Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | The Chocolate Conundrum
1 2
From a conversation with a friend.

Where is chocolate in Sornieth?

We have evidence that the concept of chocolate exists. We have the Chocolate colour on dragons. We have Chocolate Ferrets. We have Chocolate Noggles. And when you go through the item database, you can see a variety of accents that include Chocolate, often in the form of a confection.

However, when you look in the Food tab of the Item Database, what you do not see...
Is chocolate.

That's right. There is evidence of the idea of chocolate confection. But no chocolate confection itself.

So where does the idea come from? Did it come from the archaeological investigations of the species that populated the planet in the Second Age? Is it from the fantasies of dragons who dream of a confection that can be both bitter and sweet, and perhaps a little energizing? Is Treasure actually chocolate coins? If they are chocolate coins, is chocolate toxic to dragons?

What do you think? Help unravel the mystery that is this Chocolate Conundrum.
From a conversation with a friend.

Where is chocolate in Sornieth?

We have evidence that the concept of chocolate exists. We have the Chocolate colour on dragons. We have Chocolate Ferrets. We have Chocolate Noggles. And when you go through the item database, you can see a variety of accents that include Chocolate, often in the form of a confection.

However, when you look in the Food tab of the Item Database, what you do not see...
Is chocolate.

That's right. There is evidence of the idea of chocolate confection. But no chocolate confection itself.

So where does the idea come from? Did it come from the archaeological investigations of the species that populated the planet in the Second Age? Is it from the fantasies of dragons who dream of a confection that can be both bitter and sweet, and perhaps a little energizing? Is Treasure actually chocolate coins? If they are chocolate coins, is chocolate toxic to dragons?

What do you think? Help unravel the mystery that is this Chocolate Conundrum.
[item=blacksaddle wrasse] and the color both mention wine, and [item=yellowtail caterpillar] mentions rice, neither of which are actual food items. it does exist most likely, devs just haven't made a coli enemy of matching aesthetic to give them as item drops to i know rice would be a plant item, but would wine and chocolate, being plant-derived, also be? like how [item=vegetable oil] is?
Blacksaddle Wrasse and the color both mention wine, and Yellowtail Caterpillar mentions rice, neither of which are actual food items. it does exist most likely, devs just haven't made a coli enemy of matching aesthetic to give them as item drops to
i know rice would be a plant item, but would wine and chocolate, being plant-derived, also be? like how Vegetable Oil is?
eNC9ZRF.jpeg
there's also the chocolate cupcakes on the new pastry tray item, I have a feeling that it might not be an actual food item because categorizing it as just one type of food would mean that dragons that can't eat that food type wouldn't be able to have any, and that would just be cruel!

they probably discovered it the way humans did a la "well I ate this and I didn't die, let's see what we can do with it"
there's also the chocolate cupcakes on the new pastry tray item, I have a feeling that it might not be an actual food item because categorizing it as just one type of food would mean that dragons that can't eat that food type wouldn't be able to have any, and that would just be cruel!

they probably discovered it the way humans did a la "well I ate this and I didn't die, let's see what we can do with it"
[quote name="ShiningLatios" date="2024-02-18 11:16:17" ] I have a feeling that it might not be an actual food item because categorizing it as just one type of food would mean that dragons that can't eat that food type wouldn't be able to have any, and that would just be cruel! [/quote] Nah. We have meat cotton candy. No reason why we can't have chocolate bacon, chocolate covered ants, or chocolate dipped fish sticks. Canonically, all breeds can eat any food. The limitation is purely for game mechanics / balance.
ShiningLatios wrote on 2024-02-18 11:16:17:
I have a feeling that it might not be an actual food item because categorizing it as just one type of food would mean that dragons that can't eat that food type wouldn't be able to have any, and that would just be cruel!

Nah. We have meat cotton candy. No reason why we can't have chocolate bacon, chocolate covered ants, or chocolate dipped fish sticks.

Canonically, all breeds can eat any food. The limitation is purely for game mechanics / balance.
shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.
I think that chocolate is too processed to get a food item! I could see us getting cocoa beans though.

There are exceptions to this, but most of the food items we get are ingredients as they're found in nature, not cooked or prepared dishes. I've always interpreted the "converting food points" action as taking the raw grains and meats and whatnot and actually cooking and preparing them into dishes.
I think that chocolate is too processed to get a food item! I could see us getting cocoa beans though.

There are exceptions to this, but most of the food items we get are ingredients as they're found in nature, not cooked or prepared dishes. I've always interpreted the "converting food points" action as taking the raw grains and meats and whatnot and actually cooking and preparing them into dishes.
giphy.gif
BanescaleSig.png
giphy.gif
[quote name="azhdrake" date="2024-02-18 11:23:51" ] I think that chocolate is too processed to get a food item! I could see us getting cocoa beans though. [/quote] But there are plenty of prepared, processed foods! [item=berry and nut trail bar] [item=dried jerky] [item=soylent red] [item=blue jelly] [item=turkey dinner] [item=1st Anniversary Stolen Cake] [item=fishy cotton candy] [item=vegetable oil] (and all of the variants of the above) Chocolate is a pretty simple process, too. Fermenting, drying, roasting and grinding. That is far less processed than Vegetable Oil, which is a food item!
azhdrake wrote on 2024-02-18 11:23:51:

But there are plenty of prepared, processed foods!

Berry and Nut Trail Bar
Dried Jerky
Soylent Red
Blue Jelly
Turkey Dinner
1st Anniversary Stolen Cake
Fishy Cotton Candy
Vegetable Oil
(and all of the variants of the above)

Chocolate is a pretty simple process, too. Fermenting, drying, roasting and grinding. That is far less processed than Vegetable Oil, which is a food item!

shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.
I think baldwin should be able to make white chocolate for valentines, specifically white choco bc its just like the byproducts of the chocolate making process. pulling it out of a cauldron feels natural anyhow I think chocolate definitely exists in universe, and the new set seems to confirm that patissiers exist in sornieth its just like...I guess most of the food we as players get is like, raw ingredients. the "processing" part is basically entirely up to headcanon/imagination, but I imagine its like, if I convert 10 bundles of haunchmeat and horns of plenty into Food, my dragons arent necessarily eating raw meat and veggies--maybe they cooked em up together and are having a nice sauteed onions, meat n potatoes din-din. so like, I dont think cacao is an item yet but if it was I'd assume the chocolate making process was happening offscreen edit: rawf sorry for unintentionally parroting like exactly what azhdrake said above me orz edit 2: I forgot about the butter.... [item=flying butter]
I think baldwin should be able to make white chocolate for valentines, specifically white choco bc its just like the byproducts of the chocolate making process. pulling it out of a cauldron feels natural

anyhow I think chocolate definitely exists in universe, and the new set seems to confirm that patissiers exist in sornieth its just like...I guess most of the food we as players get is like, raw ingredients. the "processing" part is basically entirely up to headcanon/imagination, but I imagine its like, if I convert 10 bundles of haunchmeat and horns of plenty into Food, my dragons arent necessarily eating raw meat and veggies--maybe they cooked em up together and are having a nice sauteed onions, meat n potatoes din-din. so like, I dont think cacao is an item yet but if it was I'd assume the chocolate making process was happening offscreen

edit: rawf sorry for unintentionally parroting like exactly what azhdrake said above me orz

edit 2: I forgot about the butter....
Flying Butter
KHUgIpL.gif sMnKARY.png fK5z2eq.gif
We don’t have the cacao plant/fruit where cacao beans come from, but you're right that they implicitly exist — after all, Coffee Pot implies the same for coffee beans!
We don’t have the cacao plant/fruit where cacao beans come from, but you're right that they implicitly exist — after all, Coffee Pot implies the same for coffee beans!
Anim-spiral.gifx lore clan
spiral fan
rp friendly
for sale
free tiny buttons
xcorgi with feather pen
On the other claw, if chocolate doesn't exist/the confection has been forgotten, the word could have survived as a color, forgetting the legacy it comes from. Sort of the same way we have Azure and Lapis both as colors, though they both stem from the mineral azurite.
On the other claw, if chocolate doesn't exist/the confection has been forgotten, the word could have survived as a color, forgetting the legacy it comes from. Sort of the same way we have Azure and Lapis both as colors, though they both stem from the mineral azurite.
...Chocolate Capsule Dragons?
...Chocolate Capsule Dragons?
Come visit my lore lair! It's a fun time here.

Something strange is happening on Sornieth. All across the world, dragons have begun to be born with multiple elements. How? Why? As dragons all across Sornieth takes notice, the wheel of fate begins to turn, as one fae's search for her mysterious origins leads her down a path that could change Sornieth forever.
1 2