Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | What Lies Within [ Pinkerlocke ] hiatus
1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19 20
[center][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/aa5c0d11068f10de92c1e34daaefd766/tumblr_o1zrsv44JN1ufdm5xo1_400.png[/img][/center] [center][font=times new roman][size=5]DAY 35[/size][/font] [item=dusky mealworm][/center] ----- Fierro was tired. Her bones ached, her claws were tingling from being tensed all the time, her disguise clung uncomfortably to her body and she was about to keel over from carrying Eztli. The Tundra had been rather winded after being thrown by the Rat Lord, and Fierro had instinctively ran to aid her. In hindsight, she probably shouldn’t have done that. They emerged into the light of day to a bustling city. When Fierro looked up, a bright red hologram was beaming from the top of the facility they just escaped from. “Apparently the building’s on lockdown,” A nearby citizen said. “None of the guards are getting out now,” Their companion responded. “That really sucks. My sister’s boyfriend is in there.” [i]Hope they stay in there.[/i] Fierro thought with a little bit of glee. She felt glad to be out. Wendell and Thimba didn’t seem too happy though. After the Wildclaw had been saved by her, he had turned away angrily. He was limping the whole time, and Fierro figured Thimba would’ve gone to help him, but, really, who would’ve wanted to help a Wildclaw with a temper? The group shuffled into an alleyway out of sight from the busy streets. As soon as they were hidden, everyone collectively collapsed. [i]”Huuuuuurgh,[/i] Fierro groaned. “What sort of weird things do your sewers even [i]have[/i], Eztli?” “You’d be surprised,” The Tundra mumbled. She sat up and peeled off the guard’s uniform, wrinkling her nose at the smell. Happily, the Coatl chucked the clothes into a nearby trash can. They went in with a hearty [i]thunk.[/i] Fierro plucked her goggles off her neck and rubbed the lenses. “You might want to take yours off too, Thimba.” But the trader didn’t respond. Instead, she glowered at Wendell, who glowered back with equal intensity. A tense silence hung over them. Then, Wendell spoke: “What were you thinking?!” “What?” “Why would you save me? I didn’t need saving!” “You could’ve [i]died![/i]” Thimba stood up and flared her crest, her teeth showing through her lips. “Oh, and you think that’s going to make us even? I haven’t forgotten that you tried to abandon me!” “What, you thought I wouldn’t? I haven’t abandoned you yet, have I? Stop being so belligerent!” “And you won’t in the future?” “I- Ugh! What did you think I was going to do, go along with your [i]hare-brained[/i] quest to [i]the other side of Sornieth?![/i]” “Don’t call it hare-brained!” “Why? Why are you even going there?” [i]”Because I’ll die if I don’t!”[/i] Silence. The whole alley was quiet. “Because-” Wendell’s voice was choked, trembling with uncontained outrage or fear, whichever it was. “-Because I’m running out of time. And the only way to save me is at the Labyrinth. And- [i]And I don’t want to die.”[/i] He was almost on the verge of crying. Fierro watched the whole exchange incredulously. Just how deep did this run? What was plaguing Wendell that kept driving him towards the Labyrinth? To her, the Wildclaw had seemed this unstoppable force unwilling to be bested. Seeing him show vulnerability was… was absurd! Had the Ashfall Wastes frozen over? “...I’m sorry,” Thimba finally said. If there was ever a more guilty dragon than Thimba, Fierro would’ve been surprised. The look of horror on her face was absolutely incredible. The Coatl didn’t think someone could be so devastated. Wendell snarled. “Don’t say you’re [i]sorry.[/i]” “Wendell, I didn’t know you-” “Playing innocent! Look at you! How many other nasty qualities do you have, huh? But I bet you’re not as bad as [i]me.[/i]” “Wendell!” “Shut up! You don’t understand what it’s like and you’ll never understand! Why don’t you just leave me now, and be done with it?” “STOP YELLING!” Fierro shrieked. The two turned to stare at her. “Gods, how stupid can you two get?” Her normally calm composure was completely broken. Now, Fierro’s crest was flared, her wings were out, and she was absolutely [i]seething.[/i] Would! They! Just! Stop! Arguing? This was a constant she absolutely despised! She didn’t care about either of them, but she certainly cared about their endless feuding! “This is [i]all[/i] you two do, scream and fight! It’s annoying! [i]Can’t you just shut up and stop arguing for FIVE seconds?![/i]” “I second that,” Eztli said from where they lay. “How about [i]this:[/i] instead of trying to bite each other’s heads off, we all get out of here and get dry, because I don’t know about you, but I’d rather be elsewhere than in a grimy alleyway listening to you two bicker!” Wendell wrinkled his nose at her. Thimba merely scratched her neck. “Yeah, sure,” He grumbled. “Fine,” She said, giving Wendell another look. [i]Oh, thank goodness,[/i] Finally some peace. Fierro smiled charmingly. Eztli struggled to sit up, and Fierro nudged her upright. “My place is down near the docks,” She choked out, her ponytail falling out, and Fierro noted that her mane was unusually long. “It’s only a short walk, so-” The Tundra coughed. “-I’ll manage.” “Will you?” Fierro raised a brow. “You could help me.” The Coatl shrugged. “If you’ll keep double trouble from killing each other.” Eztli’s lips twitched. “I will.” Fierro pulled the guard up, slinging one of her wings over her own. “Come on, guys!” She yelled at Wendell and Thimba. “Save the arguing for later, let’s just get out of here. I’m dying to get dry.” The two glared at each other one last time, then turned and followed them. ----- So sorry for the sudden hiatus! I was both out of inspiration and struggling with schoolwork. But I'm back now, and I'm hoping to be more consistent with my updates @RosaDiaz @Charias @Midwinter @Ellapinky @Orodruin @VeniVidiVici @DootTheBang @amble @FallenEclipse @Razatharia @Umaroth @RadioReprise @namrathel @Petall @TundraKitsune @catmeow1 @Mystic9187 @Nightdraco [center][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/aa5c0d11068f10de92c1e34daaefd766/tumblr_o1zrsv44JN1ufdm5xo1_400.png[/img][/center]
tumblr_o1zrsv44JN1ufdm5xo1_400.png
DAY 35
Dusky Mealworm

Fierro was tired. Her bones ached, her claws were tingling from being tensed all the time, her disguise clung uncomfortably to her body and she was about to keel over from carrying Eztli. The Tundra had been rather winded after being thrown by the Rat Lord, and Fierro had instinctively ran to aid her. In hindsight, she probably shouldn’t have done that.

They emerged into the light of day to a bustling city. When Fierro looked up, a bright red hologram was beaming from the top of the facility they just escaped from.

“Apparently the building’s on lockdown,” A nearby citizen said.

“None of the guards are getting out now,” Their companion responded. “That really sucks. My sister’s boyfriend is in there.”

Hope they stay in there. Fierro thought with a little bit of glee. She felt glad to be out.

Wendell and Thimba didn’t seem too happy though. After the Wildclaw had been saved by her, he had turned away angrily. He was limping the whole time, and Fierro figured Thimba would’ve gone to help him, but, really, who would’ve wanted to help a Wildclaw with a temper?

The group shuffled into an alleyway out of sight from the busy streets. As soon as they were hidden, everyone collectively collapsed.

”Huuuuuurgh, Fierro groaned. “What sort of weird things do your sewers even have, Eztli?”

“You’d be surprised,” The Tundra mumbled.

She sat up and peeled off the guard’s uniform, wrinkling her nose at the smell. Happily, the Coatl chucked the clothes into a nearby trash can. They went in with a hearty thunk.

Fierro plucked her goggles off her neck and rubbed the lenses. “You might want to take yours off too, Thimba.”

But the trader didn’t respond. Instead, she glowered at Wendell, who glowered back with equal intensity. A tense silence hung over them.

Then, Wendell spoke: “What were you thinking?!”

“What?”

“Why would you save me? I didn’t need saving!”

“You could’ve died!” Thimba stood up and flared her crest, her teeth showing through her lips.

“Oh, and you think that’s going to make us even? I haven’t forgotten that you tried to abandon me!”

“What, you thought I wouldn’t? I haven’t abandoned you yet, have I? Stop being so belligerent!”

“And you won’t in the future?”

“I- Ugh! What did you think I was going to do, go along with your hare-brained quest to the other side of Sornieth?!

“Don’t call it hare-brained!”

“Why? Why are you even going there?”

”Because I’ll die if I don’t!”

Silence.

The whole alley was quiet.

“Because-” Wendell’s voice was choked, trembling with uncontained outrage or fear, whichever it was. “-Because I’m running out of time. And the only way to save me is at the Labyrinth. And- And I don’t want to die.”

He was almost on the verge of crying.

Fierro watched the whole exchange incredulously. Just how deep did this run? What was plaguing Wendell that kept driving him towards the Labyrinth? To her, the Wildclaw had seemed this unstoppable force unwilling to be bested. Seeing him show vulnerability was… was absurd! Had the Ashfall Wastes frozen over?

“...I’m sorry,” Thimba finally said.

If there was ever a more guilty dragon than Thimba, Fierro would’ve been surprised. The look of horror on her face was absolutely incredible. The Coatl didn’t think someone could be so devastated.

Wendell snarled. “Don’t say you’re sorry.

“Wendell, I didn’t know you-”

“Playing innocent! Look at you! How many other nasty qualities do you have, huh? But I bet you’re not as bad as me.

“Wendell!”

“Shut up! You don’t understand what it’s like and you’ll never understand! Why don’t you just leave me now, and be done with it?”

“STOP YELLING!” Fierro shrieked. The two turned to stare at her.

“Gods, how stupid can you two get?” Her normally calm composure was completely broken. Now, Fierro’s crest was flared, her wings were out, and she was absolutely seething. Would! They! Just! Stop! Arguing? This was a constant she absolutely despised! She didn’t care about either of them, but she certainly cared about their endless feuding! “This is all you two do, scream and fight! It’s annoying! Can’t you just shut up and stop arguing for FIVE seconds?!

“I second that,” Eztli said from where they lay.

“How about this: instead of trying to bite each other’s heads off, we all get out of here and get dry, because I don’t know about you, but I’d rather be elsewhere than in a grimy alleyway listening to you two bicker!”

Wendell wrinkled his nose at her. Thimba merely scratched her neck.

“Yeah, sure,” He grumbled.

“Fine,” She said, giving Wendell another look.

Oh, thank goodness, Finally some peace. Fierro smiled charmingly.

Eztli struggled to sit up, and Fierro nudged her upright.

“My place is down near the docks,” She choked out, her ponytail falling out, and Fierro noted that her mane was unusually long. “It’s only a short walk, so-” The Tundra coughed. “-I’ll manage.”

“Will you?” Fierro raised a brow.

“You could help me.”

The Coatl shrugged. “If you’ll keep double trouble from killing each other.”

Eztli’s lips twitched. “I will.”

Fierro pulled the guard up, slinging one of her wings over her own. “Come on, guys!” She yelled at Wendell and Thimba. “Save the arguing for later, let’s just get out of here. I’m dying to get dry.”

The two glared at each other one last time, then turned and followed them.

So sorry for the sudden hiatus! I was both out of inspiration and struggling with schoolwork. But I'm back now, and I'm hoping to be more consistent with my updates

@RosaDiaz @Charias @Midwinter @Ellapinky @Orodruin @VeniVidiVici @DootTheBang @amble @FallenEclipse @Razatharia @Umaroth @RadioReprise @namrathel @Petall @TundraKitsune @catmeow1 @Mystic9187 @Nightdraco
tumblr_o95tvaQl9V1tv56zio6_250.png
Loki - They/Them - FR Time 0+
Lore thread (WIP)
Dressing Service
Call of the Deep Lineage Project
Hey, in all fairness, you're updating way more frequently than I'm updating my Legacy of War XD so kudos to you <3 keep up the great work (but don't overwork yourself!)
Hey, in all fairness, you're updating way more frequently than I'm updating my Legacy of War XD so kudos to you <3 keep up the great work (but don't overwork yourself!)
oAK3y8z.png AfamSig.gif
@Dragonfire546

Oh my goodness, I love the fact that there are Dragon PHDs on Sornieth! This is amazing!!!

Also, wow! I'm surprised Wendall showed that vulnerability! But that's certainly going to change things for the little group! I can't wait to see what this does in the long run! I have a feeling this was just what Thimba needed to get on his side!
@Dragonfire546

Oh my goodness, I love the fact that there are Dragon PHDs on Sornieth! This is amazing!!!

Also, wow! I'm surprised Wendall showed that vulnerability! But that's certainly going to change things for the little group! I can't wait to see what this does in the long run! I have a feeling this was just what Thimba needed to get on his side!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
[center][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/aa5c0d11068f10de92c1e34daaefd766/tumblr_o1zrsv44JN1ufdm5xo1_400.png[/img][/center] [center][font=times new roman][size=5]DAY 36[/size][/font] [item=gravel][/center] ----- Their ribs really, [i]really[/i] hurt. The Rat Lord had really done a number on them. What else could it do to others? Eztli had a mind to notify the guards about this disturbance; they couldn’t have the maintenance workers getting eaten. But they couldn’t. The Tundra glanced over at Fierro, determinedly plodding onwards despite Eztli’s weight. This dragon right here was potentially a criminal, and so was Wendell and the other Coatl. And here Eztli was, fraternizing with fugitives and putting themselves at a very, very high risk of being court-martialed. But this was something they had to do! They could smell Wendell’s ailment, and they knew that it was destroying him slowly from inside out. They weren’t going to stand by, to let him suffer. The instant Eztli smelled his scent, they knew they had to help. And yes, it was a naïve mentality: “save the world, no violence, help the needy,” et cetera. Eztli knew of multiple dragons who could blame them for thinking that. The group stumbled through the streets, sticking to the alleyways in the hopes of not appearing suspicious. After a while, they came to a living complex. The trip up the stairs was even worse than Eztli thought. Every step they took sent daggers of pain into their chest. Eventually they reached Eztli’s apartment. “Home sweet home,” They mumbled, fumbling for their keys. “I’ll do it. You’re in no position to,” Fierro grabbed the keys for them and unlocked the door. It was a cozy settlement, and very neat. A kitchenette and a living room stood before them, another entrance on the other wall leading to a sleeping area. Books were neatly shelved against a wall, surrounding a single chair stacked with pillows. For as tidy as it was, it was also very barren. Eztli had never been the type of dragon for decorations: it felt strange to own things for the sake of their appearance. Then again, they had never had guests over. Eztli wondered what the others thought of their home. “It’s a nice place you have,” Thimba said. “Thanks-“ A horrible wave of exhaustion crashed over them, and they clamped their mouth shut. “Alright, putting you down now.” Fierro helped Eztli into the chair. They sank into the cushions with a sigh, their whole body seeming to deflate. The Tundra flicked their tail at the others. “Sorry for taking up the only chair. I’ve never had guests over,” After a pause, they continued. “You can take some pillows from my bedroom and sit on those. I wouldn’t mind.” Thimba waved a paw. “Oh, no, that’s alright, Eztli.” “No, I insist. I can’t have you all standing like this.” “Why can’t you just sit on the floor?” Fierro cut in. “Is this a landlubber thing I’m too much of a sailor to understand?” “It’s just [i]polite,[/i] Fierro.” “Of course you’d say that, Thimba.” “Don’t pirates have at least some sort of etiquette rules or proper conduct?” The Coatl shrugged. “We’re pirates.” “It’s alright, go get the pillows,” Eztli feebly waved a paw. “I won’t have guests in my home sitting on the ground. Besides, Fierro, they’re quite comfortable.” The Coatl gave them an appraising glance. “Mm, alright. Since you put it that way.” “Are you sure?” Thimba asked. “Don’t worry Thimba, it’s fine.” With an uncertain look, she turned and trotted off to Eztli’s bedroom, Fierro following close behind. Wendell himself stayed put. [i]Such a strange dragon.[/i] Having particularly pure Tundra blood gave Eztli an impeccable sense of smell, one that allowed them to catch more than just mere scents: they could catch the odour of blood a mile way, for one example. Wendell’s ailment was another thing they could scent, not particularly well - it was subtle and had this strange oily feel to it, something that made Eztli uneasy. They had also never smelt such a thing before. [i]What has taken a hold of Wendell?[/i] They could remember almost everything they’d smelled before. The Wildclaw shifted awkwardly from side to side, staring down at Eztli. He looked as if he wanted to speak. Eztli adjusted themselves, then winced. They were probably hurt the worse in the fight. “You’re injured,” Wendell said. “It’ll be alright,” The Tundra let out a long sigh, furrowing their brow. “It may take a few weeks to heal. Just- Just some rest will be fine.” “You’re a plague dragon, aren’t you?” “Like you, yes.” Wendell worked his mouth. “Can’t you heal yourself?” “Healing?” Were plague dragons supposed to be able to heal? Eztli hadn’t ever heard of plague dragons healing. Frankly, they didn’t know if it were even part of their arsenal of skills. “Well, er, yeah. Our alignment lets us heal, I think.” “I don’t think I could. I’ve never even [i]heard[/i] of this until now,” They flicked their tail. Wendell muttered something they didn’t quite catch. “Pardon?” “...I could heal you,” He said, louder. “If you’d like, you may.” “Hold still,” Wendell crouched down and gingerly laid a hand on Eztli’s chest. He ran his claws along their side, and the guard marvelled at how delicate his touch felt. His scent smelt like pines and forest leaves. A talon jabbed a sensitive spot and they winced again. “Bruised ribs. You got lucky,” He clasped his talons together over the injury and focused. A strange niggling feeling entered their chest. After several moments, Wendell drew away. “How’s that?” “I can’t feel any more pain,” So plague dragons could do this? Eztli had to try sometime. They lifted a wing, surprised at the lack of pain in that spot. “Where’d you learn to do this?” “Long time ago,” His reply was brisk. Perhaps this was a sensitive topic for him. Eztli made a mental note of that. “Thank you,” They pulled their mouth into a smile. “Why are you taking [i]two[/i] pillows?” Thimba’s voice echoed through the living space, followed later by Fierro’s. “I’m an opportunist; why wouldn’t I?” “You know these belong to someone, right?” “Oh, they do?” “Just- put that back!” Out of the bedroom came Thimba, a cushion tucked under her wing and an irritated expression on her face. It dissipated the instant she saw Wendell. The Wildclaw stared at her, and she stared back. A tense minute passed. “...Going to get a pillow,” He got up and brusquely trotted into the bedroom. Thimba stared at him, lost. Just what had transpired between the two? The tension was too obvious to ignore; Thimba and Wendell had some sort of history that made them so antagonistic. From what Eztli knew, the Coatl wronged Wendell somehow, and that was why he despised her so much. And she was regretful about it too. What a complex situation. If they kept this up any longer, neither of them would be able to let it go. And Eztli couldn’t have that. Among the guards, the Tundra was known to be egalitarian. They were a peacemaker, someone who could listen to both sides of an argument and come to a consensus. Everyone went to them for their council, and every time they succeeded in giving advice. This here was another issue they had to resolve. First part of fixing an issue: gather information. “Sit down, Thimba,” Eztli pushed themselves up and patted a spot on the ground. “But you’re injured- Eztli, sit back down!” They waved dismissively. “Oh, no, I’m good. Wendell healed me.” Just as they anticipated, Thimba’s face fell. Her worried visage turned into one of tension. Almost fearfully, she put her pillow down and sat on it. “He was quite knowledgeable too. Said it was bruised ribs. Luckily it wasn’t [i]broken[/i] ribs.” “That’s nice,” The Coatl said tentatively. A pause. Eztli looked at Thimba. “...Do you mind me asking what happened between you two?” They said. Another pause, this one very, very long. From the other room, the sounds of a conversation emanated, Fierro’s voice contrasting with Wendell’s own. Thimba clenched her jaw. “I- I just- why do you want to know?” She arched her neck, her crest rising. This wasn’t good. Eztli had to calm her down now. “Unclench your jaw, Thimba,” Eztli lightly brushed a paw on her shoulder. “And loosen your shoulders. You’re tense.” “I [i]know[/i] I’m tense.” “I know too. You’re worried, aren’t you?” A flurry of emotions swept over Thimba’s face. “I’ve noticed a sort of… conflict between you and Wendell,” Eztli began slowly, carefully trying to not anger her. Thankfully she didn’t retaliate. “I can tell from your body language and your words part of what happened, but I won’t know everything. “Which, if you don’t want me to know everything, that’s fine. If you could, though, do you mind telling me just [i]what[/i] happened?” The dragoness raised her brows in a guilty manner. “The thing about unresolved conflict,” The Tundra kept going. “Is that it hurts all parties. Perhaps the cause of the conflict was one dragon’s fault, but regardless, it’s a tension that needs to be resolved. “Your issues with Wendell are quite palpable and it’s hurting you both. I can help you both with that, put aside whatever history you two have had, but I can’t do that unless I know what’s happened. They rested their claws on Thimba’s shoulders. “I’m talking to you first because I can tell you don’t want this burden any longer. I’m offering to take this off your shoulders.” “Will you let me, Thimba?” She took a deep shuddering breath, claws clenching and unclenching. Eztli felt equally as afraid. Had they succeeded? A calm before the storm, and one they had no hopes of prolonging. At last, Thimba spoke. “...I wanted to abandon him. I wanted to leave him once we got to mainland Sornieth. And then he found out and now… Now I don’t know.” Eztli let out a breath they hadn’t realized they’d been holding. They had gotten through. Now, they could help Thimba work towards a resolution. “It’s… it’s deeper than just that,” She continued. Eztli began rubbing her shoulders. “I don’t know Wendell’s side of the story. I don’t know why he’s doing what he’s doing, why he’s even here.” Eztli put a wing over Thimba. “We’ll know his side of the story soon. Right now, I need you to tell me yours.” “...Alright, I’ll tell you,” Thimba said at last. ----- Not my best update, but I really needed to get something out. I can't let this pinkerlocke idle for long Also first Eztli pov! I will admit they were incredibly hard to write - probably due to my writers block and the fact that I didn't really have any ideas in regards to their character. Hopefully they become more concrete in later posts @RosaDiaz @Charias @Midwinter @Ellapinky @Orodruin @VeniVidiVici @DootTheBang @amble @FallenEclipse @Razatharia @Umaroth @RadioReprise @namrathel @Petall @TundraKitsune @catmeow1 @Mystic9187 @Nightdraco [center][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/aa5c0d11068f10de92c1e34daaefd766/tumblr_o1zrsv44JN1ufdm5xo1_400.png[/img][/center]
DAY 36
Gravel

Their ribs really, really hurt. The Rat Lord had really done a number on them. What else could it do to others? Eztli had a mind to notify the guards about this disturbance; they couldn’t have the maintenance workers getting eaten.

But they couldn’t. The Tundra glanced over at Fierro, determinedly plodding onwards despite Eztli’s weight. This dragon right here was potentially a criminal, and so was Wendell and the other Coatl. And here Eztli was, fraternizing with fugitives and putting themselves at a very, very high risk of being court-martialed.

But this was something they had to do! They could smell Wendell’s ailment, and they knew that it was destroying him slowly from inside out. They weren’t going to stand by, to let him suffer. The instant Eztli smelled his scent, they knew they had to help.

And yes, it was a naïve mentality: “save the world, no violence, help the needy,” et cetera. Eztli knew of multiple dragons who could blame them for thinking that.

The group stumbled through the streets, sticking to the alleyways in the hopes of not appearing suspicious. After a while, they came to a living complex. The trip up the stairs was even worse than Eztli thought. Every step they took sent daggers of pain into their chest. Eventually they reached Eztli’s apartment.

“Home sweet home,” They mumbled, fumbling for their keys.

“I’ll do it. You’re in no position to,” Fierro grabbed the keys for them and unlocked the door.

It was a cozy settlement, and very neat. A kitchenette and a living room stood before them, another entrance on the other wall leading to a sleeping area. Books were neatly shelved against a wall, surrounding a single chair stacked with pillows. For as tidy as it was, it was also very barren. Eztli had never been the type of dragon for decorations: it felt strange to own things for the sake of their appearance. Then again, they had never had guests over. Eztli wondered what the others thought of their home.

“It’s a nice place you have,” Thimba said.

“Thanks-“ A horrible wave of exhaustion crashed over them, and they clamped their mouth shut.

“Alright, putting you down now.” Fierro helped Eztli into the chair. They sank into the cushions with a sigh, their whole body seeming to deflate.

The Tundra flicked their tail at the others. “Sorry for taking up the only chair. I’ve never had guests over,” After a pause, they continued. “You can take some pillows from my bedroom and sit on those. I wouldn’t mind.”

Thimba waved a paw. “Oh, no, that’s alright, Eztli.”

“No, I insist. I can’t have you all standing like this.”

“Why can’t you just sit on the floor?” Fierro cut in. “Is this a landlubber thing I’m too much of a sailor to understand?”

“It’s just polite, Fierro.”

“Of course you’d say that, Thimba.”

“Don’t pirates have at least some sort of etiquette rules or proper conduct?”

The Coatl shrugged. “We’re pirates.”

“It’s alright, go get the pillows,” Eztli feebly waved a paw. “I won’t have guests in my home sitting on the ground. Besides, Fierro, they’re quite comfortable.”

The Coatl gave them an appraising glance. “Mm, alright. Since you put it that way.”

“Are you sure?” Thimba asked.

“Don’t worry Thimba, it’s fine.”

With an uncertain look, she turned and trotted off to Eztli’s bedroom, Fierro following close behind. Wendell himself stayed put.

Such a strange dragon. Having particularly pure Tundra blood gave Eztli an impeccable sense of smell, one that allowed them to catch more than just mere scents: they could catch the odour of blood a mile way, for one example. Wendell’s ailment was another thing they could scent, not particularly well - it was subtle and had this strange oily feel to it, something that made Eztli uneasy. They had also never smelt such a thing before.

What has taken a hold of Wendell? They could remember almost everything they’d smelled before.

The Wildclaw shifted awkwardly from side to side, staring down at Eztli. He looked as if he wanted to speak.

Eztli adjusted themselves, then winced. They were probably hurt the worse in the fight.

“You’re injured,” Wendell said.

“It’ll be alright,” The Tundra let out a long sigh, furrowing their brow. “It may take a few weeks to heal. Just- Just some rest will be fine.”

“You’re a plague dragon, aren’t you?”

“Like you, yes.”

Wendell worked his mouth. “Can’t you heal yourself?”

“Healing?” Were plague dragons supposed to be able to heal? Eztli hadn’t ever heard of plague dragons healing. Frankly, they didn’t know if it were even part of their arsenal of skills.

“Well, er, yeah. Our alignment lets us heal, I think.”

“I don’t think I could. I’ve never even heard of this until now,” They flicked their tail.

Wendell muttered something they didn’t quite catch.

“Pardon?”

“...I could heal you,” He said, louder.

“If you’d like, you may.”

“Hold still,” Wendell crouched down and gingerly laid a hand on Eztli’s chest. He ran his claws along their side, and the guard marvelled at how delicate his touch felt. His scent smelt like pines and forest leaves.

A talon jabbed a sensitive spot and they winced again.

“Bruised ribs. You got lucky,” He clasped his talons together over the injury and focused. A strange niggling feeling entered their chest. After several moments, Wendell drew away. “How’s that?”

“I can’t feel any more pain,” So plague dragons could do this? Eztli had to try sometime. They lifted a wing, surprised at the lack of pain in that spot. “Where’d you learn to do this?”

“Long time ago,” His reply was brisk. Perhaps this was a sensitive topic for him. Eztli made a mental note of that.

“Thank you,” They pulled their mouth into a smile.

“Why are you taking two pillows?” Thimba’s voice echoed through the living space, followed later by Fierro’s.

“I’m an opportunist; why wouldn’t I?”

“You know these belong to someone, right?”

“Oh, they do?”

“Just- put that back!” Out of the bedroom came Thimba, a cushion tucked under her wing and an irritated expression on her face. It dissipated the instant she saw Wendell.

The Wildclaw stared at her, and she stared back. A tense minute passed.

“...Going to get a pillow,” He got up and brusquely trotted into the bedroom. Thimba stared at him, lost.

Just what had transpired between the two? The tension was too obvious to ignore; Thimba and Wendell had some sort of history that made them so antagonistic. From what Eztli knew, the Coatl wronged Wendell somehow, and that was why he despised her so much. And she was regretful about it too. What a complex situation.

If they kept this up any longer, neither of them would be able to let it go. And Eztli couldn’t have that. Among the guards, the Tundra was known to be egalitarian. They were a peacemaker, someone who could listen to both sides of an argument and come to a consensus. Everyone went to them for their council, and every time they succeeded in giving advice. This here was another issue they had to resolve.

First part of fixing an issue: gather information.

“Sit down, Thimba,” Eztli pushed themselves up and patted a spot on the ground.

“But you’re injured- Eztli, sit back down!”

They waved dismissively. “Oh, no, I’m good. Wendell healed me.”

Just as they anticipated, Thimba’s face fell. Her worried visage turned into one of tension. Almost fearfully, she put her pillow down and sat on it.

“He was quite knowledgeable too. Said it was bruised ribs. Luckily it wasn’t broken ribs.”

“That’s nice,” The Coatl said tentatively.

A pause. Eztli looked at Thimba.

“...Do you mind me asking what happened between you two?” They said.

Another pause, this one very, very long. From the other room, the sounds of a conversation emanated, Fierro’s voice contrasting with Wendell’s own.

Thimba clenched her jaw.

“I- I just- why do you want to know?” She arched her neck, her crest rising. This wasn’t good. Eztli had to calm her down now.

“Unclench your jaw, Thimba,” Eztli lightly brushed a paw on her shoulder. “And loosen your shoulders. You’re tense.”

“I know I’m tense.”

“I know too. You’re worried, aren’t you?”

A flurry of emotions swept over Thimba’s face.

“I’ve noticed a sort of… conflict between you and Wendell,” Eztli began slowly, carefully trying to not anger her. Thankfully she didn’t retaliate. “I can tell from your body language and your words part of what happened, but I won’t know everything.

“Which, if you don’t want me to know everything, that’s fine. If you could, though, do you mind telling me just what happened?”

The dragoness raised her brows in a guilty manner.

“The thing about unresolved conflict,” The Tundra kept going. “Is that it hurts all parties. Perhaps the cause of the conflict was one dragon’s fault, but regardless, it’s a tension that needs to be resolved.

“Your issues with Wendell are quite palpable and it’s hurting you both. I can help you both with that, put aside whatever history you two have had, but I can’t do that unless I know what’s happened.

They rested their claws on Thimba’s shoulders. “I’m talking to you first because I can tell you don’t want this burden any longer. I’m offering to take this off your shoulders.”

“Will you let me, Thimba?”

She took a deep shuddering breath, claws clenching and unclenching. Eztli felt equally as afraid. Had they succeeded? A calm before the storm, and one they had no hopes of prolonging.

At last, Thimba spoke. “...I wanted to abandon him. I wanted to leave him once we got to mainland Sornieth. And then he found out and now… Now I don’t know.”

Eztli let out a breath they hadn’t realized they’d been holding. They had gotten through. Now, they could help Thimba work towards a resolution.

“It’s… it’s deeper than just that,” She continued. Eztli began rubbing her shoulders. “I don’t know Wendell’s side of the story. I don’t know why he’s doing what he’s doing, why he’s even here.”

Eztli put a wing over Thimba. “We’ll know his side of the story soon. Right now, I need you to tell me yours.”

“...Alright, I’ll tell you,” Thimba said at last.

Not my best update, but I really needed to get something out. I can't let this pinkerlocke idle for long

Also first Eztli pov! I will admit they were incredibly hard to write - probably due to my writers block and the fact that I didn't really have any ideas in regards to their character. Hopefully they become more concrete in later posts

@RosaDiaz @Charias @Midwinter @Ellapinky @Orodruin @VeniVidiVici @DootTheBang @amble @FallenEclipse @Razatharia @Umaroth @RadioReprise @namrathel @Petall @TundraKitsune @catmeow1 @Mystic9187 @Nightdraco
Lore thread (WIP)
Dressing Service
@Dragonfire546

Oh my goodness, I love Eztli so much!!! I think they are about to become my favourite character... I love mediators and the tactics they used to get Thimba to open up is exactly what I've been learning in my Child and Youth Care classes.
@Dragonfire546

Oh my goodness, I love Eztli so much!!! I think they are about to become my favourite character... I love mediators and the tactics they used to get Thimba to open up is exactly what I've been learning in my Child and Youth Care classes.
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Petall Oooooh man I hadn't realized that!!! I just made Eztli a very good mediator, I didn't realize the strategies they used were real-life ones, that's AWESOME
@Petall Oooooh man I hadn't realized that!!! I just made Eztli a very good mediator, I didn't realize the strategies they used were real-life ones, that's AWESOME
Lore thread (WIP)
Dressing Service
@Dragonfire546

You definitely did! The calling out body language and interpreting what Thimba's not saying in order to encourage her to speak and dig into what she's not letting herself acknowledge are totally skills that I've been taught to use in my counselling classes! They totally sounded like a therapist in that moment, especially with wanting to explore both sides of the story and making sure that both dragons got their full stories heard! Also, with their level of empathy and patience! You did a really good job with them!
@Dragonfire546

You definitely did! The calling out body language and interpreting what Thimba's not saying in order to encourage her to speak and dig into what she's not letting herself acknowledge are totally skills that I've been taught to use in my counselling classes! They totally sounded like a therapist in that moment, especially with wanting to explore both sides of the story and making sure that both dragons got their full stories heard! Also, with their level of empathy and patience! You did a really good job with them!
@Petall AHHHHH THANK YOU!!!! <3
@Petall AHHHHH THANK YOU!!!! <3
Lore thread (WIP)
Dressing Service
[center][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/aa5c0d11068f10de92c1e34daaefd766/tumblr_o1zrsv44JN1ufdm5xo1_400.png[/img][/center] [center][font=times new roman][size=5]DAY 37[/size][/font] [item=dried lilium petals][/center] ----- When night fell, everyone had decided to stay at Eztli’s apartment for the night. Nobody wanted to go on the run again, especially not since the entire city was likely aware of their escape at this point. Thimba was glad they opted to do that: she was getting really tired of moving. Having a place to stay safely felt like the greatest thing in the world. Then there was the matter of choosing sleeping places. Fierro had insisted on sleeping on the floor against Eztli’s recommendations (“I’m a [i]pirate,[/i] I’ve slept on boards harder than this, it’ll be [i]fine.[/i]”), but eventually gave up and took a single pillow, just to be nice. Eztli had offered Wendell their room, which he brusquely turned down in his typically hostile fashion. Thimba herself decided to take the chair out of politeness. Eventually, the Tundra gave up in trying to be generous and went to their room to sleep. “Sleep well, everyone,” They said, before blowing out the candle, plunging the living room into darkness. Lying there, in the shadows, Thimba felt at peace. At last, a moment’s respite. The last few weeks had been the most hectic of her life. Here was some time for herself. Even if it would end once the sun came up, it was still something. She settled into the chair with a sigh. What would she do when the sun came up though? She had wanted to come to Sornieth to start a new life, away from the Icefield and away from the Sunbeam Ruins. But could she, given the dragons she ended up with? Would Eztli be alright with her wanting to leave? Fierro certainly wouldn’t care, which made Thimba a little melancholy. And- what about Wendell? The image of a dark snout with red eyes flashed in her head. Could she- No, she wanted to abandon him, right? That much was true. She would keep telling herself that over and over again until she finally got it. He was a liability! He was proven dangerous! [i]Do you believe that?[/i] ...And why would she think [i]that?[/i] There was no guilt or shame over what she said in the cell. She wasn’t supposed to care, because nobody else cared. She wasn’t supposed to let others care. None of this was going the way she intended it to. She was tired. So, very tired. [i]I don’t want to think about this anymore.[/i] And she wouldn’t let herself. After some tossing and turning, Thimba managed to drift off into an uneasy sleep. ---- The sound of rustling woke her from her rest. She cracked open an eye, letting her vision adjust to the darkness. Who was there? ...Were they in danger? She kept her breath steady, unwilling to let whoever it was know she was awake. Thimba felt her body still. Her eyes flicked left and right, trying to gauge her surroundings. A strange tension hummed in her bones. [i]Who’s there?[/i] A strange creaking noise sounded in front of her, and she fought to keep her panic in check. [i]Who was there?![/i] Footsteps. Thimba was in full fight-or-flight mode now, the worry in her wings palpable in the darkness. She’d have to fight, wouldn’t she? If it were an intruder? The Coatl clenched her claws. A dark shape lumbered into her vision. She saw the dragon’s shape - bipedal, with a strange scarf around their neck - and a realization hit her. [i]Wendell?[/i] As she watched, the Wildclaw glanced back at the sleeping dragons, then tip-toed towards the door. Gently, he worked it open. And then he was gone. The Coatl laid there, now fully awake. [i]What was that? Why is Wendell up? Where’s he going? Why is he going- No, no, I know why,[/i] Given his standoffish nature, and her treatment of him, it was no wonder he was running away. [i]Good riddance,[/i] she thought instinctively. A worried feeling entered her gut. She remembered back to after she’d talked with Eztli, told them what she dared about her past. The Tundra had given her a serious look, one that spoke of things to be noted. [i]I’m not sure what it is, but there’s something plaguing Wendell. He’s got his demons just like you,[/i] They had asked, red eyes honest. [i]Try not to hurt him too much.[/i] That worried feeling turned into full-blown guilt. If the reason for his leave was because of her, then there had to be something she could do to rectify it. This couldn’t be her fault, could it? She had to fix her mistakes. The repercussions would be too much for her to bear. Thimba crept out of the chair and walked towards the door. She opened it and, stepping out, said: “Are you leaving?” Wendell stopped in his tracks. Slowly, he turned around to give her a look of contempt. “Why do you care?” He hissed, fangs flashing. “Does it matter what I do? Do you really need to know?” “Wendell, are you leaving?” She reiterated. Thimba usually talked with a clear voice and level head, but this time her tone wavered. “Why? Aren’t you glad I am?” That sentence felt like a knife to her gut. The Coatl gulped. She stepped forward and quietly shut the door behind her, separating Wendell and her from everything else. Torches flickered some distance away. They were now alone in the hallway, two dragons at odds with one another forced to confront the truth. Thimba had never felt more tense. “...Wendell-” She began. But he wouldn’t let her finish. “Don’t you ‘Wendell’ me. I know what you want. Ever since I landed in your boat, you’ve been planning to turn on me. You told me your true feelings in that cell. I [i]know,[/i] Thimba. I know how much you hate me. “Oh, I could blame you for everything that’s happened to me. I could just say it’s your fault, that’d be so easy. But I can’t, can I?” “Wendell?” “Because it’s not- it’s not because of you, it’s because of [i]me.[/i]” He snarled, putting his face in hers. The tone of his monologue was like a knife’s edge. “All of this? All that’s happened? It’s [i]my[/i] fault.” “Wendell, [i]please.”[/i] “I’m always hurting dragons, I’m always yelling them. I can never keep my mouth shut, I can’t help but harm others, I can’t help it! That’s all I know how to do! You know that, don’t you!?” Every negative memory of Wendell flooded back as soon as he said that. [i]No, no, not this.[/i] “Just say you want me gone! [i]SAY IT![/i]” He screamed. The words echoed, vibrated, danced around the tiny hallway, embedding themselves deep in Thimba’s bones until that was all she could hear. Time seemed to stop. Wendell gritted his teeth, and turned away. “I wouldn’t want me around, either,” He finished. The saddness threatened to pour out. Tears quivered at the corners of her eyes. Wendell’s anger wasn’t just anger, it was fear too, and hatred not for the world but for himself. He was scared of everything. [i]Just like me.[/i] Wasn’t she scared of everything too? Didn’t she also think nobody wanted her around? Thimba was self-sufficient not because it benefited her, but because no other dragons would help her. Just like Wendell, she was alone. They were both alone. They both felt they didn’t owe anything to the world, because it hadn’t given them anything back. Before, she had willingly hated Wendell. Thimba had thought that it was okay to abandon him, to think of him as somebody she couldn’t care about. But the guilt now was too much, and she had too many crimes to atone for. She couldn’t run away from this one. Sighing, Wendell staggered to the wall and slumped against it, sliding down to the floor. Thimba tentatively sat beside him. A long silence followed. “...I’ll take you to the Labyrinth,” She finally whispered. Wendell gave no response. ----- y'all i'm crying in the club rn ;; Very late update, sorry! Hands are hurting again and school's getting busier :( @RosaDiaz @Charias @Midwinter @Ellapinky @Orodruin @VeniVidiVici @DootTheBang @amble @FallenEclipse @Razatharia @Umaroth @RadioReprise @namrathel @Petall @TundraKitsune @catmeow1 @Mystic9187 @Nightdraco [center][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/aa5c0d11068f10de92c1e34daaefd766/tumblr_o1zrsv44JN1ufdm5xo1_400.png[/img][/center]
DAY 37
Dried Lilium Petals

When night fell, everyone had decided to stay at Eztli’s apartment for the night. Nobody wanted to go on the run again, especially not since the entire city was likely aware of their escape at this point. Thimba was glad they opted to do that: she was getting really tired of moving. Having a place to stay safely felt like the greatest thing in the world.

Then there was the matter of choosing sleeping places. Fierro had insisted on sleeping on the floor against Eztli’s recommendations (“I’m a pirate, I’ve slept on boards harder than this, it’ll be fine.”), but eventually gave up and took a single pillow, just to be nice. Eztli had offered Wendell their room, which he brusquely turned down in his typically hostile fashion. Thimba herself decided to take the chair out of politeness. Eventually, the Tundra gave up in trying to be generous and went to their room to sleep.

“Sleep well, everyone,” They said, before blowing out the candle, plunging the living room into darkness.

Lying there, in the shadows, Thimba felt at peace. At last, a moment’s respite. The last few weeks had been the most hectic of her life. Here was some time for herself. Even if it would end once the sun came up, it was still something. She settled into the chair with a sigh.

What would she do when the sun came up though? She had wanted to come to Sornieth to start a new life, away from the Icefield and away from the Sunbeam Ruins. But could she, given the dragons she ended up with? Would Eztli be alright with her wanting to leave? Fierro certainly wouldn’t care, which made Thimba a little melancholy.

And- what about Wendell?

The image of a dark snout with red eyes flashed in her head. Could she- No, she wanted to abandon him, right? That much was true. She would keep telling herself that over and over again until she finally got it. He was a liability! He was proven dangerous!

Do you believe that?

...And why would she think that? There was no guilt or shame over what she said in the cell. She wasn’t supposed to care, because nobody else cared. She wasn’t supposed to let others care. None of this was going the way she intended it to.

She was tired. So, very tired.

I don’t want to think about this anymore. And she wouldn’t let herself.

After some tossing and turning, Thimba managed to drift off into an uneasy sleep.

----

The sound of rustling woke her from her rest. She cracked open an eye, letting her vision adjust to the darkness.

Who was there?

...Were they in danger?

She kept her breath steady, unwilling to let whoever it was know she was awake. Thimba felt her body still. Her eyes flicked left and right, trying to gauge her surroundings. A strange tension hummed in her bones.

Who’s there?

A strange creaking noise sounded in front of her, and she fought to keep her panic in check.

Who was there?!

Footsteps. Thimba was in full fight-or-flight mode now, the worry in her wings palpable in the darkness. She’d have to fight, wouldn’t she? If it were an intruder? The Coatl clenched her claws.

A dark shape lumbered into her vision. She saw the dragon’s shape - bipedal, with a strange scarf around their neck - and a realization hit her.

Wendell?

As she watched, the Wildclaw glanced back at the sleeping dragons, then tip-toed towards the door. Gently, he worked it open.

And then he was gone.

The Coatl laid there, now fully awake. What was that? Why is Wendell up? Where’s he going?

Why is he going- No, no, I know why,
Given his standoffish nature, and her treatment of him, it was no wonder he was running away.

Good riddance, she thought instinctively. A worried feeling entered her gut. She remembered back to after she’d talked with Eztli, told them what she dared about her past. The Tundra had given her a serious look, one that spoke of things to be noted.

I’m not sure what it is, but there’s something plaguing Wendell. He’s got his demons just like you, They had asked, red eyes honest. Try not to hurt him too much.

That worried feeling turned into full-blown guilt. If the reason for his leave was because of her, then there had to be something she could do to rectify it. This couldn’t be her fault, could it? She had to fix her mistakes. The repercussions would be too much for her to bear.

Thimba crept out of the chair and walked towards the door. She opened it and, stepping out, said:

“Are you leaving?”

Wendell stopped in his tracks. Slowly, he turned around to give her a look of contempt.

“Why do you care?” He hissed, fangs flashing. “Does it matter what I do? Do you really need to know?”

“Wendell, are you leaving?” She reiterated. Thimba usually talked with a clear voice and level head, but this time her tone wavered.

“Why? Aren’t you glad I am?”

That sentence felt like a knife to her gut. The Coatl gulped. She stepped forward and quietly shut the door behind her, separating Wendell and her from everything else. Torches flickered some distance away.

They were now alone in the hallway, two dragons at odds with one another forced to confront the truth. Thimba had never felt more tense.

“...Wendell-” She began.

But he wouldn’t let her finish. “Don’t you ‘Wendell’ me. I know what you want. Ever since I landed in your boat, you’ve been planning to turn on me. You told me your true feelings in that cell. I know, Thimba. I know how much you hate me.

“Oh, I could blame you for everything that’s happened to me. I could just say it’s your fault, that’d be so easy. But I can’t, can I?”

“Wendell?”

“Because it’s not- it’s not because of you, it’s because of me.” He snarled, putting his face in hers. The tone of his monologue was like a knife’s edge. “All of this? All that’s happened? It’s my fault.”

“Wendell, please.”

“I’m always hurting dragons, I’m always yelling them. I can never keep my mouth shut, I can’t help but harm others, I can’t help it! That’s all I know how to do! You know that, don’t you!?”

Every negative memory of Wendell flooded back as soon as he said that.

No, no, not this.

“Just say you want me gone! SAY IT!” He screamed. The words echoed, vibrated, danced around the tiny hallway, embedding themselves deep in Thimba’s bones until that was all she could hear.

Time seemed to stop.

Wendell gritted his teeth, and turned away.

“I wouldn’t want me around, either,” He finished.

The saddness threatened to pour out. Tears quivered at the corners of her eyes. Wendell’s anger wasn’t just anger, it was fear too, and hatred not for the world but for himself. He was scared of everything.

Just like me. Wasn’t she scared of everything too? Didn’t she also think nobody wanted her around? Thimba was self-sufficient not because it benefited her, but because no other dragons would help her. Just like Wendell, she was alone. They were both alone. They both felt they didn’t owe anything to the world, because it hadn’t given them anything back.

Before, she had willingly hated Wendell. Thimba had thought that it was okay to abandon him, to think of him as somebody she couldn’t care about. But the guilt now was too much, and she had too many crimes to atone for.

She couldn’t run away from this one.

Sighing, Wendell staggered to the wall and slumped against it, sliding down to the floor. Thimba tentatively sat beside him. A long silence followed.

“...I’ll take you to the Labyrinth,” She finally whispered.

Wendell gave no response.

y'all i'm crying in the club rn ;;

Very late update, sorry! Hands are hurting again and school's getting busier :(

Lore thread (WIP)
Dressing Service
@Dragonfire546

What an emotional scene! I can't believe Wendell broke down like that!!! That was such a tender, heartfelt moment! And eyyy it's great to see the team actually melding together!
@Dragonfire546

What an emotional scene! I can't believe Wendell broke down like that!!! That was such a tender, heartfelt moment! And eyyy it's great to see the team actually melding together!
1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19 20