Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Calling all Digital Artists!
Hello fellow Digital Artists; I was looking for some information on what programs you use and or devices to draw on because I’m looking for some recommendations (since I am saving) to purchase a drawing table.

Currently I use my Ipad which is now a little over 5-6 years old now and an apple pen, the program I use is procreate.

I’m like looking for cost effective (I’m going to be going to college in the fall) but functional devices. Any suggestions, recommendations, and or information is very appreciated!
Hello fellow Digital Artists; I was looking for some information on what programs you use and or devices to draw on because I’m looking for some recommendations (since I am saving) to purchase a drawing table.

Currently I use my Ipad which is now a little over 5-6 years old now and an apple pen, the program I use is procreate.

I’m like looking for cost effective (I’m going to be going to college in the fall) but functional devices. Any suggestions, recommendations, and or information is very appreciated!
CDZsGNI.pngyEMmEQl.png
Im drawing in clip studio paint!
u can either one time purhase this program and just use i with the features you bought it with or pay subscription and get updates (i would just get one time payment) its very good program with alot of awesome features but might be overwhelming at first
but i think its worth getting used to it! also recommend getting it on 50% seasonal sale

as for graphic tablet ive been using Huion camvas pro 16 for part 4 years and its very good imo

good luck finding what ur looking for :3
Im drawing in clip studio paint!
u can either one time purhase this program and just use i with the features you bought it with or pay subscription and get updates (i would just get one time payment) its very good program with alot of awesome features but might be overwhelming at first
but i think its worth getting used to it! also recommend getting it on 50% seasonal sale

as for graphic tablet ive been using Huion camvas pro 16 for part 4 years and its very good imo

good luck finding what ur looking for :3
RkCCVmh.pnghh5n4WA.png
0HBKL8H.pnggYW0j5f.png
DoQJ9XF.pngoaolHwW.png
enw0try.pngsJGAfBA.png 1JYuRxl.gif1JYuRxl.gif
Personally I use procreate on an ipad pro that's about 4 years old at this point. I don't have any issues with it (it got me through art college after all lol) and I do like using procreate, but if you're looking to transition to something more desktop-oriented, it depends

Are you looking for non-screened drawing tablets like this Wacom Intuos or something a bit more fancy like the Wacom Cintiq? I personally only ever had an Intuos back in high school before I transitioned to my ipad and it worked just fine! It did take some practice to get comfortable with it tho. As for programs, I've had good recommendations for both Clip Studio and Krita, though having never used either I can't speak much to their price point or features

Anyways sorry if this wasn't much help, good luck with your search! :D
Personally I use procreate on an ipad pro that's about 4 years old at this point. I don't have any issues with it (it got me through art college after all lol) and I do like using procreate, but if you're looking to transition to something more desktop-oriented, it depends

Are you looking for non-screened drawing tablets like this Wacom Intuos or something a bit more fancy like the Wacom Cintiq? I personally only ever had an Intuos back in high school before I transitioned to my ipad and it worked just fine! It did take some practice to get comfortable with it tho. As for programs, I've had good recommendations for both Clip Studio and Krita, though having never used either I can't speak much to their price point or features

Anyways sorry if this wasn't much help, good luck with your search! :D
xxxArt of a black and grey wildclaw with green capsule leaping in the air with a big grin. They/Them with non-binary pride flag
Aroace with pride flag
FR Time +3
Student
Lore Info
Art of a red wildclaw from the neck up with pink feathers. Art Shop
Art Dump
Wishlist
Fandragons
Art of a green mirror plushie with brown button eyes.
I primarily use Clip Studio Paint for a majority of my drawings, but I sometimes use Medibang or Krita depending on what I'm drawing. I find Clip Studio to be a lot more easier to use in comparison with Photoshop (Coming from college experience where I did have to use Photoshop a few times), but I recommend giving a few of the free programs a try first to find one you might like before switching to a program like Clip Studio as the interface can vary from program to program.

For graphic tablet, I've mostly used Wacom but I did use a XP-Pen in college when I didn't have my Wacom One with me. I think since you've used an iPad, transitioning to a pen display tablet won't be as scary. Wacom has a more affordable version of their Cintiq which is the Wacom One Pen Display or you can go the route of XP-Pen or Huion. I will mention that some of the graphic tablets come with free trial of certain programs, so that's something to look into.

(Side note: After doing some quick research, Wacom has two models of the Wacom One Pen Display, the Gen 1 and the Gen 2. Gen 1 only came in one size while the Gen 2 comes in two sizes and can be customized.)
I primarily use Clip Studio Paint for a majority of my drawings, but I sometimes use Medibang or Krita depending on what I'm drawing. I find Clip Studio to be a lot more easier to use in comparison with Photoshop (Coming from college experience where I did have to use Photoshop a few times), but I recommend giving a few of the free programs a try first to find one you might like before switching to a program like Clip Studio as the interface can vary from program to program.

For graphic tablet, I've mostly used Wacom but I did use a XP-Pen in college when I didn't have my Wacom One with me. I think since you've used an iPad, transitioning to a pen display tablet won't be as scary. Wacom has a more affordable version of their Cintiq which is the Wacom One Pen Display or you can go the route of XP-Pen or Huion. I will mention that some of the graphic tablets come with free trial of certain programs, so that's something to look into.

(Side note: After doing some quick research, Wacom has two models of the Wacom One Pen Display, the Gen 1 and the Gen 2. Gen 1 only came in one size while the Gen 2 comes in two sizes and can be customized.)
r5WuMt3.pngwviJUMf.pngQxAThAN.png
Honestly, I'm probably not the best to ask because I'm a free program only user and also only work on a desktop comp with a mouse. xD Basic life for me, lol.

But tbh, you really can't go wrong with ye ole MSPaint! I've used it ever since my start with digital art, and while sure I use Krita sometimes (mostly for effects Paint simply cannot do - or maybe as well? Idk, I've seen very talented MSPaint artists and you'd think they drew their works with something else!), I honestly am most attached to Paint because of its simplicity and just being seen as a childhood friend.

Plus Paint comes with most computers - or at least Windows, I suppose? Idk, I've never used anything non-Windows aside from my iPad (and it was not meant for drawing; It may be older than yours! xD), so can't give out any experiences with things like Macbooks, etc. Otherwise you could probably find free downloads~

I admit, I've tried to use a tablet for my art, but I've used a mouse for so long, I actually preferred it over anything else. xD I can't even recommend a tablet for people since I can't really afford much, so luckily there are others here who can. xD But honestly, I also feel so accomplished drawing with a mouse and people being like "wow, that was with a mouse?" or "I can't imagine using a mouse!" - even if my art's not high quality. xD Just makes me feel good - even if it seems more natrual than a tablet somehow.
Honestly, I'm probably not the best to ask because I'm a free program only user and also only work on a desktop comp with a mouse. xD Basic life for me, lol.

But tbh, you really can't go wrong with ye ole MSPaint! I've used it ever since my start with digital art, and while sure I use Krita sometimes (mostly for effects Paint simply cannot do - or maybe as well? Idk, I've seen very talented MSPaint artists and you'd think they drew their works with something else!), I honestly am most attached to Paint because of its simplicity and just being seen as a childhood friend.

Plus Paint comes with most computers - or at least Windows, I suppose? Idk, I've never used anything non-Windows aside from my iPad (and it was not meant for drawing; It may be older than yours! xD), so can't give out any experiences with things like Macbooks, etc. Otherwise you could probably find free downloads~

I admit, I've tried to use a tablet for my art, but I've used a mouse for so long, I actually preferred it over anything else. xD I can't even recommend a tablet for people since I can't really afford much, so luckily there are others here who can. xD But honestly, I also feel so accomplished drawing with a mouse and people being like "wow, that was with a mouse?" or "I can't imagine using a mouse!" - even if my art's not high quality. xD Just makes me feel good - even if it seems more natrual than a tablet somehow.
Won't add a lot of info, but for the record/reference, I have wacom intuos (which was like 100€ back then in 2014) and use Clip Studio Paint PRO which now works in a one-time payment with the option of monthly subscription to get all updates of versions 2.1 2.2 2.3 etc. (I got punctual payment 2.0 and it works good).

My friend who picked up drawing last year is using Krita and they seem to be happy with how it works, plus it's free! also from when they stream, it seems to have most common functions to other programs.

Some years ago I used to use Paint Tool SAI which is also a reasonable (compared to an Adobe subscription ugh) one time payment, tho a little more expensive than CSP.
Won't add a lot of info, but for the record/reference, I have wacom intuos (which was like 100€ back then in 2014) and use Clip Studio Paint PRO which now works in a one-time payment with the option of monthly subscription to get all updates of versions 2.1 2.2 2.3 etc. (I got punctual payment 2.0 and it works good).

My friend who picked up drawing last year is using Krita and they seem to be happy with how it works, plus it's free! also from when they stream, it seems to have most common functions to other programs.

Some years ago I used to use Paint Tool SAI which is also a reasonable (compared to an Adobe subscription ugh) one time payment, tho a little more expensive than CSP.
lHELhsr.png ....
They/them | FR+9 | Adult
Open commissions & portfolio
Remember to drink water and rest!
FR Adopt shop (All breeds available!)
I use Clip Studio Paint with an old Wacom drawing tablet. I've tried out a few different art programmes, and Clip is definitely my favorite of them all
I use Clip Studio Paint with an old Wacom drawing tablet. I've tried out a few different art programmes, and Clip is definitely my favorite of them all
47018780_aXHVazmsVPt3a30.png3f3c4c9ef2ed23e22d8cfe4de42dd06a7832ab91.png
I personally use a Wacom Cintiq (don't remember which model, though, unfortunately). It's quite nice and simple enough to use, but can be a little bit bulky in my opinion.

As for programs, I have used Paint Tool SAI in the past and liked it, but if you were interested in a free program I'd recommend Krita! I'm still fairly new to it, but I think it's a great option if you want to save some money and still get a nice program. I have also used Medibang in the past, and it's not too bad. It's another nice free option, but I would probably lean more toward Krita over it.

If you want some photo editing software, obviously there are programs such as Photoshop and Lightroom that you have to pay for, but if you would like a nice free counterpart then I would recommend GIMP for sure!
I personally use a Wacom Cintiq (don't remember which model, though, unfortunately). It's quite nice and simple enough to use, but can be a little bit bulky in my opinion.

As for programs, I have used Paint Tool SAI in the past and liked it, but if you were interested in a free program I'd recommend Krita! I'm still fairly new to it, but I think it's a great option if you want to save some money and still get a nice program. I have also used Medibang in the past, and it's not too bad. It's another nice free option, but I would probably lean more toward Krita over it.

If you want some photo editing software, obviously there are programs such as Photoshop and Lightroom that you have to pay for, but if you would like a nice free counterpart then I would recommend GIMP for sure!