Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | And you are dead [Aura Lore Update]
[center]Just wanted to bring attention to this post from another thread in case others haven't seen it, since I noticed people are giving most if not all of the credit to Romion. [quote name="Romion" date="2024-10-02 12:22:54" ] I appreciate the kind words and am so glad to see others enjoying the update as much as I did! I just want to give credit where it's due—@/Aequorin and @/Xhaztol had already put in the overwhelming majority of the work on this story when I got here, so my primary focus was on editing and continuing to apply the feedback from sensitivity readers. Everyone with a hand in the lore played a heavy role in rewriting, reviewing, and editing this into what you see today. It was quite a team effort, made all the better by those who were willing to put in the labor to provide critical sensitivity reviews along the way! [emoji=auraboa love size=1] [/quote] That said, I did enjoy this story a lot more than the original. I think everyone did a good job addressing the concerns of the community. Hoping this means Dusthide lore before the end of the year as well.[/center]
Just wanted to bring attention to this post from another thread in case others haven't seen it, since I noticed people are giving most if not all of the credit to Romion.
Romion wrote on 2024-10-02 12:22:54:
I appreciate the kind words and am so glad to see others enjoying the update as much as I did! I just want to give credit where it's due—@/Aequorin and @/Xhaztol had already put in the overwhelming majority of the work on this story when I got here, so my primary focus was on editing and continuing to apply the feedback from sensitivity readers. Everyone with a hand in the lore played a heavy role in rewriting, reviewing, and editing this into what you see today. It was quite a team effort, made all the better by those who were willing to put in the labor to provide critical sensitivity reviews along the way!

That said, I did enjoy this story a lot more than the original. I think everyone did a good job addressing the concerns of the community. Hoping this means Dusthide lore before the end of the year as well.
Sulli | He/Him | Adult | Pings Allowed
See profile for other information.
oh my god the story is so much better now that they're not adhering to telegraph rules and counting the number of words they have to pay for. *o* Auraboa lore is definitely my favorite dragon lore now. But Arrival is also one of my favorite movies, so I'm biased.
oh my god the story is so much better now that they're not adhering to telegraph rules and counting the number of words they have to pay for. *o* Auraboa lore is definitely my favorite dragon lore now. But Arrival is also one of my favorite movies, so I'm biased.
f2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.gif
[quote name="Istoki" date="2024-10-02 09:58:34" ] [quote name="JadeJester22" date="2024-10-02 09:35:48" ] It’s overall better quality (even giving the old version the benefit of the doubt by not counting any unfortunate implications, although the original wasn’t necessarily all that bad quality wise.) I will admit it’s very long for a breed story though, and it leans more into the “mystic/enlighted native” trope way more than before.[/quote] The reason it's far longer than the other stories is directly tied to the feedback FR's team received about the content they originally cut for word length purposes. Folks didn't like that. As for the "mystic native" trope: there was always going to be a risk of that when the concept for non-linear time dragons got paired with the Nature flight. I can see some concerns there still, but not so much that it tarnishes the story. [/quote] I totally get what you mean here. In fact, I'm that way about the original version- there's always a risk someone takes it the wrong way when you have dragons that seem to not understand something mundane to most like sleeping, but the original story itself was actually free of any bad implications and the response was caused by people drawing parallels to the real world (for example, the broken speech was interpreted in an unfortunate manner when all it meant was that an Auraboa was communicating in a way unnatural for it, hence struggling a little to articulate.) Also, unrelated, but the difference in the logic behind Auraboa and non-auraboa dragons is reflected by Clover. Clover sees names like self-expression, but being linked to the other Auraboa and therefore "knowing" them all in a way, they don't really understand the practical reasons why parents name their children while they're too young to name themselves. It's a slightly subtle detail, but it fleshes out their though processes more.
Istoki wrote on 2024-10-02 09:58:34:
JadeJester22 wrote on 2024-10-02 09:35:48:
It’s overall better quality (even giving the old version the benefit of the doubt by not counting any unfortunate implications, although the original wasn’t necessarily all that bad quality wise.)

I will admit it’s very long for a breed story though, and it leans more into the “mystic/enlighted native” trope way more than before.

The reason it's far longer than the other stories is directly tied to the feedback FR's team received about the content they originally cut for word length purposes. Folks didn't like that.

As for the "mystic native" trope: there was always going to be a risk of that when the concept for non-linear time dragons got paired with the Nature flight. I can see some concerns there still, but not so much that it tarnishes the story.

I totally get what you mean here. In fact, I'm that way about the original version- there's always a risk someone takes it the wrong way when you have dragons that seem to not understand something mundane to most like sleeping, but the original story itself was actually free of any bad implications and the response was caused by people drawing parallels to the real world (for example, the broken speech was interpreted in an unfortunate manner when all it meant was that an Auraboa was communicating in a way unnatural for it, hence struggling a little to articulate.)

Also, unrelated, but the difference in the logic behind Auraboa and non-auraboa dragons is reflected by Clover. Clover sees names like self-expression, but being linked to the other Auraboa and therefore "knowing" them all in a way, they don't really understand the practical reasons why parents name their children while they're too young to name themselves. It's a slightly subtle detail, but it fleshes out their though processes more.
RSUsSvx.png
[quote name="Istoki" date="2024-10-02 09:58:34" ] [quote name="JadeJester22" date="2024-10-02 09:35:48" ] It’s overall better quality (even giving the old version the benefit of the doubt by not counting any unfortunate implications, although the original wasn’t necessarily all that bad quality wise.) I will admit it’s very long for a breed story though, and it leans more into the “mystic/enlighted native” trope way more than before.[/quote] The reason it's far longer than the other stories is directly tied to the feedback FR's team received about the content they originally cut for word length purposes. Folks didn't like that. As for the "mystic native" trope: there was always going to be a risk of that when the concept for non-linear time dragons got paired with the Nature flight. I can see some concerns there still, but not so much that it tarnishes the story. [/quote] I'm going to second that I did not get that "mystic native" impression at all. The older Auraboas read not unlike a unique neurotype (autism, ADHD allegory) from the start, and the plot as an inverted "my kid is weird, are they okay?" experience (where the characters with a different neurotype than the readers are concerned about their offspring sharing the readers' perspective, which is a very thoughtful way to write that kind of story).
Istoki wrote on 2024-10-02 09:58:34:
JadeJester22 wrote on 2024-10-02 09:35:48:
It’s overall better quality (even giving the old version the benefit of the doubt by not counting any unfortunate implications, although the original wasn’t necessarily all that bad quality wise.)

I will admit it’s very long for a breed story though, and it leans more into the “mystic/enlighted native” trope way more than before.

The reason it's far longer than the other stories is directly tied to the feedback FR's team received about the content they originally cut for word length purposes. Folks didn't like that.

As for the "mystic native" trope: there was always going to be a risk of that when the concept for non-linear time dragons got paired with the Nature flight. I can see some concerns there still, but not so much that it tarnishes the story.

I'm going to second that I did not get that "mystic native" impression at all.

The older Auraboas read not unlike a unique neurotype (autism, ADHD allegory) from the start, and the plot as an inverted "my kid is weird, are they okay?" experience (where the characters with a different neurotype than the readers are concerned about their offspring sharing the readers' perspective, which is a very thoughtful way to write that kind of story).
3P334Mh.gifur1aRQ7.gifXT6s1Yv.gif5hHSdlu.gifNyJQIV5.gif
[quote name="TheBirdandtheBow" date="2024-10-03 10:18:37" ] The older Auraboas read not unlike a unique neurotype (autism, ADHD allegory) from the start, and the plot as an inverted "my kid is weird, are they okay?" experience (where the characters with a different neurotype than the readers are concerned about their offspring sharing the readers' perspective, which is a very thoughtful way to write that kind of story). [/quote] Based on some of the replies we've seen both here in our forums and on social media, it's important for everyone to note that two things can be true at the same time. First, that players were right to raise concerns and call our attention to where our story fell into or made space for harmful and racist stereotypes and/or tropes. The concerns raised were/are valid and we had work to do. Second, that the story and the Auraboa were — in both iterations — informed by lived experience with communication differences. Specifically, living in a world where how you process, interact, and engage with your surroundings is significantly different from those around you and all the misunderstandings, confusion, and pain that can come with those differences. Thank you for seeing them and for the opportunity to address this overall issue, @TheBirdandtheBow. Neither truth invalidates the other. Discussion of the story, what you liked, what you didn't like, that's all okay. Encouraged, even! What we don't want to see is our community re-litigating the circumstances that lead to the update of [I]Ancient Arboriculture Observations[/I]. That will make space for and invite bad faith takes and bigotry. The community brought valid concerns to our attention. We updated the story in response to those concerns and [b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/3368240]provided insight[/url][/b] to our process. And now we're moving forward.
TheBirdandtheBow wrote on 2024-10-03 10:18:37:
The older Auraboas read not unlike a unique neurotype (autism, ADHD allegory) from the start, and the plot as an inverted "my kid is weird, are they okay?" experience (where the characters with a different neurotype than the readers are concerned about their offspring sharing the readers' perspective, which is a very thoughtful way to write that kind of story).

Based on some of the replies we've seen both here in our forums and on social media, it's important for everyone to note that two things can be true at the same time.

First, that players were right to raise concerns and call our attention to where our story fell into or made space for harmful and racist stereotypes and/or tropes. The concerns raised were/are valid and we had work to do.

Second, that the story and the Auraboa were — in both iterations — informed by lived experience with communication differences. Specifically, living in a world where how you process, interact, and engage with your surroundings is significantly different from those around you and all the misunderstandings, confusion, and pain that can come with those differences. Thank you for seeing them and for the opportunity to address this overall issue, @TheBirdandtheBow.

Neither truth invalidates the other. Discussion of the story, what you liked, what you didn't like, that's all okay. Encouraged, even! What we don't want to see is our community re-litigating the circumstances that lead to the update of Ancient Arboriculture Observations. That will make space for and invite bad faith takes and bigotry. The community brought valid concerns to our attention. We updated the story in response to those concerns and provided insight to our process. And now we're moving forward.
Finally got the chance to read the updated story. Brb now, I'm gonna go cry. I love it so much more ;-;
Finally got the chance to read the updated story. Brb now, I'm gonna go cry. I love it so much more ;-;
FR +0 | Woman
Art | Thread
Sales
dVkftIl.png
x
x
x

Blancblack_egg.gif
hYhXXAs.png
x
x
x

tFFym.png
ZFPkptJ.png
Just got around to reading it. I love the added details, while keeping the core idea of the story the same as before. The way the dialogue was handled was fascinating, what with the way the Auraboa have to have a formalised start and end. Only thing for me is that if I ever have an older generation Auraboa in my lore, it's gonna be tough writing them in haha.

I'm glad the core ideas around the loop, the co-existing past and present and how it's affecting the younger generation was kept. Makes it so my existing stories are still compatible.
Just got around to reading it. I love the added details, while keeping the core idea of the story the same as before. The way the dialogue was handled was fascinating, what with the way the Auraboa have to have a formalised start and end. Only thing for me is that if I ever have an older generation Auraboa in my lore, it's gonna be tough writing them in haha.

I'm glad the core ideas around the loop, the co-existing past and present and how it's affecting the younger generation was kept. Makes it so my existing stories are still compatible.
Come visit my lore lair! It's a fun time here.

Something strange is happening on Sornieth. All across the world, dragons have begun to be born with multiple elements. How? Why? As dragons all across Sornieth takes notice, the wheel of fate begins to turn, as one fae's search for her mysterious origins leads her down a path that could change Sornieth forever.
Just finally got to reading and omg I love Clover so much.
Just finally got to reading and omg I love Clover so much.
55871_s.gif
PDuDspB.png
JvUa9ma.png
FObX7rS.png
mjtJ868.png
tyEuRXe.png