Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | What Lies Within [ Pinkerlocke ] hiatus
1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
[center][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/aa5c0d11068f10de92c1e34daaefd766/tumblr_o1zrsv44JN1ufdm5xo1_400.png[/img][/center] [center][font=times new roman][size=5]DAY 41[/size][/font] [item=red and black froghopper][/center] ----- In the dark of the night, the four of them carefully crept down the stairs and onto the streets. Eztli led the way to a place where they could – to quote Thimba – [i]”unlawfully pilfer a boat.”[/i] It was supposed to be a ship vendor’s place, closed recently due to a fire that broke out on one of the piers. The Tundra’s reasoning was that the city would only pay attention to the damages caused by the accident, meaning they could easily take one of the newer boats and cause less of a fuss in the process. Fierro rolled her eyes when they suggested that; even when doing crime, Eztli had to be nice. The ruined wreckage of a warehouse came into view, surrounded by a shining ribbon reading KEEP OUT. Not a dragon could be heard in the shadows. “This is the place?” Fierro asked. “Yes,” Eztli lifted the ribbon and ducked under it, beckoning the others to do the same. “Come on, let’s not dawdle.” The four crept into the place. Fierro could feel the emptiness, that ominous feeling that loomed following a disaster. And from where she stood, a pile of burnt timbers could be seen - the remains of a shack, it seemed. “What a terrible-looking place.” “Something terrible did happen here,” Eztli replied. They trotted towards one of the unburnt docks. Thimba – little miss Rainbow, Fierro thought - had conjured a ball of light, brightening the darkness and allowing them to find their way. Fierro clenched her jaw at the sight of the gold bouncing off her emerald feathers, her bitterness unforgotten. “Do we- really have to [i]take[/i] a boat?” She piped up. Fierro thought that was the dumbest question she’d ever heard. “No one will miss it, Thimba. And it’ll be only a minor loss – they can always build more boats. This one will soon be forgotten.” “I just can’t believe you of all dragons would agree to pilfer legal property like this, Eztli.” “You stole two weeks of supplies back on the Icefield,” Wendell remarked. “You [i]coerced[/i] me into doing it!” “Come on now, don’t fuss again. We can’t risk being heard.” That comment from Eztli shut the both of them up. The quartermaster thought it was the funniest thing, for Wendell and Thimba to begin fighting only for a single word from Eztli to make them be quiet again. She could watch this for ages, she bet. They got to the pier and began examining the boats, with Thimba taking the lead in judgement. Fierro kept trying to but in whenever she could, anxious at being shown up. She knew boats just as well as Thimba did. It was annoying that Thimba would make her feel this way, all angry and tense, like all her neatly wound threads were quickly being unravelled. [i]Just stay calm. Stay in control. A few more days and she’ll be out of your feathers,[/i] Fierro told herself. Hopefully she could follow her infallible mantra. Eventually Thimba and Wendell wandered off to investigate a long slender ship, leaving Fierro alone with Eztli. Gleefully, the Coatl steered the Tundra away to another vessel, glad to be away from Thimba. The sounds of a quiet argument could be heard even from where she stood. “I still don’t get why you’re helping them,” Fierro remarked, eyeing a schooner and its two masts. “I wouldn’t want to stand them.” “I suppose I’m just very patient,” The Tundra replied. After a pause, they pulled their lips back in the resemblance of a smile. “I’ve noticed.” [i]It’s very annoying.[/i] She inhaled, then lowered her voice. “Why would you do it, though? Wendell’s a wildcard about to snap at any second; Thimba’s even worse – what could you possibly get out of this? This is a situation heading for disaster.” “Is it a bad thing to help someone?” “Why would you if it didn’t mean anything?” Fierro stared at the waters lapping against the boat’s hull. Talking to Eztli about a controversial topic, it was tempting to let all her strings unravel and fly loose. For once, just tell someone how she felt, not what she wanted to say. But old habits kept those threads tightly bound. Eztli blinked at her. “Should it?” “Maybe it should. It doesn’t make any sense to do something and not get something out of it.” “But I am getting something out of it.” “What?” “I’m getting that feeling of satisfaction knowing I’ve made someone else’s day better,” Their face twitched upwards in a smirk. “I think that’s plenty.” “But it’s [i]not[/i] plenty.” “What do you mean?” “It’s just [i]not![/i] I can’t do something for nothing! There has to be a physical reward I get at the end of it, something that I want.” “Really?” “Why not?” Yes, why not? She’d only ever do anything if it’d help her. Survival of the fittest – no, survival of the [i]resourceful,[/i] more like. You took what you needed from the world, because it wouldn’t give you anything in return. Eztli tilted their head. “I get it,” Their long reddish mane was maroon in the faint light. “The world hasn’t treated you nicely and you don’t feel you should be nice to it either.” “And I won’t.” “You don’t have to. The world’s a big thing and it’s hard to get anything from it. You shouldn’t have to owe anything to it.” “But-“ Eztli continued. “-there’s nothing wrong with being nice to others.” “You might want to wrap it up.” Fierro raised a brow, noticing the shapes of Thimba and Wendell walking over to them. “You can be nice to other dragons. That much you can control,” They finished, just as the other two came back. “We found a ship over there that might work,” Wendell said. Fierro looked over at Eztli, who stared back. Was she to take their advice? Care for others, as it was better than caring for the world? It sounded false and hopelessly naïve, to be honest. What sort of strength came from relying on other dragons? As much gall as Eztli had, Fierro wasn’t going to believe them any time soon. [i]I’ll follow my own advice, thank you very much.[/i] Who needed support? “Well?” She turned to Wendell. “Let’s see this ship then.” ----- Man, I really need to get back into writing shape. I've been putting this Pinkerlocke off for too long. Sorry guys! Ezt is lvl 5 now! @RosaDiaz @Charias @Midwinter @Ellapinky @Orodruin @VeniVidiVici @DootTheBang @amble @FallenEclipse @Razatharia @Umaroth @RadioReprise @namrathel @Petall @TundraKitsune @catmeow1 @Mystic9187 @Nightdraco [center][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/aa5c0d11068f10de92c1e34daaefd766/tumblr_o1zrsv44JN1ufdm5xo1_400.png[/img][/center]
tumblr_o1zrsv44JN1ufdm5xo1_400.png
DAY 41
Red and Black Froghopper

In the dark of the night, the four of them carefully crept down the stairs and onto the streets. Eztli led the way to a place where they could – to quote Thimba – ”unlawfully pilfer a boat.” It was supposed to be a ship vendor’s place, closed recently due to a fire that broke out on one of the piers. The Tundra’s reasoning was that the city would only pay attention to the damages caused by the accident, meaning they could easily take one of the newer boats and cause less of a fuss in the process. Fierro rolled her eyes when they suggested that; even when doing crime, Eztli had to be nice.

The ruined wreckage of a warehouse came into view, surrounded by a shining ribbon reading KEEP OUT. Not a dragon could be heard in the shadows.

“This is the place?” Fierro asked.

“Yes,” Eztli lifted the ribbon and ducked under it, beckoning the others to do the same. “Come on, let’s not dawdle.”

The four crept into the place. Fierro could feel the emptiness, that ominous feeling that loomed following a disaster. And from where she stood, a pile of burnt timbers could be seen - the remains of a shack, it seemed.

“What a terrible-looking place.”

“Something terrible did happen here,” Eztli replied.

They trotted towards one of the unburnt docks. Thimba – little miss Rainbow, Fierro thought - had conjured a ball of light, brightening the darkness and allowing them to find their way. Fierro clenched her jaw at the sight of the gold bouncing off her emerald feathers, her bitterness unforgotten.

“Do we- really have to take a boat?” She piped up. Fierro thought that was the dumbest question she’d ever heard.

“No one will miss it, Thimba. And it’ll be only a minor loss – they can always build more boats. This one will soon be forgotten.”

“I just can’t believe you of all dragons would agree to pilfer legal property like this, Eztli.”

“You stole two weeks of supplies back on the Icefield,” Wendell remarked.

“You coerced me into doing it!”

“Come on now, don’t fuss again. We can’t risk being heard.”

That comment from Eztli shut the both of them up. The quartermaster thought it was the funniest thing, for Wendell and Thimba to begin fighting only for a single word from Eztli to make them be quiet again. She could watch this for ages, she bet.

They got to the pier and began examining the boats, with Thimba taking the lead in judgement. Fierro kept trying to but in whenever she could, anxious at being shown up. She knew boats just as well as Thimba did. It was annoying that Thimba would make her feel this way, all angry and tense, like all her neatly wound threads were quickly being unravelled.

Just stay calm. Stay in control. A few more days and she’ll be out of your feathers, Fierro told herself. Hopefully she could follow her infallible mantra.

Eventually Thimba and Wendell wandered off to investigate a long slender ship, leaving Fierro alone with Eztli. Gleefully, the Coatl steered the Tundra away to another vessel, glad to be away from Thimba. The sounds of a quiet argument could be heard even from where she stood.

“I still don’t get why you’re helping them,” Fierro remarked, eyeing a schooner and its two masts. “I wouldn’t want to stand them.”

“I suppose I’m just very patient,” The Tundra replied. After a pause, they pulled their lips back in the resemblance of a smile.

“I’ve noticed.” It’s very annoying. She inhaled, then lowered her voice. “Why would you do it, though? Wendell’s a wildcard about to snap at any second; Thimba’s even worse – what could you possibly get out of this? This is a situation heading for disaster.”

“Is it a bad thing to help someone?”

“Why would you if it didn’t mean anything?” Fierro stared at the waters lapping against the boat’s hull. Talking to Eztli about a controversial topic, it was tempting to let all her strings unravel and fly loose. For once, just tell someone how she felt, not what she wanted to say. But old habits kept those threads tightly bound.

Eztli blinked at her. “Should it?”

“Maybe it should. It doesn’t make any sense to do something and not get something out of it.”

“But I am getting something out of it.”

“What?”

“I’m getting that feeling of satisfaction knowing I’ve made someone else’s day better,” Their face twitched upwards in a smirk. “I think that’s plenty.”

“But it’s not plenty.”

“What do you mean?”

“It’s just not! I can’t do something for nothing! There has to be a physical reward I get at the end of it, something that I want.”

“Really?”

“Why not?” Yes, why not? She’d only ever do anything if it’d help her. Survival of the fittest – no, survival of the resourceful, more like. You took what you needed from the world, because it wouldn’t give you anything in return.

Eztli tilted their head.

“I get it,” Their long reddish mane was maroon in the faint light. “The world hasn’t treated you nicely and you don’t feel you should be nice to it either.”

“And I won’t.”

“You don’t have to. The world’s a big thing and it’s hard to get anything from it. You shouldn’t have to owe anything to it.”

“But-“ Eztli continued. “-there’s nothing wrong with being nice to others.”

“You might want to wrap it up.” Fierro raised a brow, noticing the shapes of Thimba and Wendell walking over to them.

“You can be nice to other dragons. That much you can control,” They finished, just as the other two came back.

“We found a ship over there that might work,” Wendell said.

Fierro looked over at Eztli, who stared back. Was she to take their advice? Care for others, as it was better than caring for the world? It sounded false and hopelessly naïve, to be honest. What sort of strength came from relying on other dragons? As much gall as Eztli had, Fierro wasn’t going to believe them any time soon.

I’ll follow my own advice, thank you very much. Who needed support?

“Well?” She turned to Wendell. “Let’s see this ship then.”

Man, I really need to get back into writing shape. I've been putting this Pinkerlocke off for too long. Sorry guys!

Ezt is lvl 5 now!

@RosaDiaz @Charias @Midwinter @Ellapinky @Orodruin @VeniVidiVici @DootTheBang @amble @FallenEclipse @Razatharia @Umaroth @RadioReprise @namrathel @Petall @TundraKitsune @catmeow1 @Mystic9187 @Nightdraco
tumblr_o95tvaQl9V1tv56zio6_250.png
Loki - They/Them - FR Time 0+
Lore thread (WIP)
Dressing Service
Call of the Deep Lineage Project
@Dragonfire546

Ooo, a very interesting conversation! I love the dichotomy between Fierro's "only doing something if I get something out of it" versus Eztli's "Helping others is the most fulfilling thing to do."
@Dragonfire546

Ooo, a very interesting conversation! I love the dichotomy between Fierro's "only doing something if I get something out of it" versus Eztli's "Helping others is the most fulfilling thing to do."
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
[center][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/aa5c0d11068f10de92c1e34daaefd766/tumblr_o1zrsv44JN1ufdm5xo1_400.png[/img][/center] [center][font=times new roman][size=5]DAY 42[/size][/font] [item=false podid][/center] ----- The skies above were a dark sea, covered with clouds that hid the stars from view. Only the moon’s light could be seen, its silhouette a hazy white circle. Thimba quietly watched as the city disappeared. Somewhere at the back of the boat, Fierro was steering, but the trader couldn’t see her from where she was. It unnerved and saddened her to know that. [i]This isn’t my boat.[/i] The [i]Farseeker[/i] had been quite tiny, most of its space located in its hold for the cargo it’d carry. It was really only meant for one dragon, two if they were willing to sacrifice privacy. Of course, that would be a detriment given the current situation, where she had to ferry not one, not two, but [i]three[/i] dragons across Sornieth for an indeterminate amount of time. What an unexpected turn of events. She slumped down where she was, listening to the waves. Once, that sound would’ve soothed her. It only served now to remind her she was soon to lose a part of her. The plan was to steer the boat to where the [i]Farseeker[/i] was located, and then for Thimba and Eztli to head off to the mentioned cove, where they could stash it. After, Fierro would bring the new boat over, and they’d move all the cargo from the smaller vessel onto the bigger one. Then the four of them would head off, leaving the smaller boat behind. The trip to the cove where they’d first landed was short. As the [i]Farseeker[/i] came into view, its single lantern out, Thimba felt more morose than ever. Couldn’t she just- not leave it here? It felt like the sun to her now, something she didn’t realize she so desperately needed until it was gone. Why couldn’t they just use the [i]Farseeker?[/i] So what if it were tiny and old? Could sentimental value not be enough to save it? No. It couldn’t. In the end, feelings were worthless things proving only to be hindrances. They arrived at the bay at last, and Thimba disembarked with Eztli in tow. They got into the small ship. Soon, the boat was heading off on one of its last voyages. [i]Will I be able to come back for it? What if it isn’t there when I come back?[/i] A lazy spiral of thoughts spun through her head. She felt like she were watching through a window, this fateful final journey. “There,” Eztli pointed ahead, to a tiny outcropping jutting out, concealing beneath it a secret cave. “That’s the place,” With a reassuring half-smile they looked at Thimba. “I used to come here a lot with my sister. We didn’t think anyone’d ever seen it before – and hopefully, it stayed that way.” “Hopefully,” Thimba echoed sadly. The next moments crawled by as they waited for Fierro and Wendell. Ironically, it also felt like only a second before the other two finally showed up. Perhaps when you were stricken, time lost meaning. They carried the supplies into the new boat, checking for freshness while they were at it. Wendell had deemed some of the more rotted items fit for consumption, which Fierro belittled him for (“What, do you. [i]want[/i] to eat trash and fall ill?”). Thimba merely helped without really paying attention. All her thoughts were of the [i]Farseeker[/i] and how she’d be leaving it soon. This emotional chokehold was something she’d only experienced twice before. Once, when her father died. Twice, when the consequences of her choices came back to kick her to the curb. And now this. But it didn’t matter the event, what mattered was that she hated feeling this way, and felt nothing but helplessness crawling up to consume her. She was dreading the moment her eyes would witness the [i]Farseeker[/i] for the last time. Finally, they’d finished their task, and were ready to leave. Fierro boarded the new ship first, followed by Eztli. Wendell started to leave too. Thimba turned in her tracks, intending to look at her vessel once more before her departure. …She hated this boat once. It hadn’t been hers, but rather her master’s, and it’d been called something horrid, a name that served for her to hate the vessel more. But once it became hers, she had no choice but to use it. Eventually, she grew to love it. It was then she renamed it and made it hers. Why had she named it “The Farseeker?” Out of some longing for freedom, an ache to leave the Icefield and return to mainland Sornieth, perhaps. A poetic name that she’d thought long and hard about. That helped her learn to care for the vessel. So many memories. So many years of being together. [i]And now, I’m to throw it all away.[/i] “Thimba?” Blinking away tears, she looked behind her to see Wendell. Or was it someone else? In her sadness she didn’t know. “Aren’t you coming?” He said again, his voice soft. Thimba took a deep breath. “…I don’t know.” A long, long pause. Then: “Did it mean a lot to you?” “…I thought it wouldn’t. I hated this vessel before,” Her second inhale was a shaky one. “But it was all I had – it gave me the freedom I couldn’t have. Now, I’m to put it aside. I just… find this very hard to believe.” “…I’m, er, sorry.” She didn’t reply. “I- I mean it. I figured it was important to you, I didn’t realize [i]how[/i] important though.” Wendell fidgeted uncomfortably. His red eyes were twin beacons, dim and dark like blood moons. “Uh- you can come back for it, once… once this is over.” “I know,” Thimba wrapped her wings around herself, glancing down. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Wendell extend an arm, reaching for her shoulder, then retract it. With yet another breath – this one promising tears – Thimba spoke. “I knew I’d have to do this, I just- just-“ Something warm ran down her cheek. “[i]I didn’t know what I’d do when it happened.[/i] “And it’s not even all that serious; doesn’t matter, no? I can just get another, or as you – [i]hic[/i] – said, I can come back to fetch it. Yet- yet it feels so real- and this sounds silly, but- “ Her eyes met Wendell’s pleadingly. “-what if I never find it again?” The Wildclaw averted his eyes. “I can’t believe I’m crying over this.” She wiped away her tears, attempting to chuckle. “It’s just a silly old boat.” “It’s not, though.” Thimba tilted her head. “It means something to you,” Wendell managed to look at her again. “It’s yours. And even if you never see it again, you’ll always have the memory of it. Sometimes… sometimes we can’t stop ourselves from losing things. So what we can do instead is… is never forget, I guess.” His voice dropped with those last words. Overhead, the sky began to clear, and pinpricks of light peeked through the cosmic blackness. On the ship, Fierro’s voice could be heard as she conversed with Eztli. Thimba looked at Wendell, and he looked back. She shouldn’t have believed he could say that. But after that scene on the ship, after his confession in the alley, after that night in the hallway… Maybe… maybe she could believe him. “That’s the wisest thing I’ve ever heard you say,” She responded. Wendell bristled. “I’m being honest.” “I know, I know,” Thimba laughed, waving a paw. “But – joke aside – thank you, I suppose.” The Wildclaw blinked once, then twice, then bunched up his shoulders. “You’re, um, welcome.” She giggled again. “Come on, let’s embark before Fierro decides to leave without us.” “Oh, yeah, [i]definitely.[/i] You know she’d do that,” He followed her, and together they climbed aboard. As they sailed off into the night, Thimba watched the [i]Farseeker[/i] grow smaller and smaller until it was gone. [i]This might be the last time I ever see it.[/i] It made her melancholy, but it also made her glad. A loss didn’t mean the end of the world. She felt renewed, alive almost. This was a new beginning into something she couldn’t understand. She was going across an entire continent with Eztli and Wendell, and Fierro, for some time. Her thoughts flicking back to Wendell, she glanced over at his silhouette, his angled shape lit by the lantern swinging from the mast. He returned her look and dipped his head in acknowledgement. Smiling softly, Thimba turned back to the horizon and began counting the stars above. ----- Ahhhhh this pull was probably my favourite. I feel a lot more confident about my writing now, and managed to produce this masterpiece! I kid you not, I was straight up ready to cry when I wrote Wendell offering advice to Thimba. Wuuuuahhhhhgh, emotionssss ;-; Hope you all are staying safe during this pandemic! Wash your hands and stay home! @RosaDiaz @Charias @Midwinter @Ellapinky @Orodruin @VeniVidiVici @DootTheBang @amble @FallenEclipse @Razatharia @Umaroth @RadioReprise @namrathel @Petall @TundraKitsune @catmeow1 @Mystic9187 @Nightdraco [center][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/aa5c0d11068f10de92c1e34daaefd766/tumblr_o1zrsv44JN1ufdm5xo1_400.png[/img][/center]
DAY 42
False Podid

The skies above were a dark sea, covered with clouds that hid the stars from view. Only the moon’s light could be seen, its silhouette a hazy white circle. Thimba quietly watched as the city disappeared. Somewhere at the back of the boat, Fierro was steering, but the trader couldn’t see her from where she was. It unnerved and saddened her to know that.

This isn’t my boat. The Farseeker had been quite tiny, most of its space located in its hold for the cargo it’d carry. It was really only meant for one dragon, two if they were willing to sacrifice privacy. Of course, that would be a detriment given the current situation, where she had to ferry not one, not two, but three dragons across Sornieth for an indeterminate amount of time.

What an unexpected turn of events. She slumped down where she was, listening to the waves. Once, that sound would’ve soothed her. It only served now to remind her she was soon to lose a part of her.

The plan was to steer the boat to where the Farseeker was located, and then for Thimba and Eztli to head off to the mentioned cove, where they could stash it. After, Fierro would bring the new boat over, and they’d move all the cargo from the smaller vessel onto the bigger one. Then the four of them would head off, leaving the smaller boat behind.

The trip to the cove where they’d first landed was short. As the Farseeker came into view, its single lantern out, Thimba felt more morose than ever.

Couldn’t she just- not leave it here? It felt like the sun to her now, something she didn’t realize she so desperately needed until it was gone. Why couldn’t they just use the Farseeker? So what if it were tiny and old? Could sentimental value not be enough to save it?

No. It couldn’t. In the end, feelings were worthless things proving only to be hindrances.

They arrived at the bay at last, and Thimba disembarked with Eztli in tow. They got into the small ship. Soon, the boat was heading off on one of its last voyages.

Will I be able to come back for it? What if it isn’t there when I come back? A lazy spiral of thoughts spun through her head. She felt like she were watching through a window, this fateful final journey.

“There,” Eztli pointed ahead, to a tiny outcropping jutting out, concealing beneath it a secret cave. “That’s the place,” With a reassuring half-smile they looked at Thimba. “I used to come here a lot with my sister. We didn’t think anyone’d ever seen it before – and hopefully, it stayed that way.”

“Hopefully,” Thimba echoed sadly.

The next moments crawled by as they waited for Fierro and Wendell. Ironically, it also felt like only a second before the other two finally showed up. Perhaps when you were stricken, time lost meaning.

They carried the supplies into the new boat, checking for freshness while they were at it. Wendell had deemed some of the more rotted items fit for consumption, which Fierro belittled him for (“What, do you. want to eat trash and fall ill?”). Thimba merely helped without really paying attention. All her thoughts were of the Farseeker and how she’d be leaving it soon.

This emotional chokehold was something she’d only experienced twice before. Once, when her father died. Twice, when the consequences of her choices came back to kick her to the curb. And now this. But it didn’t matter the event, what mattered was that she hated feeling this way, and felt nothing but helplessness crawling up to consume her. She was dreading the moment her eyes would witness the Farseeker for the last time.

Finally, they’d finished their task, and were ready to leave. Fierro boarded the new ship first, followed by Eztli. Wendell started to leave too. Thimba turned in her tracks, intending to look at her vessel once more before her departure.

…She hated this boat once. It hadn’t been hers, but rather her master’s, and it’d been called something horrid, a name that served for her to hate the vessel more. But once it became hers, she had no choice but to use it. Eventually, she grew to love it. It was then she renamed it and made it hers.

Why had she named it “The Farseeker?” Out of some longing for freedom, an ache to leave the Icefield and return to mainland Sornieth, perhaps. A poetic name that she’d thought long and hard about. That helped her learn to care for the vessel.

So many memories. So many years of being together.

And now, I’m to throw it all away.

“Thimba?”

Blinking away tears, she looked behind her to see Wendell. Or was it someone else? In her sadness she didn’t know.

“Aren’t you coming?” He said again, his voice soft.

Thimba took a deep breath. “…I don’t know.”

A long, long pause. Then: “Did it mean a lot to you?”

“…I thought it wouldn’t. I hated this vessel before,” Her second inhale was a shaky one. “But it was all I had – it gave me the freedom I couldn’t have. Now, I’m to put it aside. I just… find this very hard to believe.”

“…I’m, er, sorry.”

She didn’t reply.

“I- I mean it. I figured it was important to you, I didn’t realize how important though.” Wendell fidgeted uncomfortably. His red eyes were twin beacons, dim and dark like blood moons. “Uh- you can come back for it, once… once this is over.”

“I know,” Thimba wrapped her wings around herself, glancing down. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Wendell extend an arm, reaching for her shoulder, then retract it.

With yet another breath – this one promising tears – Thimba spoke. “I knew I’d have to do this, I just- just-“ Something warm ran down her cheek. “I didn’t know what I’d do when it happened.

“And it’s not even all that serious; doesn’t matter, no? I can just get another, or as you – hic – said, I can come back to fetch it. Yet- yet it feels so real- and this sounds silly, but- “

Her eyes met Wendell’s pleadingly. “-what if I never find it again?”

The Wildclaw averted his eyes.

“I can’t believe I’m crying over this.” She wiped away her tears, attempting to chuckle. “It’s just a silly old boat.”

“It’s not, though.”

Thimba tilted her head.

“It means something to you,” Wendell managed to look at her again. “It’s yours. And even if you never see it again, you’ll always have the memory of it. Sometimes… sometimes we can’t stop ourselves from losing things. So what we can do instead is… is never forget, I guess.” His voice dropped with those last words.

Overhead, the sky began to clear, and pinpricks of light peeked through the cosmic blackness. On the ship, Fierro’s voice could be heard as she conversed with Eztli. Thimba looked at Wendell, and he looked back.

She shouldn’t have believed he could say that. But after that scene on the ship, after his confession in the alley, after that night in the hallway…

Maybe… maybe she could believe him.

“That’s the wisest thing I’ve ever heard you say,” She responded. Wendell bristled.

“I’m being honest.”

“I know, I know,” Thimba laughed, waving a paw. “But – joke aside – thank you, I suppose.”

The Wildclaw blinked once, then twice, then bunched up his shoulders. “You’re, um, welcome.”

She giggled again. “Come on, let’s embark before Fierro decides to leave without us.”

“Oh, yeah, definitely. You know she’d do that,” He followed her, and together they climbed aboard.

As they sailed off into the night, Thimba watched the Farseeker grow smaller and smaller until it was gone.

This might be the last time I ever see it. It made her melancholy, but it also made her glad. A loss didn’t mean the end of the world. She felt renewed, alive almost. This was a new beginning into something she couldn’t understand. She was going across an entire continent with Eztli and Wendell, and Fierro, for some time.

Her thoughts flicking back to Wendell, she glanced over at his silhouette, his angled shape lit by the lantern swinging from the mast. He returned her look and dipped his head in acknowledgement.

Smiling softly, Thimba turned back to the horizon and began counting the stars above.

Ahhhhh this pull was probably my favourite. I feel a lot more confident about my writing now, and managed to produce this masterpiece! I kid you not, I was straight up ready to cry when I wrote Wendell offering advice to Thimba. Wuuuuahhhhhgh, emotionssss ;-;

Hope you all are staying safe during this pandemic! Wash your hands and stay home!

@RosaDiaz @Charias @Midwinter @Ellapinky @Orodruin @VeniVidiVici @DootTheBang @amble @FallenEclipse @Razatharia @Umaroth @RadioReprise @namrathel @Petall @TundraKitsune @catmeow1 @Mystic9187 @Nightdraco
Lore thread (WIP)
Dressing Service
@Dragonfire546

Awwwww you did a really good job writing this chapter, you made me get emotional about a boat! Also, Wendell helping her out and consoling her was the sweetest! I didn't know he had it in him! That's what made the moment all the more touching!
@Dragonfire546

Awwwww you did a really good job writing this chapter, you made me get emotional about a boat! Also, Wendell helping her out and consoling her was the sweetest! I didn't know he had it in him! That's what made the moment all the more touching!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
[center][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/aa5c0d11068f10de92c1e34daaefd766/tumblr_o1zrsv44JN1ufdm5xo1_400.png[/img][/center] [center][font=times new roman][size=5]DAY 43[/size][/font] [item=red-crested tweeter][/center] ----- A dreary day it was, with the clouds above dark grey, ominous in guise. Puddles lay on the cobblestones, remnants of a previous rainfall. Through the parapets above, a weak wind blew, meekly lifting the flags. The streets were emptier than they were before. Odin lifted his nose and sniffed the air, picking out from the mixture of dragon scents that familiar unfamiliarity. He growled at the oily smell. [i]I will find you.[/i] He thought, following the trail. [i]You will rue the day you were born. Once I bring you back, you will rot in the Fortress forever and ever.[/i] “Wait for me!” A wheedling voice cut into his thoughts as Aora dashed over to him. The Mirror’s foot landed in a puddle, splashing water all over the Gaoler. Odin flared his nostrils in an open display of irritation. “Sorry- you just walk so [i]fast,[/i]” Aora huffed. “Then keep up,” He kept walking. “Woah! Odin- Odin, if you’re going to let me help you, then you’ve got to let me stay with you!” The Gaoler clenched his jaw. There was no point in responding to Aora; it was his decision to follow him, and if he would not comply with Odin’s requirements, then he should not have come at all. The Mirror would need to make himself adapt. He kept following his target’s scent, noticing traces of wood smoke mixed in with it as he moved forward. The smell of sea salt mingled with its scent as well. Odin could not tell where it had gone. [i]What sort of place has burnt wood and ocean? Had it set something on fire?[/i] He quickened his pace, earning a yelp from Aora as the professor struggled to match his pace. [i]Where are you now, beast?[/i] The trail led him to an empty harbour, a sign saying it was a ship vendor’s place hanging on a nearby post. It was fenced off with a ribbon reading KEEP OUT. Beyond that, he could see a warehouse with its roof missing, the walls scorched black by a fire, and he realized that it was the source of the burnt wood smell. The ocean scent was because it was near the sea. [i]Near the sea…[/i] It hit him like a ton of bricks. “No, no, no.” Odin quickly stepped over the ribbon and trotted onto the docks, eyeing the shiny new ships anxiously. Several bystanders gave him funny looks. “No no no no-“ “Odin? Odin!” Aora called out. But he ignored him. [i]It could not have- no- it could not have done so-[/i] But the facts kept lining up, the truth hanging ominously over his head like an executioner’s axe. And sooner or later, it would come down. The deeper into the yard he followed the trail, the deeper the pit in his stomach became. Odin followed the oily scent to one of the further docks. He stopped at the very end, eyes glazed with horror. “Windsinger’s Grace, Odin!” A panting behind him told the Gaoler that Aora had caught up. The Mirror skidded to a halt beside him, breathing loudly. “This is a restricted area! As fond as I am of pushing boundaries, this is not acceptable! The police could come at any second! And I am pretty sure lots of dragons are starting to [i]stare-[/i]” But Odin didn’t say anything. He just stared, his body trembling with barely contained rage. “…Odin?” In the perfect row of new boats waiting to be sold was one very conspicuous space. The rope swung dejectedly in the water. It was here that the shade-scent ended. [i]It is gone.[/i] Odin curled his claws into his hand. He exhaled loudly, greenish energy fluttering from his nose. Aora gave him a nervous look. “Oh- uh, what’s the matter? You’re heating up bad,” The professor adjusted his glasses. [i]Gone for Icewarden knows where.[/i] He slammed a paw into the ground. He thought he could catch it here, get this over with, and come back home a hero and forgiven. But nothing in life was ever that easy, was it? There would be no rest for him. “Odin, are you alright?” A small paw rested on his arm. Odin flinched and drew away, causing Aora to step back hastily. “Oop, sorry. Didn’t realize you were touch-sensitive.” “No matter,” Odin thought for a moment. “…Is it… the ‘thing’ from your past?” Aora’s voice was low, without its usual excitedness. “Did it get away?” Odin frowned. “…Yes.” “Ah… I am so sorry.” “I thought I would have it.” “But- you can still track it down, right? You came all this way; you can’t give up now. It’s not too late to make a difference!” He thought for a bit, then perked up. “Oh! Oh! Maybe, you should consider what it’d do.” “I’m sorry?” “Even if it weren’t sapient, it’s still sentient. It’s still got instincts and impulses, and it’d [i]act[/i] on those impulses, right?” Under Odin’s scrutinizing gaze, the Mirror chuckled awkwardly. “So I’m just suggesting you think about that, pretend to be it for a second and think: ‘[i]what would I do, if I were some crazy shade-touched beast?[/i]’ But, it’s just a suggestion, so…” Aora did have a point there. Odin had not considered such a tactic, but he was hesitant to follow the professor’s advice. Why would he want to step into its footprints, to think like it so he could better understand where it would go? The blow to his dignity he would have to endure. Even if it were a suitable method, it was… less than savoury. He wanted to distance it from himself as much as possible. Rrrgh, but he still had to find it. What did he value more, his honour or his position? [i]This is something I must do no matter the course.[/i] He wanted his position. He wanted it bad. Besides, this was only temporary; he need not lament the blow to his honour. It was not like he had any to lose. Once he was a Seeker again, it would be alright. He could forget everything he had done. It would be hard to change, to resort to tactics he considered lesser. But… [i]Just this once. Just once.[/i] Odin thought, taking a deep breath. “You have… a point, Aora,” He turned away and trotted back to the entrance, the Mirror following him. Aora beamed. “That’s the nicest thing you’ve ever said to me.” “I am going to pretend you did not say that.” He stepped over the ribbon and back onto the streets, plowing through the gathered crowd watching him curiously. “Suuuuure,” He laughed. “So, what will you do?” Odin stopped at an intersection and turned his head. Beyond, the wind began to pick up, tossing the sea errantly as it blew. Many houses began to shutter their windows. Aora wrapped a hand protectively around his briefcase. “I will not give up,” Odin said solemnly. “Oh, okay?” “I will find it, if that is the last thing I do,” He observed the ocean’s crashing movements. [i]Crash,[/i] it went against the boardwalk, threatening to spill onto the cobbles. It had been a disappointing turn of events, but he would not let one small setback deter him. No, in fact, he was even more determined now to hunt down his target. Let it run as far as it can go; it did not matter what it would do, Odin would find it, and he would bring it back. If he had to search the ends of the continent, then he would. If he had to sail off across the sea to places unknown, then he would. The fire in his belly burned hotter than before. [i]I wonder how far you can run?[/i] The sky opened, and it began to rain. ----- it literally just hit me that Odin's a nature dragon. I am boo boo the fool y'all @RosaDiaz @Charias @Midwinter @Ellapinky @Orodruin @VeniVidiVici @DootTheBang @amble @FallenEclipse @Razatharia @Umaroth @RadioReprise @namrathel @Petall @TundraKitsune @catmeow1 @Mystic9187 @Nightdraco [center][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/aa5c0d11068f10de92c1e34daaefd766/tumblr_o1zrsv44JN1ufdm5xo1_400.png[/img][/center]
DAY 43
Red-Crested Tweeter

A dreary day it was, with the clouds above dark grey, ominous in guise. Puddles lay on the cobblestones, remnants of a previous rainfall. Through the parapets above, a weak wind blew, meekly lifting the flags. The streets were emptier than they were before.

Odin lifted his nose and sniffed the air, picking out from the mixture of dragon scents that familiar unfamiliarity. He growled at the oily smell.

I will find you. He thought, following the trail. You will rue the day you were born. Once I bring you back, you will rot in the Fortress forever and ever.

“Wait for me!” A wheedling voice cut into his thoughts as Aora dashed over to him. The Mirror’s foot landed in a puddle, splashing water all over the Gaoler. Odin flared his nostrils in an open display of irritation.

“Sorry- you just walk so fast,” Aora huffed.

“Then keep up,” He kept walking.

“Woah! Odin- Odin, if you’re going to let me help you, then you’ve got to let me stay with you!”

The Gaoler clenched his jaw. There was no point in responding to Aora; it was his decision to follow him, and if he would not comply with Odin’s requirements, then he should not have come at all. The Mirror would need to make himself adapt. He kept following his target’s scent, noticing traces of wood smoke mixed in with it as he moved forward. The smell of sea salt mingled with its scent as well. Odin could not tell where it had gone.

What sort of place has burnt wood and ocean? Had it set something on fire? He quickened his pace, earning a yelp from Aora as the professor struggled to match his pace.

Where are you now, beast?

The trail led him to an empty harbour, a sign saying it was a ship vendor’s place hanging on a nearby post. It was fenced off with a ribbon reading KEEP OUT. Beyond that, he could see a warehouse with its roof missing, the walls scorched black by a fire, and he realized that it was the source of the burnt wood smell. The ocean scent was because it was near the sea.

Near the sea…

It hit him like a ton of bricks.

“No, no, no.” Odin quickly stepped over the ribbon and trotted onto the docks, eyeing the shiny new ships anxiously. Several bystanders gave him funny looks. “No no no no-“

“Odin? Odin!” Aora called out. But he ignored him.

It could not have- no- it could not have done so- But the facts kept lining up, the truth hanging ominously over his head like an executioner’s axe. And sooner or later, it would come down.

The deeper into the yard he followed the trail, the deeper the pit in his stomach became. Odin followed the oily scent to one of the further docks. He stopped at the very end, eyes glazed with horror.

“Windsinger’s Grace, Odin!” A panting behind him told the Gaoler that Aora had caught up. The Mirror skidded to a halt beside him, breathing loudly. “This is a restricted area! As fond as I am of pushing boundaries, this is not acceptable! The police could come at any second! And I am pretty sure lots of dragons are starting to stare-

But Odin didn’t say anything. He just stared, his body trembling with barely contained rage.

“…Odin?”

In the perfect row of new boats waiting to be sold was one very conspicuous space. The rope swung dejectedly in the water. It was here that the shade-scent ended.

It is gone.

Odin curled his claws into his hand. He exhaled loudly, greenish energy fluttering from his nose. Aora gave him a nervous look.

“Oh- uh, what’s the matter? You’re heating up bad,” The professor adjusted his glasses.

Gone for Icewarden knows where. He slammed a paw into the ground. He thought he could catch it here, get this over with, and come back home a hero and forgiven. But nothing in life was ever that easy, was it? There would be no rest for him.

“Odin, are you alright?” A small paw rested on his arm. Odin flinched and drew away, causing Aora to step back hastily. “Oop, sorry. Didn’t realize you were touch-sensitive.”

“No matter,” Odin thought for a moment.

“…Is it… the ‘thing’ from your past?” Aora’s voice was low, without its usual excitedness. “Did it get away?”

Odin frowned. “…Yes.”

“Ah… I am so sorry.”

“I thought I would have it.”

“But- you can still track it down, right? You came all this way; you can’t give up now. It’s not too late to make a difference!” He thought for a bit, then perked up. “Oh! Oh! Maybe, you should consider what it’d do.”

“I’m sorry?”

“Even if it weren’t sapient, it’s still sentient. It’s still got instincts and impulses, and it’d act on those impulses, right?”

Under Odin’s scrutinizing gaze, the Mirror chuckled awkwardly. “So I’m just suggesting you think about that, pretend to be it for a second and think: ‘what would I do, if I were some crazy shade-touched beast?’ But, it’s just a suggestion, so…”

Aora did have a point there. Odin had not considered such a tactic, but he was hesitant to follow the professor’s advice. Why would he want to step into its footprints, to think like it so he could better understand where it would go? The blow to his dignity he would have to endure. Even if it were a suitable method, it was… less than savoury. He wanted to distance it from himself as much as possible.

Rrrgh, but he still had to find it. What did he value more, his honour or his position?

This is something I must do no matter the course. He wanted his position. He wanted it bad. Besides, this was only temporary; he need not lament the blow to his honour. It was not like he had any to lose.

Once he was a Seeker again, it would be alright. He could forget everything he had done. It would be hard to change, to resort to tactics he considered lesser. But…

Just this once. Just once. Odin thought, taking a deep breath.

“You have… a point, Aora,” He turned away and trotted back to the entrance, the Mirror following him.

Aora beamed. “That’s the nicest thing you’ve ever said to me.”

“I am going to pretend you did not say that.” He stepped over the ribbon and back onto the streets, plowing through the gathered crowd watching him curiously.

“Suuuuure,” He laughed. “So, what will you do?”

Odin stopped at an intersection and turned his head. Beyond, the wind began to pick up, tossing the sea errantly as it blew. Many houses began to shutter their windows. Aora wrapped a hand protectively around his briefcase.

“I will not give up,” Odin said solemnly.

“Oh, okay?”

“I will find it, if that is the last thing I do,” He observed the ocean’s crashing movements. Crash, it went against the boardwalk, threatening to spill onto the cobbles.

It had been a disappointing turn of events, but he would not let one small setback deter him. No, in fact, he was even more determined now to hunt down his target. Let it run as far as it can go; it did not matter what it would do, Odin would find it, and he would bring it back. If he had to search the ends of the continent, then he would. If he had to sail off across the sea to places unknown, then he would. The fire in his belly burned hotter than before.

I wonder how far you can run?

The sky opened, and it began to rain.

it literally just hit me that Odin's a nature dragon. I am boo boo the fool y'all

Lore thread (WIP)
Dressing Service
@Dragonfire546

Ooooooo the chase continues! I'm excited to see how well these two keep up to the others! Also, I loved how you described the smells leading up to the discovery of what happened at the docks!
@Dragonfire546

Ooooooo the chase continues! I'm excited to see how well these two keep up to the others! Also, I loved how you described the smells leading up to the discovery of what happened at the docks!
@Petall Thank you!! Odin's probably one of my favourite characters

On an unrelated note - thank you for all of your comments ^^ It's really inspiring to see that you like the pinkerlocke so much aaaaaaa
@Petall Thank you!! Odin's probably one of my favourite characters

On an unrelated note - thank you for all of your comments ^^ It's really inspiring to see that you like the pinkerlocke so much aaaaaaa
Lore thread (WIP)
Dressing Service
@Dragonfire546

It's honestly one of my favourite Pinkerlockes that I've read! It steps out of the usual Pinkerlocke structure of building a clan of dragons, and instead spreads the characters around and interacts with the world in a really unique way! It honestly feels like I'm reading a book in the way that a lot of Pinkerlockes don't (which isn't a bad thing, I love the Pinkerlocke structure of story), but it's a breath of fresh air and the characters are so well fleshed out, I always get excited about reading new chapters!
@Dragonfire546

It's honestly one of my favourite Pinkerlockes that I've read! It steps out of the usual Pinkerlocke structure of building a clan of dragons, and instead spreads the characters around and interacts with the world in a really unique way! It honestly feels like I'm reading a book in the way that a lot of Pinkerlockes don't (which isn't a bad thing, I love the Pinkerlocke structure of story), but it's a breath of fresh air and the characters are so well fleshed out, I always get excited about reading new chapters!
@Petall AHHHHH OH MY GOD THANK YOU SO MUCH,,,,,, this is such a touching comment I can't even OOUGHH

Your support means so much to me, seriously. Every time you post a comment it makes me so happy ;-; I can't say thank you enough ahh
@Petall AHHHHH OH MY GOD THANK YOU SO MUCH,,,,,, this is such a touching comment I can't even OOUGHH

Your support means so much to me, seriously. Every time you post a comment it makes me so happy ;-; I can't say thank you enough ahh
Lore thread (WIP)
Dressing Service
[center][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/aa5c0d11068f10de92c1e34daaefd766/tumblr_o1zrsv44JN1ufdm5xo1_400.png[/img][/center] [center][font=times new roman][size=5]DAY 44[/size][/font] [item=rippleconch][/center] ----- Wendell found it a little hard to believe that he got this far; he thought he’d surely end up in another prison somewhere, or even back at the Fortress again, this time in a deeper and more high-security jail cell. But somehow, through good decisions or sheer, stupid luck, he was here, on a prow sailing towards salvation. It wasn’t quite what he wanted, but it was enough. He could feel a little joy over this. How much had changed since he fled the prison? A lot. He’d met Thimba, he encountered pirates, had Fierro tag along, et cetera, et cetera. Then there was that time he got electrocuted – a [i]very[/i] nasty experience – and the other time a mutated rat nearly killed him. And he couldn’t forget Eztli, the annoyingly nice Tundra who just couldn’t hold a grudge… [i]And the only dragon here who knows what’s going on with me.[/i] The Wildclaw eyed Eztli, who helping Thimba with the sails. Eztli may’ve known, but even they weren’t aware of what was really going on. And neither did the others. They didn’t know the truth. They didn’t know he was Shade-touched, or whatever they called creatures that had been infected by the [i]thing.[/i] They didn’t know time was running out for him, that eventually he would succumb to the void within and no longer be Wendell. Would it be better if he shared his secret? So that the heaviest of his burdens would be easier to bear? [i]…No. I can’t.[/i] It was too intimate to reveal. He couldn’t tell anyone about it. [i]This is my secret alone.[/i] “That’s the last of the ropes – thanks a lot, Eztli,” Thimba smiled at the Tundra, who flicked their ears, pulling their lips back in a wonky smirk. “No problem.” “So, where exactly are we going next?” Fierro appeared from behind the cabin, her goggles catching the midday light. “Because I’d like to be stuck with you all for no more than two days.” “…Right,” Thimba scratched her crest. “I’ve got a map on me, let me just…” She dug into the pouches at her side, rummaged about for a minute, and pulled out a tattered piece of fabric that looked way too old to still be intact. “It’s a bit old, I’m afraid,” She spread it out on the deck. “I bought it from another trader. I’m not sure where they even got it from; it was this ancient in appearance when I first got it.” Wendell trotted over, squinting down at the faded cloth. “No doubt about that.” “My belief is that we are somewhere along the eastern coast of the Windswept Plateau,” She pointed at a circular shape. “The fastest way to get to the Viridian Labyrinth would be through the Updraft’s Wake-“ Her claw trailed a line separating the Plateau from the Ashfall Waste, supposedly representing a channel of sorts. “-into the Sea of a Thousand Currents, through the Sunbeam Ruins, and around the continent towards the Viridian Labyrinth.” “How long is it going to take?” “We’re travelling across an entire continent, so my estimate is several weeks.” [i]”Several weeks?!”[/i] Thimba groaned. “Gods, Wendell, we’re traversing [i]all of Sornieth.[/i] What did you expect?” “Oh my [i]gods.[/i]” “Sucks to suck, I guess,” Fierro snorted. “Lucky for me, I’m not hauling my tail over fifty miles of continent.” “Oh, [i]shut up![/i]” “Guys! All of you, stop that,” Eztli waved their claws in everyone’s faces, their tone as sharp as a tone without inflections could go. “Can we please keep petty arguments to a minimum?” “No promises,” Fierro said wryly, raising her brows at Wendell. He glared at her furiously. “Fierro.” “Fine, fine, I’ll stop.” “So, Thimba, where are we going next?” The guard cast a glance at the map. “I don’t see any towns on this map, just major cities and landmarks.” “Ah, yes, I’ve got a map for that. One second.” Thimba pulled out another piece of parchment, this one much newer and showing the Ashfall Waste in greater detail. Wendell could see a dark green line making its way across the surface. Small notes in neat looping handwriting appeared here and there along the mark, accompanied by a variety of symbols denoting certain locations. The writing was much too tiny to read though; he got a headache just trying to decipher Thimba’s penmanship. The trader spread out the second map on top of the first one. “There’s a nearby town called Asphodel; that’s the closest port settlement in the Ashfall Waste. It’s about a three-day trip, possible smooth sailing given the regular weather of this region. From there we can enter Updraft's Wake and into the Sea.” “It sounds like you know a lot about this place,” Eztli remarked. Thimba’s crest twitched, but she smiled instead. “I like to be prepared.” “So it’s settled then?” Fierro stood up, stretching her wings. “Up around the Plateau and straight to the next port? Thank the Tidelord.” She smirked at Thimba. “Guess you’ll be free of me soon.” The emerald Coatl worked her mouth in response. “Yes, I suppose.” “Well, [i]I’m[/i] glad,” Wendell said, getting up. “Let’s get to it, then. We’ve got a whole continent to cross.” ----- And it's back to the main guys! Online schooling is not a fun experience, ho man. Managed to crank this out amidst the really wonky schedule @RosaDiaz @Charias @Midwinter @Ellapinky @Orodruin @VeniVidiVici @DootTheBang @amble @FallenEclipse @Razatharia @Umaroth @RadioReprise @namrathel @Petall @TundraKitsune @catmeow1 @Mystic9187 @Nightdraco [center][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/aa5c0d11068f10de92c1e34daaefd766/tumblr_o1zrsv44JN1ufdm5xo1_400.png[/img][/center]
DAY 44
Rippleconch

Wendell found it a little hard to believe that he got this far; he thought he’d surely end up in another prison somewhere, or even back at the Fortress again, this time in a deeper and more high-security jail cell. But somehow, through good decisions or sheer, stupid luck, he was here, on a prow sailing towards salvation. It wasn’t quite what he wanted, but it was enough. He could feel a little joy over this.

How much had changed since he fled the prison? A lot. He’d met Thimba, he encountered pirates, had Fierro tag along, et cetera, et cetera. Then there was that time he got electrocuted – a very nasty experience – and the other time a mutated rat nearly killed him. And he couldn’t forget Eztli, the annoyingly nice Tundra who just couldn’t hold a grudge…

And the only dragon here who knows what’s going on with me.

The Wildclaw eyed Eztli, who helping Thimba with the sails. Eztli may’ve known, but even they weren’t aware of what was really going on. And neither did the others.

They didn’t know the truth. They didn’t know he was Shade-touched, or whatever they called creatures that had been infected by the thing. They didn’t know time was running out for him, that eventually he would succumb to the void within and no longer be Wendell.

Would it be better if he shared his secret? So that the heaviest of his burdens would be easier to bear?

…No. I can’t. It was too intimate to reveal. He couldn’t tell anyone about it.

This is my secret alone.

“That’s the last of the ropes – thanks a lot, Eztli,” Thimba smiled at the Tundra, who flicked their ears, pulling their lips back in a wonky smirk.

“No problem.”

“So, where exactly are we going next?” Fierro appeared from behind the cabin, her goggles catching the midday light. “Because I’d like to be stuck with you all for no more than two days.”

“…Right,” Thimba scratched her crest. “I’ve got a map on me, let me just…” She dug into the pouches at her side, rummaged about for a minute, and pulled out a tattered piece of fabric that looked way too old to still be intact.

“It’s a bit old, I’m afraid,” She spread it out on the deck. “I bought it from another trader. I’m not sure where they even got it from; it was this ancient in appearance when I first got it.”

Wendell trotted over, squinting down at the faded cloth. “No doubt about that.”

“My belief is that we are somewhere along the eastern coast of the Windswept Plateau,” She pointed at a circular shape. “The fastest way to get to the Viridian Labyrinth would be through the Updraft’s Wake-“ Her claw trailed a line separating the Plateau from the Ashfall Waste, supposedly representing a channel of sorts. “-into the Sea of a Thousand Currents, through the Sunbeam Ruins, and around the continent towards the Viridian Labyrinth.”

“How long is it going to take?”

“We’re travelling across an entire continent, so my estimate is several weeks.”

”Several weeks?!”

Thimba groaned. “Gods, Wendell, we’re traversing all of Sornieth. What did you expect?”

“Oh my gods.

“Sucks to suck, I guess,” Fierro snorted. “Lucky for me, I’m not hauling my tail over fifty miles of continent.”

“Oh, shut up!

“Guys! All of you, stop that,” Eztli waved their claws in everyone’s faces, their tone as sharp as a tone without inflections could go. “Can we please keep petty arguments to a minimum?”

“No promises,” Fierro said wryly, raising her brows at Wendell. He glared at her furiously.

“Fierro.”

“Fine, fine, I’ll stop.”

“So, Thimba, where are we going next?” The guard cast a glance at the map. “I don’t see any towns on this map, just major cities and landmarks.”

“Ah, yes, I’ve got a map for that. One second.”

Thimba pulled out another piece of parchment, this one much newer and showing the Ashfall Waste in greater detail. Wendell could see a dark green line making its way across the surface. Small notes in neat looping handwriting appeared here and there along the mark, accompanied by a variety of symbols denoting certain locations. The writing was much too tiny to read though; he got a headache just trying to decipher Thimba’s penmanship.

The trader spread out the second map on top of the first one. “There’s a nearby town called Asphodel; that’s the closest port settlement in the Ashfall Waste. It’s about a three-day trip, possible smooth sailing given the regular weather of this region. From there we can enter Updraft's Wake and into the Sea.”

“It sounds like you know a lot about this place,” Eztli remarked.

Thimba’s crest twitched, but she smiled instead. “I like to be prepared.”

“So it’s settled then?” Fierro stood up, stretching her wings. “Up around the Plateau and straight to the next port? Thank the Tidelord.” She smirked at Thimba. “Guess you’ll be free of me soon.”

The emerald Coatl worked her mouth in response. “Yes, I suppose.”

“Well, I’m glad,” Wendell said, getting up. “Let’s get to it, then. We’ve got a whole continent to cross.”

And it's back to the main guys!

Online schooling is not a fun experience, ho man. Managed to crank this out amidst the really wonky schedule

Lore thread (WIP)
Dressing Service
1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20