Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | ...Dissapointed w/ the Dusthides
1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 32 33
They're okay !

... For modern standards. I feel like I'd like them a lot more if they were moderns - they look like they'd fit in just right with the others, they'd be able to breed with them, wear their clothes, get a large panel of genes with interesting accent...

The design in itself is pretty fun (tho I'm not a huge fan of the different poses. The three of them have the same feel, if that makes any sense? I got two males, and when I aged them up in the workshop to see what they'd look like, the Adulte Male pose looked nearly identical to the Hatchling pose to me? Like it took me a second to realize it had really changed the picture), I like the head even if I was also hoping for a funnier, weirder snout. The hands are cute too !

But it's another Ancients with an extremely safe design, something that can be said about... All of them? Even Abberations with their incredibly sweet Double Head Gimmick aren't all that weird. I feel like that's on me, the first "We're making Ancients, a new set of dragon breeds that will break the mold :)" statement gave me too much hope. I'm starting to think I read too much into it, since no mold has been broken since.

It's not a big deal, it's still a fun little dragon breed that gives us new customization and breeding options, but it's another Ancient that makes me long for something weirder.
They're okay !

... For modern standards. I feel like I'd like them a lot more if they were moderns - they look like they'd fit in just right with the others, they'd be able to breed with them, wear their clothes, get a large panel of genes with interesting accent...

The design in itself is pretty fun (tho I'm not a huge fan of the different poses. The three of them have the same feel, if that makes any sense? I got two males, and when I aged them up in the workshop to see what they'd look like, the Adulte Male pose looked nearly identical to the Hatchling pose to me? Like it took me a second to realize it had really changed the picture), I like the head even if I was also hoping for a funnier, weirder snout. The hands are cute too !

But it's another Ancients with an extremely safe design, something that can be said about... All of them? Even Abberations with their incredibly sweet Double Head Gimmick aren't all that weird. I feel like that's on me, the first "We're making Ancients, a new set of dragon breeds that will break the mold :)" statement gave me too much hope. I'm starting to think I read too much into it, since no mold has been broken since.

It's not a big deal, it's still a fun little dragon breed that gives us new customization and breeding options, but it's another Ancient that makes me long for something weirder.
tumblr_inline_pawby3qPs91rbjkvp_540.png
[quote name="Luckyclaw" date="2024-04-17 23:59:28" ] Seems like the most popular sentiment is some flavor of, "They're too plain, they need linebreaking genes to look good" and I can't help but think, That's What Apparel Is For. But they can't have apparel because they are ancients. And they're ancients, in spite of perfectly following the 2x4 body plan, becauseeee..... quick content I guess? [/quote] Yesss you get it. Imagine a world where Dusthides could wear cowboy hats and rogue capes, and we got spores and veil as apparel items instead. It would've been more work for the staff, but I don't think we really needed another ancient release right now. I absolutely adore Dusthides, definitely my new favourite ancient. But they would've made for such a good new modern :/
Luckyclaw wrote on 2024-04-17 23:59:28:
Seems like the most popular sentiment is some flavor of, "They're too plain, they need linebreaking genes to look good" and I can't help but think, That's What Apparel Is For. But they can't have apparel because they are ancients. And they're ancients, in spite of perfectly following the 2x4 body plan, becauseeee..... quick content I guess?

Yesss you get it. Imagine a world where Dusthides could wear cowboy hats and rogue capes, and we got spores and veil as apparel items instead. It would've been more work for the staff, but I don't think we really needed another ancient release right now. I absolutely adore Dusthides, definitely my new favourite ancient. But they would've made for such a good new modern :/
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
7G6xGb.png
I 100% agree with the ‘dusthides would have made great moderns’. I would have zero objections to them if they were able to wear apparel - they’re so well suited for it! It really feels like that’s what’s missing from them.
I 100% agree with the ‘dusthides would have made great moderns’. I would have zero objections to them if they were able to wear apparel - they’re so well suited for it! It really feels like that’s what’s missing from them.
plague.gif ash | late 20s | they / them | FR+0
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
» Free Dragons & Hatchlings
» Wishlist by Dragon or Price
» Personal Long Drop Challenge
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
talk to me if you're selling G1s
in the cinnamon > auburn range
I'm trying to like them, I'll see if they'll grow on me. While I'm not a fan of Ancients in general the Dusthides seem extra confusing to me.
I'm trying to like them, I'll see if they'll grow on me. While I'm not a fan of Ancients in general the Dusthides seem extra confusing to me.
2bf6nnX.pngmtHAEL4.pngaPfqvmf.pngmjtJ868.pngEIzJIWx.pngVHmdVcB.png8OcABDV.png R4RVavr.pngumLF6oK.gifqVw4IEL.pngGR4p3Uw.pngfqG5KmE.pngzfNtpTV.png

2674017.png2802457.png2804985.png2805970.png2806037.png
2806128.png2806314.png2806493.png2807548.png2807554.png
2807685.png2808480.png2808481.png2808485.png2808499.png
2808574.png2808764.png2808836.png2809949.png2812430.png
[quote name="@Luckyclaw" date="2024-04-17 23:59:28" ] I'll be honest, I've always been neutral at best about ancients. I like some of them, I have a few. But I've always had this nagging feeling that relying on them as "quick content" was going to end with bloat, turn some things that could have been apparel into terts, and make breed and gene releases feel less exciting overall. We barely move on from the last ancient before the new one comes out, and in this case, we literally didn't move on from auraboas, iirc their lore is still not totally fixed and the new writer was just onboarded. (And like... wasn't one of the "pros" of ancients to be that they could be small, lightweight releases that didn't add to an exponentially increasing workload? Because keeping all 9 ancients "fresh" with consistent gene releases so they don't seem neglected while also releasing up to 3 a year sure does look exponential to me. But without any longterm benefits like being able to breed them together or use apparel or easily swap between breeds while keeping their expensive genes) [/quote] at this point i'd rather wait 5+ years for an actual modern dragon than this slop tbh. modern breeds just have so much more variety and utility than ancients and their gimmick of having linebreaking terts is basically worthless and feels too out of place most of the time. a long wait for new breeds is just more appealing for me now. i really hope they release the ancient breed for each flight and then stop pumping out slop like they're a mcdonalds pink slime machine.
@Luckyclaw wrote on 2024-04-17 23:59:28:
I'll be honest, I've always been neutral at best about ancients. I like some of them, I have a few. But I've always had this nagging feeling that relying on them as "quick content" was going to end with bloat, turn some things that could have been apparel into terts, and make breed and gene releases feel less exciting overall. We barely move on from the last ancient before the new one comes out, and in this case, we literally didn't move on from auraboas, iirc their lore is still not totally fixed and the new writer was just onboarded.

(And like... wasn't one of the "pros" of ancients to be that they could be small, lightweight releases that didn't add to an exponentially increasing workload? Because keeping all 9 ancients "fresh" with consistent gene releases so they don't seem neglected while also releasing up to 3 a year sure does look exponential to me. But without any longterm benefits like being able to breed them together or use apparel or easily swap between breeds while keeping their expensive genes)
at this point i'd rather wait 5+ years for an actual modern dragon than this slop tbh. modern breeds just have so much more variety and utility than ancients and their gimmick of having linebreaking terts is basically worthless and feels too out of place most of the time. a long wait for new breeds is just more appealing for me now. i really hope they release the ancient breed for each flight and then stop pumping out slop like they're a mcdonalds pink slime machine.
I have nothing to say that hasn't already been said on this thread. It's quite disappointing that the gaerd was right there with pages upon pages of support and they couldn't just.. do that.
I have nothing to say that hasn't already been said on this thread. It's quite disappointing that the gaerd was right there with pages upon pages of support and they couldn't just.. do that.
The smooth and simple design of Dusthide does provide a great base for a large variety of linebreaking tertiary genes. There's a lot of potential in here to be unearthed. I think that Spores and Mandibles work especially well on them. Many people here have suggested platings, spikes and something to give the dragons a less bald look. These are really great ideas to explore. I think Dusthides are adorable, but I wouldn't say no to more fantastic genes [emoji=new friend size=1]
The smooth and simple design of Dusthide does provide a great base for a large variety of linebreaking tertiary genes. There's a lot of potential in here to be unearthed. I think that Spores and Mandibles work especially well on them. Many people here have suggested platings, spikes and something to give the dragons a less bald look. These are really great ideas to explore. I think Dusthides are adorable, but I wouldn't say no to more fantastic genes
8wF4Uc8.png
[quote name="Luckyclaw" date="2024-04-17 23:59:28" ] Seems like the most popular sentiment is some flavor of, "They're too plain, they need linebreaking genes to look good" and I can't help but think, That's What Apparel Is For. But they can't have apparel because they are ancients. And they're ancients, in spite of perfectly following the 2x4 body plan, becauseeee..... quick content I guess? [/quote] Yeah this is pretty much my thoughts on ancients in general. Even if the designs dont necessarily look bad, there's this running lack of substinance that makes the ancient system really struggle (in my eyes, at least, as someone who loves the customization of apparel) to justify that the limits of ancients are a worthwhile trade off on the players end for faster releases.
Luckyclaw wrote on 2024-04-17 23:59:28:
Seems like the most popular sentiment is some flavor of, "They're too plain, they need linebreaking genes to look good" and I can't help but think, That's What Apparel Is For. But they can't have apparel because they are ancients. And they're ancients, in spite of perfectly following the 2x4 body plan, becauseeee..... quick content I guess?

Yeah this is pretty much my thoughts on ancients in general. Even if the designs dont necessarily look bad, there's this running lack of substinance that makes the ancient system really struggle (in my eyes, at least, as someone who loves the customization of apparel) to justify that the limits of ancients are a worthwhile trade off on the players end for faster releases.

Sharpened Serthis Spear
I am the patron saint of having bad taste
(insert joke about heated water towers here)
I like them, but they look like moderns to me...
I wish their necks were thick and 'plated' kind of like their tails...
I think the main reason Ancients aren't breaking the mold as much as we'd like or expected is as simple as if these guys didn't have wings, what would the secondary color and genes be used on? Orb and Weaver... belly? Nope. We have Underbelly and if we don't, Orb extends to the belly anyway. Weaver... spines? Kind of too small to justify...
I think the main reason Ancients aren't breaking the mold as much as we'd like or expected is as simple as if these guys didn't have wings, what would the secondary color and genes be used on? Orb and Weaver... belly? Nope. We have Underbelly and if we don't, Orb extends to the belly anyway. Weaver... spines? Kind of too small to justify...
57351288p.png 80437372p.png LEpJMnn.png
kHBaXec.png
cdqdRxL.png
bX96R21.png
ll0CfnD.png
_____ 2VtxnMX.png
QUIpVFE.png
Pgv53XB.png
fRmh0SH.png
oczO35g.png
77147164p.png 48694802p.png
[quote name="IncompleteSky" date="2024-04-18 01:33:31" ] I like them, but they look like moderns to me... I wish their necks were thick and 'plated' kind of like their tails... I think the main reason Ancients aren't breaking the mold as much as we'd like or expected is as simple as if these guys didn't have wings, what would the secondary color and genes be used on? Orb and Weaver... belly? Nope. We have Underbelly and if we don't, Orb extends to the belly anyway. Weaver... spines? Kind of too small to justify... [/quote] You could put the secondary on a lot of different features - spikes, shell, plating... Anything ! We already have breeds that makes the secondary appear on manes and other body parts. To me it's even in the name - The primary is the "main" color of the dragon (the one the main body gets), the secondary is a body part/set of body part that gets a second color. Nothing is stopping staff from making a breed that's just a big floating sphere, to give it a big mouth with a huge tongue sticking out and going "The secondary color goes on the tongue". Obviously, the Ancients we have right now weren't designed with a wing-less look in mind, so trying to find some room to stick the secondaries on them will not work. But we can always hope a precious little mold breaker will eventually come :)
IncompleteSky wrote on 2024-04-18 01:33:31:

You could put the secondary on a lot of different features - spikes, shell, plating... Anything ! We already have breeds that makes the secondary appear on manes and other body parts. To me it's even in the name - The primary is the "main" color of the dragon (the one the main body gets), the secondary is a body part/set of body part that gets a second color. Nothing is stopping staff from making a breed that's just a big floating sphere, to give it a big mouth with a huge tongue sticking out and going "The secondary color goes on the tongue".

Obviously, the Ancients we have right now weren't designed with a wing-less look in mind, so trying to find some room to stick the secondaries on them will not work. But we can always hope a precious little mold breaker will eventually come :)
tumblr_inline_pawby3qPs91rbjkvp_540.png
1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 32 33