myself, have a run on sentence or [i]something[/i] has to be fixed. Sorry about the text wall. What is short? [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=48576017] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/485761/48576017_350.png[/img] [/url] [quote]The Mayura is a sacred bird, created from the feathers of the demi-god Garuda, who killed the serpent controlling the cycle of time. What sort of role does this Mayura fill?[/quote] “Guttural chanting throbbed through the dimly lit cavern. The orange fire which bled across the rough, volcanic walls began to flicker, altering into a malevolent red. It fell across the links of giant chains embedded into one wall. Fire hissed in concert with the undulating bodies of serthis as they circled a massive crater brimming with boiling water. As coils clenched and glistened with powerful muscles, their deft fingers uncorked potion beakers. One by one, they ritualistically poured viscous, foul smelling concoctions into the water, never breaking the ominous rhythm of their low voices. Globs of liquid splattered over a limp, coiled body of a colossal hydra. It’s eyes were dim, exhausted slits. If it wasn’t for slow heaving sides and the odd bubble from a submerged nostril, the monster might have been mistaken for dead. The Serthis’ chanting rose to a crescendo as their bottles were emptied and potions instantly absorbed through the hydra’s tough scales. Imbibed oices wound through the air like living tendrils and sparked the potion into life. It flared sickly crimson and the hydra’s eyes snapped open with dilated pupils. Rearing back its many heads, some of its jaws opened in a baleful hiss and its sinuous body began to push itself clear of the crater. Serthis immediately slithered forward. Working in pairs, they sought to clamp massive collars imbued with arcane symbols around the many necks of their creation. Glyphs glowed as they drove the pins home around one collar and the heavy chain bound the hydra to the wall. The beastmen secured a second and third with lightning dexterity and purpose before the hydra’s eyes cleared with dawning intelligence. Chaotic screeches of pain replaced the chant as serthis failed their ritual in such a way that none lived to ever repeat their mistakes. What remained of them was ground to dust beneath the heavy body of the hydra as it snapped its chains, escaped the ritual chamber and began to tunnel through the skin of the world. The demented abomination rose as a plague upon both life and time itself. In their mad hubris and desire to create a foe worthy of any Guardian dragon, the serthis unleashed something to make even the gods shudder. The many headed serpent had been granted the power to control the cycle of time. Within days of its escape, the seasons began to cycle too quickly. Plants no longer had time to grow before frost withered their leaves. The beasts which dragonkind relied on to feed their clans scorched in summer sun when it should have been the birthing time or shriveled from hunger when the plants became scarce. Verdent fields became wastelands and floods crashed over unsuspecting Earth lairs. The Windswept Plateau wasn’t exempt from the creature’s curse, and it was one of Windsinger’s first children who stood up in battle against it. Garuda was unlike dragonkind as it would come to be known. His body was long and serpentine like Windsinger, but favored with feathers and wings. In the Wind diety’s love of color, Garuda’s voluminous plumage was painted in bright, colorful bands to mimic a rainbow. Magestic, wise and fierce, Garuda knew the hydra abomination must be stopped before its tampering destroyed all life. Feathered serpent locked talon, tooth, magic and might with the serthis monster. Such a battle had not been seen since the skirmishes between Tidelord and Windsinger themselves. Mountains quaked and rivers were diverted as the very moon was eclipsed. It was in that shadow that mingled draconic and magical hydra blood gave birth to Sköll and Hati. For this, the twin wolves hated him. They were unable to alter the course of time, but they would seek to devour the sun and moon evermore. After forty one days, Garuda was mortally wounded, but not before the hydra was slain. Time and seasons were balanced again almost immediately, but Garuda’s heart was heavy in spite of victory. The feathered serpent had no mate or hatchlings. There would be no one to carry his legacy in either tale or bloodline. With the last of his dwindling magic, he plucked two feathers from his grand plumage. A blue one floated on the breeze, lifted by one of Windsinger’s gusts before it gently came to the earth. Garuda’s failing breath enchanted the feather. It shined bright as the reflection of the sun on a still pond and turned into an egg. From it hatched one of Windsinger’s chosen children. On her wings were the markings of an eclipse. She would grow to be lithe and long limbed grace rather than the feathered coils of her predecessor, but Garuda was well pleased. The second feather was yellow, and Garuda transferred his memories to it so the story of his battle might never be lost. In the moments before he died, Garuda gave his child a name. She would be called Mayura, and she would be tasked to remember. There would never be another rainbow serpent like her father, and only through memory and history would he continue to live.” The Pearlcatcher tightened his tail reflexively around his pearl as he sat on his haunches. Mayura blinked blue eyes up at him as something glittered between his claws. A golden chain with a small, ancient hourglass tumbled in front of her nose for a moment. The elder dragon smiled down at her, then slipped the necklace over her head. “Every generation one Skydancer is born during the week of the shadowed sun. She bears the Mayura's markings and is named after her. The story is given to her so she can carry it and Garuda’s sacrifice is never forgotten. This necklace was worn by the last Mayura, the one before that, and all the way back to the first. It is a symbol of your legacy and will remind you.” It was curious the hatchling was one of the Tidelord’s, considering how he and Windsinger clashed in the distant past. Perhaps she was a sign of things to come in other ways beside the legend of her namesake. With the Beastclans on the rise, Tidelord missing and so many other catastrophic things happening across the realms, her her timely birth could mean more than becoming a mere traveling storyteller. “Windsinger and Tidelord are sure to expect great things from you, Youngling.” Mayura had no pearl to record her memories, but she nodded solemnly. She would never forget. Outfit: [outfit=678695] In case anyone catches this and wonders - The Rainbow Serpent and Feathered Serpent are from completely different folklore, legend and traditions in the real world. I knew that when writing this, but it's Sornieth. I took some liberties.
@MermaidLorelei

I hope this works. If it doesn't, let me know and I'll write something else. I enjoy writing but I haven't done much on FR. The handful of lore I've written was on Coli teams I raffled off for the Gene Pool bank I run.

This is still a WIP because I almost always find places where I repeat myself, have a run on sentence or something has to be fixed.

Sorry about the text wall. What is short?

48576017_350.png

Quote:
The Mayura is a sacred bird, created from the feathers of the demi-god Garuda, who killed the serpent controlling the cycle of time. What sort of role does this Mayura fill?

“Guttural chanting throbbed through the dimly lit cavern. The orange fire which bled across the rough, volcanic walls began to flicker, altering into a malevolent red. It fell across the links of giant chains embedded into one wall. Fire hissed in concert with the undulating bodies of serthis as they circled a massive crater brimming with boiling water.

As coils clenched and glistened with powerful muscles, their deft fingers uncorked potion beakers. One by one, they ritualistically poured viscous, foul smelling concoctions into the water, never breaking the ominous rhythm of their low voices. Globs of liquid splattered over a limp, coiled body of a colossal hydra. It’s eyes were dim, exhausted slits. If it wasn’t for slow heaving sides and the odd bubble from a submerged nostril, the monster might have been mistaken for dead.

The Serthis’ chanting rose to a crescendo as their bottles were emptied and potions instantly absorbed through the hydra’s tough scales. Imbibed oices wound through the air like living tendrils and sparked the potion into life. It flared sickly crimson and the hydra’s eyes snapped open with dilated pupils. Rearing back its many heads, some of its jaws opened in a baleful hiss and its sinuous body began to push itself clear of the crater.

Serthis immediately slithered forward. Working in pairs, they sought to clamp massive collars imbued with arcane symbols around the many necks of their creation. Glyphs glowed as they drove the pins home around one collar and the heavy chain bound the hydra to the wall. The beastmen secured a second and third with lightning dexterity and purpose before the hydra’s eyes cleared with dawning intelligence.

Chaotic screeches of pain replaced the chant as serthis failed their ritual in such a way that none lived to ever repeat their mistakes. What remained of them was ground to dust beneath the heavy body of the hydra as it snapped its chains, escaped the ritual chamber and began to tunnel through the skin of the world.

The demented abomination rose as a plague upon both life and time itself. In their mad hubris and desire to create a foe worthy of any Guardian dragon, the serthis unleashed something to make even the gods shudder. The many headed serpent had been granted the power to control the cycle of time. Within days of its escape, the seasons began to cycle too quickly. Plants no longer had time to grow before frost withered their leaves. The beasts which dragonkind relied on to feed their clans scorched in summer sun when it should have been the birthing time or shriveled from hunger when the plants became scarce. Verdent fields became wastelands and floods crashed over unsuspecting Earth lairs.

The Windswept Plateau wasn’t exempt from the creature’s curse, and it was one of Windsinger’s first children who stood up in battle against it. Garuda was unlike dragonkind as it would come to be known. His body was long and serpentine like Windsinger, but favored with feathers and wings. In the Wind diety’s love of color, Garuda’s voluminous plumage was painted in bright, colorful bands to mimic a rainbow.

Magestic, wise and fierce, Garuda knew the hydra abomination must be stopped before its tampering destroyed all life. Feathered serpent locked talon, tooth, magic and might with the serthis monster. Such a battle had not been seen since the skirmishes between Tidelord and Windsinger themselves. Mountains quaked and rivers were diverted as the very moon was eclipsed. It was in that shadow that mingled draconic and magical hydra blood gave birth to Sköll and Hati. For this, the twin wolves hated him. They were unable to alter the course of time, but they would seek to devour the sun and moon evermore.

After forty one days, Garuda was mortally wounded, but not before the hydra was slain. Time and seasons were balanced again almost immediately, but Garuda’s heart was heavy in spite of victory. The feathered serpent had no mate or hatchlings. There would be no one to carry his legacy in either tale or bloodline. With the last of his dwindling magic, he plucked two feathers from his grand plumage. A blue one floated on the breeze, lifted by one of Windsinger’s gusts before it gently came to the earth. Garuda’s failing breath enchanted the feather. It shined bright as the reflection of the sun on a still pond and turned into an egg. From it hatched one of Windsinger’s chosen children. On her wings were the markings of an eclipse. She would grow to be lithe and long limbed grace rather than the feathered coils of her predecessor, but Garuda was well pleased.

The second feather was yellow, and Garuda transferred his memories to it so the story of his battle might never be lost. In the moments before he died, Garuda gave his child a name. She would be called Mayura, and she would be tasked to remember. There would never be another rainbow serpent like her father, and only through memory and history would he continue to live.”

The Pearlcatcher tightened his tail reflexively around his pearl as he sat on his haunches. Mayura blinked blue eyes up at him as something glittered between his claws. A golden chain with a small, ancient hourglass tumbled in front of her nose for a moment. The elder dragon smiled down at her, then slipped the necklace over her head. “Every generation one Skydancer is born during the week of the shadowed sun. She bears the Mayura's markings and is named after her. The story is given to her so she can carry it and Garuda’s sacrifice is never forgotten. This necklace was worn by the last Mayura, the one before that, and all the way back to the first. It is a symbol of your legacy and will remind you.” It was curious the hatchling was one of the Tidelord’s, considering how he and Windsinger clashed in the distant past. Perhaps she was a sign of things to come in other ways beside the legend of her namesake. With the Beastclans on the rise, Tidelord missing and so many other catastrophic things happening across the realms, her her timely birth could mean more than becoming a mere traveling storyteller. “Windsinger and Tidelord are sure to expect great things from you, Youngling.”

Mayura had no pearl to record her memories, but she nodded solemnly. She would never forget.

Outfit:

Not Found

In case anyone catches this and wonders - The Rainbow Serpent and Feathered Serpent are from completely different folklore, legend and traditions in the real world. I knew that when writing this, but it's Sornieth. I took some liberties.
@Decaffeinated

I'd like to be entered for the quick raffle, please (if I can, I mean - do quick raffles count against the number of adoptions per week? I've never been quick enough to enter before)
@Decaffeinated

I'd like to be entered for the quick raffle, please (if I can, I mean - do quick raffles count against the number of adoptions per week? I've never been quick enough to enter before)
tLqgaTW.png
@Decaffeinated psst... is the quick raffle still open and if it is may i pls enter
@Decaffeinated psst... is the quick raffle still open and if it is may i pls enter
banner_grimm.png
@mermaidlorelei Writing for my lil Nocturne boy, Abraxos (: Decided to leave it as a bit of a mystery..

Abraxos flew threw the night sky on crimson wings, moonlight filtering through the trees passing below. Millions of stars dangled temptingly above his head, reflected in his form, but what he sought lay far below him. He tucked in his wings ever so slightly, descending closer, closer to the tree tops until his long talons could brush their leaves.

Unfortunately, the canopy was thick, forcing him to peer in the tiny gaps between leaves, searching, searching.

Then, he heard it.

The seven-noted hoot of a Wildwood Owl, both beautiful and haunting filled the night air. Banking sharply on powerful wings, Abraxos hurtled in the direction of the sound, hoping the owl hadn’t flown. Perhaps his friend had been right, maybe he should have come here in the middle of the day.

But daytime had never been his thing really, unless it was the kind of bleak daytime, shrouded in clouds, that made most other diurnal dragons want to neglect their clan duties and go back to sleep. “Bad” weather had never bothered Abraxos, in fact, he couldn’t feel cold, couldn’t feel icy rain dripping into his eyes. On rare occasions he had experienced warmth, but only enough to make him long for it again, never knowing when his corpse-like hide would decide to feel.

For as long as he could remember, Abraxos had been unable to feel, and for as long as he could remember, he had wanted to know why. Was it some cosmic punishment for something he had done? Some random physical deformity that he was forced to live with?

No one he asked had known, but nevertheless, he kept trying.

He knew he needed the answer, felt that it would give him closure, provide a purpose in his life. Even if it didn’t, his life couldn’t remain some unsolved question, he wasn’t satisfied with that.

He reached the spot where the owl’s call had originated, but the canopy was so thick here that there was no way he could search from the air. Hovering in place for a bit by flapping his powerful wings, Abraxos scanned the dense treetops, looking for a way in.

As a cloud crossed the moon, he saw it. There.

He dove gracefully down, and alighted on the forest floor, scanning the branches above, knowing that the owl would likely be camouflaged in its natural habitat.

To his surprise, however, the owl was perched right in front of him, as if it knew precisely where he would land. Their eyes met.

“So… you have a question for me, young dragon?”
@mermaidlorelei Writing for my lil Nocturne boy, Abraxos (: Decided to leave it as a bit of a mystery..

Abraxos flew threw the night sky on crimson wings, moonlight filtering through the trees passing below. Millions of stars dangled temptingly above his head, reflected in his form, but what he sought lay far below him. He tucked in his wings ever so slightly, descending closer, closer to the tree tops until his long talons could brush their leaves.

Unfortunately, the canopy was thick, forcing him to peer in the tiny gaps between leaves, searching, searching.

Then, he heard it.

The seven-noted hoot of a Wildwood Owl, both beautiful and haunting filled the night air. Banking sharply on powerful wings, Abraxos hurtled in the direction of the sound, hoping the owl hadn’t flown. Perhaps his friend had been right, maybe he should have come here in the middle of the day.

But daytime had never been his thing really, unless it was the kind of bleak daytime, shrouded in clouds, that made most other diurnal dragons want to neglect their clan duties and go back to sleep. “Bad” weather had never bothered Abraxos, in fact, he couldn’t feel cold, couldn’t feel icy rain dripping into his eyes. On rare occasions he had experienced warmth, but only enough to make him long for it again, never knowing when his corpse-like hide would decide to feel.

For as long as he could remember, Abraxos had been unable to feel, and for as long as he could remember, he had wanted to know why. Was it some cosmic punishment for something he had done? Some random physical deformity that he was forced to live with?

No one he asked had known, but nevertheless, he kept trying.

He knew he needed the answer, felt that it would give him closure, provide a purpose in his life. Even if it didn’t, his life couldn’t remain some unsolved question, he wasn’t satisfied with that.

He reached the spot where the owl’s call had originated, but the canopy was so thick here that there was no way he could search from the air. Hovering in place for a bit by flapping his powerful wings, Abraxos scanned the dense treetops, looking for a way in.

As a cloud crossed the moon, he saw it. There.

He dove gracefully down, and alighted on the forest floor, scanning the branches above, knowing that the owl would likely be camouflaged in its natural habitat.

To his surprise, however, the owl was perched right in front of him, as if it knew precisely where he would land. Their eyes met.

“So… you have a question for me, young dragon?”
wjPnp7u.png
@Decaffeinated Can I be added to the raffle for this guy [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=48547195] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/485472/48547195_350.png[/img] [/url]
@Decaffeinated
Can I be added to the raffle for this guy

48547195_350.png

Screenshot-2019-05-17-at-4-57-08-PM.png
@Moonchild42 Oh Talin, he's had it a bit difficult. Maybe someday he'll be able to reunite with both of his families. <3

@Whuffie I love how you incorporated the myth into the lore of Sornieth itself! :D
I have no doubt Mayura will bear her history well.

@Xayxayx I do so love wise old owls. Abraxos is on his way!
@Moonchild42 Oh Talin, he's had it a bit difficult. Maybe someday he'll be able to reunite with both of his families. <3

@Whuffie I love how you incorporated the myth into the lore of Sornieth itself! :D
I have no doubt Mayura will bear her history well.

@Xayxayx I do so love wise old owls. Abraxos is on his way!
MKHInJR.png__gfCdYdH.gif7GFlGJN.pngE2bewfg.pngNk21WD8.pngdVEhpEt.pngpsOFjGK.pngXRLXA9U.pngNi33GGx.pngkFw6KP5.pngjtUkEZ1.pngtp1eAiM.png3JLBG44.pngLTXo08g.pngQAOWWhZ.pngfnhaNrg.png_
1 2 ... 39 40 41 42 43 ... 706 707