Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | the Revolving Door: a Fodderlocke
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
@GrinningWolf24 it's a day off, so guess who's getting in multiple rolls today! yep, it me. our next roll is 9: scandal brewing! i find it really interesting that we've gotten all three of the recruiting task numbers and a majority of the rest, including some repeats, yet i can't recall landing a crimes time roll. of course, it's not like we haven't had plenty of opportunities to lose cast members, so it's mostly evened out. anyway, i just realized i forgot to roll for the sisters last time. we get: 62 and 88. so they passed that one, and if they roll less than 60 this time, it'll all fall apart. that's for the one i just did when they recruited Windstrike; the following roll is for this task. we get: 14, 50. yep, it was only a matter of time. i'll give Scorpio heads and Ferri tails and go with a best two out of three for the coin flips. here goes! we get: two heads and a tails. Scorpio survives the fight and Ferrilata loses. so, with that out of the way, on to the actual task roll. since the only RTB derg we have at the moment is Strike, i'll just do the same thing i did with the gaoler sisters. meet Larissa and Lyre! [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=58635249][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/586353/58635249p.png[/img][/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=58635250][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/586353/58635250p.png[/img][/url] [center]~ ~ ~ ~ ~[/center] Ferrilata had become the go-to recruiter, since she was, on the whole, better with people than her sister. The rest had noticed that things had been strained between the pair since the heist gone wrong; but then, things were strained among all of them, so that was nothing surprising. Things came to a head when Ferrilata returned from what was meant to be another recruiting mission with two hatchling nocturnes clinging to her mane. Scorpio fixed her sister with a hard look. "Dare I ask?" Ferri sat back so she could gather the two into her arms. "I found them wandering around lost. Nobody would even look at them. Remember Betelgeuse saying he found us at the auctions? I didn't want them to suffer that fate. Not as babies." Scorpio rolled her eyes. But before she could say anything scathing, Ferri bristled. "What, are you gonna tell me we can't keep them? The way Alnair and the others were always giving Betelgeuse crap for us being there?" "No. I wasn't." Scorpio's voice was flat. "But I wish you'd thought about it before you brought them home. We barely have the resources to feed ourselves, much less those two. And what if something bad happens to us? Like almost just happened? Are we going to do to them what Betelgeuse did to us?" "No!" Ferri looked like she wanted to lunge or pace, but remembered the hatchlings in her arms at the last moment. Gently, she put them down. The frightened nocturnes huddled together, hiding their faces in each other's wings. "We are [i]not[/i] going to do that to them. Wasn't that the whole point of the meeting the other day? Or did you even believe anything you were saying?" Scorpio's tail lashed violently behind her. "I did. But I also believe that being prepared for bad outcomes is as important as for good ones. And I believe in using the brains the gods gave us before doing something like adopting random lost children! What if they just got separated from their family, and as we speak, someone is putting out a lost child notice for these two?" While the sisters argued, the two nocturnes began inching away from the growling, snapping gaolers. Neither Scorpio nor Ferri noticed that slow creep; nor did they notice when the nocturnes reached the door and slipped through. This place was nothing like home. Home was safe in the tangled labyrinth of thorns; this place stank of metal and stale air and rattled with thunder. The thunder was so loud! Lyre and Larissa stayed close to the wall as they stumbled down the corridor, peering through any open doorway to find a safe space. Finally, they found one! A loose vent cover allowed them to slip through into the disused ventilation shaft. They couldn't climb up when the shaft took a right angle turn to go vertical, but at least they could pretend they were back in the nest at home, hiding from a thunderstorm. It was nice and dark in here and didn't smell so bad. The shouting and, eventually, bellows, drew the attention of Thia, Recital, and Strike. They ran toward the source of the noise to find Ferrilata pinned to the floor on her back, rabbit-kicking Scorpio's belly in a desperate attempt to throw off the bigger gaoler. Scorpio ignored the great clumps of fur coming away with Ferri's claws and bore more weight down on her sister. Windstrike waded into the fray at once, throwing xir prodigious weight into Scorpio to knock her off. Ferrilata scrambled to her feet and looked as though she would duck around Strike, except that Recital and Thia grabbed a wing and a tail to stop her. "This is none of your business!" Scorpio roared, hackles up and teeth bared at Windstrike. "Get out of my way!" "What happened to all that talk of staying together?" Recital shot back. Their grip tightened on Ferri's wing. That made Ferrilata flinch. She subsided, head drooping, as much from shame as from her labored breath and trembling body. Scorpio only barked a scathing laugh. "What [i]did[/i] happen, hm, Ferri? Who was it who struck the first blow?" "You did," Ferrilata growled, though she did not look up. "You goaded me. Don't pretend you didn't." "Goaded you?" Scorpio spat onto the floor. It was tinged with blood. "All I did was talk sense." "Callous," Ferri snarled, head finally rising. "Cold and heartless sense, yes! And don't think I can't see what you're doing here. Don't let her manipulate you into thinking I'm the bad guy, you all." Scorpio scoffed. "Manipulate? Please! You're the one who was jumping to the assumption I was going to throw out those kids [i]you[/i] thoughtlessly brought back, without even waiting for me to say what I thought!" She glanced around. "And I wonder where they went while [i]you[/i] were picking a fight with me." The others looked around, too, most in confusion; all except Windstrike, who kept xir attention focused on the sisters. Recital asked, hesitantly, "What kids? Where?" "They were wandering around lost!" Ferri cried, a hint of desperation in her voice. "I couldn't leave them!" Seeing that the restraint wasn't as necessary, Thia let go of Ferrilata's tail. "I'll go find them. What do they look like?" "Nocturnes," Scorpio supplied before Ferri could. "Green and orange. [i]Very[/i] young." "What were very young nocturne hatchlings doing alone?" Recital asked the room. "Did you see if their parents were nearby?" Scorpio asked pointedly. Her view was still mostly blocked by Windstrike, whom she deliberately did not try to get around, but it was obvious she was speaking to her sister. "No. I looked around, but there was no one who looked like they could be their parents. And everyone else there ignored them." Ferri straightened and looked at Recital. "Would [i]you[/i] have left them alone?" "No." There was reservation in the guardian's tone, if not in their words. Scorpio said it. [i]"But,[/i] there were other options besides carting them off. Did you even consider doing something like, I don't know, taking them to the nearest Interior Security station? They wouldn't have any of our descriptions since the outpost we hit was using automata instead of people to guard it, and they'd be in a better position to find the kids' parents." "How do you know they wouldn't have our descriptions?" Ferrilata shot back. "Don't those automata keep records of what they see or something?" "Not really, not outside the Tempest Spire. Though we can't count on that anymore," Thia said as she rejoined the group. The two nocturnes were hiding under her cupped wings. "I agree with Scorpio on this. This isn't the place for hatchlings." Ferrilata wrenched herself out of Recital's grip. "Fine, I [i]am[/i] the bad guy! All the blame falls on me." Her voice was bitter. "I won't burden any of you with my troublesome presence anymore." She turned and ran - rather, limped hurriedly - out of the room. Recital took off after her, calling her name. When they returned, Recital reported losing Ferrilata's trail shortly after leaving the hideout. [right][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2806872#post_41896533]back to table of contents[/url][/right]
@GrinningWolf24

it's a day off, so guess who's getting in multiple rolls today! yep, it me. our next roll is 9: scandal brewing! i find it really interesting that we've gotten all three of the recruiting task numbers and a majority of the rest, including some repeats, yet i can't recall landing a crimes time roll. of course, it's not like we haven't had plenty of opportunities to lose cast members, so it's mostly evened out.

anyway, i just realized i forgot to roll for the sisters last time. we get: 62 and 88. so they passed that one, and if they roll less than 60 this time, it'll all fall apart. that's for the one i just did when they recruited Windstrike; the following roll is for this task.

we get: 14, 50. yep, it was only a matter of time. i'll give Scorpio heads and Ferri tails and go with a best two out of three for the coin flips. here goes! we get: two heads and a tails. Scorpio survives the fight and Ferrilata loses.

so, with that out of the way, on to the actual task roll. since the only RTB derg we have at the moment is Strike, i'll just do the same thing i did with the gaoler sisters. meet Larissa and Lyre!

58635249p.png 58635250p.png
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Ferrilata had become the go-to recruiter, since she was, on the whole, better with people than her sister. The rest had noticed that things had been strained between the pair since the heist gone wrong; but then, things were strained among all of them, so that was nothing surprising.

Things came to a head when Ferrilata returned from what was meant to be another recruiting mission with two hatchling nocturnes clinging to her mane. Scorpio fixed her sister with a hard look. "Dare I ask?"

Ferri sat back so she could gather the two into her arms. "I found them wandering around lost. Nobody would even look at them. Remember Betelgeuse saying he found us at the auctions? I didn't want them to suffer that fate. Not as babies."

Scorpio rolled her eyes. But before she could say anything scathing, Ferri bristled. "What, are you gonna tell me we can't keep them? The way Alnair and the others were always giving Betelgeuse crap for us being there?"

"No. I wasn't." Scorpio's voice was flat. "But I wish you'd thought about it before you brought them home. We barely have the resources to feed ourselves, much less those two. And what if something bad happens to us? Like almost just happened? Are we going to do to them what Betelgeuse did to us?"

"No!" Ferri looked like she wanted to lunge or pace, but remembered the hatchlings in her arms at the last moment. Gently, she put them down. The frightened nocturnes huddled together, hiding their faces in each other's wings. "We are not going to do that to them. Wasn't that the whole point of the meeting the other day? Or did you even believe anything you were saying?"

Scorpio's tail lashed violently behind her. "I did. But I also believe that being prepared for bad outcomes is as important as for good ones. And I believe in using the brains the gods gave us before doing something like adopting random lost children! What if they just got separated from their family, and as we speak, someone is putting out a lost child notice for these two?"

While the sisters argued, the two nocturnes began inching away from the growling, snapping gaolers. Neither Scorpio nor Ferri noticed that slow creep; nor did they notice when the nocturnes reached the door and slipped through.

This place was nothing like home. Home was safe in the tangled labyrinth of thorns; this place stank of metal and stale air and rattled with thunder. The thunder was so loud! Lyre and Larissa stayed close to the wall as they stumbled down the corridor, peering through any open doorway to find a safe space.

Finally, they found one! A loose vent cover allowed them to slip through into the disused ventilation shaft. They couldn't climb up when the shaft took a right angle turn to go vertical, but at least they could pretend they were back in the nest at home, hiding from a thunderstorm. It was nice and dark in here and didn't smell so bad.

The shouting and, eventually, bellows, drew the attention of Thia, Recital, and Strike. They ran toward the source of the noise to find Ferrilata pinned to the floor on her back, rabbit-kicking Scorpio's belly in a desperate attempt to throw off the bigger gaoler. Scorpio ignored the great clumps of fur coming away with Ferri's claws and bore more weight down on her sister.

Windstrike waded into the fray at once, throwing xir prodigious weight into Scorpio to knock her off. Ferrilata scrambled to her feet and looked as though she would duck around Strike, except that Recital and Thia grabbed a wing and a tail to stop her.

"This is none of your business!" Scorpio roared, hackles up and teeth bared at Windstrike. "Get out of my way!"

"What happened to all that talk of staying together?" Recital shot back. Their grip tightened on Ferri's wing.

That made Ferrilata flinch. She subsided, head drooping, as much from shame as from her labored breath and trembling body. Scorpio only barked a scathing laugh. "What did happen, hm, Ferri? Who was it who struck the first blow?"

"You did," Ferrilata growled, though she did not look up. "You goaded me. Don't pretend you didn't."

"Goaded you?" Scorpio spat onto the floor. It was tinged with blood. "All I did was talk sense."

"Callous," Ferri snarled, head finally rising. "Cold and heartless sense, yes! And don't think I can't see what you're doing here. Don't let her manipulate you into thinking I'm the bad guy, you all."

Scorpio scoffed. "Manipulate? Please! You're the one who was jumping to the assumption I was going to throw out those kids you thoughtlessly brought back, without even waiting for me to say what I thought!" She glanced around. "And I wonder where they went while you were picking a fight with me."

The others looked around, too, most in confusion; all except Windstrike, who kept xir attention focused on the sisters. Recital asked, hesitantly, "What kids? Where?"

"They were wandering around lost!" Ferri cried, a hint of desperation in her voice. "I couldn't leave them!"

Seeing that the restraint wasn't as necessary, Thia let go of Ferrilata's tail. "I'll go find them. What do they look like?"

"Nocturnes," Scorpio supplied before Ferri could. "Green and orange. Very young."

"What were very young nocturne hatchlings doing alone?" Recital asked the room.

"Did you see if their parents were nearby?" Scorpio asked pointedly. Her view was still mostly blocked by Windstrike, whom she deliberately did not try to get around, but it was obvious she was speaking to her sister.

"No. I looked around, but there was no one who looked like they could be their parents. And everyone else there ignored them." Ferri straightened and looked at Recital. "Would you have left them alone?"

"No." There was reservation in the guardian's tone, if not in their words.

Scorpio said it. "But, there were other options besides carting them off. Did you even consider doing something like, I don't know, taking them to the nearest Interior Security station? They wouldn't have any of our descriptions since the outpost we hit was using automata instead of people to guard it, and they'd be in a better position to find the kids' parents."

"How do you know they wouldn't have our descriptions?" Ferrilata shot back. "Don't those automata keep records of what they see or something?"

"Not really, not outside the Tempest Spire. Though we can't count on that anymore," Thia said as she rejoined the group. The two nocturnes were hiding under her cupped wings. "I agree with Scorpio on this. This isn't the place for hatchlings."

Ferrilata wrenched herself out of Recital's grip. "Fine, I am the bad guy! All the blame falls on me." Her voice was bitter. "I won't burden any of you with my troublesome presence anymore." She turned and ran - rather, limped hurriedly - out of the room. Recital took off after her, calling her name.

When they returned, Recital reported losing Ferrilata's trail shortly after leaving the hideout.

hHEJ356.gif
5jalyiR.pngyesdxp5.pnghoHl8aR.pngO0XKT1G.pngeMBNBcv.png7kSLaUI.pngwOWKjsX.pngpab2ujj.pngZIv8N2a.png
DPSlXho.png
Oof. No more teamwork. That was a harsh way to go, but admittedly, we all knew this was going to come at some point. A hard welcome to the little nocturne kiddos as well. Hopefully they do better than the gaoler trio!
Oof. No more teamwork. That was a harsh way to go, but admittedly, we all knew this was going to come at some point. A hard welcome to the little nocturne kiddos as well. Hopefully they do better than the gaoler trio!
7wv9OeJ.png_E8BAgFT.png_wfPmarR.png_rrYlaAT.png_RQOAN3O.png
@GrinningWolf24

new day new roll! we get 8: crimes time! finally. now to RNG which two of these nerds will go on this mission. we get: Ginan and Clythia. be back when i've leveled them for the roll!

all right, they are both level 8. now to flip for them! once again, i'm doing a best of 3. heads they survive, tails they die. we get: two tails for Ginan and two heads for Clythia.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It took too long for Clythia to return from the resupply trip she and Ginan took. And she returned alone, wings trembling with fatigue and smelling faintly of ozone. She carried the scarlet mantle Ginan had last worn, the one he wore in honor of his sister.

Recital gave a grown of dismay as they hurried forward to the mirror. "What happened?"

Thia shook her head. "Storm. We should've known the flying conditions would get worse that close to the Tempest Spire. We did, sort of, but it's hard for us to understand just how bad. It was all right when we first went that way, but on the way back?" She shuddered. "Updrafts and downdrafts are almost worse than the lightning."

Scorpio sat down with a heavy sigh. "And I bet being weighed down with supplies didn't help. I'm sorry, Thia. We should've sent more than just you two."

Thia shook her head. "No, it's not your fault. Nobody but the Stormcatcher can control the weather around here." She unwrapped the scarf from about her shoulders and handed it to Recital. "Here. One of us should keep it, right?"

The guardian held the slightly tattered red fabric gently. "I suppose so," they said in a small voice.

@GrinningWolf24

new day new roll! we get 8: crimes time! finally. now to RNG which two of these nerds will go on this mission. we get: Ginan and Clythia. be back when i've leveled them for the roll!

all right, they are both level 8. now to flip for them! once again, i'm doing a best of 3. heads they survive, tails they die. we get: two tails for Ginan and two heads for Clythia.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It took too long for Clythia to return from the resupply trip she and Ginan took. And she returned alone, wings trembling with fatigue and smelling faintly of ozone. She carried the scarlet mantle Ginan had last worn, the one he wore in honor of his sister.

Recital gave a grown of dismay as they hurried forward to the mirror. "What happened?"

Thia shook her head. "Storm. We should've known the flying conditions would get worse that close to the Tempest Spire. We did, sort of, but it's hard for us to understand just how bad. It was all right when we first went that way, but on the way back?" She shuddered. "Updrafts and downdrafts are almost worse than the lightning."

Scorpio sat down with a heavy sigh. "And I bet being weighed down with supplies didn't help. I'm sorry, Thia. We should've sent more than just you two."

Thia shook her head. "No, it's not your fault. Nobody but the Stormcatcher can control the weather around here." She unwrapped the scarf from about her shoulders and handed it to Recital. "Here. One of us should keep it, right?"

The guardian held the slightly tattered red fabric gently. "I suppose so," they said in a small voice.

hHEJ356.gif
5jalyiR.pngyesdxp5.pnghoHl8aR.pngO0XKT1G.pngeMBNBcv.png7kSLaUI.pngwOWKjsX.pngpab2ujj.pngZIv8N2a.png
DPSlXho.png
@GrinningWolf24 still bored, so have another roll! it's 13: juvie! well then. time to grab a cheap hatchling. say hi to Violet! [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=58604257][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/586043/58604257p.png[/img][/url] [center]~ ~ ~ ~ ~[/center] While the adults were distracted talking about that spiral who'd been dashed out of the air by storm-born turbulence, Violet took the opportunity to slip out of his hideaway among the packs. He thought he was being sneaky, but he hadn't gotten far down the hall when a shaggy giant emerged from the room, took two steps, and brought a platelike paw down over him. Violet squealed in terror, certain he'd be crushed. Calloused pads, curved talons, and long, feathery fur curled around Violet in a cage - a cage that moved, first backwards then up and up and [i]up.[/i] It hadn't crushed him yet, but what was happening now?! Violet wasn't thinking anymore, just fluttering his wings in reflexive panic, shrieking. Then the movement stopped and the cage of talons opened. Violet huddled in place, trembling, while one eye framed by bangs regarded him. "Sshhh," the gaoler said. "You're fine." The gaoler's voice was hoarse, as if xe didn't use it much. The rasping tone didn't make Violet feel any better. How could he be fine? He'd been caught by this - this lumbering giant. What fate awaited him now that he'd been found? Another of the adults, the guardian, emerged from the room. "What's that sound?" The giant turned, fast enough that Violet had to hold to the rough pawpad for dear life, and held out the paw to which Violet clung. Recital squinted. When they saw the tiny fae hatchling hunched, quivering, in Windstrike's paw, they reeled their head back in surprise. "How did that little one get here?" The rest of the adults were filtering into the corridor now. The more of them arrived, the smaller Violet tried to make himself. He finally slid into the edge of Strike's palm-pad and tried to cram himself into the gap between it and the next pad. The gaoler made a strangled sound and xir paw wobbled alarmingly. Then it jerked down, almost dislodging Violet from his crevice. A much smaller, glossy and white, pair of paws reached in to scoop Violet free. "Careful, tiny. If you get tangled up in Strike's fluff, we'll never get you out." Thia extracted Violet and held him up, despite his struggling and squealing, to check him for injury. "Oh, calm down. No one's going to hurt you." "How...?" Scorpio asked, peering in bafflement at the tiny hatchling. Strike pointed to Thia, then in the direction of the room they just came from. When that didn't seem to help anyone, xe pantomimed opening a drawstring mouth, then pointed again. Thia brought the fae up to her face. "You stowed away in my pack, huh?" "Lemme go!" Violet shrilled. "Oho, so we [i]can[/i] talk!" Thia grinned at the wriggling hatchling. Recital stepped closer, lowering their head to get a better look at Violet. "Poor thing looks thin." Thia looked up, thinking to herself that Recital didn't have much room to talk about being thin. "Yeah. Honestly, if this little mite did stow away, I have no idea how or when. Maybe if we offer some nice tasty crickets, we can get some answers, hmm?" Violet tried not to react to that, really he did. He [i]was[/i] hungry, sure, but he couldn't trust any of these people. They would hurt him - everybody always did. Even if they didn't mean to. But he was so hungry... When Violet finally settled down, Scorpio stepped closer. "Let's at least get some food in you. Then we can decide what to do." Resignation and a kind of dismayed amusement colored down her voice. [right][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2806872#post_41896533]back to table of contents[/url][/right]
@GrinningWolf24
still bored, so have another roll! it's 13: juvie!

well then. time to grab a cheap hatchling. say hi to Violet!

58604257p.png
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

While the adults were distracted talking about that spiral who'd been dashed out of the air by storm-born turbulence, Violet took the opportunity to slip out of his hideaway among the packs.

He thought he was being sneaky, but he hadn't gotten far down the hall when a shaggy giant emerged from the room, took two steps, and brought a platelike paw down over him. Violet squealed in terror, certain he'd be crushed.

Calloused pads, curved talons, and long, feathery fur curled around Violet in a cage - a cage that moved, first backwards then up and up and up. It hadn't crushed him yet, but what was happening now?! Violet wasn't thinking anymore, just fluttering his wings in reflexive panic, shrieking.

Then the movement stopped and the cage of talons opened. Violet huddled in place, trembling, while one eye framed by bangs regarded him. "Sshhh," the gaoler said. "You're fine."

The gaoler's voice was hoarse, as if xe didn't use it much. The rasping tone didn't make Violet feel any better. How could he be fine? He'd been caught by this - this lumbering giant. What fate awaited him now that he'd been found?

Another of the adults, the guardian, emerged from the room. "What's that sound?"

The giant turned, fast enough that Violet had to hold to the rough pawpad for dear life, and held out the paw to which Violet clung. Recital squinted. When they saw the tiny fae hatchling hunched, quivering, in Windstrike's paw, they reeled their head back in surprise. "How did that little one get here?"

The rest of the adults were filtering into the corridor now. The more of them arrived, the smaller Violet tried to make himself. He finally slid into the edge of Strike's palm-pad and tried to cram himself into the gap between it and the next pad. The gaoler made a strangled sound and xir paw wobbled alarmingly.

Then it jerked down, almost dislodging Violet from his crevice. A much smaller, glossy and white, pair of paws reached in to scoop Violet free. "Careful, tiny. If you get tangled up in Strike's fluff, we'll never get you out." Thia extracted Violet and held him up, despite his struggling and squealing, to check him for injury. "Oh, calm down. No one's going to hurt you."

"How...?" Scorpio asked, peering in bafflement at the tiny hatchling.

Strike pointed to Thia, then in the direction of the room they just came from. When that didn't seem to help anyone, xe pantomimed opening a drawstring mouth, then pointed again.

Thia brought the fae up to her face. "You stowed away in my pack, huh?"

"Lemme go!" Violet shrilled.

"Oho, so we can talk!" Thia grinned at the wriggling hatchling.

Recital stepped closer, lowering their head to get a better look at Violet. "Poor thing looks thin."

Thia looked up, thinking to herself that Recital didn't have much room to talk about being thin. "Yeah. Honestly, if this little mite did stow away, I have no idea how or when. Maybe if we offer some nice tasty crickets, we can get some answers, hmm?"

Violet tried not to react to that, really he did. He was hungry, sure, but he couldn't trust any of these people. They would hurt him - everybody always did. Even if they didn't mean to. But he was so hungry...

When Violet finally settled down, Scorpio stepped closer. "Let's at least get some food in you. Then we can decide what to do." Resignation and a kind of dismayed amusement colored down her voice.

hHEJ356.gif
DPSlXho.png
Haha, oh gosh, more kiddos! Soon enough they are going to have to start an orphanage. X) Or, just turn into Fagin's gang. Or the Ravagers.

"Ya was skinny, quick hands- good for thievin'."
Haha, oh gosh, more kiddos! Soon enough they are going to have to start an orphanage. X) Or, just turn into Fagin's gang. Or the Ravagers.

"Ya was skinny, quick hands- good for thievin'."
random side tidbit because there's nothing i find more hilarious than the juxtaposition between itty bitty baby dragons and the fully grown large breeds. here's a rough comparison between Violet's size and Windstrike at the time Vio joined the crew: [center][img]https://imgur.com/Ue2kjvr.png[/img][/center]
random side tidbit because there's nothing i find more hilarious than the juxtaposition between itty bitty baby dragons and the fully grown large breeds. here's a rough comparison between Violet's size and Windstrike at the time Vio joined the crew:
Ue2kjvr.png
hHEJ356.gif
DPSlXho.png
Oh my gosh, that is crazy! Strike could sneeze and send Violet to the next territory! XD
Oh my gosh, that is crazy! Strike could sneeze and send Violet to the next territory! XD
@GrinningWolf24
right! either he could get sent across the Sea by a sneeze or get lost in Strike's mane, never to be seen again.
@GrinningWolf24
right! either he could get sent across the Sea by a sneeze or get lost in Strike's mane, never to be seen again.
hHEJ356.gif
DPSlXho.png
@GrinningWolf24

well this is appropriate. our roll is 3: bad weather.

nothing happens!
@GrinningWolf24

well this is appropriate. our roll is 3: bad weather.

nothing happens!
hHEJ356.gif
DPSlXho.png
@GrinningWolf24

all right, new roll time! we get 19, crimes time again! when it rains, it pours, evidently. the nerds selected for this trial ate Scorpio and Recital! time to bump them up and see who lives.

okay, they are now 10 and 8. time to flip! still doing best of three, heads they live. we get: ... three tails for Scorpio, and two tails for Recital. they both die. r i p
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Hours after Scorpio and Recital were meant to be back from their recon trip into harpy territory, Cythia went searching for Windstrike. She checked xir room; no Strike. She checked the old canteen where they still kept their food supplies; still no Strike. Finally, she went to the room where they had made nests for the youngsters. There was no one in there, but in the next room, where such toys and entertainment as they could find or make were set up for the hatchlings, she finally found Strike.

The gaoler was on the floor, feet tucked under xim until they disappeared into xir coat, making xim look like nothing so much as a giant hairball. Xe lifted xir head and turned it to look at Thia. Xir head tilted inquisitively. As it did, a pair of green-gold necks poked up from the fluff near the floor, where Thia assumed the nocturnes were nestled up against Strike's chest. A bit more movement among the gnarled points of Strike's antler showed Thia where Violet was.

If she hadn't been so worried, she would have grinned at the tableau. As it was, Thia made a beckoning motion. "Strike, can I talk to you alone for a sec?"

The big gaoler stood among little protests from the nocturnes. Xe reached up to extract Violet from xir antler, but the little fae had already beat a retreat. So xe followed Thia out of the nursery area and down the corridor. Once they were fae enough away to be out of earshot, she said, "Scorpio and Recital should have been back hours ago."

Strike sat down to scratch something on xir notepad. It read, 'Do we assume they're dead? Or search for them?'

Thia chewed on a hangclaw. "Well, we know where they meant to go. I wouldn't think a bunch of harpies could threaten them, not a guardian and a gaoler, even half grown, but..."

Strike shook xir head. 'Magic'

She sighed. "Yeah. They do use magic. Or it could be the weather like what happened with me and Ginan."

'Would Recital have flown with Scorpio on the ground?'

Thia shrugged. "Ginan did, but he was getting reckless. I don't see Recital doing the same." She paused to think. "Well, I won't feel right unless we make some effort to search for them."

Windstrike nodded and returned the notepad to xir pouch.
~ ~ ~

They found a tattered scrap of crimson fabric first. Shortly, they began to notice strands of brown fur drifting along the unsteady air, along with feathers of varied color. That told them the story long before they found the bodies.

@GrinningWolf24

all right, new roll time! we get 19, crimes time again! when it rains, it pours, evidently. the nerds selected for this trial ate Scorpio and Recital! time to bump them up and see who lives.

okay, they are now 10 and 8. time to flip! still doing best of three, heads they live. we get: ... three tails for Scorpio, and two tails for Recital. they both die. r i p
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Hours after Scorpio and Recital were meant to be back from their recon trip into harpy territory, Cythia went searching for Windstrike. She checked xir room; no Strike. She checked the old canteen where they still kept their food supplies; still no Strike. Finally, she went to the room where they had made nests for the youngsters. There was no one in there, but in the next room, where such toys and entertainment as they could find or make were set up for the hatchlings, she finally found Strike.

The gaoler was on the floor, feet tucked under xim until they disappeared into xir coat, making xim look like nothing so much as a giant hairball. Xe lifted xir head and turned it to look at Thia. Xir head tilted inquisitively. As it did, a pair of green-gold necks poked up from the fluff near the floor, where Thia assumed the nocturnes were nestled up against Strike's chest. A bit more movement among the gnarled points of Strike's antler showed Thia where Violet was.

If she hadn't been so worried, she would have grinned at the tableau. As it was, Thia made a beckoning motion. "Strike, can I talk to you alone for a sec?"

The big gaoler stood among little protests from the nocturnes. Xe reached up to extract Violet from xir antler, but the little fae had already beat a retreat. So xe followed Thia out of the nursery area and down the corridor. Once they were fae enough away to be out of earshot, she said, "Scorpio and Recital should have been back hours ago."

Strike sat down to scratch something on xir notepad. It read, 'Do we assume they're dead? Or search for them?'

Thia chewed on a hangclaw. "Well, we know where they meant to go. I wouldn't think a bunch of harpies could threaten them, not a guardian and a gaoler, even half grown, but..."

Strike shook xir head. 'Magic'

She sighed. "Yeah. They do use magic. Or it could be the weather like what happened with me and Ginan."

'Would Recital have flown with Scorpio on the ground?'

Thia shrugged. "Ginan did, but he was getting reckless. I don't see Recital doing the same." She paused to think. "Well, I won't feel right unless we make some effort to search for them."

Windstrike nodded and returned the notepad to xir pouch.
~ ~ ~

They found a tattered scrap of crimson fabric first. Shortly, they began to notice strands of brown fur drifting along the unsteady air, along with feathers of varied color. That told them the story long before they found the bodies.

hHEJ356.gif
DPSlXho.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7