Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Diacritics in dragon names
1 2 3 4 5
i feel like the profanity filter/workaround argument by staff doesnt work because ive seen people name their dragons some crazy stuff that should be caught but still gets through
i feel like the profanity filter/workaround argument by staff doesnt work because ive seen people name their dragons some crazy stuff that should be caught but still gets through
41328.png -
cillian || adult || he/they
Candy Coated Dragons
adopts: obelisk | aether
@yiq
I agree, it doesn't seem likely to me, but it's something I'd like to see, so I thought I might as well suggest it, I mean I guess that's what the suggestions forum is here for, even if it won't happen.
Yes, there would have to be a good filtering system, I really think they should focus it on offensive and hateful content more than general profanity, if we're going to talk about how the time would be more well spent.
People are bringing up the filtering which I hadn't thought of, but I think I was thinking could be a larger problem is coding and font compatibility. General coding compatibility shouldn't be too hard, but if the fonts they have do not support unicode characters they would have to change them or else they would look strange.
The coding for the coliseum is one thing that would come to mind, it seems a bit older and might only support ASCII.
But yeah, not something I necessarily expect to happen, just something I wanted to suggest, just in case maybe one day!
@yiq
I agree, it doesn't seem likely to me, but it's something I'd like to see, so I thought I might as well suggest it, I mean I guess that's what the suggestions forum is here for, even if it won't happen.
Yes, there would have to be a good filtering system, I really think they should focus it on offensive and hateful content more than general profanity, if we're going to talk about how the time would be more well spent.
People are bringing up the filtering which I hadn't thought of, but I think I was thinking could be a larger problem is coding and font compatibility. General coding compatibility shouldn't be too hard, but if the fonts they have do not support unicode characters they would have to change them or else they would look strange.
The coding for the coliseum is one thing that would come to mind, it seems a bit older and might only support ASCII.
But yeah, not something I necessarily expect to happen, just something I wanted to suggest, just in case maybe one day!
As I said, I'm also supportive of them adding such a thing, but also a part of me is like 'well, they haven't had plans to add spacing or numbers in dragons names afaik...' also. Suggestion forums are also for discussion, so I wanted to chime on why they possibly haven't done even those yet for dragons names. [emoji=guardian tongue size=2] and true, that's also something to take into consideration. I hadn't thought about the coliseum specifically.
As I said, I'm also supportive of them adding such a thing, but also a part of me is like 'well, they haven't had plans to add spacing or numbers in dragons names afaik...' also. Suggestion forums are also for discussion, so I wanted to chime on why they possibly haven't done even those yet for dragons names.

and true, that's also something to take into consideration. I hadn't thought about the coliseum specifically.
CO4hmv7.gif8xbWHuG.gif
The filter system doesn't work anyway. I don't see why diacritics would make it any worse when these dragons exist Edit: FOR THE RECORD I 100% support a better filter, I just want to express why it's not a great argument as-is! [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/33205806][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/332059/33205806_350.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/80761198][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/807612/80761198_350.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/50101849][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/501019/50101849_350.png[/img][/url][/center]
The filter system doesn't work anyway. I don't see why diacritics would make it any worse when these dragons exist

Edit: FOR THE RECORD I 100% support a better filter, I just want to express why it's not a great argument as-is!
33205806_350.png80761198_350.png50101849_350.png

G2 Sandsurges!
Wasp/Flair/Augment
300g/kt
88403293.png88403294.png88403295.png88403296.png
Full support, more name options is always welcome!
Full support, more name options is always welcome!
899b13958bd8dd6201cfc8808fbe7689b2ce2e3d.png
FbBE7dN.png
bYt72YT.png
y2UYCzJ.png
a69iToJ.png
mlHpBMC.png
Ap2AjBP.gif
o090-d01-Sinornis.pngo090-d02-Sinornis.pngo090-d03-Sinornis.pngo090-d04-Sinornis.pngo090-d05-Sinornis.png
[quote name="SunstonePhoenix" date="2024-04-05 19:59:30" ] The filter system doesn't work anyway. I don't see why diacritics would make it any worse when these dragons exist Edit: FOR THE RECORD I 100% support a better filter, I just want to express why it's not a great argument as-is! [/quote] You know there's this awesome feature called reporting yeah? Just report the dragons name and move on. Not put them on blast in the forums.
SunstonePhoenix wrote on 2024-04-05 19:59:30:
The filter system doesn't work anyway. I don't see why diacritics would make it any worse when these dragons exist

Edit: FOR THE RECORD I 100% support a better filter, I just want to express why it's not a great argument as-is!

You know there's this awesome feature called reporting yeah? Just report the dragons name and move on. Not put them on blast in the forums.
3+ Hours |
ALWAYS Ping me!
YXIQUNz.gif
I mean, names like those getting through only solidifies my reasoning why they have not even added spacing or numbers at the bare minimum, it would make it worse. The naming is unfortunately very limiting because dragons effect many players, you breed dragons, sell them, people buy dragons and name them which affects other dragons pages. I would love more options but as people have said the filtering isn't perfect as is and would need to be updated.

There are also more 'inappropriate' words that aren't just curses and swears that are far worse, I'm pretty EXCLUSIVELY talking about racial slurs which can be triggering to non-white players.
Not sure why I have to spell it out. ( I do know why actually :3c)

All I'm saying is if they add this I'm begging them to please update their filtering and to not make it even worse because it's clearly something they neglect to update already.
I mean, names like those getting through only solidifies my reasoning why they have not even added spacing or numbers at the bare minimum, it would make it worse. The naming is unfortunately very limiting because dragons effect many players, you breed dragons, sell them, people buy dragons and name them which affects other dragons pages. I would love more options but as people have said the filtering isn't perfect as is and would need to be updated.

There are also more 'inappropriate' words that aren't just curses and swears that are far worse, I'm pretty EXCLUSIVELY talking about racial slurs which can be triggering to non-white players.
Not sure why I have to spell it out. ( I do know why actually :3c)

All I'm saying is if they add this I'm begging them to please update their filtering and to not make it even worse because it's clearly something they neglect to update already.
CO4hmv7.gif8xbWHuG.gif
@yiq
i totally agree that slurs and hateful language are a much larger problems than swearing. like. i couldn't care less about swearing in forums and names etc. but i'm not sure spaces, numbers, and diacritics would make it worse. it's why you have to spell it out. this is so largely a white website and i think the occurrence of racial and ethnic slurs and offensive speech remaining a larger problem than like. curse words is indicative of a systemic problem (caring more about ridding of cursing and 'inappropriate' language than offensive racial slurs and language) than a mechanical problem. and i'm not entirely sure how much it is being stopped by the filters in the first place vs how much it is being stopped by reporting.
i'm an indigenous person and a jew. i'm aware how it could be used against me, though i don't want that to be used as a reason for me to not be able to accurately represent my language.
my main point is, i think if it's to the point that numbers and spaces can't be used in dragon names due to fear of its abuse by racists, then there is clearly a much larger problem at hand.
i don't disagree with you at all on the problem, and i'm glad you brought it up
@yiq
i totally agree that slurs and hateful language are a much larger problems than swearing. like. i couldn't care less about swearing in forums and names etc. but i'm not sure spaces, numbers, and diacritics would make it worse. it's why you have to spell it out. this is so largely a white website and i think the occurrence of racial and ethnic slurs and offensive speech remaining a larger problem than like. curse words is indicative of a systemic problem (caring more about ridding of cursing and 'inappropriate' language than offensive racial slurs and language) than a mechanical problem. and i'm not entirely sure how much it is being stopped by the filters in the first place vs how much it is being stopped by reporting.
i'm an indigenous person and a jew. i'm aware how it could be used against me, though i don't want that to be used as a reason for me to not be able to accurately represent my language.
my main point is, i think if it's to the point that numbers and spaces can't be used in dragon names due to fear of its abuse by racists, then there is clearly a much larger problem at hand.
i don't disagree with you at all on the problem, and i'm glad you brought it up
[quote name="Mussukat" date="2024-04-06 04:23:57" ] [quote name="SunstonePhoenix" date="2024-04-05 19:59:30" ] The filter system doesn't work anyway. I don't see why diacritics would make it any worse when these dragons exist Edit: FOR THE RECORD I 100% support a better filter, I just want to express why it's not a great argument as-is! [/quote] You know there's this awesome feature called reporting yeah? Just report the dragons name and move on. Not put them on blast in the forums. [/quote] this the dragons listed in sunstone's post are literally a perfect example of what i was talking about in my reply yes reporting them is the better option, but actually having proof is very good in the argument of "you say we can't have this because of <problem>" when they arent even handling <problem> to begin with also on the off chance they reported them prior to posting them here, it's not like reporting the dragon instantly nukes it off the face of the planet (i also reported them and the account holder for one of them) [size=2]i think the names are funny too tbh but i understand they can't be on the site
Mussukat wrote on 2024-04-06 04:23:57:
SunstonePhoenix wrote on 2024-04-05 19:59:30:

You know there's this awesome feature called reporting yeah? Just report the dragons name and move on. Not put them on blast in the forums.
this the dragons listed in sunstone's post are literally a perfect example of what i was talking about in my reply

yes reporting them is the better option, but actually having proof is very good in the argument of "you say we can't have this because of <problem>" when they arent even handling <problem> to begin with

also on the off chance they reported them prior to posting them here, it's not like reporting the dragon instantly nukes it off the face of the planet (i also reported them and the account holder for one of them)

i think the names are funny too tbh but i understand they can't be on the site
41328.png -
cillian || adult || he/they
Candy Coated Dragons
adopts: obelisk | aether
Actually kind of insane to me the dragons that person linked got through. What kind of filter are they using if it can’t pick those up lmao????

Update the filter to catch swears, slurs, etc. and allow diacritics. If the filter was made right (I imagine there are pre-made ones?) it should “see” through diacritics just fine. And in special cases like OP’s example, just add exceptions.
Actually kind of insane to me the dragons that person linked got through. What kind of filter are they using if it can’t pick those up lmao????

Update the filter to catch swears, slurs, etc. and allow diacritics. If the filter was made right (I imagine there are pre-made ones?) it should “see” through diacritics just fine. And in special cases like OP’s example, just add exceptions.
> My tumblr
> My AO3
X
An angry-looking night elf woman with short green hair and a burn scar on her left cheek, looking to the viewer's right.A night elf woman with purple facial tattoos and purple hair, looking at the viewer with a confident smirk.
she/her | 18+ | FR+2 | brain full of night elves
>> Avatar
>> I love pings!
>> PixelZ, not PixelS!
xxxdont%20feed%20the%20ai.gif
1 2 3 4 5