Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Which flight has the biggest land
Go to previous page
Currently on page 1 Go to page 2
Go to next page
I’m trying to figure out which flight currently has the biggest land, I believe it used to be ice in the past?
“This gleaming field of floes is a fleeting reminder of the former size and glory of the Southern Icefield, which once rivaled expanse of the northern continent.”

Anyone got any fun speculations or theories
I’m trying to figure out which flight currently has the biggest land, I believe it used to be ice in the past?
“This gleaming field of floes is a fleeting reminder of the former size and glory of the Southern Icefield, which once rivaled expanse of the northern continent.”

Anyone got any fun speculations or theories
I don’t know what to put here
I think the Flight with the most landmass is Ice, but technically the largest Flight region is probably the Sea of a Thousand Currents.
I think the Flight with the most landmass is Ice, but technically the largest Flight region is probably the Sea of a Thousand Currents.
Need a Dragon Bio? Check out my Lore Shop!
tumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.png
I'ts likely still Ice, though I'm seconding McAlli's guess for water...

Though I think Arcane has floating observatories and space ships??? Are we counting air space use? Wind might be up there as well
I'ts likely still Ice, though I'm seconding McAlli's guess for water...

Though I think Arcane has floating observatories and space ships??? Are we counting air space use? Wind might be up there as well
wqnTQE2.png Adult Player | She/they | 3+ FR Time | Wishlist
  • nothing's new...
im gonna go with ice and water, at an almost equal tie because i believe that water simply cant own an entire oceanic region. i hold belief that it claims ownership over the most prosperous areas, and the fathom migration routes, but perhaps not all of it. ice may also potentially expand in the winter because of icesheets forming.
im gonna go with ice and water, at an almost equal tie because i believe that water simply cant own an entire oceanic region. i hold belief that it claims ownership over the most prosperous areas, and the fathom migration routes, but perhaps not all of it. ice may also potentially expand in the winter because of icesheets forming.
Uomm4bf.png
yvMj9jM.png the silliest goob alive
UkjerOF.png
[quote name="McAlli" date="2024-07-26 07:37:56" ] I think the Flight with the most landmass is Ice, but technically the largest Flight region is probably the Sea of a Thousand Currents. [/quote] I probably should have thought about waters territory, I feel dumb now [emoji=skydancer scared size=1]
McAlli wrote on 2024-07-26 07:37:56:
I probably should have thought about waters territory, I feel dumb now
I don’t know what to put here
[quote name="@Littlelion420" date="2024-07-26 07:43:03" ] [quote name="McAlli" date="2024-07-26 07:37:56" ] I think the Flight with the most landmass is Ice, but technically the largest Flight region is probably the Sea of a Thousand Currents. [/quote] I probably should have thought about waters territory, I feel dumb now [emoji=skydancer scared size=1] [/quote] It's fine lmao! I think it's hard to imagine bc the map is actually quite squanched, but if you read the blurb it says the Sea is "so vast that [someone on the shore] could only see the faint silhouettes of the land on the horizons". Which the map does NOT do justice lmao Edit: Also if you think about space that dragons can take up, for water they have the seabed, the water itself, AND the airspace above the water.
@Littlelion420 wrote on 2024-07-26 07:43:03:
McAlli wrote on 2024-07-26 07:37:56:
I probably should have thought about waters territory, I feel dumb now

It's fine lmao! I think it's hard to imagine bc the map is actually quite squanched, but if you read the blurb it says the Sea is "so vast that [someone on the shore] could only see the faint silhouettes of the land on the horizons". Which the map does NOT do justice lmao

Edit: Also if you think about space that dragons can take up, for water they have the seabed, the water itself, AND the airspace above the water.
The map is interesting.

The Hoverview Vale are higher than Cloudsong.

The Behemoth is visible from nearly everywhere. Possibly not from the Southern Icefields, considering the distance.

However, the Sea of a Thousand Currents is so large opposite coasts are barely visible.

The Cloudscrape Crags are not the tallest mountains, just among them. The Great Furnace is the largest active volcano, but the only volcanos seem to be in the Ashfall Waste.

The Southern Icefield appears to be the largest landmass, though majorily by (melting) ice. It is "rivaling the size of the continents watching from above". Continents being domains? Or the entire land of Sornieth?
The map is interesting.

The Hoverview Vale are higher than Cloudsong.

The Behemoth is visible from nearly everywhere. Possibly not from the Southern Icefields, considering the distance.

However, the Sea of a Thousand Currents is so large opposite coasts are barely visible.

The Cloudscrape Crags are not the tallest mountains, just among them. The Great Furnace is the largest active volcano, but the only volcanos seem to be in the Ashfall Waste.

The Southern Icefield appears to be the largest landmass, though majorily by (melting) ice. It is "rivaling the size of the continents watching from above". Continents being domains? Or the entire land of Sornieth?
c31cd73353e8e18a174efbb6ef9aa809.gif
[quote name="Toothcan" date="2024-07-26 08:32:43" ] The Southern Icefield appears to be the largest landmass, though majorily by (melting) ice. It is "rivaling the size of the continents watching from above". Continents being domains? Or the entire land of Sornieth? [/quote] I think what it means is that the Southern Icefields used to be as huge as the rest of all the regions combined, but over time have melted away to be what they are currently.
Toothcan wrote on 2024-07-26 08:32:43:

I think what it means is that the Southern Icefields used to be as huge as the rest of all the regions combined, but over time have melted away to be what they are currently.
@McAlli makes sense, since that was in context with its history.
@McAlli makes sense, since that was in context with its history.
c31cd73353e8e18a174efbb6ef9aa809.gif
[quote name="McAlli" date="2024-07-26 07:52:48" ] ... It's fine lmao! I think it's hard to imagine bc the map is actually quite squanched, but if you read the blurb it says the Sea is "so vast that [someone on the shore] could only see the faint silhouettes of the land on the horizons". Which the map does NOT do justice lmao [/quote] Actually that would imply that the sea is much, much smaller then you'd expect. The horizon is only a few miles away on Earth, being able to see the far shore at all would make the sea of a thousand currents much, much smaller then any sea or even any of the great lakes on Earth. I've been on normal sized lakes where I could faintly see the land on the far end. It's... not much of a feat. Edit: So to put some numbers on this, if an imp is 10 m tall, and the planet is roughly the size of Earth (I believe it's canonically a bit bigger? But I'm not tracking that down right now) then the horizon is roughly 11.3 km, or 7 miles away. The smallest lake with a given length on the [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lakes_by_area]Wikipedia "List of Largest Lakes"[/url] has a length of 75 km / 47 miles. 7 miles across is a respectable lake, but not actually a large one. And for a sea it's nothing. Edit 2 because I'm board: So if the sea of a thousand currents has a width of 11.3 km / 7 miles, as estimated above, and is roughly circular, which it looks on the map, it has an area of about 100 km / 38.5 miles, which would make it about the 132nd largest lake in Europe. AKA the continent that doesn't have any of the actually big lakes in it. Sornith's total size relative to Scandinavia if you take that blurb about the sea of a thousand currents size at face value: [img]https://kindredsol.neocities.org/misc/whymap.png[/img]
McAlli wrote on 2024-07-26 07:52:48:

It's fine lmao! I think it's hard to imagine bc the map is actually quite squanched, but if you read the blurb it says the Sea is "so vast that [someone on the shore] could only see the faint silhouettes of the land on the horizons". Which the map does NOT do justice lmao

Actually that would imply that the sea is much, much smaller then you'd expect. The horizon is only a few miles away on Earth, being able to see the far shore at all would make the sea of a thousand currents much, much smaller then any sea or even any of the great lakes on Earth.

I've been on normal sized lakes where I could faintly see the land on the far end. It's... not much of a feat.

Edit:
So to put some numbers on this, if an imp is 10 m tall, and the planet is roughly the size of Earth (I believe it's canonically a bit bigger? But I'm not tracking that down right now) then the horizon is roughly 11.3 km, or 7 miles away.

The smallest lake with a given length on the Wikipedia "List of Largest Lakes" has a length of 75 km / 47 miles.

7 miles across is a respectable lake, but not actually a large one. And for a sea it's nothing.

Edit 2 because I'm board:
So if the sea of a thousand currents has a width of 11.3 km / 7 miles, as estimated above, and is roughly circular, which it looks on the map, it has an area of about 100 km / 38.5 miles, which would make it about the 132nd largest lake in Europe. AKA the continent that doesn't have any of the actually big lakes in it.

Sornith's total size relative to Scandinavia if you take that blurb about the sea of a thousand currents size at face value:
whymap.png
giphy.gif
BanescaleSig.png
giphy.gif
Go to previous page
Currently on page 1 Go to page 2
Go to next page