Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Blanket toggle for reflection scrolls
No support
No support
M i s s A r i #29593
windie at heart | familiar collector | master of trades
A pixel adoptable of an Aqua/Rose Skydancer from Wind flight. She is wearing pearly jewellery and pink arm silks.
they already have an april fool's toggle so i'm honestly a bit shocked that this was released without one? y'all i had a physical reaction to seeing flipped spiral m. dizziness, sweating, heart racing. i have never had more than a very minor issue with any visual changes on this site before. i'm now literally scared to go into other people's lairs? i don't even want to look at what the other flipped poses look like because spiral m is so physically disorienting to look at. this is not a minor discomfort. major support

edit: the number of responses saying "i'm all for accessibility BUT" (so you're not) or accusing people of just straight up lying/exaggerating about the physical symptoms we're experiencing is extremely disheartening. i have NEVER had a response like this to art on this site. it's the exact same feeling that looking at a trypophobia image gives me. i can't just pick and choose which lairs to look at because how am i supposed to know in advance who is and isn't using this scroll until i've already seen the dragon? i don't know what to do when i explain that i'm having physical symptoms and the response is either "no you're not" or "it's not that big a deal".
they already have an april fool's toggle so i'm honestly a bit shocked that this was released without one? y'all i had a physical reaction to seeing flipped spiral m. dizziness, sweating, heart racing. i have never had more than a very minor issue with any visual changes on this site before. i'm now literally scared to go into other people's lairs? i don't even want to look at what the other flipped poses look like because spiral m is so physically disorienting to look at. this is not a minor discomfort. major support

edit: the number of responses saying "i'm all for accessibility BUT" (so you're not) or accusing people of just straight up lying/exaggerating about the physical symptoms we're experiencing is extremely disheartening. i have NEVER had a response like this to art on this site. it's the exact same feeling that looking at a trypophobia image gives me. i can't just pick and choose which lairs to look at because how am i supposed to know in advance who is and isn't using this scroll until i've already seen the dragon? i don't know what to do when i explain that i'm having physical symptoms and the response is either "no you're not" or "it's not that big a deal".
g7boK5H.pngZ56llRE.pngnmpR0ff.png
No Support
No Support
135783.png
92556387.png

Activity | Projects | UMAs
Farming Notes
Pretty Fodder

72964495.png
86867754.png
[quote name="DeathbyPixelz" date="2024-07-01 16:26:56" ] [quote name="Kahvinporo" date="2024-07-01 15:11:20" ] [quote name="Almedha" date="2024-07-01 14:30:58" ] I think I'm also gonna say no support, or still to wait at least a week. This happens literally every visual update, no matter how tiny. If people aren't getting migraines from the forums' new round corners, it's from the slightly different icons on the side bar. Because of that, I'm pretty confident that, like every other visual update, we just have to wait a week or two for this to pass. And if that doesn't work out, by all means. But this is certainly premature. [/quote] I'm kinda on the same boat, especially because flipped dragon images have already existed in one way or another since the day 0. People, including me, use flipped images on breeding pair cards, to show skins on scries... and staff also use them on announcements: [img]https://flightrising.com/dropbox/updates/fathomlessadventure.png[/img] [img]https://flightrising.com/dropbox/updates/stealingfromaethers.png[/img] + in coliseum of course. I do however support giving users ways to hide whatever makes them uncomfortable, we all are individuals and what is okay to one isn't okay to someone else. So I don't want staff or anyone else to decide what is important enough to be an option to hide/spoiler/etc. [/quote] Yeah, like... listen I am here agreeing with people I usually... do not agree with. Give it some time, please. If there are still concerns after a week or a month or whatever then yeah, I can't in good conscience argue against an option to disable the effect. But these sorts of threads pop up every single time any part of the website is visually updated. I understand a lot of people have visual and visual processing shenanigans that might make certain things harder to handle than others. But humans and their brains are very adaptive. I think we'll all just get used to it. [/quote] Ditto. It's normal too feel uncomfortable upon seeing a flipped image and once given some time, people grow used to it. Not to mention only a small handful of people are going to use this feature in the first place. I'm all for accessibility, and I'm not gonna discount that for some people this may be genuinely distressing, but not to the extent it needs a toggle. Distressing images are unavoidable on a site with lots of visual diversity -- lots of apparel, genes, skins and dragon looks that appeal some will distress others. You can't account for everything. The point about the updates using flipped images is a good reason for this. I can't think of a single time in the site's history when people have had trouble with that, and those are still newsposts that get a lot of attention. If that doesn't cause trouble, this won't.
DeathbyPixelz wrote on 2024-07-01 16:26:56:
Kahvinporo wrote on 2024-07-01 15:11:20:
Almedha wrote on 2024-07-01 14:30:58:
I think I'm also gonna say no support, or still to wait at least a week. This happens literally every visual update, no matter how tiny. If people aren't getting migraines from the forums' new round corners, it's from the slightly different icons on the side bar.

Because of that, I'm pretty confident that, like every other visual update, we just have to wait a week or two for this to pass.

And if that doesn't work out, by all means. But this is certainly premature.

I'm kinda on the same boat, especially because flipped dragon images have already existed in one way or another since the day 0. People, including me, use flipped images on breeding pair cards, to show skins on scries... and staff also use them on announcements:

fathomlessadventure.png

stealingfromaethers.png

+ in coliseum of course.

I do however support giving users ways to hide whatever makes them uncomfortable, we all are individuals and what is okay to one isn't okay to someone else. So I don't want staff or anyone else to decide what is important enough to be an option to hide/spoiler/etc.

Yeah, like... listen I am here agreeing with people I usually... do not agree with.

Give it some time, please. If there are still concerns after a week or a month or whatever then yeah, I can't in good conscience argue against an option to disable the effect. But these sorts of threads pop up every single time any part of the website is visually updated. I understand a lot of people have visual and visual processing shenanigans that might make certain things harder to handle than others. But humans and their brains are very adaptive. I think we'll all just get used to it.

Ditto.

It's normal too feel uncomfortable upon seeing a flipped image and once given some time, people grow used to it. Not to mention only a small handful of people are going to use this feature in the first place. I'm all for accessibility, and I'm not gonna discount that for some people this may be genuinely distressing, but not to the extent it needs a toggle. Distressing images are unavoidable on a site with lots of visual diversity -- lots of apparel, genes, skins and dragon looks that appeal some will distress others. You can't account for everything.

The point about the updates using flipped images is a good reason for this. I can't think of a single time in the site's history when people have had trouble with that, and those are still newsposts that get a lot of attention. If that doesn't cause trouble, this won't.

Beyond this, I've always supported some type of user-side custom filter. Whether it blurs out or shows dragons as basic or whatever, it would be nice for players to not only hide flipped images, but also eye types or certain genes or specific colors or apparel or whatever the case may be.
Beyond this, I've always supported some type of user-side custom filter. Whether it blurs out or shows dragons as basic or whatever, it would be nice for players to not only hide flipped images, but also eye types or certain genes or specific colors or apparel or whatever the case may be.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
I'm with the people who say give it some time. Like one user said, we see flipped dragon's all the time in gene show offs, in coli, ect. and no one has brought this up before. I'm pretty sure that if spirals were released today, people would complain about how they pose is disorienting and that it needs to be changed.

And ik everyone is bringing up the April fools toggle but... that was because instead of just flipping the image horizontally, it could also flip it vertically. I'm all for toggles to make stuff accessible (more a fan of a block feature so that there isn't a whole list of toggles), but this feels like something that honestly just needs a week for everyone to get used to.
I'm with the people who say give it some time. Like one user said, we see flipped dragon's all the time in gene show offs, in coli, ect. and no one has brought this up before. I'm pretty sure that if spirals were released today, people would complain about how they pose is disorienting and that it needs to be changed.

And ik everyone is bringing up the April fools toggle but... that was because instead of just flipping the image horizontally, it could also flip it vertically. I'm all for toggles to make stuff accessible (more a fan of a block feature so that there isn't a whole list of toggles), but this feels like something that honestly just needs a week for everyone to get used to.
Strongly no support. This seems like a really big overreaction to me.

What I believe you're experiencing is that it's uncanny to see an image you're used to one direction flipped. It's unsettling and you're not used to it, you'll get used to it in time and I find it hard to believe it's causing anyone any significant amount of nausea. If they don't cause issues un-flipped there's no reason an image is going to cause real issues flipped. It's certainly not causing the same sort of physical reactions people who are photosensitive may get or people with vision issues may get with eye searing colors/bad contrast/etc or the response people with trypophobia get.

Also you can just.. not use it and avoid clicking to view dragons in someone's lair who has it enabled, if you really hate it. The April Fools toggle was because it applied to your dragons, not someone else's.

Additionally, I think it's poor form to add a toggle for an item people are paying gems for and therefore may have paid IRL currency for.
Strongly no support. This seems like a really big overreaction to me.

What I believe you're experiencing is that it's uncanny to see an image you're used to one direction flipped. It's unsettling and you're not used to it, you'll get used to it in time and I find it hard to believe it's causing anyone any significant amount of nausea. If they don't cause issues un-flipped there's no reason an image is going to cause real issues flipped. It's certainly not causing the same sort of physical reactions people who are photosensitive may get or people with vision issues may get with eye searing colors/bad contrast/etc or the response people with trypophobia get.

Also you can just.. not use it and avoid clicking to view dragons in someone's lair who has it enabled, if you really hate it. The April Fools toggle was because it applied to your dragons, not someone else's.

Additionally, I think it's poor form to add a toggle for an item people are paying gems for and therefore may have paid IRL currency for.
iYtOIWU.png
[quote name="Bear" date="2024-07-02 10:15:25" ] Also you can just.. not use it and avoid clicking to view dragons in someone's lair who has it enabled, if you really hate it. The April Fools toggle was because it applied to your dragons, not someone else's. Additionally, I think it's poor form to add a toggle for an item people are paying gems for and therefore may have paid IRL currency for. [/quote] Yup. Big agree on this. No support for a toggle. They're not your dragons, you didn't pay for the changes; you don't get to decide how they look. I promise your eyes and brain will adjust.
Bear wrote on 2024-07-02 10:15:25:

Yup. Big agree on this. No support for a toggle. They're not your dragons, you didn't pay for the changes; you don't get to decide how they look. I promise your eyes and brain will adjust.
I think the issue with the "your brain and body will get used to it" argument that I would probably normally agree with is the fact that this item is going to be niche due to its pricing ;o; There's a chance it may not be common enough to "get used to" and therefore will just continue to persist as an issue that's just uncommon enough to not get used to but common enough that someone who experiences issues may still come across them and feel sick. (Sorry that sentence is worded terribly but idk how to fix it </3) We'll have to wait and see, but how long is that? Is it going to be worth the trouble it might continue to cause?

And if it's going to make users feel bad for paying gems for an item, then that's an issue with the implementation of the item, not the fault of the users that cannot control how it affects their bodies. It shouldn't have been released as a gem marketplace item with no toggle to hide it to prevent this exact conflict of interest. It's extremely unfortunate that it was ;;
I think the issue with the "your brain and body will get used to it" argument that I would probably normally agree with is the fact that this item is going to be niche due to its pricing ;o; There's a chance it may not be common enough to "get used to" and therefore will just continue to persist as an issue that's just uncommon enough to not get used to but common enough that someone who experiences issues may still come across them and feel sick. (Sorry that sentence is worded terribly but idk how to fix it </3) We'll have to wait and see, but how long is that? Is it going to be worth the trouble it might continue to cause?

And if it's going to make users feel bad for paying gems for an item, then that's an issue with the implementation of the item, not the fault of the users that cannot control how it affects their bodies. It shouldn't have been released as a gem marketplace item with no toggle to hide it to prevent this exact conflict of interest. It's extremely unfortunate that it was ;;
I support this idea.
Bundle it in with other account-specific toggle and options if necessary, but I think it should exist.
I understand many people feeling it’s something that’s probably only disorienting due to being new, and this is probably true for many users! But it’s not going to be true for everyone.
Flipping your art while in progress is a very common artist’s technique, especially digitally, to check for balance and flow in a piece. The dragon images were, presumably, made to be viewed in a particular orientation. Some of them work great flipped, some of them, I was honestly surprised to feel my stomach roll around. Perhaps it’s the shading, or the way my brain sees some other factor. Some just look sort of unbalanced to me. I don’t feel like “why” is important, since no one is proposing changing any of the art. :) I do think it’s important that it’s avoidable for those people who are caused discomfort by it.

I support this idea.
Bundle it in with other account-specific toggle and options if necessary, but I think it should exist.
I understand many people feeling it’s something that’s probably only disorienting due to being new, and this is probably true for many users! But it’s not going to be true for everyone.
Flipping your art while in progress is a very common artist’s technique, especially digitally, to check for balance and flow in a piece. The dragon images were, presumably, made to be viewed in a particular orientation. Some of them work great flipped, some of them, I was honestly surprised to feel my stomach roll around. Perhaps it’s the shading, or the way my brain sees some other factor. Some just look sort of unbalanced to me. I don’t feel like “why” is important, since no one is proposing changing any of the art. :) I do think it’s important that it’s avoidable for those people who are caused discomfort by it.

tumblr_n8h81aIYJy1si697do1_500.png