Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Is Marvel Offensive Towards Women?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
@MythGriffin24

It was a poll on the superheroes you would want to get together with, and after the polls were closed a lot of what he said in response was very sexist and homophobic and just generally misogynistic. Ick.

Yep! Diversity in Marvel is taking nice steps foreword(Black Panther movie, Agent Carter, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D has a nice diverse cast). There’s some not so great stuff thrown about in the movies, but a majority of what they say isn’t bad at all. Again, you brought up some very points and Marvel would do good to try to avoid all that from now on.
@MythGriffin24

It was a poll on the superheroes you would want to get together with, and after the polls were closed a lot of what he said in response was very sexist and homophobic and just generally misogynistic. Ick.

Yep! Diversity in Marvel is taking nice steps foreword(Black Panther movie, Agent Carter, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D has a nice diverse cast). There’s some not so great stuff thrown about in the movies, but a majority of what they say isn’t bad at all. Again, you brought up some very points and Marvel would do good to try to avoid all that from now on.
-woody
-she/her
-very bisexual
-type 1 diabetic
-dragon sales
-coli grinding
0a336a4f9a312bb09aa01acd45192ada8875c8ea.png shadow.gif
[quote name="cheeseboytyrell" date="2015-01-19 17:29:43"]joss whedon's known to do this (not that it's ok, but i was expecting it...) but what really bothered me was drax's comment. totally out of character and made NO SENSE for him to say that. [/quote] @cheeseboytyrell Nnnah pretty sure it was in-character. He heard one of the inmates at the prison call Gamora that and just used it too. I highly doubt he knows what it is. This is the guy who can't understand basic metaphors, or any word that alludes to anything else. I think it was just him picking up new words (y'know like "finger on neck means death"?)
cheeseboytyrell wrote on 2015-01-19 17:29:43:
joss whedon's known to do this (not that it's ok, but i was expecting it...) but what really bothered me was drax's comment. totally out of character and made NO SENSE for him to say that.

@cheeseboytyrell
Nnnah pretty sure it was in-character. He heard one of the inmates at the prison call Gamora that and just used it too. I highly doubt he knows what it is. This is the guy who can't understand basic metaphors, or any word that alludes to anything else. I think it was just him picking up new words (y'know like "finger on neck means death"?)
@VAE: First off, I don't condone murder or any other shameful acts in fiction. I would say it's up to the author to portray it in a way appropriate to the story. Terrible things happen in real life, so the author has a right to write about awful things. The way it's portrayed is the thing that makes or breaks a story. If a writer writes about a terrible murder but doesn't make it sound appealing, then it's fine because the author isn't condoning the act, and it's a part of the story just as murder can be a part of real life. However, if the author makes the murder seem appealing or glamorous, then I'd frown upon it because it has unfortunate implications, since they'd be making a crime look glorified. So it all depends on how it's written. If the troublesome content is written in a way that doesn't make it titillating or acceptable to the reader, then it's fine. It's when the author glamorizes negative behaviors that it can be a problem.

Oh-sorry I misunderstood your comment. I mistook what you were saying and didn't realize that you meant certain kinds of people were less common-one of your words were censored so I was confused. Sorry. ^^;

I'm not sure I follow your argument-are you saying that characters calling each other rude words depends on context?-but I guess there isn't always a consequence. Like I said, it's up to the author to portray the things in their writing in a responsible manner. The only time I'd take offense to name-calling in fiction is if it made it seem acceptable, casual, or unnecessary. Let's use cussing as an example. Sure, it isn't always attractive, depending on context, but if your characters swear a lot and there isn't a justified reason for it-let's say the characters swearing were raised in a poor area and they aren't smart enough to use more intelligent word choices-then why would you include it? Just because you can do something in fiction without consequence doesn't mean you should. Basically, I'm saying that yeah, fictional actions may not have real-life consequences, but just because you can doesn't mean you should if it's unnecessary for the story.

And I agree-making a character a certain gender/race/sexuality/etc. for political purposes isn't a good idea because the character usually isn't interesting as a result. What I meant was that I'm glad Marvel is trying to reach out a bit and provide more diverse characters to appeal to different members of the audience while still making them interesting. I'll use Black Widow and Nick Fury as examples of what I mean. They're both interesting, enjoyable characters, but you never feel that they were created just to add diversity to the story. That's what I meant by that-I honestly think creating diverse characters for political reasons isn't a good idea.

@Woodenclaw: Yuck. That stinks. :/ I guess I'm not going to be seeing the GotG sequel then. Not sure if I'd be interested in it anyway. But yeah, I'm glad Marvel is trying to slowly but surely change it up a bit and I hope that their efforts might encourage other superhero/fantasy filmmakers to do the same. And maybe they'll slowly clean up those little uncomfortable bits too. ^^
@VAE: First off, I don't condone murder or any other shameful acts in fiction. I would say it's up to the author to portray it in a way appropriate to the story. Terrible things happen in real life, so the author has a right to write about awful things. The way it's portrayed is the thing that makes or breaks a story. If a writer writes about a terrible murder but doesn't make it sound appealing, then it's fine because the author isn't condoning the act, and it's a part of the story just as murder can be a part of real life. However, if the author makes the murder seem appealing or glamorous, then I'd frown upon it because it has unfortunate implications, since they'd be making a crime look glorified. So it all depends on how it's written. If the troublesome content is written in a way that doesn't make it titillating or acceptable to the reader, then it's fine. It's when the author glamorizes negative behaviors that it can be a problem.

Oh-sorry I misunderstood your comment. I mistook what you were saying and didn't realize that you meant certain kinds of people were less common-one of your words were censored so I was confused. Sorry. ^^;

I'm not sure I follow your argument-are you saying that characters calling each other rude words depends on context?-but I guess there isn't always a consequence. Like I said, it's up to the author to portray the things in their writing in a responsible manner. The only time I'd take offense to name-calling in fiction is if it made it seem acceptable, casual, or unnecessary. Let's use cussing as an example. Sure, it isn't always attractive, depending on context, but if your characters swear a lot and there isn't a justified reason for it-let's say the characters swearing were raised in a poor area and they aren't smart enough to use more intelligent word choices-then why would you include it? Just because you can do something in fiction without consequence doesn't mean you should. Basically, I'm saying that yeah, fictional actions may not have real-life consequences, but just because you can doesn't mean you should if it's unnecessary for the story.

And I agree-making a character a certain gender/race/sexuality/etc. for political purposes isn't a good idea because the character usually isn't interesting as a result. What I meant was that I'm glad Marvel is trying to reach out a bit and provide more diverse characters to appeal to different members of the audience while still making them interesting. I'll use Black Widow and Nick Fury as examples of what I mean. They're both interesting, enjoyable characters, but you never feel that they were created just to add diversity to the story. That's what I meant by that-I honestly think creating diverse characters for political reasons isn't a good idea.

@Woodenclaw: Yuck. That stinks. :/ I guess I'm not going to be seeing the GotG sequel then. Not sure if I'd be interested in it anyway. But yeah, I'm glad Marvel is trying to slowly but surely change it up a bit and I hope that their efforts might encourage other superhero/fantasy filmmakers to do the same. And maybe they'll slowly clean up those little uncomfortable bits too. ^^
qvTNuJR.pnglogo16_zps302d6ac7.png Utter Phasma Trash
I'll point out that Fury is white in the comics, as was Kingpin in Daredevil.

Life isn't comfortable. Life isn't going to stop because you think something is uncomfortable or because you don't like something.
I'll point out that Fury is white in the comics, as was Kingpin in Daredevil.

Life isn't comfortable. Life isn't going to stop because you think something is uncomfortable or because you don't like something.
Tell me your desire
while you pull me from the fire
and we'll seal the deal with a kiss
[quote name="leviathans" date="2015-01-19 18:57:18"][quote name="cheeseboytyrell" date="2015-01-19 17:29:43"]joss whedon's known to do this (not that it's ok, but i was expecting it...) but what really bothered me was drax's comment. totally out of character and made NO SENSE for him to say that. [/quote] @cheeseboytyrell Nnnah pretty sure it was in-character. He heard one of the inmates at the prison call Gamora that and just used it too. I highly doubt he knows what it is. This is the guy who can't understand basic metaphors, or any word that alludes to anything else. I think it was just him picking up new words (y'know like "finger on neck means death"?)[/quote] thats exactly why i don't think it's in character for him to say it if he doesn't know what it means.
leviathans wrote on 2015-01-19 18:57:18:
joss whedon's known to do this (not that it's ok, but i was expecting it...) but what really bothered me was drax's comment. totally out of character and made NO SENSE for him to say that.

@cheeseboytyrell
Nnnah pretty sure it was in-character. He heard one of the inmates at the prison call Gamora that and just used it too. I highly doubt he knows what it is. This is the guy who can't understand basic metaphors, or any word that alludes to anything else. I think it was just him picking up new words (y'know like "finger on neck means death"?)

thats exactly why i don't think it's in character for him to say it if he doesn't know what it means.
[quote name="cheeseboytyrell" date="2015-01-19 19:05:56"][quote name="leviathans" date="2015-01-19 18:57:18"][quote name="cheeseboytyrell" date="2015-01-19 17:29:43"]joss whedon's known to do this (not that it's ok, but i was expecting it...) but what really bothered me was drax's comment. totally out of character and made NO SENSE for him to say that. [/quote] @cheeseboytyrell Nnnah pretty sure it was in-character. He heard one of the inmates at the prison call Gamora that and just used it too. I highly doubt he knows what it is. This is the guy who can't understand basic metaphors, or any word that alludes to anything else. I think it was just him picking up new words (y'know like "finger on neck means death"?)[/quote] thats exactly why i don't think it's in character for him to say it if he doesn't know what it means.[/quote] He's repeated things he doesn't fully understand before, just because he doesn't fully grasp the concept of it doesn't mean it's out of character for him to use it. Like the finger-on-death metaphor, which he clearly didn't understand 100% either but no one says that was out of character ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
cheeseboytyrell wrote on 2015-01-19 19:05:56:

@cheeseboytyrell

thats exactly why i don't think it's in character for him to say it if he doesn't know what it means.

He's repeated things he doesn't fully understand before, just because he doesn't fully grasp the concept of it doesn't mean it's out of character for him to use it. Like the finger-on-death metaphor, which he clearly didn't understand 100% either but no one says that was out of character

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[quote name="leviathans" date="2015-01-19 19:09:46"][quote name="cheeseboytyrell" date="2015-01-19 19:05:56"][quote name="leviathans" date="2015-01-19 18:57:18"][quote name="cheeseboytyrell" date="2015-01-19 17:29:43"]joss whedon's known to do this (not that it's ok, but i was expecting it...) but what really bothered me was drax's comment. totally out of character and made NO SENSE for him to say that. [/quote] @cheeseboytyrell Nnnah pretty sure it was in-character. He heard one of the inmates at the prison call Gamora that and just used it too. I highly doubt he knows what it is. This is the guy who can't understand basic metaphors, or any word that alludes to anything else. I think it was just him picking up new words (y'know like "finger on neck means death"?)[/quote] thats exactly why i don't think it's in character for him to say it if he doesn't know what it means.[/quote] He's repeated things he doesn't fully understand before, just because he doesn't fully grasp the concept of it doesn't mean it's out of character for him to use it. Like the finger-on-death metaphor, which he clearly didn't understand 100% either but no one says that was out of character ¯\_(ツ)_/¯[/quote] It's "out of character" because it's been deemed offensive.
leviathans wrote on 2015-01-19 19:09:46:
cheeseboytyrell wrote on 2015-01-19 19:05:56:

@cheeseboytyrell

He's repeated things he doesn't fully understand before, just because he doesn't fully grasp the concept of it doesn't mean it's out of character for him to use it. Like the finger-on-death metaphor, which he clearly didn't understand 100% either but no one says that was out of character

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's "out of character" because it's been deemed offensive.
Tell me your desire
while you pull me from the fire
and we'll seal the deal with a kiss
[quote name="MythGriffin24" date="2015-01-19 18:57:50"]@VAE: First off, I don't condone murder or any other shameful acts in fiction. I would say it's up to the author to portray it in a way appropriate to the story. Terrible things happen in real life, so the author has a right to write about awful things. The way it's portrayed is the thing that makes or breaks a story. If a writer writes about a terrible murder but doesn't make it sound appealing, then it's fine because the author isn't condoning the act, and it's a part of the story just as murder can be a part of real life. However, if the author makes the murder seem appealing or glamorous, then I'd frown upon it because it has unfortunate implications, since they'd be making a crime look glorified. So it all depends on how it's written. If the troublesome content is written in a way that doesn't make it titillating or acceptable to the reader, then it's fine. It's when the author glamorizes negative behaviors that it can be a problem. [/quote] Hmm. The problem is what you define as glamorization? With some definitions, the whole lot of movies you seem to approve of could be portrayed as glamorizing violence... but that'd be kinda stupid. I'd say the problematic things are more subtle than that - failure at realism (say, a war where the 'good' side has no losses for no reasons at all except them being the 'good' guys) , for a lack of better word, the author sounding like they're writing with one hand down their pants (ever seen the FATAL rpg rulebook? Yeah, ugh, it's about twice as horrible as its reputation) , and the like [quote] Oh-sorry I misunderstood your comment. I mistook what you were saying and didn't realize that you meant certain kinds of people were less common-one of your words were censored so I was confused. Sorry. ^^; [/quote] Ugh. Sorry. Happens. [quote] I'm not sure I follow your argument-are you saying that characters calling each other rude words depends on context?-but I guess there isn't always a consequence. [/quote] Neither is there IRL. Otherwise I'd be up my ears in consequences x3. [quote] Like I said, it's up to the author to portray the things in their writing in a responsible manner. The only time I'd take offense to name-calling in fiction is if it made it seem acceptable, casual, or unnecessary. Let's use cussing as an example. Sure, it isn't always attractive, depending on context, but if your characters swear a lot and there isn't a justified reason for it-let's say the characters swearing were raised in a poor area and they aren't smart enough to use more intelligent word choices-then why would you include it? [/quote] Because people from all kinds of setting swear a lot? (I do IRL, for sure). It's a character trait, and well ,the reason is that the author wanted to have such a character around. [quote] Just because you can do something in fiction without consequence doesn't mean you should. Basically, I'm saying that yeah, fictional actions may not have real-life consequences, but just because you can doesn't mean you should if it's unnecessary for the story. [/quote] I think fictional characters should act as dictated by their character motivations, personality, and the confines of their universe. As long as they stay true to those things, their actions are OK for a story. [quote] And I agree-making a character a certain gender/race/sexuality/etc. for political purposes isn't a good idea because the character usually isn't interesting as a result. What I meant was that I'm glad Marvel is trying to reach out a bit and provide more diverse characters to appeal to different members of the audience while still making them interesting. I'll use Black Widow and Nick Fury as examples of what I mean. They're both interesting, enjoyable characters, but you never feel that they were created just to add diversity to the story. That's what I meant by that-I honestly think creating diverse characters for political reasons isn't a good idea. [/quote] I guess agreed there.
MythGriffin24 wrote on 2015-01-19 18:57:50:
Hmm. The problem is what you define as glamorization? With some definitions, the whole lot of movies you seem to approve of could be portrayed as glamorizing violence... but that'd be kinda stupid.

I'd say the problematic things are more subtle than that - failure at realism (say, a war where the 'good' side has no losses for no reasons at all except them being the 'good' guys) , for a lack of better word, the author sounding like they're writing with one hand down their pants (ever seen the FATAL rpg rulebook? Yeah, ugh, it's about twice as horrible as its reputation) , and the like
Quote:
Ugh. Sorry. Happens.
Quote:
I'm not sure I follow your argument-are you saying that characters calling each other rude words depends on context?-but I guess there isn't always a consequence.
Neither is there IRL. Otherwise I'd be up my ears in consequences x3.
Quote:
Like I said, it's up to the author to portray the things in their writing in a responsible manner. The only time I'd take offense to name-calling in fiction is if it made it seem acceptable, casual, or unnecessary. Let's use cussing as an example. Sure, it isn't always attractive, depending on context, but if your characters swear a lot and there isn't a justified reason for it-let's say the characters swearing were raised in a poor area and they aren't smart enough to use more intelligent word choices-then why would you include it?
Because people from all kinds of setting swear a lot? (I do IRL, for sure). It's a character trait, and well ,the reason is that the author wanted to have such a character around.
Quote:
Just because you can do something in fiction without consequence doesn't mean you should. Basically, I'm saying that yeah, fictional actions may not have real-life consequences, but just because you can doesn't mean you should if it's unnecessary for the story.
I think fictional characters should act as dictated by their character motivations, personality, and the confines of their universe. As long as they stay true to those things, their actions are OK for a story.

Quote:
I guess agreed there.
I actually kind of agree with you. And, frankly, the Drax comment doesn't even make sense for the character. Unless he thinks all women are that word he used? Because he is all about being literal and saying what he means.

The Loki one bugged me less because he was a villain and because the scene immediately showed Natasha beating him at his own game. But I still wish they had picked something different for him to say.
I actually kind of agree with you. And, frankly, the Drax comment doesn't even make sense for the character. Unless he thinks all women are that word he used? Because he is all about being literal and saying what he means.

The Loki one bugged me less because he was a villain and because the scene immediately showed Natasha beating him at his own game. But I still wish they had picked something different for him to say.
Sig by Snivy14
dEeYK3e.png
Ok, so I didn't read the last few pages, I only read the first couple, I'm trying to get ready for work and I don't have time to read all the comments posted.
But I needed to throw this out there,
Tony Stark, yes, womanizer, yes, egotistical jerk who sleeps around and treats women like they are some sort of game to be won, yes.
HOWEVER, it's a crucial part of the character that slowly changes away from that.
For the most part though, Tony Stark is the perfect example of a pig in sexist regards. But there's a reason for that.

The creator of the comic has stated that he wanted to make a hero that was dirty, he wanted Tony Stark to be a loathsome sort of man that if met in real life most women would want to deck him in his handsome jaw.
That was the point, he was supposed to be offensive and crude, he was all the worst traits a man can have. The creator wanted to challenge himself to make a hero that was hard to like.
But over time as people came to like him, he started to change in the comic series as well.

So yeah, you can't really use a character that was supposed to be offensive as an arguing point for your discussion.
If you were to read his comic series, Stark isn't as bad as he seems, and he's not nearly as bad now as he used to be.

Just needed to throw that out there as an avid Iron Man fan who has gone so far as to plan out an arc reactor tattoo (Which I may be getting this year finally) and has a bearded dragon named Stark lol.

Small Edit:
Before anyone thinks 'of course this guy likes stark he's probably just like him'
I'm a chick. I've loved Iron Man since I was a wee child, I'm now an adult, married, with my own family (fur babies I don't like actual babies), and I still adore the character now for his growth over the years, just as much as I loved his crude cut humor as a younger me.
Ok, so I didn't read the last few pages, I only read the first couple, I'm trying to get ready for work and I don't have time to read all the comments posted.
But I needed to throw this out there,
Tony Stark, yes, womanizer, yes, egotistical jerk who sleeps around and treats women like they are some sort of game to be won, yes.
HOWEVER, it's a crucial part of the character that slowly changes away from that.
For the most part though, Tony Stark is the perfect example of a pig in sexist regards. But there's a reason for that.

The creator of the comic has stated that he wanted to make a hero that was dirty, he wanted Tony Stark to be a loathsome sort of man that if met in real life most women would want to deck him in his handsome jaw.
That was the point, he was supposed to be offensive and crude, he was all the worst traits a man can have. The creator wanted to challenge himself to make a hero that was hard to like.
But over time as people came to like him, he started to change in the comic series as well.

So yeah, you can't really use a character that was supposed to be offensive as an arguing point for your discussion.
If you were to read his comic series, Stark isn't as bad as he seems, and he's not nearly as bad now as he used to be.

Just needed to throw that out there as an avid Iron Man fan who has gone so far as to plan out an arc reactor tattoo (Which I may be getting this year finally) and has a bearded dragon named Stark lol.

Small Edit:
Before anyone thinks 'of course this guy likes stark he's probably just like him'
I'm a chick. I've loved Iron Man since I was a wee child, I'm now an adult, married, with my own family (fur babies I don't like actual babies), and I still adore the character now for his growth over the years, just as much as I loved his crude cut humor as a younger me.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8