Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | ...Dissapointed w/ the Dusthides
1 2 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
I didn't have my hopes up even though earth is my fav element, but the teaser got me slightly hopeful for bug possibilities. I knew it wouldn't go that way, buuuut had hopes for scuttle tertiary crossover. No dice.

These guys visually feel like starter dragons. They are extremely basic and any interesting/distinguishing characteristics (plating, the point on the back of their heads, tail plates/shape, pincer claws) aren't noticeable enough to stand out against the dragon's overall sameness of shapes. The potential and character gets lost in it all, melding together so that it feels like something's missing: there's not enough pushed to set it apart from other dragons at a glance.
I didn't have my hopes up even though earth is my fav element, but the teaser got me slightly hopeful for bug possibilities. I knew it wouldn't go that way, buuuut had hopes for scuttle tertiary crossover. No dice.

These guys visually feel like starter dragons. They are extremely basic and any interesting/distinguishing characteristics (plating, the point on the back of their heads, tail plates/shape, pincer claws) aren't noticeable enough to stand out against the dragon's overall sameness of shapes. The potential and character gets lost in it all, melding together so that it feels like something's missing: there's not enough pushed to set it apart from other dragons at a glance.
Tbh I didn't really have my hopes up either? I'm still baffled Earth got an ancient as soon as this haha. I do say I am kinda disappointed though - they would've looked better without wings and their heads seem rather bland without horns or anything

I've only hatched one of my Dusthides atm but I'm going to try scrying him as soon as possible to hopefully try and redeem him (the secondary colour is very unfortunate)
Tbh I didn't really have my hopes up either? I'm still baffled Earth got an ancient as soon as this haha. I do say I am kinda disappointed though - they would've looked better without wings and their heads seem rather bland without horns or anything

I've only hatched one of my Dusthides atm but I'm going to try scrying him as soon as possible to hopefully try and redeem him (the secondary colour is very unfortunate)
75166122_VZYp9DEPHPhPQoY.png 63854292_WsxXCfbzeWT8ESA.png 75166122_VZYp9DEPHPhPQoY.png

fLdYOuE.pngpIlgc2u.pngRkXJJ5L.pngmtHAEL4.pngbYt72YT.pngQUIpVFE.png
jbMLSIO.pngleo4ZYP.pngC3gPKb3.png66wxnCy.pngrUoKR6y.pngll0CfnD.png
I'm sorry but everyone coming in here, the Criticism Thread, to say things like "you're being rude".... please just stop. Close the tab. There's a positivity thread, go in there instead. It's not rude to say you feel a part of a design was forced. The wings on Undertides do stick out and look tacked on - that's just how I feel. If they wanted to give them wings, fine, but there's a better way to incorporate wings than what they did. [img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ExooptLVgAIfILC.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/xtYmIqd.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/kWLOk0Z.png[/img] Not saying that Undel should Specifically Cater To My Vision, just that there was a better way to include wings. Tbh I have a whole lot of issues with the Undertide design, but this is not the thread for it. I just hope we will get more underwater dragons. This is about Dusthides though so I'll get back on track. I still believe Dusthides do not need wings. No reason why they couldn't have had a shell or plating as people have been suggesting. A wingless design CAN work. They were so nearly there with Sandsurges.
I'm sorry but everyone coming in here, the Criticism Thread, to say things like "you're being rude".... please just stop. Close the tab. There's a positivity thread, go in there instead.

It's not rude to say you feel a part of a design was forced. The wings on Undertides do stick out and look tacked on - that's just how I feel. If they wanted to give them wings, fine, but there's a better way to incorporate wings than what they did.

ExooptLVgAIfILC.png
xtYmIqd.png
kWLOk0Z.png

Not saying that Undel should Specifically Cater To My Vision, just that there was a better way to include wings. Tbh I have a whole lot of issues with the Undertide design, but this is not the thread for it. I just hope we will get more underwater dragons.

This is about Dusthides though so I'll get back on track. I still believe Dusthides do not need wings. No reason why they couldn't have had a shell or plating as people have been suggesting. A wingless design CAN work. They were so nearly there with Sandsurges.
I'm throwing my two cents into the ring
I think they're fine. I'm kinda glad they're not snapper like, purely for the sole reason that the male snapper's face creeps me out

Ik then being bald is like one of their defining features but.. that's probably what I like least about them. Idk. They really do look incomplete without a line breaking tert. But it's also a personal thing of my own tastes because all dragons without horns look off to me
I'm throwing my two cents into the ring
I think they're fine. I'm kinda glad they're not snapper like, purely for the sole reason that the male snapper's face creeps me out

Ik then being bald is like one of their defining features but.. that's probably what I like least about them. Idk. They really do look incomplete without a line breaking tert. But it's also a personal thing of my own tastes because all dragons without horns look off to me
LEpJMnn.png
J8QoPxT.png
CtM8cLF.png tqGkHih.png
5DjYECS.png
For me, it's the baldness. I understand that gives the terts more to do, but I don't really like the concept of a tert carrying a dragon in its entirety. I was hoping for a wyrm type dragon or something that was more spikey.

On the plus side, I'm not spending gems on new UMAs so that's something. Which btw I've seen some of the new UMA for dusthides and they all look amazing! Artists are out here kicking butt!

The best part about Flight Rising is all the different dragons though, so if dusthides aren't your thing maybe the next ancient will be?
For me, it's the baldness. I understand that gives the terts more to do, but I don't really like the concept of a tert carrying a dragon in its entirety. I was hoping for a wyrm type dragon or something that was more spikey.

On the plus side, I'm not spending gems on new UMAs so that's something. Which btw I've seen some of the new UMA for dusthides and they all look amazing! Artists are out here kicking butt!

The best part about Flight Rising is all the different dragons though, so if dusthides aren't your thing maybe the next ancient will be?
marina_small_by_wesleart_by_bombswan-db2x2ss.png
[quote name="Lawful" date="2024-04-21 10:08:07" ] The best part about Flight Rising is all the different dragons though, so if dusthides aren't your thing maybe the next ancient will be? [/quote] Totally! Once they expand the gene pool I'll definitely have more reason to want more (i already have 3 and gene plans for my first 2) but yeah. Over I don't outright dislike any ancients, I just like some more and some less due to personal preference
Lawful wrote on 2024-04-21 10:08:07:

Totally! Once they expand the gene pool I'll definitely have more reason to want more (i already have 3 and gene plans for my first 2) but yeah. Over I don't outright dislike any ancients, I just like some more and some less due to personal preference
LEpJMnn.png
J8QoPxT.png
CtM8cLF.png tqGkHih.png
5DjYECS.png
With the Wavecrest gene, I’ve come to the conclusion that Dusthides are a Water breed Turtle-like skull, Angler/Veil, the broad flat tail, the streamline smooth body shape That’s a sea creature, my dudes Edit: Behold, a shark [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=5&bodygene=313&breed=25&element=5&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=110&tertgene=300&winggene=316&wings=51&auth=07f9b90d534de95865a8ca04ef53a1201bc26ca9&dummyext=prev.png[/img]
With the Wavecrest gene, I’ve come to the conclusion that Dusthides are a Water breed

Turtle-like skull, Angler/Veil, the broad flat tail, the streamline smooth body shape

That’s a sea creature, my dudes

Edit: Behold, a shark
dragon?age=1&body=5&bodygene=313&breed=25&element=5&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=110&tertgene=300&winggene=316&wings=51&auth=07f9b90d534de95865a8ca04ef53a1201bc26ca9&dummyext=prev.png
sBdLZtA.png
I love them! They remind me of Hobbits. : )
I love them! They remind me of Hobbits. : )
1rMtjlm.png
while i love how the primary extends onto the back of their wings it does kinda bother me that the f pose’s spine doesn’t seem designed to roll up. woulda been neat if they leaned more into the rolling thing with domed/rounded neck/backs > s curve neck/backs.

overall i like em well enough but can see why others might not. their features feel pretty balanced, like a painting with colors all in equal proportion. or, put another way, the thing that stands out most is what they lack (horns), a feature many of the terts do away with. that makes sense from a mass appeal standpoint—not wanting to lose players on a potentially polarizing design decision—but, at the same time, it makes their unique identity feel fuzzier.

some might say but they have big tails and wings and that’s just it—proportion-wise they’re similar—which draws your eye to the bald head. think that’s why people’ve been inclined to suggest smaller/no wings (though the latter is just a lizard lol).

———

personally, since i like being able to customize/change up looks on the fly with apparel, unless an ancient has an super unique gene/design that feels balanced/complete enough without an accent—to not bother me while i wait for the perfect accent to come into being (which becomes less likely the more breeds there are)—i usually won’t spring for them. still, thinking an ancient breed would be perfect if only it had xyz modern gene, never knowing when if/when it might release is just enough to give me choice paralysis/prevent me from completing many projects. which is to say—while i love scrying ancients, i usually only spring for them if they’re exceptional.

TL;DR: it’s totally fair to just want more unique designs on ancients but i can’t help but wonder if factors like those and how, for example, gem genes don’t carry over—making you want to wait and see if that combo will be better on the next breed, the next breed, the next breed—are contributing to some people’s dissatisfaction with breeds they might otherwise be more neutral on.
while i love how the primary extends onto the back of their wings it does kinda bother me that the f pose’s spine doesn’t seem designed to roll up. woulda been neat if they leaned more into the rolling thing with domed/rounded neck/backs > s curve neck/backs.

overall i like em well enough but can see why others might not. their features feel pretty balanced, like a painting with colors all in equal proportion. or, put another way, the thing that stands out most is what they lack (horns), a feature many of the terts do away with. that makes sense from a mass appeal standpoint—not wanting to lose players on a potentially polarizing design decision—but, at the same time, it makes their unique identity feel fuzzier.

some might say but they have big tails and wings and that’s just it—proportion-wise they’re similar—which draws your eye to the bald head. think that’s why people’ve been inclined to suggest smaller/no wings (though the latter is just a lizard lol).

———

personally, since i like being able to customize/change up looks on the fly with apparel, unless an ancient has an super unique gene/design that feels balanced/complete enough without an accent—to not bother me while i wait for the perfect accent to come into being (which becomes less likely the more breeds there are)—i usually won’t spring for them. still, thinking an ancient breed would be perfect if only it had xyz modern gene, never knowing when if/when it might release is just enough to give me choice paralysis/prevent me from completing many projects. which is to say—while i love scrying ancients, i usually only spring for them if they’re exceptional.

TL;DR: it’s totally fair to just want more unique designs on ancients but i can’t help but wonder if factors like those and how, for example, gem genes don’t carry over—making you want to wait and see if that combo will be better on the next breed, the next breed, the next breed—are contributing to some people’s dissatisfaction with breeds they might otherwise be more neutral on.
HdmxfuE.png
KYSFCiZ.png
eswSnrS.png
yQ62HIx.png
Need a Light nest?

Always happy to host for food / junk apparel / Baldwin
materials when I have space!
LOR2.png
Hard agree on them not really being my favorite aesthetic-wise. The shapes of their heads are a bit weird to look at, and not really appealing unless you cover it up with a tert that works (and not every tertiary gene looks great on every dragon so that's a problem in and of itself). I definitely think the designers could have leaned a bit more into pangolin traits for them or something. If they looked a bit more armored, like I was half-expecting an Earth ancient to look in the first place, then maybe I wouldn't be slightly put off by the design.

....that being said, they are kind of endearing in an ugly sort of way, so I'll take them. They're just not really at the top of the list in terms of my favorite Ancient breed.
Hard agree on them not really being my favorite aesthetic-wise. The shapes of their heads are a bit weird to look at, and not really appealing unless you cover it up with a tert that works (and not every tertiary gene looks great on every dragon so that's a problem in and of itself). I definitely think the designers could have leaned a bit more into pangolin traits for them or something. If they looked a bit more armored, like I was half-expecting an Earth ancient to look in the first place, then maybe I wouldn't be slightly put off by the design.

....that being said, they are kind of endearing in an ugly sort of way, so I'll take them. They're just not really at the top of the list in terms of my favorite Ancient breed.
6bbcbe9acf989176baa27b08e3311178ac4b7a7c.gif
1 2 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33