Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Subscription
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Here's a suggestion, since the website is mostly funded by ads, what if there was a subscription to get no ads on the website? you can do it in tiers of course, and the lowest one, let's say being a dollar a month allows the user to experience the website with no ads.

This is a suggestion to help fund this lovely game and get rid of pesky ads in one go, of course, it is up to owners if they want to do something like this.

Then for the other subscriptions you add other little rewards, like I don't know, discounted items in the market shop, or discounts on buying stuff, I really don't know what other things you'd want to do.

This is just a suggestion.
Here's a suggestion, since the website is mostly funded by ads, what if there was a subscription to get no ads on the website? you can do it in tiers of course, and the lowest one, let's say being a dollar a month allows the user to experience the website with no ads.

This is a suggestion to help fund this lovely game and get rid of pesky ads in one go, of course, it is up to owners if they want to do something like this.

Then for the other subscriptions you add other little rewards, like I don't know, discounted items in the market shop, or discounts on buying stuff, I really don't know what other things you'd want to do.

This is just a suggestion.
I would be okay with a no-ad subscription with ONLY gems as a part of the package since that's already a paid thing. No other bonuses, please.
I would be okay with a no-ad subscription with ONLY gems as a part of the package since that's already a paid thing. No other bonuses, please.
91423843p.png Avatar
Dragon
7691.png Selling G1s! 196.png Trading Notes for Notes!
Closed
This sort of suggestion pops up every now and then and most of the time people respond with a very strong No Support. Personally, I'm a bit mixed on it.

On one hand, I kind of am a sucker for subscriptions. Giving a handful of dollars every month or year to get some benefits? Sure, why not. However, I only really find them worth it if they do more than remove adds or give a little extra premium currency daily. Gems are already easy to get on here, between the daily bonus and familiar bonding chests. I actually would want to have either exclusive items or an exclusive shop, because I think they're fun! But a looooot of people are adamantly against it, so I have no hopes for ever getting that.

And all of that aside, I do also feel a small... anxiety? At the notion of FR opening the door to a subscription. In recent years, subscription services have steadily been taking over almost all facets of life. Or at least it feels that way. There's a strong sense of fatigue towards subscriptions, and even if FR implements a very simple and unobtrusive something I think a lot of people would be put off by it and leave.

In the end, I think I would probably prefer a one-time "premium upgrade" that gets rid of ads, even if only for a couple of months. Maybe the gem purchase packages could apply a set amount of times of no ads or something? IDK.
This sort of suggestion pops up every now and then and most of the time people respond with a very strong No Support. Personally, I'm a bit mixed on it.

On one hand, I kind of am a sucker for subscriptions. Giving a handful of dollars every month or year to get some benefits? Sure, why not. However, I only really find them worth it if they do more than remove adds or give a little extra premium currency daily. Gems are already easy to get on here, between the daily bonus and familiar bonding chests. I actually would want to have either exclusive items or an exclusive shop, because I think they're fun! But a looooot of people are adamantly against it, so I have no hopes for ever getting that.

And all of that aside, I do also feel a small... anxiety? At the notion of FR opening the door to a subscription. In recent years, subscription services have steadily been taking over almost all facets of life. Or at least it feels that way. There's a strong sense of fatigue towards subscriptions, and even if FR implements a very simple and unobtrusive something I think a lot of people would be put off by it and leave.

In the end, I think I would probably prefer a one-time "premium upgrade" that gets rid of ads, even if only for a couple of months. Maybe the gem purchase packages could apply a set amount of times of no ads or something? IDK.
Pressed Morning Glory Venex
they/them
_^___^
(=0ω0=)
23378621.png Pressed Moonflower
I would just like to see ad removal be wrapped up into the purchase of gems.
I would just like to see ad removal be wrapped up into the purchase of gems.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
Lorwolf has a very cheap subscription that gives you the equivalent of 30g a day and removes ads. It's fantastic, I love it.

I really don't want to see anything else tbh beyond a vista, I guess
- gems have never felt worth the cost to me, and I'd have to keep remembering to buy
- locking anything more dragon-related than a vista or people badge behind a rlc purchase becomes pay to win. KS stuff is controversial enough already.
Lorwolf has a very cheap subscription that gives you the equivalent of 30g a day and removes ads. It's fantastic, I love it.

I really don't want to see anything else tbh beyond a vista, I guess
- gems have never felt worth the cost to me, and I'd have to keep remembering to buy
- locking anything more dragon-related than a vista or people badge behind a rlc purchase becomes pay to win. KS stuff is controversial enough already.
jYPBXj5.png4RsuN8b.pngMXNV32c.pngS7EiNKy.png
Support!

I made a similar suggestion awhile back that got decent traction and support. Particularly because ad-blockers don't work well on mobile and ads can be particularly damaging there.

Consensus seemed to be that an ad-free subscription would be fine so long as it had no other perks attached (other than perhaps some amount of complimentary gems since you can buy those as well).

Some alternate ideas were being able to purchase subs with Gems (aka buy gems and then purchase an Ad-Free "perk" from the Gem MP or the like) so that players who can't outright afford real money purchases could get a Sub. There was also the idea to be able to "gift" subs to other players.
Support!

I made a similar suggestion awhile back that got decent traction and support. Particularly because ad-blockers don't work well on mobile and ads can be particularly damaging there.

Consensus seemed to be that an ad-free subscription would be fine so long as it had no other perks attached (other than perhaps some amount of complimentary gems since you can buy those as well).

Some alternate ideas were being able to purchase subs with Gems (aka buy gems and then purchase an Ad-Free "perk" from the Gem MP or the like) so that players who can't outright afford real money purchases could get a Sub. There was also the idea to be able to "gift" subs to other players.
PeoMDYF.pngUxsWBSZ.png
absolutely no support in any capacity - any company introducing a subscription service in 2023 immediately loses all credibility and trust
absolutely no support in any capacity - any company introducing a subscription service in 2023 immediately loses all credibility and trust
41328.png -
cillian || adult || he/they
Candy Coated Dragons
adopts: obelisk | aether
Ublock origin already exists to block those ads and paying gems on that ad will become pointless. Unless they did a pop up to stop those adblockers but this will require too much work.

A very Giant No support as most players do not like that and will lower the player count. Worse case scenario, it will split the players and will drive more toxic players for that alone.

Subscription basis on a dragon petsite game is a big major red flag , it's not an mmo game like ffxiv and most blizzard games.

Animal jam PC has similar but it's more keened to memberships just for the limited apparel, animals, activities and houses but that's a different story. (I played it very long ago when I was in hs but I stopped because it's super plain boring to me)
Ublock origin already exists to block those ads and paying gems on that ad will become pointless. Unless they did a pop up to stop those adblockers but this will require too much work.

A very Giant No support as most players do not like that and will lower the player count. Worse case scenario, it will split the players and will drive more toxic players for that alone.

Subscription basis on a dragon petsite game is a big major red flag , it's not an mmo game like ffxiv and most blizzard games.

Animal jam PC has similar but it's more keened to memberships just for the limited apparel, animals, activities and houses but that's a different story. (I played it very long ago when I was in hs but I stopped because it's super plain boring to me)
EpxpFk0.pngDEG9eQ2.png
This comes up frequently enough and I'm one of the people that always says yes, sure, do it. As long as it's just add removal and a nominal amount of gems that'd be great.

1. Adblockers actively block a source of site revenue. There's a reason YouTube is trying so hard to make people stop using them. Idc what you do with a big corporate website; the ads there are terrible. But occasional hiccups (that they ask for reporting on so they can block stuff) aside, FR is small and they will feel that AdRev loss more.

2. Gems are already paid anyway, so as long as the amount was smaller than what you get from outright buying the pack and the real draw is "no ads," this would not be damaging to any economy.

3. Even if you want to run an adblocker, you can't sync that between mobile and desktop. Ad blockers are not accessible on mobile devices with the variety of browsers. (Anything running off chromium is a nightmare to set it up on to people without working knowledge.) This way, people who do mobile a lot can safely and easily have an ad-free experience.

Like... this all looks like wins to me. One after another. The literal only downside is that there's a money threshold but some people do genuinely want to support the site and deal with ads for that reason but would be happy to switch to a low-cost monthly sub to remove them. The site benefits. They benefit. Idk I get mistrusting companies but FR is not Google.
This comes up frequently enough and I'm one of the people that always says yes, sure, do it. As long as it's just add removal and a nominal amount of gems that'd be great.

1. Adblockers actively block a source of site revenue. There's a reason YouTube is trying so hard to make people stop using them. Idc what you do with a big corporate website; the ads there are terrible. But occasional hiccups (that they ask for reporting on so they can block stuff) aside, FR is small and they will feel that AdRev loss more.

2. Gems are already paid anyway, so as long as the amount was smaller than what you get from outright buying the pack and the real draw is "no ads," this would not be damaging to any economy.

3. Even if you want to run an adblocker, you can't sync that between mobile and desktop. Ad blockers are not accessible on mobile devices with the variety of browsers. (Anything running off chromium is a nightmare to set it up on to people without working knowledge.) This way, people who do mobile a lot can safely and easily have an ad-free experience.

Like... this all looks like wins to me. One after another. The literal only downside is that there's a money threshold but some people do genuinely want to support the site and deal with ads for that reason but would be happy to switch to a low-cost monthly sub to remove them. The site benefits. They benefit. Idk I get mistrusting companies but FR is not Google.
Want to chime that wrt adblocking on mobile devices, there are a good number of browsers that have adblocking already set up the moment you download them. Off the top of my head I think Firefox and the DuckDuckGo browser app block ads by default. It doesn't change the fact some people might not be able to access those specific apps, but setting up mobile adblock is a lot simpler than most think it is.
Want to chime that wrt adblocking on mobile devices, there are a good number of browsers that have adblocking already set up the moment you download them. Off the top of my head I think Firefox and the DuckDuckGo browser app block ads by default. It doesn't change the fact some people might not be able to access those specific apps, but setting up mobile adblock is a lot simpler than most think it is.
Pressed Morning Glory Venex
they/them
_^___^
(=0ω0=)
23378621.png Pressed Moonflower
1 2 3 4 5 6 7