Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Two fixes for Anticipate
[item=anticipate] <- we're talking about this guy Background info, I've been using Anticipate since my first year on the site, and several of my dragons use it in the Coli. I am aware it's less popular than Scratch or Meditate and why. That said, it's part of the site, and I wish it was as functional as when I first joined. [b]My Two Polite Requests[/b] 1. roll the Anticipator back to receiving breath if they dodge an enemy attack Back before the Coli overhaul this worked, and I always wanted to build a high-Agility anticipator to take advantage of it (and we have that achievement to use it on!) However, if your dragon dodges while anticipating they no longer generate any breath, which feels like a punishment for what's supposed to be a minor bit of good luck. Meanwhile, Scratch doesn't fail to generate energy if the [i]enemy[/i] dodges, and Meditate can't ever fail. Alternatively, just make it so you can't dodge while anticipating? but I'd prefer the former personally. ^_^; 2. allow the Anticipator to use Anticipate when Enamored Mages can meditate while Enamored, and dragons with Scratch can [i]attack[/i], but Anticipators can't do anything but Defend, despite the wording of the status condition? [emoji=tundra sad size=2]
Anticipate <- we're talking about this guy

Background info, I've been using Anticipate since my first year on the site, and several of my dragons use it in the Coli. I am aware it's less popular than Scratch or Meditate and why.

That said, it's part of the site, and I wish it was as functional as when I first joined.

My Two Polite Requests
1. roll the Anticipator back to receiving breath if they dodge an enemy attack

Back before the Coli overhaul this worked, and I always wanted to build a high-Agility anticipator to take advantage of it (and we have that achievement to use it on!) However, if your dragon dodges while anticipating they no longer generate any breath, which feels like a punishment for what's supposed to be a minor bit of good luck. Meanwhile, Scratch doesn't fail to generate energy if the enemy dodges, and Meditate can't ever fail.

Alternatively, just make it so you can't dodge while anticipating? but I'd prefer the former personally. ^_^;

2. allow the Anticipator to use Anticipate when Enamored

Mages can meditate while Enamored, and dragons with Scratch can attack, but Anticipators can't do anything but Defend, despite the wording of the status condition?

Still undercaffeinated.
All of this makes sense to me. I hope they update the stone to be a bit more useful than it is now.
All of this makes sense to me. I hope they update the stone to be a bit more useful than it is now.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
Either that, or make Anticipate a taunt move, so enemies HAVE to hit you if you use it. I don't think there's a viable stone combination for a proper tank build right now.

They should get someone who actually cares about turn based combat design and fix the whole thing, though. When the main strategy seems to be "give it Eliminate", something is probably off.
Either that, or make Anticipate a taunt move, so enemies HAVE to hit you if you use it. I don't think there's a viable stone combination for a proper tank build right now.

They should get someone who actually cares about turn based combat design and fix the whole thing, though. When the main strategy seems to be "give it Eliminate", something is probably off.
AUGH yes that second one is SUCH a pain and seems like a big oversight! The few times I've messed around with tank builds that has driven me bananas. Full support, I want more builds to be viable.
AUGH yes that second one is SUCH a pain and seems like a big oversight! The few times I've messed around with tank builds that has driven me bananas. Full support, I want more builds to be viable.
oh big support. at the very least it should be made consistent with meditate and scratch the way you've described -- otherwise it's an objectively worse method of breath gen, rather than a play style difference.
oh big support. at the very least it should be made consistent with meditate and scratch the way you've described -- otherwise it's an objectively worse method of breath gen, rather than a play style difference.
[quote name="GhostCollective" date="2023-08-14 22:38:03" ] Either that, or make Anticipate a taunt move, so enemies HAVE to hit you if you use it. I don't think there's a viable stone combination for a proper tank build right now. [/quote] Protect/Anticipate! I use it on my Ghostlight Anticitank to far more consistent results than I had before I started using Protect. Protect isn't a 100% rate, but buffing it is a separate suggestion to Anticipate. I strongly agree with the OP on point 2. It should behave the same as other energy stones under various status conditions. I'm neutral on point 1, but I don't think it would make the stone too overpowered as long as the enemies are actually focusing on the target. (That said, some sort of Protect overhaul + Anticipate always gathers breath when targeted [i]would[/i] probably make it too overpowered since breath could theoretically be gathered as fast or faster than Meditate with no debuff, so if the devs end up doing some rehauling of stones it'd depend how they wanted to distribute the changes.)
GhostCollective wrote on 2023-08-14 22:38:03:

Protect/Anticipate! I use it on my Ghostlight Anticitank to far more consistent results than I had before I started using Protect. Protect isn't a 100% rate, but buffing it is a separate suggestion to Anticipate.

I strongly agree with the OP on point 2. It should behave the same as other energy stones under various status conditions. I'm neutral on point 1, but I don't think it would make the stone too overpowered as long as the enemies are actually focusing on the target. (That said, some sort of Protect overhaul + Anticipate always gathers breath when targeted would probably make it too overpowered since breath could theoretically be gathered as fast or faster than Meditate with no debuff, so if the devs end up doing some rehauling of stones it'd depend how they wanted to distribute the changes.)
I cant find protect în The database, only ward, reflect and bolster, and I don't know what deflecting an attack is really going to do if the enemy targets a different dragon than the one I put it on. Which is why I see a need for a taunt mechanic.
I cant find protect în The database, only ward, reflect and bolster, and I don't know what deflecting an attack is really going to do if the enemy targets a different dragon than the one I put it on. Which is why I see a need for a taunt mechanic.
Yeah, agreed. Anticipate definitely needs a rework! And honestly, we need more support for tanky builds in general!

Like defense boosts, evasion boosts.. etc...
Yeah, agreed. Anticipate definitely needs a rework! And honestly, we need more support for tanky builds in general!

Like defense boosts, evasion boosts.. etc...
bgGXGPE.png
LGvol4P.png
G8AyR6r.png
AaYNmEX.png
SYiQlxK.png
ZcE4a9h.png

wip sig pls bear with i'm new to this stuff
[quote name="@GhostCollective" date="2023-08-15 09:44:29" ] I cant find protect în The database, only ward, reflect and bolster, and I don't know what deflecting an attack is really going to do if the enemy targets a different dragon than the one I put it on. Which is why I see a need for a taunt mechanic. [/quote] i believe mothscale is referring to this: [item=guard] while i'm sure it's effective, a built in taunt mechanic would be much more convenient and efficient for the purposes of making anticipate more usable.
@GhostCollective wrote on 2023-08-15 09:44:29:

i believe mothscale is referring to this:
Guard

while i'm sure it's effective, a built in taunt mechanic would be much more convenient and efficient for the purposes of making anticipate more usable.
__________.____
plague_banner.png

MUYNhfy.png_iDFl61R.png
JvUa9ma.png_WKtl2lb.png
plagueshieldr.png