Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | ...Dissapointed w/ the Dusthides
1 2 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
I think you could make a wingless dragon in FR's aesthetic, but I doubt we will get a dragon lacking anything analogous to wings. 24 is a lot of breeds to get before a single one breaks that particular pattern. (Though if we are going to talk about Pokemon, they've started making birds that are primary flying-type, so nothing is forever.)

It might be worth pointing out that "wingspan" is (currently) a metric displayed on every dragon, even the ones that technically have fins. Obviously they have the power to change that, in general or for a specific breed, but it seems part of the current standard for a dragon to have a wingspan of some kind, and sandsurges qualify.

I do think that nonstandard wings are a possibility: sticking out from under a shell or plating; gliding patagia; resembling a branchial plume; draped like a cloak; streamers or tatters; even just fishier fins...

I was kind of hoping for "wings sticking out under the armor" with dusthides, but guess not. Maybe another time.
I think you could make a wingless dragon in FR's aesthetic, but I doubt we will get a dragon lacking anything analogous to wings. 24 is a lot of breeds to get before a single one breaks that particular pattern. (Though if we are going to talk about Pokemon, they've started making birds that are primary flying-type, so nothing is forever.)

It might be worth pointing out that "wingspan" is (currently) a metric displayed on every dragon, even the ones that technically have fins. Obviously they have the power to change that, in general or for a specific breed, but it seems part of the current standard for a dragon to have a wingspan of some kind, and sandsurges qualify.

I do think that nonstandard wings are a possibility: sticking out from under a shell or plating; gliding patagia; resembling a branchial plume; draped like a cloak; streamers or tatters; even just fishier fins...

I was kind of hoping for "wings sticking out under the armor" with dusthides, but guess not. Maybe another time.
they/them
@PeachyGremlin What I'm saying is Flightrising will be 100% okay with a wingless dragon. Not every breed needs wings, or wings forced in their design. Undertides have wings forced in their design. They're eels. They would have benefited with fan fins like Sandsurge. Sandsurge doesn't need wings. It comes across as not logical to the behaviors a breed has if the design is off. But in Flightrising lore, THEY ARE STILL DRAGONS. Do you understand what I'm trying to say? Wings do not define a dragon.
@PeachyGremlin What I'm saying is Flightrising will be 100% okay with a wingless dragon. Not every breed needs wings, or wings forced in their design. Undertides have wings forced in their design. They're eels. They would have benefited with fan fins like Sandsurge. Sandsurge doesn't need wings. It comes across as not logical to the behaviors a breed has if the design is off. But in Flightrising lore, THEY ARE STILL DRAGONS. Do you understand what I'm trying to say? Wings do not define a dragon.
FeIiZnO.png
I feel sorry for the artist that created this breed to look at this thread of people disappointed of it the design of it.

I see this dragon as a new light of Fr, is a new look of a design that fits in the fr style easily and well. I’m not saying if i don’t like it or i do but i kinder reminds me of alot of things of real life stuff. Like Many lizards, skinks/snakes and creatures under the sea have smooths/scale heads. So having a head of boldness is a one step towards unique! Having wings to them also make them represent dragons, i know theres alot other design of dragons not having wings but remember - this is fr. Artist have imagination plus i wouldn’t like to copy thing that exist in design. And of course that tail, that design needs to be kinder large for the storyline to go with!

Its a breed that is unique and different style to compare to many others! I wouldn’t like to work on something similar to other designs when fr need different style dragons!

I feel sorry for the artist that created this breed to look at this thread of people disappointed of it the design of it.

I see this dragon as a new light of Fr, is a new look of a design that fits in the fr style easily and well. I’m not saying if i don’t like it or i do but i kinder reminds me of alot of things of real life stuff. Like Many lizards, skinks/snakes and creatures under the sea have smooths/scale heads. So having a head of boldness is a one step towards unique! Having wings to them also make them represent dragons, i know theres alot other design of dragons not having wings but remember - this is fr. Artist have imagination plus i wouldn’t like to copy thing that exist in design. And of course that tail, that design needs to be kinder large for the storyline to go with!

Its a breed that is unique and different style to compare to many others! I wouldn’t like to work on something similar to other designs when fr need different style dragons!

35326_s.gif
[quote name="Anky" date="2024-04-20 14:21:07" ] @/PeachyGremlin What I'm saying is Flightrising will be 100% okay with a wingless dragon. Not every breed needs wings, or wings forced in their design. Undertides have wings forced in their design. They're eels. They would have benefited with fan fins like Sandsurge. Sandsurge doesn't need wings. It comes across as not logical to the behaviors a breed has. But in Flightrising lore, THEY ARE STILL DRAGONS. Do you understand what I'm trying to say? Wings do not define a dragon. [/quote] um. that feels pretty rude to the designs to say that the wings are [i]forced[/i] into their designs when that's just a design choice?? Without the wings they would basically just be eels, they aren't just supposed to be literal eels. I personally really like the way the wings are done on undertides and other breeds, they feel unique and tailored to the specific breeds very well, none of it feels 'forced' to me at all. It feels like you're just insulting the dragon designs now because you don't personally like them.
Anky wrote on 2024-04-20 14:21:07:
@/PeachyGremlin What I'm saying is Flightrising will be 100% okay with a wingless dragon. Not every breed needs wings, or wings forced in their design. Undertides have wings forced in their design. They're eels. They would have benefited with fan fins like Sandsurge. Sandsurge doesn't need wings. It comes across as not logical to the behaviors a breed has. But in Flightrising lore, THEY ARE STILL DRAGONS. Do you understand what I'm trying to say? Wings do not define a dragon.

um. that feels pretty rude to the designs to say that the wings are forced into their designs when that's just a design choice?? Without the wings they would basically just be eels, they aren't just supposed to be literal eels. I personally really like the way the wings are done on undertides and other breeds, they feel unique and tailored to the specific breeds very well, none of it feels 'forced' to me at all. It feels like you're just insulting the dragon designs now because you don't personally like them.
MyFQi8g.png
@voidsnake The wings on Undertides look so out of place to me. Sorry. Not being rude, but it stands out so much to me. The art is okay, but the wings just stick out. To me personally the design needs more work, and Undertides read water dragons to me. Wing design is going to be different when it comes to living under water. You don't have to agree with me.
@voidsnake The wings on Undertides look so out of place to me. Sorry. Not being rude, but it stands out so much to me. The art is okay, but the wings just stick out. To me personally the design needs more work, and Undertides read water dragons to me. Wing design is going to be different when it comes to living under water. You don't have to agree with me.
FeIiZnO.png
ok and you don't have to agree with me but just because you don't personally like the design or would prefer to just see a normal eel doesn't mean the wings are forced on, that's still a rude comment. I think they fit the design quite well and they're clearly designed to work with the rest of the design to me
ok and you don't have to agree with me but just because you don't personally like the design or would prefer to just see a normal eel doesn't mean the wings are forced on, that's still a rude comment. I think they fit the design quite well and they're clearly designed to work with the rest of the design to me
MyFQi8g.png
having read this whole thread as a certified dusthide not-enjoyerTM (not a hater; just a not-liker) I really don't understand why people go into threads about disliking [thing] just to try to convince people that they're wrong, or to talk about how much they love [thing]. I think it's kind of rude, tbh. if someone were to go into a thread about how much someone loves [thing] and talk about how much they dislike it, or try to convince people to dislike it too, that would also be rude. I'm also not sure why someone would go into a thread that's clearly going to be more on the negative side, and then complain that all the negativity is upsetting them. my brother in dragons, you did not have to enter the thread!

anyways, I think dusthides would've been cooler if they'd been wingless; I was really hoping for there to be like a shell or plating instead. I want a turtle dragon with secondary genes that affect the shell! I think that sounds neat. reading all the debate about body types has made me want wyrms with flowing manes for secondary genes too, although that's probably too veilspun-like to ever happen.
having read this whole thread as a certified dusthide not-enjoyerTM (not a hater; just a not-liker) I really don't understand why people go into threads about disliking [thing] just to try to convince people that they're wrong, or to talk about how much they love [thing]. I think it's kind of rude, tbh. if someone were to go into a thread about how much someone loves [thing] and talk about how much they dislike it, or try to convince people to dislike it too, that would also be rude. I'm also not sure why someone would go into a thread that's clearly going to be more on the negative side, and then complain that all the negativity is upsetting them. my brother in dragons, you did not have to enter the thread!

anyways, I think dusthides would've been cooler if they'd been wingless; I was really hoping for there to be like a shell or plating instead. I want a turtle dragon with secondary genes that affect the shell! I think that sounds neat. reading all the debate about body types has made me want wyrms with flowing manes for secondary genes too, although that's probably too veilspun-like to ever happen.
they/them
returning for my bi annual check in just to say that these are little guys. and they're just rolling about. that's all
returning for my bi annual check in just to say that these are little guys. and they're just rolling about. that's all
aPEZ8RI.png
I don't think there's anything wrong with sharing varied opinions as long as people respect that it's just their own opinion and aren't invalidating other people's opinions. I've read through the entire thread and didn't really see anyone telling others they have to like the breed or anything, mostly just people saying that some of the comments saying things like that dusthides are objectively bad or flawed or like being rude to the artists saying they're rushed or such are too harsh. It's ok to not like the new breed, but I feel like some of the comments go beyond sharing negative opinions and some even are insulting to the artists, so just nice to remember that even if a lot of people don't like the dusthides, other people still do like them and it's just a matter of personal opinion. I think that's more what people are saying, not trying to convince people that they're wrong about disliking the breed or anything.
I don't think there's anything wrong with sharing varied opinions as long as people respect that it's just their own opinion and aren't invalidating other people's opinions. I've read through the entire thread and didn't really see anyone telling others they have to like the breed or anything, mostly just people saying that some of the comments saying things like that dusthides are objectively bad or flawed or like being rude to the artists saying they're rushed or such are too harsh. It's ok to not like the new breed, but I feel like some of the comments go beyond sharing negative opinions and some even are insulting to the artists, so just nice to remember that even if a lot of people don't like the dusthides, other people still do like them and it's just a matter of personal opinion. I think that's more what people are saying, not trying to convince people that they're wrong about disliking the breed or anything.
MyFQi8g.png
To be honest, as someone who was excited for an Earth ancient that was mole-like, I was hoping for more spikes and bigger claws. Spores should have been part of the base anatomy, not a gene on a smooth-looking dragon.

"Oh well since they curl into balls and roll around, it wouldn't work realistically" isn't the winning argument you may think it is, considering I feel like many breeds shouldn't be able to fly with the wings they have (Fae wings shouldn't be able to catch air).

Maybe it'll grow on me, but for now, these smooth, bald lizards are kind of a letdown.
To be honest, as someone who was excited for an Earth ancient that was mole-like, I was hoping for more spikes and bigger claws. Spores should have been part of the base anatomy, not a gene on a smooth-looking dragon.

"Oh well since they curl into balls and roll around, it wouldn't work realistically" isn't the winning argument you may think it is, considering I feel like many breeds shouldn't be able to fly with the wings they have (Fae wings shouldn't be able to catch air).

Maybe it'll grow on me, but for now, these smooth, bald lizards are kind of a letdown.
Anim-spiral.gifx lore clan
spiral fan
rp friendly
for sale
free tiny buttons
xcorgi with feather pen
1 2 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33