Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [TCC] Stories in the Stars
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
[url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/44862423][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/448625/44862423_350.png[/img][/url] [b]Paperclip[/b] Aziraphale, the most organized dragon of the lair and also head librarian, gathered up the stacks of papers on his desk, placing them neatly into piles. Some of them were astronomical errata to be inserted into certain published works, others were reports on various desert wildlife, and still others were just normal library paperwork. To Aziraphale, who never found a piece of paper he somehow could not save, each sheet was precious and deserved a place in the library files. Sorting through the astronomical notes he encountered an interesting memo regarding an apparent new constellation, which resembled the rather mundane paperclip. Reminded of the timeliness of his task, he carefully separated the stacks into more stacks in order of importance and subject matter. Soon he had created numerous smaller stacks, each one requiring a paperclip, for which he reached into the decorative wooden paperclip holder on his desk. His long, thin fingers scraped the bottom of the box. Picking it up, he discovered it was completely devoid of paperclips. “Ach. I forgot to place the order for more, this is a disaster!” Aziraphale moaned in consternation. It wasn’t at all like him to forget such an important item, but he had been away for weeks acquiring books for the collection and his new assistant was, in a word, useless. He rifled through his desk drawers looking for more clips. He searched the credenza. Growing more apoplectic by the minute he removed the cushions from the chaise longue (yes, it is in fact, “longue” and not “lounge”, he always liked to remind his peers and anyone who would listen. Aziraphale was generally regarded as a literary curmudgeon and a bit eccentric, but a snazzy dresser). In a fit of near rage Aziraphale threw himself onto the chaise longue and bit his trembling lower lip. “Good heavens I have lost my MIND! I must have PAPERCLIPS!” he shouted into the still atmosphere of the library, which fortunately was closed and he was alone. Dust that had been dislodged by his outburst trickled from the ceiling. His fit of anger was interrupted by a gentle knock on the door to his office. He took a few deep breaths and went to answer the door. Standing in the doorway was a somewhat terrifying 2-dimensional being in the shape of a gigantic paperclip. It smiled at Aziraphale, waggled its black eyebrows up and down, and smiled. And then it spoke. In a high-pitched voice with an unplaceable accent, the being introduced itself, “I’m Clippy! How can I help?" Aziraphale almost passed out. Coming to his senses Az tried to slam the door shut but the creature, the….paperclip…grabbed the edge of the door and squeezed through, its flattened face expressing impatience, preternatural eyebrows furrowing and the strangely cartoon eyes pleading for Aziraphale to let it help him. Aziraphale started to hyperventilate. Growing angrier, Clippy’s eyes became darker, more menacing. “I AM HERE TO HELP! ARE YOU WRITING A LETTER?” and it bounced over to Az’s desk. It began stuffing the stacks of paper into its wire, er, ribcage. Aziraphale could take no more. Clearly this was some sort of demon, or hallucination, or alien lifeform. Maybe all three. But Az was much larger than this thing, so he threw a lavender chenille blanket (only the finest quality) over Clippy and wrestled the menace to the floor. He tore down a fine silk curtain pull (handmade) and wrapped it around the chenille blanket holding Clippy, trapping the vile creature who squirmed a lot and kept repeating that it was there to help. Okay, so not a hallucination then, Az thought, with some relief. Aziraphale hoisted the bundle onto his shoulders, crossed the room and threw it into a crate he had just emptied of books. Hammering it shut, he placed it on a book trolley, left the library building and headed toward the nearby cliffs overlooking the Lightning Realm, where he chucked it into the sea.
44862423_350.png

Paperclip

Aziraphale, the most organized dragon of the lair and also head librarian, gathered up the stacks of papers on his desk, placing them neatly into piles. Some of them were astronomical errata to be inserted into certain published works, others were reports on various desert wildlife, and still others were just normal library paperwork. To Aziraphale, who never found a piece of paper he somehow could not save, each sheet was precious and deserved a place in the library files. Sorting through the astronomical notes he encountered an interesting memo regarding an apparent new constellation, which resembled the rather mundane paperclip.
Reminded of the timeliness of his task, he carefully separated the stacks into more stacks in order of importance and subject matter. Soon he had created numerous smaller stacks, each one requiring a paperclip, for which he reached into the decorative wooden paperclip holder on his desk. His long, thin fingers scraped the bottom of the box. Picking it up, he discovered it was completely devoid of paperclips.

“Ach. I forgot to place the order for more, this is a disaster!” Aziraphale moaned in consternation. It wasn’t at all like him to forget such an important item, but he had been away for weeks acquiring books for the collection and his new assistant was, in a word, useless.

He rifled through his desk drawers looking for more clips. He searched the credenza. Growing more apoplectic by the minute he removed the cushions from the chaise longue (yes, it is in fact, “longue” and not “lounge”, he always liked to remind his peers and anyone who would listen. Aziraphale was generally regarded as a literary curmudgeon and a bit eccentric, but a snazzy dresser). In a fit of near rage Aziraphale threw himself onto the chaise longue and bit his trembling lower lip.

“Good heavens I have lost my MIND! I must have PAPERCLIPS!” he shouted into the still atmosphere of the library, which fortunately was closed and he was alone. Dust that had been dislodged by his outburst trickled from the ceiling.

His fit of anger was interrupted by a gentle knock on the door to his office. He took a few deep breaths and went to answer the door. Standing in the doorway was a somewhat terrifying 2-dimensional being in the shape of a gigantic paperclip. It smiled at Aziraphale, waggled its black eyebrows up and down, and smiled. And then it spoke. In a high-pitched voice with an unplaceable accent, the being introduced itself, “I’m Clippy! How can I help?"

Aziraphale almost passed out. Coming to his senses Az tried to slam the door shut but the creature, the….paperclip…grabbed the edge of the door and squeezed through, its flattened face expressing impatience, preternatural eyebrows furrowing and the strangely cartoon eyes pleading for Aziraphale to let it help him.

Aziraphale started to hyperventilate.

Growing angrier, Clippy’s eyes became darker, more menacing. “I AM HERE TO HELP! ARE YOU WRITING A LETTER?” and it bounced over to Az’s desk. It began stuffing the stacks of paper into its wire, er, ribcage. Aziraphale could take no more. Clearly this was some sort of demon, or hallucination, or alien lifeform. Maybe all three. But Az was much larger than this thing, so he threw a lavender chenille blanket (only the finest quality) over Clippy and wrestled the menace to the floor. He tore down a fine silk curtain pull (handmade) and wrapped it around the chenille blanket holding Clippy, trapping the vile creature who squirmed a lot and kept repeating that it was there to help. Okay, so not a hallucination then, Az thought, with some relief.

Aziraphale hoisted the bundle onto his shoulders, crossed the room and threw it into a crate he had just emptied of books. Hammering it shut, he placed it on a book trolley, left the library building and headed toward the nearby cliffs overlooking the Lightning Realm, where he chucked it into the sea.

Light-and-Shadow-Bonsai.png
When Lightning flight was young, there was much to do in order to keep up with Stormcatcher's demands. Our roles were varied, and organization was key to our success.

Stormcatcher wanted great, towering spires of copper. He wanted a hundred thousand cables criss-crossing the land. He wanted form, function, and perfection.

As dragons, we cannot envision his great plans. We do not see the world's design as he does. And so, he set out to make a blueprint of his plans for us to follow.

His giant, spiky limbs scrawled patterns into the sand. First Exalted, eager to prove their dedication, wrote down his every word. For several days we gathered paper, and they copied his instructions diligently.

When it was done, the stack of papers was as tall as a Ridgeback. First Exalted had organized it all so that it could be divided amongst many clans all working simultaneously. The clans pushed and jostled against each other, wanting the best, most important job for their own. First Exalted tried to calm them down, to no avail.

The stack of papers crashed to the ground, scattering in the wind. Stormcatcher, displeased, ordered the dragons to go collect the loose pages, wandering the desert in exile until they could find them.

First Exalted, ashamed, set out to create one of lightning flights first inventions. Something to keep all the papers together better. The humble paperclip. Stormcatcher made sure to put that blueprint in the sky, where no dragon would be able to lose it or mess it up.

They say that there are dragons wandering the desert for blueprints to this day. And if you do not work hard enough, and draw Stormcatcher's ire, you will join them.

Oh, and also, make sure to save a digital copy of your work. And if you print something out, number the pages!
When Lightning flight was young, there was much to do in order to keep up with Stormcatcher's demands. Our roles were varied, and organization was key to our success.

Stormcatcher wanted great, towering spires of copper. He wanted a hundred thousand cables criss-crossing the land. He wanted form, function, and perfection.

As dragons, we cannot envision his great plans. We do not see the world's design as he does. And so, he set out to make a blueprint of his plans for us to follow.

His giant, spiky limbs scrawled patterns into the sand. First Exalted, eager to prove their dedication, wrote down his every word. For several days we gathered paper, and they copied his instructions diligently.

When it was done, the stack of papers was as tall as a Ridgeback. First Exalted had organized it all so that it could be divided amongst many clans all working simultaneously. The clans pushed and jostled against each other, wanting the best, most important job for their own. First Exalted tried to calm them down, to no avail.

The stack of papers crashed to the ground, scattering in the wind. Stormcatcher, displeased, ordered the dragons to go collect the loose pages, wandering the desert in exile until they could find them.

First Exalted, ashamed, set out to create one of lightning flights first inventions. Something to keep all the papers together better. The humble paperclip. Stormcatcher made sure to put that blueprint in the sky, where no dragon would be able to lose it or mess it up.

They say that there are dragons wandering the desert for blueprints to this day. And if you do not work hard enough, and draw Stormcatcher's ire, you will join them.

Oh, and also, make sure to save a digital copy of your work. And if you print something out, number the pages!
UiEAFzH.png She/her

+2 FR Time

Cryptid Collection
_B12_L.pngo203-d01-Alo-Vra.pngo203-d02-Alo-Vra.pngo203-d03-Alo-Vra.pngo203-d04-Alo-Vra.pngo203-d05-Alo-Vra.pngo237-d01-Alo-Vra.pngo237-d02-Alo-Vra.pngo237-d03-Alo-Vra.pngo237-d04-Alo-Vra.pngo237-d05-Alo-Vra.png
How do you make a story about a paperclip-
Just because a dragon keeps a paperclip as a pet doesn't mean they're weird. But most of the time they are. "Hey, Clippord the big red Paper Clip isn't an imaginary friend! He's real! I'm holding him in my hand!" (Made up dragon) Spark said defensively. His parents were, yet again, telling him that he should get rid of his red paperclip. He never did, not until he dropped it into the water and lost it permanently. It wasn't even his fault, one of his friends (Who weren't very good friends) accepted a bet to make him drop it. (*Casually stalls for ideas*) It wasn't the clip itself that Spark liked, it was the color, also he liked the name. The friend expected him to be really upset, but Spark didn't care because he has a collection of 500 red paper clips named Clippord. Oof for the friend.
How do you make a story about a paperclip-
Just because a dragon keeps a paperclip as a pet doesn't mean they're weird. But most of the time they are. "Hey, Clippord the big red Paper Clip isn't an imaginary friend! He's real! I'm holding him in my hand!" (Made up dragon) Spark said defensively. His parents were, yet again, telling him that he should get rid of his red paperclip. He never did, not until he dropped it into the water and lost it permanently. It wasn't even his fault, one of his friends (Who weren't very good friends) accepted a bet to make him drop it. (*Casually stalls for ideas*) It wasn't the clip itself that Spark liked, it was the color, also he liked the name. The friend expected him to be really upset, but Spark didn't care because he has a collection of 500 red paper clips named Clippord. Oof for the friend.
mctEJP5.png
Wyvern /\ FR+3
Any pronouns but it/its

>If I made the thread, I'm subbed!
>Feel free to ping me, I don't mind!
snowy_owlynx.pngguardian_foo.png snowsquall_floracat.png
It looks like you're reading my page

Come and work for the Stormcatcher, they said. It will be challenging, they said. It will be rewarding, they said. They had said a whole lot of things, but Paperclip should have asked what they did not say.

Nobody told her how challenging it would be, and how long you had to wait for any rewards. But if Paperclip was one thing it was ambitious. So she worked hardest among her kind, flew at top speed through the desert, harnessed lightning, and did whatever else her deity could even dream of. It only took her five years to get to the top, to work for him personally.

As soon as her ambition could take her no further, the Stormcatcher had a very different path lined out for her: to guide and help others achieve greatness. At first, Paperclip was disappointed. She saw this as a downgrade. How could she hope to better herself if she actually had no chance to better herself?

But soon she found out that teaching meant learning, and she was good at both. Whenever someone was even hesitant at their workplace, let alone a bit lost, Paperclip would pop out from behind the nearest corner and ask, 'Do you need help?' Sometimes she would pop out from behind the nearest corner for no reason at all and just stare at the working dragons.

Sometimes she would forget that the Stormcatcher personally did not really need her help and show up at his workspace. It was the most embarrassing thing whenever that happened to her, but Stormcatcher would not be angry, he would just shoo her away and call her 'Clippy'.

But all good things must come to an end, and upon Paperclip's retirement, the Stormcatcher put her likeness up on the sky in the form of a constellation. It was a bittersweet ending to her long career.
It looks like you're reading my page

Come and work for the Stormcatcher, they said. It will be challenging, they said. It will be rewarding, they said. They had said a whole lot of things, but Paperclip should have asked what they did not say.

Nobody told her how challenging it would be, and how long you had to wait for any rewards. But if Paperclip was one thing it was ambitious. So she worked hardest among her kind, flew at top speed through the desert, harnessed lightning, and did whatever else her deity could even dream of. It only took her five years to get to the top, to work for him personally.

As soon as her ambition could take her no further, the Stormcatcher had a very different path lined out for her: to guide and help others achieve greatness. At first, Paperclip was disappointed. She saw this as a downgrade. How could she hope to better herself if she actually had no chance to better herself?

But soon she found out that teaching meant learning, and she was good at both. Whenever someone was even hesitant at their workplace, let alone a bit lost, Paperclip would pop out from behind the nearest corner and ask, 'Do you need help?' Sometimes she would pop out from behind the nearest corner for no reason at all and just stare at the working dragons.

Sometimes she would forget that the Stormcatcher personally did not really need her help and show up at his workspace. It was the most embarrassing thing whenever that happened to her, but Stormcatcher would not be angry, he would just shoo her away and call her 'Clippy'.

But all good things must come to an end, and upon Paperclip's retirement, the Stormcatcher put her likeness up on the sky in the form of a constellation. It was a bittersweet ending to her long career.
The Merits of the Paperclip, That Which Carries the Highest Virtue of Them All

Clouds could be seen gathering on the horizon, and all the stargazers knew the celestial event would soon come to a close. Just one last constellation to be named and described…

“Ah, you’re right, a paperclip!” A voice chirped from the crowd.

Chantilly had travelled from very far away to enjoy the festivities. His eyes were wide with enchantment. Just the stars alone made it worthwhi--Come again? A paperclip? That’s a bent piece of metal. That can’t be right. No, no. All manner of beings from the Expanse had shown themselves in the heavens this week, and the most fantastic stories had been told. Not even a day had passed between the discovery of each new constellation and several wild tales told by the observers relating to each configuration. Why, we had witches, princesses, baby gods, robots, star crossed lovers, and all manner of things! Why would anybody choose to look at this beautiful, glittering sea and see a paperclip?

“Mm…” Chantilly’s brow furrowed heavily as he crossed his arms. He didn’t want to offend anybody. He’d seen paperclips before, but why weren’t others as disappointed as he was? He glanced over to his travelling companion, Ilvastar as the large obelisk dove a paw into the curls of her mane. She looked back at him with excitement, producing, yes, a paperclip.

“A fantastic conclusion! There is no better friend you will find, nothing more suiting a reminder for the denizens of the glorious Expanse!” Ilvastar puffed her chest out, holding the device in front of her for Chantilly and others to see. “I see some of you may be confused, so let me tell you about this buddy of mine. Everyone at the Turrets had at least a few of these on hand at all times.”

“Say you’re at work and you find you don’t have the tools you need to finish the job. You won’t be able to get them within the hour. What do you do?” Ilvastar gestured to Chantilly, awaiting his response. “Well, I’d just take a break or do something else. That sounds like enough time for a bit of tea.” Other dragons murmured approval, but an audible gasp was drawn from a fair proportion of the crowd.

“Chantilly! See, this is why they sent me all the way to your clan. They said, ‘Ilvastar, we think you need to leave and go show those druids in the woods a thing or two about how to get things done.’” Ilvastar gently gave Chantilly a pat upon his head. “This is a teachable moment.”

“When you do not have the tools to finish the job, you do not find that to be an excuse to rest, no! You make the tools yourself. These are the virtues of determination, ingenuity, and good work ethic.” Ilvastar straightened the paperclip. “With the digital age upon us, we will no longer need clips to hold stacks of papers together. And yet, they have been providing us with a multitude of functions long before we even foresaw this technological advancement. The paperclip is not content to be obsolete or tied to a single task!” She flicked the tip of the clip.

“Need to see if there’s really current in that wiring and lacking a voltmeter? A lightning-adept friend and a paperclip can tell you all you need. Maintenance foolishly left the supply closet locked, prohibiting you from accessing its contents? A paper clip will grant you access to its treasures! Need to replace a wire in a circuit? Indeed, you can even user a paper clip to clean the brush you use for your magnificent locks…” Ilvastar bounced her the side mane in one paw.

“So beloved is the paperclip among our people that we have paid homage to it in our newest electronic devices. Our computing machines, modems, and routers that are soon to form the new brains of the Turrets each require the insertion of a paperclip in a tiny little hole if disaster were to strike and the system needed to be reset.” She closed her eyes and nodded. “I know, I know. But what if you don’t have a paper clip, Ilvastar?”

Ilvastar refolded the clip as she spoke, “Well, that’s just fine and dandy. The clip is a symbol of the inventive mind. It does not ask us to limit ourselves. A pin, cactus spine, or a rib from Jeffrey the veilspun who had a little too much fun at our last office party, but still manages to work for us after his departure. These will do.”

Ilvastar pridefully looked up at the constellation, paw upon her mighty chest.

“Yes…Our God sees us.”

Guys, I just want to say it's been a BLAST. Thanks to those who hosted and coordinated this event. I had a lot of fun. And thanks bunches to those who shared their stories; I enjoyed reading each and every one. I think it's incredible how much we got into this after the jelly story warmed us up. You all have great imaginations. I am proud of us!

The Merits of the Paperclip, That Which Carries the Highest Virtue of Them All

Clouds could be seen gathering on the horizon, and all the stargazers knew the celestial event would soon come to a close. Just one last constellation to be named and described…

“Ah, you’re right, a paperclip!” A voice chirped from the crowd.

Chantilly had travelled from very far away to enjoy the festivities. His eyes were wide with enchantment. Just the stars alone made it worthwhi--Come again? A paperclip? That’s a bent piece of metal. That can’t be right. No, no. All manner of beings from the Expanse had shown themselves in the heavens this week, and the most fantastic stories had been told. Not even a day had passed between the discovery of each new constellation and several wild tales told by the observers relating to each configuration. Why, we had witches, princesses, baby gods, robots, star crossed lovers, and all manner of things! Why would anybody choose to look at this beautiful, glittering sea and see a paperclip?

“Mm…” Chantilly’s brow furrowed heavily as he crossed his arms. He didn’t want to offend anybody. He’d seen paperclips before, but why weren’t others as disappointed as he was? He glanced over to his travelling companion, Ilvastar as the large obelisk dove a paw into the curls of her mane. She looked back at him with excitement, producing, yes, a paperclip.

“A fantastic conclusion! There is no better friend you will find, nothing more suiting a reminder for the denizens of the glorious Expanse!” Ilvastar puffed her chest out, holding the device in front of her for Chantilly and others to see. “I see some of you may be confused, so let me tell you about this buddy of mine. Everyone at the Turrets had at least a few of these on hand at all times.”

“Say you’re at work and you find you don’t have the tools you need to finish the job. You won’t be able to get them within the hour. What do you do?” Ilvastar gestured to Chantilly, awaiting his response. “Well, I’d just take a break or do something else. That sounds like enough time for a bit of tea.” Other dragons murmured approval, but an audible gasp was drawn from a fair proportion of the crowd.

“Chantilly! See, this is why they sent me all the way to your clan. They said, ‘Ilvastar, we think you need to leave and go show those druids in the woods a thing or two about how to get things done.’” Ilvastar gently gave Chantilly a pat upon his head. “This is a teachable moment.”

“When you do not have the tools to finish the job, you do not find that to be an excuse to rest, no! You make the tools yourself. These are the virtues of determination, ingenuity, and good work ethic.” Ilvastar straightened the paperclip. “With the digital age upon us, we will no longer need clips to hold stacks of papers together. And yet, they have been providing us with a multitude of functions long before we even foresaw this technological advancement. The paperclip is not content to be obsolete or tied to a single task!” She flicked the tip of the clip.

“Need to see if there’s really current in that wiring and lacking a voltmeter? A lightning-adept friend and a paperclip can tell you all you need. Maintenance foolishly left the supply closet locked, prohibiting you from accessing its contents? A paper clip will grant you access to its treasures! Need to replace a wire in a circuit? Indeed, you can even user a paper clip to clean the brush you use for your magnificent locks…” Ilvastar bounced her the side mane in one paw.

“So beloved is the paperclip among our people that we have paid homage to it in our newest electronic devices. Our computing machines, modems, and routers that are soon to form the new brains of the Turrets each require the insertion of a paperclip in a tiny little hole if disaster were to strike and the system needed to be reset.” She closed her eyes and nodded. “I know, I know. But what if you don’t have a paper clip, Ilvastar?”

Ilvastar refolded the clip as she spoke, “Well, that’s just fine and dandy. The clip is a symbol of the inventive mind. It does not ask us to limit ourselves. A pin, cactus spine, or a rib from Jeffrey the veilspun who had a little too much fun at our last office party, but still manages to work for us after his departure. These will do.”

Ilvastar pridefully looked up at the constellation, paw upon her mighty chest.

“Yes…Our God sees us.”

Guys, I just want to say it's been a BLAST. Thanks to those who hosted and coordinated this event. I had a lot of fun. And thanks bunches to those who shared their stories; I enjoyed reading each and every one. I think it's incredible how much we got into this after the jelly story warmed us up. You all have great imaginations. I am proud of us!

g2TOb2t.png yMwAJm4.gifgladekeeper.png
Stories in the Stars Day 7: Paperclip Words: 701 [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/67841695][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/678417/67841695_350.png[/img][/url] "What is that." It wasn't a question. Poem's voice was flat as he looked up at the sky, staring at the constellation. It was... less impressive than the others before it. Eight stars connected to form an angular spiral that resembled a commonplace office item. "Oh, I know!" Pluma replied. The Wildclaw eagerly leaned over towards the Pearlcatcher, who in turn scooted away. "It's a paperclip! Y'know, those things that are used to hold papers together. I don't work with paper so I don't ever use them, but they're really-" "I know what a paperclip is," Poem butted in, his tone lackadaisical yet condescending. "I meant what is it doing up there. As a constellation. I mean, a paperclip, really?" A spotted Snapper decided to join the conversation. "Well, y'know how that ol' sayin' goes, right, Poem?" asked Kabocha. "Every star's got its story. Even the ones that look kinda silly." "I'm not particularly inclined towards sentimentality," Greenwing chimed in, "but I do agree with Kabocha. The stars are aligned the way they are for a reason." "But why in the world would a paperclip be in the sky?" Al asked. She thumbed through her notebook again to see if she had any notes on the meanings or origins of office supplies constellations. Nothing. "May I share my thoughts?" Ever the polite dragon, Astraea first asked before speaking. "I personally believe that every constellation has more than one story. The stars form shapes that can be interpreted differently by every dragon. They then make stories to explain its existence based on what they see. That is the beauty of perspective." The Imperial was then struck with an idea. "I know! Why don't we all try to come up with a story of our own for this constellation? It doesn't seem that any of us recognize it, so why don't we decide its origin story?" The rest of the group nodded in approval. They sat in silence for a while, each trying to come up with a story for the paperclip constellation that shone in the night sky. But the task was easier said than done. After several minutes of brainstorming, none of them could come up with anything of much substance. Finally one of the quieter members of the group, a Spiral, spoke up. "I have a few ideas," Hanako, the Spiral, said. "We are in the Shifting Expanse, yes? The home of the Stormcatcher. He considers himself the boss of all Lightning dragons, so perhaps the paperclip is his? It is a very big paperclip, most likely deity-sized." The group conversed among themselves, but eventually rejected the idea. "That doesn't make sense," Poem said. "Why would the Stormcatcher have just one paperclip? Assuming he's very busy, he would need several of them. Thousands, probably." "Maybe he just lost it?" Pluma suggested. "Not likely," Al replied. "The Stormcatcher likes to keep tabs on everything. He wouldn't just lose something, no matter how insignificant it is." "Well, maybe it is more metaphorical than it is literal," Hanako said. "A metaphorical paperclip?" Greenwing questioned, their expression skeptical. Hanako nodded. "Yes. Paperclips are used to hold things together. The constellation could be a sign of unity, connecting all of the objects in the sky together." "Perhaps it is holding the universe together," Greenwing supplied. "A small collection of stars, bearing the weight of the endless cosmos. If it breaks, the galaxy will collapse in on itself, and we will all perish." The group stared at the Skydancer blankly, all of them silent after their incredibly bleak statement. Kabocha awkwardly cleared his throat. "Welp, I suppose it doesn't matter much what it means, so long as it makes us all smile. Right, gang?" All of the group, even the more pompous dragons like Poem and Greenwing, nodded in agreement. "You're right, my love," Hanako said to Kabocha. "What was it you said earlier? Every star has it's own story? I believe you're right. And perhaps the story of these stars is starting right now, with all of us." "That's a beautiful thought, darlin'," Kabocha said. And then the group of stargazers fell silent once more, staring up at the majesty of the starry night sky.
Stories in the Stars Day 7: Paperclip
Words: 701

67841695_350.png

"What is that." It wasn't a question. Poem's voice was flat as he looked up at the sky, staring at the constellation. It was... less impressive than the others before it. Eight stars connected to form an angular spiral that resembled a commonplace office item.

"Oh, I know!" Pluma replied. The Wildclaw eagerly leaned over towards the Pearlcatcher, who in turn scooted away. "It's a paperclip! Y'know, those things that are used to hold papers together. I don't work with paper so I don't ever use them, but they're really-"

"I know what a paperclip is," Poem butted in, his tone lackadaisical yet condescending. "I meant what is it doing up there. As a constellation. I mean, a paperclip, really?"

A spotted Snapper decided to join the conversation. "Well, y'know how that ol' sayin' goes, right, Poem?" asked Kabocha. "Every star's got its story. Even the ones that look kinda silly."

"I'm not particularly inclined towards sentimentality," Greenwing chimed in, "but I do agree with Kabocha. The stars are aligned the way they are for a reason."

"But why in the world would a paperclip be in the sky?" Al asked. She thumbed through her notebook again to see if she had any notes on the meanings or origins of office supplies constellations. Nothing.

"May I share my thoughts?" Ever the polite dragon, Astraea first asked before speaking. "I personally believe that every constellation has more than one story. The stars form shapes that can be interpreted differently by every dragon. They then make stories to explain its existence based on what they see. That is the beauty of perspective." The Imperial was then struck with an idea. "I know! Why don't we all try to come up with a story of our own for this constellation? It doesn't seem that any of us recognize it, so why don't we decide its origin story?"

The rest of the group nodded in approval. They sat in silence for a while, each trying to come up with a story for the paperclip constellation that shone in the night sky. But the task was easier said than done. After several minutes of brainstorming, none of them could come up with anything of much substance. Finally one of the quieter members of the group, a Spiral, spoke up.

"I have a few ideas," Hanako, the Spiral, said. "We are in the Shifting Expanse, yes? The home of the Stormcatcher. He considers himself the boss of all Lightning dragons, so perhaps the paperclip is his? It is a very big paperclip, most likely deity-sized."

The group conversed among themselves, but eventually rejected the idea.

"That doesn't make sense," Poem said. "Why would the Stormcatcher have just one paperclip? Assuming he's very busy, he would need several of them. Thousands, probably."

"Maybe he just lost it?" Pluma suggested.

"Not likely," Al replied. "The Stormcatcher likes to keep tabs on everything. He wouldn't just lose something, no matter how insignificant it is."

"Well, maybe it is more metaphorical than it is literal," Hanako said.

"A metaphorical paperclip?" Greenwing questioned, their expression skeptical.

Hanako nodded. "Yes. Paperclips are used to hold things together. The constellation could be a sign of unity, connecting all of the objects in the sky together."

"Perhaps it is holding the universe together," Greenwing supplied. "A small collection of stars, bearing the weight of the endless cosmos. If it breaks, the galaxy will collapse in on itself, and we will all perish."

The group stared at the Skydancer blankly, all of them silent after their incredibly bleak statement. Kabocha awkwardly cleared his throat. "Welp, I suppose it doesn't matter much what it means, so long as it makes us all smile. Right, gang?"

All of the group, even the more pompous dragons like Poem and Greenwing, nodded in agreement.

"You're right, my love," Hanako said to Kabocha. "What was it you said earlier? Every star has it's own story? I believe you're right. And perhaps the story of these stars is starting right now, with all of us."

"That's a beautiful thought, darlin'," Kabocha said. And then the group of stargazers fell silent once more, staring up at the majesty of the starry night sky.
[url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/33935352][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/339354/33935352_350.png[/img][/url] “Good evening, class. I am sure that your week has been filled with the wonders of the stars. Yet, before the storms return and the stars become covered up again, I would like to share with you a story of the most unassuming constellation: the paperclip.” “A paperclip—an essential tool for document storage, yet so common that we bend them for fun. But what is the value of one paperclip anyway?” “There was a dragon with a single paperclip, working deep within the Stormcatcher’s sanctum. She had a co-worker who needed to send some documents to his boss, but didn’t have a way to keep them together. She gave him the paperclip, and in return he gave her a pen. Another dragon in the office was missing his pen, and he gave her a circuitboard.” “The next day, she was observing some golems when one of them broke down. She remembered the circuitboard she had, and gave it to the mechanic. The mechanic was grateful, and gave her one of her spare robots.” “She didn’t have a use for the robot, so she looked around for someone who would trade. She found a dragon who wanted it in exchange for a signed Stormcatcher portrait. The portrait was traded for a cogspanner, the cogspanner traded for a coatl-sized statue, the statue traded for a job with the Stormcatcher himself.” “Finally, she traded the job opportunity to a dragon from Goldensparc. His parents had died, leaving him with no way to keep the family home. She promised to keep the home as it was, for if he ever made enough treasure to pay off his debts and come back.” “Let the moral of the story be this: profit and kindness do not have to come at the expense of each other. And, with the right strategy and a bit of luck, even a lowly paperclip can be worth a house.”
33935352_350.png

“Good evening, class. I am sure that your week has been filled with the wonders of the stars. Yet, before the storms return and the stars become covered up again, I would like to share with you a story of the most unassuming constellation: the paperclip.”

“A paperclip—an essential tool for document storage, yet so common that we bend them for fun. But what is the value of one paperclip anyway?”

“There was a dragon with a single paperclip, working deep within the Stormcatcher’s sanctum. She had a co-worker who needed to send some documents to his boss, but didn’t have a way to keep them together. She gave him the paperclip, and in return he gave her a pen. Another dragon in the office was missing his pen, and he gave her a circuitboard.”

“The next day, she was observing some golems when one of them broke down. She remembered the circuitboard she had, and gave it to the mechanic. The mechanic was grateful, and gave her one of her spare robots.”

“She didn’t have a use for the robot, so she looked around for someone who would trade. She found a dragon who wanted it in exchange for a signed Stormcatcher portrait. The portrait was traded for a cogspanner, the cogspanner traded for a coatl-sized statue, the statue traded for a job with the Stormcatcher himself.”

“Finally, she traded the job opportunity to a dragon from Goldensparc. His parents had died, leaving him with no way to keep the family home. She promised to keep the home as it was, for if he ever made enough treasure to pay off his debts and come back.”

“Let the moral of the story be this: profit and kindness do not have to come at the expense of each other. And, with the right strategy and a bit of luck, even a lowly paperclip can be worth a house.”
Mg9qSuP.gif
The Paperclip

Have you heard the story of the first Thundercrack Carnivale? Legends say it was the biggest, most extravagant festival the Lightning flight has ever seen. Dragons came from all over Sornieth to see the flashing storms and shining tech, to enjoy the desert cuisine and synth jams. Thousands of dragons were exalted to serve the Stormcatcher that week; there had never been so many exalted at once before, and there haven't been since.

But the problem with having such a successful festival is the amount of paperwork it creates. It took dozens of interns to tabulate all of the invoices and revenue statements, and the exaltation intake department was pulling triple shifts just to keep up with registration and assignments. Though Lightning is a flight that thrives on red tape and reports, they had never handled such a massive influx of paperwork before.

As the festival wore on, the Stormcatcher's offices were getting swamped. Reports filled every cubicle and spilled out into the aisles. Memos fluttered through the halls like confetti. There hadn't been an office pizza party in days. And worst of all...

They were running out of paperclips.

On the final day of the festival, a message came down from the top that there would be a "surprise" inspection that evening at closing time, and the Boss wanted a comprehensive report on the week's exaltations. Interns scrambled to get everything together. With just over half an hour left in the shift, they finally succeeded: a six-thousand page report, ready for review. But when they opened the drawer to search for a paperclip, they found it empty.

In a panic, the shift leaders sent their interns out in a hurried search to find something to bind the report together. They scoured the office, made calls to all the office supply stores in the area, but no luck. The handful of paperclips they could scrape up were all too small for such a massive report. Time was ticking down to the inspection, and they had just about given up all hope of a holiday bonus.

Suddenly, three minutes before closing time, the door burst open and a voice cried out, "I HAVE IT!" An intern stood there, carrying an enormous paperclip that glittered like starlight. "Don't ask me where I got it, quick, just clip the file!"

The team wrestled the giant stack of paperwork into the clip just in time: seconds later, the Stormcatcher himself entered the office to begin his inspection.

They passed, of course, and the holiday bonuses were secured. The giant paperclip that saved the day is still proudly displayed, on that giant bulletin board in the sky.
The Paperclip

Have you heard the story of the first Thundercrack Carnivale? Legends say it was the biggest, most extravagant festival the Lightning flight has ever seen. Dragons came from all over Sornieth to see the flashing storms and shining tech, to enjoy the desert cuisine and synth jams. Thousands of dragons were exalted to serve the Stormcatcher that week; there had never been so many exalted at once before, and there haven't been since.

But the problem with having such a successful festival is the amount of paperwork it creates. It took dozens of interns to tabulate all of the invoices and revenue statements, and the exaltation intake department was pulling triple shifts just to keep up with registration and assignments. Though Lightning is a flight that thrives on red tape and reports, they had never handled such a massive influx of paperwork before.

As the festival wore on, the Stormcatcher's offices were getting swamped. Reports filled every cubicle and spilled out into the aisles. Memos fluttered through the halls like confetti. There hadn't been an office pizza party in days. And worst of all...

They were running out of paperclips.

On the final day of the festival, a message came down from the top that there would be a "surprise" inspection that evening at closing time, and the Boss wanted a comprehensive report on the week's exaltations. Interns scrambled to get everything together. With just over half an hour left in the shift, they finally succeeded: a six-thousand page report, ready for review. But when they opened the drawer to search for a paperclip, they found it empty.

In a panic, the shift leaders sent their interns out in a hurried search to find something to bind the report together. They scoured the office, made calls to all the office supply stores in the area, but no luck. The handful of paperclips they could scrape up were all too small for such a massive report. Time was ticking down to the inspection, and they had just about given up all hope of a holiday bonus.

Suddenly, three minutes before closing time, the door burst open and a voice cried out, "I HAVE IT!" An intern stood there, carrying an enormous paperclip that glittered like starlight. "Don't ask me where I got it, quick, just clip the file!"

The team wrestled the giant stack of paperwork into the clip just in time: seconds later, the Stormcatcher himself entered the office to begin his inspection.

They passed, of course, and the holiday bonuses were secured. The giant paperclip that saved the day is still proudly displayed, on that giant bulletin board in the sky.
event-sig-small-4.png
@StormDragon21 @Sandydragon595 @Forestwolf @Mutation @Saronai @Wylin @romlily @Tenrecidae @AloVra @Pensacola @Scatterspark @Bxy26 @dragonpals @robouiop

Hello everyone!

The deadline has passed for the last story. I just want to thank all of you for being willing to share your creativity with me and whoever else has been reading this thread. Your stories have been wonderful.

I will be re-reading all the stories tomorrow (I'm back on vacation for a bit - yay!) and will probably announce all the winners by Tuesday, August 3rd. The prize packs for yesterday will distributed later tonight.

Thank you again for a wonderful week!

@StormDragon21 @Sandydragon595 @Forestwolf @Mutation @Saronai @Wylin @romlily @Tenrecidae @AloVra @Pensacola @Scatterspark @Bxy26 @dragonpals @robouiop

Hello everyone!

The deadline has passed for the last story. I just want to thank all of you for being willing to share your creativity with me and whoever else has been reading this thread. Your stories have been wonderful.

I will be re-reading all the stories tomorrow (I'm back on vacation for a bit - yay!) and will probably announce all the winners by Tuesday, August 3rd. The prize packs for yesterday will distributed later tonight.

Thank you again for a wonderful week!

30oPYgq.png
Thank you so much for hosting!
Thank you so much for hosting!
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15