Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | The Disenchantress | Fodderlocke (wip)
1 2
[center]Introduction | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41920245]Rules[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41921306]The Crew[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41921866]Captain's Log[/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41921952]Former Crew[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41922276]Pertinent Headcanon[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41922571]Miscellany[/url] [item=seashore digger] [item=water runestone] [item=sinew net] [font=georgia][size=6]The Corsairs of [i]The Disenchantress[/i][/size][/font][/center] Recently released from prison after being scapegoated by her captain for a burglary, Jasnah is ready to return to the smuggler's life, but this time with a crew of her own. [center]---[/center] This is my take on [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2806527]the Fodderlocke[/url], with a band of buccaneers and sea-sorcerers led by a wanderlusting Wind Imp. It's an opportunity to earn some treasure and do some creative writing, as each day / turn event is recorded in-character as the captain's log. Feel free to join in with some RP or words of encouragement or derision for our adventurers of ill repute, or throw an item their way to cue an event, and let me know if you'd like to be pinged for updates about our buccaneers’ trails and travails. [i]The last update was on 31 October 2021.[/i]
Introduction | Rules | The Crew | Captain's Log
Former Crew | Pertinent Headcanon | Miscellany

Seashore Digger Water Runestone Sinew Net
The Corsairs of The Disenchantress
Recently released from prison after being scapegoated by her captain for a burglary, Jasnah is ready to return to the smuggler's life, but this time with a crew of her own.
---
This is my take on the Fodderlocke, with a band of buccaneers and sea-sorcerers led by a wanderlusting Wind Imp. It's an opportunity to earn some treasure and do some creative writing, as each day / turn event is recorded in-character as the captain's log. Feel free to join in with some RP or words of encouragement or derision for our adventurers of ill repute, or throw an item their way to cue an event, and let me know if you'd like to be pinged for updates about our buccaneers’ trails and travails.

The last update was on 31 October 2021.
qd7QmLu.png

the shatterglass sanctum
they/them | 28

dragons for sale || lorebook
[center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_2807834]Introduction[/url] | Rules | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41921306]The Crew[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41921866]Captain's Log[/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41921952]Former Crew[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41922276]Pertinent Headcanon[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41922571]Miscellany[/url] [item=used cartography ink] [item=intact parchment] [item=empty inkwell] [font=georgia][size=6]Articles of Agreement[/size][/font][/center] [i]These rules have been modified and pirate-ified from the [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2806527]original fodderlocke rules[/url] by [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&tab=userpage&id=48487]squidragon[/url] and often inspired by other players' modifications. (See the [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41922571]credits section[/url] below.) Feel free to suggest additional rules and modifications, or take inspiration from these, if you'd like![/i] All unnamed dragons will be given one of the random name generator's first 10 suggestions. All dragons that join the crew must have at least a little lore thought up and written for them. If all the cheapest fodder dragons are hideous, you can purchase one within 1000 treasure of the fodder floor. Dragons and bred fodder from your main clan can join the fodderlocke, but they must undergo the recruitment phase; they cannot join as captain, navigator, quartermaster, sea witch, boatswain, or as a result of a turn event, otherwise the crew would probably end up with an imbalanced number of offspring from your clan. If you ever run into a very exciting Dom raffle or battle or run out of lair space, do not hesitate to yeet the whole crew. There is no mercy in the fodderlocke. [font=georgia][size=5]The Captain[/size][/font] Envision your ship and purchase its captain, your favorite dragon at the current lowest price on the AH. When they reach adulthood, level them to 9. Equip a piece of apparel to indicate their status. When the Seaspray apparel cycles back in in September, the captain will wear a Swashbuckler's Seaspray Cap, if I manage to stick with this fodderlocke for that long. For the time being, they will wear odds and ends from the Rose Gold Steampunk Set. If any dragon ever surpasses the captain in level, they are deemed more worthy of the position by the crew. Exalt the previous captain and raise the new one a level. The captain keeps a record of all the goings-on of their ship and crew of which they are aware. When a new dragon takes over as captain, they begin a new log. Keep track of the net profits under the captain's leadership; the highest-scoring captains are remembered as being the most successful and/or ruthless. If a crew manages to accomplish a net profit of 1,000,000 treasure, the entire crew retires from the pirate life; start over with a new captain. [font=georgia][size=5]Establishing the Crew[/size][/font] Purchase four more of the cheapest dragons on the AH. In order of your purchases, they are the navigator, quartermaster, sea witch, and boatswain. Level them to 6. A captain needs a crew. If the captain ever becomes the sole person on the ship, repeat this step. If your navigator, quartermaster, sea witch, and boatswain become exalted or retired, replace them with recruits or current crewmembers as you deem appropriate. [font=georgia][size=5]Turn Events[/size][/font] Each turn, purchase two dragons for the lowest price on the AH. When they reach adulthood, level them together to 6. Roll 1 to 6. If 6, they have been recruited by our crew; otherwise, exalt. Repeat until the crew gains a member. Next, roll to determine what the crew is up to this time. If RNG's selection is impossible at the time, roll again. Dragons are randomly selected by the top results when all fodderlocke dragons are put into a random list generator. A death-streak involves fighting dragons in the venue matching the level of the lowest-level dragon for ten rounds, until a captcha appears, or until one fodderlocke dragon faints and must then be exalted or retired. [list=1][*]The captain has procured a map or clues to an ancient treasure, and the crew seeks it out. Roll 1 to 12 for each dragon. If the resulting number is higher than their level, exalt them. Raise all survivors a level. [*]The captain has procured a map or clues to an ancient treasure, and the crew seeks it out. Roll 1 to 12 for each dragon. If the resulting number is higher than their level, exalt them. Raise all survivors a level. [*]Time to pillage and plunder. During the mission, two random dragons are raised a level and have a 1/6 chance each of being exalted. [*]Time to pillage and plunder. During the mission, two random dragons are raised a level and have a 1/6 chance each of being exalted. [*]Time to pillage and plunder. During the mission, two random dragons are raised a level and have a 1/6 chance each of being exalted. [*]Guards set a trap for the crew, and three dragons are taken into custody (exalt). [*]Two RTB dragons breed. Their offspring join the family business. [*]Two RTB dragons breed. Their offspring join the family business. [*]Two dragons are now in love, and fate has tied them together. If one is selected for an event or battle party, the other joins them. If one gets exalted or retires, the other goes, too. They can be bred together as many times as desired. [*]When the ship made port, one of the crew fell madly for a local. They leave the crew to be with their new sweetheart. [*]The ship makes port, and a random dragon falls madly in lust and manages to smuggle their new sweetheart on-board. Purchase the cheapest adult but keep them at level 1 this turn. Every turn, they have a 1/4 chance of being found out and both being booted from the ship and a 1/4 chance of the smuggled sweetheart becoming a fully-fledged crewmember. [*]You have a stowaway! Purchase the cheapest dragon off the AH and skip the recruitment and trial process, leaving them at level 1. For each activity they are selected for, they have a 1/4 chance of being found out and booted from the ship and a 1/4 chance of becoming a fully-fledged crewmember. [*]The captain becomes fond of a group of orphans and offers them a chance at a better life sailing the seas. Purchase the least expensive group of siblings on the AH. They all become cabin boys or girls. Level them to 5 and assign them a new role in 10 turns. [*]While making port, a hatchling begs the captain to let them join the crew. They become a cabin boy or girl. Level them to 5 and assign them a new role in 10 turns. [*]The crew recruits a doctor, who patches them all up. Purchase the cheapest adult off the AH, raise all dragons a level, and heal any unwell dragons. If the ship already has a doctor, the doctor gains an apprentice. Purchase the cheapest hatchling off the AH and raise all dragons a level. [*]The newest recruit hasn't gotten their sea-legs yet and is terribly seasick. If they are selected for anything for the next five turns, the crew advises them against pursuing this life and leaves them behind after the activity is over. [*]The cook (or a random crewmember) warns the captain that food stores are low. Coli until you collect a stack of 99 of the first food item to drop on your first round this turn. [*]Some of the food stored on the ship rotted, and each crewmember has a 50/50 chance of having contracted food poisoning. They cannot participate in any activities for the next five turns. Coli with dragons who aren't sick until you collect 50 to 100 food items (how many determined by RNG). If you have no choice but to Coli with a sick dragon, exalt them afterwards; their condition kept worsening and the crew left them behind to recover. [*]The crew has been hired to abscond with a certain item; Coli until you collect it. RNG decides what it is: - Apparel - Battle item - Chest - Familiar [*]The crew's cannons get an upgrade, and in their excitement, they attack a rival ship. Go on a death-streak with three random dragons. [*]Three random dragons were wounded during a recent skirmish. If there is a doctor aboard, they have a 50/50 chance of recovering each turn. If any of the injured are chosen for Coli within the next three turns, exalt or retire them. [*]The ship has suffered severe damage due to a recent cannon fight and it must remain in drydock for a while for repairs. Each crewmember besides the captain has a 1/4 chance of switching to another crew before repairs are complete. [*]It's a brilliant, beautiful day on the seas, the sun high, the water glistening. All crewmembers experience a boost of morale; level all dragons by one. [*]There's a terrible storm on the sea, but there is a 50/50 chance that the crew will attempt or need to sail anyway. If they do, one crewmember falls overboard and is lost to the sea. If they don't, nothing happens this turn. [*]It's been weeks since you made port, and the crew is restless. When you finally do again, one random dragon deserts. [*]While the ship is making port, two dragons hear about a wealthy residence and decide to burglarize it. They have a 50/50 chance of either succeeding and gaining a level, or failing and one being caught. If they fail, death-streak in a venue that's between their levels and exalt the first one to faint. [*]The contraband the crew is currently smuggling is attracting a lot of unwanted attention. RNG determines the outcome of this mission: 1. They manage to safely deliver it to the buyer or middleman. 2. They are ambushed by another pirate crew on the way to the buyer or middleman. Every crewmember has a 1/4 chance of being exalted. 3. The authorities have been tipped off and come sniffing around the next time the crew makes port. There is a 50/50 chance of them either discovering and confiscating the contraband and arresting the captain (exalt and replace), or overlooking it because of the captain's cleverness (increase captain by one level). [*]The quartermaster has caught the crew gambling, in violation of the ship's code. Two random dragons are booted from the crew to set an example. [*]One random dragon envies another's apparel and/or familiar and decides to try to take it for themselves. Death-streak in the Coliseum until one dragon dies; this is the loser of their struggle. The winner takes or keeps the loot (or just what they coveted, and their crewmates squabble over and randomly get the rest); the loser is exalted. [*]A member of the crew is immensely unpopular and frequently on the wrong side of the Quartermaster, and the highest-level dragon besides the captain has called them out. Raise the unpopular crewmember a level to help them prove their worth. If they don't get selected for an activity in the next five turns, boot the layabout. [*]The captain wants to really test the mettle of his crew, especially the ones who aren't thriving. Roll 1 to 10 for each of your lowest-level dragons; if the resulting number is higher than their level, they didn't make the cut. Exalt them, and raise the remaining lowest-level dragons a level. [*]Three random dragons are or have become very experienced and clever. This is a get-out-of-exalt-free card for the next time they would be exalted for any reason. [*]The crew's hideout has been discovered! Each dragon has a 50/50 chance of being arrested, or of hiding, escaping, of not having been there at the time, or otherwise avoiding arrest. [*]Pinkerlocke flashbacks! What you pluck from Pinkerton's Plundered Pile today determines what occurs: - [i]Apparel:[/i] Two RTB dragons breed. If none are available to breed, the crew comes across an abandoned egg (purchase a hatchling). - [i]Battle Item:[/i] Death streak. - [i]Familiar:[/i] Recruit a new crewmember. If the dragon purchased is a hatchling, they must wait until reaching adulthood before joining the 'locke. - [i]Food:[/i] RNG for number of Coli battles based on food type according to Pinkerlocke rules. - [i]Material:[/i] Write a short story about recent events pertaining to the crew. - [i]Trinket:[/i] Write a more detailed backstory for one of the dragons. [*]The highest-level dragon below the captain (or one of them if more than one) has decided to become captain of their own ship and crew, and they take one random dragon with them. This new crew acts as a second fodderlocke, and this and the original crew now alternate turns. Any time this event is selected by RNG for the main crew from here on out, one random dragon from the main crew deserts for the second crew. Any time it's rolled for the second crew, one random dragon from the second crew deserts for the main crew. Crew establishment rules do not apply to the second crew. Any time only one dragon (including the captain) remains in the second crew, exalt them and eliminate their ship from play (at least for now!). [*]The captain has been stripped of command; exalt them. The new leader is the highest-level dragon in the crew. If there is a tie, they compete for the position: death-streak all dragons of that level, and the last to remain standing, wins. Raise the new captain a level.[/list] [font=georgia][size=5]Coliseum Drops[/size][/font] When one of the following drops for a potential recruit, the elimination roll can be bypassed if desired. [b]Ability & Energy Stones[/b] [i]Ambush:[/i] An enemy ship was laying in wait. Death-streak. [i]Eliminate:[/i] Exalt the crewmembers in the battle party (besides the trainer, if applicable). [i]Rally:[/i] The captain themself enters the battle, boosting morale among the crew. The leader and two random dragons increase a level together (as opposed to with a trainer). [I] Regeneration:[/I] One random unwell dragon recovers. [i]Everything Else:[/i] RNG decides: [list=1][*]The crew improves their strategy and coordination. Raise all dragons a level. [*]Emboldened by their recent successes, the group attacks a rival ship they encounter on the sea without much of a plan. Death-streak.[/list] [b]Accents & Skins[/b] There's a traitor on the ship! Let RNG decide who it is. Every turn, they have a 1/3 chance of being discovered and booted. Every activity for which they are selected, they have a 1/3 chance of killing a dragon with whom they are teamed. The accents and skins themselves are handled per apparel and familiar drop rules below. [b]Apparel & Familiars[/b] If apparel or familiars drop, the captain gets first pick, followed by the navigator, quartermaster, sea witch, boatswain, and then the crew from highest to lowest level. (If there are multiple dragons of a level, RNG decides between them for each item). If any dragon wishes to replace their current apparel or familiar, they cast the old item off for the other crewmembers besides the top four to squabble over (RLG decides the order of who gets first, second, third, etc. pick). If a dragon who is exalted possesses apparel, with the exception of the captain's special articles to indicate their status, the items return to your Hoard, but familiars can remain aboard the ship (depending upon how their previous bonded dragon left the ship) and be bonded with a new crewmember. If there is an excess of familiars, they are bonded with a new crewmember when one becomes available. Familiars can be bonded with each day that you work on the Fodderlocke, with the treasure, apparel, and familiars they drop all applying to the Fodderlocke. [b]Deity-Related Items[/b] One of the deities seems to be smiling upon [i]The Disenchantress[/i]. All dragons of that deity's element feel their blessings, and the crew encounters a competent new crewmember of that element. Raise all dragons of that deity's element by one level, and obtain a new crewmember of that element. [b]Eggs[/b] The crew comes across an abandoned egg and takes it aboard. In three turns, purchase one of the cheapest hatchlings on the AH; they become a cabin boy or girl. Level them to 5 and assign them a new role in ten turns. [b]Genes[/b] One of the crewmembers is unwell (their health is 3 out of 5). Each turn in which they are selected for a turn event, their condition worsens by 1 point, but each time the ship's doctor is selected for a turn event, if there is one, their condition improves 1 point, up to a maximum of 5 points. Rolling 1 on a potion or tincture drop can also increase their health by 1. If their health reaches 0, they die. If their health reaches 5, they recover. [b]Potions & Tinctures[/b] If a potion or tincture drops, roll 1 to 2. [list=1][*]A random dragon in the battle party drinks a tonic and feels invigorated. Raise them one level. [*]A random dragon in the battle party has been poisoned or made ill by something they drank. If they faint in the Coli in the next three turns, they die or must retire.[/list] A dragon can only be affected by one health potion or tonic each turn. [b]Scroll of Renaming[/b] A random dragon in the battle party covets a post higher in the chain of command than theirs. RNG decides which position it is they want. If they are higher in level than the current holder of the post, they take it. If not, the two dragons death-streak for it, with the first to faint being the loser and the winner gaining a level. If they successfully take the position, RNG then decides what becomes of the person whose position was taken from them: [list=1][*]They swap positions with that crewmember. [*]The crewmember is exalted or retired.[/list] If they are unsuccessful in stealing the position, they must face the Quartermaster for their mutinous behavior. They are raised one level in an attempt to prove their worth, but if they are not selected for any activities in the next five turns, they will get the boot. [b]Treasure & Gems[/b] After the captain, navigator, quartermaster, sea witch, and boatswain get their first picks of the recent loot, the rest of the crew squabble over the treasure. One dragon has a 1/3 chance of intimidating his crewmates into letting him keep it all (raise one level) and a 1/3 chance of losing a fight over it (exalt). If neither occur, the rest of the crew (excluding the captain, navigator, quartermaster, sea witch, and boatswain) manages to split the loot, and gains one level. [b]Vial of Hypnotic Sight[/b] A random dragon in the battle party had too much grog. They cannot participate in any activities in the next turn. [B] Vistas [/b] A random dragon in the battle party has been very profitable and successful as a member of the crew. They are exempt from being exalted or retired for three turns. [font=georgia][size=5]Exalting[/size][/font] Lore-wise, exalting can be anything that leads the character to be removed from the group and its activities: death, imprisonment, shipwreck, deserting for a different crew, becoming a privateer, etc. (There's also a high probability that I won't exalt and will instead hold onto the occasional character, because I’m a sentimental lore nerd.) [font=georgia][size=5]Level 25[/size][/font] If a dragon somehow manages to reach level 25, they become a legend. They can either retire from pirate life (exalt or retire safely to your lair) or become the admiral of a pirate fleet. Get the current crew a new captain and start a new ship and crew, as well, both of whom report to the admiral (maybe; we'll see if/when we ever get there!). The admiral can still participate in turn events, but can be exempt from being exalted, if you wish. They are given stats and stones and become the new two-fodder trainer for all other participants in the fodderlocke. There can only be one admiral. If a second dragon reaches level 25 and wishes to be admiral, they fight a duel. Death-streak them until one faints; that one is the loser and retires or dies. The surviving dragon becomes the new admiral. This will all probably never happen, but it's amusing to imagine.

Used Cartography Ink Intact Parchment Empty Inkwell
Articles of Agreement
These rules have been modified and pirate-ified from the original fodderlocke rules by squidragon and often inspired by other players' modifications. (See the credits section below.) Feel free to suggest additional rules and modifications, or take inspiration from these, if you'd like!

All unnamed dragons will be given one of the random name generator's first 10 suggestions.

All dragons that join the crew must have at least a little lore thought up and written for them.

If all the cheapest fodder dragons are hideous, you can purchase one within 1000 treasure of the fodder floor.

Dragons and bred fodder from your main clan can join the fodderlocke, but they must undergo the recruitment phase; they cannot join as captain, navigator, quartermaster, sea witch, boatswain, or as a result of a turn event, otherwise the crew would probably end up with an imbalanced number of offspring from your clan.

If you ever run into a very exciting Dom raffle or battle or run out of lair space, do not hesitate to yeet the whole crew. There is no mercy in the fodderlocke.

The Captain
Envision your ship and purchase its captain, your favorite dragon at the current lowest price on the AH. When they reach adulthood, level them to 9. Equip a piece of apparel to indicate their status. When the Seaspray apparel cycles back in in September, the captain will wear a Swashbuckler's Seaspray Cap, if I manage to stick with this fodderlocke for that long. For the time being, they will wear odds and ends from the Rose Gold Steampunk Set.

If any dragon ever surpasses the captain in level, they are deemed more worthy of the position by the crew. Exalt the previous captain and raise the new one a level.

The captain keeps a record of all the goings-on of their ship and crew of which they are aware. When a new dragon takes over as captain, they begin a new log.

Keep track of the net profits under the captain's leadership; the highest-scoring captains are remembered as being the most successful and/or ruthless. If a crew manages to accomplish a net profit of 1,000,000 treasure, the entire crew retires from the pirate life; start over with a new captain.

Establishing the Crew
Purchase four more of the cheapest dragons on the AH. In order of your purchases, they are the navigator, quartermaster, sea witch, and boatswain. Level them to 6.

A captain needs a crew. If the captain ever becomes the sole person on the ship, repeat this step. If your navigator, quartermaster, sea witch, and boatswain become exalted or retired, replace them with recruits or current crewmembers as you deem appropriate.

Turn Events
Each turn, purchase two dragons for the lowest price on the AH. When they reach adulthood, level them together to 6. Roll 1 to 6. If 6, they have been recruited by our crew; otherwise, exalt. Repeat until the crew gains a member.

Next, roll to determine what the crew is up to this time. If RNG's selection is impossible at the time, roll again. Dragons are randomly selected by the top results when all fodderlocke dragons are put into a random list generator.

A death-streak involves fighting dragons in the venue matching the level of the lowest-level dragon for ten rounds, until a captcha appears, or until one fodderlocke dragon faints and must then be exalted or retired.
  1. The captain has procured a map or clues to an ancient treasure, and the crew seeks it out. Roll 1 to 12 for each dragon. If the resulting number is higher than their level, exalt them. Raise all survivors a level.
  2. The captain has procured a map or clues to an ancient treasure, and the crew seeks it out. Roll 1 to 12 for each dragon. If the resulting number is higher than their level, exalt them. Raise all survivors a level.
  3. Time to pillage and plunder. During the mission, two random dragons are raised a level and have a 1/6 chance each of being exalted.
  4. Time to pillage and plunder. During the mission, two random dragons are raised a level and have a 1/6 chance each of being exalted.
  5. Time to pillage and plunder. During the mission, two random dragons are raised a level and have a 1/6 chance each of being exalted.
  6. Guards set a trap for the crew, and three dragons are taken into custody (exalt).
  7. Two RTB dragons breed. Their offspring join the family business.
  8. Two RTB dragons breed. Their offspring join the family business.
  9. Two dragons are now in love, and fate has tied them together. If one is selected for an event or battle party, the other joins them. If one gets exalted or retires, the other goes, too. They can be bred together as many times as desired.
  10. When the ship made port, one of the crew fell madly for a local. They leave the crew to be with their new sweetheart.
  11. The ship makes port, and a random dragon falls madly in lust and manages to smuggle their new sweetheart on-board. Purchase the cheapest adult but keep them at level 1 this turn. Every turn, they have a 1/4 chance of being found out and both being booted from the ship and a 1/4 chance of the smuggled sweetheart becoming a fully-fledged crewmember.
  12. You have a stowaway! Purchase the cheapest dragon off the AH and skip the recruitment and trial process, leaving them at level 1. For each activity they are selected for, they have a 1/4 chance of being found out and booted from the ship and a 1/4 chance of becoming a fully-fledged crewmember.
  13. The captain becomes fond of a group of orphans and offers them a chance at a better life sailing the seas. Purchase the least expensive group of siblings on the AH. They all become cabin boys or girls. Level them to 5 and assign them a new role in 10 turns.
  14. While making port, a hatchling begs the captain to let them join the crew. They become a cabin boy or girl. Level them to 5 and assign them a new role in 10 turns.
  15. The crew recruits a doctor, who patches them all up. Purchase the cheapest adult off the AH, raise all dragons a level, and heal any unwell dragons. If the ship already has a doctor, the doctor gains an apprentice. Purchase the cheapest hatchling off the AH and raise all dragons a level.
  16. The newest recruit hasn't gotten their sea-legs yet and is terribly seasick. If they are selected for anything for the next five turns, the crew advises them against pursuing this life and leaves them behind after the activity is over.
  17. The cook (or a random crewmember) warns the captain that food stores are low. Coli until you collect a stack of 99 of the first food item to drop on your first round this turn.
  18. Some of the food stored on the ship rotted, and each crewmember has a 50/50 chance of having contracted food poisoning. They cannot participate in any activities for the next five turns. Coli with dragons who aren't sick until you collect 50 to 100 food items (how many determined by RNG). If you have no choice but to Coli with a sick dragon, exalt them afterwards; their condition kept worsening and the crew left them behind to recover.
  19. The crew has been hired to abscond with a certain item; Coli until you collect it. RNG decides what it is:
    - Apparel
    - Battle item
    - Chest
    - Familiar
  20. The crew's cannons get an upgrade, and in their excitement, they attack a rival ship. Go on a death-streak with three random dragons.
  21. Three random dragons were wounded during a recent skirmish. If there is a doctor aboard, they have a 50/50 chance of recovering each turn. If any of the injured are chosen for Coli within the next three turns, exalt or retire them.
  22. The ship has suffered severe damage due to a recent cannon fight and it must remain in drydock for a while for repairs. Each crewmember besides the captain has a 1/4 chance of switching to another crew before repairs are complete.
  23. It's a brilliant, beautiful day on the seas, the sun high, the water glistening. All crewmembers experience a boost of morale; level all dragons by one.
  24. There's a terrible storm on the sea, but there is a 50/50 chance that the crew will attempt or need to sail anyway. If they do, one crewmember falls overboard and is lost to the sea. If they don't, nothing happens this turn.
  25. It's been weeks since you made port, and the crew is restless. When you finally do again, one random dragon deserts.
  26. While the ship is making port, two dragons hear about a wealthy residence and decide to burglarize it. They have a 50/50 chance of either succeeding and gaining a level, or failing and one being caught. If they fail, death-streak in a venue that's between their levels and exalt the first one to faint.
  27. The contraband the crew is currently smuggling is attracting a lot of unwanted attention. RNG determines the outcome of this mission:
    1. They manage to safely deliver it to the buyer or middleman.
    2. They are ambushed by another pirate crew on the way to the buyer or middleman. Every crewmember has a 1/4 chance of being exalted.
    3. The authorities have been tipped off and come sniffing around the next time the crew makes port. There is a 50/50 chance of them either discovering and confiscating the contraband and arresting the captain (exalt and replace), or overlooking it because of the captain's cleverness (increase captain by one level).
  28. The quartermaster has caught the crew gambling, in violation of the ship's code. Two random dragons are booted from the crew to set an example.
  29. One random dragon envies another's apparel and/or familiar and decides to try to take it for themselves. Death-streak in the Coliseum until one dragon dies; this is the loser of their struggle. The winner takes or keeps the loot (or just what they coveted, and their crewmates squabble over and randomly get the rest); the loser is exalted.
  30. A member of the crew is immensely unpopular and frequently on the wrong side of the Quartermaster, and the highest-level dragon besides the captain has called them out. Raise the unpopular crewmember a level to help them prove their worth. If they don't get selected for an activity in the next five turns, boot the layabout.
  31. The captain wants to really test the mettle of his crew, especially the ones who aren't thriving. Roll 1 to 10 for each of your lowest-level dragons; if the resulting number is higher than their level, they didn't make the cut. Exalt them, and raise the remaining lowest-level dragons a level.
  32. Three random dragons are or have become very experienced and clever. This is a get-out-of-exalt-free card for the next time they would be exalted for any reason.
  33. The crew's hideout has been discovered! Each dragon has a 50/50 chance of being arrested, or of hiding, escaping, of not having been there at the time, or otherwise avoiding arrest.
  34. Pinkerlocke flashbacks! What you pluck from Pinkerton's Plundered Pile today determines what occurs:
    - Apparel: Two RTB dragons breed. If none are available to breed, the crew comes across an abandoned egg (purchase a hatchling).
    - Battle Item: Death streak.
    - Familiar: Recruit a new crewmember. If the dragon purchased is a hatchling, they must wait until reaching adulthood before joining the 'locke.
    - Food: RNG for number of Coli battles based on food type according to Pinkerlocke rules.
    - Material: Write a short story about recent events pertaining to the crew.
    - Trinket: Write a more detailed backstory for one of the dragons.
  35. The highest-level dragon below the captain (or one of them if more than one) has decided to become captain of their own ship and crew, and they take one random dragon with them. This new crew acts as a second fodderlocke, and this and the original crew now alternate turns. Any time this event is selected by RNG for the main crew from here on out, one random dragon from the main crew deserts for the second crew. Any time it's rolled for the second crew, one random dragon from the second crew deserts for the main crew. Crew establishment rules do not apply to the second crew. Any time only one dragon (including the captain) remains in the second crew, exalt them and eliminate their ship from play (at least for now!).
  36. The captain has been stripped of command; exalt them. The new leader is the highest-level dragon in the crew. If there is a tie, they compete for the position: death-streak all dragons of that level, and the last to remain standing, wins. Raise the new captain a level.

Coliseum Drops
When one of the following drops for a potential recruit, the elimination roll can be bypassed if desired.

Ability & Energy Stones
Ambush: An enemy ship was laying in wait. Death-streak.

Eliminate: Exalt the crewmembers in the battle party (besides the trainer, if applicable).

Rally: The captain themself enters the battle, boosting morale among the crew. The leader and two random dragons increase a level together (as opposed to with a trainer).

Regeneration: One random unwell dragon recovers.

Everything Else: RNG decides:
  1. The crew improves their strategy and coordination. Raise all dragons a level.
  2. Emboldened by their recent successes, the group attacks a rival ship they encounter on the sea without much of a plan. Death-streak.
Accents & Skins
There's a traitor on the ship! Let RNG decide who it is. Every turn, they have a 1/3 chance of being discovered and booted. Every activity for which they are selected, they have a 1/3 chance of killing a dragon with whom they are teamed.

The accents and skins themselves are handled per apparel and familiar drop rules below.

Apparel & Familiars
If apparel or familiars drop, the captain gets first pick, followed by the navigator, quartermaster, sea witch, boatswain, and then the crew from highest to lowest level. (If there are multiple dragons of a level, RNG decides between them for each item). If any dragon wishes to replace their current apparel or familiar, they cast the old item off for the other crewmembers besides the top four to squabble over (RLG decides the order of who gets first, second, third, etc. pick).

If a dragon who is exalted possesses apparel, with the exception of the captain's special articles to indicate their status, the items return to your Hoard, but familiars can remain aboard the ship (depending upon how their previous bonded dragon left the ship) and be bonded with a new crewmember.

If there is an excess of familiars, they are bonded with a new crewmember when one becomes available.

Familiars can be bonded with each day that you work on the Fodderlocke, with the treasure, apparel, and familiars they drop all applying to the Fodderlocke.

Deity-Related Items
One of the deities seems to be smiling upon The Disenchantress. All dragons of that deity's element feel their blessings, and the crew encounters a competent new crewmember of that element. Raise all dragons of that deity's element by one level, and obtain a new crewmember of that element.

Eggs
The crew comes across an abandoned egg and takes it aboard. In three turns, purchase one of the cheapest hatchlings on the AH; they become a cabin boy or girl. Level them to 5 and assign them a new role in ten turns.

Genes
One of the crewmembers is unwell (their health is 3 out of 5). Each turn in which they are selected for a turn event, their condition worsens by 1 point, but each time the ship's doctor is selected for a turn event, if there is one, their condition improves 1 point, up to a maximum of 5 points. Rolling 1 on a potion or tincture drop can also increase their health by 1. If their health reaches 0, they die. If their health reaches 5, they recover.

Potions & Tinctures
If a potion or tincture drops, roll 1 to 2.
  1. A random dragon in the battle party drinks a tonic and feels invigorated. Raise them one level.
  2. A random dragon in the battle party has been poisoned or made ill by something they drank. If they faint in the Coli in the next three turns, they die or must retire.
A dragon can only be affected by one health potion or tonic each turn.

Scroll of Renaming
A random dragon in the battle party covets a post higher in the chain of command than theirs. RNG decides which position it is they want. If they are higher in level than the current holder of the post, they take it. If not, the two dragons death-streak for it, with the first to faint being the loser and the winner gaining a level. If they successfully take the position, RNG then decides what becomes of the person whose position was taken from them:
  1. They swap positions with that crewmember.
  2. The crewmember is exalted or retired.
If they are unsuccessful in stealing the position, they must face the Quartermaster for their mutinous behavior. They are raised one level in an attempt to prove their worth, but if they are not selected for any activities in the next five turns, they will get the boot.

Treasure & Gems
After the captain, navigator, quartermaster, sea witch, and boatswain get their first picks of the recent loot, the rest of the crew squabble over the treasure. One dragon has a 1/3 chance of intimidating his crewmates into letting him keep it all (raise one level) and a 1/3 chance of losing a fight over it (exalt). If neither occur, the rest of the crew (excluding the captain, navigator, quartermaster, sea witch, and boatswain) manages to split the loot, and gains one level.

Vial of Hypnotic Sight
A random dragon in the battle party had too much grog. They cannot participate in any activities in the next turn.

Vistas
A random dragon in the battle party has been very profitable and successful as a member of the crew. They are exempt from being exalted or retired for three turns.

Exalting
Lore-wise, exalting can be anything that leads the character to be removed from the group and its activities: death, imprisonment, shipwreck, deserting for a different crew, becoming a privateer, etc.

(There's also a high probability that I won't exalt and will instead hold onto the occasional character, because I’m a sentimental lore nerd.)

Level 25
If a dragon somehow manages to reach level 25, they become a legend. They can either retire from pirate life (exalt or retire safely to your lair) or become the admiral of a pirate fleet. Get the current crew a new captain and start a new ship and crew, as well, both of whom report to the admiral (maybe; we'll see if/when we ever get there!). The admiral can still participate in turn events, but can be exempt from being exalted, if you wish. They are given stats and stones and become the new two-fodder trainer for all other participants in the fodderlocke.

There can only be one admiral. If a second dragon reaches level 25 and wishes to be admiral, they fight a duel. Death-streak them until one faints; that one is the loser and retires or dies. The surviving dragon becomes the new admiral.

This will all probably never happen, but it's amusing to imagine.
qd7QmLu.png

the shatterglass sanctum
they/them | 28

[center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_2807834]Introduction[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41920245]Rules[/url] | The Crew | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41921866]Captain's Log[/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41921952]Former Crew[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41922276]Pertinent Headcanon[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41922571]Miscellany[/url] [item=swashbuckler's cutlass] [item=busted wheel frame] [font=georgia][size=6]The Crew[/size] [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=58422916][img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/584230/58422916_350.png[/img][/url] [size=5]Jasnah, [i]The Captain[/i][/size][/font] Driven | Stoic | Loyal Level 13 Recently released from prison after being scapegoated by her captain for a burglary, Jasnah is ready to return to the buccaneer's life, but this time with a crew of her own. In Jasnah's estimation, honesty, loyalty, and fraternity are the keys to a successful and profitable crew. [b]Net Profit:[/b] [color=red]-19,619[/color] [emoji=treasure size=1] | 0 [emoji=blue gem size=1] [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=58464233][img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/584643/58464233_350.png[/img][/url] [font=georgia][size=5]Farrow, [i]The Navigator[/i][/size][/font] Clever | Persuasive | Affable Level 11 It can be exceptionally difficult to get a word in edgewise with Farrow, and there's a high chance she makes it that way purposefully. Farrow knows how to get what she wants and has a way of making others feel as if they are privileged to be able to provide it for her. She also knows how to bring people together and plans to fruition; there would be no [i]Disenchantress[/i], no crew, without her setting the situation into motion, and the silent agreement that the entire crew is in her debt looms over the ship. [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=58419994][img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/584200/58419994_350.png[/img][/url] [font=georgia][size=5]Sadeas, [i]The Quartermaster[/i][/size][/font] Stern | Disciplined | Tolerant Level 11 A former smuggler, Sadeas is arguably the crewmember with the highest level of experience and professionalism aboard [i]The Disenchantress[/i]. While stern and inexpressive, he is also quite empathetic with the crew, and has the makings of an excellent Quartermaster. [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=58434445][img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/584345/58434445_350.png[/img][/url] [font=georgia][size=5]Islwyn, [i]The Boatswain[/i][/size][/font] Shy | Melancholic | Dreamy Level 10 Islwyn came to the ship solely on Farrow's recommendation, her experience at sea apparently zero and her experience in adult life perhaps the same. She seems constantly faraway and oblivious, but she is a very difficult card to read -- is she indeed so airy and daft, or is it a ploy? Either way, the other crewmembers are too intimidated by her Fiendcat to ask many questions of her. [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=58311623][img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/583117/58311623_350.png[/img][/url] [font=georgia][size=5]Fyodr, [i]The Cook[/i][/size][/font] Prudent | Affable | Practical Level 7 After seeing a long line of hopeful recruits be turned away at the inn at which he cooked by Captain Jasnah and Quartermaster Sadeas, Fyodr shrugged and decided to toss his own hat into the ring. Though he didn't seem to take the tasks they set him to seriously, they nonetheless found him impressively competent, quite to their surprise. [font=georgia][size=5]Familiars[/size][/font] [item=Auburn woolly walrus] [item=budwing Morpho] [item=Fiendcat] [item=firemane Manticore] [item=ghost manticore] [item=Maren Warlock] [item=moonbeam crayfish][item=ringlet amphithere] [item=storm seeker] [font=georgia][size=5]Hoard[/size][/font] [item=earthsong haori][item=skin: shadow serpent][/center]

Swashbuckler's Cutlass Busted Wheel Frame
The Crew

58422916_350.png
Jasnah, The Captain

Driven | Stoic | Loyal
Level 13

Recently released from prison after being scapegoated by her captain for a burglary, Jasnah is ready to return to the buccaneer's life, but this time with a crew of her own. In Jasnah's estimation, honesty, loyalty, and fraternity are the keys to a successful and profitable crew.

Net Profit: -19,619 | 0

58464233_350.png
Farrow, The Navigator
Clever | Persuasive | Affable
Level 11

It can be exceptionally difficult to get a word in edgewise with Farrow, and there's a high chance she makes it that way purposefully. Farrow knows how to get what she wants and has a way of making others feel as if they are privileged to be able to provide it for her. She also knows how to bring people together and plans to fruition; there would be no Disenchantress, no crew, without her setting the situation into motion, and the silent agreement that the entire crew is in her debt looms over the ship.

58419994_350.png
Sadeas, The Quartermaster
Stern | Disciplined | Tolerant
Level 11

A former smuggler, Sadeas is arguably the crewmember with the highest level of experience and professionalism aboard The Disenchantress. While stern and inexpressive, he is also quite empathetic with the crew, and has the makings of an excellent Quartermaster.

58434445_350.png
Islwyn, The Boatswain
Shy | Melancholic | Dreamy
Level 10

Islwyn came to the ship solely on Farrow's recommendation, her experience at sea apparently zero and her experience in adult life perhaps the same. She seems constantly faraway and oblivious, but she is a very difficult card to read -- is she indeed so airy and daft, or is it a ploy? Either way, the other crewmembers are too intimidated by her Fiendcat to ask many questions of her.

58311623_350.png
Fyodr, The Cook
Prudent | Affable | Practical
Level 7

After seeing a long line of hopeful recruits be turned away at the inn at which he cooked by Captain Jasnah and Quartermaster Sadeas, Fyodr shrugged and decided to toss his own hat into the ring. Though he didn't seem to take the tasks they set him to seriously, they nonetheless found him impressively competent, quite to their surprise.

Familiars
Auburn Woolly Walrus Budwing Morpho Fiendcat Firemane Manticore Ghost Manticore Maren Warlock Moonbeam Crayfish Ringlet Amphithere Storm Seeker

Hoard
Earthsong Haori Skin: Shadow Serpent
qd7QmLu.png

the shatterglass sanctum
they/them | 28

[center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_2807834]Introduction[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41920245]Rules[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41921306]The Crew[/url] | Captain's Log [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41921952]Former Crew[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41922276]Pertinent Headcanon[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41922571]Miscellany[/url] [item=swashbuckler's seaspray cap] [item=aged tome] [item=tallow candle] [font=georgia][size=6]Captain's Log[/size][/font][/center] [font=georgia][size=5]Captain Jasnah[/size][/font] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41922959]Prologue[/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834/2#post_49377004]001[/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834/2#post_49377303]002[/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834/2#post_49379007]003[/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834/2#post_49403439]004[/url]

Swashbuckler's Seaspray Cap Aged Tome Tallow Candle
Captain's Log
Captain Jasnah
Prologue
qd7QmLu.png

the shatterglass sanctum
they/them | 28

[center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_2807834]Introduction[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41920245]Rules[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41921306]The Crew[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41921866]Captain's Log[/url] Former Crew | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41922276]Pertinent Headcanon[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41922571]Miscellany[/url] [item=hourglass] [item=weathered grimoire] [item=ceremonial scythe] [font=georgia][size=6]Former Crew[/size][/font][/center] [font=georgia][size=5]Former Captains[/size][/font] None yet. [font=georgia][size=5]Former Crewmembers[/size][/font][center][url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=58359712][img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/583598/58359712_350.png[/img][/url] [font=georgia][size=5]Surana, [i]Sea Witch[/i][/size][/font] Languid | Sophisticated | Otherworldly[/center] There was certainly a mystical air around Surana, and this coupled with her perpetual leisurely smile and attitude could be rather intimidating in itself. Perhaps that's why the crew didn't ask any questions [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834/2#post_49377004]when Surana calmly sauntered over to them and informed them that she would be joining their party[/url]. The other crewmembers knew nothing of this enigmatic sorceress -- and they weren't sure they really wanted to, anyway -- but [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834/2#post_49377303]since she was cut down by hired guards aboard a merchant vessel they attempted to raid[/url], her secrets will remain with her, beneath the waves.

Hourglass Weathered Grimoire Ceremonial Scythe
Former Crew
Former Captains
None yet.

Former Crewmembers
58359712_350.png
Surana, Sea Witch
Languid | Sophisticated | Otherworldly
There was certainly a mystical air around Surana, and this coupled with her perpetual leisurely smile and attitude could be rather intimidating in itself. Perhaps that's why the crew didn't ask any questions when Surana calmly sauntered over to them and informed them that she would be joining their party. The other crewmembers knew nothing of this enigmatic sorceress -- and they weren't sure they really wanted to, anyway -- but since she was cut down by hired guards aboard a merchant vessel they attempted to raid, her secrets will remain with her, beneath the waves.
qd7QmLu.png

the shatterglass sanctum
they/them | 28

Pertinent Headcanon
Authorities
Each of the deity's domains has peacekeepers who serve as the authorities as necessary, dragons exalted to that deity who have been tasked with this work as part of their service. Those in violation of the law are turned over to these peacekeepers for arrest, and must serve their time before being released. Each region has different laws, due to the varied personalities and foci of the Eleven. What might be a shocking crime within the Sunbeam Ruins or Windswept Plateau could be part of daily life in the Tangled Wood or the Scarred Wasteland.

Pertinent Headcanon
Authorities
Each of the deity's domains has peacekeepers who serve as the authorities as necessary, dragons exalted to that deity who have been tasked with this work as part of their service. Those in violation of the law are turned over to these peacekeepers for arrest, and must serve their time before being released. Each region has different laws, due to the varied personalities and foci of the Eleven. What might be a shocking crime within the Sunbeam Ruins or Windswept Plateau could be part of daily life in the Tangled Wood or the Scarred Wasteland.
qd7QmLu.png

the shatterglass sanctum
they/them | 28

[center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_2807834]Introduction[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41920245]Rules[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41921306]The Crew[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41921866]Captain's Log[/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41921952]Former Crew[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807834#post_41922276]Pertinent Headcanon[/url] | Miscellany [item=tidelord seashell decoration] [font=georgia][size=6]Miscellany[/size][/font][/center] [font=georgia][size=5]Other Fodderlockes[/size][/font] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807512]I tried to start a Fodderlocke[/url] by [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/clan-profile/460190]Wholesome[/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807924]The Tumbleweed Gang[/url] by [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/clan-profile/379235]TheAwesoMew[/url] [font=georgia][size=5]Credits[/size][/font] [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&tab=userpage&id=48487]Squidragon[/url] - For [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2806527]the original Fodderlocke Challenge[/url]. [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&tab=userpage&id=264790]Alphazi[/url], [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/clan-profile/249180]Nelson[/url], [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/clan-profile/379235]TheAwesoMew[/url] - For their modification ideas at [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2806527]the Fodderlocke hub[/url]. [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/clan-profile/212075]GrinningWolf24[/url] - For their modified rule [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2810481]in their Fodderlocke[/url] about deity-related Coliseum drops. [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/clan-profile/214841]Weredogalism[/url] - For their modified rule [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2807001]in their Fodderlocke[/url] about completing the challenge upon reaching 1,000,000 treasure.

Tidelord Seashell Decoration
Miscellany
Other Fodderlockes
I tried to start a Fodderlocke by Wholesome
The Tumbleweed Gang by TheAwesoMew

Credits
Squidragon - For the original Fodderlocke Challenge.

Alphazi, Nelson, TheAwesoMew - For their modification ideas at the Fodderlocke hub.

GrinningWolf24 - For their modified rule in their Fodderlocke about deity-related Coliseum drops.

Weredogalism - For their modified rule in their Fodderlocke about completing the challenge upon reaching 1,000,000 treasure.
qd7QmLu.png

the shatterglass sanctum
they/them | 28

[center][item=swashbuckler's seaspray cap] [item=aged tome] [item=tallow candle][/center]
qd7QmLu.png

the shatterglass sanctum
they/them | 28

[center][item=swashbuckler's seaspray cap] [item=aged tome] [item=tallow candle][/center]
qd7QmLu.png

the shatterglass sanctum
they/them | 28

[center][font=georgia][size=6]Prologue[/size][/font] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/58422916][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/584230/58422916.png[/img][/url][/center] It's been a long while since I've been out at sea -- three years, the ‘keepers told me, let out two years early for good behavior -- but I’m ready to get my sea-legs again. So much time spent in one place -- Wind wanderlust calls me to the open ocean and exciting new shores. This time, though, I won’t allow myself to be anyone’s pawn. I am far more worthy of leadership than that lousy, deceitful “captain” ever was. How can a captain penalize desertion but not display that same amount of loyalty to the crew? Even when no one else remained faithful, Farrow always did. She left Vennith’s crew after that last robbery turned sour, and we maintained correspondence throughout my imprisonment. The peacekeepers released me at a crossroads outside the Mirrorlight Promenade, and I wrote to Farrow as soon as I was settled in an inn in the nearby small town. After the initial congratulations and news, she told me about a ship she’d managed to procure -- how, of course, she left to my imagination, but one has to assume it wasn’t with a sackful of treasure -- an attractive sloop with excellent maneuverability, she wrote, highly efficient on the wind and small enough to be operated by even a humbly-sized crew. She said that we had mistreatment in common; the last captain of the vessel apparently abandoned her off the southern coast of the Shifting Expanse in the midst of a lightning storm and had never returned for her, and subsequently retired (or “retired”) from a life of piracy. This bit of history earned her her latest name, [i]The Disenchantress[/i]. The ship’s now docked off the western shore of the Reedcleft Ascent. I’m on my way to meeting both Farrow and the ship she promises will become my new beloved mistress now. I’m about halfway, currently passing through the Tsunami Flats. I could likely be making better speed if I chose travel by flight over foot, and it does feel good to stretch my wings after years spent under the peacekeepers’ watch, but I’ve never had much of a knack or passion for it. While fording the river that cuts through the Sunbeam Ruins right on the western edge of the Hewn City, I found this book open and face-down in the water. It had no markings on the cover, so I assumed it to be a journal, but upon nudging it out of the water and flicking through it with a talon, noticed that none of the pages bore any markings, either; they must have been washed away in the river. Some might consider it ill-advised to take anything from the cursed city, but no treasure-hunter ever gained anything with that attitude. [center]---[/center] I've just had a fortuitous encounter with a taciturn fellow Imperial by the name of Sadeas. After writing yesterday afternoon under the sun, I decided to take refuge in a nearby public lair, a sort of cavernous inn warmed by hot springs within the Tsunami Flats. “Another out-of-place Imperial, I see,” I said, taking him in. He was sitting before a tankard of some sort of drink and a bowl of clams, which he was deftly cracking open with his long claws. [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/58419994][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/584200/58419994.png[/img][/url][/center] “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he responded. “My work brings me to these shores often.” The shimmering Imperial paused for a moment, cracking open some clams in the meantime. “I’m in oceanic transportation.” “Oh? I’m in the sea transportation business, as well -- or was, prior to serving my time.” He turned towards me for the first time then, an eyebrow cocked. I watched him slowly study me before returning to his clams. “And what is it you were transporting, then?” “Oh, you know.” “Indeed.” The barkeep brought me my own tankard then, and we sat and sipped for a while, the silence only broken by the low murmurs of other dragons in the public lair and the periodic cracking of clamshells. “I’m on my way to see about a new ship, actually. Embark on a new business venture.” [center]---[/center] After Sadeas silently expressed his displeasure about the idea of walking enough times, I begrudgingly relented to flying for the final leg of the journey. I can't deny the journey went much faster from then on out, but I won't say I enjoyed it. Farrow had informed me that she was staying at the Murkdweller Inn, a shabby wooden structure popular with travelers wishing for discretion. We arrived mid-day, so after reserving rooms and making some inquiries, went out to find her. A stocky old Snapper told us that she frequents the nearby dockyard, and sure enough, we found that she had managed to talk the owner of the dockyard into providing her with an entire structure to herself, which she had also convinced him never to enter. The lock hung open on the hinges of the wide-swinging door, so we pushed the creaking, salt-water-logged door open slowly (and cautiously -- I would not put it past Farrow to set traps within her property; in fact, I'd be surprised if she never had). We heard clinking and voices that abruptly stopped when the door made our presence known, and saw a white cloth get thrown over an unrecognizable metallic pile and Farrow's feathery soot-colored head pop up a moment later, her dark feathers masking the grit on her face, but her emerald opal spots betraying her with their layer of grime. She stared blankly in our direction until deciding to take her filth-covered goggles off, at which point recognition occurred immediately and she zoomed over to us across the lengthy boathouse, colliding with me and swirling me off my feet affectionately. [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/58464233][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/584643/58464233.png[/img][/url][/center] “Jasnah, darling! I can hardly contain my excitement. You look wonderful -- those hellish ‘keepers haven’t done a thing to your devilish good looks!” She eyed Sadeas as she brought us back down to the cracked stone floor. “And speaking of, who is this gentleman?" Sadeas gave her a nod, but did not take his wary eyes off her. “Sadeas. Business associate.” I stumbled as Farrow gave my side a hard nudge. “So that must mean you’re here to take me up on my business offer, then, eh?” I didn’t get a chance to respond -- more clinking from back where she’d emerged drew her attention to the other Imperial in the building, a lanky female whose coloring reminded me of vanilla ice cream topped with chocolate and raspberries. [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/57743590][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/577436/57743590.png[/img][/url][/center] “Come, put that away, Trill! While we’re speaking business, friends, I would like for you to meet Trill. She has been my partner through many business arrangements and dealings, and I’m sure we’ll be in contact with her many times throughout our new enterprise. She’s a traveling merchant with many connections throughout Sornieth -- and a clever young thing to boot.” “Pleasure, folks,” Trill added once she’d made her way over, handling Farrow’s compliments a bit awkwardly, which was a mark in her favor: she was clearly too humble and self-unassuming for all of Farrow’s chatter. Farrow only humiliated her for a few moments longer, regaling us with some of the unlikely sales and trades Trill had accomplished for her, obscure items she’d procured for Farrow and traceable loot she’d managed to make disappear for an impressive profit. Indeed, someone of Trill’s connections and talents will be immensely valuable to have as an ally and intermediary buyer. [center]---[/center] Sadeas and I mocked up our Articles of Agreement last night over more drinks (and he’s beginning to sell me on the clams, too), and we each made our marks at sunrise this morning in the salty air outside Farrow’s boathouse while the seagulls and albatross greeted the sun. Farrow brought our new Boatswain, Islwyn, whose scales glimmered in the morning sun but who seemed to lack their luster herself, what with her drooped shoulders and skittish behavior. [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/58434445][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/584345/58434445.png[/img][/url][/center] She was also the only one of us to hesitate in making her mark. When she’d hesitated so long that all our eyes were upon her, she asked timidly, “So is this, like, a pirate code?” Fortunately Sadeas was on my other side, so it’s unlikely she heard him groan, and Farrow was quick to step in. “Yes, precisely like that -- aren’t you a clever one? What a life of adventure you’re embarking upon! Now, just go ahead and sign…” [center]---[/center] When we were through the formalities, I wandered the docks for a while and eventually came across Islwyn, who was watching the sea with far-away eyes and seemed to sigh on-cue with the rolling of the waves. Sadeas sauntered over to me after some time, in that dignified way of his, as if he's trying to express his condescension for the whole world through his gait. “Are you sure about this one?” he murmured, quietly taking a place by my side to scrutinize her with me. I shrugged, hoping to feign indifference and mask my own concerns. “Farrow vouched for her, so I'm sure she'll show promise. At some point.” Sadeas shook his head and ruffled his sun-yellow wings. “You place too much faith in that Skydancer.” I could feel my ears flushing pink, but said nothing. I can’t deny it -- Farrow and I have history. And if I don’t place my faith in those worthy of it, I’ll wind up the same sort of captain as the one that landed me in the clink. That, I refuse.
Prologue

58422916.png
It's been a long while since I've been out at sea -- three years, the ‘keepers told me, let out two years early for good behavior -- but I’m ready to get my sea-legs again. So much time spent in one place -- Wind wanderlust calls me to the open ocean and exciting new shores. This time, though, I won’t allow myself to be anyone’s pawn. I am far more worthy of leadership than that lousy, deceitful “captain” ever was. How can a captain penalize desertion but not display that same amount of loyalty to the crew?

Even when no one else remained faithful, Farrow always did. She left Vennith’s crew after that last robbery turned sour, and we maintained correspondence throughout my imprisonment. The peacekeepers released me at a crossroads outside the Mirrorlight Promenade, and I wrote to Farrow as soon as I was settled in an inn in the nearby small town. After the initial congratulations and news, she told me about a ship she’d managed to procure -- how, of course, she left to my imagination, but one has to assume it wasn’t with a sackful of treasure -- an attractive sloop with excellent maneuverability, she wrote, highly efficient on the wind and small enough to be operated by even a humbly-sized crew. She said that we had mistreatment in common; the last captain of the vessel apparently abandoned her off the southern coast of the Shifting Expanse in the midst of a lightning storm and had never returned for her, and subsequently retired (or “retired”) from a life of piracy. This bit of history earned her her latest name, The Disenchantress.

The ship’s now docked off the western shore of the Reedcleft Ascent. I’m on my way to meeting both Farrow and the ship she promises will become my new beloved mistress now. I’m about halfway, currently passing through the Tsunami Flats. I could likely be making better speed if I chose travel by flight over foot, and it does feel good to stretch my wings after years spent under the peacekeepers’ watch, but I’ve never had much of a knack or passion for it.

While fording the river that cuts through the Sunbeam Ruins right on the western edge of the Hewn City, I found this book open and face-down in the water. It had no markings on the cover, so I assumed it to be a journal, but upon nudging it out of the water and flicking through it with a talon, noticed that none of the pages bore any markings, either; they must have been washed away in the river. Some might consider it ill-advised to take anything from the cursed city, but no treasure-hunter ever gained anything with that attitude.
---
I've just had a fortuitous encounter with a taciturn fellow Imperial by the name of Sadeas. After writing yesterday afternoon under the sun, I decided to take refuge in a nearby public lair, a sort of cavernous inn warmed by hot springs within the Tsunami Flats.

“Another out-of-place Imperial, I see,” I said, taking him in. He was sitting before a tankard of some sort of drink and a bowl of clams, which he was deftly cracking open with his long claws.
58419994.png
“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he responded. “My work brings me to these shores often.” The shimmering Imperial paused for a moment, cracking open some clams in the meantime. “I’m in oceanic transportation.”

“Oh? I’m in the sea transportation business, as well -- or was, prior to serving my time.”

He turned towards me for the first time then, an eyebrow cocked. I watched him slowly study me before returning to his clams. “And what is it you were transporting, then?”

“Oh, you know.”

“Indeed.”

The barkeep brought me my own tankard then, and we sat and sipped for a while, the silence only broken by the low murmurs of other dragons in the public lair and the periodic cracking of clamshells.

“I’m on my way to see about a new ship, actually. Embark on a new business venture.”
---
After Sadeas silently expressed his displeasure about the idea of walking enough times, I begrudgingly relented to flying for the final leg of the journey. I can't deny the journey went much faster from then on out, but I won't say I enjoyed it.

Farrow had informed me that she was staying at the Murkdweller Inn, a shabby wooden structure popular with travelers wishing for discretion. We arrived mid-day, so after reserving rooms and making some inquiries, went out to find her. A stocky old Snapper told us that she frequents the nearby dockyard, and sure enough, we found that she had managed to talk the owner of the dockyard into providing her with an entire structure to herself, which she had also convinced him never to enter.

The lock hung open on the hinges of the wide-swinging door, so we pushed the creaking, salt-water-logged door open slowly (and cautiously -- I would not put it past Farrow to set traps within her property; in fact, I'd be surprised if she never had). We heard clinking and voices that abruptly stopped when the door made our presence known, and saw a white cloth get thrown over an unrecognizable metallic pile and Farrow's feathery soot-colored head pop up a moment later, her dark feathers masking the grit on her face, but her emerald opal spots betraying her with their layer of grime. She stared blankly in our direction until deciding to take her filth-covered goggles off, at which point recognition occurred immediately and she zoomed over to us across the lengthy boathouse, colliding with me and swirling me off my feet affectionately.
58464233.png
“Jasnah, darling! I can hardly contain my excitement. You look wonderful -- those hellish ‘keepers haven’t done a thing to your devilish good looks!” She eyed Sadeas as she brought us back down to the cracked stone floor. “And speaking of, who is this gentleman?"

Sadeas gave her a nod, but did not take his wary eyes off her. “Sadeas. Business associate.”

I stumbled as Farrow gave my side a hard nudge. “So that must mean you’re here to take me up on my business offer, then, eh?”

I didn’t get a chance to respond -- more clinking from back where she’d emerged drew her attention to the other Imperial in the building, a lanky female whose coloring reminded me of vanilla ice cream topped with chocolate and raspberries.
57743590.png
“Come, put that away, Trill! While we’re speaking business, friends, I would like for you to meet Trill. She has been my partner through many business arrangements and dealings, and I’m sure we’ll be in contact with her many times throughout our new enterprise. She’s a traveling merchant with many connections throughout Sornieth -- and a clever young thing to boot.”

“Pleasure, folks,” Trill added once she’d made her way over, handling Farrow’s compliments a bit awkwardly, which was a mark in her favor: she was clearly too humble and self-unassuming for all of Farrow’s chatter. Farrow only humiliated her for a few moments longer, regaling us with some of the unlikely sales and trades Trill had accomplished for her, obscure items she’d procured for Farrow and traceable loot she’d managed to make disappear for an impressive profit. Indeed, someone of Trill’s connections and talents will be immensely valuable to have as an ally and intermediary buyer.
---
Sadeas and I mocked up our Articles of Agreement last night over more drinks (and he’s beginning to sell me on the clams, too), and we each made our marks at sunrise this morning in the salty air outside Farrow’s boathouse while the seagulls and albatross greeted the sun. Farrow brought our new Boatswain, Islwyn, whose scales glimmered in the morning sun but who seemed to lack their luster herself, what with her drooped shoulders and skittish behavior.
58434445.png

She was also the only one of us to hesitate in making her mark. When she’d hesitated so long that all our eyes were upon her, she asked timidly, “So is this, like, a pirate code?” Fortunately Sadeas was on my other side, so it’s unlikely she heard him groan, and Farrow was quick to step in.

“Yes, precisely like that -- aren’t you a clever one? What a life of adventure you’re embarking upon! Now, just go ahead and sign…”
---
When we were through the formalities, I wandered the docks for a while and eventually came across Islwyn, who was watching the sea with far-away eyes and seemed to sigh on-cue with the rolling of the waves. Sadeas sauntered over to me after some time, in that dignified way of his, as if he's trying to express his condescension for the whole world through his gait.

“Are you sure about this one?” he murmured, quietly taking a place by my side to scrutinize her with me.

I shrugged, hoping to feign indifference and mask my own concerns. “Farrow vouched for her, so I'm sure she'll show promise. At some point.”

Sadeas shook his head and ruffled his sun-yellow wings. “You place too much faith in that Skydancer.”

I could feel my ears flushing pink, but said nothing. I can’t deny it -- Farrow and I have history. And if I don’t place my faith in those worthy of it, I’ll wind up the same sort of captain as the one that landed me in the clink. That, I refuse.
qd7QmLu.png

the shatterglass sanctum
they/them | 28

1 2