Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | Price of Power [100 Hatchling Challenge]
1 2 3 4
EEEE YOU’RE BACK, DANU’S BACK

And if you still have need for studs, I have several challenges running which you could borrow males from!
EEEE YOU’RE BACK, DANU’S BACK

And if you still have need for studs, I have several challenges running which you could borrow males from!

1C4RmMC.png
mlHpBMC.png
LF :: nests of
yMgLfNO.pnggem.pngcherubgeneeggivory.pngFz6gBO0.png
Aaah, so glad you're happy about it! Yep, I'm always in need of studs - pretty sure most of the old list have been exalted, haha!
Aaah, so glad you're happy about it! Yep, I'm always in need of studs - pretty sure most of the old list have been exalted, haha!
TTbPXX8.png
Of course! I remember I had slated one of my lads for this but then I exalted him myself, whoops. I definitely have a glut of RTB males at any given time though, so when Danu's ready for another victim mate, I can send one over!
Of course! I remember I had slated one of my lads for this but then I exalted him myself, whoops. I definitely have a glut of RTB males at any given time though, so when Danu's ready for another victim mate, I can send one over!

1C4RmMC.png
mlHpBMC.png
LF :: nests of
yMgLfNO.pnggem.pngcherubgeneeggivory.pngFz6gBO0.png
Pinglist please!
Pinglist please!
imp_1_latern_by_lifeisboredom-dalvsk4.png
Starfait
@CroisEnToi Added! So glad you're enjoying the carnage~

Don't be silly, Zippo, the men aren't her victims! That'll come later! But yeah, I'll poke you a few days after the next lore update to send someone over, yeah? I just need a vague personality/backstory for the unlucky guy, or else I can completely make something up, either way works for me!
@CroisEnToi Added! So glad you're enjoying the carnage~

Don't be silly, Zippo, the men aren't her victims! That'll come later! But yeah, I'll poke you a few days after the next lore update to send someone over, yeah? I just need a vague personality/backstory for the unlucky guy, or else I can completely make something up, either way works for me!
TTbPXX8.png
[right][size=2]@Ikilou @LadyIce @DragonPrincess27 @GloryEternal @Epioth @AdEternum @MonoDusk @DigDog @CrosEnToi @Fornara Certain favors have been asked for and granted, and certain dragons are watching the carnage unfold... A longer update this time, so sorry, but an important one! Zippo, send a dragon over whenever - her cooldown is finished in three days![/size][/right] Vaxildan still snored away in his drugged sleep even as the nest began to crackle. Danu paced atop the coiled cables of the nest. Her tail lashed behind her, her fans coiled and stretched, and she couldn't help but open her mouth, breathing in the scent. Hunger... it felt as if it consumed her, narrowing her focus to only the three soft glows nestled beneath. It wasn't as strong as the first one. Had she forgotten to change out the herbs, to create the ritual so they'd have more power? No matter. Soon- The first egg cracked. With an impatient screech, Danu dove into the nest, claws extended to rip open the shell and feast. ---- [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=44318997] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/443190/44318997_350.png[/img] [/url] Desert ghosted over the dry grasses, creeping low to the ground, wings tucked close to his body so not to scare his prey. The colony of burrowborrowers paid him no heed, and he had to stop his tail from twitching, ensuring it was held above the grass where no sound could alert the skittish little animals. Mirrors were always hungry - and it had been nearly two hours since his last meal. A dragon screamed. The burrowborrowers perked up instantly, scurrying this way and that. Desert snarled and leaped from cover, pouncing through the dry grass. It was too late. His claws landed on bare earth, pockmarked with holes too small for a Mirror's head or paws. He spent only a few seconds pacing, growling at the missed meal, before he heard the scream again. This time it was different - triumph, perhaps? It wasn't a Mirror, but Desert knew a food-cry when he heard one. Hungry, he broke into a lope across the Thunderhead Savanna, following the sound. Perhaps this dragon would be willing to share their meal. ---- The second egg cracked. The first child - a tiny Fae, eggshell still on its now-gray and shriveled wings, lay dead at Danu's feet. She licked her lips and preened her fins. A second egg. A second child. The power hummed within her, filling her up, making her feel more alive than she'd felt since- since, since ever, really. A soft rustle made her perk her fins up and look to the third egg. It wobbled among its cables, but no- that wasn't the rustle, now was it? A gleaming white head peeked over the side of the nest. "What-" muttered Vaxildan. The second egg cracked, a tiny little tail poking out. Danu pounced. Her teeth sank into the tail and she dragged the hatchling unceremoniously into the world, drawing blood, then recoiled at the taste. It was... bitter. No matter. The power was sweet, and she drew it in, consumed it as the hatchling thrashed. It cried out - the only sound it would ever make, a thin, reedy wail. "What-!" shouted Vaxildan. Coward. Cowards, [i]all[/i] of these drakes, Danu decided through the sweet electric haze, and when she was the mother of all, they would never be afraid of her again, now would they? "What?" responded a new voice. The second Fae hatchling lay dead with its sibling, gray and lifeless. Danu pushed herself up and stared at the third egg. It wobbled once more. Yes. Yes. Soon. But a second, unfamiliar face looked into the nest - a face of bent metal and staring black eyes which Danu saw herself in. Her eyes flared bright blue, her fans crackled with electricity, contorting in crazed positions she'd never thought fans could go into. She paused at the sight, confused. The dragon behind the lenses gave her an equal pause, its head fins puffing up. [i]Crack,[/i] went the third egg. Danu tore her eyes away from her reflection and reached for it. Her claw hummed as it got close. She could savor this one, let it tide her over until there were more children- But before her claw touched the shell, it was scooped away. Danu shrieked in rage and thrust herself up into the air, gathering up the new power within her. Vaxildan cowered at the edge of the cave. The intruder Mirror backed away from her, the egg disappearing into his satchel. "Get away from it! Egg thief!" "It's [i]mine[/i]," Danu hissed. The Mirror shook his head and kept backing away. It was Vaxildan who responded, carefully stepping away from the wall to cover the Mirror's retreat. "That makes you worse." Rage bubbled up in Danu. She let it crackle along her wings, imagined it coming from her eyes to dance along her fins like she'd seen in the Mirror's lenses. That child was [i]hers[/i], its power forfeit - and she. would. have. it. But Vaxildan leapt at her, his claws out. Everything went static blue. Danu smelled ozone, felt only rage, heard a shriek and a small, soft child's cry - but too far, too far, out of her reach! Another one- escaped! Her ears rang, and a blast echoed before everything went black. ----- Danu felt stiff. She pushed herself up, her bones popping, muscles protesting, and shook her head. That little nexus of fresh power still coiled within her belly, though it was less than she'd wanted - less than she'd deserved. Dust clouded the air. White glinted through the dust. Danu hopped and fluttered until she landed on the flank of the Wildclaw who had fathered this batch of children - his veil torn asunder, the golden band around his throat now dented and half-melted. He was alive, she thought, from the slight twitches of his chest, but barely. And she felt [i]power[/i] from him. Not as strong as from a hatchling, but still, power... One had gotten away. But this one hadn't. The Spiral had said hatchlings had to be consumed, but surely, she wasn't only trying to mother hatchlings. She wanted power over all dragonkind - so, all dragonkind were fair game, right? Vaxildan drew his last, shuddering breath, as Danu consumed his power and life for her own. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=51703018][img]https://i.imgur.com/1fTJ5lP.png[/img][/url][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=51703020][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/517031/51703020.png[/img][/url][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=41466001][img]https://i.imgur.com/XNTweqj.png[/img][/url][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=51703019][img]https://i.imgur.com/1fTJ5lP.png[/img][/url][/center] [size=2][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2481647/3#post_38826188]<--- Previous[/url][right][size=2][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2481647/4#post_39020612]Next --->[/url][/size]
@Ikilou @LadyIce @DragonPrincess27 @GloryEternal @Epioth @AdEternum @MonoDusk @DigDog @CrosEnToi @Fornara
Certain favors have been asked for and granted, and certain dragons are watching the carnage unfold... A longer update this time, so sorry, but an important one!
Zippo, send a dragon over whenever - her cooldown is finished in three days!

Vaxildan still snored away in his drugged sleep even as the nest began to crackle.

Danu paced atop the coiled cables of the nest. Her tail lashed behind her, her fans coiled and stretched, and she couldn't help but open her mouth, breathing in the scent. Hunger... it felt as if it consumed her, narrowing her focus to only the three soft glows nestled beneath.

It wasn't as strong as the first one. Had she forgotten to change out the herbs, to create the ritual so they'd have more power? No matter. Soon-

The first egg cracked.

With an impatient screech, Danu dove into the nest, claws extended to rip open the shell and feast.

----

44318997_350.png

Desert ghosted over the dry grasses, creeping low to the ground, wings tucked close to his body so not to scare his prey. The colony of burrowborrowers paid him no heed, and he had to stop his tail from twitching, ensuring it was held above the grass where no sound could alert the skittish little animals. Mirrors were always hungry - and it had been nearly two hours since his last meal.

A dragon screamed.

The burrowborrowers perked up instantly, scurrying this way and that. Desert snarled and leaped from cover, pouncing through the dry grass. It was too late. His claws landed on bare earth, pockmarked with holes too small for a Mirror's head or paws.

He spent only a few seconds pacing, growling at the missed meal, before he heard the scream again. This time it was different - triumph, perhaps? It wasn't a Mirror, but Desert knew a food-cry when he heard one.

Hungry, he broke into a lope across the Thunderhead Savanna, following the sound. Perhaps this dragon would be willing to share their meal.

----

The second egg cracked. The first child - a tiny Fae, eggshell still on its now-gray and shriveled wings, lay dead at Danu's feet. She licked her lips and preened her fins. A second egg. A second child. The power hummed within her, filling her up, making her feel more alive than she'd felt since- since, since ever, really.

A soft rustle made her perk her fins up and look to the third egg. It wobbled among its cables, but no- that wasn't the rustle, now was it? A gleaming white head peeked over the side of the nest.

"What-" muttered Vaxildan.

The second egg cracked, a tiny little tail poking out.

Danu pounced. Her teeth sank into the tail and she dragged the hatchling unceremoniously into the world, drawing blood, then recoiled at the taste. It was... bitter. No matter. The power was sweet, and she drew it in, consumed it as the hatchling thrashed. It cried out - the only sound it would ever make, a thin, reedy wail.

"What-!" shouted Vaxildan. Coward. Cowards, all of these drakes, Danu decided through the sweet electric haze, and when she was the mother of all, they would never be afraid of her again, now would they?

"What?" responded a new voice.

The second Fae hatchling lay dead with its sibling, gray and lifeless. Danu pushed herself up and stared at the third egg. It wobbled once more.

Yes. Yes. Soon.

But a second, unfamiliar face looked into the nest - a face of bent metal and staring black eyes which Danu saw herself in. Her eyes flared bright blue, her fans crackled with electricity, contorting in crazed positions she'd never thought fans could go into.

She paused at the sight, confused. The dragon behind the lenses gave her an equal pause, its head fins puffing up.

Crack, went the third egg.

Danu tore her eyes away from her reflection and reached for it. Her claw hummed as it got close. She could savor this one, let it tide her over until there were more children-

But before her claw touched the shell, it was scooped away.

Danu shrieked in rage and thrust herself up into the air, gathering up the new power within her. Vaxildan cowered at the edge of the cave. The intruder Mirror backed away from her, the egg disappearing into his satchel.

"Get away from it! Egg thief!"

"It's mine," Danu hissed. The Mirror shook his head and kept backing away. It was Vaxildan who responded, carefully stepping away from the wall to cover the Mirror's retreat.

"That makes you worse."

Rage bubbled up in Danu. She let it crackle along her wings, imagined it coming from her eyes to dance along her fins like she'd seen in the Mirror's lenses. That child was hers, its power forfeit - and she. would. have. it.

But Vaxildan leapt at her, his claws out.

Everything went static blue. Danu smelled ozone, felt only rage, heard a shriek and a small, soft child's cry - but too far, too far, out of her reach! Another one- escaped!

Her ears rang, and a blast echoed before everything went black.

Danu felt stiff.

She pushed herself up, her bones popping, muscles protesting, and shook her head. That little nexus of fresh power still coiled within her belly, though it was less than she'd wanted - less than she'd deserved.

Dust clouded the air. White glinted through the dust. Danu hopped and fluttered until she landed on the flank of the Wildclaw who had fathered this batch of children - his veil torn asunder, the golden band around his throat now dented and half-melted. He was alive, she thought, from the slight twitches of his chest, but barely.

And she felt power from him. Not as strong as from a hatchling, but still, power...

One had gotten away. But this one hadn't. The Spiral had said hatchlings had to be consumed, but surely, she wasn't only trying to mother hatchlings. She wanted power over all dragonkind - so, all dragonkind were fair game, right?

Vaxildan drew his last, shuddering breath, as Danu consumed his power and life for her own.

1fTJ5lP.png51703020.pngXNTweqj.png1fTJ5lP.png

<--- Previous
TTbPXX8.png
[right][size=2]@Ikilou @LadyIce @DragonPrincess27 @GloryEternal @Epioth @AdEternum @MonoDusk @DigDog @CrosEnToi @Fornara[/size][/right] Everything felt easier, suddenly. The lethargy was gone, the single-minded focus on the nest had vanished - replaced by a slow, simmering anger and desire. If she had been more powerful, this wouldn't have happened. She would have had a hatchling as well as the old Arcane wildclaw to consume. It would not happen again. So, Danu prepared. In the days of the power buzzing in her chest, the children she'd eaten being slowly absorbed into her own power, Danu restocked her potions and tonics. She studied spells, and almost managed to cast some. She lived like a Spiral for those few days - always flitting, always fluttering, unless she was asleep and several different brews were bubbling in the background. Slowly the energy vanished. The lethargy crept in again as the power was absorbed. What, really, was the point of this? In time, all dragons would heed her - so she didn't need potions, or spells, or tonics. She could just click her claws, and someone would do all this for her. But she needed another mate for that. Danu shook herself, tidied up the nest, and drew her satchel over her head to venture out to the crossroads. The crossroads was as it always had been - busy, with ever-rotating stalls and dragons shouting and hassling each other. Danu flitted above it all, searching for a likely mate. Some drake who looked lost, who looked timid, who looked like he didn't have any backup... There. Danu swooped down and perched on the ritual seller's stall, examining the Guardian who was selling components. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=51199307] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/511994/51199307_350.png[/img] [/url] There was nobody else at his stall. Danu began picking through flea's wings and foo's eye stones, tucking in her fans to mimic the Guardian's frills. "You're not from around here, are you?" "No," the Guardian admitted cheerfully enough. Or, at least, what Danu [i]thought[/i] was cheerfully. Tones were hard to read. "What gave it away?" "Lightning isn't the best place to open a ritual stall." A flea's wing stuck to Danu's claw. She sat up to get it off. "Not many dragons here do rituals." "I thought Lightning was a place of curiosity." Danu peeked up at him in a way she hoped was coy. "I'm one of the only dragons here who's curious about the arcane," she said. "I'm actually doing an experiment right now - but I need a lab partner and some morganite. Can you provide?" "Morganite?" The Guardian ducked beneath his stall and pulled out a tin of substandard rock. Danu curled her fans in disgust, picking out the three stones which looked the best. "How's the ritual coming?" "Not well," lied Danu, feeling the thrill of Vaxildan's power coil in her chest. "I could use someone who's an expert." The Guardian's chest puffed out. Danu tucked the three bits of morganite into her satchel as he said, "I'd be happy to help. The name's Ezhil." "Is it," said Danu, and led him back to her cave. ----- [center][img]http://flightrising.com/images/nests/5/3healthy_0dead.png[/img][/center] The sizzling of the eggs woke him, or perhaps the soft hiss of the incense Danu had set ablaze atop the nest. Either way, Ezhil's pink eyes flickered open, and Danu watched sleepily from her amber-spun den full of soft things in the corner. "That's your ritual?" he asked after he'd gotten his bearings, jerking his chin toward the eggs. [i]His[/i] eggs. Danu fluffed her fans. "The part I needed help with," she said. "Perhaps you should stay and see the rest, since you've been such a help." Ezhil hesitated, looking from Danu to the eggs. She yawned pointedly and curled up again, putting her tail over her nose. It was dark and cloudy outside - a thunderstorm would be rolling in soon, and she knew she could stop Ezhil if he tried to leave. The power jumped and sparked in her claws as she thought about it. But, almost to her disappointment, he lay back down and watched the eggs. That was alright. She'd have plenty more opportunities to feed later. And with that thought, Danu let the lethargy overcome her. [size=2][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2481647/4#post_38965954]<--- Previous[/url]

Everything felt easier, suddenly.

The lethargy was gone, the single-minded focus on the nest had vanished - replaced by a slow, simmering anger and desire. If she had been more powerful, this wouldn't have happened. She would have had a hatchling as well as the old Arcane wildclaw to consume.

It would not happen again.

So, Danu prepared. In the days of the power buzzing in her chest, the children she'd eaten being slowly absorbed into her own power, Danu restocked her potions and tonics. She studied spells, and almost managed to cast some. She lived like a Spiral for those few days - always flitting, always fluttering, unless she was asleep and several different brews were bubbling in the background.

Slowly the energy vanished.

The lethargy crept in again as the power was absorbed. What, really, was the point of this? In time, all dragons would heed her - so she didn't need potions, or spells, or tonics. She could just click her claws, and someone would do all this for her.

But she needed another mate for that.

Danu shook herself, tidied up the nest, and drew her satchel over her head to venture out to the crossroads.

The crossroads was as it always had been - busy, with ever-rotating stalls and dragons shouting and hassling each other. Danu flitted above it all, searching for a likely mate. Some drake who looked lost, who looked timid, who looked like he didn't have any backup...

There. Danu swooped down and perched on the ritual seller's stall, examining the Guardian who was selling components.

51199307_350.png

There was nobody else at his stall. Danu began picking through flea's wings and foo's eye stones, tucking in her fans to mimic the Guardian's frills.

"You're not from around here, are you?"

"No," the Guardian admitted cheerfully enough. Or, at least, what Danu thought was cheerfully. Tones were hard to read. "What gave it away?"

"Lightning isn't the best place to open a ritual stall." A flea's wing stuck to Danu's claw. She sat up to get it off. "Not many dragons here do rituals."

"I thought Lightning was a place of curiosity."

Danu peeked up at him in a way she hoped was coy. "I'm one of the only dragons here who's curious about the arcane," she said. "I'm actually doing an experiment right now - but I need a lab partner and some morganite. Can you provide?"

"Morganite?" The Guardian ducked beneath his stall and pulled out a tin of substandard rock. Danu curled her fans in disgust, picking out the three stones which looked the best. "How's the ritual coming?"

"Not well," lied Danu, feeling the thrill of Vaxildan's power coil in her chest. "I could use someone who's an expert."

The Guardian's chest puffed out. Danu tucked the three bits of morganite into her satchel as he said, "I'd be happy to help. The name's Ezhil."

"Is it," said Danu, and led him back to her cave.

3healthy_0dead.png

The sizzling of the eggs woke him, or perhaps the soft hiss of the incense Danu had set ablaze atop the nest. Either way, Ezhil's pink eyes flickered open, and Danu watched sleepily from her amber-spun den full of soft things in the corner.

"That's your ritual?" he asked after he'd gotten his bearings, jerking his chin toward the eggs. His eggs. Danu fluffed her fans.

"The part I needed help with," she said. "Perhaps you should stay and see the rest, since you've been such a help."

Ezhil hesitated, looking from Danu to the eggs. She yawned pointedly and curled up again, putting her tail over her nose. It was dark and cloudy outside - a thunderstorm would be rolling in soon, and she knew she could stop Ezhil if he tried to leave. The power jumped and sparked in her claws as she thought about it.

But, almost to her disappointment, he lay back down and watched the eggs.

That was alright. She'd have plenty more opportunities to feed later.

And with that thought, Danu let the lethargy overcome her.

<--- Previous
TTbPXX8.png
@blazingsnark may i be added to the pinglist...this looks amazing ovo
@blazingsnark may i be added to the pinglist...this looks amazing ovo

Founder of F.R.O.G.G

If it’s in my active purge tab, take them. I want them gone.
@blazingsnark

Dark lore. Love it. Reminds me of my own murderous boy :D

Add me to the pinglist.
@blazingsnark

Dark lore. Love it. Reminds me of my own murderous boy :D

Add me to the pinglist.
You can never have enough apparel. I will not stop until my hoard is dripping with it.
@blazingsnark

Could I be added to the pinglist? This kind of amazing writing gives me a lot of inspiration!
@blazingsnark

Could I be added to the pinglist? This kind of amazing writing gives me a lot of inspiration!
1 2 3 4